DS lite vs DSi vs DSi XL- Comparison thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Breakestra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#301 Breakestra
Member since 2005 • 26 Posts

There are times where I regret getting the DSi because there's a lot of GBA games I haven't finished or played yet (I own a GBA SP Front Lit so the brightness is eh) but the added DSi Camera (playing with the effects live) & the ability to "Play with your music" in DSi Sound has kept me very very entertained in the past while high as a kite, more than any DS or GBA game could.

I don't pay much attention to the DSiware games though

Breakestra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#303 Breakestra
Member since 2005 • 26 Posts
^ Which LE DS Lite are you looking at?
Itake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#304 Itake
Member since 2009 • 195 Posts

can the dsi connect to ds lites for wireless multiplayer?

wraith-squad66

Of course,on every DS,it works.

Mario2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#305 Mario2007
Member since 2005 • 2520 Posts
Is it worth it to upgrade from a regular DS to a DSi?
creepy_mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#306 creepy_mike
Member since 2007 • 1092 Posts

I just got my Lite a few weeks ago, opting for the GBA slot and extra battery life over the DSi's features, but now I'm regretting it. Not because of the current DSi, mind you, but because the XL is due sometime in the next few months, and is pretty much a mandatory purchase for me, thus putting me out $120.

I'll most likely never end up getting any GBA games, considering they're mostly just kinda samey sequels or slightly gimped ports of older stuff, and my backlog is already hideous enough that I don't really have time to catch up on previous gens anymore. The XL's features are now looking far more appetizing: muchlarger screens and better viewing angle (so other people can finally see the action), improved battery life, comfortably huge pen-like stylus, louder and better sound, in-game main menu accessibility, and probably tons of exclusive games on the horizon. I still don't care about the cameras, music or web browser, but the rest is more than enough to warrant the upgrade.

So my advice to ALL current and prospective DS owners (who don't mind ditching the GBA slot) is: do get the DSi, but for the love of god, waitjust a little longer for the XL! And if you still want a Lite by then, well, that can be arranged. ;)

legaleyesit420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#307 legaleyesit420
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
who needs a useless camera when you can play gba games on the dsl
gacs_25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#308 gacs_25
Member since 2006 • 505 Posts

I'll most likely never end up getting any GBA games, considering they're mostly just kinda samey sequels or slightly gimped ports of older stuff, and my backlog is already hideous enough that I don't really have time to catch up on previous gens anymore. The XL's features are now looking far more appetizing: muchlarger screens and better viewing angle (so other people can finally see the action), improved battery life, comfortably huge pen-like stylus, louder and better sound, in-game main menu accessibility, and probably tons of exclusive games on the horizon. I still don't care about the cameras, music or web browser, but the rest is more than enough to warrant the upgrade.creepy_mike

i.e. pretty much the same thing as the DSi except for an improved battery which is thwarted by the unportability of the console. I suppose the appropriate name would be a home handheld.

Yah, it is the newest product, but it's out there to appeal to a different type of market, which means that people don't have to automatically get it. Think of it as different flavors of lollipops.

MrBowser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#309 MrBowser

I love my DSi, but can't wait for the DSi XL. ;)

Obiwan456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#310 Obiwan456
Member since 2009 • 123 Posts
When the DSi came out, what I had was an original DS with a broken hinge, no stylus, and speakers that were going out, so for me, it was a definate yes. Though really I started out anting a lite, but it was actually my dad who talked me into going the extra money for the newest one. I stood outside Game Stop at midnight so I could get it, and boy was I happy with out. I had no idea where wi-fi was, so I wasn't able to use the shop till sometime in July when I was on vacation and saw the motel had wifi. I got the free 1000 points, and realized what I was missing out on. When we got home I bought a 2000 point card, though I didn't use it for months because I couldn't find wi-fi at home, but when I finally did, it was great. I dont think I gonna try to get the XL, becasue it seems a little bit of a waste. My DSi is perfectly good, and I have no need to fork out extra money for a oen and bigger screens.
MysticWynter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#312 MysticWynter
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I'll still be using my 7 year old Bulky DS.
Avatar image for Soulreavercross
Soulreavercross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#313 Soulreavercross
Member since 2003 • 19890 Posts
I'll still be using my 7 year old Bulky DS.MysticWynter
The original DS was released in November 2004 which would make it just over 5 years :?
DropTarget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#314 DropTarget
Member since 2009 • 375 Posts

