half of Saudi women are beaten at home, desert people are less violent

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
http://www.emirates247.com/crime/region/nearly-half-saudi-women-are-beaten-at-home-2013-02-26-1.496510 Nearly half Saudi women are beaten up by their husbands or other family members at home and many of them are hit by sticks and head cover, according to a university study published in local newspapers on Tuesday. Surprisingly, the study found that the Bedouin men who still dwell the desert in the conservative Gulf Kingdom, are less violent than Saudi men in urban areas. The study was conducted by Dr Lateefa Abdul Lateef, a social science professor at King Saud University in the Capital Riyadh. It involved female students at the university and some Saudi women covered by the governments social security. The study showed that nearly half those covered by social security and more than a third of the female students at the university are beaten up at home, Dr Lateefa said, quoted by the Saudi Arabic language daily Almadina. Husbands were found to be beating their wives more than others.they are followed by fathers, then brothers then sonshands and sticks were found to be used mostly in beating women, following by mens head cover and to a lesser extent, sharp objects. The study showed that husbands beating their wives included both educated and non-educated men and that those dwelling in the desert are less violent with their wives than those living in cities or villages. The study found that the main reasons for violence against women include poor religious motives, drug addiction and alcoholism, arrogance and a tendency to control, psychological problems, poverty, and unemployment.
indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

This thread is going to end well

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

It wasn't too long ago that people in America did the same thing.

"The rule of thumb" meant you couldn't beat your wife with a stick bigger around than your thumb.

That and some Latino men today, think it's okay to go by Mexico's rules when it comes to that.

It's closer to home than you think.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

Which half, top or bottom?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178849 Posts

"The rule of thumb" meant you couldn't beat your wife with a stick bigger around than your thumb.

That and some Latino men today, think it's okay to go by Mexico's rules when it comes to that.

TheHighWind
:roll:
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
I always feel so sorry for females in the middle east. They have no right and get treated like dirt.
MannyDelgado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MannyDelgado
Member since 2011 • 1187 Posts

TheHighWind
dat self-hating liberalism
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
I always feel so sorry for females in the middle east. They have no right and get treated like dirt. AmazonTreeBoa
I feel sad for them too.. why hurting women for anyway?!
punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

I always feel so sorry for females in the middle east. They have no right and get treated like dirt. AmazonTreeBoa

especially in a male "dominat" society when woman's rights are revoked even the ones in islam which should be upheld.

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#10 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

indzman
Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts

And they are some of the most beautiful women in the world too. 

:(

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

That's just their customs

It's seen as the correct thing to do there

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SaudiFury

That's just their customs

It's seen as the correct thing to do there

Jaysonguy
not really....
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

TheHighWind

Really? Does EVERY thread have to turn into a US thread? :roll:

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

shroof and grayfox will defend this.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LJS9502_basic
]Really? Does EVERY thread have to turn into a US thread? :roll:Pirate700
Some kids just think that makes them cool....rather than what they really are....a tool.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]]Really? Does EVERY thread have to turn into a US thread? :roll:LJS9502_basic
Some kids just think that makes them cool....rather than what they really are....a tool.

That's starting to be my read on it. Very annoying.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]]Really? Does EVERY thread have to turn into a US thread? :roll:Pirate700

mhm
Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Some kids just think that makes them cool....rather than what they really are....a tool.dave123321

mhm

*nods

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheHighWind

[QUOTE="TheHighWind"]

Pirate700

I love the US, I just thought I'd turn this thread into a history lesson. ;)

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dave123321

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="TheHighWind"]

TheHighWind

Why do you hate yourself so much? TC isn't even from the US btw
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="TheHighWind"]

TheHighWind

How educational of you...

