This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jigsaw9798

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 Jigsaw9798
Member since 2006 • 984 Posts

[QUOTE="re_up"]fetuses from abortion are eaten in China, which is why i hate China, among other thingsFunky_Llama

They can if they want. Disgusting, yes, but not immoral. It would be the abortion that would be immoral, I think.

I really doubt human fetuses are eaten, probably an urban legend. And I think to hate China as a society is pretty bad. You should say that you dislike their government and policies unless you are a racist(which is bad).

dnumba1man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 dnumba1man
Member since 2005 • 630 Posts
An abortion is never right or wrong. I have nothing against it but I simply cant see how ppl can support it, (raped or not) unless the woman's/babies health is in danger...no ones (not even a babies) life is worth more than another's. I believe that murder is never right or wrong and i dont know whether an abortion is murder or not but I do know that every sperm/egg combo is diff so thus who r stopping someone from existing and I cant see how ppl (who obviousely exist) can *support* it.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#153 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]

Heh... strange, I don't remember saying "does this look like a baby to you". Could you find where I said that?
I posted it to make clear that I was talking about very early age embryos, which from your continued use of the term 'baby' I assumed was a point you weren't grasping.

"Do you think this is the same as a living, breathing, conscious baby?"

Exactly. You were accusing me of distinguishing on the basis of looks. I wasn't referring to visualdifferences.

:lol: You really don't understand the principle of burden of proof, do you? I'm pretty sure the burden of proof wouldn't lead you to assume as your default position that something is wrong.

Yeah, I don't understand the burdon of proof. Nevermind that I use the burden of proof every week in an auditorium full of college students and professors.:roll: YOU are the one who doesn't understand the burden of proof.

Try actually counterarguing instead of boasting. ;)

1. Irrelevant.

:lol: No.

...Why? :|

2. :lol: So first you say that no one should decide whether they're human (omitting to say why, except for a vague reference to the Nazis or something), and then you characterise them as humans. Great job there.

All throughout history people have been defining other people as less than human. Sometimes it was the black people who were less than human. They were put into slavery. The Jews were defined as less than human by the Nazis. They were slaughtered. Non-Christians were defined as less than human by Crusaders in the middle ages. They were killed. I'm saying if it has the genetics of a human, the potential to be a human, and is a member of the human species, it should be considered a human regardless of its looks or birth status, and no other human has the right to redefine humanity.

:roll: What's your point? Everyone considers some things to be less than human. Plants, for example. We all draw the line somewhere.

3. Are you aware that this would mean that every individual cell in my body would have individual right to life?Every human cell has the genetic information of the human it belongs to.

:roll: None of your cells will grow off of you and become a human, unlike the embryo. Therefore, your cells are not the same thing.

I never said they were the same thing, and whether they are is irrelevant. What's relevant is whether the same principle applies, which it does.

Pfft. 'lone' does not mean 'lacking an egg'. It means 'on its own'.

Semantics.:roll: It still doesn't become a human, whether it's in a group of sperm cells or all by its lonely self.

I don't see what you're trying to say. You can't reasonably deny that a sperm cell can't become human, if that's what you're doing (there's my insurance against accusations of a straw man).

Theokhoth

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

:lol:

A parasite is an organism living in another organism OF A DIFFERENT SPECIES. A human embryo or fetus is metabolically dependant on the mother of the SAME species. There is nothing parasitic about it.:roll:

Mr. "Christians are trying to take over the world."Theokhoth

Biologically speaking, it is not a truly parasitic thing. Philosophically speaking, it sure can be considered as one.

Christians are trying to take over the world and make it so that everyone thinks in the same way that they do. It certainly is not a personal and quiet religion. If you can't see that right away, there's no point in me developping on that.

Also, you have conveniently skipped this:

"Explain why people have "the human right to life" and plants don't, and then see that your explanation does not actually grant that right to lumps of cells who happen to be genetically human. (Hint: the reason for the "human right to life" is not based on blind bias towards our own species.)"

