Xbox users brought the price increase upon themselves.

• 169 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dj_pulserfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 dj_pulserfan
Member since 2007 • 3102 Posts

I've been seeing so many complaints saying that you'll get a PC or PS3 and dump your 360 by the time Microsoft raises the price of Xbox Live. If you actually go through with it, that only shows how simple minded a portion of you are.

The reality is YOU brought this on yourselves by paying for $15 map packs and titles that are only 3 hours long
and horse armor of all things! (Don't believe me? Go look up the Bethesda sales chart, it continues to sell to this very day!) Paying for a service that should have been free to begin with, at least the multiplayer portion.

Buying a console that has gone trough at-least 2 revisions a year and a major redesign (Along with overpriced accessories) that still manages to break. All of this shows how willing you are to Microsoft and every major publisher in the industry to give them your money. All you've done is slowly cut your own throats by showing that they can raise prices and you'll still pay, so don't complain because the only one at fault is the person in the mirror.

You've let Microsoft take years old technology that have been available on PCs, restrict the functions that can be preformed, and charge people for it (like just the simple ability to be able to play a game online). Then slowly add in "advanced features" (like 8 person chat and the ability to use thumbdrives in your USB ports) and charge extra for things a large majority of users have stated they don't like and/or use.

I decided years ago before the raise in price for Live I would never pay for such a thing. Anyone that is old enough to know how MS operates should have known that eventually they would screw the customer over once again when they felt they had leverage. Again. Like they always have.

P.S.

Don't even start the whole "But 60 dollars in nothing" argument you've been using for years. You obviously operate on an "I can afford it" structure rather than the principle.

xbox360isgr8t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 xbox360isgr8t
Member since 2006 • 6600 Posts
this is no different than any other business changing there pricing like a phone carrier or your internet/cable provider for example. O no its 10 bucks more get over it. you can take advantage of the 40 dollar offer now, you can always shop on bestbuy, newegg, amazon etc and find it for cheaper before and after they change the price.
HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

I complained and I bet I've bought less DLCs than you:|

sorry, but these types of threads don't work, you're acting like everyone is the same, acts the same, thinks the same. you can pretend all you want though.

Twixty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Twixty
Member since 2010 • 76 Posts

60 a year? thats nothing bro nothing

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 theuncharted34
Member since 2010 • 14529 Posts
good thing i don't have that second rate console.
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

me dropping support for xbox live doesnt mean im simple minded, it means i dont have money.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

Luckily I have money and can enjoy playing the exclusives online on 360 that I want to rather than resorting to complaining. It's nice to be able to do anything and everything.

linkin_guy109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 linkin_guy109
Member since 2005 • 8864 Posts

ehh, i can still buy live arcade games for free.....for now :| i havent renewed my live for the entirety of this year and i dont feel like ive missed out on anything really, sure id like to check out reach but i may just buy a one month card and try it out that way, online games never really hold my interest for long so the live price increase hasnt hit me at all

psx_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 psx_warrior
Member since 2006 • 1757 Posts
Well, if we look at it from the advent of how much it is on PC, than look at how much it is on xbox live, and now PSN, it's clear that consolites are being milked to death. PC gamers generally won't put up with that sort of thing, but since consolites will, developers are going over to that platform to take advantage of people that are willing to pay the price. Thank God for user generated mods in PC games. I believe I understand now why people got so upset over MW2 for PC being consolized.
93soccer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 93soccer
Member since 2009 • 4602 Posts

Luckily I have money and can enjoy playing the exclusives online on 360 that I want to rather than resorting to complaining. It's nice to be able to do anything and everything.

Puckhog04
I agree with this guy
static197

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 static197
Member since 2010 • 271 Posts

Twixty

if it's nothing send me $60 a year.

you could buy a game with that money.

why does PC/PS3/wii get it free while microsoft feels they can charge xbox users for it ? reason - because you allow it.

Santesyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 Santesyu
Member since 2008 • 4451 Posts

Twixty
it is when you could of used that 60 for so many other things, but hey I agree to dissagree with you.
linkin_guy109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 linkin_guy109
Member since 2005 • 8864 Posts

[QUOTE="Puckhog04"]

treedoor

pictture

umm, you might want to remove that picture man, gamespot doesnt like when you use the f word (theyll suspend you for it)

static197

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 static197

Puckhog04

we all have money but it's the moral of it.

it's like paying for the air we breath why should we pay for something that should be free, for instance valve wanting to give free dlc while moneysoft insisting they charge for it, and paying for online is just the cherry on the cake.

microsoft is the black sheep of the gaming world and it's time smart gamers stop buying their product and realise what letting them win will due to this great hobby of us.

agree with them now in a year or two xbox live will be $100 a year and then I still see you all defending it.

SrgtSaggy101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SrgtSaggy101
Member since 2004 • 1956 Posts

you for got to mention the dlc is the same price on ps3, the mappacks and horse armor and what not

Heartagram_03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Heartagram_03
Member since 2005 • 3697 Posts

So you're angry that people are spending their OWN money on xbox live? I fail to see where this benefits you in any way. Also what gives you the right to judge others on their personal expenses? It's not you're money going towards xbox live, so why judge others?

emorainbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 emorainbo
Member since 2008 • 3067 Posts

XBL is going to continue to raise in price, wanna know why? Just look above my post. As you can see, the people who pay for the service defend the price to death and act as if it is cheap. Please dont use the "well I have the money to afford it" argument. I have the money to wipe my ass with 5 dollar bills, doesnt mean it makes sense.

Ribnarak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ribnarak
Member since 2008 • 2299 Posts

i agree with the TC.

and i also hate that arguement about 60$ is nothing. If you think about it, multiplayer should be free no matter what. However, buying extra features such as netflix, or early access to demos would be actually something someone would wantto pay for.

i like Sony's view and their opperating strategy:
1. If you want to play online, GO ahead its free.
2. If you want to pay for features, GO Ahead PAY.

NOT MS:

1. I want to play online but i dont need extra features/use them. I still gotta pay.
2. i want to use extra features and play online. PAY.

static197

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 static197

XBL is going to continue to raise in price, wanna know why? Just look above my post. As you can see, the people who pay for the service defend the price to death and act as if it is cheap. Please dont use the "well I have the money to afford it" argument. I have the money to wipe my ass with 5 dollar bills, doesnt mean it makes sense.

emorainbo

in a year or two i see this argument comencing with live $100 a year I believe they will defend microsoft to the death while microsoft employees are laughing their heads off while sleeping on pillow made of money.

Ribnarak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ribnarak

So you're angry that people are spending their OWN money on xbox live? I fail to see where this benefits you in any way. Also what gives you the right to judge others on their personal expenses? It's not you're money going towards xbox live, so why judge others?

Heartagram_03

Becauseat the end of day, everyone (i mean 360 users) get affected by this.

Look dont get mad if hes actually telling the truth. People need to speak up about this. Otherwise, nothign would ever change. Companies will continue to easily get every penny out of us. And atleast understand the TC's point, he doesnt care if u think 60 is nothing or how everyones spending it. But its just plain stupid to PAY to play online.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Puckhog04

[QUOTE="Puckhog04"]

static197

it's like paying for the air we breath why should we pay for something that should be free, for instance valve wanting to give free dlc while moneysoft insisting they charge for it, and paying for online is just the cherry on the cake.

microsoft is the black sheep of the gaming world and it's time smart gamers stop buying their product and realise what letting them win will due to this great hobby of us.

agree with them now in a year or two xbox live will be $100 a year and then I still see you all defending it.

1. Horrible analogy. We need oxygen to survive. You do not need online to survive. Believe it or not but you do pay for online on your PS3 or your computer. Maybe your parents do or whatever but those of us who don't live with our parents do. No matter what, you pay. Internet is a luxury, not a necessity.

2. It's not the moral of it. This isn't life and death nor is it some type of revolution. It's very simple. The games are either worth the price for you or they aren't. If they are then great, get Live and play online. If they aren't then don't get Live and don't think anything of it. It's when people try to impose their ways of thinking regarding Live or anything for that matter that really gets people going. It's not worth it to you, wonderful. But don't ridicule people that enjoy the games and have the means to pay for it.