[QUOTE="MysticWynter"]I'll still be using my 7 year old Bulky DS.Soulreavercross
The original DS was released in November 2004 which would make it just over 5 years :?

You forgot to account for the 2 year timeshift caused by the greatness of the DS. ;)

darkman006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#315 darkman006
Member since 2009 • 933 Posts
The reason I'm not buying a DSi is because it can't play GBA games. I use my DS lite to play both DS and GBA games. So unless they make another DSi that has the GBA slot I'm in no rush to buy one.
demonictruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#316 demonictruth
ya the dsi is cool and all but is it really worth it to buy a whole new system?
Big_Evil666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#317 Big_Evil666
Member since 2004 • 13817 Posts
ya the dsi is cool and all but is it really worth it to buy a whole new system?demonictruth
i'd say not unless i don't already own a DS Lite or DSi. i own a DS Lite and still don't plan to upgrade to DSi or to DSi Xl unless the later comes in Black
Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#318 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
I'm thinking of getting a DSi again but I think I'll wait until the DSi XL comes out. I'm liking the big screens, louder sounds and longer battery life but not liking the blocky graphics and huge size. So I'm still not sure but I'm more likely to get the XL :P I'm curious to know though, how many of you Lite owners will get a DSi XL? How many of you DSi owners will upgrade to XL? And how many of you DSi owners use your DS as your MP3 player?
Isredel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#319 Isredel
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Wow, really in depth comparison of the two, good job. And I will stick with my lite. Not having a gba slot pretty much ruins the DSi for me, not to mention you need the GBA slots for the fourth generation pokemon games for migration.
Big_Evil666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#320 Big_Evil666
Member since 2004 • 13817 Posts
I'm thinking of getting a DSi again but I think I'll wait until the DSi XL comes out. I'm liking the big screens, louder sounds and longer battery life but not liking the blocky graphics and huge size. So I'm still not sure but I'm more likely to get the XL :P I'm curious to know though, how many of you Lite owners will get a DSi XL? How many of you DSi owners will upgrade to XL? And how many of you DSi owners use your DS as your MP3 player?Kenny789
i'll be keeping my DS Lite. there's just no reason to upgrade to the DSi XL
Avatar image for deactivated-5c59fdd7b3aa7
deactivated-5c59fdd7b3aa7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#321 deactivated-5c59fdd7b3aa7
Member since 2009 • 9489 Posts
I own a lite, and I'm definately upgrading to a DSi XL.
jordonj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#322 jordonj
Member since 2010 • 1069 Posts
My DS lite ran into trouble a little less than a year ago, so I got a DSi...a decision I regret a little since I can no longer play Final Fantasy VI. But I've been happy with it overall, though Nintendo needs to get their DSiWare up to the caliber of what the PSP has to offer online. Hey Nintendo, let's get FFVI up ASAP!
Limp_Laky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#323 Limp_Laky
Member since 2003 • 505 Posts

my friend is going to get a DS just for pokemon, we werent sure if the whole DSI only thing could affect him now that the 5th generation of pokemon was announced last week, could anyone lemme know if nintendo has made a statement on DSi exclusives? cause it just seems like a distant idea right now.

evilross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#324 evilross
Member since 2003 • 2076 Posts

