Opinions on the DSi?

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BigJ411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 BigJ411
Member since 2004 • 334 Posts

www.cerebronews.com

My honest opinion is that the upgrade they've done for the system this time around warrants a new purchase because now its something other then just being more aesthetically pleasing. The one thing I don't like is the exclusion of GBA games (although I rarely play em nowadays) but everything else is pretty sweet. What do you guys think? Is it worth purchasing as a standalone or getting as a trade in?

Arclight_Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Arclight_Blue
Member since 2008 • 2830 Posts
the no GBA port can be a pain..... since a good number of DS games use it for accessories(namely, Guitar Hero, Arkanoid etc.. etc...) but im curious to see on what type of games nintendo will make of the camera...
Flame_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Flame_Killa
Member since 2007 • 534 Posts
No GBA port, not thanks.
gillri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gillri
Member since 2004 • 5926 Posts

IM glad, without the GBA slot it allows for more functionality and the slimmer design

I still have my GBA SP for advance games

I always kinda wanted a DS my brother still has the original one so I just played that

Now with the second re-design im definitely gonna get one

PopeReal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PopeReal
Member since 2005 • 1303 Posts

I find it interesting that people are worried about it getting rid of the GBA slot in favor of the SD card which in my opinion is a much needed improvement. If you really need to play GBA games you can find a GBA really cheap or just hold onto your old DS. And yes a handful of games use the GBA slot but think of all the new possibilites that the SD card brings to the DS.

And the bigger screens are a huge deal for me personally. The cameras aren't a big deal unless they can find cool ways to use them in games.

DSi is what the DS lite should have been. Better late than never :)

SlorgieNel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 SlorgieNel
Member since 2005 • 1704 Posts

I don't understand why people consider the DSi an improvement.

For one, it has WORSE battery life than the DS. A lot worse. Everyone who picks on the PSP's battery life is in for a wake-up call: multimedia is not battery-friendly. I almost always use the highest brightness and I don't feel like trading in 5-8 hours of battery life for 3-4.

Not only that, but what other improvements are there? A camera that's 7.7 MP lower than the one I own? MP3 playback that will probably never compete with a PSP, let alone an iPod? And does the DSi even play VIDEOS?

The only thing I agree with is the SD card, but not at the cost of GBA slot. I'd much rather be able to play my old GBA games than re-purchase them and some other ones.

Andrn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Andrn
Member since 2008 • 2098 Posts

I'm honestly not even interested in it.

Why couldn't they do something useful and make an external hard drive for the Wii instead? That really seems to be the more important advancement (yes, something that could happen takes precedent over something that has happened).

PopeReal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PopeReal

For one, it has WORSE battery life than the DS. A lot worse. Everyone who picks on the PSP's battery life is in for a wake-up call: multimedia is not battery-friendly. I almost always use the highest brightness and I don't feel like trading in 5-8 hours of battery life for 3-4.

Not only that, but what other improvements are there? A camera that's 7.7 MP lower than the one I own? MP3 playback that will probably never compete with a PSP, let alone an iPod? And does the DSi even play VIDEOS?

The only thing I agree with is the SD card, but not at the cost of GBA slot. I'd much rather be able to play my old GBA games than re-purchase them and some other ones.

SlorgieNel

How are larger screens, improved wi-fi, and downloadable games not an improvement? The camera I agree is just an add on but maybe someone will figure out a cool way to use it in games.

EgyptRaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 EgyptRaider
Member since 2007 • 27 Posts

I think it's just an other stupid way to let them buy a whole new devices for a more than 100$.....

i dont have the many, I dont need the money

and if i had thwe money i would buy me a PSP......

PopeReal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PopeReal

I think it's just an other stupid way to let them buy a whole new devices for a more than 100$.....

EgyptRaider

Was there this much hate when DS lite came out? Its just another version of the DS, they are not reinventing the wheel. If you don't like it thats fine, but this isn't their next handheld, that is still 2-3 years away.

xlil-starx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 xlil-starx
Member since 2008 • 215 Posts

personally im not bothered about this DSi..none of the features like mp3 and camera are useful for me and i dont feel the need to upgrade at all..unless my current lite decides to die but if that happens i might get a PSP.

The should have made the dpad better and improve graphics...a waste IMO.

I_Helios_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 I_Helios_I
Member since 2007 • 1220 Posts
[QUOTE="EgyptRaider"]

PopeReal

Was there this much hate when DS lite came out? Its just another version of the DS, they are not reinventing the wheel. If you don't like it thats fine, but this isn't their next handheld, that is still 2-3 years away.

