Are OLDER gamers really LOSERS???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#151 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts
it's all good, we grew up with it, it's a hobby to us
FooFighter145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#152 FooFighter145
Member since 2003 • 415 Posts

No you're not a Loser.

I'll be 35 in a week, have 3 kids 6, 4 & 2, been married 11 years.

I am also an airline pilot for a major Legacy Airline on the B737 and have been flying for 19 years. Games help keep my sanity in check after some stressful days. They also keep my reflexes sharp especially for the Class D full motion sim yearly checkrides.

I can honestly say my Xbox 360 makes me a better pilot.

rgiroux7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#153 rgiroux7
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Games keep me from choke slamming my boss through his desk, and allow me to share something with my daughter that we both enjoy. Oh yeah, and I'm pushing 30, still rocking the 2600 and NES, as well as the new systems. Ahh...the days before whining 12 year old's...those were the days.
Ryo_Kensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#154 Ryo_Kensen
Member since 2005 • 3480 Posts
I think anybody should be able to play games, no matter what their age is. I've played with guys in their 40's in Halo 2, and I didn't consider them losers.
judas-savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#155 judas-savior
Member since 2005 • 417 Posts
I'm 20 and I work full-time as a supervisor for a internet company, I am in a long term relationship, I am a metal head and goto as many gigs I can get my hands on and also go out on weekend s and party etc., I also am a major nerd and play video games all the time.. Older the better I say..

Besides think of it this way, we will have the coolest retirement ever.. instead of how our grandparents sit around doing nothing all the time we can spend out retirement playing the latest and greatest.. retirement will be a time to actualy look forward to.. we will become the coolest generation of old people where one day me as an 80 year old man will noob every kid under the sun lol.. hahaha.
jpstill85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#156 jpstill85
Member since 2006 • 440 Posts
I'm 22, serve in the military, am married with a 2 month old daughter, and I play video games to get through my deployment to Korea (not that i'm complaining...), and I can honestly say I'll always be a gamer. Where some dads use basketball or football for recreation, I like gaming... was never into sports. And I think some of these kids are just butthurt cause their dads won't play with them or show them any attention. I just ignore them (until they piss me off in which case I break out the language that goes way over their heads :X)
harrylily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 harrylily
Member since 2005 • 1437 Posts
older gamers are better then little kid gamers-.-
j3v1zzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#158 j3v1zzle
Member since 2007 • 595 Posts
There should absolutely be no cutoff age of gaming. Gaming is a hobby and can really be enjoyed by ANYONE regardless of age.
NOD_Grindking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 NOD_Grindking
Member since 2004 • 2778 Posts

The majority of gamers are acctualy 40+ and 18- have the least amount of gamers.mattpunkgd

Thats BS Man, where do you get your facts?DO NOT makes stuff up....I am in my mid twenties and I agree there are a lot of older gamers, but those facts are just stupid

bigbon_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 bigbon_basic
Member since 2003 • 1573 Posts
Well Im pushing 30 soon and I still rock my genesis, sega game gear and snes..!!!
crispytheone88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 crispytheone88
Member since 2006 • 901 Posts

I'm 31, have 2 kids, own my own home, have a good job, I don't get to play as much as I used to. but really enjoy gaming, and so do my kids, and my wife, we all own oour own DS, for the current gen we have a Wii and a 360, and both are played, we really enjoy it

wavey_gravey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#162 wavey_gravey
Member since 2007 • 11155 Posts

Your 27, heck your a kid compared to me. I'm 37 and from the Atari 2600 generation. Most of my friends are also.We are all married and successful.Our kids even play with us.You must hear this junk when playing Halo 3. Just mute them!badmonkey35

YAY! someone in their 30s! I have never heard anyone call me a loser because I am playing games and in my 30s (don't ask me how old I am lady - it isn't polite?! :P)

I couldn't really care less whether a spotty teenager calls me a loser for being a gamer (let alone a female gamer) I mean - what would they know?

wavey_gravey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 wavey_gravey
Member since 2007 • 11155 Posts

No you're not a Loser.

I'll be 35 in a week, have 3 kids 6, 4 & 2, been married 11 years.

I am also an airline pilot for a major Legacy Airline on the B737 and have been flying for 19 years. Games help keep my sanity in check after some stressful days. They also keep my reflexes sharp especially for the Class D full motion sim yearly checkrides.

I can honestly say my Xbox 360 makes me a better pilot.

