European Soccer: I don't get it

• 121 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

soldier-dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101 soldier-dark
Member since 2005 • 5909 Posts
I don't see how anyone really has much fun watching these kinds of sports. They're usually very tedious, and nobody really gets hurt. Sure, with football you have tackling, but even then they've been so conditioned to it and their pads absorb so much that it's rarely interesting. Not to mention that the tackling is really the only thing at all interesting about something like football. Soccer is just plain out boring to watch all together. I don't think I'll ever understand the obsession with fans and the interest of watching these sports.
darkIink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 darkIink
Member since 2006 • 2705 Posts

for those running around comments, isn't american football just the QB throwing the ball to the [running back?] while the rest of the team is just slamming into each other? only difference each play is the direction the guy runs to catch the ball

Im_on_a_boat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Im_on_a_boat
Member since 2009 • 92 Posts
Lol I've lurked these threads so many times, It's always the same story Renegade_Fury defends american football to the death, and you get a load of people defending football(soccer) saying how its all about the suspense and finally seeing that great goal fly in, I personally love football (soccer) but these threads seem so stupid, better of searching and just reading the whole thread of a previous one guarantee you would find what happened in this thread lol
Uncle_Uzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#104 Uncle_Uzi
Member since 2007 • 1371 Posts

for those running around comments, isn't american football just the QB throwing the ball to the [running back?] while the rest of the team is just slamming into each other? only difference each play is the direction the guy runs to catch the ball

darkIink

No. You are wrong. THAT is insulting.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#105 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"] It's more than just hits. Yeah they're awesome, but there is far more to the game than that. Why would madden be so popular to play if people didn't care about the strategy behind it? Football is just as much about outhinking as it is outdoing your opponent, which is why I love it so much..Renegade_Fury

again. if thinking were so important you'd see more chess on tv ... maybe they need to update chess where everytime you lose a piece your opponent gets to punch you in the face. i predict record audiences :)

Uh, I didn't say all to the game is thinking. I said it's just as important. Way to pick and choose...

i didn't say that you said all there was to the game was thinking.. way to jump to conclusions...

Maqda7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#106 Maqda7
Member since 2008 • 3299 Posts
a 50% chance of a tie :lol: Stop watching MLS and watch the real players.
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"][QUOTE="comp_atkins"] again. if thinking were so important you'd see more chess on tv ... maybe they need to update chess where everytime you lose a piece your opponent gets to punch you in the face. i predict record audiences :)

comp_atkins

Uh, I didn't say all to the game is thinking. I said it's just as important. Way to pick and choose...

i didn't say that you said all there was to the game was thinking.. way to jump to conclusions...

You're still downplaying it though... You can have the best athletes in the world, but it won't matter if the coach isn't using the right schemes, or the QB can't read the defense. Same thing goes the other way around, because you can't implement plays in the first place if the players are garbage. If fans didn't care you wouldn't hear things like: "Why the **** did they pass!" Why the **** didn't they run!" "Why the **** didn't they punt!" "Why are they challenging?!" "Why are you wasting a time out now?!" "Run out the clock damn it!" "Stop using the **** Wild Cat Formation!!!!".

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts
Lol I've lurked these threads so many times, It's always the same story Renegade_Fury defends american football to the death, and you get a load of people defending football(soccer) saying how its all about the suspense and finally seeing that great goal fly in, I personally love football (soccer) but these threads seem so stupid, better of searching and just reading the whole thread of a previous one guarantee you would find what happened in this thread lol Im_on_a_boat
lol, well not much I can do if no one else is willing to step up to the plate. Then again, I shouldn't be surprised since this is a gaming website. :P
ArmoredAshes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#109 ArmoredAshes
Member since 2005 • 4025 Posts

Do remind me which one is played across the globe? I mean c'mon...if you want something like american football go with rugby...its much more manly hahaha

1kalli1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 1kalli1
Member since 2007 • 398 Posts
You are one ignorant man.
xFL4WL3SSx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 xFL4WL3SSx
Member since 2009 • 1018 Posts

Watch the English Premier League. Best sports you'll ever see.

bangell99

I agree, soccer overall is the best sport out there thats why its the most popular duhh but yeah the English Premier League is really fun to watch from the players to the fans...

xionvalkyrie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 xionvalkyrie
Member since 2008 • 3444 Posts

Maybe if they just multiplied the points by 1000 Americans would be more interested.:P

villa4europe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 villa4europe
Member since 2004 • 7081 Posts

depends what you watch, the CL tonight for example was boring and so was the villa vs brum game at the weekend, but the game itself was almost irrelevant compared to the result, you need yourself a team to follow for whatever reason and get some sort of attachement going, you'll soon pick up some knowledge and some tactics and before too long you'll love it

thats what happened to me when i decided to start watching the browns after lerner bought the villa

streloksbolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 streloksbolt
Member since 2009 • 257 Posts

I prefer fitba because the ball is always in play and it never gets boring.

oldmanriver1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 oldmanriver1
Member since 2009 • 726 Posts

We all know Rugby/AFL is way better then both at the end of the day :D.

But if I had to choose between either one it would definitely be soccer. At least the action flows.

Jfisch93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#116 Jfisch93
Member since 2008 • 3557 Posts

I guess it's in our American blood to be rebels.. I mean the rest of the world loves football yet Americans love their football. People don't get that american football is a strategic game.

dbowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#117 dbowman
Member since 2005 • 6836 Posts

Football is the most watched sport in the world. Its not just confined to Europe.

Real Football is far superior to American Football. I'd much rather watch 90 minutes of fast paced action, than a game that can drag on for 3 hours because of all the breaks.

luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts
I quite like to watch soccer, but I'll agree that some matches can be boring. :P
dbowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#119 dbowman
Member since 2005 • 6836 Posts

I quite like to watch soccer, but I'll agree that some matches can be boring. :Pluke1889

Thats the case with every sport though. Not every game can be a classic.

villa4europe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 villa4europe
Member since 2004 • 7081 Posts

thats why you need a team to support rather than staying neutral

icehawk022

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#121 icehawk022
Member since 2008 • 68 Posts

Having played each sport 8+ years I like them about the same. I would rather watch American Football though especially college football. I find it more interesting to watch huge freak-atheletes try to crush each other. But I love the world cup and will watch a good football (soccer) game if its on (which is rare in America haha). If I ever get a chance I want to go to Europe to see a good football (soccer)match.