Dark Souls Impossible to play with a friend

• 105 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#51 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Well then your wrong.firefox59

I think you mean "you're".

-Byshop

Noobverest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Noobverest
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="istuffedsunny"]The problem is developers tacking on features they don't know how to implement properly. Either do it right or don't do it at all. I'd rather deal with AI than some random kid screwing aroundAWolfoftheCalla

no, the problem is gamers like you that dont understand that the system is implemented EXACTLY the way they wanted it to be.

The developers dont want players to be playing with friends... end of story. it is YOUR PROBLEM. not theirs. play it the way they want you to, or find a different game.

I don't think you've done proper research on how the developers wanted the game to be either, so you're not allowed to criticize anyone. I have done some research so that I can criticize what you're suggesting from your point of view; it's something I like doing, so sue me. http://www.next-gen.biz/features/dark-souls-preview There are direct quotes from the director himself when Dark Souls was in the making, so this would truly be his ideals. "When playing in a dark, cold, gloomy world, the one place where the player can get some rest is the brightly lit, warm beacon fire. That players can set these fires up for other adventurers playing in their own game adds to the sense of co-operation, even if it's in a remote way. This is the feeling that probably defines Dark Souls more than any other." This is a direct quote from the article. It would seem from that context that the director did not want the player to play in a completely isolated situation, he wanted the players to feel a sense of presence from other players yet not directly interacting with all of them. This suggests that he encourages a form of multi-player which is currently non-existent or near non-existent due to certain issues. He never said that friends were not meant to play together; that was the self-assured image that you projected for yourself. The lack of text and voice chat is to give a sense of warmth from having someone near you, yet being unable to communicate because the summoned images are meant to be beings from another time; so actual communication is not possible. I assume this would be what the director wanted, after reading his article and ideals it seems that this was the atmosphere or feel that he wanted to give to the players, not a sense of complete loneliness. "These kind of battles are built into the game. It ebbs and flows seamlessly between single- and multiplayer, so that those distinctions are no longer really relevant. I think we have found a delicate balance in which sometimes players must compete and sometimes they must cooperate. That tension is interesting to me." Further down the article, another quote from the director. This quote shows that he is encouraging multi-player interaction be it PVP or co-op, Again suggesting that your own personal opinion about how the game was meant to played as a single player game; completely untrue and biased towards your own opinion. Another short article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-24-dark-souls-1-5x-as-big-as-demons-souls "What's more, Dark Souls will be a multi-platform game and not a PS3 exclusive. From Software also has big plans for multiple multiplayer modes, although what those are we don't yet know." Another quote from a game website: the projected image towards the general public is that Dark Souls is a game that has multi-player modes and that it isn't a single player game. This is a form of advertisement that is given to the gaming websites, and if such an image is given to gaming websites yet when the product is finalized and not sufficiently fulfilling its projected capabilities, people will be disappointed in the product. Well this seems to be long enough and probably won't be read and I'll probably get trolled because I only have 1 post, but if you took the time to read it, both the articles and my analysis of what the quotes could possibly mean, perhaps you might understand why there's so much anger over the internet about the lack of a functioning multi-player system. I've been playing for 13 hours on Dark Souls and I've only seen around 10 pools of blood. On Demon's Soul's there were much more, showing that there is a problem with their server system, since its not showing the close yet far away atmosphere that the director wanted, right now the only atmosphere I'm getting is; lonely, alone, alone, alone, alone, feels like offline game single player mode with orange notes that lie. If you don't think there's a difference or a problem with Dark Souls when compared to Demon's Souls, then you either haven't played Demon's souls or you seriously don't care that much about games; at least not enough to criticize people about their opinions.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Byshop  Moderator

Great post, Noobverest. Unfortunately the detractors in this thread are more interested in just flaming than actually discussing the pros and cons of the multiplayer in Dark Souls.

-Byshop

Noobverest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Noobverest
Well as long as at least one person read what I typed, I'm already satisfied...
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

[QUOTE="firefox59"]Well then your wrong.Byshop

I think you mean "you're".

-Byshop

Shut up Meg
topcat5665

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 topcat5665
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

One of the main reasons why I got this game was to play with friends and have fun... Now I am wishing I never got this game.

Avatar image for AWolfoftheCalla
AWolfoftheCalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 AWolfoftheCalla
Member since 2011 • 162 Posts
[QUOTE="AWolfoftheCalla"]

[QUOTE="istuffedsunny"]The problem is developers tacking on features they don't know how to implement properly. Either do it right or don't do it at all. I'd rather deal with AI than some random kid screwing aroundNoobverest

no, the problem is gamers like you that dont understand that the system is implemented EXACTLY the way they wanted it to be.

The developers dont want players to be playing with friends... end of story. it is YOUR PROBLEM. not theirs. play it the way they want you to, or find a different game.

