Why MGS4 is the best game in the history of mankind. (56k beware)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

alextherussian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 alextherussian
Member since 2009 • 2642 Posts

[QUOTE="PannicAtack"]I'm still waiting for the justifications the following statements: Adults should not be allowed to play Super Mario Galaxy. Pixar's movie "Up" has no relevance, whereas God of War does. Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust is a great, original game. Chess doesn't take skill to play. The only genre of music in Wagner's time was Classical.Aku101

Didn't I justfiy those claims on the threads I brought them up in?

Up has no relevance to adults because it's targeted at kids, it has as much relevacne to adutls as teletubbies

God of War has violence, sex, revenge etc which is present in adult life

LSL: BOB is great and original because of the new gameplay mechanics in the game

Chess doesn't take skill to play because it's all a waiting game and trying to fool your opponent that doesn't take skill but guile. There's a difference.

Look at Classical music everything during wagners time and before we now consider today as classical so therefore all music in his period is classical. If A = B then B = A logically.

But this is going off-topic.

hahahah, it would be pointless to argue with you as it cannot be won. Not because you are right but because you create your own little world to live in that has no room for an actual rational discussion. As such, why are you here? You are basically the harlequin of system wars, you provide other people with entertainment due to your nature, but for the most part its at your own cost.....what do you get out of this? what could you get out of this....
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#102 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
MGS4 is probably my favourite game this generation. Best game of all time though :lol:
beekayjay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#103 beekayjay
Member since 2008 • 1732 Posts
Look at Aku's sig........we're not dealing with an unbiased, balanced person here. Everyone should just ignore him.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#104 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

Lol, no, no, no.

That game goes to things like:

Super Mario Bros games

Deus Ex

Half-Life

Half-Life 2

Final Fantasy VI/III

Final Fantasy VII/VIII/IX

MGS1

MGS3

MickeyTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 MickeyTheNinja
Member since 2007 • 3824 Posts
I used to play (try to play) MGS on the PS1 and it was great...until I heard Snake's voice. His voice is so annoying and bad I hate it.
beekayjay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#106 beekayjay
Member since 2008 • 1732 Posts
I used to play (try to play) MGS on the PS1 and it was great...until I heard Snake's voice. His voice is so annoying and bad I hate it.MickeyTheNinja
Yeah, the voice acting was cheesy, yet tell that to these zealots: they think David Hayter is the Meryl Streep of voice acting. 9 year olds, go figure.
ChrisJ2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 ChrisJ2004
Member since 2003 • 2818 Posts

Aren't you the guy that thinks Chess takes no skill becasue it's turn based and you only win when you opponent makes a mistake? Yeah. You are. You're also in many a poster signature with hilarious quotes which I can't remember at the moment .. luckily for you :D

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 ___gamemaster__  Online
Member since 2009 • 3349 Posts

MGS4 so far is my best game this gen. sorry U2.

Drakes_Fortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Drakes_Fortune
Member since 2009 • 5259 Posts
MGS4 was one of the few games i loved this gen. But it could be way better. Its far from perfect. But its very unique and great exprience. MGS never disapoints me, been playing since the first. But no doubt the best was the first. Said that, MGS 4 is far from being the best game ever IMO.
sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#110 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

And this is the best game in the history of mankind:

Silent-Hal

Family Guy does the ball in cup routine to death. And yet, I'm still laughing :D

Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

heres a few wrong things here: Firstly its hardly a game, more like a movie with game elements.

Secondly, graphics, yes there awesome but in no ways the better then any 360 title out there.

Thirdly: Most of the things you have listed are the same things Halo 3 has so why do people deny this?

overall it is definatly one of the better franchise out there

Wii_Gamer_277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Wii_Gamer_277
Member since 2009 • 1795 Posts
MGS is a heart warming tale :lol: ???
Scoob64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#113 Scoob64
Member since 2008 • 2635 Posts

An international phenomenon

It is well known that the MGS serieis is the best series in the history of gaming and MGS4 lives up to that tradition. MGS4 follows the heart-warming story of solid snake. Through death, betrayal, secrecy, snake has seen it all and MGS4 is the epitome of gaming as we know it. The series is paid tribute to by many other games, movies, tv shows and animated series. The series is so well-known that countless people imitate chracters from the series and are well proud of it. It just attests to the fact on how amazing MGS is as evident by all the homages paid to it.

