Dude pulls into wrong driveway by mistake, home owner shoots and kills him

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Posted by thegerg (18397 posts) -

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]I never said it was I said it seems like it. From all the news reports and media trying to stir up fear to Alex Jones saying guns are needed to protect from the tyranny of the government and so on.

Ace6301

You're not going to get an objective view of any subject if all you know of it is what the media portrays. As someone else just said, it's preparedness, not fear. Although there certainly are some who do it out of fear, and they're doing it wrong.

Why do they feel the need to be prepared? People prepare out of fear of the uncertain and fear has always been the emotion to drive preparedness. Fear isn't a bad thing as being prepared isn't bad but to say fear is not an aspect of this is a clear misunderstanding of motive.

" People prepare out of fear of the uncertain"

Some do, but most don't.

When you put on your seatbelt, do you do it out of fear of the uncertain, or because you want to be prepared in the case of an accident? When you use sunscreen, do you do it out o fear of the uncertain, or because you want to be prepared to be in the sun for a while? When you buy groceries, do you do so out of fear of the uncertain, or because you want to be prepared to feed yourself?

You're a pretty sad individual if every prepatory step you take is due to fear. Maybe you need to see a counselor, living a life of fear is not healthy.

#102 Posted by kingkong0124 (8329 posts) -

Wonder what the odds of this happening are...

#103 Posted by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

So they where clearly driving away,a nd you just aimed and shot one of them in the head anyways, dumb old idiot.

#104 Posted by slimjimbadboy (1731 posts) -

Why does this always happen with old people in the south? Are they that parinoid?

Wasdie

Begs the question why these people cannot feel safe on their own property. I wonder why that is.

#105 Posted by meatgrinderz (1329 posts) -

that guy is nuts, sh*t shootiong someone for being in your driveway. reminds me of this old fart in my apartment complex who sits on his patio and yells at cars driving around the lot "SLOW DOWN GODDDDAMIT!" i see him snapping one day. if someone broke into my home and i was there i would shoot them (if i owned a gun), but shooting someone in the driveway in damn stupid. lots of old people are just cray cray

#106 Posted by MetalDogGear (825 posts) -
I will wait for further info before passing judgement dave123321
There has to be more to the story People, no matter how crooked or corrupted, don't just shoot people for no damn reason!
#107 Posted by Jacobistheman (3975 posts) -

I hope you people realize that there are over 100 gangs in Gwinnett county, and that if the guy had time to go inside, get a gun and fire warning shots, the people had time to leave.

Avatar image for deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
#108 Posted by deactivated-59f03d6ce656b (2944 posts) -

I hope you people realize that there are over 100 gangs in Gwinnett county, and that if the guy had time to go inside, get a gun and fire warning shots, the people had time to leave.

Jacobistheman
Because people sitting in a car for a couple minutes in a driveway makes it justifiable to murder them. This guy was so scared for his life that he had time to run back inside and shoot warning shots that makes sense or this is just murder. (excluding some other major events that we don't know about)
#109 Posted by Bucked20 (6651 posts) -

Jacobistheman
Their crime rate doesn't seem high though
#110 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (9471 posts) -
He murdered him plain and simple. Send him to jail for the rest of his 'short' life.
#111 Posted by MetalDogGear (825 posts) -

He murdered him plain and simple. Send him to jail for the rest of his 'short' life. HoolaHoopMan
Or just shoot the **** and save tax dollars

#112 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Sounds like a good case for the mentally ill not be allowed to own firearms.
#113 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (9471 posts) -

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"]He murdered him plain and simple. Send him to jail for the rest of his 'short' life. MetalDogGear

Or just shoot the **** and save tax dollars

Not a fan of the death penalty. I'm sure he won't last another 10 years in prison.
#114 Posted by MetalDogGear (825 posts) -
Sounds like a good case for the mentally ill not be allowed to own firearms.Zeviander
Or a great case for the mentally-stable to not own fire-arms
#115 Posted by Jacobistheman (3975 posts) -
[QUOTE="Jacobistheman"]

Bucked20
Their crime rate doesn't seem high though

http://www.crimemapping.com/map.aspx?aid=237508c7-ead1-4de4-b7b2-b627abfee7fc I know it is no excuse, but it looked like there was a rape and 3 burglaries (one of them Forced) that happened within a mile of Hill-crest road within the last week.
#116 Posted by Leejjohno (14090 posts) -

If the driver had a machinegun instead of a windshield he may have lived.

