Dark Souls Official Thread - Artorias of the Abyss comes to consoles on 10/24!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1151 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
[QUOTE="rragnaar"]My advice would be to throw down a summon sign and help people beat those bosses. You'll get a lot of souls and you'll get some humanity upon successfully helping someone else beat Ornstein and Smough. Getting summoned is great because there is no real risk in terms of failure. You don't lose souls or humanity if you die in someone else's world. This should give you an opportunity to level up a bit and get a handle on the enemies in that area, particularly the bosses.BadNewsBen
I hadn't even thought of that. Thanks man, I will definitely be doing this tomorrow.

Good luck! It gets to be a lot of fun. I've spent a good 15 hours in that area between the two characters I've beaten the game with. You'll get to feel like an Anor Londo tour guide eventually. A lot of people have a hard time with those bosses, so you shouldn't have to wait long to get summoned.
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#1152 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

Getting invaded in Anor Londo is not fun. :?

Something I discovered in NG+: I was fighting the Iron Golem boss in Sen's Fortress and had an NPC phantom with me. All of a sudden, the boss gets knocked off the platform, ending the fight, and it was the NPC who did it. :lol: Totally caught me by surprise!

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1153 rragnaar

Getting invaded in Anor Londo is not fun. :?

Something I discovered in NG+: I was fighting the Iron Golem boss in Sen's Fortress and had an NPC phantom with me. All of a sudden, the boss gets knocked off the platform, ending the fight, and it was the NPC who did it. :lol: Totally caught me by surprise!

King9999
Wow... I didn't know that could happen.
BadNewsBen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#1154 BadNewsBen
Member since 2009 • 1493 Posts
[QUOTE="BadNewsBen"][QUOTE="rragnaar"]My advice would be to throw down a summon sign and help people beat those bosses. You'll get a lot of souls and you'll get some humanity upon successfully helping someone else beat Ornstein and Smough. Getting summoned is great because there is no real risk in terms of failure. You don't lose souls or humanity if you die in someone else's world. This should give you an opportunity to level up a bit and get a handle on the enemies in that area, particularly the bosses.rragnaar
I hadn't even thought of that. Thanks man, I will definitely be doing this tomorrow.

Good luck! It gets to be a lot of fun. I've spent a good 15 hours in that area between the two characters I've beaten the game with. You'll get to feel like an Anor Londo tour guide eventually. A lot of people have a hard time with those bosses, so you shouldn't have to wait long to get summoned.

Yeah, the game is a blast. This is really the first time I've been so frustrated with it (other than Blighttown). I just started getting used to this whole online thing, so hopefully this helps.
BadNewsBen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1155 BadNewsBen
So I finally got a humanity through being summoned and beating the boss (took me a half hour to be summoned), and then I get back to the area in front of the boss. I attempt to summon players over and over again, but it keeps saying "summoning failed". At last, a summoning is successful. Me, my co-op companion, and the NPC charge in to take on the bosses. The first one (Ornstein) goes down easily, and all 3 of us are alive for the second boss. My co-op companion dies shortly after (He began rushing for some reason) and my NPC dies almost right after that. I've got Smough down to a sliver, but because I can get in one last shot, he nails be with his hammer, killing me. I'm not attempting to be summoned again for the humanity, but I've been sitting here for hours with my game on. No dice.
BadNewsBen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1156 BadNewsBen

Finally beat the bosses, and what a huge relief it is.

Couple of questions:

- At this point in the game, I know I need to have some other weapon. The Zweilhander just doesn't do enough, and its far to slow. I made this mistake of wasting a bunch of larg titanite on a great axe that seems to be very similar. Any weapon suggestions?

- Speaking of weapons, how come I will match the criteria for a weapon on strength and my guy still loses his balance after he swings his sword? It makes a lot of weapons not worth it.

- I'm using the same armor I've had since before Blighttown. Anything I find thats any good requires way to much weight for my guy to handle.

- I see people online with heavier armor, but they still are running and rolling at a much faster speed than I am. I know they must be a similar level to me, so how is it that this is the case?

