Legacy System recommendation thread.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1101 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

As for carrier, well I don't have a dreamcast, so I guess I'm out of luck there. I guess it wasn't re-released on other systems or anything was it?

lazyathew

I don't think so, but I'm not 100% sure.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#1102 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="Jakandsigz"][QUOTE="Eikichi-Onizuka"] Yeah, that's why you flooded my inbox by clicking that follow button so many times. You know I can delete all those with two clicks? :PEikichi-Onizuka
What?

I thought you might be A48, if not I'll give you some real suggestions. Star Wars Battlefront II Star Wars: Dark Forces/Dark Forces 2 Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Star Wars: Republic Commando All of them are 66% off on Steam right now. The Rogue Squadron games for the N64/Gamecube are pretty good as well.

It is very likely that he is indeed A48.

travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#1103 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

Which game should I start with?

• ActRaiser 
  • Soul Blazer
  • ActRaider 2
  • Illusion of Gaia
  • Terranigma

I've been wanting to dive into these games to see why these games get so much praise.

I love role-playing games and I've really been wanting to play old school games lately.

EDIT: Started playing Soul Blazer, absolutely love it.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#1104 TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts
Vehicular shooters? I enjoyed Full Auto and Twisted Metal for the fun factor, but i don't really see anything else similar.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1105 Emerald_Warrior

Vehicular shooters? I enjoyed Full Auto and Twisted Metal for the fun factor, but i don't really see anything else similar.TigerSuperman

Vigilante 8 and it's sequel Vigilante 8: 2nd Offense were even better than the Twisted Metal games of the time, IMO. Very similar, but it had more of a sense of style to it. They're on PS1, N64, and Dreamcast.

The Wipout series is pretty fun, too. However, they aren't really vehicular-combat games. They're racing games, but they do have lots of weapons.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1106 TigerSuperman

[QUOTE="TigerSuperman"]Vehicular shooters? I enjoyed Full Auto and Twisted Metal for the fun factor, but i don't really see anything else similar.Emerald_Warrior

Vigilante 8 and it's sequel Vigilante 8: 2nd Offense were even better than the Twisted Metal games of the time, IMO. Very similar, but it had more of a sense of style to it. They're on PS1, N64, and Dreamcast.

The Wipout series is pretty fun, too. However, they aren't really vehicular-combat games. They're racing games, but they do have lots of weapons.

Which versions are better?
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1107 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

[QUOTE="TigerSuperman"]Vehicular shooters? I enjoyed Full Auto and Twisted Metal for the fun factor, but i don't really see anything else similar.TigerSuperman

I've never played the N64 version, so I couldn't tell you on those. On Dreamcast, you can only get the 2nd Offense game, but it is a better version than the PS1 version, for sure.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1109 TigerSuperman

[QUOTE="TigerSuperman"][QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

Emerald_Warrior

I've never played the N64 version, so I couldn't tell you on those. On Dreamcast, you can only get the 2nd Offense game, but it is a better version than the PS1 version, for sure.

Didn't realize how limited this sub-genre was, I'll check out these games though. They aren't expensive online right?
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1110 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="TigerSuperman"] Which versions are better?TigerSuperman

Didn't realize how limited this sub-genre was, I'll check out these games though. They aren't expensive online right?

I don't think so. But then it's been a while since I picked them up.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1111 TigerSuperman
Now next on my list, since you have the avatar you might be the man to help with this. I am looking at Metroid Prime games, my prime original broke, and I only played Prime 2 but never owned. So, I was looking at the Wii collection, but is the Wii collection the better deal? Or are the original one, two, and 3 more playable alone? Any differences in the collection version that don't exist in the stand alones? Slowdown? Glitches? New additions? Removed features?
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1112 Emerald_Warrior

I've never played the collection. But why pay that insane amount for that, when the individual games are MUCH cheaper to get?

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1113 TigerSuperman

I've never played the collection. But why pay that insane amount for that, when the individual games are MUCH cheaper to get?

Emerald_Warrior
Insane amount? MUCH cheaper? Whoa, I am not even going to ask the price then, I'm just going to get the games by themselves.
saosebastiao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#1114 saosebastiao
Member since 2006 • 140 Posts

• ActRaiser 
  • Soul Blazer
  • ActRaider 2
  • Illusion of Gaia
  • Terranigma

I've been wanting to dive into these games to see why these games get so much praise.

