The DS Recommendation Thread---What Game Should I Get? 56K. v2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

clubhaxor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#51 clubhaxor
Member since 2005 • 2482 Posts

Hey guys! Once i get the money, I'm thinking about importing a game. is Starfy 4 easy to understand in Japanese? Not the story necessicarily, but I mean the controls and things like that. IS JSS/JUS good, even though you don't really like anime? Any help would be appreciated. Probably won'te be for a while, as a DSi is closer to the top of the priority list now!

Yep I imported that and the controls are very easy. As long as you know the symbols for yes and no in Japanese you will be fine. However there is a new English Legend of Stafi game I would just get that. JSS is supposed to be great but I imported it and had to sell it I couldn't navigate my way around and didn't understand the gameplay controls at all. There are guides online but I just didn't want to have to read a guide everytime I wanted to play :P

SiK99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -2

#52 SiK99
Member since 2008 • 1673 Posts

To all the people that want an RPG that has an excellent story, is loved by the so-called hardcore gamers, but is easy enough to get into by the more casual crowd.....get Chrono Trigger. It is even an excellent place to start if you are new to RPG games.

If you don't already own it and haven't ever played it then there isn't really a need to even ask the question "What RPG should I get between these: Chrono Trigger, misc game, misc game, misc game?" Buy Chrono and when you are done with it, THEN ask which RPG you should get next.

Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Burning-Sludge
Member since 2008 • 4068 Posts

Thank you meiaman for making a new recommedation thread.

I have just became interested in Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor. Should I buy it now or wait for the price to go down?

DGDG1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 DGDG1989
Member since 2009 • 344 Posts

Hey Im new and I have a DSi but I only have a few games. They are New Super Mario Bros., Mario Kart DS, Sonic Rush, Sonic Rush Adventure, and Bleach Dark Souls. I also had GTA Chinatown Wars and Zelda Phantom Hourglass but I got rid of them after I beaten them.

I want some new games that I can replay even after I beat them. I like action adventure, fighting, beat-em up/hack and slash, and some rpgs but ones that are fun. I also enjoy anime games but good ones.

Neon_Rain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Neon_Rain
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I think this is missing the original kirby (super star saga). Also the rest of the pokemon series (thought one is quite enough all of them would make this a complete reference). Cooking Mama 1 and 2 would be nice. And the new legendary starfy is actually kinda fun, its like kirby but with a mmorpg-quest-like system, super mario world map, and a few other features. Other from those oldies and that one newbie i think this recommendation guide is a bowl awsomeness (yes, awsomeness now comes in bowl form).

*sigh* I'm gonna get a DSi but there is no gba slot. I'm gonna be sad to see my DSL traded in for it (hopefully they still have that deal somewhere, it's like $80 off). I'm looking forward to some DSi only games, though i can't imagine how that is like (complete reliance on camera ...).

meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#57 meiaman
Member since 2006 • 3300 Posts
To Neon_Rain: I`m going to put Starfy as soon as the review is up. No plans for cooking mama unless there is popular demand for it. The original kirby is there, its called superstar ultra. to DGDG1989: Fighting you won`t find many good titles on the DS, hack-n-slash there is avalon code, but its sorta of love it or hate it. For rpgs you could try Chrono Trigger and "the world ends with you". And to everyone praising me: Thank you guys, but remember that most of these thanks also goes to the old creator (and currently, my assistant) Bio_Spark. XD
SiK99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 SiK99

I have just became interested in Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor. Should I buy it now or wait for the price to go down?

Burning-Sludge
Shin Megami is an excellent DS game and worth the "new" price. Its up to you if you want to wait but you know how Atlus is with their games. Some never even see a price drop before they vanish from shelves.
Neon_Rain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Neon_Rain
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Sorry, I meant kirby squeak squad. For some reason I was thinking about luigi and mario super star saga =P (iono know why i just was). But yeah original kirby was kinda fun, but the last boss was a b***h to beat.

Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Burning-Sludge

[QUOTE="Burning-Sludge"]

SiK99

Shin Megami is an excellent DS game and worth the "new" price. Its up to you if you want to wait but you know how Atlus is with their games. Some never even see a price drop before they vanish from shelves.

I got it this morning.

Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Burning-Sludge

Which one would you recommend me to get out of Rune Factory 2 and Chrono Trigger?

SiK99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 SiK99
RF2 is good but Chrono Trigger is a must have for anyone who has never played it. Also, its only $20 now for a new copy. :)
meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 meiaman
RF2 is good but Chrono Trigger is a must have for anyone who has never played it. Also, its only $20 now for a new copy. :)SiK99
I think sludge means that he/she wants something good to keep her away from RF2 or CT. But i can be wrong...
Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Burning-Sludge

[QUOTE="SiK99"]RF2 is good but Chrono Trigger is a must have for anyone who has never played it. Also, its only $20 now for a new copy. :)meiaman
I think sludge means that he/she wants something good to keep hIM away from RF2 or CT. But i can be wrong...

Close. Just weeding games out of my buyable game pool. I have the prequel to RF2 and a game that runs on active time like CT.

meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 meiaman

[QUOTE="meiaman"][QUOTE="SiK99"]RF2 is good but Chrono Trigger is a must have for anyone who has never played it. Also, its only $20 now for a new copy. :)Burning-Sludge

I think sludge means that he/she wants something good to keep hIM away from RF2 or CT. But i can be wrong...

Close. Just weding games out of my buyable game pool. I have the prequel to RF2 and a game that runs on active time like CT.

Ops, i forgot to add the him/her and wrote only her, lol. XD
elpooz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 elpooz
Member since 2005 • 5883 Posts

Mei, I strongly suggest that you add these to the DSiware section, as they are great fun:

• Mighty Flip Champs
  • Minis March Again (greatest use of a dl system ever... simply ever-lasting replay value)

Also, you should create a coming soon section for the DSiware as well (DQ Wars is the only notable up and coming game I can think of now though).

elpooz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 elpooz
Member since 2005 • 5883 Posts

Also, you should really just put all the Art Style games under the one you have up in the "also see" section or whatever it is called, as they are all basically the same with just a difference in theme.

meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 meiaman

I wrote your suggestion elpooz. I find it a good idea.

Luigi12901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#70 Luigi12901
Member since 2009 • 1243 Posts

Ok, this one only applies to DSi owners. Which of these two games should I get: Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again; or Asphalt 4: Elite Racing? I only have 1300 points, so I can only get one of the two. I would appreciate feedback from anyone who has played one or both of the games. Thanks!

AlmightyMax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#71 AlmightyMax
Member since 2007 • 1087 Posts

SMT Devil Survivor or Knights in the Nightmare?

Show your work!

HINT: TWEWY is my favorite DS game.

meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 meiaman

SMT Devil Survivor or Knights in the Nightmare?

Show your work!

HINT: TWEWY is my favorite DS game.

AlmightyMax
I say you should go with SMT: Devil Survivor. If compared, SMT is more similar to TWEWY than KitN
MrEco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 MrEco
Member since 2009 • 364 Posts
I think the only must-have game you're missing is The Dark Spire under the RPG's section.
scar-hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 scar-hawk
Member since 2008 • 5404 Posts
I think the only must-have game you're missing is The Dark Spire under the RPG's section.MrEco
Dark Spire is a pretty old school-type of game. It doesn't really appeal to many people. So I wouldn't classify it as a must have.
korino55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#76 korino55
Member since 2008 • 587 Posts

Ok, this one only applies to DSi owners. Which of these two games should I get: Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again; or Asphalt 4: Elite Racing? I only have 1300 points, so I can only get one of the two. I would appreciate feedback from anyone who has played one or both of the games. Thanks!

Luigi12901

Although I have yet to download any of these games, I can say that I've had a blast with Asphalt 3.