That isn't surprising, though, as this paragraph asks you to actually clearly define the concepts that you're using instead of just yelling "IT'S HUMAN TO ME, DAMMIT, SO DON'T KILL IT!" ^_^

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 Funky_Llama

no ones (not even a babies) life is worth more than another's.dnumba1man

So you'd give your life for a cluster of unthinking, unconscious cells?

I believe that murder is never right or wrongdnumba1man

A moral nihilist, I assume? Haven't seen that in a while.

GeorgeTopouria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#156 GeorgeTopouria
Member since 2005 • 3988 Posts
Well, the unborn child is exclusively dependent on its mother to survive, so I believe it should be the mother's will to support it or abort it.
eggdog1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 eggdog1234
Member since 2007 • 831 Posts
I'll throw this out there in the form of questions to myself. What bussiness of mine is it, what someone else does to their body? None. To the TC if you want the "ladies" to have the kids, maybe you should raise them.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 Funky_Llama

What bussiness of mine is it, what someone else does to their body?eggdog1234

Pro-lifers would say that it's what they do to the foetus, not their own body. And I'm inclined to agree with them.

Xjner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 Xjner
Member since 2008 • 409 Posts

I say its up to the person i dont think people should be able to decide what they should do with it if they want to have it done by all means go ahead.

eloyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 eloyc
Member since 2003 • 1124 Posts
[QUOTE="eloyc"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]

[QUOTE="lettuceman44"]Yea, your so funny....Funky_Llama

I wasn't trying to be. It's a reductio ad absurdum.

Wow, Funky_Llama. This time you've gone too far, pal.

It's not the same a spermatozoid (just a living cell, nothing more) than a human life in formation.

Not for an early-stage embryo. A sperm cell is a potential human life, just as an embryo is.

A spermatozoid alone isn't a potential human life, it's just a cell. A zygote is a far step forward.

MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 MagnumPI
Member since 2002 • 9617 Posts
You just kick that stomach and ninja that baby out of there. Like it's your nemesis.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="eloyc"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]

[QUOTE="lettuceman44"]Yea, your so funny....eloyc

It's not the same a spermatozoid (just a living cell, nothing more) than a human life in formation.

Not for an early-stage embryo. A sperm cell is a potential human life, just as an embryo is.

A spermatozoid alone isn't a potential human life, it's just a cell. A zygote is a far step forward.

I'm aware it's a far step forward, but both sperm and zygote have the potential to become human life, so my point still stands.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

Exactly. You were accusing me of distinguishing on the basis of looks. I wasn't referring to visualdifferences.

More semantics!

The burden of proof rests on BOTH SIDES. In an official debate, the one who opens the debate goes first and has to hold his burden of proof. But when he's done, his opponent then has to hold it. It's not a "you have to prove everything while I sit back and deny it" situation like you apparently think it is.

Explain how it's irrelevant, then.

:roll: What's your point? Everyone considers some things to be less than human. Plants, for example. We all draw the line somewhere.

:| Did you even read my post? Particularly this part: If it has the genes of a human, the potential to be a human, and is a member of the human species. Do plants fall into that category?

3. Are you aware that this would mean that every individual cell in my body would have individual right to life?Every human cell has the genetic information of the human it belongs to.

:roll: None of your cells will grow off of you and become a human, unlike the embryo. Therefore, your cells are not the same thing.

I never said they were the same thing, and whether they are is irrelevant. What's relevant is whether the same principle applies, which it does.

:| Do you not see your argument here? "Okay, it applies in this case, but it doesn't in this absolutely irrelevant and different case, therefore it doesn't apply at all." That is wrong. It would apply if your cells had the potential to become a human, but since they don't, the principle does not apply to this case. It applies to embryos.

I don't see what you're trying to say. You can't reasonably deny that a sperm cell can't become human, if that's what you're doing (there's my insurance against accusations of a straw man).

You've been denying for about three pages now.:|

Funky_Llama
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Theokhoth
[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

:lol:

A parasite is an organism living in another organism OF A DIFFERENT SPECIES. A human embryo or fetus is metabolically dependant on the mother of the SAME species. There is nothing parasitic about it.:roll:

Mr. "Christians are trying to take over the world."ReddestSkies

Biologically speaking, it is not a truly parasitic thing. Philosophically speaking, it sure can be considered as one.