Yea I can't wait to see what their next handheld is capable of.

x_Martyr_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 x_Martyr_x
Member since 2008 • 839 Posts
its a great idea! bigger screens are perfect, plus getting rid of the useless gba slot for a sd slot is brilliant. im also looking forward to the web browser, downloadable content, and photo editing.
fantura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 fantura
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

yeah i don''t know what to think about the dsi.

I mean the things you can do extra i allready can do that on my mobile.

en the screen yeah i can live with the ds light and the screen a bit smaller.

what els is the difference between ds lite an dsi?

GIJames248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GIJames248
Member since 2006 • 2176 Posts
They should have held off and in a year or two released a full blown upgrade with better hardware and a revamped downloadable content marketplace that doesn't burn owners of the original DS.
Neroiam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Neroiam
Member since 2008 • 52 Posts
I love it. It has two cameras. One(inside, next to the mic) has 0.3M the other(outside, you can see it easily) has 3M. OMG? Also there is web browser inside, everything is just so cool
3571BC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 3571BC
Honestly, this really isn't an improvement over the already cheap DS Lite, just another money-making scheme.
gillri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gillri
Member since 2004 • 5926 Posts

lol I hate it when people try and convince themselves that an upgrade isnt an imporvement

It is an improvement that is a FACT, the question is, is it that much of an improvement to warrant an upgrade?

Since my brother has the original DS, hell yeah its worth it!

i mean im not gonna buy the DS lite over the DSi am I?

phatkav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 phatkav
Member since 2005 • 1357 Posts
It seems really great. However I probably won't get it as my DSL is already doing fine. Sure the camera features and playing music will be great, but I might as well just get a PSP if that's the whole point of getting DSi.
TacoJelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TacoJelly
Member since 2005 • 1723 Posts

I think I might get it.

I bought a DS at launch in 2004 (wow it's been a while) and it is officially dead after hundreds of hours of use, but there are still games coming out for DS that I want. To be quite honest, I haven't played any GBA games in a while and don't need to buy guitar hero or anything.

What excites me most is the Downloads. Especially if they made a portable VC; downloading old GB, GBC, and GBA games would sweet. And imagine if they released Mother 3 in the import section?

-Oath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 -Oath
Member since 2008 • 8014 Posts
Its great and Im importing.
TacoJelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TacoJelly
Member since 2005 • 1723 Posts

They should have held off and in a year or two released a full blown upgrade with better hardware and a revamped downloadable content marketplace that doesn't burn owners of the original DS.GIJames248

I agree, but i think this is a pretty good stop gap solution.

The DS is still moving hardware and software, they won't be moving on till that well is dry. Meanwhile this takes a little wind out of the sails of PSP and iPhone, since now the DS can go on the internet (effectively) and download games and play music.

Plus the DS shop will probably just continue onto the next DS 2 in 2010-11.

Lonnie2Hottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lonnie2Hottie
Member since 2005 • 933 Posts
The "improvements" don't do anything for me. I'm happy with my Lite.
xylophagous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 xylophagous
Member since 2008 • 295 Posts
I'm not particulary impressed by the DSi specs. In my opinion Nintendo should stick to making gaming devices. There's simply no need to add in cameras and music players. I'd imagine that most people have already have several other devices that can play music, video, take photos etc. Most mobile phones can already do most of these things quite well. And I imagine that it won't be that flexible or have a ton of features compared to other portable media players. Still,as long as it can play games that's all I'm worried about.
violentken88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 violentken88
Member since 2005 • 717 Posts

SlorgieNel

It is an improvement in some ways. Yeah the battery life slash sucks, oh yeah it's not MP3 playback it AAC format. What's wrong with putting a camera and music playback on it? Maybe I don't wanna carry a DS to play games and a Ipod to listen to music at the same time (like I have been doing). The SD card was a smart move too.Screens are bigger that's cool too. I don't mind not seeing a next generation handheld because the DS is dominating and still got some great games coming out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
deactivated-5c37d3adcd094

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
Member since 2006 • 8362 Posts

the no GBA port can be a pain..... since a good number of DS games use it for accessories(namely, Guitar Hero, Arkanoid etc.. etc...) but im curious to see on what type of games nintendo will make of the camera...Arclight_Blue

Maybe so, but a sequel to GH: OT is pretty much definately going to released, and they'll have to accomodate for the change.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

well my current DS is the old one. its really heavy and its not confortable to carry around.

if i see the opportunity (cant buy at my country, would be too expensive >_>), i'll buy one.