I don't think you've done proper research on how the developers wanted the game to be either, so you're not allowed to criticize anyone. I have done some research so that I can criticize what you're suggesting from your point of view; it's something I like doing, so sue me. http://www.next-gen.biz/features/dark-souls-preview There are direct quotes from the director himself when Dark Souls was in the making, so this would truly be his ideals. "When playing in a dark, cold, gloomy world, the one place where the player can get some rest is the brightly lit, warm beacon fire. That players can set these fires up for other adventurers playing in their own game adds to the sense of co-operation, even if it's in a remote way. This is the feeling that probably defines Dark Souls more than any other." This is a direct quote from the article. It would seem from that context that the director did not want the player to play in a completely isolated situation, he wanted the players to feel a sense of presence from other players yet not directly interacting with all of them. This suggests that he encourages a form of multi-player which is currently non-existent or near non-existent due to certain issues. He never said that friends were not meant to play together; that was the self-assured image that you projected for yourself. The lack of text and voice chat is to give a sense of warmth from having someone near you, yet being unable to communicate because the summoned images are meant to be beings from another time; so actual communication is not possible. I assume this would be what the director wanted, after reading his article and ideals it seems that this was the atmosphere or feel that he wanted to give to the players, not a sense of complete loneliness. "These kind of battles are built into the game. It ebbs and flows seamlessly between single- and multiplayer, so that those distinctions are no longer really relevant. I think we have found a delicate balance in which sometimes players must compete and sometimes they must cooperate. That tension is interesting to me." Further down the article, another quote from the director. This quote shows that he is encouraging multi-player interaction be it PVP or co-op, Again suggesting that your own personal opinion about how the game was meant to played as a single player game; completely untrue and biased towards your own opinion. Another short article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-24-dark-souls-1-5x-as-big-as-demons-souls "What's more, Dark Souls will be a multi-platform game and not a PS3 exclusive. From Software also has big plans for multiple multiplayer modes, although what those are we don't yet know." Another quote from a game website: the projected image towards the general public is that Dark Souls is a game that has multi-player modes and that it isn't a single player game. This is a form of advertisement that is given to the gaming websites, and if such an image is given to gaming websites yet when the product is finalized and not sufficiently fulfilling its projected capabilities, people will be disappointed in the product. Well this seems to be long enough and probably won't be read and I'll probably get trolled because I only have 1 post, but if you took the time to read it, both the articles and my analysis of what the quotes could possibly mean, perhaps you might understand why there's so much anger over the internet about the lack of a functioning multi-player system. I've been playing for 13 hours on Dark Souls and I've only seen around 10 pools of blood. On Demon's Soul's there were much more, showing that there is a problem with their server system, since its not showing the close yet far away atmosphere that the director wanted, right now the only atmosphere I'm getting is; lonely, alone, alone, alone, alone, feels like offline game single player mode with orange notes that lie. If you don't think there's a difference or a problem with Dark Souls when compared to Demon's Souls, then you either haven't played Demon's souls or you seriously don't care that much about games; at least not enough to criticize people about their opinions.

while thinking you were "bashing" me, you were just proving my point. the developers did not want you to play with friends. end of thread.
AWolfoftheCalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 AWolfoftheCalla

One of the main reasons why I got this game was to play with friends and have fun... Now I am wishing I never got this game.

topcat5665
and that is your fault for not doing research on the game before buying, not the developers. perhaps next time you will be a little more diligent huh?
patrickiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60 patrickiscool
Member since 2004 • 159 Posts

I honestly cannot stand the gamer elitists like Wolf.

I love to play a great single player game. It's why I love gaming, probably #1 reason.

I also love epic multiplayer.

What I don't get, is why a game like dark souls, which makes humanity SO scarce, as in, you can barely summon your friends as it is, would completely **** you over at finding one of your friends in co-op, ESPECIALLY WHEN DEMON'S SOULS LET YOU FIND FRIENDS!!

and that is the key point. Demon's Souls let you find friends via stone placement. Dark Souls doesn't. and that is an absolutely massive step down. In fact, it prevented my roommate from dropping 70 bucks on the game and more on an xbox live subscription to play it with me.

Additionally:

I don't want to hear "It's supposed to be lonely." because = It is SUPER HARD to get a friend into the game anyways, due to humanity being scarce and having to talk and time a soapstone. It is lonely. Almost all of the time.

Look at the Dark Souls official forum. You will see at least 15 threads about the lack of friend to friend co op, including a signature thread. People want this, because co op in this game was promised, and would be amazing. It only has to be implemented like it was in DEMON'S SOULS and not on different servers liek it is now.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Byshop  Moderator

[QUOTE="Byshop"]

Great post, Noobverest. Unfortunately the detractors in this thread are more interested in just flaming than actually discussing the pros and cons of the multiplayer in Dark Souls.

-Byshop

AWolfoftheCalla

actually if you had any logical thought in your brain, you would have been able to follow the fact that the topic creator was complaining that he couldnt play with friends.... and a few of us were point out that dark souls was never meant to be played with friends. whether or not the matchmaking system is working properly from a technical standpoint is A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TOPIC. from personal experience, i would say that there is clearly something wrong with how the servers match people. THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TOPIC OF THE THREAD HOWEVER. im sorry you werent able to follow the thread.

Wolf,

I read noobverest's post (along with the entire thread) very carefully, and I'm pretty sure noobverest's post was in response to istuffedsunny's post and not yours. Both noobverest and I were arguing in favor of your position that co-op is exactly as it should be in Dark Souls. Before you accuse me of not following the thread, why don't read all of my posts and not just take my last post out of context.

The point is, I agree with you but if you're going to act like a jerk you're on your own.

-Byshop

AWolfoftheCalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 AWolfoftheCalla

[QUOTE="AWolfoftheCalla"][QUOTE="Byshop"]

-Byshop

Byshop

actually if you had any logical thought in your brain, you would have been able to follow the fact that the topic creator was complaining that he couldnt play with friends.... and a few of us were point out that dark souls was never meant to be played with friends. whether or not the matchmaking system is working properly from a technical standpoint is A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TOPIC. from personal experience, i would say that there is clearly something wrong with how the servers match people. THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TOPIC OF THE THREAD HOWEVER. im sorry you werent able to follow the thread.

