OMG...everyone read this!!! Unions are going to die!

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 0

#1 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Linky

All Things Must End

Since we're starting from scratch, we have had to make some tough calls as to what features and functionality we're going to carry over, and while I'd love to tell you that ALL OF THE THINGS have made the cut, I just can't do it.

And so with that said, the following features will not be making the transition to the new site:

1) Unions and User Created Boards

This may or may not be a surprise to you, but is not without good reason. Over the years we've had many proposed fixes for Unions, including a 100+ page document that was passed around internally, and the unfortunate reality is that we don't have the time or resources to dedicate to making these sorts of changes happen.

This is especially true when you take into consideration Union usage statistics--on a website that gets well north of 100 million pageviews a month, Unions contribute just over one quarter of one percent of that.

Now, obviously mistakes were made on our part, and the current usage stats are a reflection of that, but at the end of the day we need to make sure that we can properly maintain and support all of our features so we dont end up with things that are busted and unloved. To that end, we have decided to focus on our core features--the ones the vast majority of you guys depend on--and not to bring over Unions to the new GameSpot.

As for User Created Boards, there's a lot of crossover in terms of functionality between these and Unions, and without the one we won't have the other.

2) Downloads

Back when I first started here nearly seven years ago, downloads were a huge part of GameSpot. Over the years though, this has changed, and file downloads such as demos, patches, mods, and map pack downloads are no longer a focus of what we do, in part due to platforms such as Steam which have made the necessity for such services largely irrelevant. In the new GameSpot, we will not be offering file downloads at all.

This will also apply to videos as we shift to streaming-only video distribution. Again, this is both a reflection of usage stats and how the online world itself has changed as the result of the influence of YouTube, Netflix, and others. Plus, you have to admit that the proliferation of Wi-Fi and mobile web has made the need to download videos to watch them later sorta pointless.

We will still be supporting HD video downloads for our still-active Total Access members until those benefits expire in February 2014.

3) Certain advanced forum settings, such as the ability to set forum topic sort order, posts per page, and custom username colors

I don't really have anything to add here, so have a corgi puppy.

Via @EmergencyPuppy
Via @EmergencyPuppy

4) Member Levels, Points, and Emblems

As with the rest of GameSpot, we're going to be starting from scratch with member levels, points, and emblems in an entirely new system that unfortunately won't be available for launch.

What this means is that when we make the transition, all of this data will be frozen in place and migrated over for existing members to show off in a "trophy room" in their profile pages. When our new system (which we'll be sharing more details on at a later date) is ready, this data will be used to grant bonuses in much the same way that porting over a save file from Mass Effect to Mass Effect 2 worked.

5) Online Indicator for friends

This will be restored post-launch, but it's not something that we'll have right away.

6) Forum Signatures

These aren't being removed, but they will certainly be changing (for the better):

• A maximum of 500 characters will be allowed
  • A maximum of one image with a height up to 125px tall will be allowed
  • Animated GIFs will no longer be allowed--if one is specified, only the first frame will be displayed

Lastly, everyone will also be able to choose whether or not they see signatures while browsing the forums.

WTF???

Wow, what a way to announce this on my 7th year anniversary. It's not even the same site anymore.

OmegaAxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 OmegaAxl
Member since 2005 • 36971 Posts
HAHAHAHA
Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts
. eJF5zbT.gif
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mitu123

More news:

ihwEXsSKd910t.png

Why? 

Avatar image for the-silent-hero
the-silent-hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 the-silent-hero
Member since 2009 • 27646 Posts

Similar to GiantBomb's system?

Ew. 

KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
So many people are gonna leave :'(
00-Riddick-00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 00-Riddick-00
Member since 2009 • 18884 Posts
This is going to take so many users with it.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mitu123

Ew. 

the-silent-hero
This, not a huge fan of it.
kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts
@jedi: as much as it may upset you, that wasn't needed at all. I deleted the post to save you from getting into trouble, I know you dislike getting moderated, going back in levels and stuff. But you gotta let somethings slide and not get the best of you.
TopStarRacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TopStarRacer
Member since 2010 • 5732 Posts
Unfortunate to hear. This union and AONU are the only unions I frequent when I log onto this site.
CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts
Well I might not be sticking around here anymore.
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 harry_james_pot  Moderator
I ..can't believe unions and UCBs won't be around anymore.. :(
CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts
Those were the main reasons why I come on GS, to post on unions and chat with the friends I made here...
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Those were the main reasons why I come on GS, to post on unions and chat with the friends I made here...CountBleck12
And now we'll be left with OT and SW...
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mitu123

iby6fVcZHGgaS5.png

Crazy about the union/ucb thing... 

