Dude pulls into wrong driveway by mistake, home owner shoots and kills him

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#152 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Well, all I've got is that I live in the south and no one seems paranoid at all. Seems equally valid.jim_shorts
Flip a coin then? I'll let you flip. I call heads.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
[QUOTE="thegerg"] "So give several examples of humans acting without any emotion at all if you'd like to claim that." I dropped my keys earlier and picked them up. Emotion had nothing to do with that. I picked up coffee for coworkers this morning because I was going anyway and it was no extra effort, emotion had nothing to do with that. I ate lunch because I was hungry and had an instinctual drive to eat, emotion had nothing to do with that. Now, support your point that humans don't react without emotion. " Preparation is about taking steps to increase your odds of survival." Again, not always. Last night I put my wallet, keys, and access badge in my boots in order to prepare for the morning to save a few minutes, not in order to survive. You have a very bad habit of generalizing. "You buy a gun for home defense because you fear for your life" No, I don't. Stop making such silly accusations. "If you didn't fear you wouldn't do it." History says otherwise.

"No, not always" is not an argument.

Desire Caring and interest in those individuals Hunger is an emotion Emotions are what causes humans to react. You prepared to save time when time is important. You fear being late.
Avatar image for deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#154 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
Member since 2009 • 2944 Posts
[QUOTE="Pvt_r3d"][QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="Pvt_r3d"]Mmmm, seems like there's more to the story. Shot in the head? How is that possible unless the old guy got lucky. Why would the teens stay in the driveway for so long and especially when someone came out of the house the driveway belongs to, with a gun. The story the victim's friends came up with doesn't really add up either. Their GPS wasn't giving them the right address?

"How is that possible unless the old guy got lucky." Because the weapon was aimed at is head.

Wind shields ain't bullet proof. But the kid was in his vehicle was he not? I don't think he would be stupid enough to stay outside after figuring out he's in the wrong neighborhood.

rastotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 rastotm
Member since 2011 • 1380 Posts

Going back to get a gun in order to kill the people on your property seems a odd response to fear.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Since I don't want to make a new thread for this question but why do gun owners defend their property if it actually was a home invasion? By property I mean stuff like TV, video game systems, jewelery, etc. Stuff that you (should) have insurance on and are easily replaced. Is it worth risking you and your loved one's lives in danger?

Aljosa23
Maybe some pride? It's certainly irrational either way.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 Ace6301
[QUOTE="thegerg"] "No, not always" is not an argument. " Making baseless and unsupported claims in order to attempt your point is not an argument. "Desire" Uh, what about it? "Caring and interest in those individuals" WTF are you on about? "Hunger is an emotion" I'm not sure what this random statement is in reference to, but you're wrong. It's a physical sensation. "Emotions are what causes humans to react." No, not always. There are things like instinct, for example. Do a little research, kiddo. "You prepared to save time when time is important. You fear being late." No, I do not. You seem to be very confused. Anyway, your claim was that people prepare in order to survive, not to avoid fear. Make up your mind.

Desire you have an object you need to proceed through your day to day routine, access your home and car. Desire to have a need fulfilled. That's an emotion. Caring for others is an emotion. Hunger is the desire to have a need met. Desire is an emotion. Instincts and emotions are not opposed to each other and you can be acting under what you would say is instinct while feeling emotion. Your survival depends on making money. Being late is counter to that. Hence you fear being late. Look at you expressing your anger though. You don't even post here without emotions.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 Ace6301

Going back to get a gun in order to kill the people on your property seems a odd response to fear.

rastotm
Implying emotions always lead people to rational actions.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#160 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Why does this always happen with old people in the south? Are they that parinoid?

Wasdie

I blame the media.. We have these ignorant people watching all these terrible stories, because violence sells, making them believe that this sh!t happens every where constantly..

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="Moriarity_"]I can understand the warning shot but if the guy was backing out of the driveway why shoot again?whipassmt

Maybe he didn't notice the guy was leaving, or maybe his finger slipped and he fired by accident?

... You can't even justify a warning shot, how the fvck are we suppose to trust this guy with some one knocking on his door? Or a few people selling a product or other such thing?.. You can't.. This guy should never have had a weapon to begin with if this is his very FIRST response with a car pulling into the drive way.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Ace6301

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

[QUOTE="Moriarity_"]I can understand the warning shot but if the guy was backing out of the driveway why shoot again?sSubZerOo

Maybe he didn't notice the guy was leaving, or maybe his finger slipped and he fired by accident?

... You can't even justify a warning shot, how the fvck are we suppose to trust this guy with some one knocking on his door? Or a few people selling a product or other such thing?.. You can't.. This guy should never have had a weapon to begin with if this is his very FIRST response with a car pulling into the drive way.