3. No, not everyone has the money to pay for it. As a few in this thread have already demonstrated.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#24 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Oh well, they enjoy the games though.

Ribnarak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ribnarak

[QUOTE="static197"]

[QUOTE="Puckhog04"]

Puckhog04

1. Horrible analogy. We need oxygen to survive. You do not need online to survive. Believe it or not but you do pay for online on your PS3 or your computer. Maybe your parents do or whatever but those of us who don't live with our parents do. No matter what, you pay. Internet is a luxury, not a necessity.

2. It's not the moral of it. This isn't life and death nor is it some type of revolution. It's very simple. The games are either worth the price for you or they aren't. If they are then great, get Live and play online. If they aren't then don't get Live and don't think anything of it. It's when people try to impose their ways of thinking regarding Live or anything for that matter that really gets people going. It's not worth it to you, wonderful. But don't ridicule people that enjoy the games and have the means to pay for it.

3. No, not everyone has the money to pay for it. As a few in this thread have already demonstrated.

Exactly, what if someone wants to play online but already are paying for internet. WHy should they have to pay when, people on PC/PS3/WII are not paying.

Coldzboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 Coldzboy
Member since 2004 • 1960 Posts

When will people get it...MICROSOFT IS COMPANY, COMPANY GOAL IS TO GET THE MONEYS, DURR.

TheMightyHoov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TheMightyHoov
Member since 2009 • 2459 Posts

Way to generalize bro.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Puckhog04

[QUOTE="Puckhog04"]

[QUOTE="static197"]

Ribnarak

Exactly, what if someone wants to play online but already are paying for internet. WHy should they have to pay when, people on PC/PS3/WII are not paying.

The simple answer? Your interent provider has no affiliation with Microsoft. Therefore the price of each does not go hand in hand. It's Microsoft's business model at this point to charge. That's the way it is. Don't like it? Don't pay for it. I really don't see what's so difficult about that.

I do find it incredibly ironic that people (rather than just accepting these things) decide to complain about the complainers. Xbox Live charges people. This is and has been since Live first started. You'd think people would have accepted it and moved on at this point. I enjoy the games on Live (playing through DR Case Zero right now) so I pay for it. I also pay for Playstation Plus. Crazy huh? Not at all. I enjoy the games on PS3 and Wii as well hence I pay for plus as it adds alot of incentives and free games and such. This isn't rocket science. Enjoy what you want to enjoy. But don't critique the same crap for the billionth time and expect people to FINALLY respond.

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HavocV3

[QUOTE="Puckhog04"]

[QUOTE="static197"]

Ribnarak

then they don't play the Xbox 360. consoles have their strong and weakpoints. if they want Xbox Live over PSN, that must be a strongpoint to their situation, correct?

paying is the weak point, if they can't, then there's always other options. this online payment thing would be a whole new batch of problems if Xbox Live was the ONLY thing to choose from. you have 2 1/2 other options. PC/PS3/Wii.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#30 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="treedoor"]

[QUOTE="Puckhog04"]

linkin_guy109

pictture

umm, you might want to remove that picture man, gamespot doesnt like when you use the f word (theyll suspend you for it)

If only it were like Gametrailers where it's acceptable.

Ribnarak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ribnarak

[QUOTE="Ribnarak"]

[QUOTE="Puckhog04"]

HavocV3

then they don't play the Xbox 360. consoles have their strong and weakpoints. if they want Xbox Live over PSN, that must be a strongpoint to their situation, correct?

paying is the weak point, if they can't, then there's always other options. this online payment thing would be a whole new batch of problems if Xbox Live was the ONLY thing to choose from. you have 2 1/2 other options. PC/PS3/Wii.

And yeah i agree with you, thats why i bought a PS3. i just love how people defend paying to play online.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

They brought it upon themselves by using lines like "I gladly pay my 14 cents a day for XBL". MS probably read that and said "HA! We will make it 17 cents a day!"

