Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

Community returned last week, Mad Men last night and Game of Thrones on Sunday, and the off-site forum is still down. This is truly the darkest timeline (though I'd say it's a fair trade for 92 Betty-free minutes of Mad Men).

Also, inb4 things devolve into a discussion of Megan's teeth.

lafigueroa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lafigueroa
Member since 2004 • 6648 Posts
who's Megan?
drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

who's Megan?lafigueroa
Don's current (and likey temporary) wife.

The S5 premiere did a pretty solid job getting the ball rolling. The party was the highlight of the episode.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Oh my god SO TRUE. No betty=BETTER MAD MEN. So since last season was a lot of Don becoming a lot like Roger(and that pretty much continued with the opening episode of this season) I think it's pretty easy to see that it looks like Peter(and Peggy) are essentially becoming the next Don? He's pretty much been a work horse for the company. I lol'd at Roger going "Where is my baby? get that brat out of my way"

Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Slow_Show

That moment in S4 when you realized that January Jones can't act, and that instead of Betty being an incredibly nuanced and detailed portrayal of a stuck-up, spoiled trophy wife, Jones has just doing what comes naturally to her...

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 drinkerofjuice

I'm starting to wonder if Roger's episodes are numbered? With the firm not being able to afford to keep anyone expendable, Roger is starting to head towards that path. He's more obnoxious than before, and he does nothing but lounge around as he doesn't have hold of any clients.

It would be a shame to lose him because he's one of my favorites, but I wouldn't be entirely surprised it it leads to that point.

Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Slow_Show

Roger's too important for the show to put him on a bus (he's the constant reminder of what Don is slowly turning in to, plus he really helps balance out the cast); I'd bet on them setting him up for a plotline where he ends up stealing some *huge* client from Pete in order to keep his job.

PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 PatchMaster
Member since 2003 • 6013 Posts

Relevant

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

That moment in S4 when you realized that January Jones can't act

Slow_Show

It took you that long to realize that she can't act? :P

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="Slow_Show"]

That moment in S4 when you realized that January Jones can't act

Teufelhuhn

To be fair Betty's not insufferable in the first 2 seasons. When she's the wife being cheated on and stuff she was fine. It's season 3 and on where she just becomes a c-word. The 4th one was when she felt like icing it.

Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Slow_Show

Teufelhuhn

She was obviously never a great actress, but I thought they did a solid job with Betty in in S1 and S2 (with S3 at least being understandable given what the character goes through). It's not until S4 when it becomes really clear that Betty isn't a character, it's just January Jones being January Jones.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts
I don't have AMC anyways, so I got the Mad Men episodes and I'm going to wait for the weekend and watch it with some other bros and some whiskey.
SilverChimera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 SilverChimera
Member since 2009 • 9256 Posts
Until Breaking Bad returns, TV doesn't exist.
Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Slow_Show

Until Breaking Bad returns, TV doesn't exist. SilverChimera

lafigueroa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 lafigueroa
Member since 2004 • 6648 Posts

Oh my god SO TRUE. No betty=BETTER MAD MEN. So since last season was a lot of Don becoming a lot like Roger(and that pretty much continued with the opening episode of this season) I think it's pretty easy to see that it looks like Peter(and Peggy) are essentially becoming the next Don? He's pretty much been a work horse for the company. I lol'd at Roger going "Where is my baby? get that brat out of my way"

jg4xchamp
YO CHAMP, this Supernatural show is the real deal. Why didn't you hit me up bout this sooner?
SevenzFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SevenzFlow
Member since 2012 • 378 Posts

Relevant

PatchMaster

lol, this sums it up 

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jg4xchamp
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

lafigueroa
YO CHAMP, this Supernatural show is the real deal. Why didn't you hit me up bout this sooner?

**** you all!!! I've been saying this for years.

The fact that G, Trey, and that whore Tagy were finally able to accept it was a good show is a long time coming. It's not up to snuff with the best dramas(and it isn't trying to be a drama). But it's a fun show to watch, and Dean Winchester is awesome. It maybe X-files lite to a lot of people. But it's less gay and less boring because the Winchesters>that brick maulder and that c*** scully.