#117 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]I never said it was I said it seems like it. From all the news reports and media trying to stir up fear to Alex Jones saying guns are needed to protect from the tyranny of the government and so on.

Ace6301

You're not going to get an objective view of any subject if all you know of it is what the media portrays. As someone else just said, it's preparedness, not fear. Although there certainly are some who do it out of fear, and they're doing it wrong.

Why do they feel the need to be prepared? People prepare out of fear of the uncertain and fear has always been the emotion to drive preparedness. Fear isn't a bad thing as being prepared isn't bad but to say fear is not an aspect of this is a clear misunderstanding of motive.

Probably because the US was founded on fear of the government. Breeds paranoia

#118 Posted by Novotine (1199 posts) -
let that old f*ck rot
#119 Posted by nintendoman562 (5593 posts) -

Most Americans aren't intelligent or responsible enough to own a gun, as seen in this news story. That's why that country specifically needs gun control.

#120 Posted by chrisrooR (9027 posts) -
I want Lai to comment in this thread and make all of our nights.
#121 Posted by thegerg (18397 posts) -

Most Americans aren't intelligent or responsible enough to own a gun, as seen in this news story. That's why that country specifically needs gun control.

nintendoman562
Haha, no. That article mentions only 4 people and outlines the actions of 3 of them on one night. That's hardly enough information for a reasonable person to think that they can see anything about most Americans. Don't be silly.
#122 Posted by walkingdream (4883 posts) -

oh dead butt tehh gunns didn't do it!!!! Wouldn't of happened in Australia let me know tell you

#123 Posted by thegerg (18397 posts) -

oh dead butt tehh gunns didn't do it!!!! Wouldn't of happened in Australia let me know tell you

walkingdream
have
#124 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

He shot him because he was Latino. Racism.

#125 Posted by applesxc47 (10761 posts) -

walkingdream

Unfortunately, people with gun licenses over here still get stuck with stereotype of the archetypal gun owner who goes apeshlt.

#126 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

thegerg

Some do, but most don't.

When you put on your seatbelt, do you do it out of fear of the uncertain, or because you want to be prepared in the case of an accident? When you use sunscreen, do you do it out o fear of the uncertain, or because you want to be prepared to be in the sun for a while? When you buy groceries, do you do so out of fear of the uncertain, or because you want to be prepared to feed yourself?

You're a pretty sad individual if every prepatory step you take is due to fear. Maybe you need to see a counselor, living a life of fear is not healthy.

"Do you do things out of fear or out of fear?" Fear is the basic driving emotion for preparation. Seriously why bother trying to appear "macho" and deny an extremely basic emotion every single animal feels.
#127 Posted by thegerg (18397 posts) -
[QUOTE="thegerg"]

[QUOTE="Ace6301"] Why do they feel the need to be prepared? People prepare out of fear of the uncertain and fear has always been the emotion to drive preparedness. Fear isn't a bad thing as being prepared isn't bad but to say fear is not an aspect of this is a clear misunderstanding of motive.Ace6301

Some do, but most don't.

"Do you do things out of fear or out of fear?" Fear is the basic driving emotion for preparation. Seriously why bother trying to appear "macho" and deny an extremely basic emotion every single animal feels.

You seem to be confused, I am denying nothing. To think, though, that fear is the only reason that prepare is silly.
#128 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -
[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="thegerg"] " People prepare out of fear of the uncertain"

Some do, but most don't.

thegerg

You seem to be confused, I am denying nothing. To think, though, that fear is the only reason that prepare is silly.

So what emotion fuels the need to be prepared then?
#129 Posted by thegerg (18397 posts) -

[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="Ace6301"] "Do you do things out of fear or out of fear?" Fear is the basic driving emotion for preparation. Seriously why bother trying to appear "macho" and deny an extremely basic emotion every single animal feels.Ace6301

It depends on the person and the situation. Many times it's not based in emotion at all.

#130 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="thegerg"] You seem to be confused, I am denying nothing. To think, though, that fear is the only reason that prepare is silly. thegerg

It depends on the person and the situation. Many times it's not based in emotion at all.

Oh come on you can do better than "it depends". All human motivation comes from and creates emotion. It's how humans work.
#131 Posted by thegerg (18397 posts) -
[QUOTE="thegerg"]

[QUOTE="Ace6301"] So what emotion fuels the need to be prepared then?Ace6301

Oh come on you can do better than "it depends". All human motivation comes from and creates emotion. It's how humans work.

