Bioshock's violence towards children

This topic is locked from further discussion.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
/\ I want a well educated reply from TC to my responses dammit! :P
Khaine775

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#202 Khaine775
Member since 2005 • 8181 Posts

This is totally ridiculous! I really can't take people seriously when they start to dish games because of violence. Just because the Little Sisters LOOKS like little girl, they really aren't baby humans anymore. It's people like you who threatens the gaming industry's freedom. Games are art, just like music and movies are, yes they're interactive, but because you do something in a game, doesn't mean you'd do it in the real life. It's totally absurd that Manhunt 2 has been banned, Resident Evil 5 has been claimed to be a rascists game, and that Condemned 2 has been made more "gentle". Damnit.

furtherfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 furtherfan
Member since 2007 • 3699 Posts

STOP THIS THREAD.

LITTLE SISTERS ARE NOT, i repeat: NOT CHILDREN. this thread FAILS.

DragonXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#204 DragonXx
Member since 2004 • 887 Posts

Yeah this thread needs to be locked and disposed of as fast as possible. Really, im tired of seeing it.

Kaine666_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#205 Kaine666_2
Member since 2006 • 474 Posts
This is exaclty why games get bad press, because people take them to seriously. If it was a film it would be classed as a masterpiece because its trying to press on whatever problem he says the game has, its a game dont take it seriously, and stop spoiling it for everyone else
Kaine666_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 Kaine666_2
Member since 2006 • 474 Posts
This is exaclty why games get bad press, because people take them to seriously. If it was a film it would be classed as a masterpiece because its trying to press on whatever problem he says the game has, its a game dont take it seriously, and stop spoiling it for everyone else
DeltoidRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 DeltoidRecon
Member since 2006 • 1163 Posts
[QUOTE="RobbieH1234"][QUOTE="BounceDK"][QUOTE="REforever101"]

[QUOTE="Trickshot771"]You don't actually get to see your guy KILL the kid, and you can't shoot the kid either because they'll heal themselves. The game isn't about killing kids, you don't even have to do it. Get over yourself.mg25lax

dude that sucks, i actually wanted to bash the kids brains in.....

Same here.

Yeah, me too.

no matter how sick it sounds, same for me

I add Kudos to our sick lil way for entertaiment ;)

*I wanted to smash that lil girl in the demo, but I was to creeped out from all the noises.

Gridironn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 Gridironn
Member since 2007 • 78 Posts
1.your pretty weird 2.its a freaking game 3.your a dumb ass
Ghost_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#210 Ghost_Warrior
Member since 2003 • 9002 Posts

little girlLittle SisterLittle Sister

Little Girl

WHAT is so hard to distinguish between the two?

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 skrat_01
Who cares the game is freaking awesome, and no person like TC is going to ruin the experience of what could be the best FPS since Half Life 2 - or gaming experiences EVER.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 skrat_01

Little Sister

Little Girl

Ghost_Warrior
Played the demo? ;)
Clippi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 Clippi
Member since 2006 • 399 Posts

I see you crying about this game yet I dont see you crying about the suffering.You see his sons covered with blood. Its just a game anyway. If you take this to the heart and soul maybe you should cry about something else. There's tons of poor kids out there dying everyday does that make you sick? Or do you have to control it over a video game that looks pretty damn good?

I think i've made my point.

Bombed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#214 Bombed420
Member since 2002 • 230 Posts
Go back to your cave Thompson.
Ghost_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#215 Ghost_Warrior
Member since 2003 • 9002 Posts
[QUOTE="Ghost_Warrior"]

Little Sister

Little Girl

skrat_01

Played the demo? ;)

yeah I have and I thought it was awesome.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 skrat_01
[QUOTE="skrat_01"][QUOTE="Ghost_Warrior"]

Little Sister

Little Girl

Ghost_Warrior

Played the demo? ;)

yeah I have and I thought it was awesome.

Awww yea.

The Little Sisters arent human, but throught the game you hear opposing opinions on whether or not you should 'kill' them.

We heard Atlas's opinion at the start ;)

seraqi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 seraqi
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

There is a line being crossed here and it does not end here. At the moment games are in a kind of free zone with regard to content. The devs who are pretty young them selves for the most part are testing the boarders of what will be accepted. I have played MMO games for years now and I know that many players of these games are not children. I have also watch over time as the adults who play seem to be learning from the children rather than the other way around. I've experienced as others have some very rude and even abusive behavior from other players who like to say "its just a game".