Wolf,

I read noobverest's post (along with the entire thread) very carefully, and I'm pretty sure noobverest's post was in response to istuffedsunny's post and not yours. Both noobverest and I were arguing in favor of your position that co-op is exactly as it should be in Dark Souls. Before you accuse me of not following the thread, why don't read all of my posts and not just take my last post out of context.

The point is, I agree with you but if you're going to act like a jerk you're on your own.

-Byshop

actually... if you look, he is quoting me, and telling me i am wrong.

"Noobverest wrote: I don't think you've done proper research on how the developers wanted the game to be either, so you're not allowed to criticize anyone."

when in fact... i am very RIGHT. he is arguing that the technical nature of the multiplayer is not functioning properly... which i agree. it clearly isnt working right as you almost never find people waiting to be summoned. HOWEVER, that was NOT the topic of discussion in this thread..... the thread was created to discuss why the game didnt allow you to play with friends directly.... he is arguing something completely different from the intent of the thread, and i corrected him.

i dont see how that is me being a jerk. i see that as me keeping the thread on topic...

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Byshop  Moderator

actually... if you look, he is quoting me, and telling me i am wrong.

"Noobverest wrote: I don't think you've done proper research on how the developers wanted the game to be either, so you're not allowed to criticize anyone."

when in fact... i am very RIGHT. he is arguing that the technical nature of the multiplayer is not functioning properly... which i agree. it clearly isnt working right as you almost never find people waiting to be summoned. HOWEVER, that was NOT the topic of discussion in this thread..... the thread was created to discuss why the game didnt allow you to play with friends directly.... he is arguing something completely different from the intent of the thread, and i corrected him.

i dont see how that is me being a jerk. i see that as me keeping the thread on topic...

AWolfoftheCalla

He quoted your post, but Sunny's post was inside your quoted post and was the one that had the more contrary position. Churlish comments like "actually if you had any logical thought in your brain" and condecending remarks like "im sorry you werent able to follow the thread" are examples of you acting like a jerk. You're on your own.

-Byshop

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
Servers are **** just like in Demons Souls... Same thing goes to invades. hundreds of people playing the level and it gives me no1 to invade (sometimes for an HOUR!!!). Their bs is ridiculous...
AWolfoftheCalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 AWolfoftheCalla

[QUOTE="ChristopherRage"]

That's like going to a restaurant and ordering a meal and then complaining that they didn't make your food the way you wanted it.

Spikenenspikspi

LOL, sorry but I just had to login and tell you that's the stupidest f*****g analogy I've ever heard.