Thanks guys, everything in this thread has been a huge help to me.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#1157 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

Finally beat the bosses, and what a huge relief it is.

Couple of questions:

- At this point in the game, I know I need to have some other weapon. The Zweilhander just doesn't do enough, and its far to slow. I made this mistake of wasting a bunch of larg titanite on a great axe that seems to be very similar. Any weapon suggestions?

- Speaking of weapons, how come I will match the criteria for a weapon on strength and my guy still loses his balance after he swings his sword? It makes a lot of weapons not worth it.

- I'm using the same armor I've had since before Blighttown. Anything I find thats any good requires way to much weight for my guy to handle.

- I see people online with heavier armor, but they still are running and rolling at a much faster speed than I am. I know they must be a similar level to me, so how is it that this is the case?

Thanks guys, everything in this thread has been a huge help to me.

BadNewsBen

for a melee character, i like to use spears. theyre quick, have good range, and you can guard while attacking. the one i used was the demon's spear, which you can get off those skinny, pink, devil-looking things in anor londo. it draws more from dexterity than strength, but the strong elemental base makes it so it shouldnt matter as long as youre good in either statistic (at least before the patch, i dont know if the elemental nerf effected it). i also kept a black knight axe for pvp, but those are really hard to get until the very last area.

as for people rolling around in super heavy armor, its from a combination of high endurance and havel's ring which gives an absurdly high amount of equip burden. the ring can be found in the tower connecting darkroot basin to the undead berg held by a knight enemy. theres also the ring of divine blessing, which doesnt give nearly as much endurance as havel's ring, but its stackable and also gives a nice hp boost. you can get it by killing the creepy npc in the gold armor (you free him from the undead parish and then hes in firelink shrine for a bit). my melee character is doing medium rolls in smough's armor thanks to those.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1158 King9999

BadNewsBen

If you found any embers and you have some boss souls, you should try upgrading your Zweihander to +10 and then go to the Anor Londo blacksmith. You can make a special weapon if you meet the requirements.

Some weapons will cause you to lose your balance a bit after you swing; that's the way they are. Anytime the text description says something along the lines of "you'll leave yourself open if you miss," that means the weapon will cause you to stumble.

BadNewsBen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1159 BadNewsBen

Thanks guys, I'm going to try and get Havels Ring. I desperately need to move faster.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1160 rragnaar

Thanks guys, I'm going to try and get Havels Ring. I desperately need to move faster.

BadNewsBen
It is worth it for sure if you are wearing heavy armor. Both of the characters I've made were lightly armored so it wasn't a problem for me. I know a lot of people play like a tank, but I can't do it. I like being able to evade everything rather than blocking.
LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1161 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts
Both bells rang, Sif and Iron Golem defeated all at SL3. Like a boss.
Gibsonsg527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1162 Gibsonsg527
Member since 2010 • 3313 Posts

The biggest problem with this game is that it has no pause button......like wtf? I can't pause to get a drink or something? Im sorry but this game is not more important than life sometimes I NEED to pause but no this game wont let me so I have to die.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1163 rragnaar

There is a rumor going around that there will be some DLC released for Dark Souls sometime early this year. That would be a nice treat. I still wish they'd work on balancing the game a bit better. New Game+ is bulls***. Sticking that red phantom in the church and having him respawn effectively makes traveling from Firelink to Sen's Fortress a huge pain in the ass. As much as I loved NG+ in Demon's Souls, I don't know that I'll spend much time with it in Dark Souls.

Cell4573

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1164 Cell4573
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

You guys probably know this , but there is a petition for Dark souls to port to pc .I made a thread here on gamespot with some important links http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/28993278/dark-souls-petition

Thank you

LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1165 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts

There is a rumor going around that there will be some DLC released for Dark Souls sometime early this year. That would be a nice treat. I still wish they'd work on balancing the game a bit better. New Game+ is bulls***. Sticking that red phantom in the church and having him respawn effectively makes traveling from Firelink to Sen's Fortress a huge pain in the ass. As much as I loved NG+ in Demon's Souls, I don't know that I'll spend much time with it in Dark Souls.

rragnaar
What red phantom?
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1166 rragnaar
[QUOTE="rragnaar"]

LikeHaterade
What red phantom?

