DS lite vs DSi vs DSi XL- Comparison thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Soulreavercross
Soulreavercross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 0

#1 Soulreavercross
Member since 2003 • 19890 Posts

This thread is for all of you who want to know about the DSi and if you should upgrade to the new model over your DS lite. Obviously if you own the original DS model, the DSi is a huge improvement.

One of the huge flaw with the DSi is that you cannot play GBA games because there is no GBA slot. There are however a lot of new additions to the DSi over the DS lite including an online dsi store and an SD card slot. Below contains some information to help you decide if it's worth upgrading to a DSi or not

Screen Size
DSi: 3.25 inch
DS Lite: 3.0 inch

Screen
Both TFT LCD with 260,000 colors

System Size
DSi: 137 x 74.9 x 18.9mm
DS Lite: 133 x 73.9 x 21.5mm

Touch pen
DSi: 92mm length
DS Lite: 87.5mm length

Power source
DSi: DSi AC adapter and special battery pack
DS Lite: DS Lite AC adapter and special battery pack

Weight
DSi: 214g (battery pack and touch pen included)
DS Lite: 218g (battery pack, touch pen, GBA connector cover included)

Charge time
DSi: 2 hours 30 minutes
DS Lite: 3 hours

Battery life

** listed by screen brightness, lowest to highest

DSi: 9-14 hours, 8-12, 6-9, 4-6, 3-4
DS Lite: 15-19 hours, 10-15, 7-11, 5-8

Compatible software
DSi: DS software, DSi software
DS Lite: Game Boy Advance software, DS software

Input method
DSi: DS card slot, SD memory card slot, AC adapter connector, stereo head phone/mic connector
DSLite: DS card slot, GBA card slot, AC adapter connector, stereo head phone/mic connector

In addition to the physical changes, Nintendo has updated the system's interface menu to reflect some newly included software. You'll initially be able to access the following programs from the main menu: DSi Camera, DSi Sound, DSi Shop, Picto Chat, and download play. The menu also has icons for starting up a game off cartridge and accessing system settings.

The DSi's menu is akin to the Wii Channel interface in that new programs can be downloaded and added to the interface. It's unclear how many programs can be downloaded, but the interface does provide an "all view" button allowing you to view all included software at a glance.

Select DSi Camera from the menu, and you'll quickly transform your system into a digital camera. Pics that you've taken can be transferred via SD card to your PC and cell phone. You can also send snaps between two DSi systems wirelessly.

In typical Nintendo fashion, the camera will include some game elements. Among the fun features are a facial blending tool, a method for changing facial expressions, and a means of measuring similarity between two faces. The camera itself can be set to take pics in a variety of modes, including normal mode, "trick" mode, and frame mode.

Select the DSi Sound option from the menu, and you'll have yourself a mini music player, complete with a variety of visualizers and audio tools. The system can remove vocals, allowing you to sing along for yourself. Nintendo also appears to have included a built in Band Bros. of sorts, as you can tap buttons along with the rhythm in order to overlay sounds. You can also record 10 second audio samples through the system's microphone for use in your music sessions.

Unfortunately, those looking for MP3 support here are out of luck. The DSi Sound program will only support AAC format.

Finally, there's the DSi Shop, a program that serves as the DS version of the Wii Shopping Channel. You'll be able to download free and paid programs from this under the "Nintendo DSiWare" label. Two free programs have been mentioned by Nintendo, an internet browser and a digital notebook that lets you create moving comics. - Info. Source

DSi-only cards and DSi enhanced cards coming.

Seems Nintendo will be making two kinds of new cards:

DSi-only cards: Cards that are exclusive for the DSi and benefit from the extra horse-power, bigger screens and camera.

DSi-enhanced cards: Cards that play on the DS lite and phat, but will have gameplay enhancements and new features when played on a DSi.