When the DSi came out, what I had was an original DS with a broken hinge, no stylus, and speakers that were going out, so for me, it was a definate yes. Though really I started out anting a lite, but it was actually my dad who talked me into going the extra money for the newest one. I stood outside Game Stop at midnight so I could get it, and boy was I happy with out. I had no idea where wi-fi was, so I wasn't able to use the shop till sometime in July when I was on vacation and saw the motel had wifi. I got the free 1000 points, and realized what I was missing out on. When we got home I bought a 2000 point card, though I didn't use it for months because I couldn't find wi-fi at home, but when I finally did, it was great. I dont think I gonna try to get the XL, becasue it seems a little bit of a waste. My DSi is perfectly good, and I have no need to fork out extra money for a oen and bigger screens.Obiwan456

I just bought a DSi for my wife.... what free 1000 points do you speak of?

Avatar image for Soulreavercross
Soulreavercross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#325 Soulreavercross
Member since 2003 • 19890 Posts
I just bought a DSi for my wife.... what free 1000 points do you speak of?evilross
That was a limited time offer and ended in October of last year I believe. When you bought a new DSi system and activated the Wifi, you got 1000 dsi points.
HUCKLEBERRY7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#326 HUCKLEBERRY7
Member since 2008 • 116 Posts

So my DS lite is getting ready to die. The top screen (for some reason) now only works about 50% of the time (the rest of the time it's just a white screen). My DS isn't in warranty anymore (I have one from right after they launched the lite). Should I get another lite, the DSi, or wait for the XL. It should be noted that I have a GBA SP in great working condition that I normally use instead of the gameboy slot on the DS, so the GBA slot isn't important.

ContraQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#327 ContraQueen
Member since 2009 • 2460 Posts

I'm considering getting a DSi but my DS lite works fine.... Maybe I'll wait for the XL.

evilross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#329 evilross
Member since 2003 • 2076 Posts

[QUOTE="evilross"]I just bought a DSi for my wife.... what free 1000 points do you speak of?Soulreavercross
That was a limited time offer and ended in October of last year I believe. When you bought a new DSi system and activated the Wifi, you got 1000 dsi points.

Ah, ok... thank you very much.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#330 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

Well my DSL broke so now I'm stuck with a half-assed DSPhate that has the upper screen scratched to hell and back.

Time to buy a DSi XL me thinks.

Avatar image for XxshadowgamerxX
XxshadowgamerxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#331 XxshadowgamerxX
Member since 2010 • 95 Posts
I think that Dsi and Dsi xl is just a waste of money buy a damn camera im happy with my ds lite so think the dsi is just a waste of money
BigFH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#333 BigFH
Member since 2009 • 36 Posts

how is the wifi on a dslite?

I am thinking about getting a ds and it is either going to be a ds lite or a dsi.

I am not going to use the camera and other appendages on the dsi, if I buy one.

But I hear that the Dsi has the better wifi and internet connection.

I don't plan on going on the internet with either system.

But I plan on trading pokemon with people over wifi.

Now, does the lite have problems with wifi? I heard it only works with certain connections.

ErgoZelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#334 ErgoZelda
Member since 2010 • 43 Posts

I have a DSi, and will keep it . But I will get the DSi XL on launch day.;)

cttooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#335 cttooch
Member since 2010 • 152 Posts

i also have a dsi but I am going back and forth on if I should get the XL. I think it is just the urge to get a new toy and getting caught up in all the talk. do i really need 2 ds systems?

