Why do pc cemtric titles now sell more on consoles?

• 126 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Poll Why do pc cemtric titles now sell more on consoles? (65 votes)

Piracy 34%
High system req 11%
Casual gamings 15%
Some other reason (explain) 40%

UK chart: Thief steals top spot

The Thief series. The Shock series. The Fear Series. The Fallout Series. The Elder Scrolls Series. The Dues Ex Series. The Call Of Duty Series. The Crysis Series. The FarCry Series. The Dragon Age Series.

Really my friends, it's almost an endless list. PC originated titles, many of which considered he foundation the Holy Grail of the platform. Now, seeing 2X/3X/4X/5X/10X + the sales on consoles,. Built for consoles, for console gamers.

It's dignity being given.

Why is this the reality now? It seems odd pc gamers can dish out $500 on a graphics card but not manage to pay $40 for a game. Regardless, most games aren't that demanding to begin with.

Ignoring the shame and embarrassment, why is this happening?

• 
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#51 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

@blamix99 said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

PC Centric games always sell better on PC itself . Even multiplatform dumbed down games sometimes sell better on PC . Alan Wake anyone .?

Portal 2 sold better on PC

Skyrim sold better on PC

Alan Wake Sold better on PC

Witcher 2 sold better on PC

Payday 2 sold better on PC

Battlefield 3 sold better on PC

Diablo 3 sold better on PC

and so on .

Saying the games doesn't sell better on PC is ignorant and childish at best . And those are just retail numbers , most of the profit comes from digital sales and companies doesn't share it .

LOL.. prove it, cause in your list only Witcher 2 and Diablo 3 leads on PC. the rest sold better on consoles

Portal 2 was confirmed by valve to have sold better on PC. Pretty sure Payday 2 sold better on PC by a lot. BAttlefield 3 sold just as well as either console - probably in between PS3 and 360, but not better. Skyrim sold a bazzillion copies on PC, it's still one fo the top 10 played games on PC - but we don't know if it did better on PC than console. It's certianly the most played version right now, but all we ever hear from the publisher is that the Pc osld like crazy - but no hard numbers.

Alan wake definitley didn't sell better on PC. No surprise there since it was on 360 for severla YEARS before it came to PC. The dev did say that they made a profit after porting costs within a day on Steam, I believe?

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Kinthalis

This still seems to me like such a pathetic thing to argue about. Like we play sales figures vs games or something.

And the entire premise is so misguided and such a huge strawman, used only by console warriors to try and score points. Hmmm, 2 gaming platforms COMBINED tends to beat a single gaming platform in sales... who would of thunk it!!

As I mentioned before - I don't give a crap if SKyrim did sell better on consoles - the PC version is THE version to play.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#53 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Digital sales are never included in these reports. Very few people buy hard copy PC games these days.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#54  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@blamix99 said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

PC Centric games always sell better on PC itself . Even multiplatform dumbed down games sometimes sell better on PC . Alan Wake anyone .?

Skyrim sold better on PC

and so on .

Saying the games doesn't sell better on PC is ignorant and childish at best . And those are just retail numbers , most of the profit comes from digital sales and companies doesn't share it .

LOL.. prove it, cause in your list only Witcher 2 and Diablo 3 leads on PC. the rest sold better on consoles

PC Revenue : www.dsogaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/1cdb17dd-05bb-453b-8cdc-b1f0eb5e9dc4.jpg

Alan Wake Profitable on PC within 48 hours . The IP was saved by PC gamers , Xbox version sold only 1.4 million in 2 years (That was their target minimum target sales) : http://www.gamefront.com/alan-wake-pc-made-a-profit-within-48-hours/

Portal 2 sold better on PC : http://www.computerandvideogames.com/317160/portal-2-did-better-on-pc-than-console-newell-reveals/

Payday 2 80% Sales were from digital version . Majority of PC owners buy games digitally . Even if you consider it not outselling both console versions combined (which you always do) , it still did better than both versions separately . Same can be said about Skyrim , it broke all records on steam back in 2011 .

Then there are other console games that were huge success on PC like Mortal Kombat . Not to mention the overall profit , every penny goes straight to developers . No one takes a single penny other than developers unlike console releases . PC is so much not "profitable" that it is most popular platform among developers .

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/gdc-2014-survey-proves-that-pc-is-the-most-popular-platform/

It's so sad that corporations had been lying to gamers for so many years and people had been believing in them . This is getting old now .

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55  Edited By NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11803 Posts

This was fall out as a PC centric title,

12 dollars says console gamers wouldn't even think about touching FallOut if the ones that came to console were isometric/top down games

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

PC centric titles sell more on PC, which is why PC has more gaming revenue than any console.

