Dark Souls Official Thread - Artorias of the Abyss comes to consoles on 10/24!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

1HTRd.jpg

Release- Consoles already released, PC version due on August 24th

News and Previews:

9/19/12- Artorias of the Abyss hits consoles on 10/24!

4/11/12-https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jzSqBfPQIEk" title="https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jzSqBfPQIEk">PC Trailer

New Bosses - Including Artorias of Abyss, Chimera of Tomb, and more

PVP Online Matchmaking System - Quick matching for co-op or PVP
New Areas ? Including Oolacile Tomb, Old Ruins and more
New Enemies ? Including Abyss Guard, Chained Prisoner and more
New NPCs ? Including Hawkeye Gough and more
New Weapons and Armor ? Equip some from the new bosses, enemies, and NPCs

3/20/11- PC Version in the works!

nn63N.jpg

9/28/11- Dark Souls sold 279, 567 copies in its first week over in Japan

9/27/11- Here is a new trailer called All Saints Day

9/7/11- Tons of new info. Famitsu gameplay details, previews from Destructoid, Gamereactor and PSU(This one is a bit spoilery).

9/6/11- Dengeki's reviewers gave the game good scores. 90/90/95/95

8/16/11-Here is the Gamescom trailer for Dark Souls.

7/9/11- The new Famitsu has some new screens from Dark Souls. I also added a video about theGravelord.

R3C3w.jpg

6/7/11-Gameplay from the E3 show floor.

6/7/11- I added some new screens, here is one:

7peUn.jpg

6/3/11-E3 Trailer!

5/11/11-Kotaku has a great writeup on what they saw yesterday.

5/11/11-The official site for the game is up, and it is awesome. Preparetodie.com They've got details on the collector's edition:

PVfMB.jpg

The collectors edition will be limited to people who preorder the game, and will cost $60.:)

Siliconera has a writeup on the oath system for Dark Souls.

While you're exploring the world, your character will have opportunities to make pacts with people, presumably non player characters, and other things. These pacts are not like joining a guild or a team in a MMORPG. You will make multiple pacts in Dark Soulsand these guide how you roleplay with your character. Players will naturally find pacts in the game, although some pacts are rare and difficult to find.

Pacts have an effect when you play online. Since you have to decide whether to support or not support a side certain players will be friends and others foes. Even though player choice is a key part ofDark Souls, the game does not have a deep story. You play as an immortal, a fitting character type since the produce remphasized there is no safe zoneinDark Souls, who has left society on his or her own accord.

Because the team wants players to rejoice when they find healing items, recovery items will be carefully placed in the world. Instead of searching for precious herbs, you can create recovery items by using the bonfire system. This should help beginners ease their way intoDark Souls, which is designed to be a very difficult game.

Since the team wants players to discover elements in the game on their own they have been very cautious about releasing new information. Roughly, 1/5 of the total information the team plans on divulging has been released to the press.Dark Souls is nearing completion and while there is a lot of pressure to live up to fan expectations, the team is excited about creating the game.

Famitsu Details

Reviews:

Joystiq gives it 4.5 out of 5.

Gamespot gives it a 9.5!

Eurogamer gives it a 9.0.

The Guardian has reviewed it and given it a 4/5.

IGN: 9.0

Dengeki: 90/90/95/95

Famitsu: 9/9/9/10

Games TM: 9/10

Xbox Magazine: 5/5

Video:

Gameplay from the E3 show floor!

E3 Trailer

Trailer #1

Trailer #2

Bartholomew Trailer

Full Prologue Trailer

Screens:

PSZJq.png

T3LzO.png

7js3Q.png

ZiafA.png

2h588w9.jpg

2d1juc9.jpg

2rrkspg.jpg

f0us61.jpgmcvw53.jpg

2iuz0vq.jpg

metal_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 metal_zombie
Member since 2004 • 2288 Posts
cool that they took out soul mode didn't like losing point or whatever they called it. Hopefully they make it easier to join your friends i had a hard time.
TheMoreYouOwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TheMoreYouOwn
Member since 2010 • 3927 Posts
One of my most anticipated this year. Loved Demon's Souls. And that metal rhino looks killer.
ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#4 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

Between this and Skyrim, I am going to be in gamer's bliss.