I love role-playing games and I've really been wanting to play old school games lately.

travisstaggs

You forgot Granstream Saga on the ps1, it's made by the same guys as the rest (Thought as a different developer, basically the same people as Quintet), and still part of the Soul "saga",  not many people now this :p

Check hardcore gaming 101 for more info.

travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1115 travisstaggs

[QUOTE="travisstaggs"]

• ActRaiser 
  • Soul Blazer
  • ActRaider 2
  • Illusion of Gaia
  • Terranigma

saosebastiao

You forgot Granstream Saga on the ps1, it's made by the same guys as the rest (Thought as a different developer, basically the same people as Quintet), and still part of the Soul "saga",  not many people now this :p

Yeah, I found out about Granstream Saga after I finished Soul Blazer. Playing through ActRaiser right now and loving it. This is one of the most underrated set of games ever.
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#1116 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
[QUOTE="saosebastiao"]

[QUOTE="travisstaggs"]

• ActRaiser 
  • Soul Blazer
  • ActRaider 2
  • Illusion of Gaia
  • Terranigma

travisstaggs

Yeah, I found out about Granstream Saga after I finished Soul Blazer. Playing through ActRaiser right now and loving it. This is one of the most underrated set of games ever.

Just don't expect as much from Actraiser 2. It's a decent game, but lost half of what made the original good. I need to play Soul Blazer and Terranigma myself, I liked Illusion of Gaia.
travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1117 travisstaggs
[QUOTE="travisstaggs"][QUOTE="saosebastiao"]

Eikichi-Onizuka

Just don't expect as much from Actraiser 2. It's a decent game, but lost half of what made the original good. I need to play Soul Blazer and Terranigma myself, I liked Illusion of Gaia.

I'm thinking about just skipping over ActRaiser 2. I'm at the end of ActRaiser now and the thought of the game without the SIM part just doesn't sound like too great of an idea to me.
con_matrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1118 con_matrix
Member since 2008 • 200 Posts

Vehicular shooters? I enjoyed Full Auto and Twisted Metal for the fun factor, but i don't really see anything else similar.TigerSuperman

What about the Mashed series?

Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1119 Eikichi-Onizuka
[QUOTE="travisstaggs"] I'm thinking about just skipping over ActRaiser 2

You wouldn't miss out on much.
travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1120 travisstaggs
[QUOTE="Eikichi-Onizuka"][QUOTE="travisstaggs"] I'm thinking about just skipping over ActRaiser 2

You wouldn't miss out on much.

I just skipped it altogether and started playing Terranigma.
shawn7324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#1121 shawn7324
Member since 2006 • 8690 Posts

On the PS2 I'm looking at picking it one of 2 games.  Yakuza or Second Sight.  Definitely want to play both, however which should I pick up first?

Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1123 Eikichi-Onizuka

On the PS2 I'm looking at picking it one of 2 games.  Yakuza or Second Sight.  Definitely want to play both, however which should I pick up first?

shawn7324
I would suggest Yakuza, that way you'll find out if you want to hunt the second one down or not.
saosebastiao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#1124 saosebastiao
Member since 2006 • 140 Posts

[QUOTE="TigerSuperman"]Vehicular shooters? I enjoyed Full Auto and Twisted Metal for the fun factor, but i don't really see anything else similar.con_matrix

I think Mashed was a Micro Machines type of game, not truly a combat vehicles game. There's also Rogue Trip, Vigilante 8 1 and 2, those are good.

BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#1125 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

[QUOTE="con_matrix"]

[QUOTE="TigerSuperman"]Vehicular shooters? I enjoyed Full Auto and Twisted Metal for the fun factor, but i don't really see anything else similar.saosebastiao

I think Mashed was a Micro Machines type of game, not truly a combat vehicles game. There's also Rogue Trip, Vigilante 8 1 and 2, those are good.

I'd definitely suggest Mashed, though try to get the "Fully Loaded" version, it's essentially the same as "Drive to Survive" but with extras and refinements. 

hello505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1126 hello505
Member since 2013 • 523 Posts
Fahrenheit is a vastly underrated game, that is focused more on story than anything else, the gameplay is simply QTEs, but heart-stopping moments will be produced and for a game of the PS2/Xbox caliber, they are visually remarkable when actions occur. Heavy Rain, in equal to last gen, if you ask me.
Brown3ulie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1127 Brown3ulie
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Remember, these are just the opinions of some random Gamespot editors.
con_matrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1129 con_matrix
Member since 2008 • 200 Posts

Just ordered a PSP and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations, don't particularly mind about the genre but prefer RPG's and action games

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1132 TigerSuperman
I was thinking to start getting into the Yakuza games. What games play like Yakuza? Is it familiar gameplay that is used in other games, or is it its own unique take on Action adventure?
enz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1133 enz2
Member since 2007 • 1689 Posts

