Do You Believe Jesus Christ Rose From The Dead? (Poll)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 blackregiment
Member since 2007 • 11937 Posts

No I do not. I'm iffy on if Jesus Christ was a real person, though I tend to believe he was. Raising from the dead is a part I do not believe. If one looks into ancient Egyptian texts they will find a God, a 1000 years or so older than Jesus Christ, who was born a virgin birth, had many of the same life story lines, then rose from the dead, which was witnessed by his mother & another female follower. Food for thought.btaylor2404

Please provide your source linking to the original religious texts with the details, not the fictional zeitgeist movie.

OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts

I don't know.

tycoonmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#153 tycoonmike
Member since 2005 • 6082 Posts

[QUOTE="tycoonmike"] You are proselytising God's "Word," thus you are, by extension, condemning people. Is that not God's job?

So then that makes Jesus both flawed and unflawed? Crushmaster

It is to a point. We are, however, to judge according to His Word.

As to your question, look at this page: http://www.carm.org/questions/questions-about-jesus It should give you an answer better than I could.

But whose criteria are the right ones? Yours? Mine? Martin Luther's? St. Paul's?

And don't go hiding behind others, I want to know what YOU believe. Is Jesus both flawed and not flawed?

blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 blackregiment

[QUOTE="blackregiment"]

[QUOTE="bogaty"]

Jesus never existed as anything other than a work of fiction.

chessmaster1989

In order for one not to believe that Jesus is God, that He was raised from the dead, which therefore proves that God exists, they would have to deny the truth of the empty tomb and the Resurrection. In addition, they would have to deny the fulfillment of hundreds of prophecies in Christ. .

They would have to believe that the Apostles and early Christians made up the resurrection account. This would require a rational explanation for why the Apostles and early Christians would willingly endure persecution and death for something they knew was a lie? The Apostles and early Christians were stoned, beheaded, boiled in oil, imprisoned, crucified, scourged, fed to lions, clothed in animal skins and then torn apart by wild beasts, tarred and lit on fire, disemboweled, burnt at the stake, etc., rather than recant their faith.

A rational explanation would be required as to why the Jewish Priests and Roman authorities that wanted so much to stamp out early Christianity, as evidenced by their persecution of Christians, chose not to display Jesus' body to disprove the claims of the followers of Christ that he had arose from the dead.

A rational explanation would be required for the dramatic change in the Apostles' behavior. They scattered and even denied knowing Jesus when He was arrested. After His death, they were crushed, in hiding, their Messiah put to death like a common criminal. Suddenly, after Jesus appeared to them there was a dramatic change. They began to openly preach the Gospel in the Temple in Jerusalem, the very city where Jesus was crucified. The very city where there were living eyewitnesses to the events that would have refuted them if they were lying. They were told to stop but defied the authorities. The endured persecution and ultimately death rather than recant their faith because they believed they saw, touched, and fellowshipped with the resurrected Jesus.

Also needing rational explanation would be why the Apostles were bold enough to preach the resurrection in Jerusalem, the very city where Christ was crucified, to crowds that lived during those events and could have easily disputed the resurrection claims publicly. If they were spreading a lie, why did they not go to some remote area where there were no eyewitnesses to the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ that could disputed their claims if they were lying?

Finally, one would need to explain why the early Church grew so quickly in a pagan world, especially when it was under intense persecution. Even today, in countries like North Korea and China, where Christians are under the most intense persecution, the Church is growing faster than in areas with less persecution.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that you are not entitled to your beliefs, far be it to impose on your free will, but personally, when one rationally considers the evidence, the reasonable and rational belief is in the truth of Christianity.

Yes, and in order to believe in the resurrection, one has to rationally believe that people can rise from the dead.

Jesus is God. You cannot compare the abilities of God to the abilities of humans.