_Dez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 _Dez_
Member since 2006 • 2398 Posts

The oath system sounds really interesting. It looks like this will replace world tendency, and from what I've heard there won't be a Soul Mode this time around either, which should take some of the risk out of being killed in PvP combat.

rragnaar

I wonder how you'll go about avoiding PvP combat this time around. I got pretty used to playing in soul form, not having to worry about invaders and dealing slightly more damage to enemies. I would like avoid invading players if possible. Most of the time I fought against them in DS, I was swiftly beaten.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rragnaar

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]

The oath system sounds really interesting. It looks like this will replace world tendency, and from what I've heard there won't be a Soul Mode this time around either, which should take some of the risk out of being killed in PvP combat.

_Dez_

I wonder how you'll go about avoiding PvP combat this time around. I got pretty used to playing in soul form, not having to worry about invaders and dealing slightly more damage to enemies. I would like avoid invading players if possible. Most of the time I fought against them in DS, I was swiftly beaten.

I'm sure there will be some way to avoid it. If nothing else, I'll do what I did in Demon's Souls and just sign out of PSN.
AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#7 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

That boar, genuinely freaks me out....

Love the visuals.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

Not gonna lie. I'm disappointed that they got rid of soul mode. I liked that dying had really strong consequences, but you could make it work for you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
Member since 2010 • 1750 Posts
i'm still hoping for a cross platform play between 360 and ps3
Kori-san

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Kori-san
Member since 2010 • 604 Posts

One of the most intense experiences I've had in my 18 years of gaming has been fighting for my life from another player invading my world, with so much at stake. I'm talking 30 min fights of dodging and healing till one of us slipped, carrying thousands of souls, and winning or losing with integrity and honor. No game has sparked this since of urgent need to live for me like Demon SOuls has.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#11 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

Good news on soul mode being gone (it never really served a purpose anyway other than being an extra gameplay wrinkle just for the sake of itself), although I don't know if I'm keen on always being open to invasion and the mention of no real story doesn't sound promising.

I mean, Demon's Souls didn't really have a story anyway (and I didn't care about it) but it would be nice to have some sort of motivation.

Then again, I guess all I'm really looking for in Dark Souls is an improved menu system and more level variety.

edit - and no goddamn swamps that constantly poison me as I wander around in them.

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

One of my most anticipated this year. Loved Demon's Souls. And that metal rhino looks killer.TheMoreYouOwn

Rhino? I think you should learn you animals :P

Goods_Merchant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 Goods_Merchant
Member since 2009 • 953 Posts

Demon's Souls is one of my favourite games, and I am really looking forward to Dark Souls. Also, I recently went through the Demon's Souls Union, and unfotunately it was dead. I think that since it's spiritual succesor is on the way, there should be either a revitilization of the DS union or the creation of a new union for Dark Souls. If anyone is interested, please let me know.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rragnaar

Demon's Souls is one of my favourite games, and I am really looking forward to Dark Souls. Also, I recently went through the Demon's Souls Union, and unfotunately it was dead. I think that since it's spiritual succesor is on the way, there should be either a revitilization of the DS union or the creation of a new union for Dark Souls. If anyone is interested, please let me know.

Goods_Merchant

I turned my User Created Board into a Demon's Souls board. It is dead now, but it doesn't have to be.

Goods_Merchant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 Goods_Merchant
Member since 2009 • 953 Posts

[QUOTE="Goods_Merchant"]

rragnaar

I turned my User Created Board into a Demon's Souls board. It is dead now, but it doesn't have to be.

I agree.

ShishcabobShig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ShishcabobShig
Member since 2010 • 191 Posts

cant wait for Dark Souls to come out.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rragnaar

New trailer! The game will be out this October.

TommyWieseau81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TommyWieseau81
Member since 2011 • 455 Posts
New pair of pants needed :D
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44210 Posts
Awesome. The oath system sounds cool. I too would love to see cross-platform gameplay between 360 and PS3 but I seriously doubt that will happen so I won't be holding my breath. Can't wait to get this.
Easports48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Easports48
Member since 2005 • 1761 Posts
YESSSSS. My birthday is in October. I know what I am getting me for a gift..
ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ExoticAnimal
Member since 2010 • 39796 Posts

I was going to post this new trailer but seems you've beaten me. Looks awesome!

DLazarek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 DLazarek
Member since 2007 • 55 Posts

Not gonna lie. I'm disappointed that they got rid of soul mode. I liked that dying had really strong consequences, but you could make it work for you.