Philosophically speaking, abortion can sure be regarded as murder. See what I did there?

"Explain why people have "the human right to life" and plants don't, and then see that your explanation does not actually grant that right to lumps of cells who happen to be genetically human. (Hint: the reason for the "human right to life" is not based on blind bias towards our own species.)"

I already have, and I'm tired of repeating myself. If you want to look through the rest of the topic for my responses, be my guest.

eloyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 eloyc
Member since 2003 • 1124 Posts
I'm aware it's a far step forward, but both sperm and zygote have the potential to become human life, so my point still stands.Funky_Llama

But, man, a spermatozoid alone won't ever be a human life. A zygote will. :(

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Theokhoth

I'm aware it's a far step forward, but both sperm and zygote have the potential to become human life, so my point still stands.

Funky_Llama

A sperm DOES NOT have the potential to become a human! Don't you get it? When a sperm mixes with an egg it ceases to be a sperm! A sperm lives its life and dies in the testicles; nothing more, nothing less, UNLESS it mixes with an egg, in which case the sperm/egg become a human embryo, and thus is no longer a sperm, and thus sperm has no potential to be a human, thus your argument is invalid.

CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 CptJSparrow
Member since 2007 • 10898 Posts
So what is wrong about killing another born human again? --- OH, that is meant for your own security: you do not want it to happen to you. Tell me, would anyone prefer to not exist over existing? If the answer is yes, why would being aborted before you could perceive your existence change your answer? I am not saying that abortion is right or wrong, but calling it acceptable contradicts the very reason we consider killing born humans wrong.
Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Link256
Member since 2005 • 29195 Posts

The one thing I will say is the labeling, if only on face vaule, for this stuff is silly as hell. For example, the idea of "pro-choice," in contrast to "pro-life," automatically assumes that the entire idea of it is going against life. That is not necessarily the case. Some people who go under that particular label, believe it or not, do not believe we are talking about case of life.

In all honesty," what is the problem with "pro-abortion" and "anti-abortion"? Not only does it make more logicial sense, it is lot more self-explanatory, unlike the current labeling.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 Theokhoth

The one thing I will say is the labeling, if only on face vaule, for this stuff is silly as hell. For example, the idea of "pro-choice," in contrast to "pro-life," automatically assumes that the entire idea of it is going against life. That is not necessarily the case. Some people who go under that particular label, believe it or not, do not believe we are talking about case of life.

In all honesty," what is the problem with "pro-abortion" and "anti-abortion"? Not only does it make more logicial sense, it is lot more self-explanatory, unlike the current labeling.

Link256

On the flip side, "pro-choice" gives the impression that pro-lifers are against human rights. No, we're just against the choice of killing other people.

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 ReddestSkies

I already have, and I'm tired of repeating myself. If you want to look through the rest of the topic for my responses, be my guest.

Theokhoth

Actually you haven't. That's just another one of your tricks to divert from the fact that you just completely fail at defending your views. Step one: ignore the concept which puts a gigantic hole in your already terribly weak argumentation. Step two: say that you've already answered it, and that I should read the thread. Step three: you have to go, can't discuss anymore. ^_-

So, what's the "human right to life", and why do we have it while plants don't? (Hint: you can't just say "lol genetics!")

tofu-lion91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 tofu-lion91
Member since 2008 • 13496 Posts

Pretty much your opinion is that you're okay with murder if that person causes an inconvenience.SuperVegeta518

I wouldn't exactly call a fetus a person. And I wouldn't abort after a certain amount of weeks.

SuperVegeta518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 SuperVegeta518
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
[QUOTE="eloyc"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="eloyc"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]

[QUOTE="lettuceman44"]Yea, your so funny....Funky_Llama

Based on your logic any food has the potential to become a human. You're basically saying that all who are pro-life are anti eating, which we aren't.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 Theokhoth

Actually you haven't. That's just another one of your tricks to divert from the fact that you just completely fail at defending your views. Step one: ignore the concept which puts a gigantic hole in your already terribly weak argumentation. Step two: say that you've already answered it, and that I should read the thread. Step three: you have to go, can't discuss anymore. ^_-

So, what's the "human right to life", and why do we have it while plants don't? (Hint: you can't just say "lol genetics!")