I'm just curious if 360 owners do this with everything. If they buy a new car for $30k, do they sit there and say "Great deal! This will only cost me ____ cents/second for the next 5 years!

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

I'm digging how the only people who truly seem 'concerned' about Live's price are people who have blatant Sony leanings. Stay classy, SW.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BPoole96

I'm digging how the only people who truly seem 'concerned' about Live's price are people who have blatant Sony leanings. Stay classy, SW.

Verge_6

8)

You too brother!

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 HavocV3

They brought it upon themselves by using lines like "I gladly pay my 14 cents a day for XBL". MS probably read that and said "HA! We will make it 17 cents a day!"

I'm just curious if 360 owners do this with everything. If they buy a new car for $30k, do they sit there and say "Great deal! This will only cost me ____ cents/second for the next 5 years!

BPoole96

360 owners aren't the only people who do this.

if you ever play an MMO with a Free/P2P aspects you always get similar arguments among the two when they intertwine in a debate. if cars had a free/P2P side, sure, people would PROBABLY work it into dollars/cents a day. that's the rebuttal when the other side puts that pressure on the other. I've seen it before.

shame that I have to deal with it again though:?

dc337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 dc337
Member since 2008 • 2603 Posts

Well, if we look at it from the advent of how much it is on PC, than look at how much it is on xbox live, and now PSN, it's clear that consolites are being milked to death. PC gamers generally won't put up with that sort of thing, but since consolites will, developers are going over to that platform to take advantage of people that are willing to pay the price. psx_warrior
LOL PC gamers won't put up with that sort of thing? What about the $25 flying unicorn?

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

HavocV3

if you ever play an MMO with a Free/P2P aspects you always get similar arguments among the two when they intertwine in a debate. if cars had a free/P2P side, sure, people would PROBABLY work it into dollars cents a day. that's the rebuttal when the other side puts that pressure on the other. I've seen it before.

I'm not a fan of that type of rebuttal since you pay all the money up front. It's not like you go sofa cushion diving everyday for 14 cents to pay off that day of XBL

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BPoole96

[QUOTE="psx_warrior"]Well, if we look at it from the advent of how much it is on PC, than look at how much it is on xbox live, and now PSN, it's clear that consolites are being milked to death. PC gamers generally won't put up with that sort of thing, but since consolites will, developers are going over to that platform to take advantage of people that are willing to pay the price. dc337

LOL PC gamers won't put up with that sort of thing? What about the $25 flying unicorn?

What's wrong with that? I don't even play WoW and I bought that slice of awesome

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 HavocV3

[QUOTE="HavocV3"]

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

BPoole96

if you ever play an MMO with a Free/P2P aspects you always get similar arguments among the two when they intertwine in a debate. if cars had a free/P2P side, sure, people would PROBABLY work it into dollars cents a day. that's the rebuttal when the other side puts that pressure on the other. I've seen it before.

I'm not a fan of that type of rebuttal since you pay all the money up front. It's not like you go sofa cushion diving everyday for 14 cents to pay off that day of XBL

why does it matter?

you never pony up the whole bill for a year's worth of TV/internet service, this just divides it up a step further. not a lot of things are measured in yearly amounts anyhow. it's bound to be broken up some way.

when I figure expense, I look at how much work it would take to pay off. ~1 1/2 hours extra work a month to bump $15 more into a better internet speed was the first thing that came to my mind the other day. and from there you can break it down into minutes a day and suddenly 3 minutes once a day for 30 days looks very very manageable. that's always how I worked things out, by breaking things down. and that was long before I started paying for XBL.

is it a problem people do something similar with XBL fees? some people are even taught to break down a daunting task into smaller tasks, better management. and a more positive way to look at things. same concept, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

RapidTurtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 RapidTurtle
Member since 2010 • 344 Posts

Verge_6

I'm an xbox guy, and I'm not very happy about the increase. I really thought with PSN getting better, that it would froce MS to give us online play for free, or maybe they would drop the price $10. I've been on live since it started, so that at is about $400 I have spent on it. $10 won't break most of us, but for me it is about the principle of the matter.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#41 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Hmmm....TC what you say is intriguing....

