so I just played 5 different fighting games on the Saturn back to back

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

lol, you again and your internet pictures :roll: I actually have vf2 on my saturn and it doesn't look anything like that up close

Darkman2007

Waiting for your "direct feed" shots...

don't know about the game looking totally differrent , but those pictures you posted are of a poor quality and the game does look better than that , especially with a good cable. heck , even my old capture device did a better job.

and these were taken with a composite output (simply because this capture card didn't have RGB) , the game looks quite a bit better (at least the colours and sharpness) with S-video or RGB.

Yeah, looks nice.

But would you say it looks better than the arcade one?

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#202 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

don't know about the game looking totally differrent , but those pictures you posted are of a poor quality and the game does look better than that , especially with a good cable. heck , even my old capture device did a better job.

and these were taken with a composite output (simply because this capture card didn't have RGB) , the game looks quite a bit better (at least the colours and sharpness) with S-video or RGB.

Yeah, looks nice.

of course not, the only thing the Saturn does better is the resolution , its higher, but apart from that , the arcade wins the character models are smoother and better, it has better textures, and the 3D backgrounds.

VF2 is like the SNES version of MK2 , a great port for its time given the hardware, but obviously not as good as the arcade original.

of course, I would say DOA, Last Bronx , Zero Divide and maybe even Anarchy in the Nippon , look better than VF2, but they are also later games.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

Darkman2007

Yeah, looks nice.

of course not, the only thing the Saturn does better is the resolution , its higher, but apart from that , the arcade wins the character models are smoother and better, it has better textures, and the 3D backgrounds.

VF2 is like the SNES version of MK2 , a great port for its time given the hardware, but obviously not as good as the arcade original.

of course, I would say DOA, Last Bronx , Zero Divide and maybe even Anarchy in the Nippon , look better than VF2, but they are also later games.

yeah, the arcade version looks a lot better, but the Satun version looks amazing for the hardware it runs, rivalling even some of the best looking PS1 games imo

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Yeah, looks nice.

rilpas

yeah, the arcade version looks a lot better, but the Satun version looks amazing for the hardware it runs, rivalling even some of the best looking PS1 games imo

well it beats every PS1 fighter at the time , but it was surpassed by Tekken 3 , Soul Blade etc
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#205 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

Yeah, looks nice.

no one has claimed that

still it looked better than any fighting game of that time, including tekken 2, which was a 1996 game. considering saturn had the most hardware margin left by 1997/1998 compared to psx. I think it's save to say they would've put out again the best looking fighting game in 1998 witf vf3, was it not canceled.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

Darkman2007

well it beats every PS1 fighter at the time , but it was surpassed by Tekken 3 , Soul Blade etc

those were the two PS1 fighters I had in mind when I said 'rivalling' :P

I think Virtua Fighter 2 falls a little below those in some areas, while looking better in others

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="rilpas"]

rilpas

I think Virtua Fighter 2 falls a little below those in some areas, while looking better in others

naa, Tekken 3 was better in every way, except for resolution and backgrounds, which was lower. even Soul Blade looks just as good, if not a bit better.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] well it beats every PS1 fighter at the time , but it was surpassed by Tekken 3 , Soul Blade etcDarkman2007

naa, Tekken 3 was better in every way, except for resolution and backgrounds, which was lower. even Soul Blade looks just as good, if not a bit better.

yeah, it's possible, It's been years since I've played Tekken 3

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#209 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Yeah, looks nice.

bultje112

no one has claimed that

still it looked better than any fighting game of that time, including tekken 2, which was a 1996 game. considering saturn had the most hardware margin left by 1997/1998 compared to psx. I think it's save to say they would've put out again the best looking fighting game in 1998 witf vf3, was it not canceled.

Actually, Virtua Figher 3 released for arcades in 1996 (when it was the most technically advanced game of that time), and for the Japanese Dreamcast in 1998... It's just that the Dreamcast port wasn't released in the West until 1999, by which time it was overshadowed by Soul Calibur (the Dreamcast port of which, rare for its time, actually looked better than the arcade original).

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="rilpas"]

rilpas

yeah, it's possible, It's been years since I've played Tekken 3

of course, Tekken 3 is also newer , so one can expect it to look better. VF2 does have the higher res though , Tekken 3 runs at 320X480 on the PS1 (it was 640X480 in the arcade which was basically a PS1 on steroids), also the backgrounds don't have that wallpaper look that alot of PS1 fighters have, because of the VDP2. Last Bronx and DOA put up a decent fight though , even if Tekken 3 is still a bit better (not nearly as much though)