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SaudiFury
[QUOTE="TheHighWind"]

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]Really? Does EVERY thread have to turn into a US thread? :roll:

dave123321

no but he sure hates Muslims and makes no secret of his disdain towards them in his own country of Malaysia. I'm not bashing him for posting this thread, but i recognize the messenger and their intent. If he's ever said anything positive i've never heard it, so my regard for him on this subject of Muslims/Arabs/Islam is pretty low, but it's reciprocated and have no reason to be play nice or join in the discussion with such people even if on any particular issue such as this one i might agree that it is horrible and bad.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dave123321
Think tc is purposely trying to offend. A game. It works I guess. Or maybe he doesn't realize it
TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheHighWind

[QUOTE="dave123321"][QUOTE="TheHighWind"]

SaudiFury

no but he sure hates Muslims and makes no secret of his disdain towards them in his own country of Malaysia. I'm not bashing him for posting this thread, but i recognize the messenger and their intent. If he's ever said anything positive i've never heard it, so my regard for him on this subject of Muslims/Arabs/Islam is pretty low, but it's reciprocated and have no reason to be play nice or join in the discussion with such people even if on any particular issue such as this one i might agree that it is horrible and bad.

Isn't Muslim a fun word? Sounds like something soft and snuggly you can hug.

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SaudiFury

Think tc is purposely trying to offend. A game. It works I guess. Or maybe he doesn't realize itdave123321
you got a lot of posts and have been here for a very long time. surely you keep a track record in your mind of the regular users and where they stand on issues a lot.

it's one of the primary reasons i don't post often on the forums, on any given subject i can already guess what side everyone is gonna take.

lonelynight i like him, except when it comes to Muslims/Islam/Arabs, and he has openly spoken about his disdain towards the Muslims in his own country, basically calling them leeches on existing infrastructure. time and time again he shows it.

so i ask, if you knew someone who was an anti-semite (and you were Jewish) but you both loved video games, would you REALLY wanna be nice and be friends?

and i don't think lonelynight is trying to offend, i'm beyond being offended especially by something like this that surprises no one. But all it does as i see it is further inflame peoples negative opinion and sentiments, and it's not helpful. but that's besides the point if it's just one incident, it's telling when it's like someones 'thing' to do on the forum. 

T-Bone91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 T-Bone91
Member since 2013 • 283 Posts
I thought this was common knowledge in the west.I lived in KSA for 15 years in a predominantly arab area and the arab neighbours I had used to beat their wives and daughters.During winters when air conditioners were not used I could actually hear the women scream in pain.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

This is probably one of the least surprising things I've heard in a while.

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
In summation as always: Muslims= bad. China = good!
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38681 Posts

indzman
nah.. like most it'll burn itself out w/ people arguing semantics WAAAAAY beyond any original points people were trying to make..
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dave123321

[QUOTE="dave123321"]Think tc is purposely trying to offend. A game. It works I guess. Or maybe he doesn't realize itSaudiFury

you got a lot of posts and have been here for a very long time. surely you keep a track record in your mind of the regular users and where they stand on issues a lot.

it's one of the primary reasons i don't post often on the forums, on any given subject i can already guess what side everyone is gonna take.

lonelynight i like him, except when it comes to Muslims/Islam/Arabs, and he has openly spoken about his disdain towards the Muslims in his own country, basically calling them leeches on existing infrastructure. time and time again he shows it.

so i ask, if you knew someone who was an anti-semite (and you were Jewish) but you both loved video games, would you REALLY wanna be nice and be friends?

and i don't think lonelynight is trying to offend, i'm beyond being offended especially by something like this that surprises no one. But all it does as i see it is further inflame peoples negative opinion and sentiments, and it's not helpful. but that's besides the point if it's just one incident, it's telling when it's like someones 'thing' to do on the forum. 

I understand where you're coming from.
indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

SaudiFury

agree completely

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LJS9502_basic

SaudiFury

Are you saying his statement is wrong?
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SaudiFury

[QUOTE="SaudiFury"][QUOTE="dave123321"] Why do you hate yourself so much? TC isn't even from the US btwLJS9502_basic

i expect that we'll be entering into a semantics arguement with endless amounts of questioning. his statment was nothing, he took excerpts from a news article about a study made at the King Saud University then posted it on the forum. what he posted was true, nor surprising for anyone who'se been here for any length of time.