Luigi12901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Luigi12901

[QUOTE="Luigi12901"]

korino55

Although I have yet to download any of these games, I can say that I've had a blast with Asphalt 3.

Thanks for the info. I'm probably going to get Elite Racing.

Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Burning-Sludge

I decided against both Rune Factory 2 and Chrono Trigger. Should I get Meteos or Harvest Moon DS?

krisiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#79 krisiser
Member since 2009 • 59 Posts

gta china town is pretty good

TaMuK711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 TaMuK711
Member since 2009 • 3367 Posts

I was very hesitant to pick up GTA:CTW because I just didn't know how I would like GTA on a handheld.

I picked it up today, and have been playing for 6 hours straight. Go buy the game. Now. Thank yourself when you do.

Cosmotron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Cosmotron
Member since 2009 • 47 Posts
Pic Pic Now that is a great game. It's like Picross but better
PSP_DSL_ROX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#83 PSP_DSL_ROX
Member since 2007 • 512 Posts

Hi,

I have a couple of games I'm questioning and hoping I could get some help deciding. The games I'm interested in are:

Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. I hear a lot of mixed reviews on this one and wasn't sure about it. I've not played any other Zelda games, so I don't really know how they work, it looks like an interesting game, but I'm not too sure about it.

Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure: I love Sonic games and had all of them on GameGear. I'm planning to get the Sega Genessis collection on another system, but would like to get some new Sonic games as well, especially since the 3D games don't seem to do very well for Sonic. My question, looking at some videos the games looked kind of similar, is there enough difference between them to make it worth while to get both games?

Mega Man ZX: I have a couple of Mega Man games on my PSP, Mega Man Powered Up and Mega Man Maverick X and I really like these games, but I wasn't sure if this games as the other Mega Man games... Also, if I get this game and like it, do you recommend getting some of the other Mega Man games on DS?

Thanks so much!

PSP_DSL_ROX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 PSP_DSL_ROX

[QUOTE="PSP_DSL_ROX"]

Hi,

Bio_Spark

The Zelda games are basic dungeon crawlers and adventure games with really solid controls and gameplay. Everything just flows well, and they're very well-made. The touch controls in Phantom hourglass and some of the gameplay just didn't click with everyone (like me.)

SR and SRA are by far the best Sonic has been since the mid-'90s. Adventure has more levels and better level design, if you only want one, go with that.

ZX and ZX Advent are more similar to Maverick and they're pretty darn good. The Star Force games are RPGs and pretty darn mediocre.

Thanks so much, that answered all my questions. I think I will give Zelda a try, I'm planning to get Twilight Princess for Wii and I thought that Phantom Hourglass looked interesting as well. I will probably get both Sonics. I love sonic games and it will be nice to have the good old fashioned style of sonic instead of all the fancy stuff they've been doing more recently. I just wasn't sure if they were too similar. I'm going to pull out my Maverick Hunter game and give it another go, I liked Powered Up more than Maverick Hunter, but I think it was still a good game. I'd love to be able to get some Mega Man for DS too. Thanks again for your reply, it was most helpful!
LINKloco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 LINKloco
Member since 2004 • 14514 Posts
What's up everyone. Looking for easy and accessible quality games for my 4 year old(almost 5) nephew. He really likes playing NSMB and MKDS, but hasn't had something new in a while. Any good minigames, 2D platformers, racing games, or any other type of games you may know that may be good for him please let me know. A simple game like popping bubbles, but done well of course, would be fine. Maybe something made other than Nintendo would be good too. Just drop some names and I'll check them out. i appreciate any input. Thanks!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 862986
Member since 2005 • 35 Posts
Hi everyone. My birthday is in a week and I wanted to buy a DS game. Can you recommend any good ones? Here's what I have and/or already played: New Mario Bros Dragon Quest V FF4 Chrono Trigger Mario Kart Phoenix Wright All 3 Pokemons Picross Meteos Metroid Prime Dementium RE DS Prof. Layton Please do NOT recommend: The World Ends With You - Simply put, I hate this game to Heaven and Hell. Zelda games - I couldn't care less about Zelda Megaman games - same as above. Any great game would do. Thank you.
eightren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 eightren
Member since 2009 • 45 Posts
alright! thanx a lot for the compilation thread. It's awsome
PSP_DSL_ROX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 PSP_DSL_ROX
[QUOTE="862986"]Hi everyone. My birthday is in a week and I wanted to buy a DS game. Can you recommend any good ones? Here's what I have and/or already played: New Mario Bros Dragon Quest V FF4 Chrono Trigger Mario Kart Phoenix Wright All 3 Pokemons Picross Meteos Metroid Prime Dementium RE DS Prof. Layton Please do NOT recommend: The World Ends With You - Simply put, I hate this game to Heaven and Hell. Zelda games - I couldn't care less about Zelda Megaman games - same as above. Any great game would do. Thank you.