indeed... if my food wasnt made the way i wanted it... i would complain!
Noobverest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Noobverest
Actually I was mostly referring to Wolf, and slightly clarifying the specifics promised by the directors yet wasn't delivered to us. I don't see any reason why From Software would make a game that only allowed strangers to connect (they never said only strangers may connect; just no communication between players). Again, I remember mentioning that in my previous post; The director has never specifically said that they intended for friends to be unable to connect. They only disabled voice chat and texting between friends because they wanted to have the atmosphere of having a helping hand yet no form of communication would be possible because of how the game's story is placed. If you read the sun guy's dialogue, he specifically said that with the white soapstone you would be able to summon other souls; allowing souls from another time frame to temporarily help, and a being from another time frame would not be able to actively converse with another being. Point being: Don't say that the developers made the game so that you would be playing with strangers all the time. The developers never specifically said that, all they did was that you would be get a co-operative play without communication. The only problem right now with the "impossible to play with friend" is the server system. From the previous article I linked, there was a very disturbing news. The game has a connecting system which allows players to connect to others in their respective geographical region. The online system would be perfectly fine in Japan due to high concentrations of gamers located in areas such as Osaka, or Tokyo. However, in North America people are far away, making a more widely spread gaming population causing a limited multi-player interaction which I believe was unintended by the developers. The reason I typed the previous bunch of text is because, for Japanese players they might have friends really nearby and in their geographical regions. So I believe that Japanese players are actually able to connect with their friends because of how close they live together, however this is not possible in North America servers. And if Japanese players are actually able to connect with their friends or anyone at all (which is not the case in North America); then it is also the fault of From Software or Namco Bandai for not allowing North American players to be able to indulge in the same experience. Also, I have seen numerous advertisements and game articles that specifically noted that you would be able to play with your friends pre-release of Dark Souls, pumping up much of the Demon's Souls players for the game. However, it turns out that it was a big bucket of feces handed to the consumers. There is only a lot of dissatisfaction when something gets promised but isn't delivered. Main problem is how Demon's Souls multi-player is actually better than Dark Souls; yet the developers themselves said the Dark Souls multi-player would be improved upon that of Demon's Souls. I also remember reading that in an article somewhere, Software themselves said that Dark Souls mulit-player would enable you to specifically summon your friends, yes SPECIFICALLY SUMMON YOUR FRIENDS (I am not sure how trust worthy this phrase was, because I was linked by a hardcore Demon's Souls fan that I have as a friend). Since I believe in From Software completely, I would assume that this game they produced was somehow modified or screwed up by the publisher Namco Bandai. They might have changed the server system to decrease sever load by separating players into multiple servers, but reducing the overall multi-player interaction intended.
AWolfoftheCalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 AWolfoftheCalla
[QUOTE="Noobverest"]Actually I was mostly referring to Wolf, and slightly clarifying the specifics promised by the directors yet wasn't delivered to us. I don't see any reason why From Software would make a game that only allowed strangers to connect (they never said only strangers may connect; just no communication between players). Again, I remember mentioning that in my previous post; The director has never specifically said that they intended for friends to be unable to connect. They only disabled voice chat and texting between friends because they wanted to have the atmosphere of having a helping hand yet no form of communication would be possible because of how the game's story is placed. If you read the sun guy's dialogue, he specifically said that with the white soapstone you would be able to summon other souls; allowing souls from another time frame to temporarily help, and a being from another time frame would not be able to actively converse with another being. Point being: Don't say that the developers made the game so that you would be playing with strangers all the time. The developers never specifically said that, all they did was that you would be get a co-operative play without communication. The only problem right now with the "impossible to play with friend" is the server system. From the previous article I linked, there was a very disturbing news. The game has a connecting system which allows players to connect to others in their respective geographical region. The online system would be perfectly fine in Japan due to high concentrations of gamers located in areas such as Osaka, or Tokyo. However, in North America people are far away, making a more widely spread gaming population causing a limited multi-player interaction which I believe was unintended by the developers. The reason I typed the previous bunch of text is because, for Japanese players they might have friends really nearby and in their geographical regions. So I believe that Japanese players are actually able to connect with their friends because of how close they live together, however this is not possible in North America servers. And if Japanese players are actually able to connect with their friends or anyone at all (which is not the case in North America); then it is also the fault of From Software or Namco Bandai for not allowing North American players to be able to indulge in the same experience. Also, I have seen numerous advertisements and game articles that specifically noted that you would be able to play with your friends pre-release of Dark Souls, pumping up much of the Demon's Souls players for the game. However, it turns out that it was a big bucket of feces handed to the consumers. There is only a lot of dissatisfaction when something gets promised but isn't delivered. Main problem is how Demon's Souls multi-player is actually better than Dark Souls; yet the developers themselves said the Dark Souls multi-player would be improved upon that of Demon's Souls. I also remember reading that in an article somewhere, Software themselves said that Dark Souls mulit-player would enable you to specifically summon your friends, yes SPECIFICALLY SUMMON YOUR FRIENDS (I am not sure how trust worthy this phrase was, because I was linked by a hardcore Demon's Souls fan that I have as a friend). Since I believe in From Software completely, I would assume that this game they produced was somehow modified or screwed up by the publisher Namco Bandai. They might have changed the server system to decrease sever load by separating players into multiple servers, but reducing the overall multi-player interaction intended.

i call BS on them ever stating that you could specifically summon friends, and i know for a fact that it was said they did not intend you to play with friends. so...not sure what to tell you.
Noobverest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Noobverest
well Main point being, 1. Devs never said you can't play dark souls with friends. 2. They said they improved multi-player from Demon's Souls; so it would be assumed you would have a similar but improved experience when compared to Demon's 3. The consumers have every right to complain about whatever they're not satisfied when it can be solved simply by merging or allowing players to select a given server. 4. The original poster has every right to complain about being impossible to play with friends. Blame the advertisements for Dark Souls, saying that you could.
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 firefox59
well Main point being, 1. Devs never said you can't play dark souls with friends. 2. They said they improved multi-player from Demon's Souls; so it would be assumed you would have a similar but improved experience when compared to Demon's 3. The consumers have every right to complain about whatever they're not satisfied when it can be solved simply by merging or allowing players to select a given server. 4. The original poster has every right to complain about being impossible to play with friends. Blame the advertisements for Dark Souls, saying that you could.Noobverest
Thank you
homegirl2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#71 homegirl2180
Member since 2004 • 7161 Posts

Why are people still complaining about this? Co-op was never promised, and the way you did multi-player in Demon's Souls was obviously a circumventing of the system that the developer did not encourage. So to actually cut off that circumventing, you are now in lobbies, so you probably won't find your friend. You can't play with your friends. Period. If you were expecting to play with your friends, you should have done more research before buying the game. If you want to play with your friends, go play Gears of War 3. So either toughen up or sell the game.

I am 35 hours into Dark Souls, and am mostly done with the main story, and I have not once used my white soapstone (my choice). I am very grateful for many of the notes left for me, and I hope my notes have helped others. That's the way you play, with a vague sense of community, and gratefulness to a stranger. The game isn't the way you specifically want it, well that's too bad. Personally, I prefer it the way it is by a country mile.

AWolfoftheCalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 AWolfoftheCalla
Why are people still complaining about this? Co-op was never promised, and the way you did multi-player in Demon's Souls was obviously a circumventing of the system that the developer did not encourage. So to actually cut off that circumventing, you are now in lobbies, so you probably won't find your friend. You can't play with your friends. Period. If you were expecting to play with your friends, you should have done more research before buying the game. If you want to play with your friends, go play Gears of War 3. So either toughen up or sell the game. I am 35 hours into Dark Souls, and am mostly done with the main story, and I have not once used my white soapstone (my choice). I am very grateful for many of the notes left for me, and I hope my notes have helped others. That's the way you play, with a vague sense of community, and gratefulness to a stranger. The game isn't the way you specifically want it, well that's too bad. Personally, I prefer it the way it is.homegirl2180
35 hours? really? i know people who have been playing for 80-100 and they still arent done. you are apparently blazing through.... or not having any issues with the difficulty.
homegirl2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 homegirl2180
[QUOTE="homegirl2180"]Why are people still complaining about this? Co-op was never promised, and the way you did multi-player in Demon's Souls was obviously a circumventing of the system that the developer did not encourage. So to actually cut off that circumventing, you are now in lobbies, so you probably won't find your friend. You can't play with your friends. Period. If you were expecting to play with your friends, you should have done more research before buying the game. If you want to play with your friends, go play Gears of War 3. So either toughen up or sell the game. I am 35 hours into Dark Souls, and am mostly done with the main story, and I have not once used my white soapstone (my choice). I am very grateful for many of the notes left for me, and I hope my notes have helped others. That's the way you play, with a vague sense of community, and gratefulness to a stranger. The game isn't the way you specifically want it, well that's too bad. Personally, I prefer it the way it is.AWolfoftheCalla
35 hours? really? i know people who have been playing for 80-100 and they still arent done. you are apparently blazing through.... or not having any issues with the difficulty.

The IGN reviewer only took 50-60 hours to beat her file. I know a guy who has beaten it and told me the area progression and I'm over 60% done. I probably will stop before the final area and go and kill all the optional bosses (if I'm good enough)/explore.
E_Bagee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#74 E_Bagee
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

After reading extensively, I am truly against the no co-op with friends idea. The elitists can enjoy their lonely experience and finish their game. What then? Move onto another game? I bought dark souls over all the new shooters rpgs racing games etc because If it were anything like demon souls, which I have put over 200 hours into, it would be the most enjoyable experience over all other decisions. The sole reason I have that many hours(this may be few compared to others) was because of the multiplayer. Not random multiplayer, but multiplayer with my mates. Goofing around, using the same weapon, pvping, you name it. Else I would have stopped after my first playthrough. If you can't cut it loose once in a while, dark souls would only be a job more than a game in my opinion. Luckily we can still share our adventures over skype, but sooner or later that won't cut it. I agree that I have not researched before buying the game, but the only research there was when I preordered 3 months ago was a few trailers. I basically crossed my fingers and prayed.

In a business standpoint, If I had bought dark souls and encouraged friends to join me, as well as other people having the idea. Not only would the community grow, the developers would get credit for creating a well made online-singleplayer game as they have for Demon Souls. This will not be the case here if this persists. If it IS broke, then go fix it. People like options, not constrictions. IF you really don't need help and like to sit in a damp corner crying, sign off the internet and play single player. If you have tried dark souls multiplayer, I won't say it's easy, but it's the same flair as demon souls. Once someone helps out, of course it will be easier. So what difference does it make if you know the guy or not?

The best way I could describe Demon Souls is that it was a remarkable experience, Dark Souls has the flavor and flair but it just lacks the passion.

So before you tell anyone to not play the game because they aren't satisfied with it, then just imagine yourself in a sinking boat filled with endangered pandas.

SOMEBODY GET SOME DARN HAMMER AND NAILS

Noobverest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Noobverest

Why are people still complaining about this? Co-op was never promised, and the way you did multi-player in Demon's Souls was obviously a circumventing of the system that the developer did not encourage. So to actually cut off that circumventing, you are now in lobbies, so you probably won't find your friend. You can't play with your friends. Period. If you were expecting to play with your friends, you should have done more research before buying the game. If you want to play with your friends, go play Gears of War 3. So either toughen up or sell the game.

I am 35 hours into Dark Souls, and am mostly done with the main story, and I have not once used my white soapstone (my choice). I am very grateful for many of the notes left for me, and I hope my notes have helped others. That's the way you play, with a vague sense of community, and gratefulness to a stranger. The game isn't the way you specifically want it, well that's too bad. Personally, I prefer it the way it is by a country mile.

