SNES vs Sega Genesis/Mega Drive [poll added]

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#801 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

Then... why is it called Sonic the Hedgehog? I know it is not the same exact game, but then again, it does not deserve to be so closely related to the real deal. Of course it will not have the same levels, the Master System does not have blast processing!:D I think my comparison is still valid, it doesnt have to be literally the same exact game, but that makes it even worst! To call a game by the same name but have very different design.

mahlasor

the first 8 bit sonic game is a good game, but it's definatly the weakest of the 8 bit sonic games, with sonic 2, chaos and triple trouble the series returns to it's high speed platforming.

are they as good as the genesis sonic games? probably not, doesn't stop them from still being good games in their own right

also, it's not like mario hasn't had games with different designs. Super Mario land is very different from every other mario game, but it's still a good game

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#802 mahlasor
Member since 2010 • 1278 Posts

I justed edited my message, but I wonder, was the Master System as successful if not more longer lasting than the NES? Even Streets of Rage 2 is on the Master System.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#803 rilpas

I justed edited my message, but I wonder, was the Master System as successful if not more longer lasting than the NES? Even Streets of Rage 2 is on the Master System.

mahlasor
the master system is still produced today in some parts of the world, it's a very underrated console imo
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#804 rilpas

edit: So was the Master System more popular than I know? Did it sell so much and continue longer than the NES?

mahlasor

don't know, sega never kept track of it's console sales, this goes for the Genesis as well, no one knows how much the genesis really sold, not even Sega

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#805 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

[QUOTE="mahlasor"]

rilpas

the master system is still produced today in some parts of the world, it's a very underrated console imo

SEga produces it? The knockoffs don't count imo.

I do think it is underrated, and I think that part of the reason is because it wasn't that huge in the US--it didn't have the "super mario" game that grabbed the attention of the media.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#806 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

master system was very big in europe(and south america). in uk, spain, italy and portugal you'd be hard pressed to find any nintendo item other than gameboy. in netherlands nes sold well initially but when megadrive came around master system started to sell very well as well and I knew no one who even had a snes here. it was all sega. that's different from the us but it explains why we even got mortla kombat for the masyer system. it simply sold a lot as master system stayd a live for a long time. until 1995 here you could find games for it in toyshops quite easily. same for megadrive until 1998

unfortunately sega never took track of it's console sales although it is widely known master system is the 2nd best selling system sega ever made after the genesis/megadrive

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#807 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"][QUOTE="mahlasor"]

Heirren

yes and no

in Brazil, tectoy holds the right to all of sega's products, they actually built their own master system and megadrives in brazil and they still do

so it really depends on your definition of knock off as technically it's an official sega product

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#808 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts

Those are all basically Genesis game ports, Ninja Gaiden is too hard to enjoy.

mahlasor

That's only true for the second half of my list. The first half of my list are all original titles. As for Ninja Gaiden, if you're finding it too hard, there's a cheat in the game, where if you reach 999 MP, it stays at 999 MP.

yeah the master system is better for fighting games as there are none on the NES, but really, with the exception of masters of combat you can find ever other master system fighter on the Genesis or SNES

as for beat'em ups, I can't think of any exclusive master system beat'em up with the exception of the unifinished battletoads

I will admit that renegade is better on the master system though

rilpas

Well, competitive fighting games were not popular until the early 90s, so that was when the SMS got various ports of popular arcade fighting games, just like the SNES and Mega Drive. As for beat 'em up, I wasn't really referring to original titles, but to arcade ports. Generally, the SMS always got the better arcade ports, due to its technical advantages. For example, the NES version of Double Dragon was 1-player only, whereas the SMS version got a proper 2-player version of Double Dragon that was close to the arcade original (just with downgraded graphics & sound).

I wouldn't say the Ninja Gaidnen on Master System is better. It may have been a little easier on the eyes, but the NES version has fantastic gameplay and incredible music to match.