It does depend. What other answer do you want? It can be anxiety, it can be joy, it can be desire, it can be anger, etc.. Other times one's preparations are not based in emotion at all.
#132 Posted by Nayef_shroof (709 posts) -

Well, if people in the states are that ardent about keeping their guns, I would suggest that politicians enforce policies that would make it much more difficult to obtain a gun license. It's just ludicrous how many incidents like this occur.

#133 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -
[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="thegerg"] It depends on the person and the situation. Many times it's not based in emotion at all.thegerg

It does depend. What other answer do you want? It can be anxiety, it can be joy, it can be desire, it can be anger, etc.. Other times one's preparations are not based in emotion at all.

Anxiety is an aspect of fear. How does only joy motivate one to buy a weapon to defend your home? Desire? What inspired that desire? Why is this individual angry? Again, humans don't do things without an emotion to give them motive. Preparation is a response to the fear of uncertain possibilities to ensure an increased chance of survival.
#134 Posted by thegerg (18397 posts) -

Well, if people in the states are that ardent about keeping their guns, I would suggest that politicians enforce policies that would make it much more difficult to obtain a gun license. It's just ludicrous how many incidents like this occur.

Nayef_shroof
That would do nothing to prevent those not required to have a gun license from commiting crime with a gun.
#135 Posted by deactivated-59f03d6ce656b (2944 posts) -

Nayef_shroof
You don't need a gun license to own a gun.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
#136 Posted by deactivated-57e5de5e137a4 (12929 posts) -

Why does this always happen with old people in the south? Are they that parinoid?

Wasdie
As a southerner and a gun owner, I can safely say yes, most are that paranoid.
#137 Posted by thegerg (18397 posts) -

[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="Ace6301"] Oh come on you can do better than "it depends". All human motivation comes from and creates emotion. It's how humans work.Ace6301

Anxiety is an aspect of fear. How does only joy motivate one to buy a weapon to defend your home? Desire? What inspired that desire? Why is this individual angry? Again, humans don't do things without an emotion to give them motive. Preparation is a response to the fear of uncertain possibilities to ensure an increased chance of survival.

"Anxiety is an aspect of fear." No, it's not always.

"How does only joy motivate one to buy a weapon to defend your home?"

I don't know, you tell me. " Desire?" A desire to protect one's family.

"What inspired that desire?"

That too depends. It would usually be the love that person has for their family.

"Why is this individual angry?"

It depends, a lot of things can cause anger enough for that person to be prepared for something.

"Again, humans don't do things without an emotion to give them motive."

Yes, they do.

" Preparation is a response to the fear of uncertain possibilities to ensure an increased chance of survival."

It can be, but that's not always what preparation is about.

#138 Posted by whipassmt (15375 posts) -

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]I guess that's true. But if it was me I'd be hiding somewhere and calling 911 lol.

Aljosa23

But then again, it might take the cops a while to get to your crib.

Sure but I'll still be safe in the closet. I don't care if they steal material objects enough to risk my life.

What if they open about the closet and pop a cap in your ass?

#139 Posted by Moriarity_ (1332 posts) -
I can understand the warning shot but if the guy was backing out of the driveway why shoot again?
#140 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

guynamedbilly

Isn't anecdotal evidence great?
#141 Posted by whipassmt (15375 posts) -

I can understand the warning shot but if the guy was backing out of the driveway why shoot again?Moriarity_
Maybe he didn't notice the guy was leaving, or maybe his finger slipped and he fired by accident?

#142 Posted by deactivated-59f03d6ce656b (2944 posts) -

[QUOTE="Moriarity_"]I can understand the warning shot but if the guy was backing out of the driveway why shoot again?whipassmt

Maybe he didn't notice the guy was leaving, or maybe his finger slipped and he fired by accident?

Accidental headshot....thats pretty unlucky.
#143 Posted by whipassmt (15375 posts) -

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]

yXbRv.jpg

double_decker

You sir... have an awesome mustache :|

Is it just me or does that guy kind of resemble Sherman Klump?

#144 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="thegerg"] It does depend. What other answer do you want? It can be anxiety, it can be joy, it can be desire, it can be anger, etc.. Other times one's preparations are not based in emotion at all.thegerg

That too depends. It would usually be the love that person has for their family.

It depends, a lot of things can cause anger enough for that person to be prepared for something.

Yes, they do.