The day the bomb dropped: June 12, 2008 AKA D-Day for the 360.

When mgs4 came out it immediately received praise and glamorous reviews from every gaming journalist. On a certain website known as Gamespot.com. MGS4 scored the impossible and caused an immediate holocaust that would result in much fallout and damage control for months and years to come. To this day lemmings fear the greatness knwon as MGS4 and will attempt to diminish it's awesomeness with damage control and denial but that doesn't change the fact that the PS3 has the only AAAAE this gen.

This was the day that the tide turned. It marked the beginning of the end for the 360. The first AAAAE of this gen exclusive to the PS3. But MGS4 deserved it more than any other game could have. MGS gave birth to the stealth genre and MGS4 perfected it. It set a new standard, not just for stealth but for the entire gaming industry. No game has achieved a level of polish and perfection as MGS4. It gave players the best single player experience of ALL TIME. There is no denying this fact.

Story, the best story that can ever be achieved in any game has happened.

The story of MGS4 was one of its strongest points. it was told in a perfect manner that could be easily understood and connected the plot of all past games together. The story was clockwork, from otacon and meryl to liquid and snake the game goes all out without limitations and immediately draws you into it's compelling plot and characters. No game could have had a better ending than MGS4 from the hallway scene to naomi and vamp to the final scene at the graveyard. It was all perfect and pulls the strings of our fragile human emotions. We feel compassion and sympathy for all the characters.MGS4 is the best literary work in the history of mankind, simply a masterpiece and you can quote me on that.

And who could forget Meryl and Akiba wedding scene it was very romantic.

The gameplay, gaming at its finest.

MGS4 pioneers new gameplay emchanics never seen before. You can fully itneract with the environemnt and many factors affect your ability in combat as well as stealth. The many options you can do in CQC is amazing in variety.The stealth is pefect and the AI couldn't be done any better. The game is so incredibly realistic that MGS4 is the closest thing you can get into experience real-life stealth missions.

Graphics, better than anything the 360 can offer.

MGS4 doesn't just play amazing and has a great story, it also looks AMAZING. In the 2008 Gamespot Awards. MGS4 not only won GOTY, but also won best technical graphics for 2008. Beating contestants such as Crysis: Warhead, an amazing feat. Unfortunately, Gears of War 2 (360's best looking game) was not even nominated for the award. But don't take Gamespot's word for it, MGS4 also won best graphics at Spikes VGA, beating yet again Crysis: Warhead and this time Gears of War 2 easily.

Snake is the most polarizing character in history, if perfection were to take human form, Snake would be it.

With such determination and conviction that no other character in gaming, cinema or literature possess, Solid Snake is certainly the most amazing character the world has ever seen. Salute to you Solid Snake you have earned it.

Aku101

You want to talk international phenomenom?

But judging from your past posts, you probably wouldn't play anything that didn't come out on PS3 so....

Longcat2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#114 Longcat2
Member since 2008 • 924 Posts

The day the bomb dropped: June 12, 2008 AKA D-Day for the 360.

When mgs4 came out it immediately received praise and glamorous reviews from every gaming journalist. On a certain website known as Gamespot.com. MGS4 scored the impossible and caused an immediate holocaust that would result in much fallout and damage control for months and years to come. To this day lemmings fear the greatness knwon as MGS4 and will attempt to diminish it's awesomeness with damage control and denial but that doesn't change the fact that the PS3 has the only AAAAE this gen.Aku101

I love how seriously you take system wars....

