Why do pc cemtric titles now sell more on consoles?

• 126 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by uninspiredcup (7811 posts) 6 months, 15 days ago

Poll: Why do pc cemtric titles now sell more on consoles? (65 votes)

Piracy 34%
High system req 11%
Casual gamings 15%
Some other reason (explain) 40%

UK chart: Thief steals top spot

The Thief series. The Shock series. The Fear Series. The Fallout Series. The Elder Scrolls Series. The Dues Ex Series. The Call Of Duty Series. The Crysis Series. The FarCry Series. The Dragon Age Series.

Really my friends, it's almost an endless list. PC originated titles, many of which considered he foundation the Holy Grail of the platform. Now, seeing 2X/3X/4X/5X/10X + the sales on consoles,. Built for consoles, for console gamers.

It's dignity being given.

Why is this the reality now? It seems odd pc gamers can dish out $500 on a graphics card but not manage to pay $40 for a game. Regardless, most games aren't that demanding to begin with.

Ignoring the shame and embarrassment, why is this happening?

#1 Edited by kinectthedots (1613 posts) -

Because, generally people who want to play video games buy consoles...duh.

also: pirate

#2 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4400 posts) -

munny

#3 Edited by HalcyonScarlet (4030 posts) -

When they make the games multiplat at launch, they aren't really PC centric anymore, they change them and make them more arcade in some cases.

Crysis 2 and 3 plays completely different from Crysis 1, they couldn't be more different. 2 and 3 are a cross between Halo and CoD.

I like both Crysis and Crysis 2, but for completely different reasons.

#4 Edited by CrashNBurn281 (391 posts) -

While the pc is a beast that can not be equaled when it comes to power, it also comes with a price tag that can not be matched.

If you want to get a computer to run games to their maximum potential, it is going to cost you.

Another great plus with pcs is they can do just about anything.

#5 Posted by Mr-Kutaragi (1926 posts) -

When they make the games multiplat at launch, they aren't really PC centric anymore, they change them and make them more arcade in some cases.

Crysis 2 and 3 plays completely different from Crysis 1, they couldn't be more different. 2 and 3 are a cross between Halo and CoD.

I like both Crysis and Crysis 2, but for completely different reasons.

Farcry 3 more like Crysis than Crysis sequel.

#6 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3362 posts) -

None of those titles are Pc centric anymore.

#7 Edited by adamosmaki (9448 posts) -

Where exactly in your link it says it they sold more on consoles. Some sell more on consoles some more on pc ( unless you talk about consoles combined )

Portal series sold more on pc ( according to Valve ) and if i have to guess battlefield series as well ( considering on bf4stats pc usually has the highest amount of players as well the highest peak ) and i highly highly doubt Witcher or a game like Metro sold more on consoles

Let alone the much larger variety on pc . Some people play only MMO or other only play moba's etc

#8 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16296 posts) -

You forgot about GTA. It started on PC once, and now Rockstar doesn't care about PC gaming anymore.

"It seems odd pc gamers can dish out $500 on a graphics card but not manage to pay $40 for a game. Regardless, most games aren't that demanding to begin with."

Not really odd at all. There is just way more choice on PC when it comes to games. When a game releases on PC it has to compete against a library spanning decades of games. When a game releases on Xbone/PS4 it only has to compete against a few dozen games.

#9 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

Piracy is the answer...but I also imagine its cause less and less folks are PC gaming cause it doesn't have the games they want. They're all on consoles and they're tired of begging for ports.

#10 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150301 posts) -

While the pc is a beast that can not be equaled when it comes to power, it also comes with a price tag that can not be matched.

If you want to get a computer to run games to their maximum potential, it is going to cost you.

Another great plus with pcs is they can do just about anything.

But it's not necessary to spend a lot of money to get a PC that can play games.

#11 Edited by jake44 (1960 posts) -

@xboxdone74 said:

Piracy is the answer...but I also imagine its cause less and less folks are PC gaming cause it doesn't have the games they want. They're all on consoles and they're tired of begging for ports.

So much wrong...brain hurts

#12 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (15915 posts) -

The real PC-centric titles I know are flight sims and strategy. These were the original pc-centric genres before FPS games appeared.

They still are pc-centric:

FSX, DCS-series, X-Plane..... The latter is also on tablets. But, I doubt serious flight simmers would play X-plane on a tablet.

#13 Posted by NFJSupreme (5150 posts) -

can't have a discussion with no link.

#14 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

@jake44: so much denial, it's actually killing off puppies .

#15 Posted by jake44 (1960 posts) -

@xboxdone74: Nah, I'm just not a fanboy of anything so I can see the truth.

#16 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27383 posts) -

Its had bad reviews and while there have been tons of games released on PC lately there's been bugger all on consoles and PC gamers seem less inclined to buy @ launch, partially because they all have huge backlogs and partially because they'd rather wait for a sale.

#17 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16296 posts) -

Its had bad reviews and while there have been tons of games released on PC lately there's been bugger all on consoles and PC gamers seem less inclined to buy @ launch, partially because they all have huge backlogs and partially because they'd rather wait for a sale.

Yup, it's been proven before that console games sell huge at launch and then sales die out

While PC games sell less at launch but continue to sell over a longer period of time

#18 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

Because, generally people who want to play video games buy consoles...duh.

also: pirate

how did you not read what he wrote?

