Dark Souls Impossible to play with a friend

• 105 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jovahutcwsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jovahutcwsu
Member since 2010 • 58 Posts

So it seems that these developers have made a wonderful game, but brings it way down by implementing the stupidest idea... It's nearly impossiilble to play with a friend you know, or simply not feasible. In demons souls it was difficult but at least it could be done with hard work... It seems with Dark Souls they've made it completely impossible...

Case: Me and my demons souls buddy planned on playing dark souls together. When Start playing dark souls, finally get our stones after being punished them make an attempt to summon. I'm alive, he's dead, we are both the same level, and in an area where a boss lives. We tried every which way, the sign does not show up... They must have made random dimensions on different servers with no relation to each other, so that it's impossible to technically locate someone you know. It sucks, and they need to fix this immeadiately... It's too great of a game to be drragged down by something so fundamental.

Avatar image for JayQproductions
JayQproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 JayQproductions
Member since 2007 • 1806 Posts

in order to do co-op in Dark Souls you will need to do a few things. First off you will need the White Sign Soapstone, Also if you are trying to summon you must of used humanity to turn yourself human again. The second thing you will need to do in order to play multiplayer in Dark Souls is beat the Taurus Demon.

link - http://www.gamersheroes.com/how-to-play-co-op-in-dark-souls

jovahutcwsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jovahutcwsu

Did you not read what I wrote? That is not the problem. I know exactly what I'm doing and how to do it... The problem is that it does not work, because they intentionally don't want it to.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

in order to do co-op in Dark Souls you will need to do a few things. First off you will need the White Sign Soapstone, Also if you are trying to summon you must of used humanity to turn yourself human again. The second thing you will need to do in order to play multiplayer in Dark Souls is beat the Taurus Demon.

JayQproductions

Why all the pre-reqs? Unless everything they mention happens right in the beginning of the game, I dont see why they'd make it a pain to play with your friends.

Avatar image for JayQproductions
JayQproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JayQproductions
Member since 2007 • 1806 Posts

Did you not read what I wrote? That is not the problem. I know exactly what I'm doing and how to do it... The problem is that it does not work, because they intentionally don't want it to.

jovahutcwsu

yes, i read what you wrote, but you said nothing about beating the boss needed to play co-op, just covering all the bases. other than that, from what i read there is no co-op with people you know, only strangers because they dont want you to feel comfortable, the game is all about being difficult and making you feel helpless.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#6 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts

[QUOTE="JayQproductions"]

firefox59

Why all the pre-reqs? Unless everything they mention happens right in the beginning of the game, I dont see why they'd make it a pain to play with your friends.

they want you to prove you don't need online help before you can use it

jovahutcwsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jovahutcwsu

Who cares what they want, no matter which way you look at it, it's stupid not to let friends play together.

BFKZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 BFKZ
Member since 2004 • 1728 Posts
Isnt it obvious that the guys who made demon souls hate all gamers?
Grymreign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Grymreign
Member since 2006 • 119 Posts

They made it that way intentionally....it is supposed to give the feeling of wandering around as a soul and getting help from people you don't even know. The game is supposed to be a mystery....not play with your friends and already have a pre set strategy to win. Another way that they made the game difficult. If you could play with friends you would be able to choose the classes that compliment each other and in return potentially make the game easier. They are never going to fix it because like I said at the beginning of my post....they did it intentionally.

Avatar image for ChristopherRage
ChristopherRage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 ChristopherRage
Member since 2007 • 490 Posts

Clearly this is not the game for you then. The developers intentionally designed the game this way. It's not stupid, it's doing exactly as it is designed to do. That's like going to a restaurant and ordering a meal and then complaining that they didn't make your food the way you wanted it.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

While I don't think it's stupid necessarily, I will agree that the online is worse than Demon's Souls. I'm not sure how it all work quite frankly, somewhere I read there are different lobbies and that's why it's impossible to play with a friend unless you meet up by sheer luck. So yeah, a bit disappointing, but I'm still loving the game.

jovahutcwsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jovahutcwsu

@Christopher... What's wrong with complaining and having the waiter make your food the way you want it? It is my food isn't it? I did pay for it, didn't I? Don't tell me this game isn't for me, I've probably got more time put into demons souls and dark souls than all of you...

I think many people agree with me that simple multiplayer is a standard in these times, even if they did want the game to "feel" a certain way... It's simply not acceptable among the majority of users. So fix it!

