SNES vs Sega Genesis/Mega Drive [poll added]

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Kaszilla
Member since 2011 • 1841 Posts

snes vs genesis

Which is your favorite and why?

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

the age old battle :P i remember being 12 and debating the superior merits of the snes. i personally was a snes fan, generally speaking the hardware was better, it put out more colors (with a wider range) the cpu was quicker, the sound was better, it could handle larger sprites. on top of that i found the games much better, there were a lot of close to perfect arcade ports and the exclusive list was insane. imo i thought the games played tighter and generally felt more responsive than genesis games.

all that being said, i concede that genesis does have some pretty fun games

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts

the age old battle :P i remember being 12 and debating the superior merits of the snes. i personally was a snes fan, generally speaking the hardware was better, it put out more colors (with a wider range) the cpu was quicker, the sound was better, it could handle larger sprites. on top of that i found the games much better, there were a lot of close to perfect arcade ports and the exclusive list was insane. imo i thought the games played tighter and generally felt more responsive than genesis games.

all that being said, i concede that genesis does have some pretty fun games

z4twenny

actually the genesis CPU was better, and If i'm not mistaken the genesis could also handle larger sprites

And yes, I'm a genesis, it has an overall better library, though I will admit that RPG's are it's Aquiles Heel

pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 pills4louis
Member since 2011 • 1331 Posts

When I was younger, I played more games on the SNES, but now that I've played through my backlogs for both systems, I love them both equally.

skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 skooks
Member since 2006 • 1411 Posts

Only had a Mega Drive as a kid and I loved the crap out of it, now that I'm older and I have both I still prefer my Mega Drive. Maybe it's nostalgia, maybe it's the games, I've never been able to pinpoint why really.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

I absolutely adore both systems. Two of the greatest systems EVER made. And the intensecompetition between Nintendo and Sega bred that greatness in those systems. Both have very solid hardware, and a great library of games.

Howeverif I was made to choose between them, I'd choose SNES simply because I prefer it's game library to Sega Genesis's game library. And most of the multiplatform games look and/or sound better than the Genesis versions.

The best way to compare systems, though, is to compare it's game libraries, which is what REALLY counts when comparing systems.

FavoriteSNES Exclusives:

• Aero Fighters
  • Actraiser
  • Contra III: The Alien Wars
  • Donkey Kong Country 1-3
  • Final Fight 1-3
  • F-Zero
  • Gradius III
  • Mega Man 8
  • Mega Man X 1-3
  • Ninja Gaiden Trilogy
  • R-Type III
  • Star Fox
  • Street Fighter: Alpha 2
  • Super Castlevania IV
  • Super Mario All-Stars
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Metroid
  • Super R-Type
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time
  • Tetris + Dr. Mario
  • X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse

FavoriteSega Genesis Exclusives:

• Altered Beast
  • Castlevania: Bloodlines
  • Columns
  • Comix Zone
  • Contra: Hard Corps
  • Golden Axe 1 & 2
  • Mortal Kombat 1 (The Uncensored Version which is VERY Censored on SNES)
  • MUSHA
  • The Punisher
  • Revenge of Shinobi
  • Road Rash 1-3
  • Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Space Harrier II
  • Spider-Man (1991)
  • Splatterhouse 2 & 3
  • Streets of Rage 1-3
  • Strider
  • Vectorman 1 & 2
  • X-Men 2: The Clone Wars

Great Games on Both Systems:

• Cool Spot
  • Darius Twin
  • Death & Return of Superman
  • Maximum Carnage (Spider-Man)
  • Mortal Kombat 2 & 3
  • Raiden
  • Samurai Shodown
  • Seperation Anxiety (Spider-Man)
  • Street Fighter II
  • Super Street Fighter II
Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#7 Koi-Neon-X
Member since 2009 • 2148 Posts

The SNES!