It really depends on the style of games you most enjoy. From your list, I personally would go with New Super Mario Bros or Mario Kart, for two reasons really. One, I'm a big Mario fan and always like the Mario games, but also because I've found these games to have a lot of play, especially Mario Kart. Super Mario Bros is not one of the longest games and if you are good it doesn't take too long at all, but you have the option of playing through the entire games with both Mario and then Luigi once you complete the game and going back through the game to collect all the star coins is another way to get more reply value out of it. There are also mini games in New Super Mario Bros, obviously not as good as the game itself, but I found them to be quite fun and a nice way to pass the time, and again, a great reason to go back to the game once you completed it. As for Mario Kart, I personally found the game to be a tad on the easy side and a little short (especially compared to Mario Kart Wii) but it is still a lot of fun and as with most racing games it is something you can pick up and always have fun with. If you don't have another racing game on the DS, I highly recommend it. Aside from those games I also have Dementium and Professor Layton. I personally don't care for Dementium and will probably trade it in, but if you like that style of gaming you may like it. Professor Layton was a lot of fun and had a lot of interesting puzzles and a fairly good story. The game lasts a good amount of time and my only complaint about this game is that some of the puzzles were a bit too challenging and I did have to look some of them up online, even after getting the clues. If you like puzzles and are up for a good challenge, I think you will find the game to be a lot of fun, the puzzles you can download each week also make it a nice value, with the new Professor Layton game coming out it might also give you an idea for another game. Hope this helps!
notyalemblem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 notyalemblem
Member since 2009 • 324 Posts

[QUOTE="862986"]Hi everyone. My birthday is in a week and I wanted to buy a DS game. Can you recommend any good ones? Here's what I have and/or already played: New Mario Bros Dragon Quest V FF4 Chrono Trigger Mario Kart Phoenix Wright All 3 Pokemons Picross Meteos Metroid Prime Dementium RE DS Prof. Layton Please do NOT recommend: The World Ends With You - Simply put, I hate this game to Heaven and Hell. Zelda games - I couldn't care less about Zelda Megaman games - same as above. Any great game would do. Thank you.PSP_DSL_ROX
It really depends on the style of games you most enjoy. From your list, I personally would go with New Super Mario Bros or Mario Kart, for two reasons really. One, I'm a big Mario fan and always like the Mario games, but also because I've found these games to have a lot of play, especially Mario Kart. Super Mario Bros is not one of the longest games and if you are good it doesn't take too long at all, but you have the option of playing through the entire games with both Mario and then Luigi once you complete the game and going back through the game to collect all the star coins is another way to get more reply value out of it. There are also mini games in New Super Mario Bros, obviously not as good as the game itself, but I found them to be quite fun and a nice way to pass the time, and again, a great reason to go back to the game once you completed it. As for Mario Kart, I personally found the game to be a tad on the easy side and a little short (especially compared to Mario Kart Wii) but it is still a lot of fun and as with most racing games it is something you can pick up and always have fun with. If you don't have another racing game on the DS, I highly recommend it. Aside from those games I also have Dementium and Professor Layton. I personally don't care for Dementium and will probably trade it in, but if you like that style of gaming you may like it. Professor Layton was a lot of fun and had a lot of interesting puzzles and a fairly good story. The game lasts a good amount of time and my only complaint about this game is that some of the puzzles were a bit too challenging and I did have to look some of them up online, even after getting the clues. If you like puzzles and are up for a good challenge, I think you will find the game to be a lot of fun, the puzzles you can download each week also make it a nice value, with the new Professor Layton game coming out it might also give you an idea for another game. Hope this helps!