Emerald_Warrior

In my opinion, the SMS Ninja Gaiden had better gameplay as well. It might be because I played the SMS game first, but the NES games felt a bit primitive in comparison. One thing I liked about the SMS game, the bouncing-off-walls mechanic, wasn't there in the NES game, but in its place was a Spiderman-like sticking-on-walls mechanic, which I didn't quite like as much, so I'm quite glad the Xbox game went with the SMS mechanic (which is relatively more realistic, even for a super-ninja) instead of the NES one. With that said though, I must admit the NES games have better music than the SMS game. That much is undeniable. The SMS's biggest technical drawback was the PSG sound chip Sega decided to use for the Western versions, in comparison to the superior FM synth chip the Japanese version got.

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#809 mahlasor

Well, technically all systems are still being produced, may I introduce to you, the retron 3

You know that is interesting that the Sega never kept track of system sells, then why the heck was I lead to believe that the SNES sold x ammount over the Sega Genesis?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#810 Jag85

Then... why is it called Sonic the Hedgehog? I know it is not the same exact game, but then again, it does not deserve to be so closely related to the real deal. Of course it will not have the same levels, the Master System does not have blast processing!:D I think my comparison is still valid, it doesnt have to be literally the same exact game, but that makes it even worst! To call a game by the same name but have very different design.

edit: So was the Master System more popular than I know? Did it sell so much and continue longer than the NES?

mahlasor

It's called Sonic the Hedgehog because it features the character and the first level is almost identical to the Mega Drive one (although it starts changing after that). I wouldn't say the gameplay is as good as the Mega Drive version, but in my opinion, the SMS version had the better soundtrack, largely due to the fact it was composed by none other than Yuzo Koshiro, one of the best game composers of that era (he composed the soundtracks for the likes of Ys, Sorcerian, Shinobi, ActRaiser, Streets of Rage, etc.).

Anyway, the reason an 8-bit version was created was to revive the SMS. Sonic was not only the killer app for the Mega Drive, but it was also the killer app for the SMS in Europe & South America. Without Sonic, the SMS probably would have been long forgotten, but by including that game as a pack-in, it created a huge demand for the SMS in Europe & S. America during the early 90s. That's the reason why the SMS managed to last much longer than the NES (though the NES sold much more overall, due to the N. American and Japanese markets being much larger).

Anyway, my favourite 8-bit Sonic game would be Sonic 2, which improves on the first one in every way. In some ways, I would say the 8-bit Sonic 2 is almost as good as the 16-bit Sonic 2, even though they are completely different games. The reason is because the 8-bit Sonic 2 was more challenging and difficult (and maybe even had better boss battles IMO), though I don't think it had as much raw fun factor as the 16-bit Sonic 2. Also, the 8-bit Sonic 2 also had a great original soundtrack that rivalled its 16-bit cousin. Either way, the 8-bit Sonic games are still some of the best games in the Sonic series, alongside the 16-bit games of course.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#811 rilpas

Well, technically all systems are still being produced, may I introduce to you, the retron 3

mahlasor

yes, but that is not manufactured by a sega manufacturer, hell usually most of those aren't even legal

I'm talking about a company that owns the exclusive rights to Sega's consoles and has owned them since the early 80's

You know that is interesting that the Sega never kept track of system sells, then why the heck was I lead to believe that the SNES sold x ammount over the Sega Genesis?

mahlasor

because none of Sega's sales estimates surpass the SNES' sales

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#812 Jag85

[QUOTE="mahlasor"]You know that is interesting that the Sega never kept track of system sells, then why the heck was I lead to believe that the SNES sold x ammount over the Sega Genesis?

rilpas

Actually, the Mega/Genesis's overall sales estimates may have been slightly higher than the SNES in North America and certainly much higher in Europe and South America. What puts the SNES in the lead overall is the Japanese market, where the SNES had a huge lead over the Mega Drive, which was 3rd place behind the PC Engine in Japan.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#813 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="mahlasor"]You know that is interesting that the Sega never kept track of system sells, then why the heck was I lead to believe that the SNES sold x ammount over the Sega Genesis?

