Legacy System recommendation thread.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#901 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Can anyone give me some PS1 game suggestions? Though I have a PS3, I'm going to get a PS1 soon for roughly $20 due to nostalgia. I never even actually owned a PS1 though (played it a bunch with neighbors) :P Anyways, here's what I already have/bought online: Final Fantasy VIII Final Fantasy IX What I'm already looking at buying: Vagrant Story Spyro(s) Twisted Metal Metal Gear Mr. Driller Final Fantasy VII if I can ever find it for less than $50 I'm looking for games of ANY genre321orez

I've played these games recently, never owning a PS1 in it's day, and never being a gamer before 2006:

If you haven't played MGS1 yet, GET IT WITHOUT HESSITATION. It has a fantastic soundtrack, incredibly well done storyline and a wonderful emotional ending, and it's a pretty short game, 15 hours.

Vagrant Story has many western RPG elements, it's a dungeon crawler in which you can add tons of equipment that'll show on your character. It's low on the story, but nevertheless, it's a action packed adventure with a unique combat system that in which you can move and not stay still.

Xenogears is the greatest JRPG ever made, without a doubt, and it's depth, complexity and scope is unrivaled in console RPGs. The story is about God and the origin of Man. 'Nuf said.

skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#902 skooks
Member since 2006 • 1411 Posts
[QUOTE="321orez"]Can anyone give me some PS1 game suggestions? Though I have a PS3, I'm going to get a PS1 soon for roughly $20 due to nostalgia. I never even actually owned a PS1 though (played it a bunch with neighbors) :P Anyways, here's what I already have/bought online: Final Fantasy VIII Final Fantasy IX What I'm already looking at buying: Vagrant Story Spyro(s) Twisted Metal Metal Gear Mr. Driller Final Fantasy VII if I can ever find it for less than $50 I'm looking for games of ANY genre

I'd recommend; Crash Bandicoot 1+2, Tekken 3, Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee, The Adventures of Alundra, Dino Crisis, Silent Hill, Grandia, Spider-Man, Parasite Eve 1+2, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, Strider 2, Einhander, Breath of Fire IV, and Ape Escape. Plenty of genres and games for you to try out :)
Mario2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#903 Mario2007
Member since 2005 • 2520 Posts
In a nostalgic mood. Need some opinions. Here are my options, and give me game advice too. 1. Buy a boatload of Dreamcast games 2. Buy a boatload of PS1 games 3. Buy a Sega Saturn and some games. 4. Buy a N64 and some games. Opinions?
rmaxmehta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#905 rmaxmehta
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
classic consoles rock!!!!!! and the ps2 will always remain LEGENDARY because of its HUGE game library!!!!!!
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#906 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

ps2/gc and xbox aren't legacy to me. console needs to be gone by at least 5 or more years for me.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#907 bultje112

In a nostalgic mood. Need some opinions. Here are my options, and give me game advice too. 1. Buy a boatload of Dreamcast games 2. Buy a boatload of PS1 games 3. Buy a Sega Saturn and some games. 4. Buy a N64 and some games. Opinions? Mario2007

how much money can you spend? and what do you already have for given consoles?

Mario2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#908 Mario2007

What do you guys think about this deal? $20 gets me a Sega Saturn with

Controller

All video and power cables

Sega Screams Demo Disk

Virtua Cop

Nights into Dreams

Daytona USA

Virtua Fighter 2

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#909 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

ps2/gc and xbox aren't legacy to me. console needs to be gone by at least 5 or more years for me.

bultje112

Umm... that's really no what this thread is about. and I beleive that both Xbox and GC had games stopped being made for them about five years ago...

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#910 bultje112

Controller

Sega Screams Demo Disk

Virtua Cop

Nights into Dreams

Daytona USA

Virtua Fighter 2

Mario2007

go get it now! that's a total steal

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#911 bultje112

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

turtlethetaffer

Umm... that's really no what this thread is about. and I beleive that both Xbox and GC had games stopped being made for them about five years ago...

I was responding to poster above me and games were still made 5 years ago

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#912 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

bultje112

I was responding to poster above me and games were still made 5 years ago

Um... okay. But like I said this really isn't the topic for it. This is for legacy game recomendations and Xbox, PS2 and GC are considered legacy platforms.