I do think it's awful and horrible, and have - when i can - fight for the rights and opportunities of women, foreign workers, and children in this country.

but i recognize who is the messenger, their track record of posts, and their past texted words. and i recognize the **** image Saudi already has, even amongst the forum, this post thread does not support discuession, it supports bashing and inflaming of further negative sentiments and hatred. From someone who has spoken often his disdain for Muslims in his own country.

if you knew someone had a long-time anti-American bent, even if that person was right, you still recognize who it's coming from.

Now maybe that's a hazy answer to you which prompt another 4-10 pages of incessent questions (as is typical of your style), but i think i made myself clear. Now if you wanna decide to put words in my mouth and jump to conclusions please feel free. i'm saving myself the headache.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="SaudiFury"] no but he sure hates Muslims and makes no secret of his disdain towards them in his own country of Malaysia. I'm not bashing him for posting this thread, but i recognize the messenger and their intent. If he's ever said anything positive i've never heard it, so my regard for him on this subject of Muslims/Arabs/Islam is pretty low, but it's reciprocated and have no reason to be play nice or join in the discussion with such people even if on any particular issue such as this one i might agree that it is horrible and bad. SaudiFury

i expect that we'll be entering into a semantics arguement with endless amounts of questioning. his statment was nothing, he took excerpts from a news article about a study made at the King Saud University then posted it on the forum. what he posted was not true, nor surprising for anyone who'se been here for any length of time. I do think it's awful and horrible, and have - when i can - fight for the rights and opportunities of women, foreign workers, and children in this country. but i recognize who is the messenger, their track record of posts, and their past texted words. if you knew someone had a long-time anti-American bent, even if that person was right, you still recognize who it's coming from. maybe that's a hazy answer to you which prompt another 4-10 pages of incessent questions (as is typical of your style), but i think i made myself clear. Now if you wanna decide to put words in my mouth and jump to conclusions please feel free. i'm saving myself the headache.

It's not semantics. I was talking about his source...not his opinion.

And since your style seems to be a whiny b*tch that doesn't want to carry on a conversation I guess we'll leave it at that. 

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SaudiFury

[QUOTE="SaudiFury"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Are you saying his statement is wrong?LJS9502_basic

i expect that we'll be entering into a semantics arguement with endless amounts of questioning. his statment was nothing, he took excerpts from a news article about a study made at the King Saud University then posted it on the forum. what he posted was not true, nor surprising for anyone who'se been here for any length of time. I do think it's awful and horrible, and have - when i can - fight for the rights and opportunities of women, foreign workers, and children in this country. but i recognize who is the messenger, their track record of posts, and their past texted words. if you knew someone had a long-time anti-American bent, even if that person was right, you still recognize who it's coming from. maybe that's a hazy answer to you which prompt another 4-10 pages of incessent questions (as is typical of your style), but i think i made myself clear. Now if you wanna decide to put words in my mouth and jump to conclusions please feel free. i'm saving myself the headache.

And since your style seems to be a whiny b*tch that doesn't want to carry on a conversation I guess we'll leave it at that. 

call me the whiny b*tich, i've seen your arguement style for years now and have entered into them many times before. i'll let someone else put up with you.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="SaudiFury"] i expect that we'll be entering into a semantics arguement with endless amounts of questioning. his statment was nothing, he took excerpts from a news article about a study made at the King Saud University then posted it on the forum. what he posted was not true, nor surprising for anyone who'se been here for any length of time. I do think it's awful and horrible, and have - when i can - fight for the rights and opportunities of women, foreign workers, and children in this country. but i recognize who is the messenger, their track record of posts, and their past texted words. if you knew someone had a long-time anti-American bent, even if that person was right, you still recognize who it's coming from. maybe that's a hazy answer to you which prompt another 4-10 pages of incessent questions (as is typical of your style), but i think i made myself clear. Now if you wanna decide to put words in my mouth and jump to conclusions please feel free. i'm saving myself the headache. SaudiFury

call me the whiny b*tich, i've seen your arguement style for years now and have entered into them many times before. i'll let someone else put up with you.