There is a big nasty f***er hanging out in the church that is harder than a mini boss and he respawns every time.
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1167 King9999

[QUOTE="LikeHaterade"][QUOTE="rragnaar"]

rragnaar

What red phantom?

There is a big nasty f***er hanging out in the church that is harder than a mini boss and he respawns every time.

I'm doing NG+ and I've never seen this phantom. What's his name?

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1168 rragnaar
I don't recall the name, but it is a red phantom version of the mini-boss that is in the church. That would be awesome if there is some way to get rid of it, or if it doesn't spawn in every game. It really ruined my enjoyment of NG+. I've killed it two times and it keeps coming back. It one hit kills me so I've got to be super careful about going through the church.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#1169 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
I don't recall the name, but it is a red phantom version of the mini-boss that is in the church. That would be awesome if there is some way to get rid of it, or if it doesn't spawn in every game. It really ruined my enjoyment of NG+. I've killed it two times and it keeps coming back. It one hit kills me so I've got to be super careful about going through the church.rragnaar
i feel your pain, but thats pretty awesome because ive passed the undead perish in NG+ and havent seen him.
_Dez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1170 _Dez_
Member since 2006 • 2398 Posts

I don't recall the name, but it is a red phantom version of the mini-boss that is in the church. That would be awesome if there is some way to get rid of it, or if it doesn't spawn in every game. It really ruined my enjoyment of NG+. I've killed it two times and it keeps coming back. It one hit kills me so I've got to be super careful about going through the church.rragnaar

That sounds like the effect of the Gravelord item being used. It's like creating a black world tendency for other players, but from my experience, it's been exceedingly rare. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if it's seen more often in the undead church, as it seems like a prime spot for pvp and griefing new players from all my red phantom encounters.

I ran into that red phantom too. Thing is, it materialized out of nowhere while I was waiting to be summoned and proceeded to get pasted to the ground multiple times. I thought it would be safe after you clear certain areas, but I guess that isn't the case with the gravelord thing.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#1171 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

I have beaten this game back in November and I love it.

Dexter-010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#1172 Dexter-010
Member since 2011 • 494 Posts
Is this game worth buying it? Do you prefer this game above Skyrim? Why? Is it a hard game? Or just as easy as Fable 2 (for example)?
mikeyMKII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1173 mikeyMKII
Member since 2009 • 754 Posts

It took awhile, but NG+ has finally thrown a roadblock on me. Four Kings ughhh...

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#1174 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Is this game worth buying it? Do you prefer this game above Skyrim? Why? Is it a hard game? Or just as easy as Fable 2 (for example)?Dexter-010
Yes, it's worth buying. That depends, since Skyrim outdoes it in some ways but Dark Souls outdoes it in areas too. Yes, it's hard, way harder than Skyrim, Fable, etc. It's not even easy.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1175 rragnaar

No details just yet, but there is a PC version coming!

I'm really curious as to how it will differ from the console versions. Higher res textures and a better framerate would be awesome.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1176 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts
Hopefully you guys get better frame rate The frame rate in some areas was absolutely atrocious.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#1177 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Hopefully you guys get better frame rate The frame rate in some areas was absolutely atrocious.mystic_knight
Oh we will... UNLESS....they lock it at 30fps. I don't see a reason why they would do such a horrible thing though. Higher resolution, anti-aliasing, will make everything clearer, sharper, more crisp. $50-60. I don't care. Take my money.
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1178 mystic_knight
[QUOTE="mystic_knight"]Hopefully you guys get better frame rate The frame rate in some areas was absolutely atrocious.Elann2008
Oh we will... UNLESS....they lock it at 30fps. I don't see a reason why they would do such a horrible thing though. Higher resolution, anti-aliasing, will make everything clearer, sharper, more crisp. $50-60. I don't care. Take my money.

