Are OLDER gamers really LOSERS???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

yucky_straw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 yucky_straw
Member since 2007 • 1225 Posts

Everytime someone insults me on XBL who is under 18+ years of age, they always accuse me of being a loser because I'm 27 and playing videogames. Is there suppose to be a cut off? College kids are all about gaming so I guess it's safe to assume that they're not losers since they are going to school.

So are gamers suppose to just quit playing games when they get a full time job after college? I'm sure that some people are just too busy to play games when they enter the work field. But does playing videogames after the age of 25 mean that you have an unfulfilled life? I guess most people picture a successful person going out everynight. Clubbin' it up. Hangin' out with chicks gettin' some. Or maybe just always on the grind trying to make business deals. Whatever.

Or maybe we see older people from another generation and since they're not playing games then it must not be a thing that adults do. But I think the reason for that is simply because they didn't grow up playing videogames like we did. And as time goes on, more games are being geared towards adults. So existing gamers really have a lot of variety to choose from even if they're preferences change as they mature or get a older.

I work fulltime in business and live w/ my girlfriend in the suburbs. I play videogames everynight when I go home. And I'll probably be a gamer forever. Am I a loser that needs to get a life? Maybe. But for now, I can live with that.

Sandro909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 Sandro909
Member since 2004 • 15221 Posts
One of the many reasons I hate pre-pubescent douchebags.
NOD_Grindking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 NOD_Grindking
Member since 2004 • 2778 Posts
I agree, im in the same boat as you bro, My Wife even sometimes hears and gets P/O'ed at the amount of people she hears comment....and she pokes fun at me all the time for it to....so if shes even saying its b/s then it truly is b/s!
GEARSofWAR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GEARSofWAR360
Member since 2006 • 1405 Posts

i dont see anything loserly about older gamers kids need to respect their elders

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#5 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Yea i have a very deep voice and there is always some fool with a super high pitched voice trying ot talk some smack online, its kinda funny at first, but it does get annoying. Who cares what someone sounds like or how old they are. Just enjoy the games, its so much more fun.

Some older people just enjoy videogames instead of say going to the club, getting pissed drunk, etc...

GEARSofWAR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GEARSofWAR360
Member since 2006 • 1405 Posts

yea i agree im 15 and my voice sounds a lot older so a lot of ppl cant believe im so mature to be only 15

CardiacKid07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CardiacKid07
Member since 2007 • 1225 Posts

i dont see anything loserly about older gamers kids need to respect their elders

GEARSofWAR360

i agree. im only 18 but i prefer playing with the older crowd because they are more laid back and easier to talk to. all those other little kids just want to get on a game and start screaming into the mic because they think its funny. besides alot of the really good games are made for the older people anyway (17+) so i doubt that being older and playing video games makes us losers.

paul52181

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 paul52181
Member since 2004 • 1051 Posts
No, you are not a loser. I'm 26, I have a full-time job, full-time girlfriend, and pretty much a full-time life, but I make the time to Game for a few hours every night if I can. Why? Well, it's just like the topic starter said. I grew up gaming - with NES in the 80's, SNES in the 90's, N64 in the late 90's, PS in the late 90's, PS2, XBOX, XBOX 360, Wii, PS3 in the 00's. I hope I'll be a gamer forever. It never gets old and these developers never cease to amaze me. Plus, it doesn't hurt that my GF is a gamer too!! There are plenty of people here at Gamespot that are in their mid to late 20's and there's also a lot of people in their 30's also. So forget these kids who are being disrespectful because one day they'll be in the same spot.
Nercay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Nercay
Member since 2007 • 607 Posts

Im a 18 year old student myself (not all that old but still) i find it much more fun to play with people your age, the conversation can be great (if playing co-op or whatever) etc, were as playing with a 14 year old (most..no offence) is plain annoying.

