Do you consider rap as music?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AxeStrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 AxeStrangler
Member since 2007 • 1889 Posts

classical is not obsolete toriko, if you go to a music school, like a real music school, theyll teach you classical , classical and more classical. thats the most technical and theoretic music. its the most significant and important music ever. and if you want to be anyone in the music world you need to respect and know how to play classical. look at the top of the line guitar players, their are a lot of good ones, but then their are the elite, about 5 guys that no one else is even close to . for example their are great guitar players like dave mustaine, but then their are people like marty friedman and paul gilbert, who not only can shred, but are proficient in flamengo and classical music, and know all the theory. saying classical is obsolete is just.. well.. the i word. and makes everything you said Null.nimatoad2000
dude as far as I know, Marty Friedman is completely self taught, and is not cIassically trained.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#152 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

[QUOTE="Toriko42"] Classical as in one person playing an individual instrument? There's a lot to learn there, theory, reading music, and generally being able to play well, instrument maintenance. Hip Hop is similar in that many Hip Hop artists, though they might not play an instrument, they do things with their voice most cIassical musicians could never do. Rapping is tiring, it's difficult, and it's insanely hard to memorize lyrics and spit them at rates of 100bpm without a hiccup day in and day out. There's a handful of Hip Hop artists too who produce their own music which also requires music theory, though different from what cIassical musicians learn. It's no slouch though, producing Hip Hop beats well is an art form, it takes massive amounts of time and it takes a lot of years to learn the best combinations. Many of these beats are extremely layered and it's a feat to seamless integrate all these layers into a cohesive unit. It's also amazing considering that if you have the ears and attention you can hear every layer of the song yet it'll still sound good. Soulja Boy is not an example of this, real Hip Hop production is needed. I will say though that cIassical instrument playing takes more practice over any music genre but since cIassical isn't a popular art form today, it's kind of obselete.

As for metal, you could bring up the whole 'they play their own instruments!' argument but it's not one guy playing four instruments, it's four people while a Hip Hop artist may just be one man. There are tons of Hip Hop groups though that use live instruments like Jay-Z and The Roots but that's besides the point. Hip Hop vocals take as much and sometimes more then metal vocalists. It's a different type of vocal styIe for sure but from the metal songs I see, a lot of the lyrics take a more poetic structure whereas Hip Hop songs can sometimes run up to 400-600 words. Hip Hop vocals also have to have a great flow which is also seen in metal as well. As for the instruments argument, I'll use the example of production again. Being a great producer is like learning an instrument and an artist that can produce well is equal to an artist that plays an instrument deftly.

Toriko42

If you're going to bring up the *cough* difficulty *cough* of rap vocals (which I find laughable), why not mention death metal growls? Good luck getting through an entire song growling, let alone through an hour-and-a-half or more long concert.

Tell me, have you tried rapping or freestyling? Freestyling takes more talent than growling since you have to come up with something on the spot and think on your feet in less then a second of something intelligent and cohesive to say. Hip Hop vocals are different from metal but are just as difficult albeit in different ways.

Those who can freestyle well I admire, but most of them can't, and it's a different talent nevertheless. And, well, I can tell you that most of the freestyling I've heard was far from intelligent :lol:

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#154 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts

[QUOTE="Toriko42"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

I really don't think it fair to say rapping requires natural talent and playing classical music doesn't. Both are skills you can acquire; some people are naturally better than others at each, a fact which is true of just about anything.

Nevertheless, it's not as if the lyrics of rappers are on the level of Dante, Homer, Poe, or many of the great writers of poetry/epic poems.

chessmaster1989

I'd say they are, just because they don't speak cIassical English... Hip Hop is the poetry of our day, it's the most popular form of poetry out there and there are many on that level.