First response of people leaving his drive way according to the story. Also he claims that they tried to run him down which is why he shot. The police say the scene does not point to that being possible.
rastotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 rastotm

[QUOTE="rastotm"]

Ace6301

He claimed to feel fear because he assumed a conflict. The normal response to fear tends to be flee whenever it's possible, if not then fight. In the discussed situation, the man went back to his home, by which he avoided the conflict. After which he picked his gun and engaged the people in the car. This re-engaging is not a rational response to fear, it is a act of aggression in order to protect his valueables.

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

"the 69-year-old Vietnam vet"

this doesn't surprise me at all.

"the police report indicates that the vehicle was leaving Sailors property when Diaz was shot. Lilburn police said they found his red Mitsubishi at the end of the driveway."

A warning shot should of been enough, why did he keep shooting after the car was leaving?

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Ace6301

[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="rastotm"]

rastotm

He claimed to feel fear because he assumed a conflict. The normal response to fear tends to be flee whenever it's possible, if not then fight. In the discussed situation, the man went back to his home, by which he avoided the conflict. After which he picked his gun and engaged the people in the car. This re-engaging is not a rational response to fear, it is a act of aggression in order to protect his valueables.

If he assumed a conflict was imminent then arming himself would be rational. You have a greater chance with a weapon than without one obviously. However his motive for shooting them as they were leaving is suspect. It could have been he really did (incorrectly) feel his life was in danger. He could be senile. He could be an extreme racist and saw the color of the persons skin. We don't know. Shooting someone while they attempt to leave you alone is irrational though (unless you can be sure they're going to be back to try and harm you), regardless of motive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

"the police report indicates that the vehicle was leaving Sailors property when Diaz was shot. Lilburn police said they found his red Mitsubishi at the end of the driveway."

A warning shot should of been enough, why did he keep shooting after the car was leaving?

SirWander

A warning shot is way too much not "enough" when you shoot into the air the bullet does not just disappear. Thinking that shooting wildly into the air because there is a car stopped in your driveway is insane.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Ace6301

[QUOTE="SirWander"]

Person0

A warning shot is way too much not "enough" when you shoot into the air the bullet does not just disappear. Thinking that shooting wildly into the air because there is a car stopped in your driveway is insane.

Killing a 22 year old as he tries to leave after you've fired a warning shot is also insane. He's consistent at least.
SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

Person0

Yeah, no sh!t Sherlock; but why does that make him (Sailors) think that seeing a car parked in his driveway was cause enough for him to shoot in the air? But it's relative, he could have not shot the driver, and shooting in the air could still be construed as a ludicrous act. But shooting directly at a car that is leaving when a warning shot should of sufficed, I don't understand how he thought that was a good idea (IE stand up as a justifiable excuse in the court of law).

TheTolemac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 TheTolemac
Member since 2013 • 94 Posts
Alright guys how long until this is used in a gun-ban example on the news?
rastotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 rastotm

[QUOTE="rastotm"]

[QUOTE="Ace6301"] Implying emotions always lead people to rational actions.Ace6301

If he assumed a conflict was imminent then arming himself would be rational. You have a greater chance with a weapon than without one obviously. However his motive for shooting them as they were leaving is suspect. It could have been he really did (incorrectly) feel his life was in danger. He could be senile. He could be an extreme racist and saw the color of the persons skin. We don't know. Shooting someone while they attempt to leave you alone is irrational though (unless you can be sure they're going to be back to try and harm you), regardless of motive

He had a far greater chance by fleeing or locking himself up in the house. The fact of the matter remains that he disengaged and engaged again. This is a unlikely response to fear. It is however possible that he went back with the, reasonably acceptable, intent to scare the people away from his property. This escalated in a situation where he felt the need to shoot in order to protect his life. Which leads my to my main point, this isn't a simple case of self defense because he returned in order chase the people away which can be deemed as a irresponsible act. That being said, it seems we largely agree. I simply replied because emotions and related behaviour are interesting subjects.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 Ace6301

[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="rastotm"] He claimed to feel fear because he assumed a conflict. The normal response to fear tends to be flee whenever it's possible, if not then fight. In the discussed situation, the man went back to his home, by which he avoided the conflict. After which he picked his gun and engaged the people in the car. This re-engaging is not a rational response to fear, it is a act of aggression in order to protect his valueables.

rastotm

He had a far greater chance by fleeing or locking himself up in the house. The fact of the matter remains that he disengaged and engaged again. This is a unlikely response to fear. It is however possible that he went back with the, reasonably acceptable, intent to scare the people away from his property. This escalated in a situation where he felt the need to shoot in order to protect his life. Which leads my to my main point, this isn't a simple case of self defense because he returned in order chase the people away which can be deemed as a irresponsible act. That being said, it seems we largely agree. I simply replied because emotions and related behaviour are interesting subjects.

