Bioshock's violence towards children

This topic is locked from further discussion.

theanalyzer411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 theanalyzer411
Member since 2007 • 178 Posts

In a portionof one of thepreviews, we see a scene in which a man with a wrench approaches a little girl. His malevolent intentions are clearly evidenced by the way he is putting the wrench into and out of his left hand. The girl, to avoid the obvious result of his intentions, moves into an opening in the nearby wall, and the opening is about 5 feet off the ground. He grabs her by the hand and throws her down to the ground. Before he can inflict severe harm upon her, a big daddy approaches and intervenes.

Everyone who watches this chain of events should feel sick inside. This is very, very disturbing imagery. While violent gaming is, at least for now, the accepted norm, that does not imply that all forms of it should be tolerated. There is a limit, and Bioshock passed it. Even if the death of the little girl is the key to everyone's happiness in the game, I say: the ends do not justify the means, especially here. If the point is to show what happens when someone does this to a defenseless girl (the big daddy tries to kill him), it still goes too far. Numerous studies link violent imagery with violent behavior, and while I do not impute a malignant psychology toward anyone, images like this are just wrong, regardless of the context.

If you ask "why", I say, for one, out of many, many reasons, because it shows that despite the age of a person, if there is something that highlights the person as being different, than it is okay to inhumanely terminate her rights. Lastly, despite the possibly acceptable value of art and limited violence, don't forget: This is a CHILD!

thank you, and I appreciate comments.

Trickshot771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Trickshot771
Member since 2005 • 12686 Posts
You don't actually get to see your guy KILL the kid, and you can't shoot the kid either because they'll heal themselves. The game isn't about killing kids, you don't even have to do it. Get over yourself.
Radiozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Radiozo
Member since 2006 • 2413 Posts
Geez. Its just a game.
BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 BounceDK
Member since 2005 • 7388 Posts
You do know it's a game right?
Trickshot771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Trickshot771

You do know it's a game right?BounceDK

Nobody remembers that anymore :|

RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RobbieH1234
Member since 2005 • 7464 Posts
"In a recently released audio file, Levine clarifies that the player cannot physically harm a Little Sister directly, but can "harvest" the ADAM from them (a process which they will not survive). This will be presented via audio, and a black screen."
profbooger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 profbooger
Member since 2006 • 183 Posts
I felt the same way when i first heard that was the way you level up your character, but to my understanding you also have the option to save the little girl, although i may be wrong.
Trickshot771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Trickshot771

I felt the same way when i first heard that was the way you level up your character, but to my understanding you also have the option to save the little girl, although i may be wrong.profbooger

yeah you can save them and they turn back to normal

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 HandsomeDead
Member since 2006 • 596 Posts
This is almost as stupid as the idea of Resident Evil 5 being racist.
Peter_Darkstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Peter_Darkstar
Member since 2003 • 1091 Posts
Bioshock is supposed to be sick and twisted...thats kind of the point of having an underwater city filled with mutants, monsters, and genetic freaks...
nickyb628

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 nickyb628
Member since 2005 • 10303 Posts
Don't forget, this is a GAME. If you can't understandthat fact, than you probably shouldn't be playing videogames.
microsoft4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 microsoft4life
Member since 2005 • 946 Posts
Wow, is this guy is sounding a little like Jack Thomson lol
ss_49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ss_49
Member since 2007 • 1337 Posts

Yea...'cause i'm dead certain that if you saw a psychotic little girl sucking tissue out of a corpse...the only thing on your mind would be her safety....RIIIIIIIGHT. :roll:

ocdodger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ocdodger
Member since 2007 • 110 Posts
I wouldn't go so far as to condone it for showing or implying that a little girl gets hurt. But coming from a parents point of view (I myself am a father of 2 little girls 5 and 10mo) It does make a feel a bit unerving. I will still play the game no problems, but just wait till you have kids and you might feel just a tad bit different.
Shrapnel99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Shrapnel99
Member since 2006 • 7143 Posts
So what? Kids get killed in movies and no one cares...
mg25lax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 mg25lax
Member since 2007 • 85 Posts
the little girl is evil though, an evil, life sucking girl who harvests off the dead. once the big daddy is gone, you can save her, or you harvest her. the game isnt about killing children. its about saving a city. if people find that offesive, then mankind is taking things too seriously.
capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts

Um I hope you are joking. All those studies are biased and/or fundamentally flawed. You sound like Jack Thompson.

