XB1 gpu able to do parallel gpu compute and rendering....

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

What is that the measurement of your insanity by years.?

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By tormentos

@FastRobby said:

@Krelian-co said:

gameplay + graphics > gameplay

You smell of desperation my dear lem.

Yeah empty worlds isn't good gameplay, but keep trying cow

Funny i was complaining about that on halo 5 beta everything look bland boring and empty.

Oh i forgot you actually believe that 100mhz will make the xbox one have 10,000 NPC while the PS4 will have 20..hahaha

Damn that 8 core i7 black edition the xbox one has...lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#53  Edited By deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@tormentos said:

@FastRobby said:

@Krelian-co said:

gameplay + graphics > gameplay

You smell of desperation my dear lem.

Yeah empty worlds isn't good gameplay, but keep trying cow

Funny i was complaining about that on halo 5 beta everything look bland boring and empty.

Oh i forgot you actually believe that 100mhz will make the xbox one have 10,000 NPC while the PS4 will have 20..hahaha

Damn that 8 core i7 black edition the xbox one has...lol

Since when do you have a Xbox One? And good of you to compare an unfinished game like Halo 5, that looked for me great, with a finished game. Keep up that damage control

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44063 Posts

MS says.... X1 is just getting started and will be firing on ALL cylinders by end of 2015, SecretSauce engaged with DX12 and StormCloud to boot..... hang on cows, it's gonna be bumpy 2015 for ya....... :P

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 tormentos

@FastRobby said:

Since when do you have a Xbox One? And good of you to compare an unfinished game like Halo 5, that looked for me great, with a finished game. Keep up that damage control

Loading Video...

Yeah because i need and xbox one to see it right..?

Isn't that what you people did with Uncharted demo.?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By deactivated-5a30e101a977c

@tormentos said:

@FastRobby said:

Loading Video...

Yeah because i need and xbox one to see it right..?

Isn't that what you people did with Uncharted demo.?

My people? Racist.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 tormentos

@FastRobby said:

My people? Racist.

lol....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 deactivated-5a30e101a977c

@tormentos said:

@FastRobby said:

My people? Racist.

lol....

But in all seriousness, if a friend had Halo 5, I would've believed you, but you are looking at youtube movies... Halo 5 doesn't look bland and boring at all, it looks pretty great with a lot of new effects.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@FastRobby said:

@tormentos said:

@FastRobby said:

My people? Racist.

lol....

But in all seriousness, if a friend had Halo 5, I would've believed you, but you are looking at youtube movies... Halo 5 doesn't look bland and boring at all, it looks pretty great with a lot of new effects.

i think they ruined the mp, but time will tell, is just a beta

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@tormentos said:

@Krelian-co said:

man microsoft sure knows how to handle idiots, throw these kids words they don't understand or have a clue about and they will start claiming secret sauce.

They use 2 tech words and all of the sudden is secret hidden sauce like calling DMA Data move Engines so that morons actually believe is something unique or Tile Resources which is partially Resident textures..hahahaha

You know what i am starting to think that the whole leak SDK came from MS so that morons on forums could start saying the xbox one has more power is not the first time they leak something on purpose to spark arguments..

Does Sony's PS4 SDK support parallel processing?

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#61 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

Boring, needs more mistexmedia spin and exaggeration.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Yay more stuff for the GPU to do to bottleneck the DDR3.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

@Wasdie: could the DX 11 compute shader do the job for offloading things like physics to the GPU? why would devs need DX 12?

i always assumed this was available for the X1, PS4 and possibly even the wiiu (the hardware is willing i think. i just dont know if nintendo have the software side sorted on their end).

im quite happy with the hardware in the X1 and PS4 (wiiu....not so much but thats been discussed to death) because i always thought this was going to be the way things go. CPU got gameplay physics, other gaming stuff n such like, GPU for eye candy physics (cloth simulation, hair simulation, buildings colapsing) and the shinies.

granted i do base this on a comment gabe newell made a long long time ago with basically went along the lines of GPUs being good for eye candy physics but not so good for physics thats core to the gameplay.

on a side note: i would love to see what a developer would do with a GPU if they were under strict order to use no more than 50% of its capacity for the graphics.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 tormentos

@StormyJoe said:

Yep it was confirmed before the PS4 was even out it can run compute and graphics at the same time stated by Mark Cerny him self,is impossible that you don't know this i have been pasting it for more than a year and before the console was even out.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5882 Posts

@tormentos: What no copy and paste. Prime opportunity to pretend you know stuff.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 tormentos

@tdkmillsy said:

@tormentos: What no copy and paste. Prime opportunity to pretend you know stuff.

Hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... Damn i really got you good let it go man let it go..

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5882 Posts

@tormentos said:

@tdkmillsy said:

Too much fun. The fact you are asking to let it go just makes me ENJOY it more.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 StormyJoe

@tormentos said:

@StormyJoe said:

Yep it was confirmed before the PS4 was even out it can run compute and graphics at the same time stated by Mark Cerny him self,is impossible that you don't know this i have been pasting it for more than a year and before the console was even out.

Sending instructions to the CPU at the same time as the GPU is not the same as parallel processing on the GPU.

I am not trying to be antagonistic, here. Just trying to get the facts.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@tdkmillsy said:

@tormentos said:

@tdkmillsy said:

Too much fun. The fact you are asking to let it go just makes me ENJOY it more.

I don't know, Tormentos is a pretty smart guy.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

@tormentos:

"I'm not a doctor... but I play one on TV." -Tormentos

"Funny i was complaining about that on halo 5 beta everything look bland boring and empty." -Tormentos

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

@Krelian-co said:

@SolidTy said:

@b4x: I enjoyed your post.

i did too, is actually funny to read delusional lems using the "bu bu Phil said!" card, yeah guys "Phil" is going to transform the time and space and make inferior hardware magically stop being terrible.

@SolidTy this guy doesn't get it. :p

Avatar image for slimdogmilionar
slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 slimdogmilionar
Member since 2014 • 1343 Posts
@tormentos said:

Move engines are part of the GPU not the CPU or memory which mean they are inside every GCN the xbox one doesn't have DME because it has ESRAM or to make the xbox one see the data while it is on ESRAM which the xbox one can't do,DMA are part of GCN architecture.

No they are exactly the same the only difference is that MS named it Tile Resources so it could use it on Nvidia GPU while talking about DX,since PRT is a name AMD gave to the same feature but is exactly the same thing and in both is hardware supported contrary to what you believe that PRT was software.

The same happen with encoder decoders,upscaler and basically everything else.

Oh please dude i am not the one all months and weeks trying to prove how the xbox one will magically be on par with the PS4 so yeah the insecurities come from you people,oh brother anything the xbox one can do by driver or software the PS4 can do it as well and better period,there is nothing MS can do that sony can't is the same GPU and same CPU,memory is not a problems for either console they have memory to spare,the PS4 could have come with 4GB of GDDR5 and still would have beat the xbox one..

So what are you saying that the move engines are not there to move data back and forth between esram and ddr3? No one ever said that they were not part of GCN cards, you keep trying to prove points that don't need to be proven to make yourself feel smart. I gave my reasoning for them being on XB and PC but yet you can't give me a reason why they are on PS4, even though I have yet to see a ps4 diagram with DME"s I see DMA but no DME's. And they are not the same still, PS4 DMA only support decompression and not both decompression and compression like the XB1, and on XB1 DME's work independently of the cpu or gpu. This is what they mean when they say DME on XB1 can pull, push, and move data without needing the CPU or GPU, basically as data is being pulled by the move engines from the CPU/GPU the DME's can send it's own data back to CPU/GPU, ie tiling. The task that the XB1 DME's can do independently will have to be tasked to the PS4's CPU or GPU. It's not as easy as having unified memory but it can happen pretty fast and without the GPU or CPU wasting time with data needing to be moved around, so even if you are compute or bandwidth bound on the xbox the move engines can still work freely .

Even if both consoles have memory to spare a 45% reduction in vertex and pixel shader objects is a huge gain, more memory is never a bad thing. Its not the same architecture and the more you try to stress this the dumber you make yourself look. Ps4 has brute force on it's side but it can't do everything better than the xbox, some things that have to be tasked to the ps4 gpu/cpu the xbox has extra hardware in place to free up the cpu/gpu, like tiling and untiling. The xbox doesn't have to waste cpu/gpu time compressing and decompressing data.

Lastly you should know that DMA and DME are different, Direct Memory Access vs Data Move Engines.