My new suffering seems to be

ME: Yo bro you need to watch Friday Night Lights
Spawn of Satan: I am not watching a football show
ME: ITS MORE THAN JUST A FOOTBALL SHOW!! F********************************
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jg4xchamp
Until Breaking Bad returns, TV doesn't exist. SilverChimera
um Community bro? Abed would be disappointed right now.
AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
Just reached season 4 of Supernatural. I miss the awesome monster hunting episodes.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jg4xchamp
Just reached season 4 of Supernatural. I miss the awesome monster hunting episodes. AAllxxjjnn
It goes all story arch from here, save some exceptions in between that revolve around the apocalypse. AND YAY!!! you watched the show.
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
Just reached season 4 of Supernatural. I miss the awesome monster hunting episodes. AAllxxjjnn
Don't worry, once you reach season 6 you'll have a blast. :)
Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Slow_Show

Least convincing special effect: Fat Betty (related: holy sh*t Fat Betty!!!) or the direwolf?

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
Fat Betty was just comical. I wonder if they hate January Jones that much that they're forcing her into the world's most unconvincing fat suit just to mess with her. Why does TV and Hollywood seem to think that realistic fat people should look like the michelin man?
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jg4xchamp

I'm starting to question if January Jones can't act, or the Mad Men writers just go out of their way to make Betty sh1t. Because I had no beef with her in the first 2 seasons. In fact she was fine. But last season, and just her stuff this season. Her new issue is that she's fat, and of course that is an issue for someone who's been well aware of the fact that she's a good looking chick. That's her storyline for the year? At least the tumor thing was something, but nope that's apparently a non issue. Her storyline is that she's fat, so more reason for her to act like a spoiled b1tch.

Outside of that Harry is definitely not making it through the rest of the season. Don don't like him, he already had his "I want to **** meagan" moment, he goof'd on the rolling stones, plus he's a dork. In 4 seasons he's amounted to nothing more than a dork who's solid at his job. There is just no way he makes it the whole season and doesn't get canned.

I like the Peter vs Roger stuff. Peter's mohawk airlines move was hilariously d1ck.

The new dude was funny.

Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Slow_Show

It's both. Like for whatever reason Weiner won't out-and-out kill the character (which is too bad, because a "Betty dies from cancer" plot would've been the best thing for the character -- some much needed humanization combined with finally getting rid of her) so they're just trying to get Jones to quit the show instead by making her character increasingly ridiculous.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ninja-Hippo
I don't get all the hate for January Jones. Jon Hamm and Roger Sterling (because i refuse to accept that he is played by actor, that man is REAL) both say she was fine to work with, and the only source of criticism i've read came from Zack Galifianakas saying she was a b!tch to him at a party and the kid who played her son saying she wasn't very approachable. I may have missed something, though, who knows. I think her being a spoiled brat on the show is essentially what she is supposed to be. She's a trophy wife, so i think being ignorant and entitled comes with the character. As for her being a hilarious tubster, apparently it was just to conceal her pregnancy and wont last for the whole season.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jg4xchamp

I don't get all the hate for January Jones. Jon Hamm and Roger Sterling Ninja-Hippo
Even if they had something negative to say they would most likely hold it back. Putting up with her sh1t is a lot easier, than putting up with her sh1t(with a side of b1tch) after she realizes she was put on blast by her coworkers.

The hate for the character is that she's just incredibly awful to the point of no redeeming quality so far. In the first 2 seasons it was easy to take her side. Don d1cked her over. But last season she was just being a b1tch. That and her storylines just aren't all that interesting in the grand scheme of the show.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ninja-Hippo
I don't know why i'm doubting accusations that a person named 'January' is a b1tch. Her name is 'january'.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 110million

It's both. Like for whatever reason Weiner won't out-and-out kill the character (which is too bad, because a "Betty dies from cancer" plot would've been the best thing for the character -- some much needed humanization combined with finally getting rid of her) so they're just trying to get Jones to quit the show instead by making her character increasingly ridiculous.

Slow_Show

But what if she starts cooking meth.  

