Since they are taking out planes in GTA4, because of 9/11. Then why don't they..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts
also take out the guns, because more Americans have died in wars, than the 9/11 incident. Why can't people get over 9/11?
Prid3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 Prid3r
Member since 2004 • 8643 Posts
because wars don't take place in america ? sound dumb but that the only thing I could think about .
Seemore10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Seemore10
Member since 2005 • 973 Posts
Yea I think its stupid that they took planes out.
limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts
The game already takes a huge amount of heat from the guns and being able to kill cops, hookers and so on. The last thing Rockstar wants is 9/11 familys on their case. If it was any other city I am sure their would be planes, but not in NY. Plus, why should we just "get over" 9/11? Its easy to move on when the event did not at all affect your life. Any tragedie, be 9/11 or a school shooting should never be forgotten or simply brushed off.
Mikerules868

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Mikerules868
Member since 2004 • 2153 Posts
no planes is a small price to pay if thats what is going to get NYC to cool down about the game looking like NY.
fathertroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 fathertroy
Member since 2006 • 1309 Posts

The game already takes a huge amount of heat from the guns and being able to kill cops, hookers and so on. The last thing Rockstar wants is 9/11 familys on their case. If it was any other city I am sure their would be planes, but not in NY. Plus, why should we just "get over" 9/11? Its easy to move on when the event did not at all affect your life. Any tragedie, be 9/11 or a school shooting should never be forgotten or simply brushed off.limpbizkit818

i know

monco59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#7 monco59
Member since 2007 • 2473 Posts
Wars don't have the same impact as terrorism. Besides, humanity has grown pretty accustomed to war, but terrorism at the scale and media exposure levels of today is an unprecedented phenomenon, therefore it generates more buzz and stirs up more emotions. Rockstar is just covering it's ass. Can you imagine the boycotts GTAIV would get if someone were to fly a plane into a skyscraper in-game?
Rossdaboss777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Rossdaboss777
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts
because wars don't take place in america ? sound dumb but that the only thing I could think about .Prid3r
no rly thats true!
killercuts3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 killercuts3
Member since 2003 • 3355 Posts
It's because they think that by adding planes in the game it may become a simulator for extreme people to crash planes into buildings. With that said, it can seem hypocritical that they allow games like Americas Army and Desert Storm (which was a terrible game) to be released labeling them simulators in order to get people to enlist in the Army; oblivious to the fact that war kills more people everyday than the victims of 9/11. I agree, forget about 9/11 and look at what is happening in the world now. How can we look at the past and expect to learn from our mistakes when killing people is how people make a living nowadays. Now they want to ban planes from a video game? Disgusting. Get over 9/11.
DZBricktop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DZBricktop
Member since 2007 • 2914 Posts
Saints Row didn't have planes and everyone raises hell, GTA4 has no planes and everyone understands?
zeppelin6591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 zeppelin6591
Member since 2005 • 1332 Posts
It wouldn't be too long after the game's release that a "lol im an al kada tererist n nu york on 9/11 lol" video would pop up on youtube. Not that you can't simulate other tragedies in other games, but stuff like that would cause uproar.
rockhead1490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rockhead1490
Member since 2004 • 752 Posts
Uh, do you remember when they said they took out planes because youll only be in 1 city and theres nowhere to fly to?
unknown-phenom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 unknown-phenom
Member since 2006 • 1807 Posts

Well, Im very sorry for the people who died in 9/11 and the familys of those victems (you have my sorrow) but unless GTA4 takes place in the time frame that 9/11 did then I think they should have planes. It would take somebody really sick and sadistic to act out the 9/11 attacks anyway.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 emgesp

Uh, do you remember when they said they took out planes because youll only be in 1 city and theres nowhere to fly to?rockhead1490

They made it perfectly clear, they took them out, because of the 9/11 tragedy.

unknown-phenom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 unknown-phenom

Yea I think its stupid that they took planes out.Seemore10

Yea, you prolly werent affected by the 9/11 attacks either. I wasnt and I cant begin to imagin the sorrow that the people went through who had family in the attack and my heart goes out to them.