Jag85

Actually, the Mega/Genesis's overall sales estimates may have been slightly higher than the SNES in North America and certainly much higher in Europe and South America. What puts the SNES in the lead overall is the Japanese market, where the SNES had a huge lead over the Mega Drive, which was 3rd place behind the PC Engine in Japan.

yes, but the japanese lead is enough to offset even the best of Genesis' estimates, hence why i said it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#814 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="mahlasor"]

rilpas

yes, but that is not manufactured by a sega manufacturer, hell usually most of those aren't even legal

I'm talking about a company that owns the exclusive rights to Sega's consoles and has owned them since the early 80's

mahlasor

They are legal. The patents have run their course, I believe. The only reason for the SEga endorsement, even though it costs money, is to establish X knockoff as THE knockoff. This Genesis/Mega Drive portable has the "sega approval" but it is nothing more than a name.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#815 rilpas

They are legal. The patents have run their course, I believe. The only reason for the SEga endorsement, even though it costs money, is to establish X knockoff as THE knockoff. This Genesis/Mega Drive portable has the "sega approval" but it is nothing more than a name.

Heirren

this is what I mean though:

it's even called a master system, the master system 3 and it looks almost exactly like sega's master system 2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#816 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

rilpas

it's even called a master system, the master system 3 and it looks almost exactly like sega's master system 2

Is it manufactured by sega? If not, it is still the same deal.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#817 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

Heirren

again, it depends on what you consider sega, the company who manufactures it, was the same company who owned the south american production sega factories

Another48hours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#818 Another48hours
Member since 2012 • 1970 Posts

[QUOTE="mahlasor"] Wonder Boy held it up for a little bit. [QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"][QUOTE="mahlasor"]

Jag85

I do think it is underrated, and I think that part of the reason is because it wasn't that huge in the US--it didn't have the "super mario" game that grabbed the attention of the media.

Not really comparable though, the NES was advertised completely differently from most other systems at the time. If SMB was on the SMS for example and SMB didn't exist on the NES but it still had Metroid, Zelda and still the third part support the gap would still be bigger because of how the NES was advertised.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#819 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Not really comparable though, the NES was advertised completely differently from most other systems at the time. If SMB was on the SMS for example and SMB didn't exist on the NES but it still had Metroid, Zelda and still the third part support the gap would still be bigger because of how the NES was advertised.

Another48hours

You either are not making sense, or attempting to disagree yet elaborate on what I had said all at the same time.

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#820 mahlasor

Meh, at first I could not understand what 48hour is talking about, but if you ponder the words, you can understand what he is sayying. I agree if Super Mario Brothers was on the SMS, it probably would not have sold as well. Nintendo just was that good at advertising. It makes sense, despite me being a super Genesis fan, I didnt even know what a SMS was back in my childhood.

Anyways, woot! I got Thunderforce IV!

Another48hours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#821 Another48hours

Meh, at first I could not understand what 48hour is talking about, but if you ponder the words, you can understand what he is sayying. I agree if Super Mario Brothers was on the SMS, it probably would not have sold as well. Nintendo just was that good at advertising. It makes sense, despite me being a super Genesis fan, I didnt even know what a SMS was back in my childhood.

mahlasor
Not only decent at advertising, but it wasn't even advertised as a console in the first place. You had R.O.B., a bunch of family together games, toys like the light gun, etc.etc.etc. and etc. SMS was already in ropes anyway. Being the 3rd SG-1000 and all pretty much. Which, as I mention, the SG-1000 was a failure.
mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#822 mahlasor

Oh yeah, they did not advertise it as a console because they were trying to get away fromt he console crash. That is why the NES looked so different too.

I think I now understand why it is Lightening force, not thunderforce IV. The game kicked my @ss! I am so used to Musha were there is always hope.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#823 Renegade_Fury  Online
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Oh yeah, they did not advertise it as a console because they were trying to get away fromt he console crash. That is why the NES looked so different too.

I think I now understand why it is Lightening force, not thunderforce IV. The game kicked my @ss! I am so used to Musha were there is always hope.

mahlasor

Yeah, it's waaay harder than M.U.S.H.A, but is still a badass game. I love it.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#824 bultje112

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

Heirren

lol, as if you make the rules here. you're nintendo sheep. you really exposed yourself the last few weeks/months

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#825 bultje112

[QUOTE="mahlasor"]

Another48hours

Not only decent at advertising, but it wasn't even advertised as a console in the first place. You had R.O.B., a bunch of family together games, toys like the light gun, etc.etc.etc. and etc. SMS was already in ropes anyway. Being the 3rd SG-1000 and all pretty much. Which, as I mention, the SG-1000 was a failure.

