Bioshock's violence towards children

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shade-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102 Shade-Blade
Member since 2007 • 4930 Posts

You guys should avoid THIS game too. It has loads of violence in it.

Roguelaw993
Man, sometimes that game is horrible. But most of the time its awesome :P
Avatar image for hailtotheking89
hailtotheking89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103 hailtotheking89
Member since 2005 • 290 Posts
I wish the game not only involved killing kids, but babies as well!
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#104 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts

I used to think that killing little girls in Bioshock would be a turn-off to the game for me, but I"ve gotten over it. If they were cute little girls, then I would avoid the game, but they're creepy as heck... so I'm going to kill 'em all.

KGB32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 KGB32
Member since 2007 • 4279 Posts
[QUOTE="Roguelaw993"]

Shade-Blade

yea but there are no loads, saves, restarts...nothin like that :(

dalriders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 dalriders
Member since 2004 • 2062 Posts
I've seen worst movies
StealthedRogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 StealthedRogue
Member since 2006 • 1341 Posts

Im positive that this has been said in this thread without even skimming it but its probably worth another go.

The little sisters are not actually human, they dont show you killing them, and they are certainly not innocent.

Shade-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Shade-Blade
[QUOTE="Shade-Blade"][QUOTE="Roguelaw993"]

KGB32

yea but there are no loads, saves, restarts...nothin like that :(

But you cant have fun in that game without taking risks. Both emotional and physical risks :P
SorasGhost009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 SorasGhost009
Member since 2007 • 1218 Posts
oh gosh, just chill
guitboxdude25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#110 guitboxdude25
Member since 2006 • 2120 Posts

What YOU SEE and what YOU HEAR does affect you. Please don't be so naive as to think otherwise. Bioshock has gone to far, and I'll rejoice when it flops.dunamistheou

well duh dude,of course it affects us,just like watching a funny movie makes us laugh,watching a horror movie makes us scared,and watching an uwe boll movie makes me angry.yet just because i see a funny movie doesnt mean im going to go write a joke,or just because i watch a scarry movie doesnt mean im going to go run and hide,and just because i see uwe boll movie doesnt mean im going to smash someones head open.

you must think everyones a real idiot to go and think that were that braindead,that we can be manipulated just by playing a game

booomer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#111 booomer69
Member since 2005 • 4107 Posts
You don't actually get to see your guy KILL the kid, and you can't shoot the kid either because they'll heal themselves. The game isn't about killing kids, you don't even have to do it. Get over yourself.Trickshot771
martialbullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#112 martialbullet
Member since 2006 • 10948 Posts
Hi Mr. Thompson ;)
hjart6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#113 hjart6
Member since 2004 • 627 Posts
this thread sucks as hard as hour of victory does...OH YEAH... I WENT THERE!!!!!1111
martialbullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 martialbullet

Hi Mr. Thompson ;)

martialbullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 martialbullet
Hi Mr. Thompson ;)
martialbullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 martialbullet
Hi Mr. Thompson ;)
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts
next thread will be featuring rspca and peta because someone killed a horse in oblivion....
sixgears2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#118 sixgears2
Member since 2006 • 1261 Posts

In a portionof one of thepreviews, we see a scene in which a man with a wrench approaches a little girl. His malevolent intentions are clearly evidenced by the way he is putting the wrench into and out of his left hand. The girl, to avoid the obvious result of his intentions, moves into an opening in the nearby wall, and the opening is about 5 feet off the ground. He grabs her by the hand and throws her down to the ground. Before he can inflict severe harm upon her, a big daddy approaches and intervenes.

Everyone who watches this chain of events should feel sick inside. This is very, very disturbing imagery. While violent gaming is, at least for now, the accepted norm, that does not imply that all forms of it should be tolerated. There is a limit, and Bioshock passed it. Even if the death of the little girl is the key to everyone's happiness in the game, I say: the ends do not justify the means, especially here. If the point is to show what happens when someone does this to a defenseless girl (the big daddy tries to kill him), it still goes too far. Numerous studies link violent imagery with violent behavior, and while I do not impute a malignant psychology toward anyone, images like this are just wrong, regardless of the context.

If you ask "why", I say, for one, out of many, many reasons, because it shows that despite the age of a person, if there is something that highlights the person as being different, than it is okay to inhumanely terminate her rights. Lastly, despite the possibly acceptable value of art and limited violence, don't forget: This is a CHILD!

thank you, and I appreciate comments.

theanalyzer411

ummmmm, ok well first offin the game that girl isa twisted, mutated evil creature that just happens to look like the little girl she was before everyone in rapture began altering their genetic structures and she serves as a way of testing the player's morality, which is a main focus in this game. I just wanted to get that out of the way. But regardless of that, where do you get off writing athread like this? You can spew this stuff about how "violent imagery is linked with violent behavior", but there is no published scientific study out there that does anything other than remotely corrolate aggressive behavior with violent games (notice I said aggressive and not violent). You sound like a smart person, so I am sure you have heard the scientific phrase "corrolation does not prove causation". In addition, it has been shown that, for the most part, highly aggressive behavior only arises after playing a violent game when the child is already of an aggressive personality type. Blind arguments like this that attempt to pin the bad behavior of others on the fact that they saw it in a game/movie/TV show are exactly what leads to censorship and repression of the various forms of media.Responsibility for one's actions rests squarely in their hands, regardless of the games they play.