I asked on simple question based on his sources and you've done nothing but whine. So whine away....I won't be here to read your condescending drivel.

'Oh and those that have a problem conversing with me are generally those that can't defend their points.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
yeah its a shame, the poor Saudi people are forced to live by ancient customs and beliefs, such a waste of a large region of the world.
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SaudiFury

[QUOTE="SaudiFury"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] It's not semantics. I was talking about his source...not his opinion.

LJS9502_basic

I asked on simple question based on his sources and you've done nothing but whine. So whine away....I won't be here to read your condescending drivel.

'Oh and those that have a problem conversing with me are generally those that can't defend their points.

actually people just stop talking to you, not that they can't defend their points. seriously if you can't even check your own posting history, then i can't help you out. i've read literally reams of pages of going on and on over semantics, and incessant questionings between you and several users.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 tenaka2

On the plus side they get to dress up as ninjas so it works out even.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="SaudiFury"] call me the whiny b*tich, i've seen your arguement style for years now and have entered into them many times before. i'll let someone else put up with you.SaudiFury

actually people just stop talking to you, not that they can't defend their points. seriously if you can't even check your own posting history, then i can't help you out. i've read literally reams of pages of going on and on over semantics, and incessant questionings between you and several users.

I thought you were done talking with me. Trying hard for attention aren't you. I didn't start the semantics argument another user who doesn't post here much did. I just happened to get sucked into them with him. And since he made users here part of his daily life and I'm not one to join cliques I got accused of what he did. I never had any such semantic argument with you in the past....in fact we got along fine in many discussions until you decided to join the insecure children that liked to make a target of me due to my visibility. I have news for you ....when those kids mature they send me apologies for how they acted. I don't think they'd do that if they didn't think they were in the wrong. But you can continue to play the hate on LJ cause we think it's cool game or you can grow up as well. Grow up. Now take your advice and stop responding to me kid.

As for my post history....go further back and see reality.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LJS9502_basic

tenaka2
Ninjas aren't supposed to be beaten though.....
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SaudiFury

[QUOTE="SaudiFury"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] I asked on simple question based on his sources and you've done nothing but whine. So whine away....I won't be here to read your condescending drivel.

LJS9502_basic

I thought you were done talking with me. Trying hard for attention aren't you. I didn't start the semantics argument another user who doesn't post here much did. I just happened to get sucked into them with him. And since he made users here part of his daily life and I'm not one to join cliques I got accused of what he did. I never had any such semantic argument with you in the past....in fact we got along fine in many discussions until you decided to join the insecure children that liked to make a target of me due to my visibility. I have news for you ....when those kids mature they send me apologies for how they acted. I don't think they'd do that if they didn't think they were in the wrong. But you can continue to play the hate on LJ cause we think it's cool game or you can grow up as well. Grow up. Now take your advice and stop responding to me kid.

so you resort to calling me a child? ok....
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="SaudiFury"] actually people just stop talking to you, not that they can't defend their points. seriously if you can't even check your own posting history, then i can't help you out. i've read literally reams of pages of going on and on over semantics, and incessant questionings between you and several users. SaudiFury

You're acting like one. Stop trying so hard for attention. TC might have bias....but so do you. Therefore, you're not a good source to refute his opinions with your own. I notice you had nothing to back you up but ad hominems. TAKE YOUR ADVICE AND STOP TALKING WITH ME.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 tenaka2

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

LJS9502_basic

Domestic abuse is popular in many cultures and developing countries, this is just another bandwagon anti-muslem thread, while islam is an awful religion especially regarding womens rights, the number of threads on the matter is getting a little boring to say the least.

It should also be pointed out that is is legal to hit your wife in saudi. If I also remember correctly you said it was fine for uganda to execute gays because that was their law.

