Why do the majority of people prefer gaming on consoles rather than Pc?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MTVjams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 MTVjams
Member since 2009 • 301 Posts
you dont need to spend 10 million dollars to play games with good graphics when you use a console
johnny27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#202 johnny27
Member since 2006 • 4400 Posts

[QUOTE="johnny27"][QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

Consoles are easier to set up for me. Also you can't play Nintendo games on the PC legally.

washd123

:lol: like that will stop anyone :|

actually it is legal if you own the game

hey then i haven't been breaking the law! is it wrong to want to play ocarania of time and super mario 64 at 1920x1200 with 8xAA and 16xAF as opposed to no AA or AF at 320x240? i don't even have a sdtv any more so playing with the n64 looks very ugly.

Hanass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#204 Hanass
Member since 2008 • 2204 Posts

you dont need to spend 10 million dollars to play games with good graphics when you use a consoleMTVjams

Really? Each game being 10-40 dollars more expensive, and having to pay for online, I highly doubt that.

Hanass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 Hanass

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="789shadow"]

Then I guess it's a case of your anecdotal evidence vs. my anecdotal evidence.

789shadow

Yet, nobody seems to believe you... or agrees.

Well, I don't believe any of your stories. So we're equal.

You just contradicted yourself. You just said that my evidence was equal to anyone else's. You're pretty much alone on your side against a lot of people. So if everyone's opinion had the same value, that automatically means that the side that has more people wins. So we're not equal.

italygamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 italygamer
Member since 2009 • 668 Posts
you dont need to spend 10 million dollars to play games with good graphics when you use a consoleMTVjams
in the long term you'll have saved up money with a Pc, considering all that it can offer.
italygamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 italygamer

[QUOTE="washd123"]

[QUOTE="johnny27"] :lol: like that will stop anyone :|johnny27

actually it is legal if you own the game

hey then i haven't been breaking the law! is it wrong to want to play ocarania of time and super mario 64 at 1920x1200 with 8xAA and 16xAF as opposed to no AA or AF at 320x240? i don't even have a sdtv any more so playing with the n64 looks very ugly.

so you wanna play super mario 64 at 1900x1200? you'd wanna rethink that
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#208 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

Ease of use.

Less upgrades.

Rentals.

Japanese games.

Bigboi500

psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

Cost of PC gaming = 10 million dollars. Noted.

CoolSkAGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 CoolSkAGuy
Member since 2006 • 9665 Posts
*** flame shield**** This is all my opinion and well if you don't like it too bad because im not gonna reply. Because PC is only good for online games, Maintaining a game machine can more expensive to the inexperience consumer. Its more difficult for someone to ask a friend to come over to play a multiplayer game. If your PC gets a virus your probably done until you fix your computer. Playing on a TV is better, I know monitors have grown but it can't beat a 40''+ tv. Keyboard and mouse is only a better control if you want it to be, its an opinion not a fact.. Games require install before you can even play it which takes up hdd space, and if you uninstall your game and wish to play it couple months later you have to reinstall, possibly having to re download updates(but consoles have started doing this too so w/e) You must pretty much sit upright in a chair and cant lay back in a couch and bed while playing Inexperience users may not know about Team speak or Ventrillo(sp?) which may lead them not to get true gaming experience( I know I did until a couple of months) You need to Boot your computer up when ever you need to play a game, you cant just stick a disk in and play Pc games usually have more of a tendency to crash If you don't Update to the latest software/hardware game quality will mostly likely tend to degrade in graphics. PC games are easier to hack into so you will find more cheaters online, and Games sometime add spy ware into your pc. Again this is my opinion, I don't find the pc to be bad at gaming. These are just fault I did not like with my experience since I first started gaming on pc. Console have their flaws as well but did not state them because these are issues gamers barely entering the world of PC gaming will encounter. And also im 18 and jobless and its easier for me to buy a cheap console that will last me 5-8 years and only cost me 300-400 bucks with customer support for the whole system.I will not reply to this message thx.
hihatrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 hihatrider
Member since 2006 • 299 Posts

surely someone in 9 pages has said marketing right?

• can't really say ease of use because its not hard.
  • you can play the most pop games like the sims and WoW on relatively low-end systems.
  • everybody needs one anyway, just spend an extra $100ish and you got a good enough system.

no one markets for pc gaming in and of itself the way the big 3 do for their respective systems.

HermitQ6600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 HermitQ6600
Member since 2009 • 241 Posts

It's easier to get into and easier to leave

linkthewindow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#213 linkthewindow
Member since 2005 • 5654 Posts
PC gaming's not for everyone -
  • It takes a bit of technical knowledge to PC games. Most of it can be learned by the University of Google, but if you don't have the time, am bad with technology, or CBA-ed, it's a con Many don't like building a PC, and prebuilts are expensive and unreliable if you get it from the wrong vendor (Alienware, anyone?)
  • Marketing - most games are advertised purely for consoles. Has anyone seen an ad for Company of Heroes, World in Conflict or Arma2?
  • Simplicity - the "pop the disk in and play" factor. A lot of games don't ship in a completed state (Stalker being a prime example.) To play a game like Stalker at it's best, you need mods. Sucks, I know, blame the devs for releasing an unfinished game after 6-8 years of dev time.
  • A lot of PC games aren't for "mainstream" gamers - flight sims, milsims, and many RTSes aren't "pick up and play," they require a ton of effort to learn (I've thrown close to a hundred hours into EU3 and still don't get half of what's gong on :| .)

[QUOTE="sakura_Ex"]

What's up with PC gamers trying to convert console gamers into PC gamers here lately?

Espada12

I don't see any of that going on in this thread.. only baseless statements.

This. I think the OP is being sarcastic.
chaos20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 chaos20
Member since 2004 • 42 Posts

I think the reason pc gamers are starting to get annoyed is the lack of choice for the platform these days. i went into 2 game shops lately, one of them has reduced the shelf space to a couple of shelves while the other had none as far as i could see.

consoles get console exclusive games like halo 3, gears 2, darksiders while we either get nothing or crappy ports (ninja blade, saints row 2, star wars TFU anyone?)

apparently the developers say this is because of piracy, but since i got my first pc in '94 ive probably got 220-250 games (i dont do trade-ins)after nearly 16 years! But u can get a chippded x-box 360 with 125+ games within a week? (http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6239355.html?sid=6239355)

even the most downloaded demos on gamespot lately are from 2001,2006 and 2007, how can we test them before we buy them with no demos? the system requirements on the back of games doesnt mean alot

Devs get your arse in gear, give us decent games and youll have our support

Avatar image for Ravenlore_basic
Ravenlore_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#215 Ravenlore_basic
Member since 2003 • 4319 Posts

wow... for me the bad experience with PC games back in the day when you had to make sure everything was compatable, and too many bugs and patches. The horrers still live with me. But Im guessing

Too many upgrades over the years, and so much coming out in regards to SSD, CPU - duel, quad, intel, AMD... Video cards.- there too many.

controler vs Keybord& mouse... like consoles why not have all games have the option???

closeness. not many people want to go though the trouble of connecting their PC to the HDTV others do not have an HDTV.

Cost, need to replace an mid level Computer more often than an Console.

Just the thought of it. Consoles are just easier at every level, conect and play. PCs just seem more to deal with which people do not want to deal with.

DigiTM73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 DigiTM73
Member since 2009 • 801 Posts

Right now I'm thinking of converting from PC to 360. Just bought a couple of games on PC and can't run them. Constantly coming up with Visual C++ runtime errors on startup. Getting a bit over the fact that after 5 or so months I have to do a fresh reinstall of Windows, backup savegames, reinstall 60+ games. All due to PC starting to slow down, registry getting clogged etc. I know 360 you never have to worry about losing savegames.
I'm just starting to clean my PC, and it's taking ages to go through different directories to find all my savegames. Last time I did it, I found out one game saves your games in a special directory. Lost 10x hours of gameplay.

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 Bebi_vegeta
Member since 2003 • 13558 Posts

Right now I'm thinking of converting from PC to 360. Just bought a couple of games on PC and can't run them. Constantly coming up with Visual C++ runtime errors on startup. Getting a bit over the fact that after 5 or so months I have to do a fresh reinstall of Windows, backup savegames, reinstall 60+ games. All due to PC starting to slow down, registry getting clogged etc. I know 360 you never have to worry about losing savegames.
I'm just starting to clean my PC, and it's taking ages to go through different directories to find all my savegames. Last time I did it, I found out one game saves your games in a special directory. Lost 10x hours of gameplay.

DigiTM73

It's the same thing when you clean your house... the more you clean it, less time you need to spend on cleaning it on X day.

Innocentguy757

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 Innocentguy757
Member since 2004 • 5410 Posts

no its not. no you dont, and no. and eventually youll have to buy a new console. so reason number 1 dies

2. again no. hows is 'lugging' a pc any different than lugging a console? theyre not much bigger. theres no more wires. theres nothing different. so reason number 2 dies.

3. o really and just how many console games allow that these days? reason number 3 dead

4. use a controller you said it yourself, and if youre getting owned unless its like counterstike or UT2k4 or quake 3 you just suck. reason number 4 dead.

thanks for playing try again

washd123

unfortunately for you my points were right. 1. 400 for a console is a lot less than 1000-2000 for a gaming console, even if you buy two-three different generations of consoles. 2. PCs are normally MUCH bigger. 3. Are you serious? I live in college, and all people do is play split screen and system link, especially on the newer games (Halo 3, MW2). FAIL. 4. Controller isn't as good as a mouse, and since everyone uses a mouse PC gaming, you are dealing with a handicap. FAIL

akbar13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#219 akbar13
Member since 2009 • 2186 Posts

You can play on the console in you living room... And I know you can hook up a PC to a TV but who wants to carry around a big desktop? Who has a PC in their living room?

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#220 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

Part of it is the ames. The vast majority of the games I want to play don't come out onthe PC. And those games tend to be better played with a controller and a KB+M.

And there's the simplicity of consoles. I can plug a console into the TV and know that I can play any game that came out for that system. I don't know enough about PC specs to know if I can run a given game, or if I'll need to upgrade.

And for the number of games I actually buy new, the extra price on console games really doesn't bother me at all.

Hanass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 Hanass

[QUOTE="washd123"] no its not. no you dont, and no. and eventually youll have to buy a new console. so reason number 1 dies

2. again no. hows is 'lugging' a pc any different than lugging a console? theyre not much bigger. theres no more wires. theres nothing different. so reason number 2 dies.

3. o really and just how many console games allow that these days? reason number 3 dead

4. use a controller you said it yourself, and if youre getting owned unless its like counterstike or UT2k4 or quake 3 you just suck. reason number 4 dead.

Innocentguy757

unfortunately for you my points were right. 1. 400 for a console is a lot less than 1000-2000 for a gaming console, even if you buy two-three different generations of consoles. 2. PCs are normally MUCH bigger. 3. Are you serious? I live in college, and all people do is play split screen and system link, especially on the newer games (Halo 3, MW2). FAIL. 4. Controller isn't as good as a mouse, and since everyone uses a mouse PC gaming, you are dealing with a handicap. FAIL

Number 4 doesn't make any sense. If you think that mouse is better than controller, then why use the controller?

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6611 Posts

Im guessing since most people dont know jack squat aobut PC, since PC games have specs and it's just buy a game and put it in the console, no problems.

InfiniteBlak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 InfiniteBlak
Member since 2009 • 794 Posts
just simply prefer a console.
Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 Bebi_vegeta

You can play on the console in you living room... And I know you can hook up a PC to a TV but who wants to carry around a big desktop? Who has a PC in their living room?

akbar13

How is it any different then having 1, 2 or 3 consoles in your living room... it's a peice of equipement just like anything else.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#225 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

apparently free online, cheaper games, mods, better performance and graphics are not decisive factors in choosing Pc over the consoles.

I don't think it's because of the price either..cause I mean, look at how expensive console games and accessories are. so what is it? lack of games on Pc? commercial? laziness?

pitty8982

The real question here is; why has everyone accepted a blatently wrong assertion from the topic creator as fact?

PC Gaming is more popular in Europe

PC gaming is more popular in North America

More developers are working on PC titles than console titles

The PC gaming userbase was estimated at 228 million earlier this year, larger than any console userbase, or all combined.

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 Bebi_vegeta

[QUOTE="washd123"] no its not. no you dont, and no. and eventually youll have to buy a new console. so reason number 1 dies

Innocentguy757

1. Price is debatable, PC is a expensive as you want it to be.

2. I don't see your point.

3. I agree local muliplate is good for certain times.

4. So M&K is better, but alteast you have the option to incert whatever controler you like on PC.

italygamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 italygamer

[QUOTE="pitty8982"]

apparently free online, cheaper games, mods, better performance and graphics are not decisive factors in choosing Pc over the consoles.

I don't think it's because of the price either..cause I mean, look at how expensive console games and accessories are. so what is it? lack of games on Pc? commercial? laziness?

Danm_999

The real question here is; why has everyone accepted a blatently wrong assertion from the topic creator as fact?

The PC gaming userbase was estimated at 228 million earlier this year, larger than any console userbase, or all combined.

sales speak otherwise though. just look at MW2
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 Danm_999

[QUOTE="Danm_999"]

[QUOTE="pitty8982"]

italygamer

Which sales figures?

The one of the game which PC gamers almost universally boycotted because it was the equivilant of a gross insult?

Or the retails ones which fail to take into account digital distribution figures, where the majority of PC sales are now coming from and has now trickled into the billions in revenue.

Are you really going to try and call console gaming bigger based on a single game when he have hard data on the size of the PC userbase?

Can you not see the forest from the trees?

hypoty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 hypoty
Member since 2009 • 2825 Posts

[QUOTE="Danm_999"]

[QUOTE="pitty8982"]

italygamer

Yes, because PC gamers will flock out and purchase a game after the developer consistently treated them like trash. :roll:

Either way, PC games sell steadily over large amounts of time while console games sell a huge amount at launch and then plummet. People don't seem to understand this.

italygamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 italygamer

[QUOTE="italygamer"][QUOTE="Danm_999"]

Danm_999

Which sales figures?

The one of the game which PC gamers almost universally boycotted because it was the equivilant of a gross insult?

Or the retails ones which fail to take into account digital distribution figures, where the majority of PC sales are now coming from and has now trickled into the billions in revenue.

Are you really going to try and call console gaming bigger based on a single game when he have hard data on the size of the PC userbase?

oh digital distribution..yeah i agree with you on that, but still I don't think they sell more than on the console counterpart, or they do sometimes, but on the long run..

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 Danm_999

[QUOTE="Danm_999"]

[QUOTE="italygamer"] sales speak otherwise though. just look at MW2italygamer

Which sales figures?

oh digital distribution..yeah i agree with you on that, but still I don't think they sell more than on the console counterpart, or they do sometimes, but on the long run..

Individual games may not, but we know the PC is a profoundly more popular gaming platform than any console, or all consoles combined.

Hanass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 Hanass

[QUOTE="Danm_999"]

[QUOTE="pitty8982"]

italygamer

This is what your are doing.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

[QUOTE="pitty8982"]

Danm_999

I should have posted the info instead of saying he is making up things, maybe this thread would not have reached 12 pages.

italygamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 italygamer

[QUOTE="italygamer"][QUOTE="Danm_999"]

Hanass

yeah I like that article, but I don't know how that applies to me. but if you say so..
Hanass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 Hanass

[QUOTE="Hanass"]

[QUOTE="italygamer"] sales speak otherwise though. just look at MW2italygamer

yeah I like that article, but I don't know how that applies to me. but if you say so..

Oh come on, you know exactly how it applies to you. You're passing an exception as the rule.

italygamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 italygamer

[QUOTE="italygamer"][QUOTE="Hanass"]

Hanass

Oh come on, you know exactly how it applies to you. You're passing an exception as the rule.

an exception? okay then all devs should just leave the console market and companies stop wasting their time with promoting games, cause by your reasoning it's an exception that they sell more than on the pc.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="789shadow"]

Because I already have a full-time job fixing computer issues, and I don't need another one.

Then it should be simple for you...

I'll never understand why people confuse having the knowledge/skills/abilities to do something with actually having the desire to do it. If another platform meets my gaming needs, then why should I expend the effort to perform even simple maintenance? Oh, and before someone comes in blathering about how I could be expanding my knowledge by doing so, finding out about a bug in a PC game that keeps it from working properly on my system isn't going to expand my knowledge in any useful way. I'll spend my research time on something actually related to my profession, thank you very much.
Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 Bebi_vegeta

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="789shadow"]

Because I already have a full-time job fixing computer issues, and I don't need another one.

lowe0

I'll never understand why people confuse having the knowledge/skills/abilities to do something with actually having the desire to do it. If another platform meets my gaming needs, then why should I expend the effort to perform even simple maintenance? Oh, and before someone comes in blathering about how I could be expanding my knowledge by doing so, finding out about a bug in a PC game that keeps it from working properly on my system isn't going to expand my knowledge in any useful way. I'll spend my research time on something actually related to my profession, thank you very much.

You call it an effort, I call it a hobby.

Also, I had a probleme with my MP3 the other day... how do you repair it?

gamefreakwill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#239 gamefreakwill
Member since 2006 • 449 Posts

pitty8982

Well lets take a look at what you just said:

1) Cheaper games: Your right about that one. 2) mods: Consoles get downloadable content now that replaces mods and are similar to them, also updates that fix glitches like some mods do. 3) Better Performance and Graphics: Well, you have to upgrade your system A LOT and have a fat wallet to do so.

To go with your last part, its not lack of games on PC, its probably just the fact that you have to upgrade your PC so much to get the best quality now. With a console you don't have to, and developers make games better as they find ways to work with the system. Also people may not like the mouse and keyboard controls anymore after using controllers. Just my thoughts

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 lowe0
[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

And I used to as well. Around here, there's a complete lack of appreciation for the perspective of the opposition. And while you'll occasionally see a few people call PC gamers nerds or comment on their parents' basements, you'll FAR more frequently hear about how people must choose consoles because they're computer-illiterate or ignorant. Then again, whenever I hear that I must be computer-illiterate because I'm a consolite, it's always fun to point out that their hobby is my career. You can almost hear the bubble burst. :)
Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 Bebi_vegeta

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] I'll never understand why people confuse having the knowledge/skills/abilities to do something with actually having the desire to do it. If another platform meets my gaming needs, then why should I expend the effort to perform even simple maintenance? Oh, and before someone comes in blathering about how I could be expanding my knowledge by doing so, finding out about a bug in a PC game that keeps it from working properly on my system isn't going to expand my knowledge in any useful way. I'll spend my research time on something actually related to my profession, thank you very much.lowe0

And I used to as well. Around here, there's a complete lack of appreciation for the perspective of the opposition. And while you'll occasionally see a few people call PC gamers nerds or comment on their parents' basements, you'll FAR more frequently hear about how people must choose consoles because they're computer-illiterate or ignorant. Then again, whenever I hear that I must be computer-illiterate because I'm a consolite, it's always fun to point out that their hobby is my career. You can almost hear the bubble burst. :)

Well thats true, this forum is stuck with biased opinions (or they call it facts)... and they never seem die.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 lowe0
[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

Also, I had a probleme with my MP3 the other day... how do you repair it?

No idea. I've only ever had 3 MP3 players break on me: one was a Rio PMP300 (never buy 1st-gen anything), one was an iPod that was simply used until it gave out, and one was a Samsung Instinct (a phone running software so awful that I gladly paid Sprint $400 for the privilege of telling them to **** off). In each case, I just had it repaired, or picked up a replacement. Eventually, I just settled on using my G1 as an MP3 player, which works out well. I tend towards Apple products for that reason - if it doesn't work, I chuck it at the Genius Bar and go to lunch. Often it's fixed before I leave work for the day; rarely, I have to go back for it the next day.
linkthewindow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#243 linkthewindow
Member since 2005 • 5654 Posts
2) mods: Consoles get downloadable content now that replaces mods and are similar to them, also updates that fix glitches like some mods do.gamefreakwill
Dowloadble content replaces mods :| Mods are free and add a lot more then DLC. Some major mods can completely change the base game (Project Reality and CS comes to mind.)
To go with your last part, its not lack of games on PC, its probably just the fact that you have to upgrade your PC so much to get the best quality now. gamefreakwill
Why do people assume that PC gamers upgrade their systems constantly? Hardware lasts a lot longer then people assume - Crisis will run on an ATI 9xxx series card (which is very old,) and Modern Warfare 2 can run on a Nvidia 6600 (released 2005/6, I forget which.) CPU's last a lot longer. EDIT: A 9800 (Crysis min spec,) is from 2003.
DigiTM73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 DigiTM73
Member since 2009 • 801 Posts

The comments about prefer console because of professional in IT industry is very true. I have problems with my home system at the moment (most likely software related). Am I looking forward to finishing work today after working with PC's all day, only to come home tonight to fix my PC? Or would I rather have had a console where I can lay on the couch and do some gaming? Each time I think this, I'm starting to slide to buy a 360. Only thing is I know it would be a major downgrade in graphics.

ElTriforceo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 ElTriforceo
Member since 2009 • 1130 Posts
[QUOTE="ElTriforceo"]I hate to have to worry about getting a powerful enough PC, and whether or not it meets requirements for games I want. Vandalvideo
If you buy a modern gaming PC, you don't really have to worry about this. Practically every last gaming computer on the market r ight now that is still in circulation can run every game on the market at console standards or better.

Having a console, you can just hook it up to your TV and be absolutely positive you can run any game you buy safely.

As you can with any modern gaming PC.

Also consoles are much cheaper,

Not necessarily. PCs nowadays are dramatically cheaper than they used to be. The entry level price for a console equivalent PC or slightly higher than is 100-200 dollars more than the console counterpart. That, however, is easily negated over the span of a generation thanks to cheaper games. All things considered equal, the PC can be cheaper than the console over the course of the generation. That includes used games too.

and unlike PCs they can't get viruses (at least as easily). It would suck having some $1,000 powerhouse gaming PC, only to have it ruined by a virus. And ya there's protection for that, but the last Windows computer I had, even with a top notch virus protection caught a single virus that destroyed the security and allowed hundreds more viruses to attack my PC. I switched to Mac after that, and the best I can do on that is play The Orange Box with Crossover Games.

Then you should refrain from going to malicious websites. Most of the time, viruses came from someone going to websites they really have no business going to in the first place. You have no one to blame but yourself for a virus. It isn't a gaming computer's fault, its your own.

All in all a gaming console is just a much, much more user friendly system than a PC is. No building, no worrying about requirements, none of that.

As highlighted by my posts, it isn't anywhere near as large of a gap as you're making it out to be. Yes, the console is more user friendly, but only marginally so. All things considered equal, you'd really end up splitting hairs/seconds trying to argue which one is more user friendly. Once you get into that debate, you're just being difficult/sophist.

Also I, as well as many others, much prefer to use a gamepad for gaming. Something like a Wii Remote fits fine simply because it still has A button, B button, D-Pad, analog stick, etc. that I'm familiar with, but going to PC, I don't enjoy playing with keyboard/mouse unless it's for FPS (which is of course the best control setup for the genre by far bar maybe IR and the Wii hasn't had any exceptional shooters yet), for games like platformers, action-adventure, ARPGS, and even turn-based RPGs, a good console controller just feels right to me.

Any PC game you want to can be ran using a controller through third party software like joy to key. So not only does the PC have gamepads, but it has a wider variety of controller inputs thanks to the multiple gamepad manufacturers.

I'm also sure someone is gonna kill me for this but, consoles tend to have more variety all in all. The PC can be classified as an RPG and FPS system, while the 3 consoles combined span every single genre you can think of, from cooking sims to FPSs to RPGs to racing to action-adventure to sandbox action. Sure they have those on the PC but with the exception of FPS and RPG they tend to be much less immersive, at least in my experience.

This is most assuredly wrong. The PC has tons of genres that you're not mentioning; the various strategy genres, the indie breakthrough games that aren't very present on consoles, adventure games and more. While there are genres that the PC generally lacks that the consoles have, it isn't necessarily so that the PC lacks variety, or that consoles have more variety. If anything, its about even; if not titled in the PC's favor.