homegirl2180
Read my posts please and thank you, I have two detailed posts earlier on and it'll clearly show that they did; in fact promise co-op just never specified with friends or not. And at this moment in time, because you haven't chosen to drop your soul stone and enjoy a multi-player experience, there are others that do. If you bothered to try a multi-player experience it would be near impossible be it invasions or helping random strangers. There are simply too many servers for too little players, there's not enough population in a given area in the game. The main problem here isn't just that you can connect to your friends (should be allowed to choose but w.e that's not the point), its that online multi-player isn't working efficiently. I've tried multi-player yesterday and I only got summoned once in 1 hour. Plus because of the different servers, If you paid any attention to the floor when walking, there were TONS of blood pools back in Demon's Souls; since it was a dedicated server. However, in Dark Souls there's significantly less blood stains on the ground so it'd be pretty hard to see how another player died. (this point was advertised in all the trailers/reviews and the reviewers assumed that they had a small server pop due to selected individuals being allowed to participate.) According to the developer, Dark Souls was meant to be a single player rpg element with multi-player content. Your "Co-op was never promised," is a statement of personal opinion which does not project the ideals of the developers. Multi-player content meant that you would have invasions and allies to help you along the way. This bit was promised; and I have an article linked in page 3 of this thread which shows a detailed interview with the developer of the game pre-release to demons souls. Anyways, as I've said to the other people complaining about people complaining. How about you do some research yourself before criticizing other people. There were promises of a similar system to Demon's Souls which is currently not working or inefficient, and people have every right to complain about it due to false promises. You can blame the advertisements, the developers, but you're not allowed to blame the consumers, because they're only requesting for what was promised by the numerous advertising techniques; which produced an image where Dark Souls was a hardcore, single player with multi-player co-op game, which was heavily based on pvp for end game.
Noobverest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Noobverest
Also I have found a translated interview from 4gamer on some random forum. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=421142 I'm emphasizing on a few points: New details on the expanded multiplayer features. - Miyazaki also sheds the most detail we've heard so far about the new multiplayer systems. For the "sharing of experiences" part, he details it as such that he wants to create the feeling of players helping each other through difficulty parts, but integrated as part of the game. In a comparison, he says he really liked the good old says where people played Dragon Quest and would share their strategies with other players, and people would talk about their different experiences through the game, and in doing so help those who are having difficulty. He says there will be more details later. - As for the "mutual role playing" system, he wants to create a feeling where other players interact with each other throughout the game even as each player plays their own game. While there are elements of this in Demon's Souls, this system specifically wants to take both co-op play and PvP play to the next level. The example he gives here is Lord of the Rings. In LotR, Frodo discovers the One Ring, which is a valuable item, and he is tasked to keep it and protect it. That is his role. On the other hand, there are the black riders who have long searched for this valuable item throughout the world. When Frodo possesses the ring, their roles clash because of contradicting objectives. If the black rider happens to defeat Frodo and attain the ring, then he is a fortunate player who managed to get what he wants, the player who loses the ring because he failed to protect it is unfortunate... Where's my Dark Souls demo? Can I play with Japanese players this time? - He also confirms that Dark Souls is not just a worldwide game in terms of release, but also in the the online space. He was disappointed that they could not implement an online system for Demon's Souls where all players could play together, and it's a pity because the online system was specifically designed such that it did not require direct interaction between languages. For Dark Souls you will be able to play with players all over the world. Um.... yea... I think he's suggesting that this game will have multi-player content. And the key phrase here is: "For Dark Souls you will be able to play with players all over the world." From reading that phrase I think it would be logical to think that.... my friends are considered as a player, and they live on Earth which is the world that I live in..... So.... Why can't I play with them? or more specifically, Why do people think that playing with friends isn't what the game intended? They never said, YOU CANNOT PLAY WITH FRIENDS. And if they did, Link me the website so you can prove me wrong, until then; I'm always right. And thus ends my rebuttal on the statements of people flaming the original poster.
homegirl2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 homegirl2180
[QUOTE="Noobverest"] I think he's suggesting ..... prove me wrong, until then; I'm always right.

I don't need to prove you wrong, you haven't proven yourself right. You are speculating. Are there multi-player elements to this game? Yes. Did he say you could play with friends? No. Also, while I may not have used my soapstone, I've seen several on the ground while human, so I haven't been experiencing this dearth of finding other soapstone markings. Now let me ask you something, if they wanted you to play with friends, even in Demon's Souls, why didn't they make it easier to do so? Because even in Demon's Souls, it wasn't "easy" from what I hear.
Noobverest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Noobverest
[QUOTE="homegirl2180"][QUOTE="Noobverest"] I think he's suggesting ..... prove me wrong, until then; I'm always right.

I don't need to prove you wrong, you haven't proven yourself right. You are speculating. Are there multi-player elements to this game? Yes. Did he say you could play with friends? No. Also, while I may not have used my soapstone, I've seen several on the ground while human, so I haven't been experiencing this dearth of finding other soapstone markings. Now let me ask you something, if they wanted you to play with friends, even in Demon's Souls, why didn't they make it easier to do so? Because even in Demon's Souls, it wasn't "easy" from what I hear.

Did you even bother to read what I posted instead of simply quoting two completely unrelated words and sticking it together?. I am simply do the same with what you just did. "I don't need to prove you wrong,. you have proven yourself right" Fun huh? Did he say you could play with friends? No.
Noobverest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Noobverest
[QUOTE="Noobverest"][QUOTE="homegirl2180"][QUOTE="Noobverest"] I think he's suggesting ..... prove me wrong, until then; I'm always right.

Did you even bother to read what I posted instead of simply quoting two completely unrelated words and sticking it together?. I am simply do the same with what you just did. "I don't need to prove you wrong,. you have proven yourself right" Fun huh? Did he say you could play with friends? No.

Got cut off. Did he say you could play with friends? No. Did he say you could NOT play with friends? Nope. Are your friends Human? Are they players? Do they live on Earth? Do you have friends? Why would you think that friends don't fit under "playing with players around the world." Demon's Souls wasn't easy to play with friends but it wasn't near impossible. All you had to do was drop your soul sign a few times and it would eventually appear. In Dark Souls you have to randomly be in the same server as your friend and there could be over 20 servers or lobbies. " Also, while I may not have used my soapstone, I've seen several on the ground while human, so I haven't been experiencing this dearth of finding other soapstone markings." Are you sure these soap stone markings are real people? They implemented NPC's that can be summoned to help you fight a boss if you received an item from them or such. Just seeing doesn't make them real, you have to play with them to justify your reason.
homegirl2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 homegirl2180
[QUOTE="Noobverest"][QUOTE="Noobverest"][QUOTE="homegirl2180"] I don't need to prove you wrong, you haven't proven yourself right. You are speculating. Are there multi-player elements to this game? Yes. Did he say you could play with friends? No. Also, while I may not have used my soapstone, I've seen several on the ground while human, so I haven't been experiencing this dearth of finding other soapstone markings. Now let me ask you something, if they wanted you to play with friends, even in Demon's Souls, why didn't they make it easier to do so? Because even in Demon's Souls, it wasn't "easy" from what I hear.