OP was lying, trolling, or is flat out wrong.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Jankarcop

@blamix99 said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

Skyrim sold better on PC

and so on .

LOL going by boxed sales = you lost.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#62 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

@TheFadeForever said:

@blamix99:

Valve said Portal 2 sold better on pc

maybe it did, but now.. x360 and ps3 are leading

Avatar image for endlessinfinity
EndlessInfinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#63  Edited By EndlessInfinity
Member since 2013 • 231 Posts

@blamix99:

going by what?

And Valve already confirmed it a long time

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#64 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9578 Posts

other...

Community, and less cheating/hacking... well until later on in the console generation at least...

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#65 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

@blamix99 said:

@TheFadeForever said:

@blamix99:

Valve said Portal 2 sold better on pc

maybe it did, but now.. x360 and ps3 are leading

lol guess you dont know that game sales on consoles are almost nil after the first month of release let alone years later

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

Page 2 and no link to back up the TC's claims. Time to put this thread to bed mods.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#67  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Casuals.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

Why are we comparing 3 consoles to 1 PC platform? That doesn't seem very fair.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

Its had bad reviews and while there have been tons of games released on PC lately there's been bugger all on consoles and PC gamers seem less inclined to buy @ launch, partially because they all have huge backlogs and partially because they'd rather wait for a sale.

Yup, it's been proven before that console games sell huge at launch and then sales die out

While PC games sell less at launch but continue to sell over a longer period of time

probably due to a) flavor of the month culture of the console world b) mods

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts
@blamix99 said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

Skyrim sold better on PC

and so on .

you must be joking

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Cloud_imperium

@SEANMCAD said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

@blamix99 said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

It's so sad that corporations had been lying to gamers for so many years and people had been believing in them . This is getting old now .

I am a bit surprised at the mobile gaming numbers.

I bet its likely people playing games at work, on the bus, waiting in line etc.

And in class rooms .

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Cloud_imperium
@Jankarcop said:

PC centric titles sell more on PC, which is why PC has more gaming revenue than any console.

OP was lying, trolling, or is flat out wrong.

Consoles are also not backward compatible which makes console sales extremely front loaded . On other hand PC games sell for decades . People still buy games like Elite , Baldur's Gate and Placescape Torment from GOG.com . Not to mention old console games that vanished from stores a long time ago , are kept alive by PC gamers , thanks to emulators .

"PC Gamer had been the most loyal customer" : Chris Roberts .

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

@SEANMCAD said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

@blamix99 said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

This was a survey conducted at a game developers conference... which is mostly just a bunch of indie and amateur game developers. It doesnt mean anything. Do we really think "android microconsoles" (which i assume means ouya) get almost as much developer support as PS3 and xbox 360 combined?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#74 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@BeardMaster said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

@blamix99 said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

This was a survey conducted at a game developers conference... which is mostly just a bunch of indie and amateur game developers. It doesnt mean anything. Do we really think "android microconsoles" (which i assume means ouya) get almost as much developer support as PS3 and xbox 360 combined?

Well there's crossover, since it seems they could pick more than one. So i'd imagine a lot of the people who said smartphone/tablet also said android microconsole

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

@lostrib said:

@BeardMaster said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

@blamix99 said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

Well there's crossover, since it seems they could pick more than one. So i'd imagine a lot of the people who said smartphone/tablet also said android microconsole

Right but im saying the respondents are generally the ones making self published self developed type games. Its not like the dev teams from triple AAA studios all take time off work to goto these things. So im not sure what the importance of the chart is other than to show PC and mobile have way more crappy indie games, which everyone already knew.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@04dcarraher said:

Why do consoler's need to take all console numbers to compare against pc?

Why do consoler's ignore digital sales?

Why do consoler's ignore the fact that pc gaming produces more profit then console gaming?

Many of the those games suffered from the casualzation hammer

Quality,detail and uniqueness of those series went out the window when they change to many aspects to fit "the crowd".

Just because every kid and mindless drone goes out a buys the next "big hit" that's been advertized and hyped, is because that is all they know and that's why game sales plummet after the mass rush the first few weeks. They Beat em and resell them.

If you want to game on the computer there's only one choice. On console you can have as many as 5 choices. Not really fair to compare just one console to pc.

1 pc version of Battlefield 4 yet there's 4 versions to choose from on console.