ReddestSkies

:roll: Yes, I have. You and your conspiracy theories.

The human right to life is a fundamental, God-given right extended to all humans, and may not be denied by any other human. We have it because we are human. Plants don't have it because they are not human. In addition it is a part of the human right to life to extend that life by way of eating, and since humans are omnivorous, we eat plants.

Got it now? I'm not repeating myself again.

SuperVegeta518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 SuperVegeta518

[QUOTE="SuperVegeta518"]Pretty much your opinion is that you're okay with murder if that person causes an inconvenience.tofu-lion91

I wouldn't exactly call a fetus a person. And I wouldn't abort after a certain amount of weeks.

How is a fetus not a human being?
eggdog1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 eggdog1234
I love the way "pro-lifers" don't care about the "life" once its born. I also love when "pro-lifers" kill other people.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 Theokhoth

I love the way "pro-lifers" don't care about the "life" once its born. I also love when "pro-lifers" kill other people.eggdog1234

I love the way "pro-choicers" don't give a crap about the father's choice, the doctor's choice, or the baby's choice when it comes to abortion. I also love the way "pro-choicers" accuse pro-lifers of not caring about life after birth, and I especially love "pro-choicers" accusing pro-lfers of killing other people.:roll:

See? I can make up bullcrap too!

Oh, wait. . . .

SuperVegeta518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 SuperVegeta518
I love the way "pro-lifers" don't care about the "life" once its born. I also love when "pro-lifers" kill other people.eggdog1234
I'm a "pro-lifer" and I believe that taking the life of another human being is the worst act that a human is capable of doing. I also believe that we as humans have an obligation to take care of anyone in need as long as the person in need is willing. How is that not caring about life?
SuperVegeta518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 SuperVegeta518

[QUOTE="eggdog1234"]I love the way "pro-lifers" don't care about the "life" once its born. I also love when "pro-lifers" kill other people.Theokhoth

I love the way "pro-choicers" don't give a crap about the father's choice, the doctor's choice, or the baby's choice when it comes to abortion. I also love the way "pro-choicers" accuse pro-lifers of not caring about life after born, and I especially love "pro-choicers" accuse pro-lfers of killing other people.:roll:

See? I can make up bullcrap too!

Oh, wait. . . .

That's not bullcrap. That's mostly much true.
ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 ReddestSkies
[QUOTE="ReddestSkies"]

Theokhoth

:roll: Yes, I have. You and your conspiracy theories.

The human right to life is a fundamental, God-given right extended to all humans, and may not be denied by any other human. We have it because we are human. Plants don't have it because they are not human. In addition it is a part of the human right to life to extend that life by way of eating, and since humans are omnivorous, we eat plants.

Got it now? I'm not repeating myself again.

And now you can try that again, except that you should actually use some kind of reasoning this time around. I thought that I made it clear that I was asking for an actual explanation of why human beings are more deserving to live than plants, and not just random genetical prejudice. The right to life is not a magical fact that came down from the heavens; there actually is reasoning behind it.

An obvious example of why that definition is insanely bad (except for the fact that it uses "God-given", which implies that your god thinks that you're special while all of his other creations can drop dead for all he cares): if we encounter a sentient alien species, and it could be even more mentally and physically advanced than us, performing genocide on it for the sake of it would not be morally bad.

peeviness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 peeviness
Member since 2004 • 2023 Posts

If you don't use protection, i'm sorry, i don't care about your "rights".

Stumpt25

Stopped reading there.