But all that aside, remember that this game is targetted squarely at people above the age of 17 (and really mostly at adult gamers)and not even legal for a child to buy. If an adult cannot discern right and wrong in real life, it is most assuredly not because of a video game. So the next time you make a self-righteous, fact-assuming argument like this, remember: IT'S JUST A GAME. If you are too squeemish to play it, don't. If you are mentally unstable and will beat your daughter with a wrench after you play this game, go check yourself into a mental facility. If not, and you just think the game is "wrong", show how you really feel by not buying or renting or supporting it at all. Or writing a letter to someone who cares and has the power to affect change instead of posting inflammatory remarks here to try and get a response. But let me guess, you will be too busy playingthe game "just to see how wrong it is". LOL

Ghost_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#119 Ghost_Warrior
Member since 2003 • 9002 Posts

[QUOTE="dunamistheou"]What YOU SEE and what YOU HEAR does affect you. Please don't be so naive as to think otherwise. Bioshock has gone to far, and I'll rejoice when it flops.guitboxdude25

well duh dude,of course it affects us,just like watching a funny movie makes us laugh,watching a horror movie makes us scared,and watching an uwe boll movie makes me angry.yet just because i see a funny movie doesnt mean im going to go write a joke,or just because i watch a scarry movie doesnt mean im going to go run and hide,and just because i see uwe boll movie doesnt mean im going to smash someones head open.

you must think everyones a real idiot to go and think that were that braindead,that we can be manipulated just by playing a game

Great point there guitarboxdude.

MassEffector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 MassEffector
Member since 2007 • 474 Posts
We just have to wait. Soon the congress will have grown up on this style of violence in a game, and they will be used to it (ala rock music, movies, etc.)
secondomen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#121 secondomen
Member since 2003 • 885 Posts

In a portionof one of thepreviews, we see a scene in which a man with a wrench approaches a little girl. His malevolent intentions are clearly evidenced by the way he is putting the wrench into and out of his left hand. The girl, to avoid the obvious result of his intentions, moves into an opening in the nearby wall, and the opening is about 5 feet off the ground. He grabs her by the hand and throws her down to the ground. Before he can inflict severe harm upon her, a big daddy approaches and intervenes.

Everyone who watches this chain of events should feel sick inside. This is very, very disturbing imagery. While violent gaming is, at least for now, the accepted norm, that does not imply that all forms of it should be tolerated. There is a limit, and Bioshock passed it. Even if the death of the little girl is the key to everyone's happiness in the game, I say: the ends do not justify the means, especially here. If the point is to show what happens when someone does this to a defenseless girl (the big daddy tries to kill him), it still goes too far. Numerous studies link violent imagery with violent behavior, and while I do not impute a malignant psychology toward anyone, images like this are just wrong, regardless of the context.

If you ask "why", I say, for one, out of many, many reasons, because it shows that despite the age of a person, if there is something that highlights the person as being different, than it is okay to inhumanely terminate her rights. Lastly, despite the possibly acceptable value of art and limited violence, don't forget: This is a CHILD!

theanalyzer411

So how long ago did you reserve your copy of Bioshock?

Avatar image for jimboboklashaur
jimboboklashaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#122 jimboboklashaur
Member since 2003 • 503 Posts

theanalyzer411
Ok, Mr. Thompson. It's a game, holy crap.
Hermitkermit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#123 Hermitkermit
Member since 2005 • 1880 Posts

as long as they don't show it, I'm fine by it.....

martialbullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 martialbullet
Hi Mr. Thompson ;)
Clinton015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#125 Clinton015
Member since 2005 • 9039 Posts
[QUOTE="theanalyzer411"]

secondomen

So how long ago did you reserve your copy of Bioshock?