FooFighter145

I love this! :)

Packt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Packt
Member since 2004 • 3380 Posts
We're getting the point where it's been around long enough that gamers are getting older and it is becoming more socially accepted. Don't quit.
I_pWnzz_YoU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#165 I_pWnzz_YoU
Member since 2007 • 6032 Posts
It does make me say wtf when playing WoW and some dude im partying w/ or is in my guild says he has to put his kids to sleep. Like cmon you have kids, pay attention to them, let us the youths play the videogames cuz thats all we have right now.
cosmonautsix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 cosmonautsix
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

It does make me say wtf when playing WoW and some dude im partying w/ or is in my guild says he has to put his kids to sleep. Like cmon you have kids, pay attention to them, let us the youths play the videogames cuz thats all we have right now.I_pWnzz_YoU

I agree and disagree with this. If you arent spending time with your kids and are playing video games instead, that does make you a looser. Play after the kids go to bed or something.

Today's youth has much more to do than play video games because 'thats all we have right now'...

phearless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 phearless
Member since 2005 • 80 Posts
Wow I'm old enough to remember PONG, Colecovision, Intellivision, Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Vetrex [I never did get around to buying that], a square pacman, an awful ET game and a funny system called 'Nintendo Entertainment System complete with robbie the robot'. 11-08-2007
CONSOLE_KING

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 CONSOLE_KING
Member since 2006 • 360 Posts
microsoft wouldnt release games with 18+ if the target audience wernt all mainly 18+??? Also, i can assure you that more 18+ play than any other age group below, ignore them, there very ignorant to comment upon this as surly when your younger you should be concentrating on exams, comapred when your older and you have time to have a laugh???
flowdee79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 flowdee79
Member since 2007 • 4483 Posts
Some are, some aren't. Depends.
SuP3R_TooT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 SuP3R_TooT
Member since 2006 • 1691 Posts
older gamers arent losers im 16 but my uncle recently got a 360 and i find it great fun playing with him because it makes a change from the little kids and i find older gamers funny sometimes because of the stories they come out with and sometimes because some of them are way too competitive
budda-basher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 budda-basher
Member since 2007 • 40 Posts
Most games are made for the older audience anyway.the good ones atleast.
kevbo77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 kevbo77
Member since 2003 • 656 Posts
I'm 29 and not a loser, so no older gamers are not really losers. In fact, we're awesome because we can actually afford the games we want. Plus, look at the GS editors, I'd say not one of them is younger than 22 years old, so are they losers too? They are actually pretty cool to be getting paid to review and write about vg's. In fact, I'm now jealous.
kevbo77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 kevbo77
Member since 2003 • 656 Posts

Wow I'm old enough to remember PONG, Colecovision, Intellivision, Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Vetrex [I never did get around to buying that], a square pacman, an awful ET game and a funny system called 'Nintendo Entertainment System complete with robbie the robot'. 11-08-2007phearless

Did you ever use your Robbie the Robot? You were supposed to use it with Gyromite, but it really didn't make a whole lot of sense. I used it like 5 times. The same with the light gun. I only used it with Duck Hunt and Gumshoe.

nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#174 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts
Im a 19 year old college kid and a huge gamer and my bro is 24 and plays almost as much as me. I have a cousin who is almost 30 and he has an amazing pc and xbox 360 so I wouldnt call being an old gamer a loser unless you have no life, job, etc.
james28893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#175 james28893
Member since 2007 • 3252 Posts
Well supposedly the average gamer is 30, so there shouldn't be a problem. I prefer playing with those my own age (16) or older, but younger kids are irritating. It's just the people that take gaming way too seriously that are losers (you know the ones on Halo that swear non-stop for a minute when you crash the warthog they were passenger in). But no I have no real problem with age.
Tribalice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 Tribalice
Member since 2005 • 140 Posts

That's a stereotype created by TV

james28893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#177 james28893
Member since 2007 • 3252 Posts
That gamers or losers or that they average out at 30?
badmonkey35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 badmonkey35
Member since 2006 • 371 Posts

I'm glad to see so many older gamers on the message boards. Some of us should team up. Anybody want to send a friend request to me is fine. My tag is Bad Monkey35.

rawbwilsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 rawbwilsh
Member since 2003 • 1149 Posts
I think its how much you play. If you are a casual gamer at 30 you are not a loser. If you are a hardcore WOW player, playing 15 hours a day with no job you are a loser. I am 30 and spend rediculous money on videogames, its funny sometimes I think back when I was a youngster and how jealous I would be for buying as many videogames as I do now. I buy everything, but never play it. Its a weird addicition, I have to buy almost every new 360/wii game but only play it for a max of 4 hours. I am lame that way, I totally waste my money on games, oh well. Am I a loser? Yes, I am 30 and I look forward to friday and saturday now gaming it up with friends online for halo as opposed to going out to bars in SF. Ha
darthzew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#180 darthzew
Member since 2005 • 1213 Posts
NO! I know gamers (actually here on GS) who are grandparents! Anyone who calls a fellow gamer a loser... is a LOSER!!!
lalalamoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 lalalamoo
Member since 2003 • 74 Posts
Older gamers are not losers. Hell, systems are becoming more and more expensive, so eventually only people with real jobs will be able to afford them (ie people older than say, 15 or 16). Video games are fun, so calling someone a loser for doing what they think is fun just because they're old(er) makes little to no sense.
xbxjetraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#182 xbxjetraider
Member since 2004 • 1522 Posts

Everytime someone insults me on XBL who is under 18+ years of age, they always accuse me of being a loser because I'm 27 and playing videogames. Is there suppose to be a cut off? College kids are all about gaming so I guess it's safe to assume that they're not losers since they are going to school.