Mario2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#913 Mario2007

[QUOTE="Mario2007"]

Controller

Sega Screams Demo Disk

Virtua Cop

Nights into Dreams

Daytona USA

Virtua Fighter 2

bultje112

40 minute drive, but I think it might be worth it
KamikazeDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 137

User Lists: 1

#914 KamikazeDonut
Member since 2008 • 3016 Posts

I've been wanting to play an old school JRPG for quite some time I've played the hell out of all my Pokemon games, and I'am currently playing Phantasy Star IV, but I want to move on. There are two JRPG's in paticular that I'am looking at and that is Final Fantasy III ( or VI, whatever) and Chrono Trigger both games are on Wii Virtual Console at around 800 points. I've played Final Fantasy IV and X and enjoyed them both even though I've never gotten around to beating them and I've heard nothingbut amazing things about Chrono Trigger. Which one of these should I buy?

Please take difficulty into account I don't feel like playing a difficult JRPG just one that's challenging enough, thanks.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#915 bultje112

get chrono trigger

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#916 turtlethetaffer

get chrono trigger

bultje112

I think chrono Trigger would have the most replay value because of New Game+ and multiple endings. However FFVI is also really good so far.

Solid_Link22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#917 Solid_Link22
Member since 2006 • 5698 Posts

Hey guys. Recommend me some good PS2 jrpgs. I tried Persona games and they are not my style. They are too complicated IMO lol. These are the ones I have already played.

Final Fantasy X - XII

Dragon Quest VIII

Kingdom Hearts 1 - 2

Rogue Galaxy

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#919 bultje112

if you are a disney folklore guy get kingdom hearts, it's friendly but not too great. ffx is the best

AmericanMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#920 AmericanMuffin
Member since 2010 • 51 Posts
What are some fun Dreamcast games? I would like a platformer, but tell me any good Dreamcast game that you have played. I want to hear about the BEST Dreamcast game YOU have ever played.
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#921 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts
[QUOTE="bultje112"]

[QUOTE="Mario2007"]

Controller

Sega Screams Demo Disk

Virtua Cop

Nights into Dreams

Daytona USA

Virtua Fighter 2

Mario2007

40 minute drive, but I think it might be worth it

It is worth it! also you will need Sega's stunner light gun if you want to play virtua cop
game-ster23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#922 game-ster23
Member since 2009 • 17328 Posts

My family recently purchased a original Nintendo system at resale store. We would like some enjoyable titles for it, but we are not sure of those titles. We would like titles that are NOT on Nintendo Wii Virtual Console. Weown Tetris, Batman, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II, Pro Wrestling, and Metal Gear sofar. Any NES title recommendations for us?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#923 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41565 Posts
Anyone know if the PS2 has a game that's like Metroid Prime? You know, being a First Person Adventure (not just shooting, which I know the PS2 has a lot of those).
Seiki_sands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#924 Seiki_sands
Member since 2003 • 1973 Posts

Anyone know if the PS2 has a game that's like Metroid Prime? You know, being a First Person Adventure (not just shooting, which I know the PS2 has a lot of those).nintendoboy16

The closest I can think of is...

King's Field: The Ancient City- a first person action-RPG with puzzle solving elements, but it can't really be compared to Metroid Prime, which is a 100x faster in feel.

Trying to think of 1st person action games period that are more than "just" shooting and I'm not coming up with very many...

Breakdown (X-Box)
The Super Spy (NEO GEO)
Portal and Portal 2 (PC, X-Box 360, PS3)
Die by the Sword and Die by the Sword: Limb from Limb (PC)
The Chronicles of Riddick (X-Box, PC)
Red Steel and Red Steel 2 (Wii)
Deus Ex (PC)
Maken X (Dreamcast)(Actually this is on the PS2 as well, but they changed the view to 3rd Person.)
Hexen: Beyond Heretic (PC, PS1, SAT, N64)
System Shock & System Shock 2 (PC)
Bioshock & Bioshock 2 (PS3, X-Box360, & PC)
Mirror's Edge (X-Box 360, PS3, PC)
Zenoclash (PC, X-Box 360)
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic (PC, X-Box 360)

There is a 1st-Person Action RPG sub-category of course that includes the King's Field series, along with others like...