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mitu123
[QUOTE="CountBleck12"]Those were the main reasons why I come on GS, to post on unions and chat with the friends I made here...harry_james_pot

Those are like the 2 main places I post at nowadays...and some game forums.
Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#18 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts
Anddddd, I'm done.
megamannt123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#19 megamannt123
Member since 2007 • 74190 Posts
*sighs*
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 harry_james_pot  Moderator
[QUOTE="harry_james_pot"][QUOTE="CountBleck12"]Those were the main reasons why I come on GS, to post on unions and chat with the friends I made here...mitu123

But the quality of OT these days is just horrible. :( And is SW is ...well, SW! Imagine how many people will leave the site because of this. :(
megamannt123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 megamannt123
there won't even be blogs?
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 harry_james_pot  Moderator
there won't even be blogs?megamannt123
Who said that?
ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24940 Posts

Ew. 

the-silent-hero

x2

This wouldn't have happened if Jeff G. didn't get fired. :(

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mitu123
[QUOTE="mitu123"][QUOTE="harry_james_pot"][QUOTE="CountBleck12"]Those were the main reasons why I come on GS, to post on unions and chat with the friends I made here...harry_james_pot

But the quality of OT these days is just horrible. :( And is SW is ...well, SW! Imagine how many people will leave the site because of this. :(

GS is trying to simplify things to work on things that matter to them it seems. Not to mention they aren't the same anymore so they believe in changing the site is for the best, despite how users react to it.
megamannt123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 megamannt123
[QUOTE="megamannt123"]there won't even be blogs?harry_james_pot
Who said that?

i thought i heard that come up
Avatar image for deactivated-6016f3a1e8420
deactivated-6016f3a1e8420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-6016f3a1e8420
Member since 2005 • 112042 Posts

i ALWAYS wanted Social Cafe nuked

it's hilarious that it's Gamespot that's doing it

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#27 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts
No blogs will still be around, Minty.
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 harry_james_pot  Moderator
No blogs will still be around, Minty.Cloud_765
I already made a backup of all my blogs and user reviews.
Avatar image for jediknight52501
jediknight52501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#29 jediknight52501
Member since 2005 • 69715 Posts
[QUOTE="Cloud_765"]No blogs will still be around, Minty.harry_james_pot

i wouldn't know where to start to try to back up over 600 Blogs.
Avatar image for deactivated-6016f3a1e8420
deactivated-6016f3a1e8420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-6016f3a1e8420
Member since 2005 • 112042 Posts
[QUOTE="harry_james_pot"][QUOTE="Cloud_765"]No blogs will still be around, Minty.jediknight52501

AFT
Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#31 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts
I am so mad. I wanted to put cat gifs in my signatures and now I can't.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#32 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I guess it helps that my activity has petered as of late, because honestly, I'm not bothered by a single thing, even the resetting levels.  

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts
[QUOTE="jediknight52501"][QUOTE="harry_james_pot"][QUOTE="Cloud_765"]No blogs will still be around, Minty.UltraZero