So are gamers suppose to just quit playing games when they get a full time job after college? I'm sure that some people are just too busy to play games when they enter the work field. But does playing videogames after the age of 25 mean that you have an unfulfilled life? I guess most people picture a successful person going out everynight. Clubbin' it up. Hangin' out with chicks gettin' some. Or maybe just always on the grind trying to make business deals. Whatever.

Or maybe we see older people from another generation and since they're not playing games then it must not be a thing that adults do. But I think the reason for that is simply because they didn't grow up playing videogames like we did. And as time goes on, more games are being geared towards adults. So existing gamers really have a lot of variety to choose from even if they're preferences change as they mature or get a older.

I work fulltime in business and live w/ my girlfriend in the suburbs. I play videogames everynight when I go home. And I'll probably be a gamer forever. Am I a loser that needs to get a life? Maybe. But for now, I can live with that.

yucky_straw

No, older gamers are not losers.

YOU are a LOSER because you let little kids think you're a loser.

Little kids are losers. If you're not old enough to vote, then you're a loser. I'm not old enough to legally buy alchohol, so I'm a loser. But, I'm old enough to buy cigarettes, and that's enough for me.

chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#183 chex81
Member since 2004 • 3661 Posts
meh....im 26 and game regularly...the kids who are insulting you because of your age are the LOSERS...who cares what they say? just destory them online, laugh and leave the lobby.
zaphod_b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 zaphod_b
Member since 2002 • 2201 Posts

I'm 30 and have pretty much given up on playing online. The crowd is really just too obnoxious for me for the most part. I don't even know that most gamers are like that, only that there is at least one in almost every game I've joined. Now I mostly play offline and do some casual gaming with friends from work.

To answer your question, no, I don't think older gamers are losers. The parents of those teens online are on the border age of those who were of the first video game generation and those who are not. I think the kids who do not see their parents gaming may see us as losers, but then again they may just be talking smack.

We, the "first generation", have had video games available to us our entire lives and many of us have come to see it as just another legitimate form of entertainment. If only there were a reliable method of age authentication over the Internet we could all have our own gaming network.

Solidshark21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 Solidshark21
Member since 2003 • 350 Posts
Older gamers cant be losers. We are the reasons that games have survived and continue to grow.  We are the reason movies are failing as gaming expands. I'll be gaming when im seventy and half blind.  I'm 26 have a wife and a full time job.  I think gaming has just become like basketball, where as little punks think they have the stamina and strength to dethrone the veterans of gaming. I'll be the first to say thats not going to happen to me.  In fact i enjoy playing with little punks just so i can put them in their place with a well placed sniper shot to the forehead in gears of war.  So are we losers? Hell no! We are the original gaming veterans.  Remember that when your takeing their asses to school.
super_slonik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 super_slonik
Member since 2007 • 315 Posts
Just because some punk called you "loser", it doesnt mean older gamers are. Just ignore it and keep gaming!
DoomZaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#187 DoomZaW
Member since 2007 • 6475 Posts

Lol the ones who told you that was probably someone you pwned too much :) im 15 years old, and im telling you, im only happy with the adults that are getting along or even participating in the youths culture... not like my mom, she still listens to music from the 70's and keep saying that the new generation music is rubbish and so on. Fact is that i think that it is only good for the society that adults accept the youths way of life.

And that the elementary kiddies keep saying that you should "Get a life" and saying that you are "childish" sitting and playing video games, is probably just because you kicked their ass in Halo 3 or COD4 or whatever, its almost an instant reaction for kids or a tradition going :" If you cant beat em, make em feel bad with themselves

daviwinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 daviwinn
Member since 2004 • 4827 Posts

Lol the ones who told you that was probably someone you pwned too much :) im 15 years old, and im telling you, im only happy with the adults that are getting along or even participating in the youths culture... not like my mom, she still listens to music from the 70's and keep saying that the new generation music is rubbish and so on. Fact is that i think that it is only good for the society that adults accept the youths way of life.

DoomZaW

lol, glad you approve of us, but you have it a little backwards. As a youth you are experiencing our way of life. Generation X is what we are called, and we made gaming what it is today. We blazed the trail, and were treated as outcasts for it. The stigma is still there for many of us, but because we came before it is more acceptable for the youth of today.