Now take that to the view of npc characters and it goes further. The idea that anything is ok, now matter how horrible because its an npc and not real. Well its true they are not real but the ideas they represent are. I am not aware of popular movies or other current games that go this far. With that in mind perhaps we should consider how far the line can be pushed before the freedoms currently enjoyed by gamers becomes a more serious target by lawmakers. I've come across similar discussions in more innocent sounding games that are in development and its disturbing that there is an appetite for forbidden violence among patrons of gaming. In other words people on game forums are asking for children to kill.

Killing children is not ok. As part of a story line I can see it being represented but to offer players the option to behave like psychopaths is going to just hurt the industry in the long run.

brainscientist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 brainscientist
Member since 2006 • 987 Posts

This topic blows!!!

Lock this thread please before I take my frustrations out on REAL little girls.

CreepyBacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 CreepyBacon
Member since 2005 • 3183 Posts

Worse has been shown in films.

Who are you to stop them from creating such a fantastic game atmosphere? Without the ltitle sisters and big daddys it wouldn't be half as good as it is. It's not like they threw in children thinking NOW YOU CAN STAB KIDS, OMG AT LAST HAHAH it was a vital part to the extremely well written and presented story.

Immortal_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 Immortal_Evil
Member since 2007 • 2004 Posts

Oh so lame..get over it.

Whats the difference between "harvesting" a little sister and blowing people up with shotguns?

Terami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#222 Terami
Member since 2004 • 3992 Posts

For those individuals who feel Bioshock is crossing the line...

I strongly suggest renting Bioshock to play it for yourselves to see what is or isn't actually happening in the game where the little sisters are concerned. Otherwise, please don't come to the forums preaching about that which you clearly seem to know nothing of.

This topic is about as stupid as the "Resident Evil is racist" threads. Regardless of what studies you claim to have read, I personally fail to see how exactly this "game" will affect me and my choices made in real life. I am 36 years old and I think I have seen enough horror movies, with much worse content then any game I have ever played, and yet I have grown up perfectly sane.(at least, I think I am sane but they keep telling me I'm not and they refuse to let me out of my padded room. Oddly, they keep giving me these awesome games to keep me entertained, so all is good.)

It's about time us adults get some adult games as games are not just for children anymore. As a parent of three, I monitor what my children see when it comes to entertainment, because that's my responsibility as aparent. I didn't care for the whole suicide scenes in Persona 3 so I chose not to make that purchase. This was a hard choice for me, mainly because I was a fan of the series but it wasa choice I had to stick by. I suggest, if you have issues with Bioshock or anyother game out there, then simply do as I did and make that choice for yourself. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

While I do feel that everyone is entitled to their opinion or freedom of speech, I do not feel making a post like this one serves any purpose what so ever.

That's my 2 cents, take it or leave it.

spyder_r0de0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 spyder_r0de0
Member since 2007 • 171 Posts
ITS JUST A GAME AND IF YOU DONT WANNA SEE DONT PLAY IT OR JUST RESCUE THEM IN THE GAME DANG
catanzariti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 catanzariti
Member since 2007 • 489 Posts

this t hread is so lame... this is the reason games get restricted cuz ppl like you'se think what u see in a video game u will do in real life. and then that will get use complaining then that will ghet the g ames restricted or baned. Wait..everyon go out and buy bioshock right now..b4 it hgets baned or re-shiped without the little sisters.. so lame and stupid

Game_Lover500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 Game_Lover500
Member since 2007 • 420 Posts
Shut up its a game, get over it
fistblade251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 fistblade251
Member since 2007 • 54 Posts
I you happen to harvest from the liitle sister, you don't even see it. But if you still think that's bad, try playing Manhunt2. That game was meant to make you shrivel in disgust, hence to extreme gore and violence. My point is: the line between reality and gaming is being stressed too much. Please, people, stop the serious business with gaming. It was only meant to entertain its consumers, not to stir up controvesy for angry parents and Jack Thompson to rant about. Remember that it's just a piece of media that was never meant for children in the first place(M rating).REMEMBER!!
slayer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 slayer85
Member since 2006 • 926 Posts

In a portionof one of thepreviews, we see a scene in which a man with a wrench approaches a little girl. His malevolent intentions are clearly evidenced by the way he is putting the wrench into and out of his left hand. The girl, to avoid the obvious result of his intentions, moves into an opening in the nearby wall, and the opening is about 5 feet off the ground. He grabs her by the hand and throws her down to the ground. Before he can inflict severe harm upon her, a big daddy approaches and intervenes.