@FoxbatAlpha: I can't see those graphs you posted.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 deactivated-5a30e101a977c

@Krelian-co said:

@FastRobby said:

@tormentos said:

@FastRobby said:

My people? Racist.

lol....

i think they ruined the mp, but time will tell, is just a beta

Sure that's why everyone is saying they enhanced the mp gameplay...

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

@Scipio8 said:

At least Xbox got something worth a damn to leak. The only thing leaking out of Sony is your personal data LOL

Yeah, unquantifiable benefits from freeing up half a core. Big whoop. Gotta give lemmings a little pep at the start of a bad year for them, I guess, Insipid8.

@FastRobby said:

Gameplay > Graphics, but keep wishing it was the other way around with your beautiful empty worlds.

Yeah, instead you get Sunset Overdrive: looks rough and has empty worlds.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 deactivated-5a30e101a977c

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@FastRobby said:

Gameplay > Graphics, but keep wishing it was the other way around with your beautiful empty worlds.

Both not true. Praised for it colorful beautiful world, which isn't empty at all. If Sony didn't shit on insomniac we could've played it all together

GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 GrenadeLauncher

@FastRobby said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@FastRobby said:

Both not true. Praised for it colorful beautiful world, which isn't empty at all. If Sony didn't shit on insomniac we could've played it all together

Colourful and low-polygon world. I saw the live streams, outside of a few horde mode sections the city is as dead as the 3DO.

MS will regret not asking for IP ownership looking at the low turnover of the game, likely based on accurate expectations it'll wind up multiplat, but it looks like the more hard-nosed Spencer is making that a pre-requisite for funding (case study: the now-cancelled Ryse 2: Son of Boogaloo).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By deactivated-5a30e101a977c

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@FastRobby said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@FastRobby said:

Colourful and low-polygon world. I saw the live streams, outside of a few horde mode sections the city is as dead as the 3DO.

MS will regret not asking for IP ownership looking at the low turnover of the game, likely based on accurate expectations it'll wind up multiplat, but it looks like the more hard-nosed Spencer is making that a pre-requisite for funding (case study: the now-cancelled Ryse 2: Son of Boogaloo).

Lol, low-polygon, haha good one. It has more than 40k polygons per character, knowing that it could have 50-100 enemies at the same time on screen... And yeah no, it's not an empty city, I haven't seen a single review claiming it was empty and boring like Infamous.

I don't care about if it's going to go multiplat or not. It was a great game, looked great, and was a lot of fun. Just because you watched some video's on the internet and haven't played it, doesn't mean anything

slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By slimdogmilionar

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@FastRobby said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@FastRobby said:

Spoken like someone who never played the game. First of all the city has been evacuated except for a few people, secondly you won't see many enemies while you are traversing but if you try to walk on the streets things get hectic really really quick. How about proving your point, I'd bet anything you could put ISS most chaotic fight next to SO and SO will have a ton more going on than ISS, watch how fast that "empty world" fills up and gets chaotic.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By tormentos

@slimdogmilionar said:

So what are you saying that the move engines are not there to move data back and forth between esram and ddr3? No one ever said that they were not part of GCN cards, you keep trying to prove points that don't need to be proven to make yourself feel smart.

I gave my reasoning for them being on XB and PC but yet you can't give me a reason why they are on PS4, even though I have yet to see a ps4 diagram with DME"s I see DMA but no DME's. And they are not the same still, PS4 DMA only support decompression and not both decompression and compression like the XB1, and on XB1 DME's work independently of the cpu or gpu.

This is what they mean when they say DME on XB1 can pull, push, and move data without needing the CPU or GPU, basically as data is being pulled by the move engines from the CPU/GPU the DME's can send it's own data back to CPU/GPU, ie tiling. The task that the XB1 DME's can do independently will have to be tasked to the PS4's CPU or GPU. It's not as easy as having unified memory but it can happen pretty fast and without the GPU or CPU wasting time with data needing to be moved around, so even if you are compute or bandwidth bound on the xbox the move engines can still work freely .

Even if both consoles have memory to spare a 45% reduction in vertex and pixel shader objects is a huge gain, more memory is never a bad thing. Its not the same architecture and the more you try to stress this the dumber you make yourself look. Ps4 has brute force on it's side but it can't do everything better than the xbox, some things that have to be tasked to the ps4 gpu/cpu the xbox has extra hardware in place to free up the cpu/gpu, like tiling and untiling. The xbox doesn't have to waste cpu/gpu time compressing and decompressing data.