He probably would have. Not everyone reacts the same to emotions though. Some people are afraid of buildings they believe are haunted and make a sport out of spending a night there because fear can be exciting. Some people will initially run away and then change their mind and come back and try to kill someone. What starts as one emotion may lead to another as one gains the upperhand. Excitement over fear and anger over fear respectively. Just because it's not the driving emotion at the time per se doesn't mean that it wasn't there to set off the chain of events. I somewhat doubt in this situation that he did the shooting out of fear for his life seeing as how it appears he's lying about the events now. Assuming they were indeed fleeing it's extremely clear cut murder.
Nayef_shroof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 Nayef_shroof
Member since 2011 • 709 Posts
[QUOTE="Nayef_shroof"]

Well, if people in the states are that ardent about keeping their guns, I would suggest that politicians enforce policies that would make it much more difficult to obtain a gun license. It's just ludicrous how many incidents like this occur.

Person0
You don't need a gun license to own a gun.

To own one legally I mean.
Nayef_shroof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 Nayef_shroof
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="Nayef_shroof"][QUOTE="Person0"] You don't need a gun license to own a gun.

To own one legally I mean.

So does he.

? How does it work in the United States then?
Nayef_shroof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 Nayef_shroof
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="Nayef_shroof"][QUOTE="thegerg"] So does he.

? How does it work in the United States then?

It varies by state.

But generally you need a gun license to own a gun, right?
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Jesus... I better think twice before I use someone else's driveway to turn on a street.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

I can understand the warning shot but if the guy was backing out of the driveway why shoot again?Moriarity_

That warning shot was incredibly reckless as well. Shots fired into the air come back down and they can hit innocent people. The man really had no business owning a gun.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="Nayef_shroof"] ? How does it work in the United States then?Nayef_shroof
It varies by state.

But generally you need a gun license to own a gun, right?

In many states its go to store, pass instant background check and walk out with gun or wait like a week or 2 and go back for gun. At guns shows it pass background check, walk out with gun.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

[QUOTE="double_decker"][QUOTE="Crazyguy105"]

Another life needlessly lost.

Why are trigger happy people allowed to use weapons again?

wis3boi

Because if not they'd just find other ways to kill, people have been doing that since the beginning of time.

I highly doubt a man pulling into the wrong driveway would have died if this idiot didnt have a gun on him. What would he do, throw a knife through the windshield?

this.

The argument against guns is getting stronger and stronger...

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#184 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

What a completely rational decision!

DaJuicyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 DaJuicyMan
Member since 2010 • 3557 Posts

RIP Rodrigo. But still, moar gunz.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

Is the background check easier to pass than a grade 1 math quiz?

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#187 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
Strong suspicion that the shooter might have undiagnosed dementia.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

Is the background check easier to pass than a grade 1 math quiz?

one_plum
Well the one form you have to fill out the answer is no for every question so probably. The background check just checks for convictions afaik
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#189 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

[QUOTE="Moriarity_"]I can understand the warning shot but if the guy was backing out of the driveway why shoot again?worlock77

That warning shot was incredibly reckless as well. Shots fired into the air come back down and they can hit innocent people. The man really had no business owning a gun.

Pretty much. He should go to jail for manslaughter at least. He had no reason to shoot that person. It was not - in the least bit - self defense.
Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#190 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

Really don't understand why he shot this guy. If events were as reported here, he should be charged with murder. You have to at least wait until someone stops, gets out of their car, and in some way threatens you with a weapon or tries to break in. Shooting the guy as he drove away? Boy.. he really showed him.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Good on the police. Castle law shouldn't be abused and they did right, so it seems, by charging this man.

Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#192 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

Damn, itchy triger finger much. People really should be trained how to use a gun before being allowed to purchase one

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

Another gun death that could have been so easily avoided if both parties had more guns :(

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

American gun culture is messed up. It gives stupid people the idea that you need guns to defend yourself, which in turn creates the idea that you're constantly in danger and the only way to fight that danger is with a gun.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#195 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts
Seems to me some people just are looking for any reason to kill someone else and then claim legal grounds for doing so. Same as people who enlist simply to be able to kill others without fear of retribution. The guy's probably just looking to be able to put that arsenal to use.
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
all people over the age of 60 should hand in their guns to the government. It's not like they will be any help if the government starts oppressing the people.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#197 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

Damn, itchy triger finger much. People really should be trained how to use a gun before being allowed to purchase one

The_Gaming_Baby
he was ex-military, so I don't imagine that was the issue
Matthew-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 Matthew-first
Member since 2005 • 3318 Posts

Uh-Merry-Khan's

o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts

The most striking thing from this piece is that of the initial reaction. Unless you are in an incredibly rough and dangerous area, there would be no though of "quick I need to get a weapon and threaten the people outside". Madness, and again, another life lost by the use of a weapon that is meant to be used as "protection".

God bless the United States and all those clever people in it.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

[QUOTE="The_Gaming_Baby"]

lamprey263

he was ex-military, so I don't imagine that was the issue

the military teach people how to kill, it could have assisted.