In my opinion it just has the best, cl*ssic, and timelessgames. I had an NES and I played cl*ssic games like Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Castlevania, Metroid, Final Fantasy, Mega Man 2,Contra, and Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! to name a few. Finally getting a SNES I enjoyedgames like Super Mario World, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Castlevania IV, Super Metroid, Final Fantasy III, Contra III: The Alien Wars, Super Punch-Out!!, and Mega Man X. and these are experiences Iwill never forget.Plus, there are so many more cl*ssic and timeless games in the SNES library:Chrono Trigger, Demon's Crest, Donkey Kong Country, Earthbound, F-Zero, Final Fight, Ninja Gaiden Trilogy, Pilotwings, Secret of Mana, Super Mario Kart,Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, and Zombies AteMy Neighbors.

I have a lot of love for the Sega Genesis too (I owned both the SG and the SNES at the time) so it was the best of both worlds. It's a great system with a lot of great games too.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

they are both absolutely fantastic and it's almost impossible to make a choice. the rpg's made snes better but genesis had sonic and great shooters like musha and thunder force (4) some very creative games like ecco and the arcade games liek golden axe which I always loved and also love streets of rage games

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

this isnt system wars.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

this isnt system wars.

Talldude80

Actually it is. Legacy systems aren't covered in System Wars so such threads can be made here.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
I spent a lot more time playing and have more favorites for SNES. Both have great exclusives though and should both be in any console collection.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178846 Posts
I was a Genesis fan....still am though I did pick up an SNES. Still the Genesis gets my vote....
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Both great systems, but going back and playing these from time to time I feel the SNES games hold up a lot better. In fact, a lot of the classics on the snes are even better than games being released today.

AwesomeKenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 AwesomeKenny
Member since 2010 • 375 Posts
SNES ftw!!! :D I do like the Sega Genesis too though, mainly because of Sonic the Hedgehog, Gunstar Heroes, and Dynamite Headdy. The SNES, on the other hand, was where I started playing games XD some of my favorite SNES games include Super Mario World, Super Mario All-Stars, Super Mario Kart, Zelda Link to the Past, F-Zero, Super Metroid, and Kirby Super Star :D
TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#15 TheKungFool
Member since 2006 • 5384 Posts

Its a tough call for me; I think the Genesis had the better game library overall, but I'm almost exclusively an RPG gamer, so for me, the SNES was the pick.

That said, with retro RPG titles like "Pier Solar", "The Beggar Prince", "Legend of Wukong" and "Star Odyssey" showing up on the Genesis lately, its been getting my attention again.

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NiKva
Member since 2010 • 8181 Posts

The SNES had Earthbound, so that takes my vote.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#17 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

I loved both but with the line up the SNES had you can't beat it.

yomanjdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#18 yomanjdf
Member since 2003 • 1166 Posts

cant understand how ppl like snes

the same games over and over

childish

genesis with sonic and ecco

shining force 1+2

and many more is the real winner

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
"The same games over and over" could apply to any popular gaming system where a game sets a standard in a particular genre and is soon followed by "me too" copycats. At the same time if games didn't sell, there wouldn't be sequels or other games coming out that were similar. First-party games and third party exclusives are the main reasons I like both systems - and tend to be the reasons I get any system.
DeafNYCPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DeafNYCPlayer
Member since 2004 • 2314 Posts
I like both. SNES has great RPGs. Genesis has great sport games.
The_Wild_Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 The_Wild_Tiger
Member since 2006 • 1712 Posts

SNES. Genesis has some pretty fun games too (Sonic, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Streets od Rage etc.) but I just love the SNES because there is so much variety in the games as well as so many great ones.

Awesum games for SNES:

Mega Man X 1,2,3

Super Mario World 1,2

DKC 1,2,3

Chrono Trigger

TMNTIV: Turtles in Time

Super Castlevania IV

Super Metroid

Zelda: ALttP

Star Fox

Street Fighter II

the list goes on.......

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

The first modern Console war. Nintendo won with 49.10-49.5 Million SNES sold. Sega Genesis 36-39 Million sold. (Numbers vary depending on source)

Sega had 3 versions of the Sega Genesis. 1,2,3 While Nintendo had 2 (in North America) SNES 1 & 2. The second was closer to the PAL and Japaness SNES in size.