AFT

how the place going?
Noteldnep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Noteldnep
Member since 2005 • 20170 Posts
Big mistake. The main forums aren't the same to post in as unions here are. There are many users here I've run into who pretty much only post in unions, so I can't imagine them being active once the changes take place.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts
kinda sounds like bollocks
Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts
Here's my opinions on this. I'm actually having a positive attitude toward this and will think that I'll just have fun posting in the main forums, well, I was having a positive attitude, but then again I'm thinking the fun for OT and SW under the new design may be a lot less fun and inactive than I might think. Besides unions and UCB's getting wiped out, the other main killer here I think is having the design be like Giant Bomb's... although I never seen Giant Bomb's layout, it doesn't sound like its very good. One of the things that sounds positive to me though is something about the levels/stats being carried over as a save file or something like that. So it sounds like we won't be losing all our hard work, well, if this is handled correctly and I'm seeing this right. That and we can also still do blogs. The main problem I think on why unions/UCBs are getting scrapped is sadly over the past few years the life in them tanked. Even though this union still has some activity, in the old days I'm sure unions like this were getting new posts most times of the day every 2 - 5 minutes, not new posts every like, 4 hours or longer. I'm not liking the looks of this, when the design comes it looks like its game over for this site. Not sure when this will happen but perhaps all of us should make these final days last. I think it was nice knowing y'all, I made some great friends here, and had some good times, despite running into some real bad issues this year. Eh, I guess one good thing about the unfortunate events I ran into on here this year won't really matter much since this site's on its way out anyway.
Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#37 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts
I like cats.
Noteldnep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Noteldnep
Even with all I have said so far about unions leaving, I do hope somehow I can still enjoy posting some in the main forums at least. I just think unions are a core part of the positives about this site's community, as I cannot think of another website I have ever been to that had a feature that allowed users to create forums quite like the unions here.
TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#39 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33350 Posts
So, I heard this will all be happening in only a few weeks too. It's such a shame. Unions are one of my favorite things about GS and without them, it just won't be the same anymore. Let's not forget that some users mostly or exclusively post in unions.
Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Toph_Girl250
Even with all I have said so far about unions leaving, I do hope somehow I can still enjoy posting some in the main forums at least. I just think unions are a core part of the positives about this site's community, as I cannot think of another website I have ever been to that had a feature that allowed users to create forums quite like the unions here.Noteldnep
Yeah that's what I was saying, about forums that is, but the new design might even drive the life of main forums away, especially if it comes with a lot of bugs. So I'm not keeping my hopes up about that either. However, if forums were to still maintain some life, it might be still fun to post in them. Guess we're gonna have to get used to posting in different areas.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mitu123

Here's my opinions on this. I'm actually having a positive attitude toward this and will think that I'll just have fun posting in the main forums, well, I was having a positive attitude, but then again I'm thinking the fun for OT and SW under the new design may be a lot less fun and inactive than I might think. Besides unions and UCB's getting wiped out, the other main killer here I think is having the design be like Giant Bomb's... although I never seen Giant Bomb's layout, it doesn't sound like its very good. One of the things that sounds positive to me though is something about the levels/stats being carried over as a save file or something like that. So it sounds like we won't be losing all our hard work, well, if this is handled correctly and I'm seeing this right. That and we can also still do blogs. The main problem I think on why unions/UCBs are getting scrapped is sadly over the past few years the life in them tanked. Even though this union still has some activity, in the old days I'm sure unions like this were getting new posts most times of the day every 2 - 5 minutes, not new posts every like, 4 hours or longer. I'm not liking the looks of this, when the design comes it looks like its game over for this site. Not sure when this will happen but perhaps all of us should make these final days last. I think it was nice knowing y'all, I made some great friends here, and had some good times, despite running into some real bad issues this year. Eh, I guess one good thing about the unfortunate events I ran into on here this year won't really matter much since this site's on its way out anyway.Toph_Girl250
Levels and emblems will be reset though, they just will take your current one to be there in some page just for show. That means if you were at Level 72 and had like 20 emblems, it'll be in that page but you have to start all over as you'll be back at Level 1 and your previous emblems will not carry over to the new site so you have to earn emblems again as you start with zero. At least that's what I got from that.

GB's layout is trash. 

The people at OT and SW are disappointed with the changes listed as well and some are even going to leave the site, decreasing activity in both forums. They're even removing and nerfing basic things that shouldn't be touched at all.

Unions don't have anywhere near the activity of main forums and GS finds them a waste so that's why they're done for. 

The redesign will happen in a few weeks, possibly September or early October at the latest. Whatever will happen, things won't be pretty in the end.