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts
It's because they think that by adding planes in the game it may become a simulator for extreme people to crash planes into buildings. With that said, it can seem hypocritical that they allow games like Americas Army and Desert Storm (which was a terrible game) to be released labeling them simulators in order to get people to enlist in the Army; oblivious to the fact that war kills more people everyday than the victims of 9/11. I agree, forget about 9/11 and look at what is happening in the world now. How can we look at the past and expect to learn from our mistakes when killing people is how people make a living nowadays. Now they want to ban planes from a video game? Disgusting. Get over 9/11. killercuts3
So now killing is acceptable :? Again, I would like to see someone who lost a loved that day say "lets just forget about it". No one is banning planes from video games, so nice job making that one up. If anything is disgusting, it's your post.
rockhead1490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rockhead1490

[QUOTE="rockhead1490"]Uh, do you remember when they said they took out planes because youll only be in 1 city and theres nowhere to fly to?emgesp

"There are no planes in GTA IV because there is only one city, and Rockstar want the game to seem realistic. That means there will be no rollerblades, no unicycles, probably no jetpacks and indeed no planes. Rockstar are giving choice and variety which feels right for the character. However there will be motorbikes."

There is absolutely no mention of 9/11 on the official site. That is their only reason. 

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 emgesp

Hey what if a bunch of WWll veterans said they wanted guns taking out of GTA4, nobody would give them a time of day.

Though, anytime somebody cries about planes in games/movies, because of 9/11 you have the whole damn media involved.

Bojankin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bojankin
Member since 2003 • 388 Posts

Flying around and skyding was an important part of the last GTA and changed the way the series is played. By removing planes for such an insignificant occurence, all they're doing is allowing the population of gamers to become more easily offended. People need to stop caring about people they don't know, tons of people die every day.

It's pointless to take out certain parts in games that could be used by a person to reinact killings, especially when the game is about killing ANYONE you want to. If the game had a mission where you crash a plane into a building then taking out that mission would be a smart decision. This really will effect the gameplay for me.

deviates1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deviates1080
Member since 2006 • 1926 Posts
Political correctness gone mad. 
blue_tape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 blue_tape
Member since 2007 • 2868 Posts
The news about planes does not exclude other forms of air travel. Helicopters, hang gliders and base-jumping are still on the table, as far as I can imagine. Obviously, those complaining about when America will get over 9/11 didn't know any of the 3,000+ people who died in those attacks on national symbols, or weren't there in the aftermath trying to rescue people and salvaging what they could, since nothing else made sense at the time. Is it even remotely necessary to recreate the 9/11 attacks in a video game at the expense of so many others' feelings?
turgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 turgore
Member since 2006 • 7859 Posts

no planes is a small price to pay if thats what is going to get NYC to cool down about the game looking like NY.Mikerules868

NY was done to death... 

Ryo_Kensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#23 Ryo_Kensen
Member since 2005 • 3480 Posts

How can you simply forget one of the biggest tradgedies our nation has ever faced? NEVER forget that day. It was also one of the few times in our country's recent history where our nation came together, it didn't matter what political party we supported, it only mattered that there were thousands of grieving families out there and millions of people felt their pain, too.

So don't just brush away the past. 

turgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 turgore
[QUOTE="emgesp"]

[QUOTE="rockhead1490"]Uh, do you remember when they said they took out planes because youll only be in 1 city and theres nowhere to fly to?rockhead1490

"There are no planes in GTA IV because there is only one city, and Rockstar want the game to seem realistic. That means there will be no rollerblades, no unicycles, probably no jetpacks and indeed no planes. Rockstar are giving choice and variety which feels right for the character. However there will be motorbikes."

There is absolutely no mention of 9/11 on the official site. That is their only reason.

That's dumb...only motorbikes and cars .Dumb. 

rockhead1490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 rockhead1490
I want to see where rockstar stated theyre taking airplanes out of gta due to 9/11. I totally agree with them taking it out, YOU HAVE NOWHERE TO FLY. Whats so fun about flying for 2 minutes and then hitting the boundry? Nothing. Besides, weve all played in liberty city before, where do suspect to land the plane in the middle of the street? Theyre going for a realistic effect, and taking a jet plane through chinatown isnt realistic.
turgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 turgore

