European Soccer: I don't get it

• 121 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Uncle_Uzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Uncle_Uzi
Member since 2007 • 1371 Posts

I think there's too much back and forth in soccer. Scoring a goal happens too infrequently for the game to appeal to me. Besides, who wants to watch a sport where there's at least a 50% of it being a tie every time?

On the other hand, Football is the perfectly paced game. It's designed so that every single play is exciting. 11 men on each side, one team on offense and one team on defense. What's so interesting is that it's a totally different experience to watch depending on which team has the ball. Rooting for the defense is great, practically cheering with the hopes to see a good tackle. Offense is a 100% change of pace. Instead, you are hoping that your men are able to sneak the ball past the guys on D.

The uniting factor? A big sack can be just as exciting as a long touchdown.

Aside from a goal, there just aren't that many real high points in a game of soccer. A goal keep making a great save is just a hopeless affair, because there is nothing stopping the other team from just immediately getting the ball back and going for it again. There is no set pace in soccer. No one side is guaranteed to have the ball, so it's impossible to build momentum. Bbbborrring.

Avatar image for deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
Member since 2007 • 10077 Posts

Watch the English Premier League. Best sports you'll ever see.

Carl_W21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Carl_W21
Member since 2004 • 2021 Posts

Not another I don't get it thread.

If you don't get it be quiet.

About a Billion people do so it's just a small number of ignorant people that don't.

Oh an Soccer, well I'm gonna call it football, that is it's real name, is World Wide

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

:lol:

This is going to turn into a continental war on OT.

Avatar image for heysharpshooter
heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 heysharpshooter
Member since 2009 • 6348 Posts

Because it is incredibly boring to watch. Just not a spectator sport. American football is just a rush to watch. And I won't get stabbed to death at a football game... unless its a Raiders game.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#6 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

lol "soccer".

FragStains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FragStains
Member since 2003 • 20668 Posts
We Americans are too uncultured for European Football.
Witchsight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Witchsight
Member since 2004 • 12145 Posts
Soccer is one of the many sports i cant stand watching. Its not alone, if that makes it feel better.
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

I c wut u did thar.

Personally, I respect the sport for what it is, but it's not one I care about. For me it goes:

1. NFL
2. MLB
3. NCAAF
4. NCAAB
5. NHL
6. NBA
7. Tennis

RushMetallica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 RushMetallica
Member since 2007 • 4501 Posts
Associated Football is more about the strategy of the entire team making it up field to score. American Football does this as well, greatly in fact, but I find its more visible in Euro Football. Some games are dry I'll admit, but thats the same in the NFL or College football. It is also more interesting to watch if you play the sport, which is the same for any sport usually, except golf IMO.
wigan_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 wigan_gamer
Member since 2008 • 3293 Posts

The fact that you compared grid iron and football is just insanse. The only thing alike is the name "football".

It is obvious football isn't for you, not everybody can like every sport out there, in fact most don't.

Impossible to build momentum? that just shows your lack of understanding of the game, there are teams that are great on the ball and keep possession for large periods of the game. Alsoteams oftenfind themselves in games where they have 5 minutes+ of good play which is momentum and builds towars a goal.

There are always dull games in EVERY sport you cannot use that as an argument why it is bad. Low scoring? did you see the premier league results for the weekend just gone? it was anything but low scoring. But yes the game is generally low scoring because it is difficult to score, but you could say hocky is like that.

CBR600-RR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CBR600-RR
Member since 2008 • 9695 Posts

Wow, please try and watch the English Premier League and then come back, there are goals scored all the time. Way to be ignorant. >_>

Our premier league is probably the most watched in the world? Oh and millions of people get it, so why don't you?

bitemeslippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#13 bitemeslippy
Member since 2005 • 1626 Posts

Well too bad for you. As for me I'll continue to watch Rooney destroy all competition and Vidic just straight destroy people. Glory glory Man United!

not_wanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 not_wanted
Member since 2008 • 1990 Posts

What are you talking about? Just because you don't get it, it doesn't mean it's boring.

And are you trying to convince us that American football is better than football? lol

wigan_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 wigan_gamer
Member since 2008 • 3293 Posts
[QUOTE="not_wanted"]

What are you talking about? Just because you don't get it, it doesn't mean it's boring.

And are you trying to convince us that American football is better than football? lol

yes he is... grid iron is an amazing sport.. it is just personal opinion. People should stop trying to argue their case either way.
shoot-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 shoot-first
Member since 2004 • 9788 Posts

Is this thread at war with the American football one? >_>

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#17 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts

shoot-first
It is! Which side do you take!? Better pick the right one!
not_wanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 not_wanted
Member since 2008 • 1990 Posts

Wow, please try and watch the English Premier League and then come back, there are goals scored all the time. Way to be ignorant. >_>

Our premier league is probably the most watched in the world? Oh and millions of people get it, so why don't you?

CBR600-RR

Millions? I think you meant billions.