Everyone who watches this chain of events should feel sick inside. This is very, very disturbing imagery. While violent gaming is, at least for now, the accepted norm, that does not imply that all forms of it should be tolerated. There is a limit, and Bioshock passed it. Even if the death of the little girl is the key to everyone's happiness in the game, I say: the ends do not justify the means, especially here. If the point is to show what happens when someone does this to a defenseless girl (the big daddy tries to kill him), it still goes too far. Numerous studies link violent imagery with violent behavior, and while I do not impute a malignant psychology toward anyone, images like this are just wrong, regardless of the context.

If you ask "why", I say, for one, out of many, many reasons, because it shows that despite the age of a person, if there is something that highlights the person as being different, than it is okay to inhumanely terminate her rights. Lastly, despite the possibly acceptable value of art and limited violence, don't forget: This is a CHILD!

thank you, and I appreciate comments.

theanalyzer411

olololloloollololololololol, talk about taking it out of context, and if im not mistaken she is like a child that runs around w/ that huge machine killing other people, yeah sry but if there was a kid that ran around killing others and it came to the point where it was threatening my life or the life of someone i cared about, that kids dead

iamthemoneyj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 iamthemoneyj
Member since 2007 • 94 Posts

I say it's America. Much worse stuff happens to people and children every day. Who's to say we shouldn't see it because it's immoral to a person or group of people? I personally think it's about time we see the gritty realistic violence as apposed to gallons of blood that wouldnt really exist. That's disturbing, yeah, but if you're a disturbed individual, that's the type of stuff that makes games and movies moving and intriguing. If you dont wanna see it, dont put yourself in that position. It's that easy. Well put.

And before anyone says it's not America in their country, then their country would just ban it. Have fun with that. I wanna be able to have the freedom to see that kinda stuff. I think they didnt go overboard, even if he killed the little girl. I think they're just showing the consumer what really can happen in this world. Earth isn't a joyous, harmonious place to live. It's chaotic and hectic and filled with evil people doing 'wrong' to help themselves. How you see it is your opinion. I think it's fresh that they're finally willing to put realistic events in games. If it makes you sick, they did what they wanted to do. We dont see movies like Hostel or Saw getting pulled. Why? Cuz if people dont wanna see that kinda **** they won't go see it. The same should start being applied to games. I wanna get games outta this whole "it's for kids; it's a toy" crap and into the adult's are welcome too media.

It's about damn time.

GodfatherStatik
Avatar image for deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#230 deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
Member since 2006 • 6013 Posts

This is the same as the first zombie in Dawn of the Dead (the remake).

The first zombie is a little girl, whose mouth was eaten by another zombie, it's a hard scene, but it's great.

SgtPapercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 SgtPapercut
Member since 2007 • 109 Posts
Dude...Its self defence not child harassment, besides its just a game
destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#232 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

Yeah man, I'm sure if you had a demonic cannibalistic little girl next to you you'dbe picking her up and holding it oh so dearly in your arms.

Give me a break man. If one of those girls were anywhere NEAR my general area i'd be figuring out how to slaughter their asses.

Chill out, dude.

Avatar image for RollingZeppelin
RollingZeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 RollingZeppelin
Member since 2007 • 579 Posts
[QUOTE="GodfatherStatik"]

I say it's America. Much worse stuff happens to people and children every day. Who's to say we shouldn't see it because it's immoral to a person or group of people? I personally think it's about time we see the gritty realistic violence as apposed to gallons of blood that wouldnt really exist. That's disturbing, yeah, but if you're a disturbed individual, that's the type of stuff that makes games and movies moving and intriguing. If you dont wanna see it, dont put yourself in that position. It's that easy. Well put.

And before anyone says it's not America in their country, then their country would just ban it. Have fun with that. I wanna be able to have the freedom to see that kinda stuff. I think they didnt go overboard, even if he killed the little girl. I think they're just showing the consumer what really can happen in this world. Earth isn't a joyous, harmonious place to live. It's chaotic and hectic and filled with evil people doing 'wrong' to help themselves. How you see it is your opinion. I think it's fresh that they're finally willing to put realistic events in games. If it makes you sick, they did what they wanted to do. We dont see movies like Hostel or Saw getting pulled. Why? Cuz if people dont wanna see that kinda **** they won't go see it. The same should start being applied to games. I wanna get games outta this whole "it's for kids; it's a toy" crap and into the adult's are welcome too media.