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jg4xchamp

[spoiler] I was all damn, impressed Don made it to the third episode before he cheated on her. Then he started choking the b1tch, and I figured it was a dream. So 3 episodes in, and Don is going strong. Impressive. Also felt bad for Joan and stuff, but good for her. Standing up and sh1t. Totally lol'd at Roger getting hustled by Peggy [/spoiler]

Justified has been really good also.

Supernatural season 7 could not possibly be more boring at this point. The angst is actually more annoying than the angst of Battlestar's last season.

Nikita's 2nd season has been surprisingly very good though(Inb4 the sh1t storm for watching a show, none of you have actually seen to make a judgement call on). Shame it's probably gonna get cancelled.

I'm gonna use this week to get caught up on Parks and Recreations.

Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Slow_Show

Peggy's been extra-great this season. Her and Roger should have a spin-off series where they drive around the country solving mysteries or conning small town folk or something.

Game of Thrones was great, but I'm not sure how I feel about them departing from the books so quickly (and apparently they really depart from the books sometime in the next few episodes); I guess it makes sense to ease into things now since everyone and their dog knows they'll have to do major work on AFFC and ADWD, but it's pretty jarring (especially when they start changing character's names) and I'm not sure that the first three book really needed any changes.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ninja-Hippo
Anyone else kinda disappointed it was a dream? :P
drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 drinkerofjuice

Anyone else kinda disappointed it was a dream? :PNinja-Hippo
I can understand the disappointment, because it arguably comes off as cheap storytelling. But it provided some interesting psychological insight regarding Don's character and his wish to keep the marriage afloat.

If it wasn't a dream, I would probably be worried that the show may have jumped the shark. :P

On a side note, it's amazing on how little Betty can greatly improve an episode. Well, it's not so much Betty, but rather January. 

Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Slow_Show

Yeah, in the sense it was oddly hackneyed for the show:

(Minor episode spoilers below; f*cking Glitchspot HTML errors won't let me use spoiler tags (or more than one space between paragraphs))

It was obviously a dream sequence from the get-go, and no duh Don did not murder some lady. It kind of soured the whole episode for me; there are just so many better ways to handle the same "hey, maybe Don really has changed and is going to make the Megan thing work" plotline.

Although I did like the possibility of there being an alternate Breaking Mad (booo...) timeline where Don has lung cancer, kills a woman, and turns to a life of crime. :P

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 drinkerofjuice

Bumping this up just to say I finished season one of Deadwood.

So. Fu*king. Good.

Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Slow_Show

I keep meaning to get into Deadwood, but all I hear about is how disappointing the ending is (in terms of it being cancelled or whatever happened).

Picked up Generation Kill the other week. Shockingly, David Simon is kinda good at the whole TV thing.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 drinkerofjuice

Technically the show isn't cancelled. HBO insists that it's not, and instead say that they decided to not pick it up for a fourth season, which is basically the same thing as cancelling it.

It's not impossible for it for make a return, but apparently the chances of that happening are extremely slim.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jg4xchamp

Bumping this up just to say I finished season one of Deadwood.

So. Fu*king. Good.

drinkerofjuice

I know right? Also the Justified Finale: So good. Raylene's whole spheal was legit.

thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts

Anybody watch Person of Interest?

The Killing is decent too. 

PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#40 PatchMaster
Member since 2003 • 6013 Posts

Finished up season 2 of Mad Men, season 4 of Heroes and season 1 or Arrested Development. Might start Twin Peaks next since HBO Go still doesn't work.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jg4xchamp
Would not f*ck with Lane.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ninja-Hippo
drinkerofjuice, i'm hopeful for another season of Deadwood. The Sopranos went away for nearly two years and HBO said the same thing. Not cancelled, just not on our schedule right now. It came back with a bang. In other news, that was definitely in my top five favorite Mad Men scenes. Hilarious. Although i gotta say, why are American writers - even the GREAT ones - completely inept when it comes to anything british? "I have to write a scene involving BRITISH people you say? Ok, i'm thinking we should have them all in the pub waving british flags singing god save the queen. Yup, sounds believable."
Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts

I'm watching Twin Peaks.