RPG-explorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#336 RPG-explorer
Member since 2010 • 349 Posts
As i posted in system wars, i recently pre-ordered my DSi-XL, because to me it's perfect, being a 41 year old man who still loves gaming both console and portable. I've just always had problems with the previous portable small sizes, they were always a little uncomfortable and after an hour or more of playing the cramps would start and i'd have to put it down for a while. I always hoped that a larger adult size model might be made so it would be easier to hold for long periods of time and easier on aging eyes with it's larger screens. No one is happier and more anxious than me that the DSi-XL is here and on it's way March 28th, and with a pen size stylus. Thank you so much Nintendo.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#337 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Does the announcement of the 3DS make the DSLite the best choice? DSlite is cheaper and the 3DS isn't going to render it useless, because of the gba slot. I want to say people should get the DSLite while they still can.

zachaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#338 zachaw
The Dsi, in my opinion, is better because of it's differant funtions. The 3 main problems are: 1.the music will only play aac files. 2.The battery life is slightly lower. 3.There is no gameboy slot. Other than the price it is just better in general.
SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#339 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

Does the announcement of the 3DS make the DSLite the best choice? DSlite is cheaper and the 3DS isn't going to render it useless, because of the gba slot. I want to say people should get the DSLite while they still can.

Heirren

I know this might seems obvious, but it really seems like the best move is to wait this one out. Rumors from GS are that the 3DS could launch as early as late this year - granted, this is probably only in Japan. Nintendo will probably space out the Western launch 'till March so that the XL's out on the market for a year.

If someone waited this long without buying a DS, then they could always wait a year longer. And if someone is still using their first-gen DS, or DS Lite, they need only put up with it for another year. If someone wants to play Gameboy Advance games, there are GBAs on sale for $20 or less online, and those can play original Gameboy and Gameboy Color games (if someone's really nostalgic...)

Also, it's worth mentioning that we never really got a price cut on the DS. Just the opposite, the price actually went up over time. I think that places more value in a 3DS purchase- whatever price it's announced at, that's probably the price it will stay at the whole next generation, so why not pick one up Day 1?

yani37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#340 yani37
Member since 2010 • 26 Posts
[QUOTE="RPG-explorer"]As i posted in system wars, i recently pre-ordered my DSi-XL, because to me it's perfect, being a 41 year old man who still loves gaming both console and portable. I've just always had problems with the previous portable small sizes, they were always a little uncomfortable and after an hour or more of playing the cramps would start and i'd have to put it down for a while. I always hoped that a larger adult size model might be made so it would be easier to hold for long periods of time and easier on aging eyes with it's larger screens. No one is happier and more anxious than me that the DSi-XL is here and on it's way March 28th, and with a pen size stylus. Thank you so much Nintendo.

Same here, my eyesight is not the best and I didn't upgrade to the DS for that reason. Larger screen size is a pro for me. Is the first time I'm excited about a portable video game :) I preorder mine.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#341 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

SakusEnvoy

I know this might seems obvious, but it really seems like the best move is to wait this one out. Rumors from GS are that the 3DS could launch as early as late this year - granted, this is probably only in Japan. Nintendo will probably space out the Western launch 'till March so that the XL's out on the market for a year.

If someone waited this long without buying a DS, then they could always wait a year longer. And if someone is still using their first-gen DS, or DS Lite, they need only put up with it for another year. If someone wants to play Gameboy Advance games, there are GBAs on sale for $20 or less online, and those can play original Gameboy and Gameboy Color games (if someone's really nostalgic...)

Also, it's worth mentioning that we never really got a price cut on the DS. Just the opposite, the price actually went up over time. I think that places more value in a 3DS purchase- whatever price it's announced at, that's probably the price it will stay at the whole next generation, so why not pick one up Day 1?

I still think the lite is teh way to go. I find the gba games more enjoyable on the light due to the superior screen. Imo, 20 bucks is 20 bucks. If someone is that pressed for cash, then fine, but 20 dollars really is just a weekend at the movies--I don't look at that as a system purchase. Also, if you get the lite, you'll beable to play all the popular multi player ds games, so it isn't really a waste. I like the idea that i'll have two systems where if someone wanted to jump in on some mario kart, they could.