Zerocrossings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#115 Zerocrossings
Member since 2006 • 7988 Posts

Haha that was entertaining. Good read. :lol:

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

I just beat the game's first boss. Quite frankly, the plot is pretentious and absurd. ... so far.

beekayjay

I've played the entire game and I can assure you, the plot is THOROUGHLY pretentious and absurd. Good game, but incredibly over-rated. its solid 9 out of ten, thats it.

At least it's fun, the scenes are fun to watch, and the boss designs are actually creative and cool. I'll enjoy it, but yeah, not a 10 out of 10 so far.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

Meh, the story and characters were ridiculous, Akiba/Meyrl scene was laughable in a bad way, and gameplay was boring. MGS1, 2 (yes, 2), and 3 were better.

BioShockOwnz

whats wrong with mgs 2? oooohhh you're one of those eh? jack teh ripperz pwns joos ALLZ!!

DC_Sparta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 DC_Sparta
Member since 2009 • 99 Posts

Amazing graphics, realism blah blah blah etc. Disgustingly boring gameplay = nobody likes it = fail.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts
Lol, what a stupid thread. The game isn't even close to being the best in history. Crysis/Deus Ex has better stealth/action gameplay, Crysis/Stalker has better graphics, Planescape Torment and many other games have better storylines.
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18825 Posts

Meh, the story and characters were ridiculous, Akiba/Meyrl scene was laughable in a bad way, and gameplay was boring. MGS1, 2 (yes, 2), and 3 were better.

BioShockOwnz
MGS4 didnt have nearly enough MEANIFUL(SP) gameplay content to qualify. and i agree, MGS1, 2 and 3 are way better on a gameplay standpoint. However, MGO is actually my fav game this gen.
ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 ice144
Member since 2005 • 3350 Posts
[QUOTE="MickeyTheNinja"]I used to play (try to play) MGS on the PS1 and it was great...until I heard Snake's voice. His voice is so annoying and bad I hate it.beekayjay
Yeah, the voice acting was cheesy, yet tell that to these zealots: they think David Hayter is the Meryl Streep of voice acting. 9 year olds, go figure.

You say that as if your mature yourself. I highly doubt anyone calling someone a 9 year old is any older than 14.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#122 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

[QUOTE="PannicAtack"]I'm still waiting for the justifications the following statements: Adults should not be allowed to play Super Mario Galaxy. Pixar's movie "Up" has no relevance, whereas God of War does. Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust is a great, original game. Chess doesn't take skill to play. The only genre of music in Wagner's time was Classical.Aku101

Up has no relevance to adults because it's targeted at kids, it has as much relevacne to adutls as teletubbies

LSL: BOB is great and original because of the new gameplay mechanics in the game

Chess doesn't take skill to play because it's all a waiting game and trying to fool your opponent that doesn't take skill but guile. There's a difference.

Look at Classical music everything during wagners time and before we now consider today as classical so therefore all music in his period is classical. If A = B then B = A logically.

MGS4 isn't the best VIDEO game of all time, let alone the best game of all time. I won't both with your other outlandish claims since they are off topic. I hope you get a laughs out of saying all these things and watching the fallout.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts

[QUOTE="Aku101"]

[QUOTE="PannicAtack"]I'm still waiting for the justifications the following statements: Adults should not be allowed to play Super Mario Galaxy. Pixar's movie "Up" has no relevance, whereas God of War does. Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust is a great, original game. Chess doesn't take skill to play. The only genre of music in Wagner's time was Classical.jimkabrhel

MGS4 isn't the best VIDEO game of all time, let alone the best game of all time. I won't both with your other outlandish claims since they are off topic. I hope you get a laughs out of saying all these things and watching the fallout.

Wait, did he just say Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust has great and original gameplay mechanics? :lol:

I bet he hasn't even played the original games... Which were much more adult than the new terrible LSL games. He probably wasn't old enough to play them. :P

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#124 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

Predictably, Aku101 fails yet again.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#125 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

it is one of the best games ever, but i like playing NG (8-9.4) series more.