badmonkey35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 badmonkey35
Member since 2006 • 371 Posts
Your 27, heck your a kid compared to me. I'm 37 and from the Atari 2600 generation. Most of my friends are also.We are all married and successful.Our kids even play with us.You must hear this junk when playing Halo 3. Just mute them!
matt3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 matt3456
Member since 2002 • 326 Posts
I'm 25 and the people who are making fun of you will probably be playing games when they're our age too. I would just make fun of them if I were you. Say something like "do you need to quit so your mom can tuck you in and tell you a bed time story". You know something like that.
noizedave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 noizedave
Member since 2003 • 35 Posts
I find it upsetting that these lil kids played halo 1 2 and 3 and think they know it all, youve been gaming for a few years I've been gaming well, my whole life
freshgman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 freshgman
Member since 2005 • 12241 Posts
we all become older each year. That doesnt mean we cant have fun since most games are 17 and up
u_poop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 u_poop
Member since 2007 • 183 Posts
i say u can play video games at any age, just as long as u arent a loser, lol
DZBricktop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DZBricktop
Member since 2007 • 2914 Posts
Im 37 with 2 kids, both who love games, and we all play together. Personally, the older gamers to me are more fun to play with because all the trash talking that the younger crowd seems to love to do, has long been out of our system. Kids="You suck. Youre a loser." Older gamers="Good game. Nice win." It all comes down to jealousy. Older gamers can play what they want, when they want, and drives those little bastards crazy.
SUPERMAN212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SUPERMAN212
Member since 2006 • 114 Posts
iam 20old i dont think older gamers are losers i hope they arestill playing to the day they die because i will.
juicenpancakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 juicenpancakes
Member since 2006 • 700 Posts

(I know you're talking about like 28-38 people, but I thought I'd share this) - My grandpa (mid 70s) is retired and plays games all the time. And I gotta say, that when he comes over and plays Rainbow Six, Halo 3, NCAA Football 08, or w/ewith me I think it's about as cool as can be. Complete opposite of loser. Also when I play with an uncle who is early 40s I also think it's pretty cool. There isnt an age cut-off and I don't think there should be.

And can anyone tell me that they wouldn't enjoy watching their grandpa beat Free Bird on Hard on GH2?

APOLLOCJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 APOLLOCJD
Member since 2007 • 2311 Posts
[QUOTE="GEARSofWAR360"]

CardiacKid07

i agree. im only 18 but i prefer playing with the older crowd because they are more laid back and easier to talk to. all those other little kids just want to get on a game and start screaming into the mic because they think its funny. besides alot of the really good games are made for the older people anyway (17+) so i doubt that being older and playing video games makes us losers.

What he said, if anything we should be making fun of little kids who need their parents to buy them video games, and hopefully the fall update will somewhate solve that problem if it adds a feature that limits the amount of hours those kiddies can play online. (crosses fingers)

pjoasil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 pjoasil
Member since 2004 • 188 Posts
If you are in your thirties and I see you online 24/7 the you probably are a loser. This is because if you are on 24/7 this means you have no job or responsibilities like most people in that age group. But if you only play a few hours a day, you are probably not a loser. Just an older guy that likes playing games. This goes for younger players too. You are only a loser if you have no life outside of games.
Eddie5vs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Eddie5vs1
Member since 2004 • 6085 Posts

I agree, im in the same boat as you bro, My Wife even sometimes hears and gets P/O'ed at the amount of people she hears comment....and she pokes fun at me all the time for it to....so if shes even saying its b/s then it truly is b/s!NOD_Grindking

Same here. I'll be 30 on the 26th of this month. I grew up playing video games, why should I quit just because I hit a certain age? I don't play as much as I'd like to though as I have two jobs and a family. I'd rather play with older gamers anyway, so feel free to send an invite.

lightdarksamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lightdarksamus
Member since 2006 • 264 Posts
nah dude of course not, only if that is the only thing you do and don't have a job nor couple to spend time with
skeeter1255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 skeeter1255
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts
well im 16 and i love games and if i forw up with them till like im 40 or 40 or watever then i dont care...i mean the people that make games are old "no offense" so i they are losers then we buy this stuff from losers??? i dont think so....if u love this stuff then keep playing.... GAME ON MAN!!
reubendarosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 reubendarosa
Member since 2005 • 2727 Posts
Nah, My Godfather is 46 now and he still plays games all the time. I think it's cool
PlayaCDubb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PlayaCDubb
Member since 2003 • 440 Posts
I'm 25 and I still play video games. And I will continue to play games as long as I have an interest in them. What I think some of theseyounger kids dont understand is that if theyhad parents that play video games they would never have to worry about how to dig up some money to buy games, or worry about age restrictions on the games cuz more then likely the parents would get the games cuz they want to play them too.
msjr78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 msjr78
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts
According to the ESA - Entertainment Software Association (Top 10 industry facts), the average age of gamers is 33. That's the average. So think about how many people older than that, into gaming. The video game industry is now bigger than the movie industry, so it doesn't appeal to just little kids and teenagers any more.
mrgab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 1

#27 mrgab
Member since 2005 • 23329 Posts

Being considered a loser for those older gamers is no different than being considered a loser for being young and"wasting" your life indoors and not doing things in the real world with friends.

Just sounds like sore losers who can only make themselves feel better by insulting others.

Avatar image for ApplesAndCarmel
ApplesAndCarmel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 ApplesAndCarmel
Member since 2007 • 229 Posts
i'm turning 17 soon, and see nothing wrong with it. most people i play against online are in their 20s. and thats exactly where i am heading. i love gaming and there is nothing about being too old, my teacher still plays and he is 37 or whatever i am going to continue to be a gamer long after im 20 so nothing wrong with it
Doc_smock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Doc_smock
Member since 2005 • 308 Posts
Well said TC.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#30 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts
my dad got a 360 not to long ago, so its been fun playing on xbox live with him on forza2. 52 years old and whoopin people @ Forza2 online (including myself, i think ive only beat him one race out of like 50 haha)
septemberluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 septemberluc
Member since 2006 • 2006 Posts
I'm 26 and my wife DOES think I'm a loser for playing video games. :(
xXmeatwad225Xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 xXmeatwad225Xx
Member since 2006 • 1553 Posts
If anything i think that the 12 year old boys that are insulting the older gamers are the losers. I mean what important thing have they done with there lives? Nothing! thats what. at least the older gamers have jobs and other things that actually benefit the world in some way.
Olgeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 Olgeir
Member since 2004 • 117 Posts
my father is 43 years old and still plays videogames
Avatar image for Del_The_Prophet
Del_The_Prophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Del_The_Prophet
Member since 2006 • 251 Posts
Hilarious! There's more of us than there are of them! Don't ever stop gaming, my friend. Just keep whoopin' some prepubescent ass.
RJLateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 RJLateralus
Member since 2007 • 969 Posts

The industry is for us... (older gamers) Im 25 and my clan makes fun of me (in a good way) by calling me the grandpa of the clan... but Im glad Ididnt have to ask for money from my parents to have my 2 LCD screens, my home teather, my psp, my PS3 and my 360. I have a full time great Job,I bought my Mazda 3 Axela from the agency on my own last year, I have a gorgeous girlfriend (both spiritualy and with great legs! :twisted:)

While this kids have to swep the sreets, clean the garage, get good grades so that their momy and dady buy their games... LOL

It really is not my style to brag about things, but IM TRYING TO MAKE A POINT; who is the real loser?

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 samcotts
Member since 2007 • 305 Posts
The older the better as far as I'm conerned. Afterall, It's people with jobs, who work hard who deserve a break, and for some people gaming is the perfect escape.
donnygorgas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 donnygorgas
Member since 2005 • 2531 Posts
I'm 26. I'm a big loser gamer. I own my own house and two cars. I have a hot girl. I have a good job. I buy my own games and consolesinstead ofbegging my mommy to buy them for me. Yeah I'm a big loser.
Beshikou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Beshikou
Member since 2006 • 381 Posts

And can anyone tell me that they wouldn't enjoy watching their grandpa beat Free Bird on Hard on GH2?

juicenpancakes

lol plz put it on youtube... and i'm 16 but i think ill probably be a gamer forever, it's not "uncool" or w/e, you just gotta balance it in your life. and i too HATE playing with little kids, all they do is call ppl noobs and b**** when they die. and if you like playing games then u sholdn't care if ppl think its whack or w/e, just forget about them and do you...