Rikardur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 Rikardur
Member since 2008 • 9290 Posts

I think more people need to look at that picture I posted.

tycoonmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 tycoonmike

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that you are not entitled to your beliefs, far be it to impose on your free will, but personally, when one rationally considers the evidence, the reasonable and rational belief is in the truth of Christianity.

blackregiment

And everyone else will tell you everything else. Far be it on them to say that you're entitled to your belief, but don't try to force it on you by making such loaded comments like "when one rationally considers the evidence."

nimatoad2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#157 nimatoad2000
Member since 2004 • 7505 Posts
the fact that 38% said yes scares me.
Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 Crushmaster
Member since 2008 • 4324 Posts

Yes, and in order to believe in the resurrection, one has to rationally believe that people can rise from the dead.

chessmaster1989

If Jesus was God (which He was), it is not remotely irrational to say He was able to rise from the dead (which He did).

DarkSmokeNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#159 DarkSmokeNinja
Member since 2008 • 3485 Posts
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

[QUOTE="DarkSmokeNinja"]

1. I don't really know. I'd speculate that matter or energy, in some form, has always existed.

2. We just die. There is nothing after. I'd predict it's something like a dreamless sleep from which you never wake up.

3. No.

Okay where did the matter and energy that you think formed the universe come from?[QUOTE="RadBooley"]

[QUOTE="DarkSmokeNinja"]

1. How did you think the Earth and everthing else was made?

I dunno.

2. Where do you think you go when you die?

Nowhere.

3. Do you ever get a strange feeling that there is a higher and greater being?

Nope.

What do I win?

A cookie, but you have the wait for about 5 more minutes
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts

I think more people need to look at that picture I posted.

Rikardur

I looked at it. Wasn't really comment worthy though.

DarkSmokeNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#161 DarkSmokeNinja
Member since 2008 • 3485 Posts
[QUOTE="tycoonmike"]

[QUOTE="DarkSmokeNinja"]

Okay, I have questions to ask you and any other Atheist on this thread.

1. How did you think the Earth and everthing else was made?

2. Where do you think you go when you die?

3. Do you ever get a strange feeling that there is a higher and greater being?

First of all, I am not an athiest. I believe in the theology of Abraham combined with the philosophy of Lao-Tsu.

As such, I will answer your questions:

1. I believe God created the heavens and the earth, but allowed life to spread instead of going poof and having all the animals appear at once. This is thiestic evolution.

2. I don't know. It is the job of the Almighty to judge me worthy or unworthy of moving on, so I cannot answer this question accurately.

3. Every moment of my life, yes.

um, okay, thats all I want to know
Rikardur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Rikardur
Member since 2008 • 9290 Posts

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

Crushmaster

If Jesus was God (which He was), it is not remotely irrational to say He was able to rise from the dead (which He did).

And Frodo managed to stop Sauron (who did exist) by tossing the one ring into Mt. Doom (which he did).

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Crushmaster

But whose criteria are the right ones? Yours? Mine? Martin Luther's? St. Paul's?

And don't go hiding behind others, I want to know what YOU believe. Is Jesus both flawed and not flawed?

tycoonmike

He was not flawed. He never sinned.

blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 blackregiment

i got a quick question, does it really matter whether you a catholic, christian, or lutheran? as far as im concerned, they all believe that jesus dies for our sins, all the christian religions worship the same thing.

Neo-ganon

One must place their total trust in the finished work of Christ on the cross for their salvation, not in man-made traditions of the Church which are works.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#165 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

[QUOTE="blackregiment"]

In order for one not to believe that Jesus is God, that He was raised from the dead, which therefore proves that God exists, they would have to deny the truth of the empty tomb and the Resurrection. In addition, they would have to deny the fulfillment of hundreds of prophecies in Christ. .

They would have to believe that the Apostles and early Christians made up the resurrection account. This would require a rational explanation for why the Apostles and early Christians would willingly endure persecution and death for something they knew was a lie? The Apostles and early Christians were stoned, beheaded, boiled in oil, imprisoned, crucified, scourged, fed to lions, clothed in animal skins and then torn apart by wild beasts, tarred and lit on fire, disemboweled, burnt at the stake, etc., rather than recant their faith.

A rational explanation would be required as to why the Jewish Priests and Roman authorities that wanted so much to stamp out early Christianity, as evidenced by their persecution of Christians, chose not to display Jesus' body to disprove the claims of the followers of Christ that he had arose from the dead.