Dungeon Master (PC)
Elder Scrolls series (PC, PS3, X-Box, X-Box 360)
Arx Fatalis (X-Box, PC)
King's Field 1&2 (Playstation, PSP)
Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss (PC)
Vampire- The Masquerade series (PC)

There is a FP Horror Sub-Genre that eventually becomes more FPS and less adventure with titles like Doom and Left 4 Dead, some of the games that don't go quite that far toward action...

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (X-Box & PC)
Ju-On: The Grudge (Wii)
Clive Barker's Undying (PC)
Condemned: Criminal Origins (X-Box 360 & PC)
Condemned 2: Bloodshot (PS3 & X-Box 360)
Dimentium 1 & 2 (DS)
Deadly Premonition (X-Box 360 & PS3)
Penumbra series (PC)
Nosferatu: Wrath of the Malachi (PC)
Amnesia: Dark Descent (PC)

Some upcoming FP Action Adventure games

Dishonored (Upcoming PC, X-Box 360, and PS3 game)
Ryse (Upcoming X-Box 360 game)
Rise of Nightmares (Upcoming X-Box 360 game)

Seiki_sands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#925 Seiki_sands
Member since 2003 • 1973 Posts

My family recently purchased a original Nintendo system at resale store. We would like some enjoyable titles for it, but we are not sure of those titles. We would like titles that are NOT on Nintendo Wii Virtual Console. Weown Tetris, Batman, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II, Pro Wrestling, and Metal Gear sofar. Any NES title recommendations for us?

game-ster23

Not on the virtual console...

1. The Guardian Legend (from Compile, makers Blazing Lazers, Aleste, M.U.S.H.A., etc.) part small ship scrolling shoot em up, part top down dungeon exploration
2. The virtual console only has "Punch-Out!! featuring Mr. Dream", which has 100% less Mike Tyson than "Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!"
3. Destiny of an Emperior- S-RPG from Capcom set in the Romance of the Three Kingdoms era, with 150 recruitable characters.
4. The entire Dragon Warrior series is not on the VC, which is a crime.
5. Crystalis- An action RPG that at first glance looks like a Zelda clone, but there are experience points, spells and less puzzles.
6. Bionic Commando of all things is missing from the VC.
7. Disney's Duck Tales and Disney's Duck Tales 2, made back when Capcom made licensed platformers that weren't blah.
8. Disney's Rescure Rangers and Rescue Rangers 2, see #7
9. Archon- Based on Chess, but the capture of pieces is not guaranteed, as attacking pieces enter combat with the piece they attempt to take.
10. Battletoads- the extradordinarily difficult platform action game from Rare. I don't know if I would call it "enjoyable," but its a quality game.
11. I don't think the VC has any of Koei's strategy games, which are mostly decent, but unfortunately most are a bit rare, such games include Genghis Kahn, Nobunaga's Ambition Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Bandit Kings of Ancient China, L'empeurer, etc.
12. Gargoyle's Quest II is set in the Ghosts N Goblins, Ghouls N Ghosts universe, only you play as one of the bad guys from those games. It has some RPG elements, but like the other games in the series is mostly a side-scrolling action game.
13. Gun Nac- another good small ship scrolling shoot em up, again from Compile. Has some cutsey elements (robot bunny enemies)
14. The V.C. is missing most of the fun racing games, R.C. Pro-Am and its sequel, Rad Racer, Micro Machines
15. Maniac Mansion- the funny puzzling Adventure from Lucas Arts, also not on the VC.

Well, that's enough to start. I tried to post a variety of titles, some best played by experienced gamers and others that are fun for any age.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#926 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

Hm. Maybe I should pick up Radiant Historia.

HyruleanLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#927 HyruleanLink
Member since 2005 • 5221 Posts
I am looking for a game that was on the PS2 I believe. It a tactical sniper game where you have to take in bullet drop, altitude, and wind. It is very realistic. I heard about it awhile back but I recall the title. I think it is like the new released Sniper: Ghost Warrior but on a older platform.
kingmav222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#928 kingmav222
Member since 2004 • 493 Posts
I am looking for a game that was on the PS2 I believe. It a tactical sniper game where you have to take in bullet drop, altitude, and wind. It is very realistic. I heard about it awhile back but I recall the title. I think it is like the new released Sniper: Ghost Warrior but on a older platform.HyruleanLink
Sniper Elite?
Just-Breathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#929 Just-Breathe
Member since 2011 • 3130 Posts
[QUOTE="HyruleanLink"]I am looking for a game that was on the PS2 I believe. It a tactical sniper game where you have to take in bullet drop, altitude, and wind. It is very realistic. I heard about it awhile back but I recall the title. I think it is like the new released Sniper: Ghost Warrior but on a older platform.kingmav222
Sniper Elite?

Aye, sounds like sniper elite to me too.
HyruleanLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#930 HyruleanLink
Member since 2005 • 5221 Posts
[QUOTE="kingmav222"][QUOTE="HyruleanLink"]I am looking for a game that was on the PS2 I believe. It a tactical sniper game where you have to take in bullet drop, altitude, and wind. It is very realistic. I heard about it awhile back but I recall the title. I think it is like the new released Sniper: Ghost Warrior but on a older platform.Just-Breathe
Sniper Elite?

Aye, sounds like sniper elite to me too.

Thanks. This does look like the game. I just have to find it now.:P
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#931 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

Hi I just figured out my brother has a N64 and he's at college so its kind of mine :) what games do you think I should start out with (any games welcome except for fighting games that require hard combos :P). Thanks!

Just-Breathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#932 Just-Breathe
Member since 2011 • 3130 Posts
Goldeneye, banjo-kazooie, Mario 64, Zelda: Ocarina of time...
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#933 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
Gamestop's having a B2B2 on PS2 games. Saying to "increase your collection." Incentive enough for me. I need some really good games that don't have chances of getting PS3 HD Collections. I only have a few games otherwise that are PS2 games.
ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#934 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts

which would they be?

So here's the deal, I have a lot of games, and my shelf space dedicated to PS2 games can only hold four more games, but my amazon wish list for PS2 games easilly surpasses 20 games, so i'm just going to list here the ones that I'm mostly leaning to:

Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana

Ar Tonelico

Ar Tonelico 2

Atelier Iris 2

Atelier Iris 3

Baroque

Dark Cloud

Dark Chronicle

Clock Tower 3

Digital Devil Saga

Digital Devil Saga 2

Fatal Fury Battle Archives 4-in-1

Forbiden Siren 1

Forbiden Siren 2

Grim Grimoire

Growlanser

King's Field IV

King of Fighters Collection: 5-in-1

Metal Slug Anthology

Midway Arcade treasures 2

Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis

Rogue Galaxy

Project zero 3

Primal

Street Fighter Alpha Anthology

Suikoden 3

Suikoden 4

Suikoden 5

Suikoden Tactics

Shadow Hearts

Shadow Hearts the new world

Shadow Hearts: Covenant

Taito Legends 2

Trapt

Wipeout Pulse

Wizardry: Tales of the Forsaken Land

Wild Arms 3

Wild Arms 4

Wild Arms 5

remember though, I want VARIETY, so don't recommend me four RPG's in a row

EDIT: my topic was locked, despite, imo the recommendation sticky is more harmfull then good, people are most likely to ignore your post here then they to ignore a thread, thank you

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#935 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
KING'S FIELD!!! I've been looking for that name al day, it's been driving my nuts. Thanks! Also, it will be hard notto recommend 4 RPGs, since most in that list are. In any case,Dark Chronicle is probably the best, most varied game on PS2, so definitely get that one, no exception.
tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#936 tjoeb123
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts
Because of Capcom screwing Mega Man fans such as I, there are no MM games in the near future. Because of that, I'd thought I'd try games of the non-Classic and non-X series. Like Battle Network. I own a barely working GBA and (I know this is Legacy Platforms but I need to say this) a DSi (without a GBA slot), and I'd like to play at least one of the Battle Network games, not counting Network Transmission or Star Force (I consider that to be its own series, like the Zero series which I also intend on playing with the Zero Collection). So, without further ado, if I were to play any one Battle Network game (the version doesn't matter on the GBA), which one should it be? Keep in mind I have never played a BN game before, other than a short rental of Network Transmission. (And yes, I'm now starting to play the Legends series, but not in the way I'd hoped. Again, blame Capcom...)
tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#937 tjoeb123
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts
ohthemanatee: How exactly can we recommend variety if half of your list is RPGs?
blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#938 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