exactly in the 80s in usa it was common to not even call gaming. you simply said let's go nintendo or let's play nintendo, basically any computer was called a nintendo in the consumers mind. sega had no chance in the usa with the master system, sega sold the publishing rights to tonka and it got even far worse. sega had horrible distribution and no advertising in the usa. in europe the story was totally different except nintendo also had lots of commercials but nobody cared, especially when sonic and the megadrive were released, other than france btw, which was a nintendo stronghold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#826 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

bultje112

lol, as if you make the rules here. you're nintendo sheep. you really exposed yourself the last few weeks/months

Please don't make such wild claims with no backing reason. Give me another reason, other than sales(what I pointed out), that a company would seek out a Sega endorsement.

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#827 mahlasor

Hardly a wild claim, we kind of know.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#828 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Hardly a wild claim, we kind of know.

mahlasor

I always give my reasons, though. Go ahead and point out another reason why X company would want the sega logo on their genesis/md box and get back to me.

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#829 mahlasor

We know your reasons, also Sega is awesome obviously. :)

edit: for a thread that has more SNES votes.. You would think they would be around more. Instead it seems this thread is dominated by Sega fans, maybe we just have more to say?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#830 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

edit: for a thread that has more SNES votes.. You would think they would be around more. Instead it seems this thread is dominated by Sega fans, maybe we just have more to say?

mahlasor

Depending on what is being talked about, I've been called a Sony fanboy, Nintendo fanboy, and Halo fanboy. btw, I never really dissed the genesis, I just don't understand why you would make baseless accusations.

Another48hours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#831 Another48hours

[QUOTE="Another48hours"][QUOTE="mahlasor"]

bultje112

exactly in the 80s in usa it was common to not even call gaming. you simply said let's go nintendo or let's play nintendo, basically any computer was called a nintendo in the consumers mind. sega had no chance in the usa with the master system, sega sold the publishing rights to tonka and it got even far worse. sega had horrible distribution and no advertising in the usa. in europe the story was totally different except nintendo also had lots of commercials but nobody cared, especially when sonic and the megadrive were released, other than france btw, which was a nintendo stronghold

In Europe, you could say that it was a video game system because video games didn't launch out all over Europe as much as they did later unlike the U.S. This in turn, made it so that Europe was still just experiencing consoles, especially in certain countries or certain areas. While the Market was still their, Video Entertainment systems was dropped and not as big as it was going to be in europe, but then that changed later. The MegaDrive did a good impact over there and the Genesis had a good impact over here.
mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#832 mahlasor

[QUOTE="mahlasor"]

Heirren

Depending on what is being talked about, I've been called a Sony fanboy, Nintendo fanboy, and Halo fanboy. btw, I never really dissed the genesis, I just don't understand why you would make baseless accusations.

Halo ftw. Well, you did support that one guy named Vulknuts.. So you leave the impression that you are Nintendo sheep. Maybe you have multifanboy personality disorder? Where one momment you are like "this company is the $%#*," then the next you are rooting for the exact opposite?

So this thread has cost me 57.82 cents. Genesis stuff, I just can not think of any SNES games that does not have that odd sound pitch that is prevalent on the SNES.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#833 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="mahlasor"]

mahlasor

Halo ftw. Well, you did support that one guy named Vulknuts.. So you leave the impression that you are Nintendo sheep. Maybe you have multifanboy personality disorder? Where one momment you are like "this company is the $%#*," then the next you are rooting for the exact opposite?

Or maybe he doesn't have a narrow-minded fanboy mindet that only one brand can be good. Maybe he's more open-minded when it comes to gaming. I'm the same way. Each console has it's own feel and game library, and it's almost like it's own little world of gaming. It's great to explore those.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#834 Jag85

bultje112

Actually, the SMS and NES were more or less even in France and Germany, though the SMS dominated pretty much every other European market, especially the UK.