Got cut off. Did he say you could play with friends? No. Did he say you could NOT play with friends? Nope. Are your friends Human? Are they players? Do they live on Earth? Do you have friends? Why would you think that friends don't fit under "playing with players around the world." Demon's Souls wasn't easy to play with friends but it wasn't near impossible. All you had to do was drop your soul sign a few times and it would eventually appear. In Dark Souls you have to randomly be in the same server as your friend and there could be over 20 servers or lobbies. " Also, while I may not have used my soapstone, I've seen several on the ground while human, so I haven't been experiencing this dearth of finding other soapstone markings." Are you sure these soap stone markings are real people? They implemented NPC's that can be summoned to help you fight a boss if you received an item from them or such. Just seeing doesn't make them real, you have to play with them to justify your reason.

I did read your wall of text, but all of your argument was speculation on what he meant. "He said this, and I think he means this" can basically replace that massive wall of text you put out. Because literally speaking, there was nothing he said that isn't in the game. Except for your "around the world" thing. I haven't seen any Japanese names on the white soapstone markings, so that may not be possible. However, I haven't seen anything to indicate it isn't possible. But if I see a Japanese gamertag, I'll let you know, because then I could "play with [a gamer from] around the world." So to answer your NPC soapstone question, I've checked the names, and they all sound like real gamertags. The only times it's been NPCs, are when they invaded my world. Also, you literally misquoted me, because I never actually said what you quoted. Lastly, I put those two parts together to show how you did say "I think he said this, and my speculation is reality." In the end, you're making your loose and unfounded interpretations of his quotes as your measuring stick. You've clearly read what you wanted to read into the game, not what was actually there.
Avatar image for ChristopherRage
ChristopherRage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 ChristopherRage
Member since 2007 • 490 Posts

LOL, sorry but I just had to login and tell you that's the stupidest f*****g analogy I've ever heard.

Spikenenspikspi

Thank you for being a complete arse. Please stop wasting everyone's time and don't log in anymore. My point was if you go to a restauraunt and see a cheese burger on the menu that says...hamburger, lettuce, tomato, pickles. You order it because it sounds good and then **** because they didnt use the same brand or Ameircan cheese that you buy at home. You do the research, you see what the developers intended to do and you **** because they gave you what you wanted. Maybe it wasnt the best analogy because it was 3 in the freakin morning!

chopcutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 chopcutter
Member since 2007 • 33 Posts

In all honesty I love this game to death but this is a really big issue. Even bigger than me being cursed in the depths haha. I have like 20 friends I met on Demon's Souls who I now can't play with, and two friends in real life who I can't play with. We turn off our ps3s, log in, log out, run around into different areas, and we are always on different servers. There is no chance we are able to play together and that honestly is pretty brutal. I was looking forward to beating the bosses with him, showing him bonfires, shortcuts etc. Now we just skype and play at the same time... alone in our games.

It should also be noted that the online is flawed whether they wanted us to play with friends at all. For the last hour I've had my Soapstone down while reading about any possible solutions to this issue, and haven't been summoned once. That right there is unnacceptable, and this online is a huge step down from Demon's souls. It's a shame cause the rest of the game is absolutely outstanding.

Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#84 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

Play something else, and possible try and be a little more respectful to other gamers that are trying to help you!

doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 30

#85 doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts
all Wolf says is how the game was intended to be played by the developer, but while doing tricks like this? I am pretty sure that a lot of online pgames doesn't play as the developers intended, do you think Epic envisioned the Gears of War multiplayer to be a shotgun fest? no they wanted it to be tactical, the player at least has a choice to do it the way it feels natural, or the way somene el se intended. I don't have the game I might get it at some point, my argument is based on the fact as a gamer that conditioning features in a game is not a good way to go.
DanTKD952

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 DanTKD952
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I tried to do co-op with a friend and of corse it did not work. I was expecting that, from playing demons souls. NOT a deal braker for me. I would like them to allow people to play with friends, but i UNDERSTAND why they dont. If not playing with friends is such a big deal, then dont play it.Awesome game keep up the good work BanDai. ps:sorry for my poor grammer and spelling
craigkelleigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#87 craigkelleigh
Member since 2005 • 329 Posts

Ok - kinda late to the party......and i admit I have not played either Demon Souls or Dark Souls......

But after reading the review of Dark Souls it kinda took my interest as I had not really heard much about it....

I have seen a few posts about the online/co-op/multiplayer (call it what you will) aspect......

So could someone explain to me (in small words if possible.....lol) how the multiplayer works in this game.....

I have watched the video review so I kinda get it but it would be good to hear from people who play it....