I really don't care about when babies are alive or when they are dead, the mother should have the choice of when to get it out of her body.

moobusta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 moobusta
Member since 2003 • 417 Posts
It's Freedom of choice. Freedom to respect my choice, freedom to respect your choice. Why is everyone always concerned about what others are doing?
Cube_of_MooN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#183 Cube_of_MooN
Member since 2005 • 9286 Posts

Wait.... what? Way to generalize pro-lifers... :roll: I as a pro-lifer do care about the baby when it is born, and I have never killed another person.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 Theokhoth

And now you can try that again, except that you should actually use some kind of reasoning this time around. I thought that I made it clear that I was asking for an actual explanation of why human beings are more deserving to live than plants, and not just random genetical prejudice. The right to life is not a magical fact that came down from the heavens, there actually is reasoning behind it.

An obvious example of why that definition is insanely bad: if we encounter a sentient alien species, and it could be even more mentally and physically advanced than us, performing genocide on it for the sake of it would not be morally bad.

ReddestSkies

All right, then YOU tell me, what makes the right to life reasonable? If it's not because we are humans, then why do we have the right? Shall we abolish it because it's not reasonable?

tofu-lion91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 tofu-lion91
Member since 2008 • 13496 Posts
[QUOTE="tofu-lion91"]

[QUOTE="SuperVegeta518"]Pretty much your opinion is that you're okay with murder if that person causes an inconvenience.SuperVegeta518

Because it's a fetus :| It doesn't breathe or think. It isn't concious. Anyways I'm not saying killing babies is great or even right, I just stand for choice that's all.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="eloyc"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="eloyc"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]

[QUOTE="lettuceman44"]Yea, your so funny....SuperVegeta518

Based on your logic any food has the potential to become a human. You're basically saying that all who are pro-life are anti eating, which we aren't.

I was playing devil's advocate. My argument there was similar to yours - I was saying that sperm may as well be considered human life if an embryo is.

socked_feet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 socked_feet
Member since 2008 • 2290 Posts
Meh, I'm pro-choice.
xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts

Its amazing that people still have this discussion. A lot of you guys to have agree to disagree because all in all thats what it has to come down too. I do believe though that if a women decides to do this it should be up to her and no one else, especially not up for the court of public opinion. I don't believe it is anybodies right to tell what a women can and can't do with her body. I don't believe it should be used for an option of birth control, but should be an available option.

yrret876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 yrret876
Member since 2008 • 36 Posts
i think abortion is totaly up to the woman cause its her body and all........and the babys not realy alive yet so it doesnt seem like murder and wat if the woman doesnt want to go thourgh birth just to give the baby up so i think abortion is ok
xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 xscrapzx
[QUOTE="ReddestSkies"]

And now you can try that again, except that you should actually use some kind of reasoning this time around. I thought that I made it clear that I was asking for an actual explanation of why human beings are more deserving to live than plants, and not just random genetical prejudice. The right to life is not a magical fact that came down from the heavens, there actually is reasoning behind it.

An obvious example of why that definition is insanely bad: if we encounter a sentient alien species, and it could be even more mentally and physically advanced than us, performing genocide on it for the sake of it would not be morally bad.

Theokhoth

All right, then YOU tell me, what makes the right to life reasonable? If it's not because we are humans, then why do we have the right? Shall we abolish it because it's not reasonable?

The right to life or humans rights as you say are giving to humans because we can think and communicate. We can make logicial decsions on our own and we can live and prosper with society. A fetus on the other hand can't do neither, nor can it think or fend for itself. Its all based on the mother carrying it. If a cow starting talking to people and saying we don't want to be killed anymore for food, I'm sure many people would start wondering if they should have rights as well.

SuperVegeta518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 SuperVegeta518
[QUOTE="SuperVegeta518"][QUOTE="tofu-lion91"]

[QUOTE="SuperVegeta518"]Pretty much your opinion is that you're okay with murder if that person causes an inconvenience.tofu-lion91

Because it's a fetus :| It doesn't breathe or think. It isn't concious. Anyways I'm not saying killing babies is great or even right, I just stand for choice that's all.

There are people that can't breathe, and a fetus can move so how do you know that it can't thnk? How do you know that it isn't in some way conscience. No one can even be sure that they themselves or the world around them actually exists. Yet that doesn't make it right to kill another person.
ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 ReddestSkies
[QUOTE="ReddestSkies"]

Theokhoth

The right to life, if it is actually valid (because it might not be!), is based on the fact that we are concious, sentient and intelligent beings who actually understand the concepts of "future and past experiences". Unlike animals and plants, we are more than just biological robots acting entirely on instinct (or programming). This is why it would (in all likeliness) be wrong to perform genocide on an intelligent alien species, whereas it is fine to "kill" lumps of human cells.