Forgive me if my memory is flawed on this issue, but that was a persons stance and i think it was yours but it could have been another user.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="tenaka2"]

tenaka2

Domestic abuse is popular in many cultures and developing cultures, this is just another bandwagon anti-muslem thread, while islam is an awful religion especially regarding womens rights, the number of threads on the matter is getting a little boring to say the least.

It should also be pointed out that is is legal to hit your wife in saudi. If I also remember correctly you said it was fine for uganda to execute gays because that was their law.

Forgive me if my memory is flawed on this issue, but that was a persons stance and i think it was yours but it could have been another user.

It was a joke about ninjas......you are too serious tenaka.

I will that though domestic abuse happens everywhere there is only one group that says it's justified.  That would be a segment of OT in case you're wondering what group.

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SaudiFury

[QUOTE="SaudiFury"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] I thought you were done talking with me. Trying hard for attention aren't you. I didn't start the semantics argument another user who doesn't post here much did. I just happened to get sucked into them with him. And since he made users here part of his daily life and I'm not one to join cliques I got accused of what he did. I never had any such semantic argument with you in the past....in fact we got along fine in many discussions until you decided to join the insecure children that liked to make a target of me due to my visibility. I have news for you ....when those kids mature they send me apologies for how they acted. I don't think they'd do that if they didn't think they were in the wrong. But you can continue to play the hate on LJ cause we think it's cool game or you can grow up as well. Grow up. Now take your advice and stop responding to me kid.

LJS9502_basic

You're acting like one. Stop trying to hard for attention. TC might have bias....but so do you. Therefore, you're not a good source to refute his opinions with your own. I notice you had nothing to back you up but ad hominems. TAKE YOUR ADVICE AND STOP TALKING WITH ME.

I never refuted his 'opinion' there was none on this thread! click the damn link and read the short article, it's copied and pasted from the article. and i don't disagree with the study, not do i support wife beatings - i never had, i even got into a session with you before that i had to make absolutely clear that i was absolutely against wife beatings. and i'll leave it at that, you can have the last word. but i wanna just make one thing clear, i accused you of arguing over semantics and asking incessant questions. you then called me a whiney b*tch and then a child, now trying hard for attention.

I didn't resort to name calling, you did.

I wanted to avoid getting into a long session with you, and will be doing so now.

again, you seem like a guy who likes to have last words in things, so have at it. i'm out.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 tenaka2

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Ninjas aren't supposed to be beaten though.....LJS9502_basic

Domestic abuse is popular in many cultures and developing cultures, this is just another bandwagon anti-muslem thread, while islam is an awful religion especially regarding womens rights, the number of threads on the matter is getting a little boring to say the least.

I'll take that as confirmation :P

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="SaudiFury"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="SaudiFury"] so you resort to calling me a child? ok....

You're acting like one. Stop trying to hard for attention. TC might have bias....but so do you. Therefore, you're not a good source to refute his opinions with your own. I notice you had nothing to back you up but ad hominems. TAKE YOUR ADVICE AND STOP TALKING WITH ME.

I never refuted his 'opinion' there was none on this thread! click the damn link and read the short article, it's copied and pasted from the article. and i don't disagree with the study, not do i support wife beatings - i never had, i even got into a session with you before that i had to make absolutely clear that i was absolutely against wife beatings. and i'll leave it at that, you can have the last word. but i wanna just make one thing clear, i accused you of arguing over semantics and asking incessant questions. you then called me a whiney b*tch and then a child, now trying hard for attention. I didn't resort to naming calling, you did. I wanted to avoid getting into a long session with you, and will be doing so now. again, you seem like a guy who likes to have last words in things, so have at it. i'm out.

You resorted to an insult first. Stop playing the victim. And it would be refreshing for once if you did keep your word. Thus far....you've lied.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="tenaka2"]

tenaka2

I'll take that as confirmation :P

Confirmation of what? I didn't read your post.