It's about damn time.

iamthemoneyj

I dissagree. We shouldnt show that kind of violence, because the only reaction it will garner form the average, healthy person is revulsion, while the disturbed sicko bastard will get off by it. All it is, is pandering to the disturbed and that is, in my opinion, wrong. If you want to see that kind of violenceI seriously think there is something wrong with you, and you should get help. Yes worse stuff goes on everyday in real life, but we should be working to stop it, not recreate it in the virtual realm.

chief_527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 chief_527
Member since 2003 • 1121 Posts

In a portionof one of thepreviews, we see a scene in which a man with a wrench approaches a little girl. His malevolent intentions are clearly evidenced by the way he is putting the wrench into and out of his left hand. The girl, to avoid the obvious result of his intentions, moves into an opening in the nearby wall, and the opening is about 5 feet off the ground. He grabs her by the hand and throws her down to the ground. Before he can inflict severe harm upon her, a big daddy approaches and intervenes.

Everyone who watches this chain of events should feel sick inside. This is very, very disturbing imagery. While violent gaming is, at least for now, the accepted norm, that does not imply that all forms of it should be tolerated. There is a limit, and Bioshock passed it. Even if the death of the little girl is the key to everyone's happiness in the game, I say: the ends do not justify the means, especially here. If the point is to show what happens when someone does this to a defenseless girl (the big daddy tries to kill him), it still goes too far. Numerous studies link violent imagery with violent behavior, and while I do not impute a malignant psychology toward anyone, images like this are just wrong, regardless of the context.

If you ask "why", I say, for one, out of many, many reasons, because it shows that despite the age of a person, if there is something that highlights the person as being different, than it is okay to inhumanely terminate her rights. Lastly, despite the possibly acceptable value of art and limited violence, don't forget: This is a CHILD!

theanalyzer411

Where did you copy and paste this from??? the Jack Thompson forum???

Blackhawk923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 Blackhawk923
Member since 2006 • 247 Posts
wow.....just wow......who cares its just a game....i could really care less what is in a game because ITS ONLY A GAME...if u dont like it dont play it, just because u may not like it, that doesnt mean others cant enjoy it.
Avatar image for KittensWithBeer
KittensWithBeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 KittensWithBeer
Member since 2007 • 782 Posts
Video games don't cause violent behavior in SANE people, only in the Insane people. So shut up about violence in video games for gods sake!
battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#237 battlefront23
Member since 2006 • 12625 Posts
[QUOTE="GodfatherStatik"]

It's about damn time.

iamthemoneyj

same here

KittensWithBeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 KittensWithBeer
[QUOTE="iamthemoneyj"][QUOTE="GodfatherStatik"]

It's about damn time.

RollingZeppelin

I dissagree. We shouldnt show that kind of violence, because the only reaction it will garner form the average, healthy person is revulsion, while the disturbed sicko bastard will get off by it. All it is, is pandering to the disturbed and that is, in my opinion, wrong. If you want to see that kind of violenceI seriously think there is something wrong with you, and you should get help. Yes worse stuff goes on everyday in real life, but we should be working to stop it, not recreate it in the virtual realm.

Shut up and enjoy the game.
KittensWithBeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 KittensWithBeer

It's about damn time.

RollingZeppelin

Shut up and enjoy the game.
battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#240 battlefront23
Member since 2006 • 12625 Posts

It's about damn time.

RollingZeppelin

I see where yiu're coming from but I came from a private school :roll: and we were sheltered from everything. They tried to ignore and condense sex, drugs, violence, etc. by basically telling us to not talk about it. Now of course, its awlays the parents decision whether or not they can play this game, but if they're older then 17 they can choose for themselves. All I'm trying to say is how I saw it, its trying to make you disturbed. How these capable citizens went down to rapture took some adam, and then became insane lunatics. At least it makes you want to fight and want to kill evil people who are responsible for what happened down there. And also considering its impossible to kill a little sister unless you harvest them was a smart decision by the developers.

cricketboy2238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#241 cricketboy2238
Member since 2004 • 5717 Posts

theanalyzer411

I'd feel sick if I had some strange inability to tell the difference between a video game and the real world. I guess you wouldn't understand that if you don't play video games. Way to go about preaching to other people how they should feel, there's nothing self-righteous here. Why, you almost had me with your nice little touch of sensationalism at the end there.

Then I remembered that I don't care. I'm going to go kill kids in BioShock now. Bye bye!