As for picking it up on day one, I will, but only if the design of the unit doesn't look like its in for a redesign from the get go--like the original BIG ds. The only reason I didn't buy that thing was because of its size. Bought the lite on day one though.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#342 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
Hmm I'm going to have to seriously think about what I'm going to buy now. I lost my DSi a year ago and was planning to buy the DSi XL but this announcement has got me thinking otherwise. It's only a year to go before the new one is out and I don't want to waste too much money. Should I keep using my sister's pink Lite? Or get a DS of my own?
Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#343 Conjuration
Member since 2006 • 3562 Posts

I want to get a DSi XL but i'm worried they'll have a DSi XL 2 in 6 months. :p

Avatar image for Valkyriareaper1
Valkyriareaper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#344 Valkyriareaper1
Member since 2009 • 526 Posts

I think the DSi is superior. For good reason, my DS Lite broke, the DSi has more stuff you can do (fun stuff of course), not to mention it has cameras for some ok photos, plus its portable (the DSi XL is a PSP-3000 or 1000). Nuff said. :)

panja12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#345 panja12
Member since 2009 • 226 Posts

[QUOTE="tekky14"]

woooaah, what's with the arguing?

the DSi is already out and selling great, and I welcome other's opinions, but if you don't like it, just don't buy it :roll:

Anyway,
I've had DSLs in the past ,and both had their hinges broken, the last one about a month before the DSi came out. Everything it includes is great, as I own a GBA SP, I need a new DS, and the fact that it's got camera functions and works as a music player is only more satisfying.

However, all I need to do is lok at the price tag to say no. In Canada (that's the country north of the US), the DSLs are selling for $139.99. Fair enough.
The DSis however, are selling at a whooping $199.99. Now, add around 15% tax, that's $230. Add a game, and it goes up to $270.

For those of you who haven't pieced the puzzle, that means that for me to buy a DSi and a game would surpass the price of a home console, and that is just one thing I can't buy into. If there was any way to lower the cost, I would try it, but seeing as I currently have no games to trade in, I am a console gamer only for the time being.

Yoweeh

Zoom down to the states, man. Or get one off ebay; there are tons priced at $170 with free shipping.

dell has the white and pink dsi priced at only $139.99

coolkid227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#346 coolkid227
Ds Lite and the Dsi XL both have a glossy top. This is a total smudge attracter. The Dsi and the Dsi XL both have two cameras and most of the Dsi XL is exactly like the Dsi. Like the starting menu all going horizontally. Same the goes for the DSi and DSi XL's dsi shop. The DSi and the Ds lite both weigh the same, 210 grams. Also they come with pictochat and DS download play pre installed. Here are some pics in the links. http://blog.mlive.com/manzero/2008/10/large_20081002-nintendo-dsi-dslite-comparison.jpg http://www.dsixl.co.uk/images/hardware/dsi-xl-compared-to-dsi.jpg http://www.videogamesblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/dsxl-to-dslite-comparison-photo.jpg http://bigmacky.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/dsi_xl_sized.jpg
Pumpkinhead3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#347 Pumpkinhead3
Member since 2007 • 342 Posts

ok, I've had a phat and a ds lite, butt i hated the ds lite's soft, weak-feeling d pad and buttons. Does the the dsi use the same type d-pad. i know this sounds petty, but i hated the d-pad feeling like it was going to break whenever powersliding in mario kart. This alone makes me prefer the original phatty. someone please help me out.

Avatar image for Lebowski__basic
Lebowski__basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#348 Lebowski__basic
Member since 2003 • 1252 Posts
Anyone know what firmware the DSi XL comes out of the box with?
jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#349 jedinat
Member since 2003 • 3560 Posts
Anyone know what firmware the DSi XL comes out of the box with? Lebowski__basic
1.4U. Same as the current DSi firmware.
LoveTelephone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#350 LoveTelephone
Member since 2009 • 66 Posts

All I can say is that the DSi XL COMPLETELY OWNS. It currently destroys all competition and has breathed much needed life into my entire DS collection. And when the 3DS comes out, I'll probably get that too... Can't miss out on Black/White.