Fantasy_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Fantasy_Gamer
Member since 2004 • 14159 Posts
Without comparing Final Fantasy XII with other games in the series, what features or other aspects of the game should have been added, modified, or changed that would make it a better game that will suit your every taste?
NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 NWA_31
Member since 2006 • 11922 Posts

I think most of its problems weren't technical, it was more like bad decisions when they designed the game.

What I felt was lacking the most was the character development. Oddly enough, the characters all had their own story and a distinct personality, but I still have the feeling that I couldn't have cared less if say, they all died in the end of the game or something. Some of them just didn't fit with the game at all. At one point, you have Ashe and company discussing politics ala Final Fantasy Tactics, and then you have Vaan & Penelo on their magical little trip, collecting flowers and catching butterflies.

The game also really lacked a sense of "epic-ness". The story progress was not only slow, but usually involved you walking through areas for hours, only to get a new destination. The story twists were unimpressive, lacked punch and failed to excite most of the time. The music was boring and dull, I think having the same music for exploring AND fighting was the main reason - A really bad decision imo.

That's about it. :P

DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DrAwesomeMD
Member since 2007 • 17547 Posts
I think the game is great, so I'd have to say nothing really. Maybe a bit more development for Vaan and Penelo, but that's it.
TaCoDuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 TaCoDuDe
Member since 2006 • 3239 Posts
The only problem I had was pacing. There were long bits in the game where story expositions were few and far between. And then, they'd suddenly come in rapid succession. I think this could be attributed to the director change mid-development, but still, it's a flaw. Other than that, I loved the game.
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 fs_metal
Member since 2005 • 25711 Posts
Fina; Fantasy XII was flawless the way it was
Avatar image for A_Fading_Scream
A_Fading_Scream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 A_Fading_Scream
Member since 2006 • 332 Posts

not enough development, if they put as much effort into the story as the bestiary, it would have been amazing...i felt it had a very grand setting, and i liked this, it was like FFTactics, however i wanted to be able to relate more with each of the characters, and the grand setting did not allow for this....

ONE MASSIVE THING THEY SHOULD HAVE DONE IS MADE IT HARDER!!!! you only had to press buttons for text towards the end...waaaaaaaayyyyy too easy, even the extra bosses could be sorted out by using boring tricks which while taking hours involved no activity, i suppose you could try it without gambits, or with only basic ones, but theres no reward for that...

i felt that there should have been soething like a battle square(FFVII) or the choice to fight like mutated type monsters(FFX calm lands), and more minigames, i know a lot of people don't like them, but i felt that there should have been a few more...

Ebi_Furya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#7 Ebi_Furya
Member since 2006 • 258 Posts

I would have like to have seen a more complex gambit system with some logic built in (if this, then do this, etc.).

It would have also been nice to have different license boards for different characters. I know they did this in the International version, but they wont release it in the US (as usual). It seemed that by the time everyone learned everything, all of the characters were essentially the same and became stale.

I also agree that the pacing seemed off at times. You expect there to be a lull at some point in the story of the game, but it's usually when you're able to start doing all the side missions. XII seemed to lull several points, regardless of side-missions.

The difficulty did seem a bit too easy too, especially once you are able to take down the big marks (Hell Wyrm, Yiazmat, etc.) and Espers. It would have been nice to see some of the areas have "scalable" enemy levels depending not necessarily on your own level, but what you've done. Hell Wyrm killed? Bump all enemy levels by 5. Yiazmat killed? Bump them by 10. I remember just waltzing through the final dungeon like it was nothing. Very disappointing.

These things, in my opinion, could have made the game a little better had they been included, but at the same time, XII is still a wonderful game to play as is.

sameister3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sameister3
Member since 2005 • 918 Posts
For me there should've been a better main character. And I totally agree with NWA abot the epic-ness thing.
Brandon2127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Brandon2127
Member since 2008 • 54 Posts

My only problem has been in X as well, once you took down the big mothers like yiazmat the epic feel of the final battles was lost. They should have done what they did in VII, once your characters reach lvl 99 bump up enemies stats or VIII level the enemies to you with harder monsters in certain areas.

"You know what they say about the leading man; he never dies!" - Balthier

Sony_FanBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10 Sony_FanBoy
Member since 2006 • 2993 Posts

I think most of its problems weren't technical, it was more like bad decisions when they designed the game.