Phoenix534
No soul mode? I played most of Demon Souls dead...hehe
HitomiChan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 HitomiChan
Member since 2009 • 15305 Posts

and no goddamn swamps that constantly poison me as I wander around in them.

DJ_Lae

this!.. i hate that swamp and giant trolls.. :x

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#24 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Still need to play Demon's Souls.
_Dez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 _Dez_

It's a trailer that pretty much shows the player dying in multiple, horrible ways, and I love it. Incredible.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 rragnaar

They just posted some new screens on Facebook.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 rragnaar

The official site for the game is up, and it is awesome. Preparetodie.comThey've got details on the collector's edition:

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

New trailer! The game will be out this October.

rragnaar

Lol its pretty funny how often hero dies in that trailer. Not something u usually see. They are really committed to making a difficult game again :)!

Edit: And the artsyle is truly spectacular!

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 branketra
"preparetodie".com Sounds like a challenge.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#31 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I like the visuals, but Demons Souls wasnt compelling enough to finish.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 rragnaar

Kotaku has a great writeup on what they saw yesterday.

Gameplay spoilers below:

"The traps don't stop there. At the entrance to the castle, the knight opened up a treasure chest, revealing a bounty of souls within. But his next attempt to open a chest resulted in a horrifying discovery. The chest opened, revealing a pair of spindly arms, rows of bloody fangs and a flopping, bloody tongue, pulling the player inside for a chew. It was a grislier version of a Mimic fromDragon Quest, a beast disguised as booty. The player antagonized it, swinging at it with his hefty large sword. That really pissed off the treasure chest mimic, which then stood upright, now twice the height of the player. It kicked and scratched and roared, stronger than its thin frame implied. Eventually, it went down, reduced to a pile of souls."

There is a lot more at the link.

Some highlights:
- Details on Sen's Castle, an environment that's full of spike traps, treasure chest mimics, those rolling boulders you've probably seen
- Snakemen are your primary foe in Sen's Castle - have some Royal Lotus handy
- Looks like you can upgrade armor this time as well as weapons
- Some weapons can cast spells - there was a sword with a fireball attack, for example

At the end of the article, he mentions the humanity characteristic. It sounds really cool.

"Added to the list of character attributes is a new Humanity stat, which has some effect on a player's human nature. InDark Souls, you're already dead, with your appearance fluctuating from human to more corpse-like, with that Humanity characteristic having some unexplained impact. Namco Bandai reps said that players can "give some of their humanity" at Beacon Fires, a mechanic we don't yet understand, but hope to when the game is shown in online form at E3 2011."

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 rragnaar

I like the visuals, but Demons Souls wasnt compelling enough to finish.Allicrombie
Troll.:P

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

"The traps don't stop there. At the entrance to the castle, the knight opened up a treasure chest, revealing a bounty of souls within. But his next attempt to open a chest resulted in a horrifying discovery. The chest opened, revealing a pair of spindly arms, rows of bloody fangs and a flopping, bloody tongue, pulling the player inside for a chew. It was a grislier version of a Mimic fromDragon Quest, a beast disguised as booty. The player antagonized it, swinging at it with his hefty large sword. That really pissed off the treasure chest mimic, which then stood upright, now twice the height of the player. It kicked and scratched and roared, stronger than its thin frame implied. Eventually, it went down, reduced to a pile of souls."

rragnaar

That does it, I'm going dark on this game. Why spoil traps like that :(? I mean suprise is key for it to work.

No offense. Dumb ofme to read threads like this cause I'm a bit sensitive on spoilers :).

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 rragnaar

That does it, I'm going dark on this game. Why spoil traps like that :(? I mean suprise is key for it to work.

No offense. Dumb ofme to read threads like this cause I'm a bit sensitive on spoilers :).