BigJ411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BigJ411
Member since 2004 • 334 Posts

I'm not particulary impressed by the DSi specs. In my opinion Nintendo should stick to making gaming devices. There's simply no need to add in cameras and music players. I'd imagine that most people have already have several other devices that can play music, video, take photos etc. Most mobile phones can already do most of these things quite well. And I imagine that it won't be that flexible or have a ton of features compared to other portable media players. Still,as long as it can play games that's all I'm worried about.xylophagous

Yea I agree with that. On top of that the camera is only .3 megapixels!! lol I read it wrong before thinking it was 3 WHOLE megapixels. Sigh......Wont be leaving my cybershot at home anytime soon.

PK-er1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PK-er1111
Member since 2005 • 609 Posts
If i come across an extra bunch of money, I might get it. It's not really important that I get it, but the lack of a GBA slot really makes me want to keep my old DS. I'd buy it, but not trade for it, essentially.
meltingcrayons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 meltingcrayons
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
I am really exicted for the dsi. I am really glad that it will finally have multi-media capabilities and an online store. An sd card is nice and the camera looks pretty cool. This will definately attract game developers with these new functions, which will result in creative new games.
Avatar image for ultimte3ricecrm
ultimte3ricecrm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ultimte3ricecrm
Member since 2008 • 388 Posts

I'm not very interested in the DSi. And besides, I just got a new DS Lite last Christmas. :D

And no GBA port? No thanks, Nintendo.

tomatoproject

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 tomatoproject
Member since 2008 • 139 Posts
I've had my ds lite for a long time and all these ''improvements'' are somewhat useless IMO.
Removing the gba slot? and replacing it with a sd slot...thats alright for poeple that do not use the gba slot.
also that camera they put in is pathetic. .3mp? most phones have over 2mp, and dont get me started with cameras.
finally the music playback? why not use your mp3 or ipod. I do think the design looks better tho. but its not enough to make me buy one. might as well get a psp.
I_Helios_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 I_Helios_I
Member since 2007 • 1220 Posts
Yea not having the GBA port does kind of kill it and the .3 Megapixel camera? Why not go at least 1 WHOLE megapixel lol, but this is a decent upgrade for now, like I said I can't wait to see what their next handheld is capable of.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

[QUOTE="xylophagous"]I'm not particulary impressed by the DSi specs. In my opinion Nintendo should stick to making gaming devices. There's simply no need to add in cameras and music players. I'd imagine that most people have already have several other devices that can play music, video, take photos etc. Most mobile phones can already do most of these things quite well. And I imagine that it won't be that flexible or have a ton of features compared to other portable media players. Still,as long as it can play games that's all I'm worried about.BigJ411

Yea I agree with that. On top of that the camera is only .3 megapixels!! lol I read it wrong before thinking it was 3 WHOLE megapixels. Sigh......Wont be leaving my cybershot at home anytime soon.

Actually the inner camera is 0.3MP, while the outer camera is 3MP. You still probably won't be leaving your cybershot at home though, as this would appear to be nothing more than a "camera-phone" type camera (and if you've ever shot with one of those, you'd know the quality rarely matches up to the real thing).

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#35 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
every time i get a DS, they come out with a new one!!! Ugh now i have to sell this one
zeldaluff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 zeldaluff
Member since 2008 • 3387 Posts

Nothing's really making me consider getting it. I have a camera and iPod, both smaller and easier to carry than a DS. I also have GBA games I like to play. Besides, I have to pay for it and I'd rather buy new games.

If ithe DS gets any thinner, it's going to be falling through cracks in the floor.

k3nne3e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 k3nne3e
Member since 2008 • 473 Posts
if it was thicker and had the gba port i would buy it but i already have a ds so i probably wont
Avatar image for Keviliciousness
Keviliciousness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Keviliciousness
Member since 2008 • 176 Posts

im interested in this.

because i know i wont be playing my ds for 3-5 hrs straight. i dont need the GBA slot because i dont play GBA games at all and i dont own those games that reqqire it like Guitar Hero.

i want a bigger screen ;] and that Downloading thing that everyone talks about.

yes i know the Camera and mp3 player isnt gonna be great but who cares the nintendo people might make great use of the camera , but not sure about the mp3 player because i alrdy own an ipod ( i know most of you people do too )

:)

podliver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 podliver
Member since 2007 • 1765 Posts

Ugh...basically it's just a PSP that folds up now...

but made by Nintendo :?

And considering the DSi will have worse battery life...hmmm yeah that's a big turnoff. I like the DS a lot for how long the battery lasts. And if I want to watch music or videos I can use my iPod for that.

agehaelhaym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 agehaelhaym
Member since 2007 • 123 Posts

And considering the DSi will have worse battery life...hmmm yeah that's a big turnoff. I like the DS a lot for how long the battery lasts. And if I want to watch music or videos I can use my iPod for that.

podliver

It's not. Anyway, Nintendo confirmed it has worse battery life?

jordis5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jordis5
Member since 2007 • 384 Posts
its going to be awsome
podliver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 podliver
Member since 2007 • 1765 Posts

[QUOTE="podliver"]

agehaelhaym

It's not. Anyway, Nintendo confirmed it has worse battery life?