SEGA actually had the #1 console for a time. But Nintendo managed a come from behind win after Sega had a 2 year head start.I had both systems and the 16 bit era is my favorite.

kyuss015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 kyuss015
Member since 2006 • 293 Posts

Two of my favorite game systems ever. It's almost criminal to pick one over the other. But if I am going to do it, I am going to choose the Sega Genesis. I had one growing up, so I was able to play a lot of its games when they were new. I didn't get a SNES until 1997, but I ended getting a sizeable. library of games for that one real quick. I still am amazed at how good games on these systems hold up. But my pick is the Genesis, just absolutely love Sonic the Hedgehog, Phantasy Star 2-4, Shining Force, Outrun, Golden Axe, Thunder Force 2 and 3, MUSHA, Castlevania Bloodlines, Gunstar Heroes, Super Hang On, Revenge of Shinobi, Shinobi 3, Aladdin, Streets of Rage 1-3, Mercs, Strider, Truxton, Contra Hard Corps. Make no mistake, I love the SNES. But the Genesis is my personal favorite. Totally see people preferring the SNES over the Genesis, and that is ok.:)

yomanjdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 yomanjdf

"The same games over and over" could apply to any popular gaming system where a game sets a standard in a particular genre and is soon followed by "me too" copycats. At the same time if games didn't sell, there wouldn't be sequels or other games coming out that were similar. First-party games and third party exclusives are the main reasons I like both systems - and tend to be the reasons I get any system.Stinger78

the shose games suck

Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Koi-Neon-X

childish

shining force 1+2

yomanjdf

LOL. Bugs Bunny in Double Trouble, Crystal's Pony Tale, Dino Land, Fantastic Dizzy, Global Gladiators, Goofy's Hysterical History (shall I go on?) these are all Sega Genesis games.

Both systems had their fair share of kiddie games (some of them on BOTH systems). Is Contra III, Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger, Blackthorne, F-Zero, Mortal Kombat II, or U.N. Squadron childish? I don't think so. I LOVE the SNES (and the Sega Genesis) because each system has great video games. Enough said.

yomanjdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 yomanjdf

[QUOTE="yomanjdf"]

childish

shining force 1+2

Koi-Neon-X

LOL. Bugs Bunny in Double Trouble, Crystal's Pony Tale, Dino Land, Fantastic Dizzy, Global Gladiators, Goofy's Hysterical History (shall I go on?) these are all Sega Genesis games.

Both systems had their fair share of kiddie games (some of them on BOTH systems). Is Contra III, Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger, Blackthorne, F-Zero, Mortal Kombat II, or U.N. Squadron childish? I don't think so. I LOVE the SNES (and the Sega Genesis) because each system has great video games. Enough said.

mk2+contra is on genesis 2

chrono trigger is good

listen -snes is major on kids games

genesis got more mature games less colorful "happy like care bears" games:)

Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Koi-Neon-X

chrono trigger is good

I don't know I might have to do some research on that one, but I'm going to say that both systems have their fair share of kiddie-type games (which isn't a bad thing because let's face it: little kids play video games too!) Yes, MK II is on the Sega Genesis as well, but the Contra games are different (Contra III being the best in the series in my opinion with the original and Shattered Solidier being a very close second). I think both systems have their fair share of mature games though.;)

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#28 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

wrong the snes was more powerful have a nice day ,

and as far as games goes snes definatelly is the better deal

lets list shall we starting with my original collection that im still currently rebuying 7 more needed to finish

1. top gear
  2. super mario kart
  3. mario all stars
  4. zelda a link to past-gotta rebuy
  5. ren and stimpy big buckaroos-gotta rebuy
  6. sparkster-gotta rebuy
  7. zombies ate my nieghbors-i own both versions of this gotta say snes is better
  8. the lion king-same story as zombies the audio in gensis and graphics lol are that of a master system for that game
  9. mario is missing-gotta rebuy
  10. race drivin
  11. top gear 2
  12. top gear 3000 my personal favorite of the 3
  13. rock and roll racing played the gba version as well as the genesis version id either get the gba or this one ,because the audio again just flat out is dead, also the colors are off on the gen version the reds and such are gone
  14. off road the baja
  15. atari greatest hits
  16. super mario rpg
  17. pac man 2
  18. pac attack
  19. stunt race fx
  20. donkey kong country
  21. donkey kong country 2
  22. donkey kong country 3
  23. full throttle american racing-its like those moto gp games as well as wave race without the bouys though , one mode is motorcycle the other is water craft i dont think genesis has this one either
  24. paperboy 2 , the snes version is different then the gen , lol the gen is just the first one , with number 2 slapped on it its not even the same
  25. doom
  26. killer instinct
  27. speed racer
  28. micael andretti indicar challenge-gotta find another copy , but y a thats just my games i had as a child , i have rebought a snes as stated and now have almost 190 games total lol ,