Lastly you should know that DMA and DME are different, Direct Memory Access vs Data Move Engines.

@FoxbatAlpha: I can't see those graphs you posted.

No for the freaking 10 times DMA and DME are the same shit with different name..

Partially Resident Textures vs Tiled Resources they sound as different as it can be but are the same Virtual texturing but hardware supported.

Xbox One (Durango) hardware has four move engines for fast direct memory access (DMA)Read more at:

http://www.vgleaks.com/world-exclusive-durangos-move-engines

From Vgleaks the final nail on your coffin...

MS on purpose changed the name DMA to DME in order to try to make seen like only the xbox one has it,which is not true at all DMA=DME just like Tile Resources = Partially resident textures exactly the same...

All that bullshit you have there is wrong for the last time stop arguing shit you don't know or understand DMA=DME MS changed the naming,which is why you see DMA on PS4 and no DME because sony let the naming alone...lol

The four move engines all have a common baseline ability to move memory in any combination of the following ways:

• From main RAM or from ESRAM
  • To main RAM or to ESRAM
  • From linear or tiled memory format
  • To linear or tiled memory format
  • From a sub-rectangle of a texture
  • To a sub-rectangle of a texture
  • From a sub-box of a 3D texture
  • To a sub-box of a 3D texture

The move engines can also be used to set an area of memory to a constant value.

DME or DMA move data from ESRAM to DDR3 is basically all it does it doesn't sen or receive any data from the CPU,while the data is on ESRAM the xbox one CPU can't see it period stated by MS it self.

Sony has its own compressor and decompressor due and are hardware not software they are call DMA the same shit on xbox one,the CPU and GOU will have to do nothing stop inventing shit.

Is the same GPU and same GPU with different memory structures which in no way favor the xbox one as it has 2 memory pools and only 32 MB of fast ram which will never be as good or effective as 5GB of GDDR5 are,and again the PS4 could have come with 4GB of memory and still would have beat the xbox one performance wise.

The PS4 doesn't need tiling you idiot it doesn't have a freaking 32mb of small ass fast memory,what you see as some how an advantage is in deed a patch so that the xbox one can keep up with the PS4 and not be as fu** by MS decision of using DDR3 as main memory nothing less.

slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By slimdogmilionar

#

@tormentos said:

No for the freaking 10 times DMA and DME are the same shit with different name..

Partially Resident Textures vs Tiled Resources they sound as different as it can be but are the same Virtual texturing but hardware supported.

Xbox One (Durango) hardware has four move engines for fast direct memory access (DMA)Read more at:

http://www.vgleaks.com/world-exclusive-durangos-move-engines

From Vgleaks the final nail on your coffin...

MS on purpose changed the name DMA to DME in order to try to make seen like only the xbox one has it,which is not true at all DMA=DME just like Tile Resources = Partially resident textures exactly the same...

All that bullshit you have there is wrong for the last time stop arguing shit you don't know or understand DMA=DME MS changed the naming,which is why you see DMA on PS4 and no DME because sony let the naming alone...lol

The four move engines all have a common baseline ability to move memory in any combination of the following ways:

• From main RAM or from ESRAM
  • To main RAM or to ESRAM
  • From linear or tiled memory format
  • To linear or tiled memory format
  • From a sub-rectangle of a texture
  • To a sub-rectangle of a texture
  • From a sub-box of a 3D texture
  • To a sub-box of a 3D texture

The move engines can also be used to set an area of memory to a constant value.

DME or DMA move data from ESRAM to DDR3 is basically all it does it doesn't sen or receive any data from the CPU,while the data is on ESRAM the xbox one CPU can't see it period stated by MS it self.

Sony has its own compressor and decompressor due and are hardware not software they are call DMA the same shit on xbox one,the CPU and GOU will have to do nothing stop inventing shit.

Is the same GPU and same GPU with different memory structures which in no way favor the xbox one as it has 2 memory pools and only 32 MB of fast ram which will never be as good or effective as 5GB of GDDR5 are,and again the PS4 could have come with 4GB of memory and still would have beat the xbox one performance wise.

The PS4 doesn't need tiling you idiot it doesn't have a freaking 32mb of small ass fast memory,what you see as some how an advantage is in deed a patch so that the xbox one can keep up with the PS4 and not be as fu** by MS decision of using DDR3 as main memory nothing less.