_HMN_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 _HMN_
Member since 2007 • 624 Posts
youre 27 and you palay videogames? hmahmahahahHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAMAUAHAGHAGAGAHAHGAGAGAGAGAGA....Good for you
TheSilverArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40 TheSilverArrow
Member since 2006 • 93 Posts

Are you serious?

Kid gamers suck! I laugh at 'em. MY generation, Im 32, are THE leaders in competitive gaming. Kids modify their Xbox's to try and compete with my Gen.

How the hel;l could you ever even think that those of us who have been with games for so long are the losers?!@

Little kids with no gaming experience are the losers! Theyre the pathetic ones. Pathetic because they will never catch up and most of them have a problem with that.

Why? Because guys like me will dominate 90% of games 90% of the time over little kiddies.

Little kid gamers are the losers. Heck, they cant even buy their own stuff. And screw you if youre a little kid about to tell me you DO buy your own stuff.

Kid---your parents basically authorize ANYTHING you buy so just shut up. You own nothing. The computer your using to read this isnt even yours. Your parents bought and the let you USE it.

TheSilverArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 TheSilverArrow
Member since 2006 • 93 Posts

OMG...this thread is full of pathetic douchebags. And most of them are older.

You older gamers acting all timid in the midst of un-experienced little wanna-be gamers is sickening.

Yes. Little kid gamers are "wanna-be" gamers. They wanna be like my generation - the guys who define what being a gamer is. Just playing games while your a kid doesnt make you a 'gamer'. It takes experience.

And thats something no little can just go out and buy - in fact, its something theyll never have in greater quantity than my gen.

septemberluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 septemberluc
Member since 2006 • 2006 Posts
Wow, we all just got told.
amscheip1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 amscheip1
Member since 2005 • 322 Posts
hahahi used to play COD with my 68 year old history teacher - no kidding
akuya32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 akuya32
Member since 2006 • 1166 Posts

As long as i'm able to pick up a controller I will be gaming. Some poeple like to fish, collect things but I on the other hand get my fun from gaming. Been gaming since I was 4 and I will game till i'm 94; well as long as I can see the screen and pick up the controller and actually have good games to play. When I get married and hae kids I will still be gaming (well when the wife lets me). Gaming is a part of me at the age of 31 and it will stay with me till games start to stink. Viva to Gaming!!!!

Gamers Game.....Fanboys Pick Sides........

nascar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 nascar1
Member since 2005 • 2763 Posts

If you are in your thirties and I see you online 24/7 the you probably are a loser. This is because if you are on 24/7 this means you have no job or responsibilities like most people in that age group. But if you only play a few hours a day, you are probably not a loser. Just an older guy that likes playing games. This goes for younger players too. You are only a loser if you have no life outside of games.pjoasil

- there's usually an exception to every rule: some people do seasonal work, giving them more than enough time to do whatever they want when they can...and even if someone spends all the free time they have on gaming, that's their business/choice!
could be worst, they could be doing drugs or something negative to you...so don't be so quick to judge or label someone you don't even know!
(besides if you see someone online as much as you...what does that say about you)?

anyways,
TC ask "Are OLDER gamers really LOSERS"??? - if they are then i'm lost :P
...great topic and nicely written!

ashuncc2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ashuncc2
Member since 2004 • 886 Posts

I have the same issue. Sometimes I wonder, because ladies can not stand the fact that I play video games. I guess they feel that it will take away from the time I spend with them. Haha, I'm kind of a closet gamer. I very rarely bring up the conversation outside the confines of my home.

I do have an few ole' college buddies that I chat and play games with over LIVE.

therapyhiccup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 therapyhiccup
Member since 2005 • 1800 Posts
playing with older dudes is better.
Gedden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Gedden
Member since 2006 • 789 Posts
As time goes on gamers will become older and older. Not a big deal. It is when people let games consume their lives when it becomes social suicide.
destef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 destef
Member since 2004 • 435 Posts

Play on man. I'm much older than you and and love gaming. The same pukes that are giving you hell will be getting theirs in 10 to 15 years when they are still playing games.