SuperVegeta518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 SuperVegeta518

Its amazing that people still have this discussion. A lot of you guys to have agree to disagree because all in all thats what it has to come down too. I do believe though that if a women decides to do this it should be up to her and no one else, especially not up for the court of public opinion. I don't believe it is anybodies right to tell what a women can and can't do with her body. I don't believe it should be used for an option of birth control, but should be an available option.

xscrapzx
Yet you believe it is her right to decide what to do with someone else's body.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 Theokhoth
[

The right to life or humans rights as you say are giving to humans because we can think and communicate. We can make logicial decsions on our own and we can live and prosper with society. A fetus on the other hand can't do neither, nor can it think or fend for itself. Its all based on the mother carrying it. If a cow starting talking to people and saying we don't want to be killed anymore for food, I'm sure many people would start wondering if they should have rights as well.

xscrapzx

A baby under the age of two cannot communicate either, nor can it fend for itself. A comatose man or woman or child also fits that definition. There is more to the right to life than that.

omfg_its_dally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 omfg_its_dally
Member since 2006 • 8068 Posts
I think it is wrong in all cases. In a rape situation the mother should put the kid up for adoption and be paid compensation for child bearth by the rapist or state.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50676 Posts

xscrapzx

When a woman is pregnant, it is not just her body.

People stress the rights of a woman but don't care for the rights of the baby growing inside them.

xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 xscrapzx
[QUOTE="tofu-lion91"][QUOTE="SuperVegeta518"][QUOTE="tofu-lion91"]

[QUOTE="SuperVegeta518"]Pretty much your opinion is that you're okay with murder if that person causes an inconvenience.SuperVegeta518

There are people that can't breathe, and a fetus can move so how do you know that it can't thnk? How do you know that it isn't in some way conscience. No one can even be sure that they themselves or the world around them actually exists. Yet that doesn't make it right to kill another person.

I just took a look around and notice that I live on a planet and there are trees that I can touch, flowers I can smell.

xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 xscrapzx
[QUOTE="xscrapzx"]

Chutebox

People stress the rights of a woman but don't care for the rights of the baby growing inside them.

Ok until a fetus can talk through an ultrasound and express its feelings for life, I think that point is mute.

eggdog1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 eggdog1234
[QUOTE="xscrapzx"]

Chutebox

You don't have rights until you have a driver license.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]

More semantics!

:lol: Unless you are willing to claim that looking different and being fundamentally different are exactly the same thing, that is not semantics. Fail, yet again. :lol:

The burden of proof rests on BOTH SIDES. In an official debate, the one who opens the debate goes first and has to hold his burden of proof. But when he's done, his opponent then has to hold it. It's not a "you have to prove everything while I sit back and deny it" situation like you apparently think it is.

This isn't about the debate in general, it's about your claim that foetuses mustbe considered human lives with the right to life.

Explain how it's irrelevant, then.

Because the potential to become a baby doesn't mean that foetuses have the right to life.

:| Did you even read my post? Particularly this part: If it has the genes of a human, the potential to be a human, and is a member of the human species. Do plants fall into that category?

I wasn't even responding to that bit, and I already disproved rather pathetic genes argument.

3. Are you aware that this would mean that every individual cell in my body would have individual right to life? Every human cell has the genetic information of the human it belongs to.

:| Do you not see your argument here? "Okay, it applies in this case, but it doesn't in this absolutely irrelevant and different case, therefore it doesn't apply at all." That is wrong. It would apply if your cells had the potential to become a human, but since they don't, the principle does not apply to this case. It applies to embryos.

:roll: It's called reductio ad absurdum...
Why would it only apply in that case?

You've been denying for about three pages now.:|

Urk. I don't know why I wrote that. I intended to say that you can't reasonably deny that a sperm cell can become human.

Theokhoth