No, seriously, you've read Dante and Homer and think that rap lyrics are better? This is a joke, right? :lol:

I didn't say better but in a modern light they are as powerful and as meaningful to many people.
nimatoad2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#155 nimatoad2000
Member since 2004 • 7505 Posts

[QUOTE="nimatoad2000"]classical is not obsolete toriko, if you go to a music school, like a real music school, theyll teach you classical , classical and more classical. thats the most technical and theoretic music. its the most significant and important music ever. and if you want to be anyone in the music world you need to respect and know how to play classical. look at the top of the line guitar players, their are a lot of good ones, but then their are the elite, about 5 guys that no one else is even close to . for example their are great guitar players like dave mustaine, but then their are people like marty friedman and paul gilbert, who not only can shred, but are proficient in flamengo and classical music, and know all the theory. saying classical is obsolete is just.. well.. the i word. and makes everything you said Null.AxeStrangler

dude as far as I know, Marty Friedman is completely self taught, and is not cIassically trained.

but he has studied clasical and middle eastern music. he's self taught in how to play the guitar, but he has studied and learned many styles of music. that holy wars middle eastern part came from the fact that he spent a lot of time learning middle eastern styles.
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Toriko42

[QUOTE="Toriko42"][QUOTE="nimatoad2000"]classical is not obsolete toriko, if you go to a music school, like a real music school, theyll teach you classical , classical and more classical. thats the most technical and theoretic music. its the most significant and important music ever. and if you want to be anyone in the music world you need to respect and know how to play classical. look at the top of the line guitar players, their are a lot of good ones, but then their are the elite, about 5 guys that no one else is even close to . for example their are great guitar players like dave mustaine, but then their are people like marty friedman and paul gilbert, who not only can shred, but are proficient in flamengo and classical music, and know all the theory. saying classical is obsolete is just.. well.. the i word. and makes everything you said Null.nimatoad2000

It's obselete as a popular form of music which I thought this thread was about but it's not obselte in the slightest as a type of music to learn. I see cIassical as being like Latin, it's a basis for language but no one speaks it anymore.

people that are serious about learning guitar, not kids that jst learn rock / metal songs for fun, but truely serious players, will always learn classic, so your wrong, people still speak it, a lot. not to mention their is an entire genre of metal that is still alive and kicking in TODAY called Neo-Classical

and honestly, who cares what is " popular" today, look at who is popular these days, miley cirus, jonas brothers, jack johnson, modest mouse, emo, screamo, metalcore, rap... popular = 98% BAD. so really, your arguement dosnt matter.

I'd say more people listen to music outside the mainstream but the fact is the people who don't listen to mainstream listen to totally different types of music from one another hence why there is a mainstream based around what maybe represent 30-40% of the music listening populace.
nimatoad2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 nimatoad2000
As long as it make a sound, i consider it music.Bloodseeker23
so then by your statement, the noise an airplane makes when it takes off, is considered music, because an airplane makes noise when it takes off, thus it is an instrument because it creates that noise. when the instrument makes noise, its music. space shuttles taking off , now thats a great artist!
wigan_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 wigan_gamer
Member since 2008 • 3293 Posts
Yes some rap is really good :)
dylan417

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#159 dylan417
Member since 2008 • 5195 Posts

how the F*** is it not!? It is to me the 2nd best of music behind classic Rock & Roll (Beatles, Stones, Dylan, etc.) most of the songs tell stories like eminem listen to Stan, Mockingbird, Cleaning Out My Closet, and many more. But now its being ruined by Soulja Boy and artist like him.

BTW Eminem is the best rapper alive if you ask me.

DazedDarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#160 DazedDarkness
Member since 2008 • 2261 Posts

Toriko I'm gonna to have to call you on that classical stab, Immortal even used Beethtoven on one of his songs. Hip-Hop isn't the world, other music is poetry too and it's evident. Fact is all of the so-called hip-hop fans of today could care less about peotry and if so most of them would be aces at the peotry session of an English class. The fact is that rhyming in it's own does not = poetry, if you think Gucci Mane, post Graduation Kanye, or any thing by 36 Mafia is poetry, you must never have read any poetry. At the same time Jay-Z, Tribe, KRS, and many pre sell out artist have some really hard stuff, real poetry. But Lil Wayne, Gucci, T.I. and Drake, might be good dance music and pump up music, but that's far from poetry.