I want to see where rockstar stated theyre taking airplanes out of gta due to 9/11. I totally agree with them taking it out, YOU HAVE NOWHERE TO FLY. Whats so fun about flying for 2 minutes and then hitting the boundry? Nothing. Besides, weve all played in liberty city before, where do suspect to land the plane in the middle of the street? Theyre going for a realistic effect, and taking a jet plane through chinatown isnt realistic.rockhead1490

No but crashing it on the street is fun. First fugly graphics and now this. I think I'll pass GTA4. 

deviates1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deviates1080
[QUOTE="emgesp"]

[QUOTE="rockhead1490"]Uh, do you remember when they said they took out planes because youll only be in 1 city and theres nowhere to fly to?rockhead1490

Terrible reasoning. A game based on a city which has three airports in close proximity has been made "realistic" by taking planes out? What about private planes? I'm from the UK but I know from reading the article about the baseball player dying in  a plane accident that the city has facilities for small aircrafts.

RebornInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#28 RebornInFlames
Member since 2006 • 1192 Posts
What??? No Planes???? I was going to fly a plane into the chrylser building and rig it with bombs :(
aresdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29 aresdude
Member since 2005 • 296 Posts
I'm assuming you don't live in New York. If I am correct on my assumption, then I ask you to try to realize what 9/11 means to the millions of New Yorker's. Even allowing the possibility of a recreation of something close to 9/11 in a video game would not only be immoral, but it would also cause a whole lot of unnecessary trouble for Rockstar.
Hoobinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Hoobinator
Member since 2006 • 6899 Posts

If they took planes out because of 9/11 then that is some hypocritical bull**** and yes we should get over 9/11, last time I remembered millions die every year because of injustices and wars, famines, neglected by humanity at large, but one incident is just oh so much to take in. It's the idea that offends americans most not the action.

Gun crime in NY alone has probably killed and injured more people down the past few decades than any terrorist incidents. 

Hoobinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Hoobinator

Wars don't have the same impact as terrorism. monco59

That's probably one of the most stupidest things I think I've read on GS forums for a while. Wars kill on a scale that terrorirsm can only dream about. The reason why terrorism is given more coverage is because it's sensationalist, you can use it to your own advantage, further your own agendas. 

deviates1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deviates1080

The news about planes does not exclude other forms of air travel. Helicopters, hang gliders and base-jumping are still on the table, as far as I can imagine. Obviously, those complaining about when America will get over 9/11 didn't know any of the 3,000+ people who died in those attacks on national symbols, or weren't there in the aftermath trying to rescue people and salvaging what they could, since nothing else made sense at the time. Is it even remotely necessary to recreate the 9/11 attacks in a video game at the expense of so many others' feelings?blue_tape

9/11 was a sad event, we don't need to get into that but this is crazy. In the UK we've suffered our own numerous tragedies but that doesn't mean we are going to change anything we do (which is what has happened here) because of this sort of attack. This just continues to show how deeply the terrorists scarred the US.

unknown-phenom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 unknown-phenom

How can you simply forget one of the biggest tradgedies our nation has ever faced? NEVER forget that day. It was also one of the few times in our country's recent history where our nation came together, it didn't matter what political party we supported, it only mattered that there were thousands of grieving families out there and millions of people felt their pain, too.

Ryo_Kensen

Yea. On that day we didnt care about religion, sex, race, or social status. We united to help a higher need. We may of had Racist people digging through the rubble trying to find survivors and I bet you that if he came across a black man then he would of grabbed his arm and got him out of there. This is what America is all about, unity in the face if disaster. Thats what makes true americans, Caring about our fellow american.

aresdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 aresdude

If they took planes out because of 9/11 then that is some hypocritical bull**** and yes we should get over 9/11, last time I remembered millions die every year because of injustices and wars, famines, neglected by humanity at large, but one incident is just oh so much to take in. It's the idea that offends americans most not the action.Hoobinator

9/11 happened because of a group of muslim terrorists, who hate America with all their might, went unoppossed. At the cost of a few of their lives, they were able to kill a huge number of innocent Americans. In the Islamic nations, people cheered on the streets at the news of this horrible event.

Telling people to, as you put it, "we should get over 9/11", is like telling people to forget it ever happened, and if that happens, an event similiar to 9/11 is bound to happen again.

As a New Yorker, saying this would be like me saying, "forget about slavery" to african americans, "forget about the Holocaust" to jewish people, and saying "forget about (insert event)" to (insert group of people).

I can assure you that the african american community would not appreciate a video game that had recreations of slavery that occured, and that jews would not want a video game that had gas chambers, etc.

MuffinPunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36 MuffinPunk
Member since 2007 • 4845 Posts
[QUOTE="Bojankin"]

Flying around and skyding was an important part of the last GTA and changed the way the series is played. By removing planes for such an insignificant occurence, all they're doing is allowing the population of gamers to become more easily offended. People need to stop caring about people they don't know, tons of people die every day.

It's pointless to take out certain parts in games that could be used by a person to reinact killings, especially when the game is about killing ANYONE you want to. If the game had a mission where you crash a plane into a building then taking out that mission would be a smart decision. This really will effect the gameplay for me.

unknown-phenom

Insignificant?!??!?!?! Gamers will get easily offended?!?!?!?! You are heartless!! Think about how the victims familys will be offended!!! Your talking about death asthough its nothing! Your a cruel and dispicable person. I swear if you lived in the town I do I would beat your face in and carve out your eyes. Your existence is worthless.

OMG! That was hilarious! "Carve out your eyes" was my favorite part! Right on man, great speech!

halo3-player

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 halo3-player
Member since 2006 • 6036 Posts

yah that stinks but hey well live and also um what do you think is the best GTA i want to do some replaying

Hoobinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Hoobinator
The thing is, if there happened to be a mission in GTA4 in which you must fly a plane into the twin towers then that would be gross and disgusting, but there isn't. It's just planes, the same planes that happen to fly into and out of NY everyday. So I don't even see what's so offensive about it. People fly planes all the time, but now the act of flying in or around NY is just oh so reprehensible.
RebornInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#39 RebornInFlames
Member since 2006 • 1192 Posts

I'm assuming you don't live in New York. If I am correct on my assumption, then I ask you to try to realize what 9/11 means to the millions of New Yorker's. Even allowing the possibility of a recreation of something close to 9/11 in a video game would not only be immoral, but it would also cause a whole lot of unnecessary trouble for Rockstar.aresdude

Dude, I've been recreating 911 in san andreas since it came out.....its not like you cant do that in any ms flight sim game

Hoobinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Hoobinator

[QUOTE="Hoobinator"]If they took planes out because of 9/11 then that is some hypocritical bull**** and yes we should get over 9/11, last time I remembered millions die every year because of injustices and wars, famines, neglected by humanity at large, but one incident is just oh so much to take in. It's the idea that offends americans most not the action.aresdude

9/11 happened because of a group of muslim terrorists, who hate America with all their might, went unoppossed. At the cost of a few of their lives, they were able to kill a huge number of innocent Americans. In the Islamic nations, people cheered on the streets at the news of this horrible event.

Telling people to, as you put it, "we should get over 9/11", is like telling people to forget it ever happened, and if that happens, an event similiar to 9/11 is bound to happen again.

As a New Yorker, saying this would be like me saying, "forget about slavery" to african americans, "forget about the Holocaust" to jewish people, and saying "forget about (insert event)" to (insert group of people).

I can assure you that the african american community would not appreciate a video game that had recreations of slavery that occured, and that jews would not want a video game that had gas chambers, etc.

OK, then ban all war games, people died in wars. Ban all WW2 shooters, ban all vietnam war games, ban all games set in Iraq because over 40,000 innocent Muslim Iraqi's have died and thousands of US soldiers. Ban all shooters taking place in america because of its extortonate gun crime. Ban all America's Army games because crased american army's are destroying parts of the world.

See where I'm going here.  

rockhead1490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 rockhead1490
So when is everyone going to stop using 9/11 as a scapegoat? Rockstar has always done what they have wanted, and if they wanted planes in their game, they would be there. If the reasoning was 9/11 they would tell you, what reason would they have to lie? Especially when their reason makes sense, seriously people. 9/11 was a tradgedy, yes we all know, but just because you can fly a plane doesnt mean you can drive it into a building and cause it to collapse, and cause mass chaos throughout the city, and i highly doubt it has anything to do with their decision. Unless somebody gives me an official link, quoting rockstar saying that their reasoning behind excluding planes is due to september 11th, im just going to assume that people are just being ignorant, and finding a way to complain about something they cannot change.
aresdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 aresdude

The thing is, if there happened to be a mission in GTA4 in which you must fly a plane into the twin towers then that would be gross and disgusting, but there isn't. It's just planes, the same planes that happen to fly into and out of NY everyday. So I don't even see what's so offensive about it. People fly planes all the time, but now the act of flying in or around NY is just oh so reprehensible.Hoobinator

Why would they even risk giving you the posibility to do that?