Console gaming isn't monopolized like computer gaming is. If consoles were then you'd almost have the perfect apples to apples comparison. Even if consoles were monopolized theres still the gen transition where half the sales of a multiplat are on the old consoles and half on the new.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Cranler

@Cloud_imperium said:

Skyrim sold better on PC

and so on .

That's an incredibly small list and where's the sales breakdown info for Alan Wake and Skyrim? Also remember BF 3 is completely gimped on console.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

@wis3boi said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

Its had bad reviews and while there have been tons of games released on PC lately there's been bugger all on consoles and PC gamers seem less inclined to buy @ launch, partially because they all have huge backlogs and partially because they'd rather wait for a sale.

Yup, it's been proven before that console games sell huge at launch and then sales die out

While PC games sell less at launch but continue to sell over a longer period of time

probably due to a) flavor of the month culture of the console world b) mods

Yup, and I've also found that PC games have longer lasting communities because of a)

I've bought some console games that were only 1-2 years old and the online community had already died out completely. While on PC there are many games over 5 years old that still have a really active community.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

PC gaming is too much of a hassle. I just want to stick the game in and press play. The end.

My PC is never good enough to play any of the games and I have to install new hardware or find stupid drivers. The cost and time needed to enjoy a PC game is too much. Plus keyboard and mouse sucks. It breaks my left wrist.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Kinthalis

@stuff238 said:

PC gaming is too much of a hassle. I just want to stick the game in and press play. The end.

My PC is never good enough to play any of the games and I have to install new hardware or find stupid drivers. The cost and time needed to enjoy a PC game is too much. Plus keyboard and mouse sucks. It breaks my left wrist.

You sir, win, the idiot troll award! Congratulations!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

@stuff238 said:

It's a good thing with PC you don't even have to stick the game in! Just click it and it works! Less hassle than consoles!

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@stuff238 said:

My 360 won't play XB1 games nor my Wii Wii U games! To make things worse my PS4 can't even play PS3 ones, wtf?!?! CONSOLE GAMING SUCKS.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Jankarcop

@Cranler said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

Skyrim sold better on PC

and so on .

Also remember BF 3 is completely gimped on console.

It feels this way for nearly all multiplats after playing them on PC. Going from 60 to 20 fps is harsh.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Hermits wait for those $1-5 sales on steam, they cant afford buy new games at full price after spent so much money on hardware upgrades...

Piracy do lots damage too...

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:

Hermits wait for those $1-5 sales on steam, they cant afford buy new games at full price after spent so much money on hardware upgrades...

Hmm 450+ games on steam paid full price or over 200 of them...try again.

Piracy has been on the PC for 30 years (as it is with any open platform) and it never killed it, now we have digital downloads to compete with it, piracy is less of a problem than ever, but you fanboys like to drag it up because you lack any reasonable and remotely solid arguments. :(

You need new material these are already worn out.

dbtbandit67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 dbtbandit67
Member since 2012 • 415 Posts

First off, none of those games you mentioned are "PC-centric"

All those games are mostly first person shooters, and a lot of people prefer to play those with a gamepad.

PC centric is where, having a keyboard and mouse is the organic experience to the game, like a game like Hearthstone or SimCity or X-Com and other strategy/simulation titles where you really need that mouse pointer and a keyboard. This applies to MMORPGs also.

The short answer to your question is: higher install base. It's easier to be a console gamer, not everyone can, or is willing to be a PC Gamer. But really, who cares. Playing games like X-Com is way better on PC, having a mouse and keyboard helps a lot to that sort of game. Being a console fanboy is just as bad as being a PC fanboy, just shutup and game.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@Cranler said:

@04dcarraher said:

Why do consoler's ignore the fact that pc gaming produces more profit then console gaming?

Quality,detail and uniqueness of those series went out the window when they change to many aspects to fit "the crowd".

Just because every kid and mindless drone goes out a buys the next "big hit" that's been advertized and hyped, is because that is all they know and that's why game sales plummet after the mass rush the first few weeks. They Beat em and resell them.

If you want to game on the computer there's only one choice. On console you can have as many as 5 choices. Not really fair to compare just one console to pc.

Console gaming isn't monopolized like computer gaming is. If consoles were then you'd almost have the perfect apples to apples comparison. Even if consoles were monopolized theres still the gen transition where half the sales of a multiplat are on the old consoles and half on the new.

Consoles aren't monopolized? Are you mad?

Who owns Playstation 3 / 4 and controls everything released on it?

Who owns Xbox 360 / One and controls everything released on it?

Who owns Wii / Wii U and controls everything released on it?

The entire console market is controlled by 3 companies and each own and monopolize their own platform.

