Do you consider rap as music?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#201 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

[QUOTE="AngelNeo00"] I think the main reason why people hate mainstream music ( Mily Cyrus , Lil Wayne and Jonas brothers) because of the sole fact it is mainstream to be honest. Don't get me wrong I dislike most mainstream music as well but I do not think it is bad because if it was truly terrible than no one would listen to it anyways. It wouldn't be mainstream if it was so bad.

AngelNeo00

No, popular =/= good. If it were, The Dark Knight would probably be considered the best movie ever :lol:

And Popular =/= bad as well. Just to add to your statement Again although it my opinion, I believe that just because something is popular doesn't makes it bad. If a lot of people are truly enjoying Lil Wayne and Jonas brothers than it must have some type of element that makes it good music for those people.

Whoever said poluar is bad? I can sure as hell tell you I never said that.

DazedDarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#202 DazedDarkness
Member since 2008 • 2261 Posts

[QUOTE="AngelNeo00"] I think the main reason why people hate mainstream music ( Mily Cyrus , Lil Wayne and Jonas brothers) because of the sole fact it is mainstream to be honest. Don't get me wrong I dislike most mainstream music as well but I do not think it is bad because if it was truly terrible than no one would listen to it anyways. It wouldn't be mainstream if it was so bad.

AngelNeo00

No, popular =/= good. If it were, The Dark Knight would probably be considered the best movie ever :lol:

And Popular =/= bad as well. Just to add to your statement Again although it my opinion, I believe that just because something is popular doesn't makes it bad. If a lot of people are truly enjoying Lil Wayne and Jonas brothers than it must have some type of element that makes it good music for those people.

What popular artist, that get radio play, and spot on the MTV are their now days? I want to know, and no not popular amongst Indie, hipster circles, or metal head circles. What band, rapper, or who ever in the mainstream now are not redundant are making anything unique. What female artist isn't following in Beyonce's lead? What band isn't being new Fall Out Boy or Nickel Back? Come on I', waiting for these "Good" artist in the mainstream.
AngelNeo00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#203 AngelNeo00
Member since 2009 • 392 Posts

[QUOTE="AngelNeo00"]

Vocals aren't the main feature of metal (unlike rap), as I've already said. ;)

chessmaster1989

Good point. However, rap vocals are far more poetic and talented than metal vocals.;) Just to get my point across.

That's because metal bands don't focus on having good vocals. This is the third time I've said that in this thread. :|

Anyway, if you want fantastic vocals, listen to Dylan. I guarantee you his lyrics blow any rap lyrics out of the water.

And I told you I said that just to get my original point across :|

Anyways, when you say Dylan blows away any rap lyrics what are you basing your statement on? The substance of the lyrics or the ryhmes?

htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#204 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts

[QUOTE="htekemerald"]

well music usually makes a point about something.

so no.

STurn21

This makes no point about anything ?

aswell as people who make music usually have some form of talent.

Hungry_Jello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 Hungry_Jello
Member since 2008 • 3024 Posts

[QUOTE="AngelNeo00"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

DazedDarkness

What popular artist, that get radio play, and spot on the MTV are their now days? I want to know, and no not popular amongst Indie, hipster circles, or metal head circles. What band, rapper, or who ever in the mainstream now are not redundant are making anything unique. What female artist isn't following in Beyonce's lead? What band isn't being new Fall Out Boy or Nickel Back? Come on I', waiting for these "Good" artist in the mainstream.

Ne yo is a great RB singer that has radio play and has been on BET many times. Of course "good" is subjective. He was at the BET awards and did very good.

Shhadow_Viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 Shhadow_Viper
Member since 2009 • 2300 Posts

[QUOTE="AngelNeo00"]

Vocals aren't the main feature of metal (unlike rap), as I've already said. ;)

chessmaster1989

Good point. However, rap vocals are far more poetic and talented than metal vocals.;) Just to get my point across.

That's because metal bands don't focus on having good vocals. This is the third time I've said that in this thread. :|

Anyway, if you want fantastic vocals, listen to Dylan. I guarantee you his lyrics blow any rap lyrics out of the water.