Hermitkermit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#242 Hermitkermit
Member since 2005 • 1880 Posts

This thread is still going on? wow, anywho, I saw what happens if you do harvest the Little sisters, it just shows a sign of struggle and then lights and alot of lights blind the screen...the sister is gone.

And you got adam!!!

blue_tape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 blue_tape
Member since 2007 • 2868 Posts
TC needs to get over it. He clearly doesn't know what the game is about, hence doesn't know what he's talking about. It's fine to have gut reactions, but to go spouting off based solely on those gut reactions is just silly.
cwagmire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 cwagmire
Member since 2003 • 3398 Posts

Games like other forms of media can allow the users to experience things that in our normal lives, we just wouldn't do. I'm in no favor of child abuse or whatever, but you must look into the deeper meaning. I haven't played Bioshock other than the demo but there seems to be a purpose since as I've been told it has an excellent story. Books have been controversial - some banned, later removed.

Games are now entering that phase. Some of the best books that I've read have gone "over the line." I'm sure some of the best games will cross that line yet again.

SystemaKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 SystemaKid
Member since 2006 • 440 Posts

theanalyzer411

Wow..... Just wow..... Your not even a gamer I am sure. Your name is the analyzer411. 411 means information (for those of you who didn't know that) This leads me to believe that your just some person probably reporting for some kind of program or website or something, and you are just trying to get responses from people who actually play the games. And you are also trying to make them feel like they are sick people that are less of a person than as your self. You think this stuff is sick? How about that the fact that a girl that was friends with my friend was just murdered last weekend by the Devoe man? What about the girl that was a senior at my school a two days ago that just died in a car crash? That is sick. But for people to be getting upset over video games? Thats just sad. I have seen plent of movies that are extremely popular and contain violence. What do you think of the movie "HOTT FUZZ"? with the beating and abusing the elderly? Were you offended at all when the detective dropped kicked some ones Grandma in the face? Or how about when the priest comes out and its gets shot when he pulls two guns on the police? You are probably going to reply with something like "I am too mature for those moves" or something ridiculous like that. I don't believe that violent imagery will link to violent behavior at all. I just believe that when people do something stupid, they blame it on that. Most people I would say actually use video games with violence to get anger out and such, and plus it can just be damn fun. My friend even told me that when he gets pissed off, he dosn't grap a dammit doll or anything, he gets on Dead Rising and beats some damn zombies asses. i have not played Bioshock, but I have played the demo. I know that it is a great game, and I understand why people love it. You are able to do two things to "Little Sisters", A: You can harvest them or B: You can save them. You are unable to harm them during gameplay, if you choose to harvest them, nothing is shown. Like in a lot of movies like"Doom" for example; The Rock's character goes into a room with a bunch of men, women, and mainly children. What happens? It goes to the next seen, which makes the audience (us),assume that everyone in that room has been killed. Which does happen. (Im sorry if that spoiled anything for anybody, but it is actually nothing important in the movie except to show how demented his character becomes.) Were you at all offenden when the King Kong was killed on top of the empire state building? Some people (I MEAN CRAZY PEOPLE) would find that very offensive. I guess what I am trying to say is that you can't point out video games for being the only source of extreme violence. You suck.

BTW I am 15 years of age, so go ahead an say that I am immature and I need to watch my mouth.

SystemaKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 SystemaKid
Also, don't mind the spelling errors. I don't want to feel like I am writing an essay or anything. Didnt feel like going back through it.
YourLastDay86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 YourLastDay86
Member since 2004 • 1073 Posts
I have this weird innate ability to determine what is reality and what is not. Crazy huh?
Avatar image for williamjuly2004
williamjuly2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 williamjuly2004
Member since 2005 • 307 Posts
Lol ur the type of person that proably thinks resident evil 5 is racist and some how is making a statement about Aids.:P
SystemaKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 SystemaKid

I have this weird innate ability to determine what is reality and what is not. Crazy huh?YourLastDay86

i know really, like this time i thought i was playing bioshock and I was harvesting a little girl. it actually turned out that i was in the basement with thelights off and the little girl turned out to be my cat. i miss my cat already. lmao

chief_527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 chief_527
Member since 2003 • 1121 Posts

I have this weird innate ability to determine what is reality and what is not. Crazy huh?YourLastDay86

WHAT YOU HAVE IT TOOO!!!! I FEEL LIKE I'M IN AN EPISODE FOR THE TWILIGHT ZONE 8p