What I felt was lacking the most was the character development. Oddly enough, the characters all had their own story and a distinct personality, but I still have the feeling that I couldn't have cared less if say, they all died in the end of the game or something. Some of them just didn't fit with the game at all. At one point, you have Ashe and company discussing politics ala Final Fantasy Tactics, and then you have Vaan & Penelo on their magical little trip, collecting flowers and catching butterflies.

The game also really lacked a sense of "epic-ness". The story progress was not only slow, but usually involved you walking through areas for hours, only to get a new destination. The story twists were unimpressive, lacked punch and failed to excite most of the time. The music was boring and dull, I think having the same music for exploring AND fighting was the main reason - A really bad decision imo.

That's about it. :P

NWA_31
I agree with the character thing that you said. Even though they were different in personality, they always felt the same.
Avatar image for squalls_revival
squalls_revival

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 squalls_revival
Member since 2004 • 1274 Posts
final fantasy 12 had my heart goin a pitter patter :P
FF-Is-Awsome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FF-Is-Awsome
Member since 2008 • 424 Posts

My only problem has been in X as well, once you took down the big mothers like yiazmat the epic feel of the final battles was lost. They should have done what they did in VII, once your characters reach lvl 99 bump up enemies stats or VIII level the enemies to you with harder monsters in certain areas.

Brandon2127

They needed a area like the island closest to hell in VIII you could go their at level 100 and if you werent equiped properly die to an enemy like a malboro. the pal version of X was alot harder with dark aeons and penance but if you beat them everything else is far to easy

DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DrAwesomeMD
[QUOTE="Brandon2127"]

FF-Is-Awsome

They needed a area like the island closest to hell in VIII you could go their at level 100 and if you werent equiped properly die to an enemy like a malboro. the pal version of X was alot harder with dark aeons and penance but if you beat them everything else is far to easy

*ahem* Necrohol of Nabudis.

And I remember there being some really annoying bats in the Henne Mines.

johngebreadman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#14 johngebreadman
Member since 2007 • 9960 Posts
i think summons should have been a little more useful than a bucket without a bottom
Ebi_Furya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ebi_Furya

i think summons should have been a little more useful than a bucket without a bottomjohngebreadman

How very true. I remember having troubles with a Mark and using an Esper to help...and my main characters were doing better against the Mark than the Esper was! After that, I only used them to see their animations. It was frustrating to fight a major battle to obtain them only to have them be incredibly weak.

johngebreadman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#16 johngebreadman
Member since 2007 • 9960 Posts

ok, attempt number 40 at defeating zodiark - WHY IS THIS SO DIFFICULT? *throws controller down in annoyance*

6 attempts and several hours later

wow i finally defeated that ****, lets use him to defeat some enemies, WTF is there some sorta glitch?? this guy sucks i went through all of this 4 that???

Avatar image for A_Fading_Scream
A_Fading_Scream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 A_Fading_Scream
Member since 2006 • 332 Posts
[QUOTE="FF-Is-Awsome"][QUOTE="Brandon2127"]

DrAwesomeMD

The Necrohol was too easy too, the gambit system did make it a better fighting system, but it made it too easy, especially when your speeds got stupidly high...

Sony_FanBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sony_FanBoy
[QUOTE="FF-Is-Awsome"][QUOTE="Brandon2127"]

DrAwesomeMD

There's also The Pharos.

DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DrAwesomeMD
[QUOTE="DrAwesomeMD"][QUOTE="FF-Is-Awsome"][QUOTE="Brandon2127"]

A_Fading_Scream

The Necrohol was too easy too, the gambit system did make it a better fighting system, but it made it too easy, especially when your speeds got stupidly high...

The Necrohol seriously annoyed me. I remember one monster there had a chance to spawn with 99,999 HP.

Sony_FanBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Sony_FanBoy
[QUOTE="A_Fading_Scream"][QUOTE="DrAwesomeMD"][QUOTE="FF-Is-Awsome"][QUOTE="Brandon2127"]

DrAwesomeMD

The Necrohol seriously annoyed me. I remember one monster there had a chance to spawn with 99,999 HP.

I had no problem with the Necrohol, The Pharos annoyed me more, cuz of the bad placement of the Magick Pots.
DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DrAwesomeMD
[QUOTE="DrAwesomeMD"][QUOTE="A_Fading_Scream"][QUOTE="DrAwesomeMD"][QUOTE="FF-Is-Awsome"][QUOTE="Brandon2127"]

Sony_FanBoy

I had no problem with the Necrohol, The Pharos annoyed me more, cuz of the bad placement of the Magick Pots.