As far as I'm concerned I'm tired of guys talking about sex, money, drugs, struggle, and so on. Once you've heard one dude talk about the hood, selling drugs, and se you've heard them all. Man i grew up in the "hood" I still live here as I type, but I don't need some guys on an album to reconfirm what I already know from life experience myself.

I see to many Hip-hop lovers wanting people to open up to hip-hop, most succumb. But most hip-hop lovers never give any else a chance, I listen to Hip-Hop, rock, punk, Electronic, and more, hip-hop doesn't consume most of my iTunes as it did in 2006.

AngelNeo00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 AngelNeo00
Member since 2009 • 392 Posts

[QUOTE="Toriko42"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

If you're going to bring up the *cough* difficulty *cough* of rap vocals (which I find laughable), why not mention death metal growls? Good luck getting through an entire song growling, let alone through an hour-and-a-half or more long concert.

chessmaster1989

Tell me, have you tried rapping or freestyling? Freestyling takes more talent than growling since you have to come up with something on the spot and think on your feet in less then a second of something intelligent and cohesive to say. Hip Hop vocals are different from metal but are just as difficult albeit in different ways.

Those who can freestyle well I admire, but most of them can't, and it's a different talent nevertheless. And, well, I can tell you that most of the freestyling I've heard was far from intelligent :lol:

And Vocal metal music sounds intelligent?

Hungry_Jello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Hungry_Jello
Member since 2008 • 3024 Posts

[QUOTE="Toriko42"][QUOTE="nimatoad2000"]classical is not obsolete toriko, if you go to a music school, like a real music school, theyll teach you classical , classical and more classical. thats the most technical and theoretic music. its the most significant and important music ever. and if you want to be anyone in the music world you need to respect and know how to play classical. look at the top of the line guitar players, their are a lot of good ones, but then their are the elite, about 5 guys that no one else is even close to . for example their are great guitar players like dave mustaine, but then their are people like marty friedman and paul gilbert, who not only can shred, but are proficient in flamengo and classical music, and know all the theory. saying classical is obsolete is just.. well.. the i word. and makes everything you said Null.nimatoad2000

It's obselete as a popular form of music which I thought this thread was about but it's not obselte in the slightest as a type of music to learn. I see cIassical as being like Latin, it's a basis for language but no one speaks it anymore.

people that are serious about learning guitar, not kids that jst learn rock / metal songs for fun, but truely serious players, will always learn classic, so your wrong, people still speak it, a lot. not to mention their is an entire genre of metal that is still alive and kicking in TODAY called Neo-Classical

and honestly, who cares what is " popular" today, look at who is popular these days, miley cirus, jonas brothers, jack johnson, modest mouse, emo, screamo, metalcore, rap... popular = 98% BAD. so really, your arguement dosnt matter.

Whats popular today is what most people like which puts your opinion in the minority which would make your argument invalid wouldnt it?

RushMetallica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#163 RushMetallica
Member since 2007 • 4501 Posts
Yes.
AxeStrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 AxeStrangler
[QUOTE="AxeStrangler"]

[QUOTE="nimatoad2000"]classical is not obsolete toriko, if you go to a music school, like a real music school, theyll teach you classical , classical and more classical. thats the most technical and theoretic music. its the most significant and important music ever. and if you want to be anyone in the music world you need to respect and know how to play classical. look at the top of the line guitar players, their are a lot of good ones, but then their are the elite, about 5 guys that no one else is even close to . for example their are great guitar players like dave mustaine, but then their are people like marty friedman and paul gilbert, who not only can shred, but are proficient in flamengo and classical music, and know all the theory. saying classical is obsolete is just.. well.. the i word. and makes everything you said Null.nimatoad2000

but he has studied clasical and middle eastern music. he's self taught in how to play the guitar, but he has studied and learned many styles of music. that holy wars middle eastern part came from the fact that he spent a lot of time learning middle eastern styles.