Eggimannd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Eggimannd
Member since 2009 • 1734 Posts

[QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

Am I the only that finds MGS4 to be the weakest in the series? MGS 2,3 and 1 were so much better when it came to story and characters.

Aku101

They were good but not as good as MGS4. In mgs1 the faces were just a giant pixel.

That's because you were way too young and didn't play the game when it came out so you couldn't appreciate the graphics at the time.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#127 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

Ahhhh Aku101,you fail me yet again...

Darth Vader always speaks the truth...

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#128 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

I highly disagree, I'd elaborate but more than likely my post would end up longer than the TC's.

This struck me as quite funny though:

"The stealth is pefect and the AI couldn't be done any better."

If AI can't be done any better, than we are in trouble:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fAE7F1aDp0

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#129 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
Just about the only thing that MGS4 did properly is the best possible blend of movie and gaming. This is the first game that have successfully make the gamers feel like they're playing through a movie, and not just any movie, an Oscar worthy performance. That's about it, that's the only thing that made MGS4 so revolutionary. Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2 follows suit, with Heavy Rain and Alan Wake not far behind.
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

I highly disagree, I'd elaborate but more than likely my post would end up longer than the TC's.

Rekunta

Hey now, it can be hard to navigate around...boxes...

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#131 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

BioShockOwnz
I agree somewhat, Bio. I still enjoyed 4 more than 2. But 3 is my favorite. The melodrama was the worst thing ever in 4. It was cringe worthy at times. Unwritten rule to interactive story telling: don't end an act with a cut scene that is 45min+, then begin the next act with a 30 min mission briefing. Yes they are skippable, but in a story driven series like MGS, it makes no sense to do so.
Revolution316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Revolution316
Member since 2009 • 2877 Posts

i agree with everything but the story you talk of. the story is NOT easy to get into. iits very complex and you would have to have played the prequels to understand what is going on. the best story of the series is MGS3. MGS3 is the begining to the entire series (going by timeline) and its just beutifully made.

Avatar image for TIE_Elite_Pilot
TIE_Elite_Pilot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#133 TIE_Elite_Pilot
Member since 2004 • 829 Posts

hate to break it to you TC, but MGS wasn't the first game to inspire people to dress up as it's characters . . .

Revolution316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Revolution316

Rekunta

thats what i like to call glitches. you cant find wrong doings in MGS4 AIs unless youpurposely try to abuse the system. and MGS games are games that if you play on harder difficulties = the more realistic the AI becomes.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Rekunta

[QUOTE="Rekunta"]

Revolution316

thats what i like to call glitches. you cant find wrong doings in MGS4 AIs unless youpurposely try to abuse the system. and MGS games are games that if you play on harder difficulties = the more realistic the AI becomes.

No, a glitch is walking through walls, the game freezing, or something similar. The player shouldn't be able to abuse the system if it's competent, and I doubt a change in difficulty would've brought a different outcome.

Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 190

#136 Dead-Memories
Member since 2008 • 6587 Posts

Uno on xbox live is better; fewer cutscenes.

topgunmv
Summarizes my thoughts.
XxSTILL_BORNxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 XxSTILL_BORNxX
Member since 2007 • 5749 Posts
All i know as a big hardcore fan, i enjoyed it alot and still is blown away by it to this day. I still play it from time to time and the word "Epic" is not enough for this game nor the series as a whole. I don't care what any of you think :P but, to me, its my fav/ game and series of all time. Such an awesome, beautiful wrap up.
leadernator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 leadernator
Member since 2003 • 9064 Posts

BioShockOwnz

I don't think anyone would agree with this one :|

That's all you man. All you.