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Toph_Girl250
This is far too sad, this is one of the reasons why the future looks too dark and that an apocalypse is among us.
TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#43 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33350 Posts

[QUOTE="Toph_Girl250"]Here's my opinions on this. I'm actually having a positive attitude toward this and will think that I'll just have fun posting in the main forums, well, I was having a positive attitude, but then again I'm thinking the fun for OT and SW under the new design may be a lot less fun and inactive than I might think. Besides unions and UCB's getting wiped out, the other main killer here I think is having the design be like Giant Bomb's... although I never seen Giant Bomb's layout, it doesn't sound like its very good. One of the things that sounds positive to me though is something about the levels/stats being carried over as a save file or something like that. So it sounds like we won't be losing all our hard work, well, if this is handled correctly and I'm seeing this right. That and we can also still do blogs. The main problem I think on why unions/UCBs are getting scrapped is sadly over the past few years the life in them tanked. Even though this union still has some activity, in the old days I'm sure unions like this were getting new posts most times of the day every 2 - 5 minutes, not new posts every like, 4 hours or longer. I'm not liking the looks of this, when the design comes it looks like its game over for this site. Not sure when this will happen but perhaps all of us should make these final days last. I think it was nice knowing y'all, I made some great friends here, and had some good times, despite running into some real bad issues this year. Eh, I guess one good thing about the unfortunate events I ran into on here this year won't really matter much since this site's on its way out anyway.mitu123

Levels and emblems will be reset though, they just will take your current one to be there in some page just for show. That means if you were at Level 72 and had like 20 emblems, it'll be in that page but you have to start all over as you'll be back at Level 1 and your previous emblems will not carry over to the new site so you have to earn emblems again as you start with zero. At least that's what I got from that.

GB's layout is trash. 

The people at OT and SW are disappointed with the changes listed as well and some are even going to leave the site, decreasing activity in both forums. They're even removing and nerfing basic things that shouldn't be touched at all.

Unions don't have anywhere near the activity of main forums and GS finds them a waste so that's why they're done for. 

The redesign will happen in a few weeks, possibly September or early October at the latest. Whatever will happen, things won't be pretty in the end.

While unions aren't nearly as active as those forums, there are some that still get decent activity, such as this one. If only GS could see that unions are the main reason the some users stay around here.
Noteldnep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Noteldnep

If you look at it from a company/business standpoint, it makes sense to see that there's a weak link and in this case, it's unions for GS. But that doesn't tell the whole story. I know GS tried to do what they could so unions would stay, but I think the unions leaving will have more of a negative effect on the site's long-term future. I've already read comments from users who only post in unions for the most part say that they are leaving.

I have no doubt that there will be users who come along after the redesign that will be drawn in by something, but for users like us who were here before, it will likely only pale in comparison. 

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Toph_Girl250
Yeah but if the new design will be anything like TV.com's current one, even new users will be repelled due to lack of features, sheer ugliness, and being more broken than a crashed car and crashed plates combined.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#46 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

Non-member walking in... did I mention how much I hate this? A friend of mine at TGNGU, Gohansephiroth summed it up nicely with this analogy: blowing it up with all of us inside.

PiscesChick93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47 PiscesChick93
Member since 2008 • 10732 Posts

Not happy about not being allowed gifs anymore D:

Also, the emblems bit, I'm confused - are they saying that the emblems we have will be in a trophy room, but future emblems can not be obtained? Or will they wipe out the emblems we have too? 

EDIT

To those who believe the blogs are getting axed, how do you know we won't be getting blogs anymore? I didn't see anything referring to blogs on that list. 

harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 harry_james_pot  Moderator

Not happy about not being allowed gifs anymore D:

Also, the emblems bit, I'm confused - are they saying that the emblems we have will be in a trophy room, but future emblems can not be obtained? Or will they wipe out the emblems we have too? 

EDIT

To those who believe the blogs are getting axed, how do you know we won't be getting blogs anymore? I didn't see anything referring to blogs on that list. 

PiscesChick93
Yeah, that bit about emblems is so vague and confusing..
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts
Not liking these changes. I see why they do some of them, but honestly not allowing gifs in the signature, and limit it to 125px height is kinda taking two steps back if you are asking me. Internet connections as a whole are only getting faster and faster. Curious to see how it all turns out.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#50 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

This bs! Post in this topic and make them change their minds!

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29438636/save-our-unionsÂ