LOL I don't know where to start dissecting this BS you just posted. Let's start with the fact that you said PS4 has DMA, but in your closing arguments you go on to say that PS4 doesn't need tiling because it has fast memory. Now check this out it comes from your same vgleaks source.

You see they are labeled DMA & tile/untile. 0 and 1 strictly DMA+ tile/untile. 2 and 3 are DMA+tile/untile+decode+encode. If PS4 does not need to tile you can see why would it need the same move engines that the XB1 has, the name is changed on XB1 because the move engines naturally support DMA but they are different from your normal DMA engines by featuring compression/decompression. Now even though PS4 has DMA how will it handle compression and decompression? Since you don't understand the point of DMA on PS4, I'll give you my theory. I think the DMA engines on the PS4 are there for instances when the CPU can't keep up with GPU so some of the decode will be offloaded to the DMA engine, but unlike on xbox the transfer will still have to be started by the CPU that's a wasted cycle compared to the Xb1 where the move engines can initiate the transfer themselves. That's why there is so much buzz around the move engines on the Xbox because they don't need the CPU to initiate anything they are their own independent system.

Secondly you say that the DME's can't send data to the CPU if it's sending it to DDR3 then the CPU will have access to that data, right or wrong? Right. You are exactly right the XB1 cpu can't see any data held in esram but it can see everything that's in DDR3. Not all textures need fast bandwidth so if you have one that doesn't you could use esram bandwidth to produce it fast but then have the move engines pass it off to DDR3 while both the CPU and GPU are still working at their peak.

Again from your own vgleaks source:

Copy OperationPeak throughput using move engine(s)Peak throughput using shader
RAM ->RAM25.6 GB/s34 GB/s
RAM ->ESRAM25.6 GB/s68 GB/s
ESRAM -> RAM25.6 GB/s68 GB/s
ESRAM -> ESRAM25.6 GB/s51.2 GB/s

The advantage of the move engines lies in the fact that they can operate in parallel with computation. During times when the GPU is compute bound, move engine operations are effectively free. Even while the GPU is bandwidth bound, move engine operations may still be free if they use different pathways. For example, a move engine copy from RAM to RAM would not be impacted by a shader that only accesses ESRAM.

One move engine out of the four supports generic lossless encoding and one move engine supports generic lossless decoding. These operations act as extensions on top of the standard DMA modes.

The same move engine that supports LZ decoding also supports JPEG decoding. Just as with LZ, JPEG decoding operates as an extension on top of the standard DMA modes

Now you notice the bold part where it says acts as extensions on top of the normal DMA modes, in case you don't fully understand it means that they are not like the normal DMA found in GCN and the PS4.

You spin your arguments so much to make yourself seem right. So if the PS4 does not need tiling what was your whole rant about PRT, without PRT the PS4 would definitely need more than 4.5gb of ram. And again you are right on the xbox they are a patch to help the XB keep up with the fast ram of the PS4, but it was not a last minute thing. MS built the console based on the fact that it would take full advantage of tiling while not tasking the CPU with the job. Now take into consideration that developers are talking about ways to make their render targets smaller. PS4 used brute force but still everything that comes and goes to the DMA engines have to be initiated by the CPU. not only is the XB1 slightly faster than the PS4's it also has less latency because of DDR3. Are you seeing the difference now?

So do you wanna rethink your argument that DMA and DME are the same thing because unless you can show me a diagram of the PS4 having DMA engines that work the same way as the Xbox you should just admit that you are wrong. The source you posted did nothing but help you to prove my point. So much for the nail in the coffin eh.

Go ahead try and spin it.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#81 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

I'm not saying anything. I'll stay patient and wait for the right time. Greatness is coming.
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120402225423/random-ness/images/3/34/Michael_Jackson_popcorn.gif

btk2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 btk2k2
Member since 2003 • 440 Posts

Isn't this just asynchronous compute? I thought this was common knowledge that both PS4 and Xbox One could do this although Xbox One is not quite as competent because 1) only the DDR3 supports hUMA, 2) it has fewer resources with which to handle the workload and 3) it has fewer ACE units so there will be more CPU overhead if you exceed the amount of compute tasks you can store in those units.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#83 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@slimdogmilionar:

One major issue remains ESRAM cant handle all the tasks that require fast read/writes. There will be compromises made in what to use within every frame. 32mb is not nearly enough for tiling and all the shaders,shadows, lighting workloads.

slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 slimdogmilionar

@04dcarraher: That's a given but this is more about Tormentos always trying to prove or disprove things. Anytime you say something good about xbox he takes to the heart as if you are saying something bad about the PS4. Esram is small but hopefully developers can find ways to make the targets that do fit in there smaller, I just read an article not to long about a developer talking about the difference between PS4 and Xbox. Regarding esram he hinted at finding ways to make targets smaller. It's more work for developers but that's Microsoft's own fault. I'll try to find the article so I can post it here.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By 04dcarraher

@slimdogmilionar:

MS souldnt have been so cheap on the design, Sony nearly did the same thing . Both consoles run into lack of cpu power. 1.6/1.7 ghz jaguar architecture isnt enough to do the typical cpu workloads and feed the gpu in complex and dynamic games. Both companies and game developers will be forced to rely on gpgpu abilities to do specific tasks to save cpu cycles, and or allow more complex features. DX 12 will help the X1 save some cpu cycles and allow more refined tools but like I stated earlier dx12 wont be secret sauce many are hoping (it will help no doubt however). The PS4 has more headroom for more gpgpu options, and more straight forward memory design. But again we know Sony does not have the best track record in optimizing their tools and OS's quickly.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@osan0 said:

@Wasdie: could the DX 11 compute shader do the job for offloading things like physics to the GPU? why would devs need DX 12?

i always assumed this was available for the X1, PS4 and possibly even the wiiu (the hardware is willing i think. i just dont know if nintendo have the software side sorted on their end).

im quite happy with the hardware in the X1 and PS4 (wiiu....not so much but thats been discussed to death) because i always thought this was going to be the way things go. CPU got gameplay physics, other gaming stuff n such like, GPU for eye candy physics (cloth simulation, hair simulation, buildings colapsing) and the shinies.

granted i do base this on a comment gabe newell made a long long time ago with basically went along the lines of GPUs being good for eye candy physics but not so good for physics thats core to the gameplay.

on a side note: i would love to see what a developer would do with a GPU if they were under strict order to use no more than 50% of its capacity for the graphics.

The problem with DX11's compute shader is the latency for getting results back from the GPU. Read http://www.slideshare.net/zlatan4177/gpgpu-algorithms-in-games

GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 GrenadeLauncher

@slimdogmilionar said:

Spoken like someone who never played the game. First of all the city has been evacuated except for a few people, secondly you won't see many enemies while you are traversing

No need. You just proved my point for me. :)

GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 GrenadeLauncher

@blackace said:

I'm not saying anything.

For the best.

@FastRobby said:

Lol, low-polygon, haha good one. It has more than 40k polygons per character, knowing that it could have 50-100 enemies at the same time on screen... And yeah no, it's not an empty city, I haven't seen a single review claiming it was empty and boring like Infamous.

I don't care about if it's going to go multiplat or not. It was a great game, looked great, and was a lot of fun. Just because you watched some video's on the internet and haven't played it, doesn't mean anything

So the same number of character polygons Killzone Shadow Fall had? Xbone exclusives are still trying to catch up to PS4 launch games. Hahahahaha!

I didn't see a single review spotting the immense technical issues the Disaster Chief Collection had too. Forgettable first year fluff. Will probably go sequelless. Oh well.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By 04dcarraher

@GrenadeLauncher said:

For the best.

So the same number of character polygons Killzone Shadow Fall had? Xbone exclusives are still trying to catch up to PS4 launch games. Hahahahaha!

um killzone SF polygon ratio only reached that number if a single npc/character was very close to the player. KZ:SF has a very dynamic lod system that halves the polygon count based on distances and number of npcs on screen.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

@blackace said:

I'm not saying anything. I'll stay patient and wait for the right time. Greatness is coming.

InsiderX, is that you?

#fauxinsiderreturnth

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 tormentos
@slimdogmilionar said:

#

LOL I don't know where to start dissecting this BS you just posted. Let's start with the fact that you said PS4 has DMA, but in your closing arguments you go on to say that PS4 doesn't need tiling because it has fast memory. Now check this out it comes from your same vgleaks source.