Info. Source - Thanks to meiaman for supplying this information

ds1

ds2

ds3

ds4

ds5

ds6

ds7

Thanks to meiaman for providing this information: below are some new DSi designs that will hit Japan soon and eventually the US

ds

The DSi XL is basically a larger version of the DSi. Below are the specs

Display

• Screen size: 4.2 inches
  • Screen resolution: 256 x 192
  • Screen type: LCD (Color, Backlit)
  • Touchscreen: Resistive [stylus]
  • Secondary display: Yes
  • Screen size: 4.2 inches
  • Screen resolution: 256 x 192
  • Screen type: LCD (Color, Backlit)

Controls / accessories

• Direction control: D-pad
  • Camera: Internal (0.3 megapixels)
  • Other peripherals: Headset / mic

Additional specs Sound

• Speakers: Stereo
  • Audio jack: 3.5mm

Media playback

• Photo viewer: Yes
  • Audio playback: Yes

Networking / online service

• WiFi: 802.11 b, g
  • WiFi encryption: WEP, WPA, WPA2
  • Online features: Multiplayer, Voice chat, Store, Browser
  • Downloadable content: Games, Game updates

Storage

• Internal storage: Yes
  • Memory card support: Yes
  • Memory card support: SD (SDHC)

Size and weight

• Dimensions: 21.2 mm (h)
    161 mm (w)
    91.4 mm (d)
  • Weight: 314 g

Below is the size comparison between the DSi and DSi XL

xl

Nanu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 Nanu-
Member since 2008 • 873 Posts
Has nintendo alredy gave a solution for Guitar Hero games for the DSi?
Redonkulous_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Redonkulous_D
Member since 2008 • 1018 Posts

Not to my knowledge.

EDIT: YES!!! IDK what it is though. I only know that the new GH games will be DSi exclusives.

meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 meiaman
Member since 2006 • 3300 Posts

Great measure, this will let people talk freely about the DSi while keeping out the spam "why should i get a dsi" topics that people loves to keep posting just because they ignore the stickies.

And will lesser the anger of the people toward Soul, so i hope they don`t plan to kill soul anymore. :P

wraith-squad66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 wraith-squad66
Member since 2008 • 1368 Posts

can the dsi connect to ds lites for wireless multiplayer?

KurodaMurasaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KurodaMurasaki
Member since 2008 • 1670 Posts

can the dsi connect to ds lites for wireless multiplayer?

wraith-squad66

Yes, even the old DS.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

The DSi doesn't have GameBoy Advance Backwards Compatibility!

The Trade off for DSiWare vs. GBA Backwards compatibility doesn't seem worth it yet.

I don't know if DSiWare will ever have enough great games for me to give up my DSLite completely...darn it!

This is a cool thread though, nice Pics! :)

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

I had forgotten what a beast the original DS was.

0oJazZMano0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 0oJazZMano0
Member since 2008 • 117 Posts

Thanks for the info. I might just have to get one 8)

korino55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 korino55
Member since 2008 • 587 Posts

The DSi doesn't have GameBoy Advance Backwards Compatibility!

The Trade off for DSiWare vs. GBA Backwards compatibility doesn't seem worth it yet.

I don't know if DSiWare will ever have enough great games for me to give up my DSLite completely...darn it!

This is a cool thread though, nice Pics! :)

SolidTy

The DSi ware didn't interest me too much until I saw what it can do. The shop will supply a steady flow of games for extremely reasonable prices. All you really need to do is see if they're worth buying, which you can do on your DSi using the free down-loadable browser. Add all that to the other information and the DSi appears more reasonable. Also, a Game Boy Advance doesn't cost much these days. In my opinion, the shop will be great.

If you really want to see all of my thoughts about the i, you can read my impressions in my blog here.

MorganMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MorganMonster
Member since 2009 • 132 Posts

I think they're both awesome. :0

awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

DSi pwns. Review in my sig.

This thread was really needed.

D-Norris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 D-Norris
Member since 2007 • 256 Posts

will the dsi exclusive games be downloadable or on a AAC slot card thing? Any news on when new colors are coming out? And What all can the AAC slot do?

Avatar image for freakbabyblues-
freakbabyblues-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 freakbabyblues-
Member since 2009 • 665 Posts

will the dsi exclusive games be downloadable or on a AAC slot card thing? Any news on when new colors are coming out? And What all can the AAC slot do?