Dr_Manfattan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Dr_Manfattan
Member since 2009 • 1363 Posts

i watched the super bowl the last time it was on...i had to turn if of because i got incredibly bored with it.

i much prefer football to american football because in football the game doesnt stop every 2-3 minutes. really why is it so hard for american football players to just get up and get straight back to playing? the only exciting moment during the game that i watched was when a player hurt his neck. now im not going to just go on saying "yeah american sports are terrible" im just saying that i cant watch american football without getting bored...so just stop complaining about other countrys sports ALL the time, really noone cares about your opinion, your not going to make people change their minds. much like no american will care that i dont like american football, and im sure many will not understand why...different countries have different sport preferences just accept it and shut up about it.

(and dont start going "but your doing exactly what he is" i know i am, im just making a point)

ufcfan17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ufcfan17
Member since 2009 • 1641 Posts

Soccer is an amazing sport...better than football obviously

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts
Soccer, football, meh. Ice Hockey > Everything.
shoot-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 shoot-first
Member since 2004 • 9788 Posts

[QUOTE="shoot-first"]

Wilfred_Owen

It is! Which side do you take!? Better pick the right one!

dued, I am totally for this one. Drinking beer and watching American football is a way of life. 8)

Avatar image for deactivated-59da85d821feb
deactivated-59da85d821feb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-59da85d821feb
Member since 2006 • 2075 Posts
What is European Soccer? Do you mean football?
AirGuitarist87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 AirGuitarist87
Member since 2006 • 9499 Posts

Scoring a goal happens too infrequently for the game to appeal to me. Besides, who wants to watch a sport where there's at least a 50% of it being a tie every time?

Uncle_Uzi

I've never understood that argument. But mind, I've known people who won't watch films if they don't have any explosions.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

Soccer, football, meh. Ice Hockey > Everything.Engrish_Major

Agree with you on that one :D

Its like someone fused "soccer" (for you ignorant americans that pinched football for that rushing thing...), american football and put the guys on ice skates...

Amazing :D

WasntAvailable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 WasntAvailable
Member since 2008 • 5605 Posts

It's called football, not soccer,because you kick a ball for most of the game, unlike American Football where you occasionally kick a ball. I don't like the term soccer, it's ridiculous that 90% of the word should use Football and that other 10% use soccer when football works better because it literally describes the game. Why is American football called football when there isn't all that much foot combined with ball? Bah, whatever.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"]Soccer, football, meh. Ice Hockey > Everything.

I do enjoy hockey more.
Grouchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 Grouchu
Member since 2003 • 7117 Posts

I'm not that big a fan of futbol, but I'll watch it on occasion. I watched one game on ESPN last Saturday morning and it was pretty good. I don't remember names, but this one guy did a hat trick (3 goals) and the team did some good plays to get the ball towards the goal.

FragStains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FragStains
Member since 2003 • 20668 Posts
[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"]Soccer, football, meh. Ice Hockey > Everything.

This's about the only sensical response in this thread yet.
grenadexjumpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 grenadexjumpr
Member since 2005 • 1120 Posts

I like how all the non-Americans are getting their panties in a bunch and all butt hurt at the OP. How come nobody called the OP of the thread about American Football ignorant yet all the Euros on here are calling Uzi ignorant? Don't get offended 'cause not everyone loves and understands your sport.

g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

Like it or not, football or soccer is the worlds best sport.

The english premier league is the very heart of it.

Watching the World Cup is more entertaining, in the right crowd and place as well, than the olympics.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

I think there's too much back and forth in soccer. Scoring a goal happens too infrequently for the game to appeal to me. Besides, who wants to watch a sport where there's at least a 50% of it being a tie every time?

On the other hand, Football is the perfectly paced game. It's designed so that every single play is exciting. 11 men on each side, one team on offense and one team on defense. What's so interesting is that it's a totally different experience to watch depending on which team has the ball. Rooting for the defense is great, practically cheering with the hopes to see a good tackle. Offense is a 100% change of pace. Instead, you are hoping that your men are able to sneak the ball past the guys on D.

The uniting factor? A big sack can be just as exciting as a long touchdown.

Aside from a goal, there just aren't that many real high points in a game of soccer. A goal keep making a great save is just a hopeless affair, because there is nothing stopping the other team from just immediately getting the ball back and going for it again. There is no set pace in soccer. No one side is guaranteed to have the ball, so it's impossible to build momentum. Bbbborrring.

Uncle_Uzi

WHA??? :shock:

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dave123321

Watching the World Cup is more entertaining, in the right crowd and place as well, than the olympics.

g0ddyX

Which is simply an opinion of course. Although I do enjoy the game.

heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 heysharpshooter

i much prefer football to american football because in football the game doesnt stop every 2-3 minutes. really why is it so hard for american football players to just get up and get straight back to playing?