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="HavocV3"]

HavocV3

why does it matter?

you never pony up the whole bill for a year's worth of TV/internet service, this just divides it up a step further. not a lot of things are measured in yearly amounts anyhow. it's bound to be broken up some way.

when I figure expense, I look at how much work it would take to pay off. ~1 1/2 hours extra work a month to bump $15 more into a better internet speed was the first thing that came to my mind the other day. and from there you can break it down into minutes a day and suddenly 3 minutes once a day for 30 days looks very very manageable. that's always how I worked things out, by breaking things down. and that was long before I started paying for XBL.

is it a problem people do something similar with XBL fees? some people are even taught to break down a daunting task into smaller tasks, better management. and a more positive way to look at things. same concept, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

I guess you're right. I always see things immediately for how much they cost when I buy something. Spending $50 to me just means $50 deducted from my bank account rather than thinking of it over an elongated time frame (especially for services). Even things like my gym membership that is $50/month I just see as $600/year. Maybe I should do that to make costs seem lower so I don't stress it too much.

jonathant5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jonathant5
Member since 2010 • 873 Posts
I agree, the increase in price imo is unjustified, but on top of that, why do we have to pay for online on xbox, when every other service out there offers it for free, and does a good enough job (PS3, and the Wii to a lesser extent) or a better job than it (Steam and etc) yet they are free. Now before people come in here saying $60 is nothing, I will say one thing. No I am not complaining about the price, I am simply complaining about the principle about paying for something that should be free. Now if they had online play in silver, and a bunch of extras in gold (something akin to PSN and PSN+ i guess) I'd be fine with it, or if they actually used dedicated servers for online rather than using P2P (played Halo with a buddy earlier today, out of the 5 times we played, 2 lagged really badly). So again its the principle, and I find it weird that a lot of people here will say that the $60 is nothing when either a) Their parents pay for their gaming expenses b) they dont amke too much money, but jst enough to be able to sustain their hobby of gaming
static197

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 static197

[QUOTE="HavocV3"]

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

BPoole96

why does it matter?

I guess you're right. I always see things immediately for how much they cost when I buy something. Spending $50 to me just means $50 deducted from my bank account rather than thinking of it over an elongated time frame (especially for services). Even things like my gym membership that is $50/month I just see as $600/year. Maybe I should do that to make costs seem lower so I don't stress it too much.

yikes $50 a month

I pay $90 a year for gym membership

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="HavocV3"]

why does it matter?

static197

yikes $50 a month

I pay $90 a year for gym membership

What!? :shock:

I mean the gym I go to is nice and has multiple swimming pools, basketball courts, hot tubs, indoor track, the whole shabang, but I'd definitely switch to a $90/year in a heartbeat

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Twixty

I see what you did there.

drspudz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 drspudz
Member since 2010 • 322 Posts
I don't understand what exactly you're butthurt about....please explain.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

Remember folks, paying for things is wrong, We live in a world where video games are a requirement, you have to have them you can't survive without them. dont you know this? Paying for such a thing is wrong.

*shakes head* why is it people complain about paying for a hobby? this is a hobby, its allways going to cost a premium this is how companies, and by extension the employee's make their money. Do you think companies or people that don't charge money for one thing but do for another are charitable or nice? no places like valve offer stuff for free and have deals and sales because it makes users have warm happy happy feelings for them so they will buy all the stuff valve releases. I'm sick of the attitude of people these days, I am more then willing to pay for quality...why is it you have such a problem paying for quality items and services?

raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 raynimrod
Member since 2005 • 6861 Posts

I actually tend to agree with the TC. Those who willingly pay for things that are in no way worth the money, are the ones perpetuating the cycle of increasing prices.

AdmiralBison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 AdmiralBison
Member since 2008 • 3970 Posts

[QUOTE="Puckhog04"]

93soccer

I agree with this guy

I agree to.

Since I am a manticore as well so I can play any games I want.

However most of SW do not have the disposable income you and I have. Actually going by a poll on how much the "Hardcore" here spend SW is pretty poor.LOL