Dark Souls Official Thread - Artorias of the Abyss comes to consoles on 10/24!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

_Dez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1201 _Dez_
Member since 2006 • 2398 Posts

Games for Windows Live? I'm curious, what exactly is the problem here? I only have one game with GFWL, Arkham City, but I don't really have any problem with it.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#1202 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts

Games for Windows Live? I'm curious, what exactly is the problem here? I only have one game with GFWL, Arkham City, but I don't really have any problem with it.

_Dez_
I'm also confused about this.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#1203 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

The Prepare To Die Edition is going to be on Steam and GFWL, and the new content will hit the PS3 and 360 this Winter for $15. Good news all around.:)

I can't stop playing this game. I'm on my third character in the last month. I need to get serious and work on getting that platinum trophy.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1204 rragnaar

Here are some new screens:

C1Gyq.jpg

kKjhY.jpg

aqYAB.jpg

1QK8W.jpg

FPUW8.jpg

vImVX.jpg

YED3q.jpg

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1205 rragnaar

RPG Fan got some hands on time with the game, and they were told that the new content should add about 4-5 hours to the game. I wonder if that is 4-5 hours straight through with minimal deaths, or if they are accounting for people dying a lot. Dark Souls gets a lot shorter when you stop sucking at it.

Aside from all of the existing Dark Souls content, the Prepare to Die Edition will include approximately three new areas, which can be accessed after finishing a series of tasks in the mid-to-late-game of the main storyline. Once the tasks are completed, a portal will open up that allows players to access the new areas and story bits. In these new areas, you will travel to the past and learn about the titular Artorias of the Abyss. For those players who found the lore of Dark Souls to their liking, this should fill in some rather interesting gaps!

Other talking points of the new content included several new bosses (at least one of which has a tail that can be sliced off and used as a weapon), and a number of new weapons and weapon types. All in all, the new content is estimated to make up about 4-5 hours of gameplay.

Performance-wise, the game ran smoothly in the demo footage. While the game will not offer high resolution textures, it will offer a full range of scalable settings exclusive to the PC version. Additionally, I was flat-out promised that Blighttown will run as smoothly as the rest of the game.

RPGFAN

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#1206 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
I've been playing Demon Souls lately. I think Dark Souls will be my next purchase. The idea of PvP Demon Souls-like gameplay sounds pretty sweet.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1207 rragnaar

Here's a new trailer for the Prepare To Die Edition fresh from Gamescom. They also released some rad screens.

HVo5P.jpg?1

HXLUF.jpg?1

4GmRr.jpg?1

sUOl4.jpg?1

dCjAC.jpg?1

DqDOF.jpg?1

yjZh3.jpg?1

I can't wait for this to come to consoles.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#1208 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Think I'll wait for the new content to arrive before I pick up Dark Souls. It looks so good.

Is there a date for that yet?

gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1209 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

Think I'll wait for the new content to arrive before I pick up Dark Souls. It looks so good.

Is there a date for that yet?

c_rake

The PC version hits Aug 24, the extra content will head to consoles later this year. That's what's been reported so far. Should be great stuff.

gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1210 gpuFX16

May I also just say that I'm glad I did try Dark Souls. I think it may be my favorite game that I've played this generation now. Looking forward to more boss fights!

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1211 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Those screens are looking sexy, I gotta pick me a copy of the game again for the new content. I like the last thing with the black figures with the white outlines looks creepy.
Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1212 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

May I also just say that I'm glad I did try Dark Souls. I think it may be my favorite game that I've played this generation now. Looking forward to more boss fights!

gpuFX16

same here.. i wasnt even interested in DS when it released back in october but picked it up a week later.. ended up being my favorite game this gen.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1213 rragnaar

Artorias of the Abyss comes to consoles on October 24! I can't wait. This DLC is going to make this holiday cheaper for me as I'll be too busy with Dark Souls to care about other stuff.:)

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1214 c_rakestraw  Moderator

Artorias of the Abyss comes to consoles on October 24! I can't wait. This DLC is going to make this holiday cheaper for me as I'll be too busy with Dark Souls to care about other stuff.:)

rragnaar

Sounds like that date only applies to Europe -- at least according to GameSpot, at any rate.

_Dez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1215 _Dez_
Member since 2006 • 2398 Posts

Just wanted to chime in that the dlc is incredibly good. A lot of the stuff was most likely unfinished content, as some of the enemy designs were already in the art book from the collector's addition. It took about 5 hours to complete overall, and that was slowly exploring as much of the new area as I could. Didn't get too hung up on the bosses, but they are challenging and excellent additions.

Great stuff, I only wish there was more.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#1216 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44396 Posts
Awesome. I can't wait to pick up the dlc for this game. It's really cool that it'll be out in time for Halloween. :D
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1217 c_rakestraw  Moderator

October 23rd is the date for the US release. Sweet! Now I just have to make sure I can get a hold of a copy.

gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1218 gpuFX16

More Dark Souls... good enough for me. I'll be ready and willing when it hits.