Ok, but you said he was proficient in Flamenco and CIassical, which he is not,.
Commander-Gree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 Commander-Gree
Member since 2009 • 4929 Posts
Of course! Its not my favorite genre, but it is music none the less.
DazedDarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 DazedDarkness
[QUOTE="Bloodseeker23"]As long as it make a sound, i consider it music.nimatoad2000
so then by your statement, the noise an airplane makes when it takes off, is considered music, because an airplane makes noise when it takes off, thus it is an instrument because it creates that noise. when the instrument makes noise, its music. space shuttles taking off , now thats a great artist!

Ignorance is bliss huh? Have you ever heard of people who can listen to everyday ambient sounds and think of music? I did that one time, and I didn't know if I sniffed some kind of toxin inside of my body once, but I went out side and even car horns sounded like music. Music is series of sounds, sounds are also noises, so if you combine a sounds and so what you make music.
nimatoad2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 nimatoad2000

[QUOTE="nimatoad2000"][QUOTE="AxeStrangler"] dude as far as I know, Marty Friedman is completely self taught, and is not cIassically trained.

AxeStrangler

i tied him with paul gilbert, who is. dont get tied up in the little details..

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Toriko42

Toriko I'm gonna to have to call you on that classical stab, Immortal even used Beethtoven on one of his songs. Hip-Hop isn't the world, other music is poetry too and it's evident. Fact is all of the so-called hip-hop fans of today could care less about peotry and if so most of them would be aces at the peotry session of an English class. The fact is that rhyming in it's own does not = poetry, if you think Gucci Mane, post Graduation Kanye, or any thing by 36 Mafia is poetry, you must never have read any poetry. At the same time Jay-Z, Tribe, KRS, and many pre sell out artist have some really hard stuff, real poetry. But Lil Wayne, Gucci, T.I. and Drake, might be good dance music and pump up music, but that's far from poetry.

As far as I'm concerned I'm tired of guys talking about sex, money, drugs, struggle, and so on. Once you've heard one dude talk about the hood, selling drugs, and se you've heard them all. Man i grew up in the "hood" I still live here as I type, but I don't need some guys on an album to reconfirm what I already know from life experience myself.

I see to many Hip-hop lovers wanting people to open up to hip-hop, most succumb. But most hip-hop lovers never give any else a chance, I listen to Hip-Hop, rock, punk, Electronic, and more, hip-hop doesn't consume most of my iTunes as it did in 2006.

DazedDarkness
Eh I listen to J-Rock too, I love bands like Dir en Grey, Due Le Quartz, Buck Tick, An Cafe, Kra, etc. If you want poetry go read some of Kyo's lyrics. I said that cIassical takes more talent then Hip Hop, I don't deny that at all. Many artists sample cIassical, you said Immortal, I'll one up that with Nas sampling Beethoven as well on 'I Can'. Fact is though people saying Hip Hop isn't music compared to metal, well that's just wrong. And I know that Drake, Gucci, and those dues aren't poets. I don't like any of those artists :lol: Artists like Mos Def, Blu & Exile, those are the artists today making poetic hip hop.
nimatoad2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 nimatoad2000
[QUOTE="nimatoad2000"][QUOTE="Bloodseeker23"]As long as it make a sound, i consider it music.DazedDarkness

Ignorance is bliss huh? Have you ever heard of people who can listen to everyday ambient sounds and think of music? I did that one time, and I didn't know if I sniffed some kind of toxin inside of my body once, but I went out side and even car horns sounded like music. Music is series of sounds, sounds are also noises, so if you combine a sounds and so what you make music.