(I am not really into on-line MP much so this game has caught my eye)

Thanks

DanTKD952

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 DanTKD952
I'll try to say it short and simple. . . . ummm ok- If your character is Alive, you look for these glowing white symbols on the ground. These white symbols are created by Dead players (I'll explain being dead in a sec). Interact with the symbol and you are givin an option "Would you like to summon SoAndSo?" You say yes and you summon that player to your game to help you. You can summon up to 2 players to help you for a total of 3. Ok now if you are a Dead or a "Hollowed" Player you arent actually dead, just not human. You spend most of the game in this form if your me. Dead players can do 2 different things in terms of multi player. They can set down a white stone and be summoned by another player. When you are being waiting to be summoned you can still progress through your game. So its not like you have to sit and do nothing while you wait. SECOND a hollowed player can set down a black stone.(I forgot the actual name of the stone, but we'll just call it black) This stone looks for a game to invade. When you invade some1 elses game your mission is to kill that player. You can only invade games of players that are alive. So if your a hollow you dont have to worry about some 1 showing up and killing you. Not to short or simple but thats the best I can explain it. Theres more detail but thats the simple version.
DarkNerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 DarkNerve
[QUOTE="topcat5665"]

AWolfoftheCalla
and that is your fault for not doing research on the game before buying, not the developers. perhaps next time you will be a little more diligent huh?

You need to chill. This may come as a surprise to you,but not everyone does "research" on a game before buying. The back of the game case says Co-op 2-4. Most people would see this and assume that they would be able to play the game with their friends. Heck,every game in my library that says "Co-op" means exactly that, my friends and I can throw the game on and play together. I had no prior knowledge of Dark Souls,or Demon Souls, going into the game store. My friend and I were looking for something we could play together and looked at the case and saw "Co-op",we thought the game looked cool so we both bought a copy only to get home and realize we could not play together. The game should say "Single player,with some Online components" or something like that. It really is false advertising. I do really like the game,but it isn't at all what I thought I was buying. My friend wont play it tho and feels jipped. It really is a great game imo,and if it did have full on co-op it would be game of the year in my book. Hopefully they're taking notes for future referance.
AWolfoftheCalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 AWolfoftheCalla
[QUOTE="AWolfoftheCalla"][QUOTE="topcat5665"]

DarkNerve

You need to chill. This may come as a surprise to you,but not everyone does "research" on a game before buying. The back of the game case says Co-op 2-4. Most people would see this and assume that they would be able to play the game with their friends. Heck,every game in my library that says "Co-op" means exactly that, my friends and I can throw the game on and play together. I had no prior knowledge of Dark Souls,or Demon Souls, going into the game store. My friend and I were looking for something we could play together and looked at the case and saw "Co-op",we thought the game looked cool so we both bought a copy only to get home and realize we could not play together. The game should say "Single player,with some Online components" or something like that. It really is false advertising. I do really like the game,but it isn't at all what I thought I was buying. My friend wont play it tho and feels jipped. It really is a great game imo,and if it did have full on co-op it would be game of the year in my book. Hopefully they're taking notes for future referance.

oh ok.... so it is the developers fault that you didnt do research on a game before buying. so.... you have a right to complain that a game doesnt do something you want it to do even though you did ZERO research on the game before buying it. does the back of the box say 2-4 player coop WITH FRIENDS? you made an assumption, based on NOTHING. it is YOUR fault. so if you went to buy a car that was advertised to have a CD player and you buy it hoping that it has a CD changer as well, but didnt ACTUALLY check to see if it had a CD changer, you have a right to go back to the manufacturer and complain that you bought a car that doesnt do what you want it to do? you have got to be **** joking me.
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 firefox59

No game in history has put "with friends" after co-op, don't make ridiculous statements. Co-op implies certain things. Even if you wanted to blame the gamers for expecting something that defies the point of co-op, there have been plenty of quotes and links posted in this thread showing what the devs claimed the game would be and its not. You just choose to ignore them.

Zoloe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Zoloe
Found this in the preparetodie.com forums.... http://www.preparetodie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2923 It seems the topic isn't quite about playing with friends in that forum, but about how it's difficult to play with anyone at all....
Zoloe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Zoloe
http://www.co-optimus.com/article/6965/co-op-rant-dark-souls-server-co-op-debacle.html oh and this http://preparetodie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3207 :D
Zoloe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Zoloe
This may interest some people, however it seems to only be confirmed on the Playstation 3. Whenever you place your white soapstone sign on the ground, you are placing it on a "random server" supposedly. Check it out http://community.us.playstation.com/message/36359047 A bunch of people here http://www.preparetodie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3912&hilit=confirmed seem to be having success!
Willypete59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Willypete59
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Thats what the waiter is for, to know how you want the food made.
Witchsight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Witchsight
Member since 2004 • 12145 Posts
Thats what the waiter is for, to know how you want the food made.Willypete59
Reviving a post on its one year anniversary... To say that... *slow clap*
project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#99 project343
Member since 2005 • 14106 Posts

Who cares what they want, no matter which way you look at it, it's stupid not to let friends play together.

jovahutcwsu
I know, right? I mean, screw creative integrity and vision. All developers should be wholly compromising to the masses. While they're doing that, they should also make the game significantly easier because it really does push away a lot of potential buyers.
Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

Clearly this is not the game for you then. The developers intentionally designed the game this way. It's not stupid, it's doing exactly as it is designed to do.

It being intentional doesn't keep something from being stupid. I personally found the Souls games more fun with a friend, so hopefully they acknowledge the fact that people are going to play this way anyway and implement a feature to make it easier to join each other's games in future games.

That's like going to a restaurant and ordering a meal and then complaining that they didn't make your food the way you wanted it.ChristopherRage

No it isn't.

I didn't have any trouble playing with my friend. We would just coordinate over the phone where we were going to put our summon sign and it'd show up usually within a couple minutes.