I can think of many lyricist in different genres I would take over Dylan. What many people seem to not acknowledge is that good and bad are subjective terms. Also just because popular does not equal good neccessarily, popular also does not equal bad. Something can be popular and good.
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="AngelNeo00"] Good point. However, rap vocals are far more poetic and talented than metal vocals.;) Just to get my point across.

AngelNeo00

Anyways, when you say Dylan blows away any rap lyrics what are you basing your statement on? The substance of the lyrics or the ryhmes?

Substance, obviously... :|

Akm4everz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 Akm4everz
Member since 2004 • 2390 Posts
Why do we keep making these threads talking about rappers and rap music.. this is a huge form of discrimination if you ask me. Just listen to what u listen to and shut up. I listen to all types of music (Rap,Hip-Hop, Techno,Metal, Rock)... but i hate country. You dont see me making hate topics about country singers and their music... I just don't listen to it, so its out of my life completely. Free speech is a gift but stop abusing it... this topic has been done billions of times already, grow up.
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="AngelNeo00"] Good point. However, rap vocals are far more poetic and talented than metal vocals.;) Just to get my point across.

Shhadow_Viper

I can think of many lyricist in different genres I would take over Dylan. What many people seem to not acknowledge is that good and bad are subjective terms. Also just because popular does not equal good neccessarily, popular also does not equal bad. Something can be popular and good.

No kidding, I said that in one of my posts already. :|

DazedDarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 DazedDarkness

You know what, forget it. Music tasted is subjective, like what you like. Personally I think metal sucks, I can't stand it At the same time I think most rap sucks, I'l continue listening to radio head, common, Mos def, Daft Punk, Kid Cudi, The Beatles, and even Blink 182 all I want. I don't care what you listen to, just don't force it on me, and call my music taste bad because it's not what you like.

Metal heads, and hip-hop lovers, tug hard and get you heads out of that smelly place, that's under your back.

DazedDarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 DazedDarkness

[QUOTE="DazedDarkness"][QUOTE="AngelNeo00"] And Popular =/= bad as well. Just to add to your statement Again although it my opinion, I believe that just because something is popular doesn't makes it bad. If a lot of people are truly enjoying Lil Wayne and Jonas brothers than it must have some type of element that makes it good music for those people. Hungry_Jello

Ne yo is a great RB singer that has radio play and has been on BET many times. Of course "good" is subjective. He was at the BET awards and did very good.

I forgot about Ne-Yo, his rendition of "Lady in my life" was great, I loved and own his first and 2nd CD also. So I should shut up
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#214 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
You know what, forget it. DazedDarkness
Agreed. I'm done with this thread.
zepman71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 zepman71
Member since 2005 • 4120 Posts

OK, so we've established that rap is music...about a million pages ago. Why wasn't this closed?-_-

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#216 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

Classical as in one person playing an individual instrument? There's a lot to learn there, theory, reading music, and generally being able to play well, instrument maintenance. Hip Hop is similar in that many Hip Hop artists, though they might not play an instrument, they do things with their voice most cIassical musicians could never do.

I don't understand what you mean by this. I hope you are not comparing a hip hop voice to a well playedclasical instrument.:?

Rapping is tiring, it's difficult, and it's insanely hard to memorize lyrics and spit them at rates of 100bpm without a hiccup day in and day out. There's a handful of Hip Hop artists too who produce their own music which also requires music theory, though different from what cIassical musicians learn.

Rapping COULD be tiring, it COULD be hard to memorize. Doesn't mean all rap is like that. All of the majorclasical musicians made their own, unique compositions from their own minds, singlehandedly.

It's no slouch though, producing Hip Hop beats well is an art form, it takes massive amounts of time and it takes a lot of years to learn the best combinations.

I agree somewhat.

I will say though that cIassical instrument playing takes more practice over any music genre but since cIassical isn't a popular art form today, it's kind of obselete.

This statement is laughable and I won't get into it.

As for metal, you could bring up the whole 'they play their own instruments!' argument but it's not one guy playing four instruments, it's four people while a Hip Hop artist may just be one man. There are tons of Hip Hop groups though that use live instruments like Jay-Z and The Roots but that's besides the point.