music needs to be consciously made by a person using instruments, whatever they may be. not just the sounds of the world, those are called noises, theirs differences between sound / noise , and music that is created consciously.
Hungry_Jello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 Hungry_Jello

[QUOTE="nimatoad2000"]

[QUOTE="Toriko42"] It's obselete as a popular form of music which I thought this thread was about but it's not obselte in the slightest as a type of music to learn. I see cIassical as being like Latin, it's a basis for language but no one speaks it anymore. Toriko42

I'd say more people listen to music outside the mainstream but the fact is the people who don't listen to mainstream listen to totally different types of music from one another hence why there is a mainstream based around what maybe represent 30-40% of the music listening populace.

More people listen to mainstream hence why its called MAINstream. Its the more popular songs that people like and listen to. I dont get why everyone hates on mainstream. Just cause you dont like it doesnt mean its bad.

k_smoove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#171 k_smoove
Member since 2006 • 11954 Posts

Yes, but most of it isn't good music.

Foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 Foggel
Member since 2008 • 941 Posts

Not ass music, but I don't listen to it.

Oh, sorry. I misread the title.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#173 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts

I dont get why everyone hates on mainstream. Just cause you dont like it doesnt mean its bad.Hungry_Jello
Because it is generic, it has no soul, it has no purpose other than selling as many records as possible.

AxeStrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 AxeStrangler

[QUOTE="AxeStrangler"][QUOTE="nimatoad2000"] but he has studied clasical and middle eastern music. he's self taught in how to play the guitar, but he has studied and learned many styles of music. that holy wars middle eastern part came from the fact that he spent a lot of time learning middle eastern styles.nimatoad2000

uhhh, I don't think Paul Gilbert is proficient in Flamenco either. Paul Gilbert does know his Theory, but to say he's proficient in Flamenco and Classical music is stretching it. Sure he can play some Bach, Vivaldi, and Paganini on guitar, but not in the way a true CIassically trained guitarist would.
DazedDarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 DazedDarkness

[QUOTE="nimatoad2000"]

[QUOTE="Toriko42"] It's obselete as a popular form of music which I thought this thread was about but it's not obselte in the slightest as a type of music to learn. I see cIassical as being like Latin, it's a basis for language but no one speaks it anymore. Hungry_Jello

Whats popular today is what most people like which puts your opinion in the minority which would make your argument invalid wouldnt it?

Watered down society only listens to whats dealt by the majort corporations who sells you what's popularity based on some preemptive strike on the mind. In the 90's you had Britney Spears and Christina who were both just Janet, and Madonna clones, crappy at that, as time goes on you get these artist who just copy older artist and may never be as good. Show me one Michael Jackson wannabe of the 90's or 2000's who's as good? Why most of this stuff is popular now days is because it's what kids are dealt, if you introduce a kid to real soul and R&B like Chrisette Michelle or Raphael Sadiq before Keri Hilson, then you have the chance of swaying their future taste. The fact that Jonas Bros, Miley, and Kanye are popular now doesn't render the argument of they hate towards them invalid. Wii is as crappy console, and most people in these forums would agree, it sells more than PS3 and 360 but does that make it better? NO! Do you even listen to Miley Cyrus.... Most people from many musical outlets would tell you that they're crappy, and the fact is just because little pre teen girls like Miley and get the news out so the media can stuff Miley down our throats everday, doesn't make her good!
Lief_Ericson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 Lief_Ericson
Member since 2005 • 7082 Posts

Yes of course it is music

DazedDarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 DazedDarkness
[QUOTE="DazedDarkness"]

Toriko42
Eh I listen to J-Rock too, I love bands like Dir en Grey, Due Le Quartz, Buck Tick, An Cafe, Kra, etc. If you want poetry go read some of Kyo's lyrics. I said that cIassical takes more talent then Hip Hop, I don't deny that at all. Many artists sample cIassical, you said Immortal, I'll one up that with Nas sampling Beethoven as well on 'I Can'. Fact is though people saying Hip Hop isn't music compared to metal, well that's just wrong. And I know that Drake, Gucci, and those dues aren't poets. I don't like any of those artists :lol: Artists like Mos Def, Blu & Exile, those are the artists today making poetic hip hop.