Even on my ps3 with the bad frames and it was still damn enjoyable.. It most definitely is worth it, i paid $110 with no regrets.
riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#1179 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

I'm hoping some DLCs. A PC version would be nice as well for those who have yet to play this game on consoles :)

_Dez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1180 _Dez_

Woah, a PC release? Did not see that coming. This is a game I'd double dip for, so heck yeah, bring it on!

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1181 King9999

Damn...a PC version? I'm torn here. I kinda want it and kinda don't. I guess it'll depend on what they add to it. If they add new maps or something and make further refinements to the gameplay then it's a done deal. Increased frame rate and resolution comes with the territory.

Man, I'm probably gonna buy it regardless.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1182 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Let's see how many of those signers will really buy the game..

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1183 mystic_knight

Let's see how many of those signers will really buy the game..

tjricardo089
Thats the problem i hope they do buy and support from software, they are an amazing company.
Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1184 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

glad PC gamers who dont own consoles finally get to enjoy this great game. hope they also release some DLC :)

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1185 rragnaar

glad PC gamers who dont own consoles finally get to enjoy this great game. hope they also release some DLC :)

Flubbbs
Totally. I'd love to see some more content. I held out hope for a long time that From would "repair" the 6th archstone in Demon's Souls. These games really seem suited to seemless expansions.
true_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1186 true_gamer007
Member since 2011 • 433 Posts

Finally, we hard PC gamers will get hard challenge. Thanks to the developers. I'm waiting to hear this for Uncharted and Red Dead.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1187 rragnaar

A German gaming mag is confirming that there are new bosses in the PC version.

Hopefully that content comes to the consoles as well.

F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1188 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts
I got a new PC today (yay) so I think I'll wait for the pc version to play this. I just need a controller/Dual shock hooked up to my PC.
lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1189 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts

rragnaar
Snap, that would give me a reason to play the game again.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#1190 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
[QUOTE="rragnaar"]

lbjkurono23
Snap, that would give me a reason to play the game again.

Same here, I would snap up DLC for this game pretty quick.
_Dez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1191 _Dez_

Anybody see the new PC trailer yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jzSqBfPQIEk

I like.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#1192 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

I will buy this.

For two dollars.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1193 rragnaar

I'll probably build a PC for this. Here are some details:

New Bosses - Including Artorias of Abyss, Chimera of Tomb, and more
PVP Online Matchmaking System - Quick matching for co-op or PVP
New Areas – Including Oolacile Tomb, Old Ruins and more
New Enemies – Including Abyss Guard, Chained Prisoner and more
New NPCs – Including Hawkeye Gough and more
New Weapons and Armor – Equip some from the new bosses, enemies, and NPCs

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#1194 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Any news on this being made available for DLC on the consoles?
SteverXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1195 SteverXIII
Member since 2010 • 3795 Posts
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/dark-souls/1222756p1.html Confirmed for GFWL.... oh boy...
mikeyMKII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1196 mikeyMKII
Member since 2009 • 754 Posts

Not sure my current PC could handle it, so I'll just wait for the console DLC.

Mcspanky37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1197 Mcspanky37
Member since 2010 • 1693 Posts

Looks like Dark Souls PC will be the superior version now with a (kinda) ton more content and a ton better graphics

*Edit*

Also buyin this first day

Mcspanky37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1198 Mcspanky37
Member since 2010 • 1693 Posts
Any news on this being made available for DLC on the consoles?GodModeEnabled
^^^^^^??????????
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1199 King9999

Any news on this being made available for DLC on the consoles?GodModeEnabled

If they do this, I would buy it even though my PC will likely handle the game. If I can, I would like to keep the experience consistent and play on one platform.

KG86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1200 KG86
Member since 2007 • 6021 Posts

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/dark-souls/1222756p1.html Confirmed for GFWL.... oh boy...SteverXIII

Ugh, gone from a definite buy to no sale.