Avatar image for AWolfoftheCalla
AWolfoftheCalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AWolfoftheCalla
Member since 2011 • 162 Posts
i did not realize you had to be human to summon other players.... NO WONDER i havent seen more than 2 summon signs in 10 hours of gameplay. im freaking hollow all the time because humanity is almost non-existent and dieing so frequent.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#14 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5904 Posts

firefox59

This is actually what bothers me about these games. It is just the little things like this that make it too much to deal with...

AWolfoftheCalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AWolfoftheCalla

[QUOTE="firefox59"]

Blueresident87

This is actually what bothers me about these games. It is just the little things like this that make it too much to deal with...

not the game for you then. i dont see how not being able to play with friends is a deal breaker for anyone.... just 6 short years ago, before the 360 and PS3, multiplayer games practically didnt exist outside of halo. If it wasnt a fighter or a sports game, you pretty much werent playing it with a friend. how times have changed. besides, its not that the game design is unintentionally obtuse and hard to use.... it is MEANT to not allow you to play with friends. its the game designers vision of how you are supposed to play the game... you cant argue with that. you can either accept that and enjoy the game, or choose not to buy it.

jovahutcwsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jovahutcwsu

@wolf, have you even really played the game...?

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#17 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5904 Posts

[QUOTE="Blueresident87"]

[QUOTE="firefox59"]Why all the pre-reqs? Unless everything they mention happens right in the beginning of the game, I dont see why they'd make it a pain to play with your friends.AWolfoftheCalla

not the game for you then. i dont see how not being able to play with friends is a deal breaker for anyone.... just 6 short years ago, before the 360 and PS3, multiplayer games practically didnt exist outside of halo. If it wasnt a fighter or a sports game, you pretty much werent playing it with a friend. how times have changed. besides, its not that the game design is unintentionally obtuse and hard to use.... it is MEANT to not allow you to play with friends. its the game designers vision of how you are supposed to play the game... you cant argue with that. you can either accept that and enjoy the game, or choose not to buy it.

The multiplayer issue didn't bother me, it was the whole 'soapstone' thing or whatever...that's wildly unnecessary. Just let people play multiplayer or not.....
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 firefox59
[QUOTE="AWolfoftheCalla"]

[QUOTE="Blueresident87"]

Why all the pre-reqs? Unless everything they mention happens right in the beginning of the game, I dont see why they'd make it a pain to play with your friends.firefox59

It's kind of like you said. Co-op and MP is the trend now and that's what a lot of gamers want. Now they obviously didn't make a big deal about this cause they know it would have affected game sales. I swear its like the devs didn't want people to buy this game.
doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 29

#19 doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts
no matter the y way you see it one should be able to play with their friend if the game is online capable.... imagine a board discussion: - "hey what about co-op can we include that?" - "yes, but only with randoms so no one can get help from their friends" - "but what if the player does want the help, or have fun with a friend on Dark souls?" - "fun? the only fun one can get while playing this game is when they're dead! they need to bleed their eyes because that's the way I wanted it to be"
AWolfoftheCalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AWolfoftheCalla
[QUOTE="doubalfa"]no matter the y way you see it one should be able to play with their friend if the game is online capable.... imagine a board discussion: - "hey what about co-op can we include that?" - "yes, but only with randoms so no one can get help from their friends" - "but what if the player does want the help, or have fun with a friend on Dark souls?" - "fun? the only fun one can get while playing this game is when they're dead! they need to bleed their eyes because that's the way I wanted it to be"

no they shouldnt, if the game designers dont want you to. end of story.
AWolfoftheCalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AWolfoftheCalla

[QUOTE="Blueresident87"]

Blueresident87

The multiplayer issue didn't bother me, it was the whole 'soapstone' thing or whatever...that's wildly unnecessary. Just let people play multiplayer or not.....

soapstone? its just an item that allows you to be summoned by players..... how is that a problem?
jovahutcwsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jovahutcwsu

90% of gamers oppose this handling of online coop n dark souls... Wolf supports it...

AWolfoftheCalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AWolfoftheCalla

90% of gamers oppose this handling of online coop n dark souls... Wolf supports it...

jovahutcwsu

90%? its like you and 2 other people in this thread... i see nobody else complaining rofl...

doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 doubalfa
the choice to play with a friend > not having a choice
AWolfoftheCalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AWolfoftheCalla
the choice to play with a friend > not having a choicedoubalfa
the way the game designers intended you to play the game > you getting your way just because you are spoiled.
mr_zombie60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mr_zombie60
Member since 2007 • 560 Posts

I can understand how this may pain some of you, but I also find this to be your fault. If you bought this game expecting to play with your friends and just have plain dumb fun, well too bad. That isn't that game. So stop your bickering. Direct co-op wasn't in Demon Souls, it's not going to be in Dark Souls. Don't like it, well also too bad. I personally love the co-op system. I can easily find someone to tag along with and finish a boss or I can go farm bosses by assisting others. I don't honestly expect multiplayer to have much bearing on my gameplay time though.

jovahutcwsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jovahutcwsu

@zombie, I realize that. All I'm saying is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. At least in demons souls you could play with a friend by working really hard at it. In Dark Souls it's P2P, different lobbies, so it matches randomly with somone with a close ping. You might get lucky and get your friend in once, other than that it's random...

AWolfoftheCalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AWolfoftheCalla

I can understand how this may pain some of you, but I also find this to be your fault. If you bought this game expecting to play with your friends and just have plain dumb fun, well too bad. That isn't that game. So stop your bickering. Direct co-op wasn't in Demon Souls, it's not going to be in Dark Souls. Don't like it, well also too bad. I personally love the co-op system. I can easily find someone to tag along with and finish a boss or I can go farm bosses by assisting others. I don't honestly expect multiplayer to have much bearing on my gameplay time though.

mr_zombie60
this, exactly.
AWolfoftheCalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AWolfoftheCalla

@zombie, I realize that. All I'm saying is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. At least in demons souls you could play with a friend by working really hard at it. In Dark Souls it's P2P, different lobbies, so it matches randomly with somone with a close ping. You might get lucky and get your friend in once, other than that it's random...

jovahutcwsu
no its not... you act like the signs on the ground are random... they arent. if there is a sign on the ground, it is because someone specifically put it there. it doesnt, however, show every sign and every hint that has ever been placed on the ground. that part IS random. it doesnt match you with a random person if you click on a sign though, that is THAT persons signs that you are selecting...
doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 doubalfa
so forcing a user is better than giving him the option to do it?
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 firefox59

[QUOTE="jovahutcwsu"] 90%? its like you and 2 other people in this thread... i see nobody else complaining rofl...

AWolfoftheCalla
[QUOTE="AWolfoftheCalla"][QUOTE="jovahutcwsu"]

no its not... you act like the signs on the ground are random... they arent. if there is a sign on the ground, it is because someone specifically put it there. it doesnt, however, show every sign and every hint that has ever been placed on the ground. that part IS random. it doesnt match you with a random person if you click on a sign though, that is THAT persons signs that you are selecting...

I don't see how you can argue this. We have gotten over the weird requirement to co-op. But not being able to co-op with your friends? That has NOTHING to do with difficulty. Why the game would force you to work with other people is like taking rights away from the gamer. Most people don't want to co-op with complete strangers.
AWolfoftheCalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AWolfoftheCalla
so forcing a user is better than giving him the option to do it? doubalfa
if that is how they intended you to play the game, then yes...
doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 doubalfa
they intended for the game to have co op so why limit it?
AWolfoftheCalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AWolfoftheCalla

[QUOTE="jovahutcwsu"] [QUOTE="AWolfoftheCalla"][QUOTE="jovahutcwsu"]

firefox59

I don't see how you can argue this. We have gotten over the weird requirement to co-op. But not being able to co-op with your friends? That has NOTHING to do with difficulty. Why the game would force you to work with other people is like taking rights away from the gamer. Most people don't want to co-op with complete strangers.

so now it is your right to play with your friends? where is this "bill of gamer rights" that has this written? i want to play word of warcraft like a first person shooter.... but i cant, because the designers want me to play it like a standard MMO. they designed it that way... sucks to be me right? if i dont like it, i dont have to play it/buy it.

the designers have said repeatedly that they dont want you to play with friends, because they dont want you to be able to coordinate with anyone, feel comfortable, or communicate with others in the game world. The people you summon are supposed to be random travelers from alternate time streams in your world.... its not like inviting a friend over to kill some undead. The game world is supposed to be hard, uncompromising, and unfriendly.

AWolfoftheCalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AWolfoftheCalla
they intended for the game to have co op so why limit it?doubalfa
because the idea of coop in the game is a vital mechanic to how it is played...having to work with strangers is a vital mechanic of the world and story...you are meant to not know who your helper is. they are meant to be a mystery, unfamiliar, unpredictable... just like the game itself.
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 firefox59

[QUOTE="firefox59"][QUOTE="AWolfoftheCalla"] no its not... you act like the signs on the ground are random... they arent. if there is a sign on the ground, it is because someone specifically put it there. it doesnt, however, show every sign and every hint that has ever been placed on the ground. that part IS random. it doesnt match you with a random person if you click on a sign though, that is THAT persons signs that you are selecting...AWolfoftheCalla

so now it is your right to play with your friends? where is this "bill of gamer rights" that has this written? i want to play word of warcraft like a first person shooter.... but i cant, because the designers want me to play it like a standard MMO. they designed it that way... sucks to be me right? if i dont like it, i dont have to play it/buy it.

the designers have said repeatedly that they dont want you to play with friends, because they dont want you to be able to coordinate with anyone, feel comfortable, or communicate with others in the game world. The people you summon are supposed to be random travelers from alternate time streams in your world.... its not like inviting a friend over to kill some undead. The game world is supposed to be hard, uncompromising, and unfriendly.

Hyperbolic over exaggeration is hyperbolic. If they didn't want you to play with friends then they wouldn't have included co-op....
mr_zombie60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mr_zombie60
Member since 2007 • 560 Posts

[QUOTE="firefox59"] I don't see how you can argue this. We have gotten over the weird requirement to co-op. But not being able to co-op with your friends? That has NOTHING to do with difficulty. Why the game would force you to work with other people is like taking rights away from the gamer. Most people don't want to co-op with complete strangers.firefox59

Hyperbolic over exaggeration is hyperbolic. If they didn't want you to play with friends then they wouldn't have included co-op....

What..? Why must that be true? Lets put aside whatever reasons they may have for not incorporating friends into coop.. At its base Dark Souls is meant to be a single player experience (or at least can be played as if singleplayer was the complete game). How can you not at least find co-op a worthy addition to these games even if you cant play with friends? Okay, it stinks a little bit not being able to have your loyal companion at your side for any duration of the game, but the coop is still really fun! Have you actually tried the co-op in this game? It isn't as arbitrary and mundane as you make it out to be.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 firefox59

[QUOTE="firefox59"][QUOTE="AWolfoftheCalla"]

AWolfoftheCalla

and misuse of the word "hyperbolic" makes you look dense... nothing in my statement was exaggerated. so... coop is only meant to be used in a videogame to play with friends.... ever? period? Are you just making this stuff up as you go or what? have you read anything about this game at all? in pretty much every press statement having to do with the multiplayer features they specifically state they dont want the players to play with friends....you are MEANT to only play with strangers, because in the world of dark souls, you are on your own and the strangers that come into your world to help you are crossing over dimensions for a brief time. how many times do we have to tell you, the game was not designed to be played with friends.... you should have done your research before buying it.

Dude, Hyperbolic is a form of the word Hyperbole, it isn't just a geometric function. And I don't care about what the devs intended, I'm just saying included co-op is kinda pointless if you can't play with who you want. People randomly popping into and out of your world isn't realistic so why not let you co-op with your buds.

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

[QUOTE="doubalfa"]no matter the y way you see it one should be able to play with their friend if the game is online capable.... imagine a board discussion: - "hey what about co-op can we include that?" - "yes, but only with randoms so no one can get help from their friends" - "but what if the player does want the help, or have fun with a friend on Dark souls?" - "fun? the only fun one can get while playing this game is when they're dead! they need to bleed their eyes because that's the way I wanted it to be"AWolfoftheCalla
no they shouldnt, if the game designers dont want you to. end of story.

Pretty much agree with the Wolf. This game has multiplayeras a luxury to the player to assist in the difficulty. This is a single-player game first, do not forget this. The developers are already throwing you a bone by letting you summon a random player to assist, something they didn't have to do, so they're not going to spoil you by decreasing the difficulty even further by letting you co-op with already known players/friends. For example, I had trouble fighting the Butterfly. Could not for the life of me beat him. Summoned help, and easily overcame him through silent gesture communication and teamwork, without chat. Kind of embarassed afterwards at how easy the fight was, realized all my errors preventing me from winning in the first place.

Bottom line is: Dark Souls is a single-player game with a misery loves company co-op system. This is the way the devs designed it, you bought, live with it, adapt, and enjoy. Not a big deal really. I'm having a blast rompin through the game world solo.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

For anyone unclear on the proper use of the word "hyperbole" I suggest you check any of the fine dictionary websites available on the internet. I'm not going to participate in that discussion because it's idiotic.