You see they are labeled DMA & tile/untile. 0 and 1 strictly DMA+ tile/untile. 2 and 3 are DMA+tile/untile+decode+encode. If PS4 does not need to tile you can see why would it need the same move engines that the XB1 has, the name is changed on XB1 because the move engines naturally support DMA but they are different from your normal DMA engines by featuring compression/decompression. Now even though PS4 has DMA how will it handle compression and decompression? Since you don't understand the point of DMA on PS4, I'll give you my theory. I think the DMA engines on the PS4 are there for instances when the CPU can't keep up with GPU so some of the decode will be offloaded to the DMA engine, but unlike on xbox the transfer will still have to be started by the CPU that's a wasted cycle compared to the Xb1 where the move engines can initiate the transfer themselves. That's why there is so much buzz around the move engines on the Xbox because they don't need the CPU to initiate anything they are their own independent system.

Secondly you say that the DME's can't send data to the CPU if it's sending it to DDR3 then the CPU will have access to that data, right or wrong? Right. You are exactly right the XB1 cpu can't see any data held in esram but it can see everything that's in DDR3. Not all textures need fast bandwidth so if you have one that doesn't you could use esram bandwidth to produce it fast but then have the move engines pass it off to DDR3 while both the CPU and GPU are still working at their peak.

Again from your own vgleaks source:

The advantage of the move engines lies in the fact that they can operate in parallel with computation. During times when the GPU is compute bound, move engine operations are effectively free. Even while the GPU is bandwidth bound, move engine operations may still be free if they use different pathways. For example, a move engine copy from RAM to RAM would not be impacted by a shader that only accesses ESRAM.

One move engine out of the four supports generic lossless encoding and one move engine supports generic lossless decoding. These operations act as extensions on top of the standard DMA modes.

The same move engine that supports LZ decoding also supports JPEG decoding. Just as with LZ, JPEG decoding operates as an extension on top of the standard DMA modes

Now you notice the bold part where it says acts as extensions on top of the normal DMA modes, in case you don't fully understand it means that they are not like the normal DMA found in GCN and the PS4.

You spin your arguments so much to make yourself seem right. So if the PS4 does not need tiling what was your whole rant about PRT, without PRT the PS4 would definitely need more than 4.5gb of ram. And again you are right on the xbox they are a patch to help the XB keep up with the fast ram of the PS4, but it was not a last minute thing. MS built the console based on the fact that it would take full advantage of tiling while not tasking the CPU with the job. Now take into consideration that developers are talking about ways to make their render targets smaller. PS4 used brute force but still everything that comes and goes to the DMA engines have to be initiated by the CPU. not only is the XB1 slightly faster than the PS4's it also has less latency because of DDR3. Are you seeing the difference now?

So do you wanna rethink your argument that DMA and DME are the same thing because unless you can show me a diagram of the PS4 having DMA engines that work the same way as the Xbox you should just admit that you are wrong. The source you posted did nothing but help you to prove my point. So much for the nail in the coffin eh.

Go ahead try and spin it.

STFU you claim DME and DMA were not the same..

@slimdogmilionar said:

I have yet to see a ps4 diagram with DME"s I see DMA but no DME's. And they are not the same still, PS4 DMA only support decompression and not both decompression and compression like the XB1

This is what you claim.

basically as data is being pulled by the move engines from the CPU

And this to which is false,Move engines don't pull data from CPU.

This is ^^ what you claim and you even highly both name as if the name alone proved they were something different when PRT and Tile resources are the same shit and name differently.

the name is changed on XB1 because the move engines naturally support DMA but they are different from your normal DMA engines by featuring compression/decompression.

Move engines doesn't support DMA you freaking morons move engines are DMA and the picture you just posted fu**ing own your self..ahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa

You see it say Move engine 0 move engine 1 those 2 lack any kind of compression hardware yet are call move engine in fact they are the first 2,that is because move engines are DMA Idiot.

The rest of your post is idiot crap and total bullshit from something you don't understand is so funny seeing you say they are different and trying to refuse that are not the same with different names,but then seeing try to say the name was change because they are different.. Hahaha..

You are an idiot tilling is something you have to do if you run into problems with memory on ESRAM or EDRAM,in fact on xbox 360 tilling was need it if you wanted 4xAA because the 10MB of Edram was to small for free 4XAA like MS promise,basically both the xbox and xbox 360 suffer from the same shit because of having a small pool of fast memory.

