Xbox Boss Teases New Battletoads
Phil Spencer says, "I don't think I've ever worn a t-shirt that's been a complete head-fake."
Top Xbox boss Phil Spencer took to the stage today during Microsoft's Windows 10 event wearing a Battletoads t-shirt. He never mentioned the Battletoads series during his section of the presentation today, so we caught up with him following the event to ask if him wearing the shirt meant anything.
Asked if the Battletoads t-shirt was a tease for a new entry in the long-dormant series, Spencer replied: "I don't think I've ever worn a t-shirt that's been a complete head-fake. I wouldn't do that."
While it's not a confirmation that Microsoft is indeed working on a new Battletoads game, it does add to the growing speculation that indeed the company is.
In November 2014, Microsoft renewed its trademark for Battletoads, though at the time, the company wouldn't say anything about the future of the series.
The Battletoads series was created by British developer Rare, and was originally released for the NES in 1991. Microsoft acquired Rare in 2002, and the Battletoads series has been dormant for years. A Rare developer has since teased that 2015 will be a "huge" year for the company.
Windows 10 Briefing: All the News
- LIVE BLOG
- Take A Closer Look At Microsoft's New Augmented Reality Tech, Windows Holographic
- Windows Holographic Revealed
- In Pictures: Windows Holopgraphic
- Xbox One to Integrate Windows 10 OS
- PC Can Stream Xbox One Games
- Fable Legends Coming to PC, Supports Xbox One Cross-Platform Play
- Windows 10 Free Upgrade Offer Revealed
- Windows 10 Xbox App Revealed
- Cortana Coming to Windows 10 PCs
- Universal Windows 10 Apps coming to Xbox One
- Internet Explorer's Successor, Project Spartan, Revealed
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.