Just ordered a PSP and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations, don't particularly mind about the genre but prefer RPG's and action games

con_matrix
For RPGs, definitely check out the Ys series. The Oath in Felghana, 1 and 2 Chronicles and Seven. There's also Final Fantasy IV, Crisis Core, The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. Although these are all JRPGs. Not sure if you're referring to western or Japanese games.
TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1135 TigerSuperman
Open world games that are modern but not GTA clones? That's all I seem to find before the current gen.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#1136 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
I was thinking to start getting into the Yakuza games. What games play like Yakuza? Is it familiar gameplay that is used in other games, or is it its own unique take on Action adventure?TigerSuperman
I think the closest to compare it to would be Shenmue. They're similar in various aspects.
AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#1137 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

con_matrix
The God of war games on the PSP are very good.
TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1138 TigerSuperman
[QUOTE="TigerSuperman"]I was thinking to start getting into the Yakuza games. What games play like Yakuza? Is it familiar gameplay that is used in other games, or is it its own unique take on Action adventure?Dudersaper
I think the closest to compare it to would be Shenmue. They're similar in various aspects.

I already have Shenmue though? There's nothing else? Guess GTA had a bigger effect on open action-adventure games than i thought back then.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1139 Dudersaper

I didn't know you were asking for reccomendations. You said you were gonna try out Yakuza and asked for a game with similar gameplay, so I said Shenmue, which is he closest. You didn't say you wanted reccomendations for other similar games to play. Anyway, I can't think of any others fairly similar to Yakuza and Shenmue, they're kinda "they're own thing" imo.

CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it  CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it
TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1140 TigerSuperman

I didn't know you were asking for reccomendations. You said you were gonna try out Yakuza and asked for a game with similar gameplay, so I said Shenmue, which is he closest. You didn't say you wanted reccomendations for other similar games to play. Anyway, I can't think of any others fairly similar to Yakuza and Shenmue, they're kinda "they're own thing" imo.

CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it  CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.itDudersaper
No actually we both got mixed up. I though you were responding to my LATEST question:

Open world games that are modern but not GTA clones? That's all I seem to find before the current gen.

We got mixed up.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1141 Dudersaper
Oh :P no harm done anyway so s'all good.
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1142 Eikichi-Onizuka
Open world games that are modern but not GTA clones? That's all I seem to find before the current gen.TigerSuperman
Bully Mercenaries Spider-Man 2 The Incredible Hulk: Maximum Destruction The Simpsons: Hit & Run Mercenaries and Simpsons are kinda like GTA but I wouldn't call them complete clones.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1143 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="TigerSuperman"]Open world games that are modern but not GTA clones? That's all I seem to find before the current gen.Eikichi-Onizuka
Bully Mercenaries Spider-Man 2 The Incredible Hulk: Maximum Destruction The Simpsons: Hit & Run Mercenaries and Simpsons are kinda like GTA but I wouldn't call them complete clones.

Ultimate Destruction has open areas to run around in, but it's not a completely open world from what I remember. There were seperate areas I remember like desert areas, city areas, desert towns, and military bases.

Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1144 Eikichi-Onizuka

[QUOTE="Eikichi-Onizuka"][QUOTE="TigerSuperman"]Open world games that are modern but not GTA clones? That's all I seem to find before the current gen.Emerald_Warrior

Ultimate Destruction has open areas to run around in, but it's not a completely open world from what I remember. There were seperate areas I remember like desert areas, city areas, desert towns, and military bases.

You're right about that, been a long time since I've played it.
Avatar image for PresidentRickor
PresidentRickor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1145 PresidentRickor
Member since 2013 • 51 Posts
Want a game with Tanks. Prefer American made, I promised no imports during my presidency.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1146 Emerald_Warrior

Want a game with Tanks. Prefer American made, I promised no imports during my presidency. PresidentRickor

Why does this place attract so many tools?

BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#1147 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

Want a game with Tanks. Prefer American made, I promised no imports during my presidency. PresidentRickor

"Combat" on the 2600. Fits your criteria.

Atari-2600-Combat-screenshot.jpg

Avatar image for SecretServiceGS
SecretServiceGS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1148 SecretServiceGS
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="PresidentRickor"]Want a game with Tanks. Prefer American made, I promised no imports during my presidency. Emerald_Warrior

EXCUSE ME Are you confronting the President? He asked for Tanks and if you can't provide, I am going to have to ask you to leave. Secretservice and all.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1149 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="PresidentRickor"]Want a game with Tanks. Prefer American made, I promised no imports during my presidency. SecretServiceGS

EXCUSE ME Are you confronting the President? He asked for Tanks and if you can't provide, I am going to have to ask you to leave. Secretservice and all.

If this isn't proof of this moron's mulitple troll accounts, I don't know what is.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1150 Dudersaper

39432268.jpg.