Umm ok OBVIOUSLY it's not a PSP, but it has most of the stuff the PSP can do now. (playing music/videos, has a built-in web browser)

Ok ok I never said Nintendo confirmed worse battery life, but my guess is that with all the extra little add-ons they put in the DSi, it would affect the length of the battery life in some way or another. :roll:

Memoryitis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Memoryitis
Member since 2006 • 2221 Posts
I mean if you still have the old school ds, it would be a great idea to buy it,but the things I don like about the new DS is the camera and excluding the GBA slot, it just makes it less of a handheld game system
xraystar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 xraystar
Member since 2003 • 1150 Posts

I find it interesting that people are worried about it getting rid of the GBA slot in favor of the SD card which in my opinion is a much needed improvement. If you really need to play GBA games you can find a GBA really cheap or just hold onto your old DS. And yes a handful of games use the GBA slot but think of all the new possibilites that the SD card brings to the DS.

And the bigger screens are a huge deal for me personally. The cameras aren't a big deal unless they can find cool ways to use them in games.

DSi is what the DS lite should have been. Better late than never :)

PopeReal
my thoughts exactly.
wolfienigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 wolfienigma
Member since 2004 • 98 Posts

I doubt many old skool DS users would have not upgraded to a DS lite after all this time. Nintendo should not be wasting resources in such a minor upgrade that is totally useless, instead be focussing more on Next-Gen handhelds. This is a rare act of desperation by Nintendo.

pitchan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 pitchan
Member since 2007 • 26 Posts

Seriously, if u really do not like the idea of DSi and think a PSP is so much better, jus go and get the frikin PSP and stop b****in about how much the DSi sux! Oya i want to know, how does larger screens improve graphics/gameplayer other than being more easy on the eyes...?

pitchan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 pitchan
Member since 2007 • 26 Posts
I personally think that this could open up many new oppurtunities for the ds especially with the camera, i am quite sure that the music player and the camera were just add ons and that it loooks more sleek without the chunky gba port =)
golden-biscuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 golden-biscuit
The cameras is only 0.3 megapixels on the dsi many thougt it was 3 megapixles do ur research guys is onli 0.3 megapixles, how good the quality of picture and image will be, if is 3 megapixles then is a strong buying point but sadly is onli 0.3 megapixels not even 1 megapixels, and i am using a phone with 4 mehapixles. Come on Nintendo stop making all these minor upgrades instead focus on creating more nice games such as a new zelda for the ds , new pokemon game not a remake of diamond and pearl like the platinum, or instead start making a new nintendo handheld system, make this this next gen handheld system with nice graphics such as the psp but still keep the dual and touch screen, i dun reali think it is worth getting the dsi if u guys already have a nds lite, but it will be quesit a attarctive purchase for non nds user, i own both a a psp slim and a nds lite i have to say nintendo reali must make something with better graphics
Puddingchan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Puddingchan
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

The DSi doesn't really sound to be anything special from just the announcement alone. Besides, if there is no major improvement on the hardware specs, which is already not so great for 3d games for DSLite. Internet already sucks on the DSLite, I will be interested to see how good this is going to be though. The battery life being more limited is a disappointment. Even for the SD card and camera, there are a lot of tradeoffs and not enough improvements which is very sad.

I think the move on depending less on peripherals is actually a good one, they did specify that they don't want more peripherals to be added on to their systems (including the Wii). The peripherals don't really make a game so portable in some ways.

And once they have improved the specs, they should also just make dual touch screens, sometimes one isn't enough.

The cameras are rather unnecessary, and without a good hardware upgrade and great interconnectivity features it won't be anything impressive.

I'll really be happy if I can just flip up the DS and connect with friends online anywhere which has wi-fi, but from how it looks right now, I still don't think DSi will make the cut. They still need to do a lot more work on it to make this one impressive.

foreversai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 foreversai
Member since 2004 • 1801 Posts

How will current games look on the bigger screen? With the same resolution for older games, the graphics will just look worst on the new DSi.

And removal of the GBA slot is kinda dumb, as it totally removes games like Guitar Hero from the console! But well, perhaps the feature hasnt been utilized much enough and so they removed it, and added new features.

I'm not sure how much better the 0.3megapix camera will make the DSi, considering even my handphone has 2megapixels on it.