I don't understand the point at all. Bands are a group of musicians. Rappers are not. I will say that truly exceptional bands must be on the same page and have great chemestry to make the music they do.

Hip Hop vocals take as much and sometimes more then metal vocalists. It's a different type of vocal styIe for sure but from the metal songs I see, a lot of the lyrics take a more poetic structure whereas Hip Hop songs can sometimes run up to 400-600 words. Hip Hop vocals also have to have a great flow which is also seen in metal as well.

Saying words very fast is better than a metal singer giving his voice his all how? The styl*s are not the same, but you present only opinion in this regard. Bruce Dickenson, Geoff Tate and other rock vocalists deliver tremendous amounts of soul and energy in their singing. Speed does not equal "better".

As for the instruments argument, I'll use the example of production again. Being a great producer is like learning an instrument and an artist that can produce well is equal to an artist that plays an instrument deftly.

I highly disagree. A producer does not pursue the craft of producing the way a guitarist or bassist does in their respective instruments. It's not just complexity I'm reffering to either. It's also reaching new sounds and breaking the molds previously set by other works. Also, most metal bands have a heavy hand in the production side as well. Metal bands sing the songs, write the music and play the instruments while being tight in their playing with each other. You have no basis forsome of thestatements you made.

Toriko42

Shhadow_Viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 Shhadow_Viper
Member since 2009 • 2300 Posts

[QUOTE="Shhadow_Viper"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

chessmaster1989

No kidding, I said that in one of my posts already. :|

I saw that after I posted. :| This thread is moving quickly.
AngelNeo00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 AngelNeo00

[QUOTE="AngelNeo00"]

chessmaster1989

Dude no:|

Rap lyrics contain substance from almost every issues,politics, hardships and basic facts of life. Basically hip hop contains so many lyrics that you wouldnt be hard press not to find good lyrics that are irrelavant. If anything Tupac lyrical substance is probably one of the best ever.

Anyways, this argument wont get us anywhere as music is base on personal preferance.

BlackHawk340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 BlackHawk340
Member since 2006 • 4418 Posts

Rap to me is nothing more then people complaining on how hard their live is in the bronc or whatever.

gdogghenrikson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#220 gdogghenrikson
Member since 2005 • 3028 Posts

Do you consider a dog to be a reptile?

AjaxNeron

no, a dog is a plant,.............LOL

kidcool189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 kidcool189
Member since 2008 • 4307 Posts
absolutely, why wouldn't I
Kid-Icarus-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 Kid-Icarus-
Member since 2006 • 733 Posts

So many generalizations, stereotypes and ill-informed opinions.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="AngelNeo00"]

AngelNeo00

Rap lyrics contain substance from almost every issues,politics, hardships and basic facts of life. Basically hip hop contains so many lyrics that you wouldnt be hard press not to find good lyrics that are irrelavant. If anything Tupac lyrical substance is probably one of the best ever.

Anyways, this argument wont get us anywhere as music is base on personal preferance.

I've listened to Tupac, he's one of the few rappers I admire (though I lost interest in his songs). And, yes, I do say Dylan beats Tupac (and all other rap I've heard) in terms of substance. Have you listened to Blowin' In The Wind or A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall (two name just two of his many spectacular songs)?

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#224 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Of course it's music. You'd have to be a very closed-minded person to say that it isn't. Hell, I HATE Soulja Boy, but I acknlowedge the fact that he makes music. He makes very BAD music, but he still makes music nonetheless.
AngelNeo00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 AngelNeo00

[QUOTE="AngelNeo00"]

chessmaster1989

I've listened to Tupac, he's one of the few rappers I admire (though I lost interest in his songs). And, yes, I do say Dylan beats Tupac (and all other rap I've heard) in terms of substance. Have you listened to Blowin' In The Wind or A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall (two name just two of his many spectacular songs)?