TyBrown007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 TyBrown007
Member since 2007 • 57 Posts
I', 31 years old and I enjoy playing video games. I have a fulltime job and I also have some swagger that women love. I been playing since the atari 2600 days and I rather be at home enjoying a video game staying out of trouble than clubbing getting in trouble fighting beign on the streets. I'm not a loser because I pay my bills on time so that I can have somewhere to stay and enjoy a video game.
FAhudson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 FAhudson
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
There is nothing wrong with gaming at any age. I am 24 and have been gaming for many years and I hope to continue doing so.
Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts
Don't worry about getting too old for gaming; I'm 46,and plan on gaming till i get arthritus or something!
Superdude475

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#192 Superdude475
Member since 2005 • 1887 Posts
[QUOTE="GEARSofWAR360"]

i dont see anything loserly about older gamers kids need to respect their elders

CardiacKid07

i agree. im only 18 but i prefer playing with the older crowd because they are more laid back and easier to talk to. all those other little kids just want to get on a game and start screaming into the mic because they think its funny. besides alot of the really good games are made for the older people anyway (17+) so i doubt that being older and playing video games makes us losers.

Couldn't be more right

Geek12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#193 Geek12
Member since 2004 • 1871 Posts

Everytime someone insults me on XBL who is under 18+ years of age, they always accuse me of being a loser because I'm 27 and playing videogames. Is there suppose to be a cut off? College kids are all about gaming so I guess it's safe to assume that they're not losers since they are going to school.

So are gamers suppose to just quit playing games when they get a full time job after college? I'm sure that some people are just too busy to play games when they enter the work field. But does playing videogames after the age of 25 mean that you have an unfulfilled life? I guess most people picture a successful person going out everynight. Clubbin' it up. Hangin' out with chicks gettin' some. Or maybe just always on the grind trying to make business deals. Whatever.

Or maybe we see older people from another generation and since they're not playing games then it must not be a thing that adults do. But I think the reason for that is simply because they didn't grow up playing videogames like we did. And as time goes on, more games are being geared towards adults. So existing gamers really have a lot of variety to choose from even if they're preferences change as they mature or get a older.

I work fulltime in business and live w/ my girlfriend in the suburbs. I play videogames everynight when I go home. And I'll probably be a gamer forever. Am I a loser that needs to get a life? Maybe. But for now, I can live with that.

yucky_straw

gtfo halo (generalized sterotype for humor purposes) and play cod4, no one ever talks... we take our game seriously.. (and yet still manage to have fun..)

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#194 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts
[QUOTE="DoomZaW"]

daviwinn

lol, glad you approve of us, but you have it a little backwards. As a youth you are experiencing our way of life. Generation X is what we are called, and we made gaming what it is today. We blazed the trail, and were treated as outcasts for it. The stigma is still there for many of us, but because we came before it is more acceptable for the youth of today.

You sir are correct (:

killa_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 killa_x
Member since 2003 • 106 Posts

NO the industry says that gamers average is rising, and is currently sitting at 33 yrs old.

as for the Wii thats another story. lol

tensor44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#196 tensor44
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
personally i dont think so unless there like really old like 50 thats just me like c'mone ur 50 but ill probly be gaming till and after that age ... lol
morpheus_phd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 morpheus_phd
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
For me the question is simple, we can put the same question about TV, and everybody still watching tv. I believe, in the future playing videogames after a day of work will be so natural like its today to watch tv. We, the 30´s, are the true pioneers of this industry, without our suport in the beggining of this industry, those kids never could enjoy the beauty of the actual videogames.
mattro11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 mattro11
Member since 2004 • 101 Posts

I'm nearly 40, I have 2 great kids, a great wife, 2 houses, a Harley fatboy, 3 cars, and I will retire before I'm 50.

I play online most nights, sometimers with the kids, sometimes solo, mainly on the 360, but the Ps3 gets a workout at times too.

So, no, older gamers are not losers...............

LilSlugger1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 LilSlugger1
Member since 2007 • 127 Posts
I will play videogames till my last breath on this planet. If some little kid wants to call me a loser for being 30 and playing videogames while his mommy folds his little batman underwear I couldn't care less!
Quill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 Quill
Member since 2002 • 25 Posts
Most of the younger crowd are just annoying and immature. I have a hot wife with 2 kids and I work 6 days a week. Believe me, I will be a gamer til I die! We just grew up in the gaming generation and I am proud to say I am one of the original of that generation. I am 28 years old and played games since PacMan was the best technology out. So there is no reason to feel like a looser. These kids need to respect us elder gamers, because if it wasn't for our generation, the younger generation would still be playing board games!