Xbox One to Integrate Windows 10 OS
But Xbox boss Phil Spencer assures, "we won't see people using Excel on the Xbox".
No specific details were announced, though Xbox boss Phil Spencer assured that the games platform wouldn't be compromised by enterprise-centric and desktop-focused applications. How it will operate is unclear, and whether it will come with a Dashboard rearrangement is not known.
"We won't see people using Excel on the Xbox, but Microsoft is making it easier to port experiences from PC over to Xbox where they make sense," Spencer said.
"We'll treat gaming on Windows 10 with the same passion as we've put into the Xbox console."
Spencer added that more details would come in March, during the Games Developers Conference.
The announcement was made on Wednesday during Microsoft's Windows 10 press conference in Redmond, Washington.
Along with its announcement that the Windows 10 operating system will come to Xbox One, Microsoft also revealed that Xbox games would go the other way, being streamed to Windows 10 PCs. Fable Legends, meanwhile, will be released on both and feature cross-platform functionality.
Microsoft also announced during the press conference that all Windows customers, from Windows 7 upward, can migrate to Windows 10 for free for the first year. The update also applies to Windows Phones.
Along with this, Microsoft announced that it's voice-activated personal assistant, Cortana, will also be available on PC for the first time.
Windows 10 Briefing: All the News
- LIVE BLOG
- Windows Holographic Revealed
- In Pictures: Windows Holopgraphic
- Xbox One to Integrate Windows 10 OS
- PC Can Stream Xbox One Games
- Fable Legends Coming to PC, Supports Xbox One Cross-Platform Play
- Windows 10 Free Upgrade Offer Revealed
- Windows 10 Xbox App Revealed
- Cortana Coming to Windows 10 PCs
- Universal Windows 10 Apps coming to Xbox One
- Internet Explorer's Successor, Project Spartan, Revealed