As for the game, I like the system they used for co-op. At its core, this is not a multiplayer game. It's a single player game with multiplayer elements. The fact that you cannot opt out of Invasions, the fact that there's no voice chat, etc make this game unique and interesting. It's all about atmosphere and immersion. Demon's Souls did it the same way and that didn't stop it from becoming an extremely popular title. This game is brutal, unforgiving and frankly stressful but the sense of accomplishment you get from it is greater as a result. I disagree that co-op is "pointless" if you can't play with friends.

Too many games today are ruined by the developer's attempt to shoe-horn a co-op mode into what otherwise might have been a decent game (Resident Evil 5 being the worst example). Making a game true co-op requires slicing and dicing a game up into chapters, mission checkpoints, skirmish modes, etc. Doing so would have ruined this game. If that's what you're looking for, then maybe this isn't the game for you. You have no sympathy from me, however, because literally every other co-op game for the 360 (Halo, GoW, Army of Two, CoD, etc, etc) is already taliored to your preference so it's not like you've been left out in the cold.

-Byshop

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#43 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
What a load of crap... This sounds worse than Monster Hunter Tri. After days of trying to play with some coworkers I just gave up and tossed the game
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Byshop  Moderator

Just out of curiosity, how many of the people on this thread who are complaining about the multiplayer have actually played the game versus just complaining because they read somewhere that you can't play with friends?

-Byshop

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#46 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
The problem is developers tacking on features they don't know how to implement properly. Either do it right or don't do it at all. I'd rather deal with AI than some random kid screwing around
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Byshop  Moderator

The problem is developers tacking on features they don't know how to implement properly. Either do it right or don't do it at all. I'd rather deal with AI than some random kid screwing aroundistuffedsunny

I'll take that as a "No" to my question then. If you haven't played it then you don't understand how the multiplayer works. I'd explain what makes it actually pretty cool, but you seem like you've already made up your mind so I won't waste my time.

-Byshop

AWolfoftheCalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 AWolfoftheCalla

The problem is developers tacking on features they don't know how to implement properly. Either do it right or don't do it at all. I'd rather deal with AI than some random kid screwing aroundistuffedsunny

no, the problem is gamers like you that dont understand that the system is implemented EXACTLY the way they wanted it to be.

The developers dont want players to be playing with friends... end of story. it is YOUR PROBLEM. not theirs. play it the way they want you to, or find a different game.

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

The Co-op is implemented very well. You obviously have not played the game, and therefore should not be speaking about the components of it, since you have had no experience with it. I assure you, if you tried it and didn't have the mindset "ZomG CanT play wITH BFF? TEH FAIL LOLOLOL" and actually embrace the idea that the game WANTS YOU to feel alone and hopeless ( in otherwords, WITHOUT friends) then the fact that the game offers even a form of cooperative play seems like a saving grace.

This isn't Call of Duty, this isn't Gears of War. This is Dark Souls, and all you have at any given moment is yourself. Self-reliance people!

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 firefox59

[QUOTE="firefox59"]

and misuse of the word "hyperbolic" makes you look dense... nothing in my statement was exaggerated. so... coop is only meant to be used in a videogame to play with friends.... ever? period? Are you just making this stuff up as you go or what? have you read anything about this game at all? in pretty much every press statement having to do with the multiplayer features they specifically state they dont want the players to play with friends....you are MEANT to only play with strangers, because in the world of dark souls, you are on your own and the strangers that come into your world to help you are crossing over dimensions for a brief time. how many times do we have to tell you, the game was not designed to be played with friends.... you should have done your research before buying it.AWolfoftheCalla

Dude, Hyperbolic is a form of the word Hyperbole, it isn't just a geometric function. And I don't care about what the devs intended, I'm just saying included co-op is kinda pointless if you can't play with who you want. People randomly popping into and out of your world isn't realistic so why not let you co-op with your buds.

dude.... im pretty sure i know how to use the word hyperbolic better than you do, since you misused it earlier. nothing that i stated was exaggerated... hence your misuse of the word.

coop has a point even if you cant play with friends.... you can still play with others, and it plays an important part in the lore and mechanics of the game. therefore it is not "pointless". and "realistic"??? what part of dark souls is... AT ALL... realistic?

Well then your wrong.