so you tell me vs sonic 1 2 3 streets of rage 1 2 and 3 , plus the fact all genesis greatest games can be played on ps3 or xbox 360 or wii its almost not worth it to go through the trouble of finding all those games for some one who already has them on 360 ps3 ,

that said snes has more value then a genesis now any how

so snes wins by a mile

until you cAN NAME a system that is capable of playing rock n roll racing the 3 top gear games , oh boy we are just scratchin the surface aint we cause im missing lots of rpgs as i didnt play rpgs back in the day i just now got into those lol

wow we got oh the snes is for kids argument well back in the ninties im quite sure we all were kids,

so this should not be a suprise that snes has colorful but yet fun games ,

minus fighting games like killer instinct ballz3d brutal paws a fury 3 mortal kombats doom , really you fighting about which system is made for kids just give up already back then there were hardly any fps games to begin with ,

your lines of oh genesis has more mature games isa lie right through your teeth ,

even its mostviolent games -not counting multiplats of course like mortal kombat ,

streets of rage for one iscolor ful ,

dont tell me its not i ve played that on the genesis wii xbox360 game gearso ya its notshall we saylife like we didnt have many of those games back in the ninties in fact it wasnt til n64 era we saw games like goldeneye perfect darkhexen quake 1 and 2 , seriously and those were n64 games so that wouldguarantee any statment saying n64 was for just kids a lie

but ya snes genesis both had more colorful games then realistic ones because thegraphics were not advancedenough or the crowed at the time wasnt interisted as shown by doomsnes sales, it wasnt as successful as pc version whichat the time was fps market the pc ,

fps did not become popular until myfavorite game would then be released in1997 caLLED GOLDENEYE 007 so dont expect me to sit here and believegenesis was for a set crowd when it was not , they both did the same identical things , not much was different except genesis had sonicand such

and nintendo had mario

what gets me is if genesis was more better then the snes whythe heck isnt top gearor top gear 3000 available for it ,one should ask them selfs

2 of the best racing games oddly the 2nd entrywas on the genesis but i wonder what sacrafices it had ,maybe the crap audio again asdemonstrated inalmost any multiplat gen snes game

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Most of my Genesis fanboy friends, today, will admit the snes is the better console. Soooo many classic games. Probably the most ever of any console.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

[QUOTE="Koi-Neon-X"]

[QUOTE="yomanjdf"]

childish

shining force 1+2

yomanjdf

chrono trigger is good

The SNES version of MK2 shatters the Genesis 1 just like the Genesis Version of MK1 shatters the SNES version

The Contra games were different. The Castlevania games were different on both systems.

I do not know where you are getting this kid friendly care bare mentality from.

Pegalamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Pegalamp
Member since 2011 • 600 Posts
Neo-Geo. And my quality games list qwould out list all of your quality games list. But out of those 2, the Genesis. Only one had the overall better Mortal Kombat games. Oh and those games where actually COMPLETE (talking to you capcom.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nameless12345

But out of those 2, the Genesis. Only one had the overall better Mortal Kombat games. Oh and those games where actually COMPLETE (talking to you capcom.Pegalamp

Well if you want a fair comparison of the MK games for both consoles, here it goes (will be long):

MK1 Genesis:

+ blood code

+ custom soundtrack (that's either a good or a bad thing)

+ higher res graphics

+ less laggy gameplay

- you need 6-button pad for complete control (holding the start button for block? Good joke.)