I remember the great crystal. That place wasn't hard, but insanely annoying! :x

Sony_FanBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sony_FanBoy
oh yeah, the great crystal pissed me off so badly. You had to go through it 3 times. once for the story, twice for ultima and a 3rd for Omega Mark XII.
NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NWA_31

oh yeah, the great crystal pissed me off so badly. You had to go through it 3 times. once for the story, twice for ultima and a 3rd for Omega Mark XII.Sony_FanBoy

And you had to stay there for like 5 hours if you wanted to get Excalibur. By far the worst experience I've had in the game.

Even Yiazmat was easier than that - I beat him in my sleep.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 fs_metal
^You haven;'t had very many bad gaming experiences have you
NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NWA_31

^You haven;'t had very many bad gaming experiences have youfs_metal

Notice how I said "in the game" ?

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 fs_metal
Oh. I read it as "in a game." Sorry
Sony_FanBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Sony_FanBoy

[QUOTE="Sony_FanBoy"]oh yeah, the great crystal pissed me off so badly. You had to go through it 3 times. once for the story, twice for ultima and a 3rd for Omega Mark XII.NWA_31

And you had to stay there for like 5 hours if you wanted to get Excalibur. By far the worst experience I've had in the game.

Even Yiazmat was easier than that - I beat him in my sleep.

Damnit, something else I missed. I'm starting to hate FFXII. Just when i think I've done everything. Something else pops up to remind me that I'm not done. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! But I still like the game. Because of the fact it's extremely expansive.

NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 NWA_31

Oh. I read it as "in a game." Sorryfs_metal

That's cool, dude. I just wish you'd admit you're wrong more often, like in a certain debate concerning Tidus, for example. :P

Damnit, something else I missed. I'm starting to hate FFXII. Just when i think I've done everything. Something else pops up to remind me that I'm not done. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! But I still like the game. Because of the fact it's extremely expansive.Sony_FanBoy

Well, if you've done almost everything, you can pretty much pass on the Excalibur.

It's a nice blade, but after doing it myself, I'd say it's not worth the effort.

Sony_FanBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Sony_FanBoy

[QUOTE="fs_metal"]Oh. I read it as "in a game." SorryNWA_31

That's cool, dude. I just wish you'd admit you're wrong more often, like in a certain debate concerning Tidus, for example. :P

Damnit, something else I missed. I'm starting to hate FFXII. Just when i think I've done everything. Something else pops up to remind me that I'm not done. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! But I still like the game. Because of the fact it's extremely expansive.Sony_FanBoy

Well, if you've done almost everything, you can pretty much pass on the Excalibur.

It's a nice blade, but after doing it myself, I'd say it's not worth the effort.

Ok, I've done all the sidequests, marks, rare game, most of the weapons, armor, acc., all the espers, all optional bosses, etc.
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 fs_metal

[QUOTE="fs_metal"]Oh. I read it as "in a game." SorryNWA_31

But you are the wone wrong about Tidus, so I have nothing to admit in the first place
NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NWA_31

Ok, I've done all the sidequests, marks, rare game, most of the weapons, armor, acc., all the espers, all optional bosses, etc.
Sony_FanBoy

Yeah, then don't waste your time with it. Unless you're one of those people who must absolutely get a perfect 100% completion on every game they play.

TaCoDuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 TaCoDuDe
Member since 2006 • 3239 Posts
[QUOTE="NWA_31"]

[QUOTE="fs_metal"]Oh. I read it as "in a game." Sorryfs_metal

But you are the wone wrong about Tidus, so I have nothing to admit in the first place

No he wasn't. :)

At least, I don't think so. Guess that's why they're called "opinions", huh?

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 fs_metal
Oh but NWA is wrong. So very very wrong. You do realise that NWA is trtying to shove off "Tidus is not whiny" like a fact, right?
NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 NWA_31
Let's not talk about that here, guys.
Sony_FanBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Sony_FanBoy

[QUOTE="Sony_FanBoy"]Ok, I've done all the sidequests, marks, rare game, most of the weapons, armor, acc., all the espers, all optional bosses, etc.
NWA_31

Yeah, then don't waste your time with it. Unless you're one of those people who must absolutely get a perfect 100% completion on every game they play.