Ive had no problem fighting children since i played fear....she really gives a bad name to all of them...but makes what you have to do so much easier
DrkRaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 DrkRaptor
Member since 2004 • 146 Posts
for TC and everyone like em, everytime i play the game and kill a LS, i will imagine it to be your child and be as violent as i can!!!
Patriot298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Patriot298
Member since 2006 • 1187 Posts
It's just a game for crying out loud. Probly just a Sony fanboy who's jealous cause the reviews are pouring in at 10 already. I have a friend who is a Sony fanboy and every good 360 game he trys to find something evil about it but yet he loves any game on ps3. Sony fanboys are such hypocrites. I was reading a topic earlier about Ninja Gaiden 2 being a 360 exclusive. The develeoper of the Xbox Ninja Gaiden seems to be only interested in Ninja Gaiden 2 for a 360 Exclusive. Yet just because someone else at team ninja created Sigma now they wanna believe there gonna get Ninja Gaiden 2. Such hypocrites. I'll tell you why...I'm sure you aware of how many times Kojima has said MGS4 is a PS3 exclusive. Well despite Konami's president hinting at going multiplatform they still keep saying your not getting MGS4 face it. So here they are telling us 360 fans to face the truth yet when a game is said to be a 360 exclusive there ready to doubt it and make a big deal out of it. They don't wanna listen and face the truth. Always any rumor that comes out about a game going to ps3 there all over it and they believe it like its the gospel, however when one is announced that is on ps3 that might be coming to 360 also they start acting like stupid and milkingeach for fanboys words. Cows go away! Just look on their side of the fence. Heavenly Sword doesn't seem to be fulfilling and neither does Lair..Not to mention these were 2 of the games that they said that would crush the 360. Wait...haven't they been saying that since November 2006?? lol lol :P
Vamp_Punk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Vamp_Punk
Member since 2006 • 98 Posts

Its not exactly the murder the cute little children simulator.

They're possesed. Nobody got this pissed about children of the corn or the shining.

Avatar image for MASTERCHIEFUSMA
MASTERCHIEFUSMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#129 MASTERCHIEFUSMA
Member since 2003 • 229 Posts

Im gonna be upfront and keep it short and sweet, spread this to all your buddies and family.

If you dont like it, DONT PLAY IT!

Shade-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Shade-Blade
We just have to wait. Soon the congress will have grown up on this style of violence in a game, and they will be used to it (ala rock music, movies, etc.)MassEffector
Think of it this way. This generation, our generation will be in control of the Government in a few years time. We will know how this type of violence does not affect children. We will know that its acceptable in a game. We will be used to it. Thinks will only get more extreme as our civilization and culture go longer.
Shade-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Shade-Blade
for TC and everyone like em, everytime i play the game and kill a LS, i will imagine it to be your child and be as violent as i can!!!DrkRaptor
Dude, you went to far with that. Its on thing to do it in a game, but to imagine someone elses child as your victim in the game.... Its pathetic. Im all for killing the Little Sisters if I get this game, but what you just said was to far.
Halo552

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Halo552
Member since 2006 • 523 Posts

oh bioshocks gonna rock

fedgem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#133 fedgem
Member since 2003 • 178 Posts
Hey, freedom of speech. You have the right to say what you want, and I have the right to say that you're an idiot. In the end everyone who wants to play this game can, and those who don't, like yourself, won't. And that's the way it should be. You want to say the game shouldn't be made? That's your opinion, but if people like you were (and are) in control; it's a short road to a fascist state.
Duminakan89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#134 Duminakan89
Member since 2005 • 857 Posts
This is ridiculous, it is just a game, and its objective is not to teach violence towards children. This just as dumb as saying RE 5 is racist.
fedgem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 fedgem

[QUOTE="MassEffector"]We just have to wait. Soon the congress will have grown up on this style of violence in a game, and they will be used to it (ala rock music, movies, etc.)Shade-Blade
Think of it this way. This generation, our generation will be in control of the Government in a few years time. We will know how this type of violence does not affect children. We will know that its acceptable in a game. We will be used to it. Thinks will only get more extreme as our civilization and culture go longer.

Right. That's what the hippies said about their generation. Take a look at who's been in control since the last TWO elections. The rich and privileged will always be in control, no matter what the cultural and social changes are.

Clinton015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#136 Clinton015
Member since 2005 • 9039 Posts

[QUOTE="Shade-Blade"][QUOTE="MassEffector"]We just have to wait. Soon the congress will have grown up on this style of violence in a game, and they will be used to it (ala rock music, movies, etc.)fedgem

Right. That's what the hippies said about their generation. Take a look at who's been in control since the last TWO elections. The rich and privileged will always be in control, no matter what the cultural and social changes are.

o yeah we are heading in the right direction
Destroyer417

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Destroyer417
Member since 2005 • 205 Posts
1. this is a game2. The developers have stated that the little sisters are NO LONGER HUMAN.
hoket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 hoket
Member since 2005 • 232 Posts
i think ill go punch my brother, just because i can.
fedgem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 fedgem
Oh and one more thing. If you have a problem with violence towards children, go join a domestic violence prevention group, or better yet, do what you can to end the war in Iraq. Children are being burnt alive, mutilated, and killed every day over there. And THEY ARE REAL PEOPLE. Not pixelated images. Not drawings. Take a look at your so called beliefs and see where your anger should really lie.
capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#140 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts

What YOU SEE and what YOU HEAR does affect you. Please don't be so naive as to think otherwise. Bioshock has gone to far, and I'll rejoice when it flops.dunamistheou

But does it make you a killer? Of course not!