Also, it should be noted that the SMS was the first console to gain mainstream popularity in Europe. In contrast to America and Japan, home video gaming (in contrast to arcade gaming) didn't really take off in Europe until after the North American crash, around the time of the home computer boom, so the Atari 2600 wasn't a household name there like it was in America. As a result, the European home video game market was dominated by computers (like the Commodore 64 and ZX Spectrum) in the mid-80s. A lot of the popular computer games in Europe were usually (almost always inferior) arcade ports, especially Sega games like Out Run. Considering how popular Sega arcade games were in Europe, and how the SMS was the best at arcade ports back then, this might explain why the SMS was more successful than the NES in Europe.

Or maybe he doesn't have a narrow-minded fanboy mindet that only one brand can be good. Maybe he's more open-minded when it comes to gaming. I'm the same way. Each console has it's own feel and game library, and it's almost like it's own little world of gaming. It's great to explore those.

Emerald_Warrior

I feel the same. There's been plenty of times when I jumped ship, from Sega, to Sony, to Microsoft, to Nintendo, and then eventually didn't see the point to brand loyalty anymore.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#835 rilpas
huh... guys? as someone who has been in a shouting match with Heirren... he didn't say anything wrong, he has good reason to not accept the master system 3 as a true sega console
mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#836 mahlasor

Emerald_Warrior

naaa, that sounds boring, I am going with MFPD. Thanks for telling em $&%t I already know.:) It is fun messing with him, because he tends to argue about things that are little of importance. Like how he is argueing about the logo on the Master System 3. How is it not a Master System? It is only not a true Master System if it is a crappy version of the Master System, like does not display as good of an image, lesser sound quality, but if it is the exact same quality, then it is a Master System.

edit: here is the evidence that he is Nintendo sheep.

He's got a point. In fact, if that is true that means there are more snes youtube vids, which is very saying of its staying power and popularity. My cousin had a genesis as a child, and these days he'll say the snes was the better console. When people get old enough they drop the nostalgic factor and just tell it like it is. SNES is the better system. A lot of the games have yet to be topped, and likely never will because that form of game design has been taken over by what hits shelves today.

Heirren

Well, if anyone has been following, we can kind of tell this is such a sheepish statement to make. My whole point in following this thread is to prove a statement like this is prejudiced. It really is hard to say one is the better console, because well.. Like I have displayed over and over again, they are both so dang different, that is a matter of preference. I think we can all agree that the SNES is designed around children, while the Genesis caters to adults. Genesis does what Nintendon't. What is that Nintendorks? That is right, you Nintendont want to mess with the Genesis, it will blast you away with its processing.

Btw, for people more familiar with the library of the SNES, can you find me games that are excellent that do not have the sound pitch I dislike?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#837 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

mahlasor

naaa, that sounds boring, I am going with MFPD. Thanks for telling em $&%t I already know.:) It is fun messing with him, because he tends to argue about things that are little of importance. Like how he is argueing about the logo on the Master System 3. How is it not a Master System? It is only not a true Master System if it is a crappy version of the Master System, like does not display as good of an image, lesser sound quality, but if it is the exact same quality, then it is a Master System.

He's got a point. In fact, if that is true that means there are more snes youtube vids, which is very saying of its staying power and popularity. My cousin had a genesis as a child, and these days he'll say the snes was the better console. When people get old enough they drop the nostalgic factor and just tell it like it is. SNES is the better system. A lot of the games have yet to be topped, and likely never will because that form of game design has been taken over by what hits shelves today.

Heirren

Well, if anyone has been following, we can kind of tell this is such a sheepish statement to make. My whole point in following this thread is to prove a statement like this is prejudiced. It really is hard to say one is the better console, because well.. Like I have displayed over and over again, they are both so dang different, that is a matter of preference. I think we can all agree that the SNES is designed around children, while the Genesis caters to adults. Genesis does what Nintendon't. What is that Nintendorks? That is right, you Nintendont want to mess with the Genesis, it will blast you away with its processing.

Btw, for people more familiar with the library of the SNES, can you find me games that are excellent that do not have the sound pitch I dislike?

Edited on Mar 21, 2012 2:58 pm GMT Edited 7 total times.

First, lol@editing a derogatory post, seven times.:roll:

Second, genesis and snes are very comparable in terms of library. They both have adventure games, they both have fighters, they both have rpgs, etc. However, last I checked genesis does not do "mode 7". So it really seems like that statement is backwards.