Well I am like that, but I've already invested over 300 hours in it. It makes me (kinda) mad to the realized that even after doing all that, that I'm still missing things.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 fs_metal
That shows how great the game was. There was so much to do in it
frostbourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 frostbourne
Member since 2005 • 2773 Posts
Yes. I certainly would agree. :)
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 fs_metal
I was enthralled with it from the very opening cut scene. Hell, even that was so amazing that you could have stretched it out and made a damn good movie out of it
Shekb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Shekb
Member since 2005 • 13506 Posts

I was enthralled with it from the very opening cut scene. Hell, even that was so amazing that you could have stretched it out and made a damn good movie out of itfs_metal

Too bad the rest of the story was pretty slow paced and not that awesome

I mean, it was good,but nothing WOWZOMG****

But anyway, the game was expansive, big deal, expansive with nothing in it doesn't mean a thing

The World was EMPTY outside of the cities and you had to walk for hours to move around

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 fs_metal

[QUOTE="fs_metal"]I was enthralled with it from the very opening cut scene. Hell, even that was so amazing that you could have stretched it out and made a damn good movie out of itShekb

But anyway, the game was expansive, big deal, expansive with nothing in it doesn't mean a thing

The World was EMPTY outside of the cities and you had to walk for hours to move around

Are you kidding? The rest of the story was just as amazing. It's one of FFs best

The world wasn't empty. it was huge and fun to explore

Schulzygrl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Schulzygrl
Member since 2008 • 446 Posts
I havent finished this game yet but I really do like it a lot. There is just so much to do and it never seems to end (which I like) I do wish that there was more character development but whatever, I can deal without it.
Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#42 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

Most people beat me to saying it but oh well. Character Development was the one major weakness of the game. Vaan, who was suppose to be the lead, had no defining quailities that made him unique or likable like the previous leads. Maybe because I was expecting Vaan and Penelo to be more active in the story, but they never really grow through the course of the game.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 fs_metal

Most people beat me to saying it but oh well. Character Development was the one major weakness of the game. Vaan, who was suppose to be the lead, had no defining quailities that made him unique or likable like the previous leads. Maybe because I was expecting Vaan and Penelo to be more active in the story, but they never really grow through the course of the game.

Lionheart08
Vaan was not the lead. There was no lead character. FFXII isn't a tory about a collection of characters. It is the story of 2 warring nations and these characters happen to be caught in the thick of it
Sony_FanBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Sony_FanBoy
[QUOTE="Shekb"]

[QUOTE="fs_metal"]I was enthralled with it from the very opening cut scene. Hell, even that was so amazing that you could have stretched it out and made a damn good movie out of itfs_metal

Are you kidding? The rest of the story was just as amazing. It's one of FFs best

The world wasn't empty. it was huge and fun to explore

I agree FS, I mean if you couldn't find anything then you weren't looking.

Sony_FanBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Sony_FanBoy
[QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

fs_metal

Vaan was not the lead. There was no lead character. FFXII isn't a tory about a collection of characters. It is the story of 2 warring nations and these characters happen to be caught in the thick of it

I agree with that 2. I wonder what Square will do with FF XIII.

frostbourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 frostbourne
Member since 2005 • 2773 Posts
[QUOTE="fs_metal"][QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

Sony_FanBoy

I agree with that 2. I wonder what Square will do with FF XIII.

After viewing the trailers, all I can say is the game has some pretty solid role characters.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 fs_metal
We really don't know much of anything about FFXIII. They haven't told us much and only shown us CG trailers
Sony_FanBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Sony_FanBoy
We really don't know much of anything about FFXIII. They haven't told us much and only shown us CG trailersfs_metal
Yeah. The only trailers they have shown, are just slightly tweaked from the E3 2007 trailer.
Ebi_Furya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Ebi_Furya

[QUOTE="fs_metal"]We really don't know much of anything about FFXIII. They haven't told us much and only shown us CG trailersSony_FanBoy
Yeah. The only trailers they have shown, are just slightly tweaked from the E3 2007 trailer.

I don't remember which trailer it was, but one of them showed a few second of the battle system gameplay. It looked fast and furious, but considering it's been almost a year since it was first shown, who knows how much it's changed since then.

NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 NWA_31

I don't remember which trailer it was, but one of them showed a few second of the battle system gameplay. It looked fast and furious, but considering it's been almost a year since it was first shown, who knows how much it's changed since then.

Ebi_Furya

It was the very first one, I believe - the one shown at E3 2006.

Which raises the question: Where the **** is the gameplay footage for FFXIII ? :P