You are a moron the PS4 doesn't need DMA t work in the same way as the xbox one,because the PS4 doesn't use gimped DDR3 with a pathc of 32 MB of fast ram,DMA is what move data between those memories the xbox one need it to speed up date transfer between both,the PS4 has 1 gigantic pool of fast ram...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 deactivated-5a30e101a977c

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@FastRobby said:

I didn't see a single review spotting the immense technical issues the Disaster Chief Collection had too. Forgettable first year fluff. Will probably go sequelless. Oh well.

Killzone never had the same amount of enemies on screen.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 StormyJoe

Still haven't seen anyone provide evidence that the PS4 can do parallel processing. Parallel processing is not a hardware thing necessarily - it's an OS and SDK thing.

Sony_SWAG-Nuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Sony_SWAG-Nuff
Member since 2015 • 45 Posts

LoL truth hurts i guess Dead Risin 3 droppin FPS ta 16 already screwed up yo' mind lemmings

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@sony_swag-nuff said:

LoL truth hurts i guess Dead Risin 3 droppin FPS ta 16 already screwed up yo' mind lemmings

Goodbye

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 tormentos

@slimdogmilionar said:

@04dcarraher: That's a given but this is more about Tormentos always trying to prove or disprove things. Anytime you say something good about xbox he takes to the heart as if you are saying something bad about the PS4. Esram is small but hopefully developers can find ways to make the targets that do fit in there smaller, I just read an article not to long about a developer talking about the difference between PS4 and Xbox. Regarding esram he hinted at finding ways to make targets smaller. It's more work for developers but that's Microsoft's own fault. I'll try to find the article so I can post it here.

You are wrong and that screen you just posted freaking owned you DMA and DME are the same the PS4 also has hardware for compression and decompression moron,it has been knows since the PS4 was anounce back on february 2013.

Please the only thing you have do on this board is talk crap and own your self were ever possible,like just now which you claim DME pull data from the CPU...lol

DMDE=MDA just like Tile Resources = PRT.

@StormyJoe said:

Still haven't seen anyone provide evidence that the PS4 can do parallel processing. Parallel processing is not a hardware thing necessarily - it's an OS and SDK thing.

Cerny is convinced that in the coming years, developers will want to use the GPU for more than pushing graphics -- and believes he has determined a flexible and powerful solution to giving that to them. "The vision is using the GPU for graphics and compute simultaneously," he said. "Our belief is that by the middle of the PlayStation 4 console lifetime, asynchronous compute is a very large and important part of games technology."

This innovation allows compute to use the GPU L2 cache and perform the required operations without significantly impacting the graphics operations going on at the same time

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/191007/inside_the_playstation_4_with_mark_.php?print=1

For got sake man stop i have shown you and other a ton of times than the PS4 can do both compute and graphics at the same time in fact this article is from like April or may 2013 the PS4 wasn't even out and every body knew this.

Stop playing the blind chicken this is something i have debate with you and not a software,for the 100 time anything MS can do on that hardware software wise Sony can do it.

reggy72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By reggy72
Member since 2008 • 145 Posts

@Scipio8 said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@Scipio8 said:

Cows are really going mad, any bit of good news for the Xbox sends them crazy. I feel sorry, it must hurt to watch the Xbox get better and better while the PS4 sits idle turning out flops after flops.

Sony don't have to keep hopes afloat by leaking SDKs to make it look like the Xbone is worth a damn.

Wasn't ntkrnl around this time last year as well? Maybe you'll have the honour of making the topic about it if he returns, Insipid8.

At least Xbox got something worth a damn to leak. The only thing leaking out of Sony is your personal data LOL

I know its only January 7th, but this must go into the bag for post of the year surely?

supergokublitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 supergokublitz
Member since 2005 • 651 Posts

@scipio8 said:

Pmsl awesome post. BOOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 deactivated-5a30e101a977c

@reggy72 said:

@Scipio8 said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@Scipio8 said:

Cows are really going mad, any bit of good news for the Xbox sends them crazy. I feel sorry, it must hurt to watch the Xbox get better and better while the PS4 sits idle turning out flops after flops.

Sony don't have to keep hopes afloat by leaking SDKs to make it look like the Xbone is worth a damn.

Wasn't ntkrnl around this time last year as well? Maybe you'll have the honour of making the topic about it if he returns, Insipid8.

I know its only January 7th, but this must go into the bag for post of the year surely?

Totally missed it, great comeback

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

@ronvalencia: ah i see. thanks for that. i didnt realise the compute shader has a catch.

grand for eye candy physics, not so good for gameplay physics n such like.