A rational explanation would be required for the dramatic change in the Apostles' behavior. They scattered and even denied knowing Jesus when He was arrested. After His death, they were crushed, in hiding, their Messiah put to death like a common criminal. Suddenly, after Jesus appeared to them there was a dramatic change. They began to openly preach the Gospel in the Temple in Jerusalem, the very city where Jesus was crucified. The very city where there were living eyewitnesses to the events that would have refuted them if they were lying. They were told to stop but defied the authorities. The endured persecution and ultimately death rather than recant their faith because they believed they saw, touched, and fellowshipped with the resurrected Jesus.

Also needing rational explanation would be why the Apostles were bold enough to preach the resurrection in Jerusalem, the very city where Christ was crucified, to crowds that lived during those events and could have easily disputed the resurrection claims publicly. If they were spreading a lie, why did they not go to some remote area where there were no eyewitnesses to the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ that could disputed their claims if they were lying?

Finally, one would need to explain why the early Church grew so quickly in a pagan world, especially when it was under intense persecution. Even today, in countries like North Korea and China, where Christians are under the most intense persecution, the Church is growing faster than in areas with less persecution.

blackregiment

Jesus is God. You cannot compare the abilities of God to the abilities of humans.

And, to add on to that, to believe in the resurrection, you also have to belief in a supernatural being that has not been proven to exist, and for whose existence there is no evidence.

And you tell me that "the reasonable and rational belief is...Christianity"? :lol:

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#166 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

[QUOTE="Crushmaster"]

[QUOTE="swazidoughman"]

Anyone ever think that the fantastical events in the bible are metaphors or something like that ?

swazidoughman

No. I just know we have a mighty, wondrous, and awesome God.:)

You know?

please give me proof.

lol I was going to say the same thing. Looking how this planet is slowly drifting to destruction, I can't see how wondrous is that......

Scoob64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 Scoob64
Member since 2008 • 2635 Posts

[QUOTE="judog1"]That's pretty much the whole catholic religion right there.Crushmaster

No, it's not. Because Catholics are not Christians.

oh yeah, case in point: Mother Theresa... didn't do anything Christ said we should do... give me a break man... and to answer your questions yes, i do believe Jesus rose from the dead... I do believe catholics are Christians... the Bible says if you believe in Christ you are saved by FAITH- which a lot of catholics have.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#168 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts

[QUOTE="btaylor2404"]No I do not. I'm iffy on if Jesus Christ was a real person, though I tend to believe he was. Raising from the dead is a part I do not believe. If one looks into ancient Egyptian texts they will find a God, a 1000 years or so older than Jesus Christ, who was born a virgin birth, had many of the same life story lines, then rose from the dead, which was witnessed by his mother & another female follower. Food for thought.blackregiment

Please provide your source linking to the original religious texts with the details, not the fictional zeitgeist movie.

No Zeitgeist movie, never even heard of it. It's from a book, but I'll edit this link with a net reference later tonight, have to run for a bit. I was a bit shocked at how similar it was.
tycoonmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 tycoonmike

[QUOTE="tycoonmike"] But whose criteria are the right ones? Yours? Mine? Martin Luther's? St. Paul's?

Crushmaster

He was not flawed. He never sinned.

So then how could Jesus be both human and divine? To be human means to be flawed, thus sinful.

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 Crushmaster

And Frodo managed to stop Sauron (who did exist) by tossing the one ring into Mt. Doom (which he did).

Rikardur

Mount Doom and Frodo do not exist. They were invented in the mind of J.R.R. Tolkien.

Jesus Christ's existenceis confirmed in the Bible, and even in secular historian's writings. He existed, and over five hundred people saw Him after He was resurrected.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts

He didnot die, according to Islam.

MFaraz_Hayat
How is that even possible? he was crucified...Do you have proof that he didn't die?
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="Rikardur"]And Frodo managed to stop Sauron (who did exist) by tossing the one ring into Mt. Doom (which he did).

Crushmaster

Mount Doom and Frodo do not exist. They were invented in the mind of J.R.R. Tolkien.

Proof?