Did I add you as a friend on here yet?
Skeleton--Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 Skeleton--Man
Member since 2008 • 590 Posts

Im curious and would like to know, who has heard anything out with mainstream music? Most of you guys are scrathing the surfaces, come back when you have a good knowledge of rap and then we can proplerly discuss it instead of showing it back in our faces.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="Toriko42"] Tell me, have you tried rapping or freestyling? Freestyling takes more talent than growling since you have to come up with something on the spot and think on your feet in less then a second of something intelligent and cohesive to say. Hip Hop vocals are different from metal but are just as difficult albeit in different ways. AngelNeo00

Vocals aren't the main feature of metal (unlike rap), as I've already said. ;)

Hungry_Jello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 Hungry_Jello

[QUOTE="Hungry_Jello"]I dont get why everyone hates on mainstream. Just cause you dont like it doesnt mean its bad.MrPraline

Because it is generic, it has no soul, it has no purpose other than selling as many records as possible.

Says who?

nimatoad2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 nimatoad2000
[QUOTE="AxeStrangler"][QUOTE="nimatoad2000"]

Ok, but you said he was proficient in Flamenco and CIassical, which he is not,.AxeStrangler

uhhh, I don't think Paul Gilbert is proficient in Flamenco either. Paul Gilbert does know his Theory, but to say he's proficient in Flamenco and Classical music is stretching it. Sure he can play some Bach, Vivaldi, and Paganini on guitar, but not in the way a true CIassically trained guitarist would.

he has a flamenco song and its godly, of course not as good as the classic flamenco players, but still great. and well shoot dude he plays soo many classical songs and he does them perfectly in my eyes, of course seeing as he can do soo many different things, he's not going to be an expert at everything, but who is? hes great at classical and flamengo, but of course he's a virtuoso at shred / rock / metal / neoclassical guitar playing.
AngelNeo00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 AngelNeo00

[QUOTE="Hungry_Jello"]I dont get why everyone hates on mainstream. Just cause you dont like it doesnt mean its bad.MrPraline

I think the main reason why people hate mainstream music ( Mily Cyrus , Lil Wayne and Jonas brothers) because of the sole fact it is mainstream to be honest. Don't get me wrong I dislike most mainstream music as well but I do not think it is bad because if it was truly terrible than no one would listen to it anyways. It wouldn't be mainstream if it was so bad.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="MrPraline"]

[QUOTE="Hungry_Jello"]I dont get why everyone hates on mainstream. Just cause you dont like it doesnt mean its bad.AngelNeo00

I think the main reason why people hate mainstream music ( Mily Cyrus , Lil Wayne and Jonas brothers) because of the sole fact it is mainstream to be honest. Don't get me wrong I dislike most mainstream music as well but I do not think it is bad because if it was truly terrible than no one would listen to it anyways. It wouldn't be mainstream if it was so bad.

No, popular =/= good. If it were, The Dark Knight would probably be considered the best movie ever :lol:

DazedDarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 DazedDarkness

Yes, but most of it isn't good music.

k_smoove
Most is good, out of the handfull of artist on the radio getting play. I can name all of the most popular rappers now in a handful. Gucci Wayne Drake Soulja Boy(Ugh) Kanye 50 cent(Popularity still being determined) Some 1 hot wonders( I don't know their names) those guys who made jerk Ace Hood Jeezy(Good) T.I. and a few, but not many! more, Compare that to the virtually unknown actually good underground masses of rappers and the few good ones in the mainstream(Lupe, Commom, Mos, Kudi, Wale) their actually is more good than bad, most people just don't look for it.
nimatoad2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 nimatoad2000
[QUOTE="AngelNeo00"]