- overall worse graphics (low color count, worse animation)

- overall worse sound and a soundtrack that sounds nothing like the arcade one

- some minor missings

MK1 SNES:

+ better graphics and sound (much closer to arcade)

+ better control with default pad

- laggy, glithcy gameplay

- no blood, altered fatalities

MKII Genesis:

+ smoother gameplay

+ looks darker (that's either a good or a bad thing)

+ higher res

+ bigger character sprites

- much worse soundtrack and sound FX (you can't disagree with that, sorry)

- much less colorful graphics, missing background animations

- worse control with default pad

MKII SNES:

+ looks and sounds much closer to arcade (despite the "muffled" sound)

+ full controls with default pad

+ more blood and gore (yes you heard that right)

+ the soundtrack is even cooler than the arcade one in some cases (see intro music)

- character sprites aren't as detailed

- a little glitchy

MK3 Genesis:

+ better effort than MK1 and MKII (i.e. looks and sounds closer to arcade)

+ faster gameplay (either good or bad thing)

+ slightly higher res

+ perhaps a little better animation

- low color count and low quality sound

- gimped control with default pad

- missing some stuff

MK3 SNES:

+ looks and sounds the best

+ full control with default pad

+ normal speed

- PS1 version looks and sounds much better (but I included that just for fun)

So no, Genesis MKs weren't overall better. Infact the only reason why MK1 was better than the SNES one was because it had the blood code and wasn't so glitchy.

Pegalamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Pegalamp
[QUOTE="yomanjdf"]

[QUOTE="Koi-Neon-X"]

[QUOTE="yomanjdf"]

childish

shining force 1+2

chrono trigger is good

Hell yes Genesis games where NO WHERE near as colourful as a lot of SNES game. Megaman 7 being the mani comparison. I can barely find 3 genesis games that damn colourful. Thinking about it again, I would choose the Genesis. I played that the most with my Turbo-16/CD.
Pegalamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Pegalamp

[QUOTE="Pegalamp"]But out of those 2, the Genesis. Only one had the overall better Mortal Kombat games. Oh and those games where actually COMPLETE (talking to you capcom.nameless12345

Well if you want a fair comparison of the MK games for both consoles, here it goes (will be long):

MK1 Genesis:

+ blood code

+ higher res graphics

+ less laggy gameplay

- you need 6-button pad for complete control (holding the start button for block? Good joke.)

- some minor missings

MK1 SNES:

MKII Genesis:

+ smoother gameplay

+ higher res

MKII SNES:

+ the soundtrack is even cooler than the arcade one in some cases (see intro music)

- a little glitchy

MK3 Genesis:

+ slightly higher res

- missing some stuff

MK3 SNES:

+ normal speed

So no, Genesis MKs weren't overall better. Infact the only reason why MK1 was better than the SNES one was because it had the blood code and wasn't so glitchy.

The main problem here is that a few of those are YOUR opinion, and SNES does not have UMK3. Case dimissied.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Pegalamp"]But out of those 2, the Genesis. Only one had the overall better Mortal Kombat games. Oh and those games where actually COMPLETE (talking to you capcom.Pegalamp

MK1 Genesis:

+ blood code

+ higher res graphics

+ less laggy gameplay

- some minor missings

MK1 SNES:

MKII Genesis:

+ smoother gameplay

+ higher res

MKII SNES:

- a little glitchy

MK3 Genesis:

+ slightly higher res

- missing some stuff

MK3 SNES:

+ normal speed

The main problem here is that a few of those are YOUR opinion, and SNES does not have UMK3. Case dimissied.

Wrong, it does have UMK3. I just didn't include it. Of course those are my opinions. Now let's hear yours ;)

Pegalamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Pegalamp
[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Pegalamp"][QUOTE="nameless12345"]

MK1 Genesis:

+ blood code

+ higher res graphics

+ less laggy gameplay

- some minor missings

MK1 SNES:

MKII Genesis:

+ smoother gameplay

+ higher res

MKII SNES:

- a little glitchy

MK3 Genesis:

+ slightly higher res

- missing some stuff

MK3 SNES:

+ normal speed

Wrong, it does have UMK3. I just didn't include it. Of course those are my opinions. Now let's hear yours ;)