As for Bioshock it's a mature game where you make meaningful mature choices. Do you harvest the Adam from the little sisters (which you don't actually see happen) so you can save Atlas's family or do you spare the girls and free them instead? It's not an easy black and white choice like most games have. And it's that sort of moral dilemma that separates it from games like Manhunt which only seek to shock you.

And don't forget: It's just a game!

bloodlust3192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bloodlust3192
Member since 2005 • 1100 Posts
If you're going to take this game this seriously the don't play it you're obviously not mature enough. This is kind of like the topic in the halo 3 forum where this person was complaining about there being live animals in the game..like others have stated it's JUST A GAME. It's not real.
deuceswld84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deuceswld84
Member since 2004 • 691 Posts

This is almost as stupid as the idea of Resident Evil 5 being racist.HandsomeDead

All I saw was a bunch of black dudes trin to lynch a white guy. Wheres the racist in that? I don't see it.

Wow, is this guy is sounding a little like Jack Thomson lolmicrosoft4life

He is a Jack....

MassEffector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MassEffector
Member since 2007 • 474 Posts

[QUOTE="HandsomeDead"]This is almost as stupid as the idea of Resident Evil 5 being racist.deuceswld84

All I saw was a bunch of black dudes trin to lynch a white guy. Wheres the racist in that? I don't see it.

Wow, is this guy is sounding a little like Jack Thomson lolmicrosoft4life

He is a Jack....

You just said it.. the black people are racist towards the white dude.
REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 REforever101
Member since 2005 • 11223 Posts

You don't actually get to see your guy KILL the kid, and you can't shoot the kid either because they'll heal themselves. The game isn't about killing kids, you don't even have to do it. Get over yourself.Trickshot771

dude that sucks, i actually wanted to bash the kids brains in.....

BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BounceDK
Member since 2005 • 7388 Posts

[QUOTE="Trickshot771"]You don't actually get to see your guy KILL the kid, and you can't shoot the kid either because they'll heal themselves. The game isn't about killing kids, you don't even have to do it. Get over yourself.REforever101

Same here.
RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RobbieH1234
[QUOTE="REforever101"]

[QUOTE="Trickshot771"]You don't actually get to see your guy KILL the kid, and you can't shoot the kid either because they'll heal themselves. The game isn't about killing kids, you don't even have to do it. Get over yourself.BounceDK

Same here.

Yeah, me too.
mg25lax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mg25lax
[QUOTE="BounceDK"][QUOTE="REforever101"]

[QUOTE="Trickshot771"]You don't actually get to see your guy KILL the kid, and you can't shoot the kid either because they'll heal themselves. The game isn't about killing kids, you don't even have to do it. Get over yourself.RobbieH1234

Same here.

Yeah, me too.

no matter how sick it sounds, same for me

club-sandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 club-sandwich
Member since 2007 • 8399 Posts
So what? Kids get killed in movies and no one cares...Shrapnel99
and cartoons and TV shows and in real life and sill people it's like "meh" but then you kill a kid in a videogame and people is like "zomg violence lol!!!11!1!" get over it and don't get the game. I don't care what people thinks if you get to harvest kids, I'll still do it happily and don't give a crap about it.
Ghost_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#27 Ghost_Warrior
Member since 2003 • 9002 Posts
I've seen worse images in movies, should we get rid of those too?
killercuts3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 killercuts3
Member since 2003 • 3355 Posts

Yawn, another parent groupie. This guy is a vag.

