Gamescom 2019 Conference Roundup: Schedule And News From Geoff Keighley, Nintendo, Xbox, And Google
Gamescom is underway, and we're rounding up all of the big news for you.
Gamescom 2019 has begun in earnest, with a series of press conferences taking place throughout Monday. These brought a ton of news about newly revealed and other upcoming games, both big and small. Nintendo started things out with a showcase of Switch indie games, followed by an Inside Xbox stream, the next Google Stadia Connect, and a news-packed Opening Night Live event hosted by Geoff Keighley.
We even got the surprise releases of several games across PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and PC, with a Call of Duty: Modern Warfare alpha test to come soon for free on PS4. Meanwhile, there have been numerous Gamescom game trailers making their debut, and we've rounded up some of our favorites for you to check out.
Some of the biggest news from this week didn't come specifically from any of the official events. Maybe the most notable example is that we learned Sony bought Insomniac, the maker of Marvel's Spider-Man.
Gamescom is held every year in Cologne, Germany. This year's key date is August 20, when the show kicks off. However, as is the norm with Gamescom, that day is for press and trade visitors only; members of the public can get in from the day after, Wednesday, August 21. The last show day is Saturday, August 24. But it's Monday, August 19 that is the big one for news, and below you'll find all of the highlights from the day's many press conference-style events and livestreams.
Google, Xbox, and Geoff Keighley
Before the show started, Google hosted its second Stadia Connect presentation, which delivered on its promise of "brand-new trailers" and behind-the-scenes chats with partner developers. That followed the Inside Xbox presentation that delivered a variety of news for Xbox One and PC gaming fans.
Then, the event more formally began with Gamescom: Opening Night Live. This presentation was hosted by Geoff Keighley and, as promised, brought numerous new game announcements and reveals. The last portion of the broadcast was dedicated to showcasing Death Stranding, including a look at gameplay and the character Mama. Hideo Kojima appeared on stage to further hint at just what the game is, although--as you'd expect--it largely remains a mystery.
This year is Gamescom's 10th anniversary. Over 370,000 people from around the globe attend each year, making it the world's biggest gaming convention. Let us know what you're looking forward to seeing at Gamescom in the comments and check the schedule below to plan your viewing accordingly.
Nintendo's indie showcase opened the show and, as expected, featured some very exciting announcements. While the bulk of the stream was a roulette of indie games that are on the horizon, Nintendo also surprised us with a few game launches. Both Superhot and Hotline Miami are available on witch now. The biggest news, however, was that Ori and the Blind Forest--a game published for Xbox One and PC by Microsoft Studios--is coming to Switch. You can rewatch the stream and catch up on all the news using our Nintendo Gamescom Showcase recap.
- Xbox Platformer Ori And The Blind Forest Coming To Switch
- Hotline Miami Collection Is Out On Nintendo Switch Today
- Superhot Releasing On Nintendo Switch Today
- The Touryst Is One Of The Coolest-Looking Indie Switch Games On The Way
- Skater XL For Nintendo Switch Might Not Be Skate 4, But It Could Do The Trick
Inside Xbox Press Conference - August 19
It was a fairly standard live Inside Xbox broadcast from Microsoft, though that doesn't mean it was lacking for news. There were plenty of trailers and reveals, including that of Gears 5's Horde mode, new colors of Xbox One controllers, new Xbox Game Pass games, and more. Notably, Bungie also appeared during the broadcast to talk about Destiny 2: Shadowkeep; until now, Destiny had an exclusivity arrangement with PlayStation that meant the game was typically only showcased during Sony events. You can catch up on all the new in our Inside Xbox Gamescom recap.
- New Xbox Game Pass Titles Available Now, Including Devil May Cry 5
- Two New Xbox One Controllers Revealed, See Them Here
- PUBG Adding Cross-Play On PS4 And Xbox One
- Gears 5 Horde Mode Brings New Ult Abilities To Series
- Gears 5 To Cameo Halo: Reach Characters
- New Wasteland 3 Trailer Sees The Rangers Take On A Cult
- Xbox Game Pass Ultimate: Get 2 Months For $2
Stadia Connect Press Conference - August 19
The Gamescom Stadia Connect event was very much a straightforward presentation packed with game trailers. Many of these were for games that had not previously been confirmed for Stadia, including Cyberpunk 2077.
- Cyberpunk 2077 Coming To Google Stadia
- Samurai Shodown Announced For Google Stadia
- Mortal Kombat 11 Arrives On Google Stadia This Fall
- Google Unveils New Doom Eternal Trailer During Stadia Connect
Gamescom Opening Night Live - August 19
Geoff Keighley's Opening Night Live event marked the final big pre-Gamescom event of Monday. There were numerous premieres of new games and content, and a variety of news, like a release date for The Witcher 3 on Switch. The end of the presentation was headlined by an appearance from Hideo Kojima, who showed up to talk about Death Stranding and show off new gameplay.
- The Witcher 3 Switch Port Release Date Announced, Coming In October
- Death Stranding New Gameplay Takes The Piss At Gamescom
- Death Stranding's Characters Further Detailed At Gamescom
- Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare Free PS4 Alpha Test Happening This Week
- The Co-Creator Of Halo Shows Off Disintegration, A New Team-Based Multiplayer Game
- Sega Debuts Civilization-Building Game Humankind
- New Predator: Hunting Grounds Trailer Unveiled At Gamescom 2019
- Kerbal Space Program 2 Announced, Set For Release In 2020
- Little Nightmares 2 Coming Next Year; Check Out The Creepy First Trailer
- Gamescom 2019: Need For Speed Heat Gameplay Trailer Revealed
- Gears 5 Debuts New Campaign Trailer At Gamescom
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.