Now tell me who exactly monopolizes the PC market? Is it the developers who make far more profit per unit sold because they don't have to give a huge cut to Sony, MS or Nintendo but still manage to release games capable of running the multitude of potential hardware configurations available? Or perhaps it's AMD, Intel or Nvidia who release their reference boards to third party manufacturers for commercial development and release? Of course it could be the third party manufacturers who, as well as releasing their own versions of AMD and Nvidia's graphics cards and AMD and Intel's motherboards, design and build their own add on cards for the near infinite uses of a PC.

The only restricted choice in the commercial PC market are CPU's in which you only have Intel and AMD's offerings to choose from, though there are multiple versions from both to choose from.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Cranler

@Jankarcop said:

@Cranler said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

Skyrim sold better on PC

and so on .

Also remember BF 3 is completely gimped on console.

It feels this way for nearly all multiplats after playing them on PC. Going from 60 to 20 fps is harsh.

More so with BF 3 since it's 24 players. BF 4 usually has more players on next gen consoles than pc.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@naz99 said:

@aroxx_ab said:

Piracy has been on the PC for 30 years (as it is with any open platform) and it never killed it, now we have digital downloads to compete with it, piracy is less of a problem than ever, but you fanboys like to drag it up because you lack any reasonable and remotely solid arguments. :(

it is the developers that bring it up so yeah it seem to be a problem and console version sells more of most multiplats. Thats why you have to wait for GTA V on pc...

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Cranler

@GarGx1 said:

@Cranler said:

@04dcarraher said:

Consoles aren't monopolized? Are you mad?

Who owns Playstation 3 / 4 and controls everything released on it?

Who owns Xbox 360 / One and controls everything released on it?

Who owns Wii / Wii U and controls everything released on it?

The entire console market is controlled by 3 companies and each own and monopolize their own platform.

Now tell me who exactly monopolizes the PC market? Is it the developers who make far more profit per unit sold because they don't have to give a huge cut to Sony, MS or Nintendo but still manage to release games capable of running the multitude of potential hardware configurations available? Or perhaps it's AMD, Intel or Nvidia who release their reference boards to third party manufacturers for commercial development and release? Of course it could be the third party manufacturers who, as well as releasing their own versions of AMD and Nvidia's graphics cards and AMD and Intel's motherboards, design and build their own add on cards for the near infinite uses of a PC.

The only restricted choice in the commercial PC market are CPU's in which you only have Intel and AMD's offerings to choose from, though there are multiple versions from both to choose from.

If you want to game on consoles you have the choice between MS, Sony and Nintendo. You aren't forced into one company. Hence, not monopolized.

With computer gaming it's pc or nothing. PC is synonymous with Windows. Mac and Linux simply aren't viable options since most games support neither. MS basically has a monopoly on pc gaming since all games are designed to run on Windows.

So when people put forth the argument that comparing all consoles to pc is unfair then you could say well what if Mac and Linux were as popular as pc for gaming? Pc gaming numbers would be cut by 2/3rds if that were the case.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#92 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

I think it's because PC gamers, myself included, are spoiled by Steam's christmas sales, along with the Christmas-in-July sales, and will instead hold onto their money for those sales.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

lowest common denominator. thats why.

case in point: pop music.

/thread

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:

@naz99 said:

@aroxx_ab said:

it is the developers that bring it up so yeah it seem to be a problem and console version sells more of most multiplats. Thats why you have to wait for GTA V on pc...

A handfull of the hundreds of devs talking about it does not equal all devs....and GTA gets delayed so they can get people to double dip on the game...why have somebody buy it once when you can get them to buy it twice.

All of what you say is your own opinion and not rooted in fact.

Oh and provide proof of those multiplat sales numbers while you are at it or that too becomes another opinion.

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts

@naz99 said:

@aroxx_ab said:

@naz99 said:

@aroxx_ab said:

A handfull of the hundreds of devs talking about it does not equal all devs....and GTA gets delayed so they can get people to double dip on the game...why have somebody buy it once when you can get them to buy it twice.

All of what you say is your own opinion and not rooted in fact.

The consolites still avoid the digital sales....

If they get added then:

psx_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 psx_warrior
Member since 2006 • 1757 Posts

@GarGx1 said:

Digital sales are never included in these reports. Very few people buy hard copy PC games these days.

That's sad too. I bought the Galactic Edition of Spore which included a lot of stuff along with the game. While I love the ease of being able to Download Skyrim from Steam at will if I uninstalled it at will for whatever reason, having a collectible hard copy like that is great.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

More people game on consoles & piracy.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points