And Bioshock has got a 10/10 (OXM) and a 95% (PC Gamer) so get over it!

lumpdizzwax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 lumpdizzwax
Member since 2005 • 83 Posts
What sucks is bioshock is probably going to catch mad heat for this imageryimplying you kill a little girl, but it really doesn't deserve it. from what I can tell it's going to be presented as a moral choice that you make in the game, not just randomly beating a child. But when you take it out of context and play a clip of it on the news it seems more effed up than it probably will be in the context of the game.
ryustruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 ryustruck
Member since 2005 • 3016 Posts

I can agree with you to an extent, but the game is in no way about murdering children, if you can even call the Little Sisters children. If anything they're much more like Alma from F.E.A.R

carpon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 carpon
Member since 2004 • 1454 Posts

I have a couple of points to make on this...And it's almost as stupid as Statesman being in that Moral Kombat trailer...

1) The kinds of people who are going to be affected by violent video games (in general) shouldn't have them in their hands. They should be in therapy for their mental condition.

2) BioShock is about suspension of disbelief, as are all fantasy/fictional games. Last I checked, I can't shoot fire out of my hands like in the game. What gives? And Rapture doesn't exist? OMGWTFMABBQ!!!1!1111one1!1! NOOOEEEESSSS!!!!!

3) You can only *harm* little girls in real life on one condition: That they're crouching over a corpse harvesting its life energy, just like in BioShock. Oh, darn. They don't do that in real life, do they?

Roguelaw993

God I hate that game, I tried playing it the other day, and it was really hard, so I quit it.

defiant3279

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 defiant3279
Member since 2007 • 699 Posts

I can agree with you to an extent, but the game is in no way about murdering children, if you can even call the Little Sisters children. If anything they're much more like Alma from F.E.A.R

ryustruck

Oh God!, why'd you bring that up?! *shudders* I wanna kill her so bad! Man, that lil' demon deserves to die...:evil:

Steelspike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Steelspike
Member since 2005 • 1899 Posts

Lol I love how stupid topics like these are. First its just a game, and unless u are an idiot, u should beable to distinguish playing a game from real life. Yes u can kill little girls in the game, who cares its not like your gonna go otside and start killing kids because thats what u did in the game. If u even had that mentality than go to a mental hospital right now cause your messed up.

In Burnout u are encouraged to go as fast as possible crashing into other cars and knocking people off the road. Are u actually gonna do that when u drive next ime, no because its a game. So comeon buddy use some damn common sence and get your head out of your @ss.

mg25lax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#146 mg25lax
Member since 2007 • 85 Posts

next thread will be featuring rspca and peta because someone killed a horse in oblivion....darksusperia

OH TEH NOSES!!!! i shall make to protect the world, it is my duty!

defiant3279

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 defiant3279
Member since 2007 • 699 Posts

[QUOTE="darksusperia"]next thread will be featuring rspca and peta because someone killed a horse in oblivion....mg25lax

:shock:Wha...wtf! IT WASN'T MY FAULT! That f**kn' unicorn started it!

skeeter1255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#148 skeeter1255
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts

well i find the game to be really stupid but hey that just my opinion, everyone else to there own i dont find anything intersting in these types of games, but hey man you gotta get over it cus its not a big deal to people no more. and thats how alot of our society is now. we soon gonna have games were the kids kill parents and crap you know why? because the society these days is like that. you dont want it well then join me and dont give a dang about it. i mean look at manhunt and all the things going on with that game if that wont get banned for us here then this game is not even close to it.

I feel you man but thats how it is.

TenaciousChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 TenaciousChief
Member since 2004 • 554 Posts

It's a major story element and is important to the game. You are by no means encouraged to harm the little sisters, it's just an option. Anyone willing to harm a child in any way shape or form probably had it in their head long before this game came around. I'm sick of people blaming violence on video games.

Anyone who is going to shoot, stab, rape, or mame someone isn't going to be more likely to do it becase they did it in a game. There's ratings for a reason. By your logic, a lot of movies shouldn't be tolerated either, and do they catch flak? No. You're being a tad irrational here. Pun intended.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts
[QUOTE="mg25lax"]

[QUOTE="darksusperia"]next thread will be featuring rspca and peta because someone killed a horse in oblivion....defiant3279

:shock:Wha...wtf! IT WASN'T MY FAULT! That f**kn' unicorn started it!

LMAO