It would only mean trouble if Rockstar included planes in New York City.

But then again, you go ahead and don't buy this game because it doesn't have planes. If planes are so important to you, buy... *gasp* a PLANE game. 

Ryo_Kensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#43 Ryo_Kensen
Member since 2005 • 3480 Posts
[QUOTE="Ryo_Kensen"]

unknown-phenom

Yea. On that day we didnt care about religion, sex, race, or social status. We united to help a higher need. We may of had Racist people digging through the rubble trying to find survivors and I bet you that if he came across a black man then he would of grabbed his arm and got him out of there. This is what America is all about, unity in the face if disaster. Thats what makes true americans, Caring about our fellow american.

Amen to that. :) 

deviates1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deviates1080
I can't believe how much support this move is getting. It seems to me many Americans seem to think they way to show you care is to act like it happened yesterday. Here in Britain we took the attitude that if you let terrorism affects you it wins. The US reacted to 9/11 like they were the first country to experience terrorism, and what is truly sad is that the terrorist's effects still live on even now.
Hoobinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Hoobinator

[QUOTE="Hoobinator"]The thing is, if there happened to be a mission in GTA4 in which you must fly a plane into the twin towers then that would be gross and disgusting, but there isn't. It's just planes, the same planes that happen to fly into and out of NY everyday. So I don't even see what's so offensive about it. People fly planes all the time, but now the act of flying in or around NY is just oh so reprehensible.aresdude

Why would they even risk giving you the posibility to do that?

It would only mean trouble if Rockstar included planes in New York City.

Why not include them, they have a right to freedom of expression. Including them in the game is upholding that right.

And yes I am going to buy it.

aresdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 aresdude
[QUOTE="aresdude"]

[QUOTE="Hoobinator"]If they took planes out because of 9/11 then that is some hypocritical bull**** and yes we should get over 9/11, last time I remembered millions die every year because of injustices and wars, famines, neglected by humanity at large, but one incident is just oh so much to take in. It's the idea that offends americans most not the action.Hoobinator

OK, then ban all war games, people died in wars. Ban all WW2 shooters, ban all vietnam war games, ban all games set in Iraq because over 40,000 innocent Muslim Iraqi's have died and thousands of US soldiers. Ban all shooters taking place in america because of its extortonate gun crime. Ban all America's Army games because crased american army's are destroying parts of the world.

World War II did not happen in the last 10 years first of all. If you wanna toy with a 9/11 idea 50 years from now, it will be less severe, because the generation of people playing it will not have experienced 9/11 first hand. Banning all shooters wouldn't make sense, because shooters generally use fictional characters, and don't use things that recreate tragic events.

OH and can you tell me which games are taking place in Iraq? I really wanna know.

Hoobinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Hoobinator
[QUOTE="Hoobinator"][QUOTE="aresdude"]

[QUOTE="Hoobinator"]If they took planes out because of 9/11 then that is some hypocritical bull**** and yes we should get over 9/11, last time I remembered millions die every year because of injustices and wars, famines, neglected by humanity at large, but one incident is just oh so much to take in. It's the idea that offends americans most not the action.aresdude

World War II did not happen in the last 10 years first of all. If you wanna toy with a 9/11 idea 50 years from now, it will be less severe, because the generation of people playing it will not have experienced 9/11 first hand. Banning all shooters wouldn't make sense, because shooters generally use fictional characters, and don't use things that recreate tragic events.

OH and can you tell me which games are taking place in Iraq? I really wanna know.

Last time I checked Liberty City was a fictional city :| The events that take place in GTA games have always been fictional, but now it's teh terrozist simulator :cry: .

And as for the Iraq part I should have put middle east instead, games like Battlefield 2.

automatic_13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 automatic_13
Member since 2003 • 37 Posts
wars don't take place in America?...so the Civil War wasn't a war?