I was playing demon's souls again the other day and was wondering if there are any similar games on the ps2 or Gamecube. Xbox recommendations are ok too, but it's harder to find xbox games in stores these days. I'm looking for something that has a distinct atmosphere (sort of like the dark atmosphere in DS), is challenging, has a pretty good length, and even though I'm not a big graphics person I'd like the graphics to be pretty good.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#939 turtlethetaffer

I was playing demon's souls again the other day and was wondering if there are any similar games on the ps2 or Gamecube. Xbox recommendations are ok too, but it's harder to find xbox games in stores these days. I'm looking for something that has a distinct atmosphere (sort of like the dark atmosphere in DS), is challenging, has a pretty good length, and even though I'm not a big graphics person I'd like the graphics to be pretty good.

blueboxdoctor

Get Zelda's Collector's Edition and play Majora's Mask. While it's pretty different from DS (from what I understand) the atmosphere is the best in a game, probably the darkest atmosphere ever, it has a lot of sidequests to complete and can take pretty long by itself, and it's tough.

forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#940 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts

So, without further ado, if I were to play any one Battle Network game (the version doesn't matter on the GBA), which one should it be? Keep in mind I have never played a BN game before, other than a short rental of Network Transmission.tjoeb123
Frankly, you could probably play any of them and 6 would make the most sense since it's got all the gameplay improvements/additions made throughout the series. One thing to note though is that the story proceeds in a chronological manner and the final game involves points from past games and taking that account I would reccomend to start with 3 (and then go backwards if you feel like you want to see something with more detail) or even start all the way back at 1.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#941 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
Only thing I know of are the King's Field games. King's Field: The Ancient City is on PS2 while I and II are PS1.
KillerJuan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#942 KillerJuan77
Member since 2007 • 3823 Posts

Rule Of Rose, yay or nay for 50 bucks? I've heard horrible things about the controls but I've also heard that it haves and amazing atmosphere and one of the best plots in horror gaming history. The problem is the effing price, is it really that unique?

Thanks. This does look like the game. I just have to find it now.:PHyruleanLink

The PC and PS2 versions are very cheap, but the Xbox version is a bit more expensive, regardless of the plattform you are going to get an amazing game.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#943 turtlethetaffer

Rule Of Rose, yay or nay for 50 bucks? I've heard horrible things about the controls but I've also heard that it haves and amazing atmosphere and one of the best plots in horror gaming history. The problem is the effing price, is it really that unique?

[QUOTE="HyruleanLink"]Thanks. This does look like the game. I just have to find it now.:PKillerJuan77

The PC and PS2 versions are very cheap, but the Xbox version is a bit more expensive, regardless of the plattform you are going to get an amazing game.

Never played Rule of Rose, but I read the plot and it's very cool. From what I understand, it's not worth 50 bucks, though. Unless you really want to play it, of course.

memphishigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#944 memphishigh
Member since 2006 • 269 Posts

What is the best wrestling game for the original Xbox?

supergp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#945 supergp17

PS2

Final Fantasy X

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

Gran Turismo 3

God Of War

Final Fantasy XII

Tomb Raider Legend

Ico

Okami

Shadow of the Colossus

Kingdom Hearts

Can't really comment on the other systems too much.

Roweanos313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#947 Roweanos313
Member since 2009 • 593 Posts

ok so i want to get a gba game but i can only afford to get one of them. which should i get? legend of zelda a link to the past, or super mario advance. sure you might think this is an obvious choice but i am really conflicted on which game i really want

supergp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#948 supergp17

ok so i want to get a gba game but i can only afford to get one of them. which should i get? legend of zelda a link to the past, or super mario advance. sure you might think this is an obvious choice but i am really conflicted on which game i really want

Roweanos313

Get Final Fantasy Tactics!

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#949 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

Roweanos313
Of those I would say Link to the Past.
cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#950 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

On a Retro kick lately, looking for some good inexpensive RPGs on the GBA, Whaddya got for me?