Sushiglutton

I'm sorry. I'll put a little spoiler warning in front of that and anything like it going forward.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#36 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

[QUOTE="Allicrombie"]I like the visuals, but Demons Souls wasnt compelling enough to finish.rragnaar

Troll.:P

Haters Gonna Hate, =P
Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

Preparetodie.com

rragnaar

I'm sorry, but that's just trying too hard.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23920 Posts

October cant come soon enough. I hope they stick to their promise that Dark Souls will be harder than Demon's Souls, Demons Souls was a walk in the park. Either way, this looks like another highly atmospheric game that will consume my soul yet again. Another must buy on my list.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 rragnaar

Here is a better look at that collector's edition:

I think it is so cool that anyone who preorders the game gets all this stuff for free. I'd have paid $70 for it easily.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 branketra

I think it is so cool that anyone who preorders the game gets all this stuff for free. I'd have paid $70 for it easily.

rragnaar
Agreed.
SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts

This sounds like an awesome game. Unfortunately I have yet to plat Demon Souls, (one of these days) but I do plan on checking this out. The challenge seems like a great way to keep me immersed in a game seeing as most get too easy once you learn how to play.

ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ExoticAnimal
Member since 2010 • 39796 Posts

So basically if we pre-order the game, we get all that for free? Sounds too good to be true.

_Dez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 _Dez_

Are you sure that Collector's Edition is regular price? I would have expected it to be the usual $70 and above for stuff like this, but I can't seem to find any info on it. I'm more than ready to pre-order this baby, but Amazon hasn't updated some info (says it's releasing December this year), and no word on the CE either.

If pre-ordering the game gives you all that stuff, heck yeah, I was already there day one. If it isn't and is priced ten bucks more... then I am strongly considering the CE anyway. I must have this game.

Ritard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44 Ritard
Member since 2004 • 1180 Posts

Are you sure that Collector's Edition is regular price? I would have expected it to be the usual $70 and above for stuff like this, but I can't seem to find any info on it. I'm more than ready to pre-order this baby, but Amazon hasn't updated some info (says it's releasing December this year), and no word on the CE either.

If pre-ordering the game gives you all that stuff, heck yeah, I was already there day one. If it isn't and is priced ten bucks more... then I am strongly considering the CE anyway. I must have this game.

_Dez_

Yep, its a regular priced $60 game. On amazon they have a note that says pre-orders will be bumped up to the collectors edition free of charge. I'm not sure if there's a cut-off date but presumably the collectors edition will be more expensive if you buy it after release.

_Dez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 _Dez_

Yep, its a regular priced $60 game. On amazon they have a note that says pre-orders will be bumped up to the collectors edition free of charge. I'm not sure if there's a cut-off date but presumably the collectors edition will be more expensive if you buy it after release.

Ritard

Thanks. Yeah, I found out they made that update a few days ago, but I couldn't find any info on it at the time. In any case, I have the game pre-ordered now. Looking foreword to October.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 rragnaar

Eurogamer has a great preview of the game. It covers a lot of the stuff that that Kotaku preview covered, but in a bit more detail.

gameplay spoiler warning

Towards the end of the demo, we get to see a little of the game's improved sense of scale. Emerging onto the roof of the dungeon, we're suddenly lost under a huge sky, surrounded by mountains, rivers, forests, and the vast spiralling walls and parapets of a truly monstrous citadel. It's a world in which, as ever, we're told we'll be able to explore to our leisure.

For a minute, Dark Souls seems to be giving into an uncharacteristic moment of quiet grandeur. It doesn't last. Within seconds a giant man on a distant walkway has noticed us and starts chucking rocks our way.

Rocks that explode.

Eurogamer
I really wish we could see video of this.

Sotonian_Rebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Sotonian_Rebel
Member since 2006 • 371 Posts

Seeing the collectors/pre order edition has peaked my intrst on the game, ive only ever seen demon souls being streamed live online so ive not actually played. Should i play that before this?

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 rragnaar

Seeing the collectors/pre order edition has peaked my intrst on the game, ive only ever seen demon souls being streamed live online so ive not actually played. Should i play that before this?

Sotonian_Rebel
Demon's Souls is great, and you can usually get it for pretty cheap. I've seen it on sale on Amazon for $15.00 off and on lately. It is $20.00 right now. The games take place in different universes, so you wouldn't miss anything by jumping straight into Dark Souls, but all the same, for as cheap as Demon's Souls is and as good as it is, I'd recommend trying it out.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 rragnaar

Here is a lengthy interview along with a lot of gameplay footage. The guy playing isn't terribly good, but it definitely looks like cIassic Demon's Souls radness. The new fire spell looks pretty effective. I wish they'd had a more seasoned player controlling the demonstration. He makes it look clunky and doesn't seem to know when to attack or block.