Revolution316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Revolution316

[QUOTE="Revolution316"]

[QUOTE="Rekunta"]

Rekunta

No, a glitch is walking through walls, the game freezing, or something similar. The player shouldn't be able to abuse the system if it's competent, and I doubt a change in difficulty would've brought a different outcome.

a different outcome in that vid maybe not. but snake is in freakin stealth mode. hes invisible. thats not how the game is normaly played. so no, showing rare occasions of stupid AI and acting like it happens everytime doesnt make your statement true. and no a glitch is something that shouldnt of happend and thats what the vid is

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts
[QUOTE="Silent-Hal"]

And this is the best game in the history of mankind:

you, good sir, have broken the internet with your awesomeness.
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 clone01
[QUOTE="Aku101"]

[QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

Am I the only that finds MGS4 to be the weakest in the series? MGS 2,3 and 1 were so much better when it came to story and characters.

They were good but not as good as MGS4. In mgs1 the faces were just a giant pixel.

so are graphics the most important thing to you? if that's the case, i suggest you try PC gaming.
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

leadernator

I don't think anyone would agree with this one :|

That's all you man. All you.

I normally do not agree withBioShockOwnz but he is kind of right. Except for the gameplay part I felt it was a improvement for the MGS series but the story in MGS4 was weak compared to MGS 1-3

67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#143 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts
And Mad Cow Disease claims yet another victim...
Avatar image for deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#144 deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
Member since 2005 • 4624 Posts

Freezetag>>>>>MGS4

Hide-N-Seek>>>>>MGS4

And as previously stated, Cup-N-Ball>>>>>MGS4

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 clone01
[QUOTE="bez2083"]

Freezetag>>>>>MGS4

Hide-N-Seek>>>>>MGS4

And as previously stated, Cup-N-Ball>>>>>MGS4

truth is, cup and ball is greater than any language, music, art, or any creative endeavor.............ever.........end thread.
Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Rekunta

[QUOTE="Rekunta"]

[QUOTE="Revolution316"]thats what i like to call glitches. you cant find wrong doings in MGS4 AIs unless youpurposely try to abuse the system. and MGS games are games that if you play on harder difficulties = the more realistic the AI becomes.

Revolution316

a different outcome in that vid maybe not. but snake is in freakin stealth mode. hes invisible. thats not how the game is normaly played. so no, showing rare occasions of stupid AI and acting like it happens everytime doesnt make your statement true. and no a glitch is something that shouldnt of happend and thats what the vid is

Not how the game is normally played doesn't fly. If it's possible to do, the game should be able to react accordingly. That's what good AI does. Stealth camo's an item, to say it's not part of how the game should "normally" be played and hence not the game's fault is ridiculous. I've seen other bad AI besides this video....gaurds forgetting that you are there after being alerted, not reacting when their buddy is shot or KO'd right next to them, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the AI is the worst ever seen in a game, but it's far from the best. That's all I'll say.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#147 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Wow I really don't know where to begin...there are so many reasons why MGS4 was hardly the best story or game of this generation.

I'll keep it short and just say the picture of snake sneaking up behind the guard under a barrel in your example is why I have always had a problem with all the Metal Gear games. Seriously sneaking around under a barrel, or under a box may work for the Looney Toons but I don't seem to remember that training when I was in the military. Matter of fact I can guarantee that it would have got me shot. I doubt any of the Special Forces in the US or any other country would have tried that method either. :roll: Yes I know it is just a game.

I think the thing that drove me nuts the most about MGS4 is that you could come around the corner face to face with a guard and he would not notice you, but another guard could spot you behind a wall in another room. MGS4 was a good game, just no where near the outstanding masterpiece that people make it out to be. I really don't understand how it received a 10. Game of the Year yes, although it would not have been my choice, but not a perfect 10.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#148 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
[QUOTE="clone01"][QUOTE="Aku101"]

[QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

so are graphics the most important thing to you? if that's the case, i suggest you try PC gaming.

I'm not sure Sony will cut him a check for that.
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

[QUOTE="clone01"][QUOTE="Aku101"]

cainetao11

Maybe if he buys a vaio.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#150 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

[QUOTE="cainetao11"][QUOTE="clone01"] so are graphics the most important thing to you? if that's the case, i suggest you try PC gaming.topgunmv

Maybe if he buys a vaio.

I was just thinking the same thing...