D-Norris
??? Uh, some will be on DS Game Cards and some wil be downloadable through the DSi Shop. P.S. There's the DS Card slot and the SD Card slot. lol AAC is an audio format.
GamingMind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 GamingMind
Member since 2008 • 264 Posts

cool i didnt know it could connect to old ds's

GEO750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GEO750
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
every1 who has used a ds lite then used a dsi knows that it has more new stuff than just a camera. you'll hear about new features on this thread, but DONT assume that it's too similar. you only need to see the menu screen to see differences.
GEO750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GEO750

DSi pwns. Review in my sig.

This thread was really needed.

awssk8er716
i agree wiv this guy
GamingMind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 GamingMind
Member since 2008 • 264 Posts

^^ well hey maybe some people cant afford a digital camera so they will like the dsi and it can play music that rocks (even tho i have a digital cam. and ipod lol) i got the dsi im happy with it

king23_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#22 king23_
Member since 2007 • 18169 Posts
Great comparison. I don't see a big reason to upgrade though.
Junior_AIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 132

User Lists: 1

#23 Junior_AIN
Member since 2007 • 4703 Posts
A necessary thread, and I won't be upgrading, only if something happens to my DS Lite, especially without the GBA slot. The rest of features, so far, can be obtainable with other kinds of devices.
mardigan71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mardigan71
Member since 2004 • 239 Posts

Here's a comparison that wasn't made: The DS Lite plays all DS games. The DSi apparently does not. My DSi played 6 of the 7 games I already owned. Then I purchased another game from Amazon and I received it in the mail yesterday. My DSi didn't play that game either. I got a message that said "An error has occurred. Please turn your system off...". I'm not the only one getting these error messages. There are posts on the Nintendo Support forum from others with the same problem. I returned my DSi for a refund this morning. I'll just stick with my DS Lite. At least it plays every game I purchase.

That's a shame, though because I liked the upgraded features of the DSi. I was really looking forward to using it.

kirbyfalco55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kirbyfalco55
Member since 2008 • 214 Posts

Does anyone know if you will be able to store video to the SD card?

007hawk25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 007hawk25
Member since 2008 • 2093 Posts

How are they going to make guitar hero on tour modern hits work with the DSi? :?

enemylines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 enemylines
Member since 2008 • 196 Posts

I own an original DS andi was wondering if i should just get a lite or if i should shell out the extra cash for a DSi.

freakbabyblues-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 freakbabyblues-
[QUOTE="mardigan71"]

Here's a comparison that wasn't made: The DS Lite plays all DS games. The DSi apparently does not. My DSi played 6 of the 7 games I already owned. Then I purchased another game from Amazon and I received it in the mail yesterday. My DSi didn't play that game either. I got a message that said "An error has occurred. Please turn your system off...". I'm not the only one getting these error messages. There are posts on the Nintendo Support forum from others with the same problem. I returned my DSi for a refund this morning. I'll just stick with my DS Lite. At least it plays every game I purchase.

That's a shame, though because I liked the upgraded features of the DSi. I was really looking forward to using it.

What games were you playing? When reporting a problem, you should give all important information, or else your post is pointless.
Xyphon101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Xyphon101
Member since 2009 • 455 Posts
Let's look at the feature updates between versions. DS -> DS Lite: Brighter Screen, thinner DS Lite -> DSi: Better mic, webcam interior, webcam exterior, shop, DSi exclusives (IE: Wario ware snapped), Internet, soon to be flipbook channel (not in us yet), sound recorder Almost everyone I know who has a phat upgraded to the DS lite.. Yet tons of people are complaining about spending the 180 it costs to upgrade to Dsi? Come on. 180 isnt a lot for those features, but I can see where you're coming from if you already own a DS lite. But if you upgraded once, and your backup argument is features arent worth crap, that's nothing. I am 13, and I don't have tons of money, but I know once I got enough, I bought this wonderful system. I can't say I got what I payed for (extra features), but if I didnt own a DS, it would be way more than what I payed for. Though, I bought it at EB games and got 80 dollars off by trading in my lite and some crappy club penguin game, but still, it's "worth" 180, especially if you dont already own a DS. Bumming over 180 is pointless, it's extremely easy to make 180 dollars back. Unless you have a crappy job and/or allowance/ways to make money in general, then I feel for you.
KurodaMurasaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 KurodaMurasaki

Does anyone know if you will be able to store video to the SD card?

kirbyfalco55
Not at the moment, but Nintendo said that they are looking into video support for the Wii. People would be able to get videos on their Wii then transfer to their DSi. They're just looking into it, though.