Aside from the teen romance drama, its one of the best shows I've seen. 

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

Anybody watch Person of Interest?

The Killing is decent too. 

thelastguy

I watched about half of it, then didn't have the time. Might try to go back later. Jim Caviezel is what Chuck Norris wishes he could be.

Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Slow_Show

drinkerofjuice, i'm hopeful for another season of Deadwood. The Sopranos went away for nearly two years and HBO said the same thing. Not cancelled, just not on our schedule right now. It came back with a bang. In other news, that was definitely in my top five favorite Mad Men scenes. Hilarious. Although i gotta say, why are American writers - even the GREAT ones - completely inept when it comes to anything british? "I have to write a scene involving BRITISH people you say? Ok, i'm thinking we should have them all in the pub waving british flags singing god save the queen. Yup, sounds believable."Ninja-Hippo

Uh, isn't it? It was the 1966 World Cup final at what was presumably one of the few bars in New York showing the game. What else were they supposed to do?

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 drinkerofjuice

Would not f*ck with Lane. jg4xchamp
"Once I put my hands up, it's too late to run."

Don closing the curtains in the room was a nice little touch to it all :P

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]Would not f*ck with Lane. drinkerofjuice

"Once I put my hands up, it's too late to run."

Don closing the curtains in the room was a nice little touch to it all :P

Yeah, it had a lot of good touches. I like the reveal of Ken and Peggy having a little pacht(don't know if that was said last season, but that was the first time I heard it). Could be a set up for one of them bouncing. The episode as a whole was nicely done. Pete centric episodes tend to be iffy, because as a person he's douchy. This was really good though. An entire episode dedicated to making him feel like the lesser man. From getting swagger jacked by a younger dude(lol he was hitting on a high schooler), having Don fix his sink, feeling mad guilty in front of don on the taxi ride home, and then the whole thing with Lane to tie it all up. Almost felt bad for him at the end during the elevator scene.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 110million

I'm watching Twin Peaks.

Aside from the teen romance drama, its one of the best shows I've seen. 

Guppy507

I just marathoned (well over a week or so) it a few weeks ago. It really is quite different from any other show. The only problem is later into the second season, it's obvious some characters had contracts but no plot purpose, and are kind of added in poorly.  

I'm almost done season 4 of breaking bad, I've been savoring it, I got 2 episodes left, and the last 2 episodes I saw were both season finale tier, this show is just so god damn good.

I only saw 2nd episode of Mad Men S05, I'll catch up when I finish Breaking Bad. Still need to start the second season of Game of Thrones too. 

Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Slow_Show

Yeah, it had a lot of good touches. I like the reveal of Ken and Peggy having a little pacht(don't know if that was said last season, but that was the first time I heard it). Could be a set up for one of them bouncing. The episode as a whole was nicely done. Pete centric episodes tend to be iffy, because as a person he's douchy. This was really good though. An entire episode dedicated to making him feel like the lesser man. From getting swagger jacked by a younger dude(lol he was hitting on a high schooler), having Don fix his sink, feeling mad guilty in front of don on the taxi ride home, and then the whole thing with Lane to tie it all up. Almost felt bad for him at the end during the elevator scene. jg4xchamp

I loved how everything Pete did was contrasted against Don: he has problems with Trudy even though she's the perfect wife (whereas Don obviously has the Betty and Megan thing), he gets swagger jacked while Don almost had to go out of his way not to bang that girl at the Stones concert the other week, he's emasculated when Don fixes the sink even though Don just seems to be genuinely happy to help, he ends up with a hooker and gets off on the "you're my king" line (or whatever), while Don (who was getting slapped around last time he was with a whore) just sits at the bar. It gives Pete some needed fleshing out and makes him more sympathetic, and you get the sense maybe things are finally going to work out for Don. Then Pete drops the "wait until the honeymoon is over" line. Perfect.

Also, "Because he had chewing gum on his pubis!"

We're gonna need a bigger Emmy.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 drinkerofjuice

Well I finished Deadwood, and while probably needless to say, I'm very sad. :(

Incredible, incredible show though. I mean, I cannot stress that enough.