Dr_Manfattan

Have you ever been hit running a full speed by a 300 pound man who is also running a full speed, and whose sole purpose is to end your career? The game is slow partly because of the health of the players, particularly lineman and running backs. Every game is the equivalent of getting into a car wreck in terms of damage to the body. it's brutal man.

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

Cause it's EPIC, so many diferent teams, so many diferent players, diferent styles. It's the sport of the world. NFL, MLB even NBA are much more "restriced" I know you still see ppl from diferent countries but it's nowhere near the same epicness. And a goal in Soccer means A LOT more then a touchdown or a 3 pointer or home run or whatever. There's a tradeoff for high scoring sports.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Engrish_Major
[QUOTE="heysharpshooter"]

[QUOTE="Dr_Manfattan"]

i much prefer football to american football because in football the game doesnt stop every 2-3 minutes. really why is it so hard for american football players to just get up and get straight back to playing?

Have you ever been hit running a full speed by a 300 pound man who is also running a full speed, and whose sole purpose is to end your career? The game is slow partly because of the health of the players, particularly lineman and running backs. Every game is the equivalent of getting into a car wreck in terms of damage to the body. it's brutal man.

Hockey players do it continuously. So do rugby players (and without pads).
kulmiye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 kulmiye
Member since 2004 • 12094 Posts
The reason you don't get it is because you dumb good sir.
grenadexjumpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 grenadexjumpr

[QUOTE="Dr_Manfattan"]

Engrish_Major

Hockey players and most rugby players aren't nearly the size of most NFL linemen and linebackers.

shadowprince92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#39 shadowprince92
Member since 2005 • 1420 Posts

g0ddyX

The "best" sport doesn't exist. Doesn't matter if its the world's most popular, that is a different matter. "Best" is totally opinionated.

heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 heysharpshooter

[QUOTE="Dr_Manfattan"]

Engrish_Major

Hockey players have twice the padding, and hockey players play in shifts, which mean they are only on the ice for 2-3 minutes at a time. An american football player is on the field for 90% of the snaps at least. Rugby on the other hand is more about the scrums, not about people getting their heads taken off. And how big is the biggest rugby player? I doubt he is 300+ pounds.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Engrish_Major
[QUOTE="grenadexjumpr"]

Hockey players and most rugby players aren't nearly the size of most NFL linemen and linebackers.

What's the difference between a 215lb guy hitting another 215lb guy, or a 300lb guy hitting another 300lb guy?
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 dave123321
Everyone should just enjoy what sports they enjoy and not care what others think nor put down other sports and their fans.
kulmiye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kulmiye
Member since 2004 • 12094 Posts
And how big is the biggest rugby player? I doubt he is 300+ pounds.heysharpshooter
I doubt any sports player is 300+ pounds.
grenadexjumpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 grenadexjumpr

[QUOTE="grenadexjumpr"]

Engrish_Major

What's the difference between a 215lb guy hitting another 215lb guy, or a 300lb guy hitting another 300lb guy?

About 85 pounds. Its not about same size to same size. A 300lb lineman decking a 215 pound quaterback well...you just don't know pain like that, even with full bads.

grenadexjumpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 grenadexjumpr

[QUOTE="heysharpshooter"] And how big is the biggest rugby player? I doubt he is 300+ pounds.kulmiye

Take 10 minutes to go through the rosters of half the NFL teams, most linemen hover around the 300 pound mark. Even a lot of COLLEGE level linemen weigh in right around there.

ufcfan17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ufcfan17
Member since 2009 • 1641 Posts

[QUOTE="heysharpshooter"] And how big is the biggest rugby player? I doubt he is 300+ pounds.kulmiye

how about shaq o'neal?

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Engrish_Major
[QUOTE="grenadexjumpr"]

[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"][QUOTE="grenadexjumpr"]

About 85 pounds. Its not about same size to same size. A 300lb lineman decking a 215 pound quaterback well...you just don't know pain like that, even with full bads.

How fast is the 300lb guy going? Hockey players skate up to 30mph, and hit each other into walls as well as at center ice.
heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 heysharpshooter

[QUOTE="grenadexjumpr"]

[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"] What's the difference between a 215lb guy hitting another 215lb guy, or a 300lb guy hitting another 300lb guy?Engrish_Major

How fast is the 300lb guy going? Hockey players skate up to 30mph, and hit each other into walls as well as at center ice.

Fast like a cheetah.., you couldnt get away.

grenadexjumpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 grenadexjumpr

[QUOTE="grenadexjumpr"]

[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"] What's the difference between a 215lb guy hitting another 215lb guy, or a 300lb guy hitting another 300lb guy?Engrish_Major

You'd be quite surprised how fast linemen can move. And lets not forget, they easily bench in the 400-500 pound range. I doubt any hockey player can do that. Speed mixed with raw strength ends up bad for the victim.

Witchsight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Witchsight
Member since 2004 • 12145 Posts
The reason you don't get it is because you dumb good sir.kulmiye
No u dumb