[QUOTE="MrPraline"]

I dont get why everyone hates on mainstream. Just cause you dont like it doesnt mean its bad.Hungry_Jello

its because mainstream music isnt mainstream because its actually popular and good, but because the record labels blow soo much money advertizing a band strait from its birth, most bands and artists are artificially created, the band dosnt write their music or lyrics, they are given their lyrics by writers, they are chosen for their looks and marketability. they are artificially made to look popular so that ppl jump on them because they think they are popular, like jonas brothers, disney makes them to look like the next big thing, larry king interviews them, they are all over tv and then ppl are like " who are these guys? how dont i know them? i better start or i wont be cool"
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 MrPraline
I think the main reason why people hate mainstream music ( Mily Cyrus , Lil Wayne and Jonas brothers) because of the sole fact it is mainstream to be honest. Don't get me wrong I dislike most mainstream music as well but I do not think it is bad because if it was truly terrible than no one would listen to it anyways. It wouldn't be mainstream if it was so bad.AngelNeo00
Miley Cyrus and Jonas Brothers are popular because of their image, their fanbase (preteens) does not really care about the technical quality of the music.
AngelNeo00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 AngelNeo00

[QUOTE="AngelNeo00"]

chessmaster1989

Good point. However, rap vocals are far more poetic and talented than metal vocals.;) Just to get my point across.

Hungry_Jello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 Hungry_Jello

[QUOTE="Hungry_Jello"]

[QUOTE="nimatoad2000"]

DazedDarkness

Watered down society only listens to whats dealt by the majort corporations who sells you what's popularity based on some preemptive strike on the mind. In the 90's you had Britney Spears and Christina who were both just Janet, and Madonna clones, crappy at that, as time goes on you get these artist who just copy older artist and may never be as good. Show me one Michael Jackson wannabe of the 90's or 2000's who's as good? Why most of this stuff is popular now days is because it's what kids are dealt, if you introduce a kid to real soul and R&B like Chrisette Michelle or Raphael Sadiq before Keri Hilson, then you have the chance of swaying their future taste. The fact that Jonas Bros, Miley, and Kanye are popular now doesn't render the argument of they hate towards them invalid. Wii is as crappy console, and most people in these forums would agree, it sells more than PS3 and 360 but does that make it better? NO! Do you even listen to Miley Cyrus.... Most people from many musical outlets would tell you that they're crappy, and the fact is just because little pre teen girls like Miley and get the news out so the media can stuff Miley down our throats everday, doesn't make her good!

Not necessarily. People listen to mainstream without being forced all the time. At my job I here kids sing Hannah Montana songs all the time. Not because they are forced to because they like it. People dont buy the Wii because they are forced to but because they love the dang thing. Thats why its on top. If people didnt like mainstream then they wouldnt have so many dam people at the concerts.

DazedDarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 DazedDarkness

And Hungry Jello and the like, What are you guys like 2 years old? You should have evolved pass the age to know that popular /=/ good....

Like that other guy said, The Dark Knight would probably be considered Cinema gold. Most people like that movie for the Joker and that's it.

If that was the case, the Wii would be considered the all time greatest console and Gamespot would be filled with Wii loving fans.

More people drive a Honda Accord than they drive a Farrari, or a Lambo... But is the Honda the better car?

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 MrPraline
Good point. However, rap vocals are far more poetic and talented than metal vocals.;) Just to get my point across.AngelNeo00
There are different styles of metal vocals. Which style are you talking about?
nimatoad2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 nimatoad2000
[QUOTE="AngelNeo00"]

[QUOTE="AngelNeo00"] And Vocal metal music sounds intelligent?