Headpopper333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1219 Headpopper333
Member since 2009 • 924 Posts

I've been playing Demon Souls lately. I think Dark Souls will be my next purchase. The idea of PvP Demon Souls-like gameplay sounds pretty sweet.BranKetra

How could you possibly own Demon's Souls, enjoy the PVP, and not own Dark Souls? You're really missing out, the covenants in Dark Souls add so much to the PVP, it's so awesome.

Headpopper333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1220 Headpopper333
Member since 2009 • 924 Posts

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]

c_rake

Sounds like that date only applies to Europe -- at least according to GameSpot, at any rate.

I can't wait for this, Dark Souls is my favorite game this gen along with Demon's Souls.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19c359a3789
deactivated-5b19c359a3789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1221 deactivated-5b19c359a3789
Member since 2002 • 7785 Posts

Hurray for additional content that doesn't feel like it was done by the companies interns, ala Bioware and Bethesda, et al..

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1222 rragnaar
Is anyone else building a new character for this release. I've got a pyromancer/ninja type character in the works. I'm hoping to beat the Gaping Dragon and go down and ring the second bell tonight.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1223 c_rakestraw  Moderator

Anyone know if the Prepare to Die edition is coming to consoles in the States? Heard some talk about it coming out in other territories, but haven't been able to confirm whether it'll be out in the US or not.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1224 rragnaar

Anyone know if the Prepare to Die edition is coming to consoles in the States? Heard some talk about it coming out in other territories, but haven't been able to confirm whether it'll be out in the US or not.

c_rake

From what I saw, it is only in Europe. Fortunately, I think you can get the original printing for fairly cheap and the DLC is only $15. I'm taking a nap, eating dinner and then diving into the DLC. I'll post some thoughts when I get a chance.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#1225 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

Is anyone else building a new character for this release. I've got a pyromancer/ninja type character in the works. I'm hoping to beat the Gaping Dragon and go down and ring the second bell tonight.rragnaar

I did that with almost the exact same character build. I was a Pyromancer but I don't bother with spells anymore. My character is such an odd build. I use a +15 Claymore and wear heavy/medium armor with that ninja ring (forget what it's called) so I flip around all over the place.

gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1226 gpuFX16

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]Is anyone else building a new character for this release. I've got a pyromancer/ninja type character in the works. I'm hoping to beat the Gaping Dragon and go down and ring the second bell tonight.IndianaPwns39

I did that with almost the exact same character build. I was a Pyromancer but I don't bother with spells anymore. My character is such an odd build. I use a +15 Claymore and wear heavy/medium armor with that ninja ring (forget what it's called) so I flip around all over the place.

^Dark Wood Grain Ring. Fun stuff- I use it on my Wanderer (flip... flip... flip...). I was also thinking about making a pyromancer, coincidentally. Trying to use weapons I did'nt with my previous characters. Thinking hammers and such.

I forgot the DLC hits tomorrow. I'm not going to have time for any of the new releases I just snagged.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1227 c_rakestraw  Moderator

From what I saw, it is only in Europe. Fortunately, I think you can get the original printing for fairly cheap and the DLC is only $15.rragnaar

Yeah, I thought so. Still, worth asking.

Really hope I can find work soon. I need this game.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#1229 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

[QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"]

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]Is anyone else building a new character for this release. I've got a pyromancer/ninja type character in the works. I'm hoping to beat the Gaping Dragon and go down and ring the second bell tonight.gpuFX16

^Dark Wood Grain Ring. Fun stuff- I use it on my Wanderer (flip... flip... flip...). I was also thinking about making a pyromancer, coincidentally. Trying to use weapons I did'nt with my previous characters. Thinking hammers and such.

I forgot the DLC hits tomorrow. I'm not going to have time for any of the new releases I just snagged.

Yes, that's the one. It just looks funny given my character build. Still a lot of fun to use, though after beating the game a few times it was hard to get used to the fluid dodging that ring offered.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1230 rragnaar

Starting the DLC is a trick in and of itself:

[spoiler]

1. You have to beat the Hydra.

2. Find the hidden cave behind where the Hydra was, defeat the crystal golem and free Dusk of Oolacile.

3. Make it to Anor Londo, defeat Orenstein and Smough, get the Lordvessel and place it.

4. Go to the Duke's Archives and defeat the crystal golem standing in the corner at the top of the first elevator.

5. Travel back to the cave where you freed Dusk. Now there is a portal to Oolacile there.

[/spoiler]

It opens with a wonderful bossfight. The bonfire past it is gorgeous too. The enemies seem harder, and a bit smarter. The crazy pitchfork dudes are good at flanking you. LOVE IT!