That was the point. You not including UMK3 and listing opinions is not a fiar compariosn when technically, all around (Excluding the 32x/CD) or in other words OVERALL, Mortal Kombat is a better experience on the Genesis. I am not saying the Snes games are bad the Genesis versions OVERALL are better, both have problems so what can you do?
silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 silent_bomber
Member since 2009 • 767 Posts

SNES MK1

+ Slightly Better Colour

+ Better Animation

+ Accurate Soundtrack

- Whilst more accurate, soundtrack is low quality

- Censorship

- Laggy Controls

- Missing Combos

- Dual projectiles not supported

- New exploits (Corner punch juggling)

- Buggy

- Low Resolution

Genesis MK1

+ Higher Resolution

+ More accurate gameplay

+ Responsive Controls

+ Gore

+ Custom programmed sound engine by Matt Furniss, with some of the highest quality audio on Genesis (not accurate to arcade though)

- Music is not arcade accurate

- Slightly Worse Colour

- Worse Animation

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Pegalamp"] The main problem here is that a few of those are YOUR opinion, and SNES does not have UMK3. Case dimissied.Pegalamp

That was the point. You not including UMK3 and listing opinions is not a fiar compariosn when technically, all around (Excluding the 32x/CD) or in other words OVERALL, Mortal Kombat is a better experience on the Genesis. I am not saying the Snes games are bad the Genesis versions OVERALL are better, both have problems so what can you do?

I agree with Nameless on this one. Mortal Kombat 1 is without a doubt better on Genesis. But all the sequels were better on SNES. SNES had better graphics and sound which made the game closer to the arcade versions. In fact, the SNES version of MK1 also had better graphics and sound, but the blood and violence really make a HUGE difference with a series like Mortal Kombat making the Genesis version better since the SNES version was neutered.

nitekids2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 nitekids2004
Member since 2005 • 2981 Posts

My most memorable experience was playing Streets of Rage 2 and 3 w/ my brother/cousin.

My second most memorable experience wasdying repeatedlyon Chemical PlantZone in Sonic 2:lol:

But I think SNES was better :P Magical Quest was anunderrated platformer.

rabbids4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#41 rabbids4eva
Member since 2011 • 61 Posts

Genesis does what nintendon't

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 nameless12345

Genesis does what nintendon't

rabbids4eva

Actually the SNES does everything the Genesis does and more with the aid of add-on chips :P

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Pegalamp"] The main problem here is that a few of those are YOUR opinion, and SNES does not have UMK3. Case dimissied.Pegalamp

MK 2 was way better on SNES. There was way more color. The SNES had Goro's lair for special fights while the genesis version only had a different colored version of the portal stage. The lines that Shao kahn has are in the SNES Version of the game. The genesis does not announce who won the match.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortal_Kombat_II

SteamedBennet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SteamedBennet
Member since 2011 • 534 Posts

Mega Drive. Sega just seemed to be more popular where I was.

starkastor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 starkastor
Member since 2011 • 47 Posts

This is one of the very few system wars of which I like both equally. I would easily pick NES over Master System, Playstation over 64, PS2 over Xbox. However here both systems seem to have a bit of everything that I like. Now who's up for some bloody Mortal Kombat, followed by some spirited FFVI questing?

eleven1181

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 eleven1181
Member since 2010 • 339 Posts

Nintendo for me super mario 3 was great when i was a kid

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 nameless12345

I have to say I liked SNES better back then but now I almost like Mega Drive better.

Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Kaszilla
Member since 2011 • 1841 Posts

I have to say I liked SNES better back then but now I almost like Mega Drive better.

nameless12345
Chronic trigger is better than phantasy star. Sonic and knuckles is better than Yoshi's island.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Emerald_Warrior

Chronic trigger is better than phantasy star. Sonic and knuckles is better than Yoshi's island.Kaszilla

lol, agreed. I like my Chronic Trigger a lot more, too.

AjarnLenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#50 AjarnLenny
Member since 2009 • 260 Posts

Genesis, although many multiplat titles like Rock'n roll racing and Alien 3 looks better on the SNES.