The list that 862986 gave was of games that he or she already owns / has played....

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

What are the "must absolutely get or you're not a good DS owner" games,besides New Super Mario Bros? :P

Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Burning-Sludge

What are the "must absolutely get or you're not a good DS owner" games,besides New Super Mario Bros? :P

MonsieurX

the other ones are said to be Mario Kart and TWEWY.

Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Burning-Sludge

I want a harvest moon game but I am haveing a hard time decididing between Harvest Moon DS and Harvest Moon: Island of Happiness. Can someone recomend one over the other?

my words clearly weren't big enough

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]

Burning-Sludge

the other ones are said to be Mario Kart and TWEWY.

Never been that much into Mario Kart
PSP_DSL_ROX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 PSP_DSL_ROX

[QUOTE="PSP_DSL_ROX"][QUOTE="862986"]Hi everyone. My birthday is in a week and I wanted to buy a DS game. Can you recommend any good ones? Here's what I have and/or already played: New Mario Bros Dragon Quest V FF4 Chrono Trigger Mario Kart Phoenix Wright All 3 Pokemons Picross Meteos Metroid Prime Dementium RE DS Prof. Layton Please do NOT recommend: The World Ends With You - Simply put, I hate this game to Heaven and Hell. Zelda games - I couldn't care less about Zelda Megaman games - same as above. Any great game would do. Thank you.notyalemblem

The list that 862986 gave was of games that he or she already owns / has played....

Well, now I feel really stupid :oops: In that case a couple of games I have and really like are:

Docomodake! Boing: I found it to be a lot of fun and very addictive.

Yoshi's Island DS: If you like the series it is especially great, but I think it is a great platformer.

New Zealand Story Revolution: You may not be able to find it, but if you do, it is really inexpensive, so you may be able to get two games if you pick it up. I really liked the game and thought it was well worth playing.

Super Mario 64 DS: A great game, especially if you like Mario.

Games I've not played, but hear are good:

Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure

Sonic Rush/Sonic Rush Adventure

Drawn to Life

Grand Theft Auto China Town Wars

Then there are some good ones that are a little older and may be hard to find, such as:

DK Jungle Climber
Yoshi's Island Touch & Go
Kirby Canvas Curse
Super Princess Peach
Mario & Luigi Partners In Time
Mario Vs. Donkey Kong

And as I mentioned originally, a new Professor Layton is coming, so if you liked the first you may want to consider it, unless you don't want to wait.

Sorry about mis-reading your post, I misread your original post and thought those were the games you were deciding between.

Hope this helps and have a great Birthday!

krisiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 krisiser

i dont see what is so good about mario kart

krisiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 krisiser

oh and is the DSi good cuz i might get one?

meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 meiaman

I want a harvest moon game but I am haveing a hard time decididing between Harvest Moon DS and Harvest Moon: Island of Happiness. Can someone recomend one over the other?

Burning-Sludge

:lol: I heard harverst moon DS is full of bugs and glitches. I dunno about island of happiness, but if you want something in this genre, i guess rune factory is a better choice.

Luigi12901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Luigi12901

[QUOTE="Burning-Sludge"]

meiaman

:lol: I heard harverst moon DS is full of bugs and glitches. I dunno about island of happiness, but if you want something in this genre, i guess rune factory is a better choice.

I've heard that Island of Happiness is pretty good. I haven't played either of them, so I can't give you first-hand experience, but I'd go with Island of Happiness.