How are they going to make guitar hero on tour modern hits work with the DSi? :?

007hawk25
They're not. In the future they might make some crappy peripheral extending out the DS card or something, but I don't suggest them touching the DSi.
Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

mardigan71

i think you're lieing

DSi plays all DS game cards coz it has the same game card slot, so if you got it on this DSi somehow you'd get the same error on A Lite

or else you weren't thinking and didn't realise it was just the game, that the game was messed up

why would you return it if you're looking forward to it if you could easily exchange it at the retailer for another one, or get nintendo to fix it for free, or get the game fixed? i'm not sure you're telling the truth

mardigan71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mardigan71
Member since 2004 • 239 Posts

@freakbabyblues- & @darth-pyschosis:

The first game I tried on the DSi that didn't work was Final Fantasy Tactics A2. I didn't think much of it since I've played pretty far into the game and figured it wasn't much of a loss if I didn't get to play it again. Then I ordered four more games from Amazon this week. Last night I received the first of those four games, it was Tetris DS. It didn't play in the DSi. Both FFTA2 & Tetris DS play fine in my old DS Lite. Every other game I own plays just fine in both the DSi & DS Lite.

My nephew bought a DSi today. I took my games to his house and we tested them out. The exact same thing happened to him. All other games played fine in his DSi except the two I had trouble with.

All you need to do is a Google search on "tetris ds dsi" (without the quotes) and you'll see a whole host of posts regarding people having the same issues. There is some speculation that the games that don't work on the DSi could possibly be bootleg copies. I haven't ruled that possibility out since I buy used games off of Amazon all the time. If they are bootleg copies, then they're pretty freaking good because they look identical to regular DS carts with all the serial numbers, stickers, logos, etc. I can't see that there's anything physical amiss about them.

@darth-pyschosis:

I have no desire to play the "return it for a replacement over and over again" game. Plus I have no desire to send my brand new DSi to Nintendo for a few weeks only to have them tell me they don't know what the problem is. I can't return the games because they're old and you can't simply return software for a replacement once it's past a certain point (plus I bought most of them used) and especially since they all work flawlessly on a DS Lite. Whether you think I'm telling the truth is irrelevant. I am not trying to dissuade people from buying a DSi, just trying to put the word out there. I actually encouraged my nephew to buy one, but warned him to keep his box and receipt in case he experienced anything like I did and wanted to get a refund.

People are even posting about this on the official Nintendo support forums. Nintendo's official stance on this as of now is to send the unit in so they can look at it. Again, I'm not sending in a brand new system. Shouldn't have to. I don't really need the DSi, just thought I'd upgrade, so going back to my DS Lite is no biggie.

Links to stuff elsewhere on the web regarding this:

http://boards.ign.com/nintendo_ds_lobby/b7594/178943501/p1/?4

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220942

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090405181953AA2UFqX

atlanta_guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 atlanta_guy
Member since 2009 • 363 Posts

Let's look at the feature updates between versions. DS -> DS Lite: Brighter Screen, thinner DS Lite -> DSi: Better mic, webcam interior, webcam exterior, shop, DSi exclusives (IE: Wario ware snapped), Internet, soon to be flipbook channel (not in us yet), sound recorder Almost everyone I know who has a phat upgraded to the DS lite.. Yet tons of people are complaining about spending the 180 it costs to upgrade to Dsi? Come on. 180 isnt a lot for those features, but I can see where you're coming from if you already own a DS lite. But if you upgraded once, and your backup argument is features arent worth crap, that's nothing. I am 13, and I don't have tons of money, but I know once I got enough, I bought this wonderful system. I can't say I got what I payed for (extra features), but if I didnt own a DS, it would be way more than what I payed for. Though, I bought it at EB games and got 80 dollars off by trading in my lite and some crappy club penguin game, but still, it's "worth" 180, especially if you dont already own a DS. Bumming over 180 is pointless, it's extremely easy to make 180 dollars back. Unless you have a crappy job and/or allowance/ways to make money in general, then I feel for you.Xyphon101