Good point. However, rap vocals are far more poetic and talented than metal vocals.;) Just to get my point across.

metal dosnt care about vocals at all dude, its all about the music, all about the riffs.... metal vocalists are just bass players or rhythm guitar players that say " Fck it, i'll sing" and thats it. only classic heavy metal like sabbath maiden priest have lead singers, 97% of thrash / black / doom / death metal bands dont have lead singers.
effena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 effena
Member since 2008 • 2811 Posts

its because mainstream music isnt mainstream because its actually popular and good, but because the record labels blow soo much money advertizing a band strait from its birth, most bands and artists are artificially created, the band dosnt write their music or lyrics, they are given their lyrics by writers, they are chosen for their looks and marketability. they are artificially made to look popular so that ppl jump on them because they think they are popular, like jonas brothers, disney makes them to look like the next big thing, larry king interviews them, they are all over tv and then ppl are like " who are these guys? how dont i know them? i better start or i wont be cool"nimatoad2000

I agree, but the bold part certianly doesn't apply to all mainstream artists. For example, Soulja boy writes and produces his music, and for a teenager, it's pretty incredible.

htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#193 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts

well music usually makes a point about something.

so no.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="AngelNeo00"] And Vocal metal music sounds intelligent?

AngelNeo00

That's because metal bands don't focus on having good vocals. This is the third time I've said that in this thread. :|

Anyway, if you want fantastic vocals, listen to Dylan. I guarantee you his lyrics blow any rap lyrics out of the water.

atm0073

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 atm0073
Member since 2005 • 3069 Posts
To not regard rap as a form of music would be technically incorrect. So yes, I suppose I do "consider rap as music".
AngelNeo00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 AngelNeo00

[QUOTE="AngelNeo00"]

[QUOTE="MrPraline"] Because it is generic, it has no soul, it has no purpose other than selling as many records as possible.

chessmaster1989

No, popular =/= good. If it were, The Dark Knight would probably be considered the best movie ever :lol:

And Popular =/= bad as well. Just to add to your statement Again although it my opinion, I believe that just because something is popular doesn't makes it bad. If a lot of people are truly enjoying Lil Wayne and Jonas brothers than it must have some type of element that makes it good music for those people.
Hungry_Jello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 Hungry_Jello

And Hungry Jello and the like, What are you guys like 2 years old? You should have evolved pass the age to know that popular /=/ good....

Like that other guy said, The Dark Knight would probably be considered Cinema gold. Most people like that movie for the Joker and that's it.

If that was the case, the Wii would be considered the all time greatest console and Gamespot would be filled with Wii loving fans.

More people drive a Honda Accord than they drive a Farrari, or a Lambo... But is the Honda the better car?

DazedDarkness

Just because it is popular doesnt mean its not good. Dont stereotype.

DazedDarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 DazedDarkness

[QUOTE="DazedDarkness"][QUOTE="Hungry_Jello"]

Hungry_Jello

Not necessarily. People listen to mainstream without being forced all the time. At my job I here kids sing Hannah Montana songs all the time. Not because they are forced to because they like it. People dont buy the Wii because they are forced to but because they love the dang thing. Thats why its on top. If people didnt like mainstream then they wouldnt have so many dam people at the concerts.

Let me re word. Not necessarily forced, but always talked about constantly advertised, and constantly played. The radio hardly gives any underground artist any play, the news never talks about those phenomenal games like LBP or so on, unless the game has sparked some kind of negative controversy. Other than WIi Fit in the news for the new Middle. class mom game. The internet is here, but sadly most people use it to further look into crappy artist, and like I said , when your dealt the cards you're dealt you play, or you get out. Back then the Beatles was popular music, now Jonas brothers concerts do Beatles numbers... You see what I'm telling you here? and let me top it off by saying, the Beatles wouldn't have a chance if they had just came out in modern day music and still played what they played in the past.
effena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 effena
Member since 2008 • 2811 Posts

well music usually makes a point about something.

so no.

htekemerald

Is this a joke?