All PS4 Games Can be Played in PlayStation VR
Cinematic mode renders virtual screen equivalent to five meters; Plays movies and 360-degree photos.
All existing PlayStation 4 games can be played on PSVR via a "cinematic mode" that simulates a five-meter screen within a virtual space, manufacturer Sony has said.
While Sony is developing a range of bespoke virtual reality games, its PSVR system software can render all standard PS4 games within the headset too, albeit on what is essentially a flat screen housed within a virtual space.
"Users can enjoy content on a virtual screen up to 225 inches (5 meters in width) at a distance of 2.5 meters," Sony sad in a press release.
As well as games, users can view movies within this virtual space too, Sony said. Other PS4 features, such as Share Play and Live from PlayStation, will also be compatible within the headset.
The corporation added: "Users will also be able to enjoy 360 degrees photos and videos that are captured by devices such as omnidirectional cameras on PS VR via PS4 Media Player, which will let them feel as if they are physically inside the captured scene."
In terms of custom-built virtual reality games, Sony says more than 230 developers are on board supporting PlayStation VR, with some 160 projects in development.
Announced PSVR games include Star Wars Battlefront, Eagle Flight, EVE: Valkyrie, Headmaster, Rez Infinite, Wayward Sky, RIGS: Mechanized Combat League, Tumble VR, Until Dawn: Rush of Blood, and PlayStation VR Worlds.
Sony has confirmed the PlayStation VR release date will be in October 2016. It will be available for $400 in North America, €399 in Europe, £349 in the United Kingdom, $549.95 in Australia, and ¥44,980 in Japan.
The base PlayStation VR package does not include Move controllers, which typically retails for around $40/£40 or the PlayStation Camera, which usually costs $50/£40.
Further Reading: All the PSVR News and Reaction
- PlayStation VR Release Date
- PlayStation VR Price
- $400 PlayStation VR Requires $60 PS4 Camera
- PlayStation VR Bundle With Camera and Controller Confirmed
- PSVR Price Delivers Profit at Each Sale, Sony Exec Claims
- All PlayStation VR Games Confirmed So Far
- All PS4 Games Can be Played in PlayStation VR
- Star Wars Battlefront Experience Coming to PlayStation VR
- Ubisoft announces Warewolf VR game
- Here's All the Game Devs Supporting PlayStation VR
- PlayStation VR Sold Out in Minutes on Amazon UK
- Oculus VR Founder Says $400 PlayStation VR Is "A Totally Fair Price"
- PlayStation VR Sales Could Hit 1.6 Million Units, Analyst Claims
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email firstname.lastname@example.org