Ingenemployee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 Ingenemployee
Member since 2007 • 2307 Posts

[QUOTE="Rikardur"]And Frodo managed to stop Sauron (who did exist) by tossing the one ring into Mt. Doom (which he did).

Crushmaster

Jesus Christ's existenceis confirmed in the Bible, and even in secular historian's writings. He existed, and over five hundred people saw Him after He was resurrected.

and thousands of people see UFOs each year

Scoob64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 Scoob64

Crushmaster

the fact that you are a "conservative", think catholics aren't christian, and only quote from the KJVmeans yougotta be an independent baptist...

Euroshinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#175 Euroshinobi
Member since 2009 • 3299 Posts

To answer the topic, no i do not believe jesus christ rose from the dead, because as you get older its normal to stop believing myths, i thought i'd never be the same when it was broke down to me that santa didnt exist........on second thought i was a very rational kid, i liked the thought of santa but i never actualy believed em, i always knew it was my parents buying me the presents and putting quarters under my pillow and not the tooth fairy & santa

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="Crushmaster"]

Ingenemployee

UFO's are unidenfied flying objects so it's quite possible people see things in the sky they can't identify.;)

Power_47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 Power_47
Member since 2006 • 731 Posts

blackregiment

Even if these storys wernt exaggerated or completely fictional, Muslim martyers die everyday for their prophet and there is no difference what so ever, people die for what they believe in every day, it doesnt matter whether what they believe is true or not.

ganon92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 ganon92
Member since 2005 • 968 Posts
[QUOTE="MFaraz_Hayat"]

hydralisk86
How is that even possible? he was crucified...Do you have proof that he didn't die?

Muslims deny that Jesus was crucified in the first place (at least I think so). Rather, he just flew up into heaven and all that.
Scoob64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 Scoob64
[QUOTE="Power_47"]

[QUOTE="blackregiment"]

Even if these storys wernt exaggerated or completely fictional, Muslim martyers die everyday for their prophet and there is no difference what so ever, people die for what they believe in every day, it doesnt matter whether what they believe is true or not.

bit of a difference there buddy- the apostles were murdered for their faith - true martyers.... they didn't fly planes into buildings taking thousands of innocent people with them. ;)
vibrantdesign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 vibrantdesign
Member since 2008 • 530 Posts

Yes.

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 Crushmaster

So then how could Jesus be both human and divine? To be human means to be flawed, thus sinful. tycoonmike

Well, first let me say a few things:
Adam, the first man, was created sinless. He had to choose between doing good or evil. He chose to sin against God, and ate the fruit when Eve offered it to him. Christ, in contrast, was the last Adam. He chose to do only good, whereas, in contrast, the first Adam chose to do evil.

Christ was also sinless, though He could have chosen to do evil. Look:
(1 Corinthians 15:45-47)- "And so it is written, "The first man Adam became a living being." The last Adam became a life-giving spirit. {46} However, the spiritual is not first, but the natural, and afterward the spiritual. {47} The first man was of the earth, made of dust; the second Man is the Lord from heaven."
Also:
(Isaiah 7:14-15) "Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel. {15} "Curds and honey He shall eat, that He may know to refuse the evil and choose the good."

I am afraid this is going to have to do, as I have to go and eat supper. If you wish to know more, please look at the link from www.carm.org Igave you.
So, to all, good night, and God bless.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 hydralisk86
[QUOTE="hydralisk86"][QUOTE="MFaraz_Hayat"]

ganon92

Muslims deny that Jesus was crucified in the first place (at least I think so). Rather, he just flew up into heaven and all that.

I'm sorry man, but the Jews, who hated him, know about this. they will tell you that Jesus died. There were details, in the Bible which included how he was flogged, stuck through with a spear, etc. I'm not sure if this is true, but why would these writers of the New testament of the bible lie? They suffered til the end spreading the gospel for no financial gain or anything like that, and finally many were tortured, killed, flogged, in different ways. These men obviously saw Jesus, but after his death. They had to have had a reason to believe taht Jesus rose again. All of them.
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="Ingenemployee"]

[QUOTE="Crushmaster"]

LJS9502_basic

UFO's are unidenfied flying objects so it's quite possible people see things in the sky they can't identify.;)

Considering I think it's something like 30% of Americans believe that aliens have visited Earth, I think you could easily find 500 people who say they have been abducted by aliens.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="Ingenemployee"]

chessmaster1989

Considering I think it's something like 30% of Americans believe that aliens have visited Earth, I think you could easily find 500 people who say they have been abducted by aliens.