Trickshot771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Trickshot771

I've seen worse images in movies, should we get rid of those too?Ghost_Warrior

They're all ok unless a little girl dies :roll:

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 REforever101
Member since 2005 • 11223 Posts

[QUOTE="Shrapnel99"]So what? Kids get killed in movies and no one cares...club-sandwich
and cartoons and TV shows and in real life and sill people it's like "meh" but then you kill a kid in a videogame and people is like "zomg violence lol!!!11!1!" get over it and don't get the game. I don't care what people thinks if you get to harvest kids, I'll still do it happily and don't give a crap about it.

yea club-sandwich u do that

and keep rocking that awesome re5 sig

Avatar image for GodfatherStatik
GodfatherStatik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GodfatherStatik
Member since 2007 • 157 Posts

I say it's America. Much worse stuff happens to people and children every day. Who's to say we shouldn't see it because it's immoral to a person or group of people? I personally think it's about time we see the gritty realistic violence as apposed to gallons of blood that wouldnt really exist. That's disturbing, yeah, but if you're a disturbed individual, that's the type of stuff that makes games and movies moving and intriguing. If you dont wanna see it, dont put yourself in that position. It's that easy.

And before anyone says it's not America in their country, then their country would just ban it. Have fun with that. I wanna be able to have the freedom to see that kinda stuff. I think they didnt go overboard, even if he killed the little girl. I think they're just showing the consumer what really can happen in this world. Earth isn't a joyous, harmonious place to live. It's chaotic and hectic and filled with evil people doing 'wrong' to help themselves. How you see it is your opinion. I think it's fresh that they're finally willing to put realistic events in games. If it makes you sick, they did what they wanted to do. We dont see movies like Hostel or Saw getting pulled. Why? Cuz if people dont wanna see that kinda **** they won't go see it. The same should start being applied to games. I wanna get games outta this whole "it's for kids; it's a toy" crap and into the adult's are welcome too media.

It's about damn time.

guitboxdude25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 guitboxdude25
Member since 2006 • 2120 Posts

this is aquote in the popular game magazine "egm" entitled "shooting holes in game-violence studies",i suggest you go out,and read this article before you get your pantys in a bunch,and come here stating what you think you know

"if this was all effecting kids in a bad way,we'd see something"-dr cheryl olson

its a very good artical,and makes alot of good sense.

im sure you could pick it up for less than 10 bucks

xfactor19990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 xfactor19990
Member since 2004 • 10917 Posts

In a portionof one of thepreviews, we see a scene in which a man with a wrench approaches a little girl. His malevolent intentions are clearly evidenced by the way he is putting the wrench into and out of his left hand. The girl, to avoid the obvious result of his intentions, moves into an opening in the nearby wall, and the opening is about 5 feet off the ground. He grabs her by the hand and throws her down to the ground. Before he can inflict severe harm upon her, a big daddy approaches and intervenes.

Everyone who watches this chain of events should feel sick inside. This is very, very disturbing imagery. While violent gaming is, at least for now, the accepted norm, that does not imply that all forms of it should be tolerated. There is a limit, and Bioshock passed it. Even if the death of the little girl is the key to everyone's happiness in the game, I say: the ends do not justify the means, especially here. If the point is to show what happens when someone does this to a defenseless girl (the big daddy tries to kill him), it still goes too far. Numerous studies link violent imagery with violent behavior, and while I do not impute a malignant psychology toward anyone, images like this are just wrong, regardless of the context.

If you ask "why", I say, for one, out of many, many reasons, because it shows that despite the age of a person, if there is something that highlights the person as being different, than it is okay to inhumanely terminate her rights. Lastly, despite the possibly acceptable value of art and limited violence, don't forget: This is a CHILD!

theanalyzer411

ITS JUST A GAME!!!!

mg25lax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mg25lax

Yawn, another parent groupie. This guy is a vag.

killercuts3

loled at this.

if people dont wanna see that kinda **** they won't go see it. The same should start being applied to games. I wanna get games outta this whole "it's for kids; it's a toy" crap and into the adult's are welcome too media.

It's about damn time.

GodfatherStatik

totally agreed. the amount of violence and disturbing images in movies just get brushed off as like, oh, it was kind of nasty, but in a game, zomg!!!111!!! that person got shot!!! how terrible

xrider987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 xrider987
Member since 2003 • 163 Posts
rated M for muture
Pwnager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 Pwnager
Member since 2004 • 1947 Posts
Ugh. GET OVER IT! ITS A VIDEO GAME!
zaid55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 zaid55
Member since 2005 • 1132 Posts
[QUOTE="RobbieH1234"][QUOTE="BounceDK"][QUOTE="REforever101"]

[QUOTE="Trickshot771"]You don't actually get to see your guy KILL the kid, and you can't shoot the kid either because they'll heal themselves. The game isn't about killing kids, you don't even have to do it. Get over yourself.mg25lax

Same here.