Third, the poster using the "youtube" example was simply trying to find a scientific way of expressing that snes is the more popular system, today. When you couple that with Nintendo still producing consoles AND repeatedly selling these old games and making profit? In reality, the argument does actually hold some weight.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#838 rilpas
it really doesn't hold any weight and there was nothing scientific about it, it was random at best what's next? the system that still has developers making games for it is the best one? *looks at pier solar* Oh look, my scientific study says Sega Genesis won, therefore it's the best
Another48hours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#839 Another48hours

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

mahlasor

Heirren

Wait a minute, you're bringing SW nicknames into this? RED FLAG!!! RED FLAG!!!!!!
mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#840 mahlasor

Sorry, I felt like using system war terms just for the lulz, I am not loling at his super serious response. So do not take me too serious please kthxbai.

edit: I tend to edit a lot to revise my statements, and well I was getting a quote.

edit 2: So I get this new Sega Genesis game, Adventures of Batman and Robin and it actually crashed in game.... 0: I have never seen a old console game crash during the action. All I know is this game is 3D uses a lot of special software that was not used for most of the Genesis life.. I just cant believe it crashed like a pc game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#841 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
...snes was also made of higher quality plastic. Thought that needed a mention...
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#842 rilpas
why did you dig up this old thread?
mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#843 mahlasor

SNES sucks!

edit: I havent even lurked on this board in a long time, and the topic happens to come back today... Its that time of year!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#844 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
why did you dig up this old thread? rilpas
Bored of the "war" thread. Nameless derails all threads with bits, bytes, and processor bllsht. In fact, 90% of legacy discussions end in Nameless talking about a systems potential graphical output with Darkman, who in turn brings up sega Saturn. :D
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#845 bultje112

why did you dig up this old thread? rilpas

because he's quit clearly a fanboy. and my plastic snes is decolored quit badly. wish it was black so it wouldn't/

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#846 rilpas
[QUOTE="rilpas"]why did you dig up this old thread? Heirren
Bored of the "war" thread. Nameless derails all threads with bits, bytes, and processor bllsht. In fact, 90% of legacy discussions end in Nameless talking about a systems potential graphical output with Darkman, who in turn brings up sega Saturn. :D

heh, I think disagree on your point though, the genesis had the better plastic, as in, the genesis wouldn't turn yellow after a few years :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#847 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
[QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="rilpas"]why did you dig up this old thread? rilpas

heh, I think disagree on your point though, the genesis had the better plastic, as in, the genesis wouldn't turn yellow after a few years :P

Fair point. I believe there may be a model that doesn't yellow, but I didn't own that one so perhaps Nintendo reduced production costs. I really like the design of the original Genesis. Why sega changed it, I do not know.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#848 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"][QUOTE="Heirren"] Bored of the "war" thread. Nameless derails all threads with bits, bytes, and processor bllsht. In fact, 90% of legacy discussions end in Nameless talking about a systems potential graphical output with Darkman, who in turn brings up sega Saturn. :DHeirren

Fair point. I believe there may be a model that doesn't yellow, but I didn't own that one so perhaps Nintendo reduced production costs. I really like the design of the original Genesis. Why sega changed it, I do not know.

agreed, the model 2 genesis looks like a cheap toy

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#849 bultje112

[QUOTE="rilpas"][QUOTE="Heirren"] Bored of the "war" thread. Nameless derails all threads with bits, bytes, and processor bllsht. In fact, 90% of legacy discussions end in Nameless talking about a systems potential graphical output with Darkman, who in turn brings up sega Saturn. :DHeirren

they changed it because it was cheaper. same reason for all new models of systems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#850 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="rilpas"] heh, I think disagree on your point though, the genesis had the better plastic, as in, the genesis wouldn't turn yellow after a few years :Pbultje112

they changed it because it was cheaper. same reason for all new models of systems

The revamped Gameboys retained a high quality, the gba was improved over time, the NES was made more reliable, second run psx consoles were also improved, the ps3 slim is arguably of even higher build quality vs the original, and the new Xbox 360s are infinitely superior. The Genesis 2 is not only made of cheaper parts, but the experience is even different as the sound quality holds very different characteristics.