I have some familiarity with Robert Dylan base on my popular music class last year. But anyways, those two songs were base on the Vietnam war which was popularly unpopular. However, it very hard to compare whether his lyrics had more substance than Tupac because they came from a different era. Both of there lyrics have great substance. However, there substance are base on different issues. I think a far better comparison would be either a singer/rock-star's lyrics from the same era as Tupac or someone from the same era as Bob Dylan.

joesh89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 308

#226 joesh89
Member since 2008 • 8489 Posts

Of course its music, what a stupid question.

smokingsbad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 smokingsbad
Member since 2004 • 38455 Posts
Of course its music, Just because you don't like it, it doesn't mean its not music >.>
ragek1ll589

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 ragek1ll589
Member since 2007 • 8650 Posts

Of course it's music.

TBoogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 TBoogy
Member since 2007 • 4382 Posts

No, I've never considered it "music" really all rappers do these days are make words rhym and they make little to no sense.

Gamerz1569

MOst song lyrics rhyme. That has very little to do with what rap is.

1hit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 1hit
Member since 2006 • 209 Posts

Rap is music, because it requires talent.

Simple as that.

Jamiemydearx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 Jamiemydearx3
Member since 2008 • 4062 Posts

Of course it is, even more so then Screamo and such.

Oakfront

I dont know about that, but rap is most def music.

TBoogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 TBoogy

Of course not , its just plain talking with computer generated sound tracks (both rap and hiphop)

garaa2007

Yeah...the computer made the tracks. Timbaland, Dre, Kanye, etc. had nothing to do with it. Just the little cyber people. The computer knows what we want. All hail the mighty computers.

Norg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 Norg
Member since 2002 • 15959 Posts

[QUOTE="Toriko42"]

Classical as in one person playing an individual instrument? There's a lot to learn there, theory, reading music, and generally being able to play well, instrument maintenance. Hip Hop is similar in that many Hip Hop artists, though they might not play an instrument, they do things with their voice most cIassical musicians could never do.

I don't understand what you mean by this. I hope you are not comparing a hip hop voice to a well playedclasical instrument.:?

Rapping is tiring, it's difficult, and it's insanely hard to memorize lyrics and spit them at rates of 100bpm without a hiccup day in and day out. There's a handful of Hip Hop artists too who produce their own music which also requires music theory, though different from what cIassical musicians learn.

Rapping COULD be tiring, it COULD be hard to memorize. Doesn't mean all rap is like that. All of the majorclasical musicians made their own, unique compositions from their own minds, singlehandedly.

It's no slouch though, producing Hip Hop beats well is an art form, it takes massive amounts of time and it takes a lot of years to learn the best combinations.

I agree somewhat.

I will say though that cIassical instrument playing takes more practice over any music genre but since cIassical isn't a popular art form today, it's kind of obselete.

As for metal, you could bring up the whole 'they play their own instruments!' argument but it's not one guy playing four instruments, it's four people while a Hip Hop artist may just be one man. There are tons of Hip Hop groups though that use live instruments like Jay-Z and The Roots but that's besides the point.

I don't understand the point at all. Bands are a group of musicians. Rappers are not. I will say that truly exceptional bands must be on the same page and have great chemestry to make the music they do.

Hip Hop vocals take as much and sometimes more then metal vocalists. It's a different type of vocal styIe for sure but from the metal songs I see, a lot of the lyrics take a more poetic structure whereas Hip Hop songs can sometimes run up to 400-600 words. Hip Hop vocals also have to have a great flow which is also seen in metal as well.

Saying words very fast is better than a metal singer giving his voice his all how? The styl*s are not the same, but you present only opinion in this regard. Bruce Dickenson, Geoff Tate and other rock vocalists deliver tremendous amounts of soul and energy in their singing. Speed does not equal "better".

As for the instruments argument, I'll use the example of production again. Being a great producer is like learning an instrument and an artist that can produce well is equal to an artist that plays an instrument deftly.

I highly disagree. A producer does not pursue the craft of producing the way a guitarist or bassist does in their respective instruments. It's not just complexity I'm reffering to either. It's also reaching new sounds and breaking the molds previously set by other works. Also, most metal bands have a heavy hand in the production side as well. Metal bands sing the songs, write the music and play the instruments while being tight in their playing with each other. You have no basis forsome of thestatements you made.

FFCYAN

U must not think some hip hop artist dont play in a band together for example the roots crew they play "together" just like any other rock based band

1hit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 1hit
Member since 2006 • 209 Posts

[QUOTE="garaa2007"]

Of course not , its just plain talking with computer generated sound tracks (both rap and hiphop)

TBoogy

Yeah...the computer made the tracks. Timbaland, Dre, Kanye, etc. had nothing to do with it. Just the little cyber people. The computer knows what we want. All hail the mighty computers.

Could not have said it any better

mlisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 mlisen
Member since 2007 • 3287 Posts

Rap by itself (like in rap-battles) isn't music I don't think. I would say that's closer to poetry. Perhaps with a backing track or band it is.
Although, I do consider singers to be musicians so I guess I'll say that rappers are musicians.

And I'm not being biased, I listen to rap as well.

TBoogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 TBoogy

[QUOTE="pianist"]

As of now there are 12 people who don't know what they're talking about. Rap is indeed music. If you argue that rap is not music because all it has is a beat, then you must also dismiss all other forms of unpitched percussion music, because they too use only rhythm and are in most cases quite repetitive. Organized rhythm is a fundamental characteristic of purposefully organized sound (some would argue it is the most basic and crucial characteristic in fact), and any purposefully organized sound is definitely music.

There is no room for opinion here. If you vote "No," you are casting a vote for ignorance. And I hate rap music.

MrPraline

I agree. Just to make this a little more interesting, would you consider a rapper a musician, because he only raps while the beats you are talking about are usually created by somebody else? I see rap as music by the way, just not my favorite genre.

A rapper is not a musician. He is a rapper. Closer in relation to a spoken word artist than a guitar player.

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

[QUOTE="FFCYAN"]

[QUOTE="Toriko42"]

I agree somewhat.

Norg

U must not think some hip hop artist dont play in a band together for example the roots crew they play "together" just like any other rock based band

You're right. I was just going by what he said. I've seen rap artists in groups before. They didn't play any instruments however.

Avatar image for dan-rofl-copter
dan-rofl-copter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 dan-rofl-copter
Member since 2008 • 2702 Posts

Yeh of course I do, there isn't any genre I wouldn't and don't see how you can. Also rap rules.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

[QUOTE="garaa2007"]

TBoogy

And while we're at it, every guitarist in the world isn't talented. The guitar makes the music!

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#240 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts

[QUOTE="Norg"]

[QUOTE="FFCYAN"]

FFCYAN

You're right. I was just going by what he said. I've seen rap artists in groups before. They didn't play any instruments however.

A rap group is as talented as any band, they have to feed off eachother and have a very common bond to work well together. If they aren't feeling eachother they're going to suck, just like any band.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#241 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
Yes. Mostly not very good music, but music nonetheless.
MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts
Why sholdn't it be considered music? Because it is.
StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts

It's not my favorite kind of music, but it is music. I like a lot of the rap from the 1990s, but most of the new artists I've heard can't hold a candle.

theharlemshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 theharlemshake
Member since 2009 • 808 Posts

[QUOTE="Toriko42"]

FFCYAN

Just throwing this out there, but I'm unaware of any (at least popular) prodcuers that don't know how to play at least one musical instrument. I (and I'm sure the producers themselves) would attribute their success to knowing how to play either piano, guitar, or the drums, if not all or some other combination.

bokiloki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 bokiloki
Member since 2008 • 1452 Posts

the only people that say no, are ignorants who think every rapper only raps about sex, money, girls etc. just like rock music the commercial music you hear on the radio is crap, underground is where you will find the best artists.

lm2f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 lm2f
Member since 2007 • 1272 Posts
I consider it "retards prompting poetry"
789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

No. Get a beat, put in some talking, there you go.

OnlyKurial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 OnlyKurial
Member since 2009 • 1102 Posts

Falsetto + Drum Beat =/= MUSIC

Darth-Caedus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 Darth-Caedus
Member since 2008 • 20756 Posts
Yes, mostly dull and uninteresting music, but music.
weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
this topic is full of fail