Yeah, me too.

same for me as well
gdizzle4545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gdizzle4545
Member since 2007 • 109 Posts

ommmmmmmmg a guy killing a little kid.

what about star wars ep 3 when anikin kills the little jedi kids? im pretty sure a crap load of families saw that and i didnt see any complaints

although it didnt show it. it does show the dead bodies. which will prob. be the same way with bioshock

theanalyzer411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 theanalyzer411
Member since 2007 • 178 Posts
[QUOTE="mg25lax"][QUOTE="RobbieH1234"][QUOTE="BounceDK"][QUOTE="REforever101"]

[QUOTE="Trickshot771"]You don't actually get to see your guy KILL the kid, and you can't shoot the kid either because they'll heal themselves. The game isn't about killing kids, you don't even have to do it. Get over yourself.zaid55

Same here.

Yeah, me too.

same for me as well

Not for me. Violence towards kids is wrong. :)

55centv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 55centv2
Member since 2004 • 287 Posts
You dont have to do it, even though i think you can. I havent really thought about it the way you say.
club-sandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 club-sandwich
Member since 2007 • 8399 Posts

[QUOTE="club-sandwich"][QUOTE="Shrapnel99"]So what? Kids get killed in movies and no one cares...REforever101

yea club-sandwich u do that

and keep rocking that awesome re5 sig

I'll happily do it :D can't wait to kill some little kids :D :| in a good way :|
dunamistheou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 dunamistheou
Member since 2005 • 4744 Posts
What YOU SEE and what YOU HEAR does affect you. Please don't be so naive as to think otherwise. Bioshock has gone to far, and I'll rejoice when it flops.
zaid55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 zaid55
You dont have to do it, even though i think you can. I havent really thought about it the way you say. 55centv2
But then wheres the fun in the game????
RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 RobbieH1234

theanalyzer411
Then you should steer clear of Fallout 2.
mg25lax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mg25lax
[QUOTE="zaid55"][QUOTE="mg25lax"][QUOTE="RobbieH1234"][QUOTE="BounceDK"][QUOTE="REforever101"]

[QUOTE="Trickshot771"]You don't actually get to see your guy KILL the kid, and you can't shoot the kid either because they'll heal themselves. The game isn't about killing kids, you don't even have to do it. Get over yourself.theanalyzer411

Same here.

Yeah, me too.

same for me as well

You broke the trend! How could you! :twisted:

Ghost_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#46 Ghost_Warrior
Member since 2003 • 9002 Posts

What YOU SEE and what YOU HEAR does affect you. Please don't be so naive as to think otherwise. Bioshock has gone to far, and I'll rejoice when it flops.dunamistheou

Too bad its already gotten a 10/10 from OXM and a 95% from PC Gamer. Doesn't look like you'll be rejoicing much.

Avatar image for EnigmaticBeauty
EnigmaticBeauty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 EnigmaticBeauty
Member since 2007 • 1297 Posts

theanalyzer411

And films, books and TV never shows anything bad happen to children. What a pointless post.

zaid55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 zaid55
[QUOTE="theanalyzer411"][QUOTE="zaid55"][QUOTE="mg25lax"][QUOTE="RobbieH1234"][QUOTE="BounceDK"][QUOTE="REforever101"]

[QUOTE="Trickshot771"]You don't actually get to see your guy KILL the kid, and you can't shoot the kid either because they'll heal themselves. The game isn't about killing kids, you don't even have to do it. Get over yourself.mg25lax

Same here.

Yeah, me too.

same for me as well

You broke the trend! How could you! :twisted:

lets hope it was sarcasim and go with the chain
makemeweak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 makemeweak
Member since 2005 • 1137 Posts
This is obviously a trolling post with a new level 3 GS account. Lame attempt to get attention.
Avatar image for SquallLeonhartt
SquallLeonhartt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SquallLeonhartt
Member since 2006 • 79 Posts
For the 100th time: you DON'T HAVE TOKILL those girls:evil: