Why do the majority of people prefer gaming on consoles rather than Pc?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

a_simple_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1251 a_simple_gamer
Member since 2010 • 1338 Posts
I game 99% on consoles, because of the ease of use and the fact that i can have them in the living room easilly, and not have to move my PC that work with around If i could get all my PC games on consoles, i would too and abandon PC entirely Also i like pad controls far better too, which is major All the above combined, PC is for work to me
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#1252 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

[QUOTE="RyuRanVII"][QUOTE="Sailor_Enlil"]

If that whole thing plugged into a single USB port, then perhaps the PS3 would be able to use it.

Sailor_Enlil

To play what? Gran Turismo 5? :lol:

These flight games for the PS3, assuming they'll recognize the controller:

Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. series
After Burner Climax
Heroes Over Europe
1942: Joint Strike
Blazing Angels series

They won't recognize it and what's more, they're all extremely simplistic arcade games, so most of that set-up would be useless in them anyway

Avatar image for noob-saibot2010
noob-saibot2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1253 noob-saibot2010
Member since 2010 • 246 Posts

lower price and better game library.better and cheaper online play.and also you don't need to upgrade your console every year just to see a couple of extra trees in the environment.and also you can't bring your PC to living room everyday so as to connect it to your HDTV to see the real difference.

Combii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1254 Combii
Member since 2009 • 755 Posts

The graphics and the controller!

Avatar image for Metroid_Other_M
Metroid_Other_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1255 Metroid_Other_M
Member since 2009 • 438 Posts

The graphics and the controller!

Combii
Pc?
fireballonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1256 fireballonfire
Member since 2009 • 891 Posts

[QUOTE="Decrate"]

theres no reason to spend 600 dollars on a computer just to play games when you can buy a ps3 and xbox 360 for the same price. and i consider you're buying a PC just for games since most people already have a PC for all other basic programs. so 2 consoles, or another PC. consoles win

br0kenrabbit

If I bought a 360 or PS3, where would I plug my controller in at?

It only does everything, comes to mind.....

Sailor_Enlil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1257 Sailor_Enlil
Member since 2003 • 1552 Posts

Then again even the consoles occassionaly have crazy-complicated controllers for some games. Anybody remember Steel Battalion for the XBox?

Steel Battalion Controller

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1259 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

Cause they are stupid, they haven't grown up yet and seen how much PC owns all.

Combii

And you think making a remark like this demonstartes the intelligence of PC gamers? Really? :|

Thessassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#1260 Thessassin
Member since 2007 • 1819 Posts

i dont know if anyone has said this already, but its a 1000+ post topic where there only needs 1. the answer is simplicity, no hassle with upgrading to make the game run, no issues with drivers, no installation hassles, no glitchy computer to worry about. Consoles bring the game to you in a much more organized and simple way and so naturally it feels more streamlined which is why its preferred over the counterpart. compare it to manual cars vs automatics, manuals save gas, have better acceleration, and are generally easier to maintain and cheaper to fix, but why are autos more common? simplicity

Avatar image for Metroid_Other_M
Metroid_Other_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1261 Metroid_Other_M
Member since 2009 • 438 Posts

i dont know if anyone has said this already, but its a 1000+ post topic where there only needs 1. the answer is simplicity, no hassle with upgrading to make the game run, no issues with drivers, no installation hassles, no glitchy computer to worry about. Consoles bring the game to you in a much more organized and simple way and so naturally it feels more streamlined which is why its preferred over the counterpart. compare it to manual cars vs automatics, manuals save gas, have better acceleration, and are generally easier to maintain and cheaper to fix, but why are autos more common? simplicity

Thessassin
they're more common in America maybe, in Europe they're a rarity
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1262 AdrianWerner

compare it to manual cars vs automatics, manuals save gas, have better acceleration, and are generally easier to maintain and cheaper to fix, but why are autos more common? simplicity

Thessassin

It's very rare to find automatic in Europe. isn't it funny? PCgaming also is bigger in contintental europe, just like manuals are. WHile in US both automatics and consoles dominate

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1263 aia89
Member since 2009 • 2828 Posts

[QUOTE="aia89"][QUOTE="04dcarraher"] Flight controls for Pc Flight Sims.br0kenrabbit

o.o!! how much does that thing cost?

For the whole thing about $2,100.

omg who'd be so crazy to spend all that money if not for professional purpose?
Avatar image for irishdude199210
irishdude199210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1264 irishdude199210
Member since 2010 • 2517 Posts
console games are much easier to play, run and are much more accessible. think about it, cud u see a child opearating a computer? they wudn't no where to start. mods, performance etc. means nothing to them, just playing the game. pc games require knowlegde and learning to play, often most casual gamers wont even read the manual that came with the game, they shove it in and away they go, hassle free. instead of reading the manual to figure out how to do something, they'll button mash, which can actually work. so consoles are just more appealing to people, pc games are for the hardcore gamers. i myself am a hardcore gamer, i love rpgs and the wealth of info they gave u. the problem with pc games is that they tend to overload u with useless, irrelavant info that does nothing but fill the screen. i played sacred 2 (which is rubbish) on the ps3 and was just tired of seeing useless info. for example, +12.5% damage to dragons, that dosen't make any difference! i'm just goin to hit it till it dies, not guess the exact amount of hits it'll take!
Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1265 Hakkai007
Member since 2005 • 4905 Posts

console games are much easier to play, run and are much more accessible. think about it, cud u see a child opearating a computer? they wudn't no where to start. mods, performance etc. means nothing to them, just playing the game. pc games require knowlegde and learning to play, often most casual gamers wont even read the manual that came with the game, they shove it in and away they go, hassle free. instead of reading the manual to figure out how to do something, they'll button mash, which can actually work. so consoles are just more appealing to people, pc games are for the hardcore gamers. i myself am a hardcore gamer, i love rpgs and the wealth of info they gave u. the problem with pc games is that they tend to overload u with useless, irrelavant info that does nothing but fill the screen. i played sacred 2 (which is rubbish) on the ps3 and was just tired of seeing useless info. for example, +12.5% damage to dragons, that dosen't make any difference! i'm just goin to hit it till it dies, not guess the exact amount of hits it'll take!irishdude199210

My 10 year old nephew built his own computer and is able to install mods and many other things.

It didn't take him much time to learn either.

About an hour of googling and he knew what was needed.

I built my first computer at age 12 in 1994 and it was many times harder back then but I still accomplished it and it payed off.

Age has very little to do with something so simple as building a computer.

And I love your nit picking it is hilarious!

You name off one game with one small thing that you don't like but many others do and try to use that as an argument freakin brilliant comedy there!

Also the PC market has one of the largest bases of casual gamers.

And you don't need to read a manual for games. I never had to for any of my PC games.

Only ones that need a manual are the simulator games which are very complex but you are not forced to play them anyway.

Sailor_Enlil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1266 Sailor_Enlil
Member since 2003 • 1552 Posts

[QUOTE="irishdude199210"]console games are much easier to play, run and are much more accessible. think about it, cud u see a child opearating a computer? they wudn't no where to start. mods, performance etc. means nothing to them, just playing the game. pc games require knowlegde and learning to play, often most casual gamers wont even read the manual that came with the game, they shove it in and away they go, hassle free. instead of reading the manual to figure out how to do something, they'll button mash, which can actually work. so consoles are just more appealing to people, pc games are for the hardcore gamers. i myself am a hardcore gamer, i love rpgs and the wealth of info they gave u. the problem with pc games is that they tend to overload u with useless, irrelavant info that does nothing but fill the screen. i played sacred 2 (which is rubbish) on the ps3 and was just tired of seeing useless info. for example, +12.5% damage to dragons, that dosen't make any difference! i'm just goin to hit it till it dies, not guess the exact amount of hits it'll take!Hakkai007

My 10 year old nephew built his own computer and is able to install mods and many other things.

It didn't take him much time to learn either.

About an hour of googling and he knew what was needed.

I built my first computer at age 12 in 1994 and it was many times harder back then but I still accomplished it and it payed off.

Age has very little to do with something so simple as building a computer.

And I love your nit picking it is hilarious!

You name off one game with one small thing that you don't like but many others do and try to use that as an argument freakin brilliant comedy there!

Also the PC market has one of the largest bases of casual gamers.

And you don't need to read a manual for games. I never had to for any of my PC games.

Only ones that need a manual are the simulator games which are very complex but you are not forced to play them anyway.

You and your child are the EXCEPTIONS, not the norm. Also known as the "gifted child". These days just about everywhere I look where there are PC's other than at a Cybercafe with gaming services, if they're not being used for officework, email, homework, or web browsing, it's either Youtube or Facebook (and its applications within like the Facebook games)I usuallysee being used (like just earlier at the shopping mall when I had dinner at a fastfood restaurant- nearby this girl was watching a Youtube clip on her laptop featuring some reality show).

*** goes back to playing Guitar Hero: Van Halen on his PS3 ***

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#1267 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
You and your child are the EXCEPTIONS, not the norm. Also known as the "gifted child". These days just about everywhere I look where there are PC's other than at a Cybercafe with gaming services, if they're not being used for officework, email, homework, or web browsing, it's either Youtube or Facebook (and its applications within like the Facebook games)I usuallysee being used (like just earlier at the shopping mall when I had dinner at a fastfood restaurant- nearby this girl was watching a Youtube clip on her laptop featuring some reality show)*** goes back to playing Guitar Hero: Van Halen on his PS3 **Sailor_Enlil
Prove they aren't the norm. I demand statistical evidence from credited sources. Your anecdotes are insufficient to establish this fact, because it could be based on an unrepresentative sample.
navigata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#1268 navigata
Member since 2005 • 7619 Posts

Consoles are just a lot easier to deal with. You don't have to worry about requirements and upgrades with them. With PC's this a big factor in deciding how well your games can play, if they are eligible to do so in the first place. The amount of money you add to your PC over time is a LOT more than the initial console purchase. 200 bucks vs 1.5 - 2.5K For a good PC. I personally own PC, XBOX and PS3.. And PC is by far the most expensive option out there. Besides not many of my friends do PC gaming.. So consoles are a plus.

calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#1269 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

This seems to have been bumped up after 13 days :o Why?

Anyway, I choose consoles because I like the games on consoles far more. Not hard to understand, it's a preference. Just because someone doesn't like what you like doesn't give you (TP) the right to go and say that there must be something contributing to them not liking PCs in favor to consoles.

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1270 Hakkai007
Member since 2005 • 4905 Posts

Consoles are just a lot easier to deal with. You don't have to worry about requirements and upgrades with them. With PC's this a big factor in deciding how well your games can play, if they are eligible to do so in the first place. The amount of money you add to your PC over time is a LOT more than the initial console purchase. 200 bucks vs 1.5 - 2.5K For a good PC. I personally own PC, XBOX and PS3.. And PC is by far the most expensive option out there. Besides not many of my friends do PC gaming.. So consoles are a plus.

navigata

You could build a PC for 500 USD that is 4x more powerful than any console.

The games are cheaper on PC so over time the PC is cheaper.

And your friends thing is just your own opinion.

Not many of my friends use console so PC gaming is a plus in the area for me.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1271 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

:lol: pc gamers (aka "true" or "hardcore" gamers) just can't handle the fact that a lot people just prefer consoles because they like them better.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1272 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61526 Posts

:lol: pc gamers (aka "true" or "hardcore" gamers) just can't handle the fact that a lot people just prefer consoles because they like them better.

lazerface216

Don't generalize a whole fanbase.

I fully understand it's solely down to preference.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1273 lazerface216

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

lundy86_4

i'm just going by what i've read in this thread. it's hilarious.

warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1274 warmaster670
Member since 2004 • 4699 Posts

[QUOTE="navigata"]

Hakkai007

You could build a PC for 500 USD that is 4x more powerful than any console.

Sure you can.

PCs can be a massive PITA, a PITA that isnt worth it if all your looking for is games.

PC fanboys will never understand that some people dont like the hassles that come along with pc gaming (yes there are hassles wether you want to belive it or not), not to mention the fact that more good games come out for the consoles since pc gamers are cheap, meaning you make less money.

Its a shameful what the pc community is right now, absoultely shameful, just a bunch of whiney greedy horrible fanboys pretty much.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1275 lundy86_4

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

lazerface216

*shrug* that's System Wars for you :P

Not really a fair representation of any fanbase.

Leo-Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1276 Leo-Magic
Member since 2005 • 3025 Posts
[QUOTE="pitty8982"]

apparently free online, cheaper games, mods, better performance and graphics are not decisive factors in choosing Pc over the consoles.

I don't think it's because of the price either..cause I mean, look at how expensive console games and accessories are. so what is it? lack of games on Pc? commercial? laziness?

I used to be a pc-only-gamer, but for years Im tired of spending time and money upgrading my pc, Id rather spend my money on games not hardware.
lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1277 lazerface216

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

lundy86_4

*shrug* that's System Wars for you :P

Not really a fair representation of any fanbase.

ain't that the truth...

Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1278 Zero5000X
Member since 2004 • 8314 Posts
I'm the only PC gamer out of all my friends but I gave my one friend a StarCraft II beta key and I've been trying to convert him to that at least.
h575309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1279 h575309
Member since 2005 • 8551 Posts

I just go where the games are. I usually prefer the consoles for simplicity of it all, and I dont care much about the slightly better visuals mostly. Ill play RTS, some RPGs (DAO), and some FPS (L4D2, CS) on PC. Probably build a new PC for SW:TOR though.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1280 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

Wow this thread got huge, the thing is though the OP made this thread on a completely baseless statement, from the information we have more people play on PC than consoles combined, he provided no links, no evidence, not even so much as a VGchartz or Cliffyb quote yet this thread was left open? I must say I am really surprised at the mods for not locking this yet. Not to mention it's been necroed several times...

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#1281 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

cheapergames?

really , ,i saw pc games go for 49,99-same as wii games and 59,99 same as 360 ps3 new releases

plus you got to keep upgradin your harddrive ram etc -that cost more money then just buying a new console every 4-5-6 yrs

plus the only good /ok games it receives are from ea in the form of the sims and

also crysis which 2 is comin to consoles as well so that leaves pc high and dry for exclusives

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1282 lundy86_4

cheapergames?

really , ,i saw pc games go for 49,99-same as wii games and 59,99 same as 360 ps3 new releases

plus you got to keep upgradin your harddrive ram etc -that cost more money then just buying a new console every 4-5-6 yrs

plus the only good /ok games it receives are from ea in the form of the sims and

also crysis which 2 is comin to consoles as well so that leaves pc high and dry for exclusives

mariokart64fan

PC has close to 200 reviewed exclusives. With a plethora coming out (a lot likely won't get reviewed). How is it high and dry again?

Furthermore, it only gets good / ok in the form of sims from EA? Try playing games like The Witcher, Cryostasis, Shattered Horizon, Stalker series, Sins of a Solar Empire, World in Conflict, Company of heroes, Total War series, ARMA II etc etc.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1283 Espada12

[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

cheapergames?

lundy86_4

PC has close to 200 reviewed exclusives. With a plethora coming out (a lot likely won't get reviewed). How is it high and dry again?

Furthermore, it only gets good / ok in the form of sims from EA? Try playing games like The Witcher, Cryostasis, Shattered Horizon, Stalker series, Sins of a Solar Empire, World in Conflict, Company of heroes, Total War series, ARMA II etc etc.

Man I didn't even want to bother, the evidence against every claim probably has been shown at least 5 times and stated even more times in this thread, at this point it they refuse to accept facts there's no changing that!

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#1284 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Has no one noticed that this is an old thread?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1285 lundy86_4

Man I didn't even want to bother, the evidence against every claim probably has been shown at least 5 times and stated even more times in this thread, at this point it they refuse to accept facts there's no changing that!

Espada12

I wasn't going to at first, but then my need to educate the ignorant came to the forefront :P

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1286 Espada12

Has no one noticed that this is an old thread?

LegatoSkyheart

I've been saying that since the first necro.. been necroed two more times after that :P

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#1287 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

$ and the fact that you know it'll last at least 5 years. PCs are in the 800-1000 dollar range, and even at that price point probably won't be effective for many games in 3 or 4 years.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1288 AdrianWerner

PCs can be a massive PITA, a PITA that isnt worth it if all your looking for is games.

PC fanboys will never understand that some people dont like the hassles that come along with pc gaming

warmaster670

You cry that hermits don't understand that "some people dont like the hassles", but then you also post that PC gaming isn't worth it if you're looking just for games. I guess haters will never understand that for some people all that "massive PITA" is worth it for games.

Avatar image for Raymundo_Manuel
Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1289 Raymundo_Manuel
Member since 2010 • 4641 Posts

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

lundy86_4

I wasn't going to at first, but then my need to educate the ignorant came to the forefront :P

"Educating" ignorant System Wars posters:D

That's a good joke :P

Valiant_Rebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1290 Valiant_Rebel
Member since 2009 • 4197 Posts

cheapergames?

Yes, the games are usually cheaper. A few weeks ago on Steam, I turned $60 into 25 games.

You do not have to uprade your consoles unless a new one comes around, so I'm not sure why a person has to keep upgrading their system. Once a person can play games this gen, they do not need to upgrade until next gen.

You are putting your personal preference onto other people. You do not know (and most likely do not care) about all the games that are on PC other than the ones that are made mainstream. Since PC has the most high scoring exclusives this gen, if the PC is "high and dry" for exclusives, where does that leave the consoles?

mariokart64fan

I figure you will ignore my reply and post this again somewhere else, but you will feel so much better knowing you are right whenever you post.

devious742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1291 devious742
Member since 2003 • 3924 Posts

lazerface216

its all about preference:P

PCs Played More Than Any Console, Reports NPD

PCs are used for gaming more than any console and PlayStation 3 owners are more likely to have multiple consoles, according to the results of the Games Segmentation 2008 report from sales tracking and research firm The NPD Group.

In addition to stating that PlayStation 3 owners are most likely to have other "next-generation" consoles than Wii and Xbox 360 owners, NPD claimed that only 10% of PS2 owners have a PS3. In the realm of portables, 45% of PSP owners have a Nintendo DS, but only 21% of DS owners have a PSP.

Despite the broad declarations, NPD did not provide specific figures for console and PC playtime. Likewise, an exact breakdown showing the ownership patterns of those that have multiple "next-generation" consoles was absent from the release.

BioWare Says the PC is "Made For Games"

BioWare designer Daniel Erickson says the PC is "made for games" and that despite the never-ending predictions of its imminent demise, it's the "natural" platform for BioWare's RPGs.

"There was not a question when we started Old Republic - or any of our games, for that matter - [what the lead format would be]," he said. "There's a reason the lead SKU for Dragon Age was [PC] as well. When we're developing an RPG, it's a natural place to be."

PC Most Popular Format For Euro Gamers

Who's the most popular gaming format, eh? Who is? Who is? Is it you? Is it? Awwwww, yes, you ARE the most popular gaming format! You big, loveable thing you…

Oh, I'm sorry, you've caught me having a chat with my PC. Because my beautiful little boy is the most popular kid in school. According to an MCV report, as I've been saying for the last four hundred million years, the PC is by far the most popular means of playing games in the UK.

ELSPA and ISFE (Interactive Software Federation of Europe) have conducted a survey of British gamers that finds 33% of all sentient gaming humans are playing their chosen distractions on the big grey box.

Study: PC Software Sales Up 3% To $13.1 Billion In 2009

The PC Gaming Alliance (PCGA), a non-profit PC gaming advocacy group, revealed a new research study indicating that PC gaming software revenues worldwide reached $13.1 billion in 2009, a 3 percent increase over the previous year.

That increase came in spite of decreased retail boxed sales for PC games, which suffered the "biggest downturn" out of all the sales categories PCGA tracked and now accounts for less than 20 percent of total software revenue for the year.

Digital distribution growth also largely offset losses in other PC gaming software categories. In its surveys of PC gamers in North America and Europe, the report found that 70 percent of respondents have purchased a full game online.

"The most notable trend in recent years has been the movement to digital distribution and payment for subscriptions, and the growing popularity with consumers of online games as a service," says PCGA president and Intel director Randy Stude.

Blizzard: PC gaming is not dying out, BlizzCon proves it

In an interview with Gamasutra, Kevin Martens, Blizzard Lead Content Designer, revealed his opinion on the "PC gaming is dead" mentality that has been of much discussion lately. Martens feels that Blizzard counteracts this best by keeping system requirements low while making sure its games are still marketable.

"The death knell of PC has risen and fallen over the years, and we keep releasing PC games, and they keep doing incredibly well," said Martens. "I think that there is a market out there for PC games. The latest consoles are great; it's easy to get the game running and all that. They're useful.

"But everyone has a PC, and we try to keep our system requirements down as low as possible. That's one of the ways that we can make sure to appeal to enough people. Some of the really cutting edge games that come out for PC require a brand new video card and probably more RAM at least, if not a new CPU as well. That's really rare with Blizzard games. I think that's one of the reasons we still keep doing well.

"The best evidence that the PC market is not actually dying is the 20,000 people that showed up this year at Blizzcon, and the fact that those tickets sold out in one minute flat.

"That doesn't seem to me, that it's really good evidence, of a platform with a problem."

Sega: PC sales are stronger than reported

Growing digital sales mean that the charts don't tell the full PC games story

Publishing giant Sega has defended PC gaming, calling it a strong and vital market for the games industry.

Physical retail sales of PC games are continuing to slide in 2010, but Sega's UK MD John Clark says that isn't a fair representation of the market – with digital sales now accounting for a large proportion of revenue.

"The PC market is third in terms of its year-on-year performance with a decline of 26 per cent, but this doesn't really reflect the full picture," said Clark.

"The PC digital download business is now a viable sector but somewhat invisible as it's not yet covered by Chart-Track. The PC market overall is actually performing much better than is currently reported and remains a vital and strong sector to be involved in."

Sega was the second biggest UK PC publisher in 2009, with 12 per cent share of the market.

Meanwhile, year-to-date in 2010 the company has a 12.8 per cent share of the PC games sector. This was boosted by the strong performance last month of Aliens vs Predator, Napoleon: Total War, as well as continued sales of Football Manager 2010.

"Last month's PC chart illustrates Sega's position within this sector," added Clark.

"Napoleon: Total War, Football Manager 2010 and Aliens vs Predator are three different **** of game from three different genres. They can all drive a strong, community fan base with the ability to consistently deliver endless hours of gameplay. Incidentally, they are all developed in the UK.

"For 2009, Sega was ranked the second biggest PC publisher in the market. In 2010 year-to-date, we are once again ranked second. Long may it continue."

PC receives high-profile backing from EA

Whilst High Street sales of PC software can paint a picture of decline, the un-monitored online revenues coming from the format are drastically increasing – a fact that helped EA enjoy a strong performance on the format last year.

VG247 points out that EA released 32 PC games in its last fiscal year – far ahead of Xbox 360 (26), PS3 (23), DS (22), Wii (21), PS2 (14), PSP (8) and Xbox (1).

Revenues from EA's digital services hit $429m – up 27 per cent compared to the same period the year before.

"This is a big year for us [on PC]," said EA CFO Eric Brown. "The online part of our business is growing as much as 60 percent year over year.

"In terms of distribution, the way we look at a lot what's happening in the future is, we've got probably a billion PCs out there in the world. Very rapidly the PC is becoming the largest gaming platform in the world, just not in a packaged-good product."

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1292 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts
Well if anyone post another "PC is Dying?" thread, just copy-paste what devious742 posted. Should settle the issue nice and quick :) What he missed though is the explosive growth of MMORPGs. Lets not even mention casual games....lol.
Mooby0308

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1293 Mooby0308
Member since 2007 • 54 Posts
I play Blizzard games on PC and RTS games but everything else I play on consoles. I hate FPS on PC I hate mods and hackers and servers.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#1294 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44658 Posts

PCs may be more powerful, offer the most potential, but they're also really expensive to keep top of the line, while consoles, are a much more long term investment, still have lots of processing power for modern games, and are much easier to use and integrate in a larger media system with quality HDTVs getting cheaper, surround sound system enhancements, the comfort of playing it from a sofa vs a swivel chair

plus, while games made for PCs require constant upgrading, console games don't require this because developers devote more effort toward making the console game engines more efficient, and in a way I feel consoles have pretty much become PCs in many ways as far as multiplayer functionality is concerned, and consoles are a lot more powerful than they use to be, and Microsoft has tried making the Xbox 360 close to the PC to help make development on both relatively easy

anyhow, I've made a big switch between PCs to consoles this latest generation, I've grown tired of investing in PCs for gaming and find it much more relaxing to have a cheap PC for non-gaming purposes and leave the gaming to consoles, and the only games I truly miss are RTS games which you really need a mouse and keyboard to play, but I hate the argument that FPSs are better with mouse and keyboard, first off the mouses percision I feel is just as well served on the Xbox 360's right analog stick, while the left analog stick movement gives more percision than ASDW keyboard key movement

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1295 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

PCs may be more powerful, offer the most potential, but they're also really expensive to keep top of the line, while consoles, are a much more long term investment, still have lots of processing power for modern games, and are much easier to use and integrate in a larger media system with quality HDTVs getting cheaper, surround sound system enhancements, the comfort of playing it from a sofa vs a swivel chair

plus, while games made for PCs require constant upgrading, console games don't require this because developers devote more effort toward making the console game engines more efficient, and in a way I feel consoles have pretty much become PCs in many ways as far as multiplayer functionality is concerned, and consoles are a lot more powerful than they use to be, and Microsoft has tried making the Xbox 360 close to the PC to help make development on both relatively easy

anyhow, I've made a big switch between PCs to consoles this latest generation, I've grown tired of investing in PCs for gaming and find it much more relaxing to have a cheap PC for non-gaming purposes and leave the gaming to consoles, and the only games I truly miss are RTS games which you really need a mouse and keyboard to play, but I hate the argument that FPSs are better with mouse and keyboard, first off the mouses percision I feel is just as well served on the Xbox 360's right analog stick, while the left analog stick movement gives more percision than ASDW keyboard key movement

lamprey263

The problem is with these ways of thinking that you need the top of the line parts and need to shell out lots of money.... People like this dont think about the other uses of Pc's and just focus on the gaming aspect. Consoles do not have the long term investment, they age really fast after two years after release when you compare Pc power, And with the 360's they are not the ideal long term investment. hooking up to hdtv'sand using the sofa or chair ploy isnt a plus of the console since you can do the same thing on Pc .

Games made for Pc do not need constant upgrading.... As for myself I havent upgraded since 2007 (for Crysis) and still play games on high to max settings well above console abilites. Console are not more powerful when it comes to online services because they charge you(looking at 360), and they limit your options in many ways. You have grown tired in investing in Pc gaming because you do not know how to shop and pick the right choices, Doing it right can make it last as long as the console generation or longer and with more options.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#1296 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts
I am the majority and I prefer playing on the PC.
a_simple_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1297 a_simple_gamer
Member since 2010 • 1338 Posts

apparently free online, cheaper games, mods, better performance and graphics are not decisive factors in choosing Pc over the consoles.

I don't think it's because of the price either..cause I mean, look at how expensive console games and accessories are. so what is it? lack of games on Pc? commercial? laziness?

pitty8982

The main reason are ease of use, and price

When you can play Mass Effect 2 and Rage on 360 for 149$ !!!!! that matters to many

Also a console can fit in the living room far easier than a PC

And usually i use a PC for work and other stuff than gaming and dont want to move it i the living room as a gamign system at all, or move it between places, it is really unmforrtable

The biggest thing is ease of use though, imagine that with a console you get a new game, pop the disk in and play

With PC i rearly had that pleasure, usually drivers need updating, sound and/or graphics do not work properly, loading in some games takes forever even in a super system, it is far more likely to find bugs and you may have an unstable system due to a million viruses and ad programs in the PC

Sometimes, your combo is not compatible at all with the game and need a specific patch to play right, which you have to wait for

Unthinlable stuff actually, i buy all games i can on my xbox - xbox 360 and have such a HUGE peace of mind that is hard to edscribe

Also i game more on consoles than used to with PC and have much more free time for anything else, since i dont waste any time trying to get PC games t work and tweak them

kunal1092000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1298 kunal1092000
Member since 2003 • 920 Posts

My guess is that people like consoles because of it is cheap and guaranteed to run any game that comes out on it.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1299 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

[QUOTE="pitty8982"]

a_simple_gamer

With PC i rearly had that pleasure, usually drivers need updating, sound and/or graphics do not work properly, loading in some games takes forever even in a super system, it is far more likely to find bugs and you may have an unstable system due to a million viruses and ad programs in the PC

Sometimes, your combo is not compatible at all with the game and need a specific patch to play right, which you have to wait for

Unthinlable stuff actually, i buy all games i can on my xbox - xbox 360 and have such a HUGE peace of mind that is hard to edscribe

Also i game more on consoles than used to with PC and have much more free time for anything else, since i dont waste any time trying to get PC games t work and tweak them

Im sorry those are excuses and most likey your fault to begin with, for Pc. monthly maintance is really all you need to keep your Pc is shape, And now come on you cant have a peice of mind playng on the 360, when you know theirs a good chance of in breaking with nearly 30% chance every year of use. in one way or another that prohibits you from playing on it. And again spending a minute or two tweaking a game to be better then console versions a waste of time? Man you must be on a tight schedule were you cant have free time.....

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1300 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

Okay, this is the last time that this thread is rising from its grave. ;)