OH CHRIST IT'S A BLOATED QUOTE PYRAMID AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Anyway, the fact that a gaming PC is only about the price of a console is irrelevant considering the majority of exclusives on PC sell largely off HD (after all when you're competing with Crysis you have to look good or you won't sell), so a PC with the power of a console will be able to play the multiplats consoles have, and then it won't have the ability to play exclusives from consoles or PC. That's the absolute worst thing you can buy this gen; a weak PC. To get a good PC that can run high quality exclusives it will run you at least $500. And what's this about websites people have "no business" going to in the first place? What if there's a website you like that might have a virus? People like porn (sorry to bring this up I just know it's one that's in mind when it comes to getting viruses), so why do they have no business going there if they enjoy it. Should people be building their entire lives around gaming? Ya I don't worry about that because I use a Mac and a gaming console, I can't get viruses either way. What are you implying? In addition to a computer that can't get viruses, I should also have a $500 gaming computer and never use the internet on it? Not ideal to me. I'm sure some people also know ways how to send viruses through online servers for games. Also keyword: usually- adj.- def. not always, most of the time. It can come from other sources, and I don't want that risk when I could just use a console and not have any worry about it. And I'm aware that you can attach gamepads to computers, but is it possible that I prefer having the PS3 or Xbox 360 controller or the Wiimote? You know, a controller specifically designed by the company that made the console to work, one that will ALWAYS work with every game? For PC what happens when you play a game like The Witcher where you need to use about 1974864786 buttons? Then I have to go back to the control scheme I don't like. Consoles are also a much more social experience, local multiplayer for PCs involves LAN, a console you can just get a few friends, a few controllers, and play split screen or local co-op or whatever. Xbox Live and PSN are also much more easily navigable, you can find friends more easily than you can with online PC. Okay let's consider this argument about genres. Let's say it is split even, which now that I think of it, you're right, RTS and many other genres are better on PC. Then what about platformers, action-adventure, or ARPG games? This isn't helping an argument of console > PC, however it's bringing up a point about the original question, why people prefer consoles to PC. Platformers, sandbox action games, and action-adventure games are all very popular genres, and the people who like those will get consoles. Simple as that. RTS and MMORPGs, two huge genres on PC tend to be much more hardcore and time consuming, so many people are turned off of PCs and towards consoles, with games that are easier to pick up and play then put down, which is what most people are looking for. People on these forums, not so much, we're almost all fairly hardcore gamers who are looking for time consuming games we can play for hours at a time, so then it goes back purely to what genres you prefer. Your arguments were well thought through and some great points in them. Just proof there's strong evidence supporting both sides of the argument, and this battle can never be won. Also, thought I'd say, the PC is MUCH better than it's deformed clone the Xbox 360.
italygamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 italygamer
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="ElTriforceo"]I hate to have to worry about getting a powerful enough PC, and whether or not it meets requirements for games I want. ElTriforceo
If you buy a modern gaming PC, you don't really have to worry about this. Practically every last gaming computer on the market r ight now that is still in circulation can run every game on the market at console standards or better.

Having a console, you can just hook it up to your TV and be absolutely positive you can run any game you buy safely.

As you can with any modern gaming PC.

Also consoles are much cheaper,

Not necessarily. PCs nowadays are dramatically cheaper than they used to be. The entry level price for a console equivalent PC or slightly higher than is 100-200 dollars more than the console counterpart. That, however, is easily negated over the span of a generation thanks to cheaper games. All things considered equal, the PC can be cheaper than the console over the course of the generation. That includes used games too.

and unlike PCs they can't get viruses (at least as easily). It would suck having some $1,000 powerhouse gaming PC, only to have it ruined by a virus. And ya there's protection for that, but the last Windows computer I had, even with a top notch virus protection caught a single virus that destroyed the security and allowed hundreds more viruses to attack my PC. I switched to Mac after that, and the best I can do on that is play The Orange Box with Crossover Games.

Then you should refrain from going to malicious websites. Most of the time, viruses came from someone going to websites they really have no business going to in the first place. You have no one to blame but yourself for a virus. It isn't a gaming computer's fault, its your own.

All in all a gaming console is just a much, much more user friendly system than a PC is. No building, no worrying about requirements, none of that.

As highlighted by my posts, it isn't anywhere near as large of a gap as you're making it out to be. Yes, the console is more user friendly, but only marginally so. All things considered equal, you'd really end up splitting hairs/seconds trying to argue which one is more user friendly. Once you get into that debate, you're just being difficult/sophist.

Also I, as well as many others, much prefer to use a gamepad for gaming. Something like a Wii Remote fits fine simply because it still has A button, B button, D-Pad, analog stick, etc. that I'm familiar with, but going to PC, I don't enjoy playing with keyboard/mouse unless it's for FPS (which is of course the best control setup for the genre by far bar maybe IR and the Wii hasn't had any exceptional shooters yet), for games like platformers, action-adventure, ARPGS, and even turn-based RPGs, a good console controller just feels right to me.

Any PC game you want to can be ran using a controller through third party software like joy to key. So not only does the PC have gamepads, but it has a wider variety of controller inputs thanks to the multiple gamepad manufacturers.