Ah but he said UFO and that is not necessarily alien related. It's a classification...

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 hydralisk86

I am afraid this is going to have to do, as I have to go and eat supper. If you wish to know more, please look at the link from www.carm.org Igave you.
So, to all, good night, and God bless.

I know that site. You have to be careful about reading stuff there, as I have heard some people have some weird beliefs that might make you think, "Oh my gosh, what is this..."

Famiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 Famiking
Member since 2009 • 4879 Posts
I don't believe he died in the first place.
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]UFO's are unidenfied flying objects so it's quite possible people see things in the sky they can't identify.;)

LJS9502_basic

Ah but he said UFO and that is not necessarily alien related. It's a classification...

I know. I was just trying to present a better example of what he was trying to point out ;).

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 hydralisk86
I don't believe he died in the first place.Famiking
I read a work of history that says that he did die. This was from a historian.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

chessmaster1989

I know. I was just trying to present a better example of what he was trying to point out ;).

Well then I guess the proof is up to you to prove those 500 people wrong then...;)

Scoob64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 Scoob64

woah- the 10 commandments just came on ABC as I was posting on this topic... heh

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Ah but he said UFO and that is not necessarily alien related. It's a classification...

LJS9502_basic

Well then I guess the proof is up to you to prove those 500 people wrong then...;)

Hmmmm... what?

Famiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 Famiking
Member since 2009 • 4879 Posts
[QUOTE="Famiking"]I don't believe he died in the first place.hydralisk86
I read a work of history that says that he did die. This was from a historian.

No - I meant I believed the Islamic interpretation of it :P
swazidoughman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#193 swazidoughman
Member since 2008 • 3520 Posts

Jesus was brought to earth by Emperor Palpatine via a UFO where he abducted 500 people.

Power_47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 Power_47
Member since 2006 • 731 Posts

[QUOTE="Power_47"]

[QUOTE="blackregiment"]

Scoob64

bit of a difference there buddy- the apostles were murdered for their faith - true martyers.... they didn't fly planes into buildings taking thousands of innocent people with them. ;)

Yeah but muslims didnt tie innocent women to poles and burn them alive in fear of them being witches either ;)

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"] I know. I was just trying to present a better example of what he was trying to point out ;).

chessmaster1989

Hmmmm... what?

Well you are so sure they can't be right that you must have the proof.

ganon92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 ganon92
Member since 2005 • 968 Posts
[QUOTE="ganon92"][QUOTE="hydralisk86"] How is that even possible? he was crucified...Do you have proof that he didn't die? hydralisk86

I'm sorry man, but the Jews, who hated him, know about this. they will tell you that Jesus died. There were details, in the Bible which included how he was flogged, stuck through with a spear, etc. I'm not sure if this is true, but why would these writers of the New testament of the bible lie? They suffered til the end spreading the gospel for no financial gain or anything like that, and finally many were tortured, killed, flogged, in different ways. These men obviously saw Jesus, but after his death. They had to have had a reason to believe taht Jesus rose again. All of them.

Don't shoot the messenger. I don't believe in any of this anyway. Why would the writers of the new testament of the Bible lie? I dunno. Perhaps they thought it would be funny to prank millions of people.
awesomeray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 awesomeray
Member since 2009 • 2880 Posts
i believe he died then rose again on the third day and acended into heaven
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#198 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
Nope I don't believe that Jesus resurrected from the dead.
Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#199 Lord_Omikron666
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

Nope, I don't believe in such things.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Well then I guess the proof is up to you to prove those 500 people wrong then...;)

LJS9502_basic

Hmmmm... what?

Well you are so sure they can't be right that you must have the proof.

Err...

...that's not what I'm saying :?.

I'm just trying to point out that there are other things that you can easily find 500 people claiming to believe/have seen that I doubt Crush/BR believe.