" Preparation is a response to the fear of uncertain possibilities to ensure an increased chance of survival."

Anxiety is caused by a fear of potentially threatening things. The desire to protect those you love is fueled by a fear of losing those things. Anger is a reactionary emotion and anger over defending something is caused by fear of losing that something. So give several examples of humans acting without any emotion at all if you'd like to claim that. Preparation is about taking steps to increase your odds of survival. That's literally all it is at the end of the day. You take steps to increase your odds of survival because you fear. You buy a gun for home defense because you fear for your life, your property and the lives of those you care for. If you didn't fear you wouldn't do it.
#145 Posted by Pvt_r3d (7901 posts) -
Mmmm, seems like there's more to the story. Shot in the head? How is that possible unless the old guy got lucky. Why would the teens stay in the driveway for so long and especially when someone came out of the house the driveway belongs to, with a gun. The story the victim's friends came up with doesn't really add up either. Their GPS wasn't giving them the right address?
#146 Posted by thegerg (18397 posts) -
[QUOTE="thegerg"]

[QUOTE="Ace6301"] Anxiety is an aspect of fear. How does only joy motivate one to buy a weapon to defend your home? Desire? What inspired that desire? Why is this individual angry? Again, humans don't do things without an emotion to give them motive. Preparation is a response to the fear of uncertain possibilities to ensure an increased chance of survival. Ace6301

Yes, they do.

Anxiety is caused by a fear of potentially threatening things. The desire to protect those you love is fueled by a fear of losing those things. Anger is a reactionary emotion and anger over defending something is caused by fear of losing that something. So give several examples of humans acting without any emotion at all if you'd like to claim that. Preparation is about taking steps to increase your odds of survival. That's literally all it is at the end of the day. You take steps to increase your odds of survival because you fear. You buy a gun for home defense because you fear for your life, your property and the lives of those you care for. If you didn't fear you wouldn't do it.

"Anxiety is caused by a fear of potentially threatening things" Not always. "The desire to protect those you love is fueled by a fear of losing those things." Again, not always. " Anger is a reactionary emotion and anger over defending something is caused by fear of losing that something." Again, not always. "So give several examples of humans acting without any emotion at all if you'd like to claim that." I dropped my keys earlier and picked them up. Emotion had nothing to do with that. I picked up coffee for coworkers this morning because I was going anyway and it was no extra effort, emotion had nothing to do with that. I ate lunch because I was hungry and had an instinctual drive to eat, emotion had nothing to do with that. Now, support your point that humans don't react without emotion. " Preparation is about taking steps to increase your odds of survival." Again, not always. Last night I put my wallet, keys, and access badge in my boots in order to prepare for the morning to save a few minutes, not in order to survive. You have a very bad habit of generalizing. "You buy a gun for home defense because you fear for your life" No, I don't. Stop making such silly accusations. "If you didn't fear you wouldn't do it." History says otherwise.
#147 Posted by thegerg (18397 posts) -
[QUOTE="Pvt_r3d"]Mmmm, seems like there's more to the story. Shot in the head? How is that possible unless the old guy got lucky. Why would the teens stay in the driveway for so long and especially when someone came out of the house the driveway belongs to, with a gun. The story the victim's friends came up with doesn't really add up either. Their GPS wasn't giving them the right address?

"How is that possible unless the old guy got lucky." Because the weapon was aimed at is head.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
#148 Posted by deactivated-57e5de5e137a4 (12929 posts) -
[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

jim_shorts

Fantastical even. Feel free to fund a study though and I'll help out.
#149 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -
[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"][QUOTE="jim_shorts"][QUOTE="guynamedbilly"] As a southerner and a gun owner, I can safely say yes, most are that paranoid.

Fantastical even. Feel free to fund a study though and I'll help out.

Well, all I've got is that I live in the south and no one seems paranoid at all. Seems equally valid.
#150 Posted by Pvt_r3d (7901 posts) -
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="Pvt_r3d"]Mmmm, seems like there's more to the story. Shot in the head? How is that possible unless the old guy got lucky. Why would the teens stay in the driveway for so long and especially when someone came out of the house the driveway belongs to, with a gun. The story the victim's friends came up with doesn't really add up either. Their GPS wasn't giving them the right address?

"How is that possible unless the old guy got lucky." Because the weapon was aimed at is head.

But the kid was in his vehicle was he not? I don't think he would be stupid enough to stay outside after figuring out he's in the wrong neighborhood.