Good point young man. I purchased the DSi and I absolutly love it. I traded in my DS Lite at Gamestop for $70 and put the store credit towards my DSi. All of us who own a DSi are proud and are amazed by its upgrade features. Those who don't own one either are jealous of us who do or just like to complain.

superjoegoal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 superjoegoal
Member since 2007 • 118 Posts

the ds lite is the best

SiK99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#35 SiK99
Member since 2008 • 1673 Posts

mardigan71
Can you post some pictures of the game cartridges? I just tested my copy of Tetris DS and FF Tactics A2 and both worked for me. If you post clear, close-up pics of your game cases & carts we might be able to tell you if they are bootlegs or not by comparison.
meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#36 meiaman
Member since 2006 • 3300 Posts
[QUOTE="mardigan71"]

SiK99
Can you post some pictures of the game cartridges? I just tested my copy of Tetris DS and FF Tactics A2 and both worked for me. If you post clear, close-up pics of your game cases & carts we might be able to tell you if they are bootlegs or not by comparison.

If that`s the case, then peharps the DSi is more strickly with bootlegged copies. But we still need to see if they are bootleg or not of if his DSi is a defective. For me, i will skip buying a DSi this year, i`m having some issues with money. Unfortunately.
awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 awssk8er716

Let's look at the feature updates between versions.

DS -> DS Lite: Brighter Screen, thinner

DS Lite -> DSi: Better mic, webcam interior, webcam exterior, shop, DSi exclusives (IE: Wario ware snapped), Internet, soon to be flipbook channel (not in us yet), sound recorder

Almost everyone I know who has a phat upgraded to the DS lite.. Yet tons of people are complaining about spending the 180 it costs to upgrade to Dsi? Xyphon101

^This.^ Btw, it is $169 not $180.

Solar_Arc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Solar_Arc
The old DS may have been huge but hey its was durable baby :P
Zeybrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Zeybrin
Member since 2005 • 126 Posts
The old DS may have been huge but hey its was durable baby :PSolar_Arc
The DS Phat wasn't/isn't durable. . . Are you smoking something? Its hinges were the pinnacle of suck technology. . . Sure the DS lite's cracked at the drop of a hat. . . but at least the entire upper half was secured on. . .
awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 awssk8er716

Anyone like the DS Lite volume switch more?
I thought the DSi one would be way better, but it really isn't.

There were more volume levels on the DS Lite, and you could see what the volume was set as while it was off. (If you wanted to turn your DS on in school and it had to be quiet or something, you could move the switch down before turning it on).

Anyone else feel the same?

KurodaMurasaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 KurodaMurasaki

[QUOTE="Solar_Arc"]The old DS may have been huge but hey its was durable baby :PZeybrin
The DS Phat wasn't/isn't durable. . . Are you smoking something? Its hinges were the pinnacle of suck technology. . . Sure the DS lite's cracked at the drop of a hat. . . but at least the entire upper half was secured on. . .

Well it's probably a tie. The hinge on the DS phat had metal in it so it was much heavier. That could add the protection and take some away.

There were more volume levels on the DS Lite, and you could see what the volume was set as while it was off. (If you wanted to turn your DS on in school and it had to be quiet or something, you could move the switch down before turning it on).

awssk8er716

Yeah I'm kind of mixed. My volume switch is pretty hard to press and there's not much feedback. I also don't like counting to figure out how loud it is. There are actually 7 volume levels. If you went to the menu and muted it, you can count each time the volume goes up. Nintendo really needs to add a volume counter on screen like the PSP. To get around the volume problem you can turn it on, close it then turn the volume down. I've tried it, it actually works. It would make more sense if they had a mute button. Though you can control brightness with it, so it's overall better to me.

freakbabyblues-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 freakbabyblues-

awssk8er716
When turning on the system, you have some time to turn the volume down before the start-up tone plays. I'm fine with it.
Andrn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 Andrn
Member since 2008 • 2098 Posts
Can the DSi hook up to a WPA-encrypted network, even outside of the browser? In example, the Lite could only go for a WEP network. Can the DSi now perform all Wi-Fi features such as Pokemon Wi-Fi?
ashcatash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#44 ashcatash

Are they going to make future games exclusively for the DSi? I don't want to shell out that kind of money if they are going to keep making DS Lite games. A camera and some new graphics just aren't worth the 160 bucks.

KurodaMurasaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 KurodaMurasaki

Are they going to make future games exclusively for the DSi? I don't want to shell out that kind of money if they are going to keep making DS Lite games. A camera and some new graphics just aren't worth the 160 bucks.

ashcatash

They will continue to make DS games and make DSi-exclusive games also. People say the DSi is not as a big upgrade as the DS - DS Lite. Now that I look at it, that's not true. The DSi has a new interface, slight physical differences, new features, download store, and exclusive games. The new games and downloadable store makes it almost a new platform; albeit not revolutionary.

timeroks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 timeroks
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I personally think the DSi is **** If I want a crappy VGA Camera, I by a $60 phone, not a DS!!!!!! The iPod runs rings around the DSi's music. I already own a phone and an iPod, so there is no use to buy one of those things

KurodaMurasaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 KurodaMurasaki

I personally think the DSi is **** If I want a crappy VGA Camera, I by a $60 phone, not a DS!!!!!! The iPod runs rings around the DSi's music. I already own a phone and an iPod, so there is no use to buy one of those things

timeroks

Just get it for the gaming then. That's what most people got it for. Anybody who buys it for multimedia will be severely disappointed. I'm sure Nintendo had slight knowledge of that. Besides Nintendo never said it was a camera phone or an iPod. In an interview they said they weren't competing, it's just for fun.

Avatar image for Elefairpaclowin
Elefairpaclowin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Elefairpaclowin
Member since 2006 • 39 Posts

Possibly picking up a DSi tomorrow afternoon but first I have a few questions to see if I'm making to right choice. First of all, I am aware of a bunch of features that are new to the DSi but some of them don't really appeal to me. While I don't care for the sound tweaking feature, I still think it's nice that you can put songs on an SD card to listen to on the DSi (and the fact that you have to convert MP3s to AAC doesn't bother me at all). I've heard that the 2 cameras are a gimmick but I don't care much for them either, nor the photoshop tool. I pretty much see the cameras as an interesting feature for upcoming games where you can apply your face to characters. I also don't mind the lack of the GBA slot.What mainly stands out to me about the DSi is the improved RAM, DSi shop, and possibility of future games based on the 2.What I'm wondering though is if the DSi shop will really take off and in time offer a wide variety of downloadable games. Now on to some questions.

Will I be able to place downloaded games on the SD card or are they restricted to staying on the system?

Do you think there will be downloadable content for previously released games that can be stored on the SD card?

Can I listen to music on the DSi while playing games?

Do you think an upgraded version of the DSi is already in the works or will be coming out in the near future?

I had some other questions comparing the DSi and the DS Lite, but I am tired and I can't remember. These are the main ones though and the rest had something to due with price difference.

KurodaMurasaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 KurodaMurasaki

Will I be able to place downloaded games on the SD card or are they restricted to staying on the system? - They go on both

Do you think there will be downloadable content for previously released games that can be stored on the SD card? - Probably

Can I listen to music on the DSi while playing games? - No, music is it's own application

Do you think an upgraded version of the DSi is already in the works or will be coming out in the near future? - It's probably in the works but won't come out for at least 2 years. DS took about 2 years for the DS Lite, and the same goes for the DSi conversion.

I had some other questions comparing the DSi and the DS Lite, but I am tired and I can't remember. These are the main ones though and the rest had something to due with price difference.

Avatar image for Elefairpaclowin
Elefairpaclowin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Elefairpaclowin
Member since 2006 • 39 Posts

Thank you very much, I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. Also, would you say that for me (someone who's never owned a DS and is just looking for casual gaming) the price of the DSi is worth it? Or would the extra $40 be better spent on a game or two after purchasing a DS Lite? One other thing, do you see the DSi as becoming very successful in the future in terms of downloadable and DSi exclusive games?

I apologize if my questions seem troubling, but I like to know a lot about something before I buy it.