I'm also sure someone is gonna kill me for this but, consoles tend to have more variety all in all. The PC can be classified as an RPG and FPS system, while the 3 consoles combined span every single genre you can think of, from cooking sims to FPSs to RPGs to racing to action-adventure to sandbox action. Sure they have those on the PC but with the exception of FPS and RPG they tend to be much less immersive, at least in my experience.

This is most assuredly wrong. The PC has tons of genres that you're not mentioning; the various strategy genres, the indie breakthrough games that aren't very present on consoles, adventure games and more. While there are genres that the PC generally lacks that the consoles have, it isn't necessarily so that the PC lacks variety, or that consoles have more variety. If anything, its about even; if not titled in the PC's favor.

OH CHRIST IT'S A BLOATED QUOTE PYRAMID AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Anyway, the fact that a gaming PC is only about the price of a console is irrelevant considering the majority of exclusives on PC sell largely off HD (after all when you're competing with Crysis you have to look good or you won't sell), so a PC with the power of a console will be able to play the multiplats consoles have, and then it won't have the ability to play exclusives from consoles or PC. That's the absolute worst thing you can buy this gen; a weak PC. To get a good PC that can run high quality exclusives it will run you at least $500. And what's this about websites people have "no business" going to in the first place? What if there's a website you like that might have a virus? People like porn (sorry to bring this up I just know it's one that's in mind when it comes to getting viruses), so why do they have no business going there if they enjoy it. Should people be building their entire lives around gaming? Ya I don't worry about that because I use a Mac and a gaming console, I can't get viruses either way. What are you implying? In addition to a computer that can't get viruses, I should also have a $500 gaming computer and never use the internet on it? Not ideal to me. I'm sure some people also know ways how to send viruses through online servers for games. Also keyword: usually- adj.- def. not always, most of the time. It can come from other sources, and I don't want that risk when I could just use a console and not have any worry about it. And I'm aware that you can attach gamepads to computers, but is it possible that I prefer having the PS3 or Xbox 360 controller or the Wiimote? You know, a controller specifically designed by the company that made the console to work, one that will ALWAYS work with every game? For PC what happens when you play a game like The Witcher where you need to use about 1974864786 buttons? Then I have to go back to the control scheme I don't like. Consoles are also a much more social experience, local multiplayer for PCs involves LAN, a console you can just get a few friends, a few controllers, and play split screen or local co-op or whatever. Xbox Live and PSN are also much more easily navigable, you can find friends more easily than you can with online PC. Okay let's consider this argument about genres. Let's say it is split even, which now that I think of it, you're right, RTS and many other genres are better on PC. Then what about platformers, action-adventure, or ARPG games? This isn't helping an argument of console > PC, however it's bringing up a point about the original question, why people prefer consoles to PC. Platformers, sandbox action games, and action-adventure games are all very popular genres, and the people who like those will get consoles. Simple as that. RTS and MMORPGs, two huge genres on PC tend to be much more hardcore and time consuming, so many people are turned off of PCs and towards consoles, with games that are easier to pick up and play then put down, which is what most people are looking for. People on these forums, not so much, we're almost all fairly hardcore gamers who are looking for time consuming games we can play for hours at a time, so then it goes back purely to what genres you prefer. Your arguments were well thought through and some great points in them. Just proof there's strong evidence supporting both sides of the argument, and this battle can never be won. Also, thought I'd say, the PC is MUCH better than it's deformed clone the Xbox 360.

i agree with you except for the platformers part.. i haven't seen many of them this gen yet
JunkTrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 JunkTrap
Member since 2006 • 2640 Posts
I don't enjoy PC gaming all that much because of the lack of good games. Sure there are some really good exclusives but not many.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 Danm_999
I don't enjoy PC gaming all that much because of the lack of good games. Sure there are some really good exclusives but not many.JunkTrap
Empirically, there are more high quality exclusives on the PC than any console. Of course, if those exclusives don't interest you, that's another story.
italygamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 italygamer
[QUOTE="JunkTrap"]I don't enjoy PC gaming all that much because of the lack of good games. Sure there are some really good exclusives but not many.Danm_999
Empirically, there are more high quality exclusives on the PC than any console. Of course, if those exclusives don't interest you, that's another story.

this year?
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 Danm_999

[QUOTE="Danm_999"][QUOTE="JunkTrap"]I don't enjoy PC gaming all that much because of the lack of good games. Sure there are some really good exclusives but not many.italygamer

this year?

Yep.