#19 Edited by Shielder7 (5151 posts) -

Where is an "All of the Above" option? Once AAA publishers get a taste of the Console market they're hooked look at cd projekt red they're hooked and they're never going back to PC exclusive.

#20 Posted by adamosmaki (9448 posts) -

Where is an "All of the Above" option? Once AAA publishers get a taste of the Console market they're hooked look at cd projekt red they're hooked and they're never going back to PC exclusive.

I guess like the souls games? Its been a while since a console exclusive AAA game

#21 Edited by Kinthalis (5305 posts) -

So OP starts with baseless assertion and then the train derails from there...

Not unexpected.

Crysis 1 and expansion sold more than Crysis 2 console did, we don't even know what the actual sales breakdown of Thief is and I'm pretty sure Draogn age did justa s well on PC as consoles.

So already several errors.

#22 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27383 posts) -

@Kinthalis: Well it is an uninspired cup thread.

#23 Posted by Motokid6 (5235 posts) -

Nope. Not gonna bite this time.

#24 Edited by uninspiredcup (7811 posts) -

@Kinthalis said:

Crysis 1 and expansion sold more than Crysis 2 console did, we don't even know what the actual sales breakdown of Thief is and I'm pretty sure Draogn age did justa s well on PC as consoles.

This can easily be explained by Halo, Killzone, Call Of Duty e.t.c... Crysis was the last AAA shooter the pc had. They had nothing else to buy, By contrast, the competition is much higher on consoles and now the home of FPS.

Simply explained my friend.

Of course, Cryteks reasoning is even more simple.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/04/30/crytek-turns-back-on-pc-exclusivity-cites-piracy/

Poll results from you, the people, seem to indicate most agree, even with pc fanatics voting for anything but the obvious.

#25 Edited by Kinthalis (5305 posts) -

Ok, so your original premise is incorrect, right? We can agree on that? SOME games sell more on PC and SOME sell more on consoles.

Now, why is that? Well, a number of factors are likely responsible. Some games have more competition in one platform vs the other. Some are either better enjoyed in one platform over the other, or are simply better received by that platform's audience (COD and "cinematic, guided" experience games on consoles vs Strategy and deep RPG's, games with complex puzzle elements, etc on PC). Some games have hundred million dollar marketing campaigns that attract a LOT of more mainstream gamers - and that's a fight the PC can't win. PC gamers tend to be game hobbyists.

Not sure what you're point is though, OP.

Publishers don't care that a game sells 2x more on a console VS a PC, so long as the PC brings in lots of profit too. A digital PC game sale (which accounts for 80% or so of PC game sales) brings in 2-3 times more PROFIT than a console retial sale (which accounts for the majority of console sales). If the publihers weren't makign money on PC - they wouldn't release any games on PC. Look at what's happening to the Wii-U for example. Now THAT's a failed platform.

Regardless, again,I'm not so sure I understand the poin you're tryign to make. Does selling more units of Elderscrolls on consoles, somehow make the console version better than the PC one? More fun? I don't think so. It certinaly doesn't make the PS3 version any less of a piece of $hit, and I'll take my modded, looks better than most "next gen" games Skyrim PC version over any $hitty console version any day of the week ;)

I don't understand whya GAMER would care about sales figures, unless you own stock or something? Do you PLAY the sales figures or the GAMES?

#26 Edited by uninspiredcup (7811 posts) -

That rant just seems bias.

#27 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

Where's a link to the sales numbers?

#28 Posted by Wasdie (49621 posts) -

Well the console market is far larger than the PC market. When those PC games came out they were catered towards older audience that primarily existed on the PC. Furthermore then PC market has always been a fraction of the console market. The difference between the 90s and today is that the average of of console owners has increased greatly and the number of consoles on the market has exploded. When you have that much larger of a market you'll see more sales.

There is also the issue of sales reporting. Digital sales do not get reported as well as physical copies. The majority of the western PC market has moved to digital sales.

The markets have changed. Comparing sales today to sales 20 years ago is to completely ignore these drastic changes that have happened. Back 20 years ago a game on the PC needed to only sell a fraction of what they did today. Development costs were tiny by comparison, teams were smaller, and tech was cheaper. You could have successful games that sold under one hundred thousand. Today that's not enough to support a studio.

It's really a moot point. Total sales numbers don't matter. As long as the platform is profitable games will be made for it.

#29 Posted by lostrib (34331 posts) -

I don't know, comparing two platforms to one seems like a big reason. Also digital vs retail sales

#30 Edited by McStrongfast (4263 posts) -

Do they? Are they? That Thief link doesn't cite platforms and only applies to UK first week sales. Which puts into question the legitimacy of these other examples you present without even a source that does not back up your premise.

#31 Edited by TheFadeForever (1700 posts) -
@uninspiredcup said:

@Kinthalis said:

This can easily be explained by Halo, Killzone, Call Of Duty e.t.c... Crysis was the last AAA shooter the pc had. They had nothing else to buy, By contrast, the competition is much higher on consoles and now the home of FPS.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/04/30/crytek-turns-back-on-pc-exclusivity-cites-piracy/

Poll results from you, the people, seem to indicate most agree, even with pc fanatics voting for anything but the obvious.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2008/08/19/gc-2008-crysis-cost-22-million-to-make

"CEO and President of game developer Crytek said Crysis cost 15 million Euros (22 million USD) to develop during a panel about the future of gaming graphics at the Games Convention Developers Conference in Leipzig, Germany. Yet despite the cost, Yerli maintained the game was profitable, adding, "if it wasn't profitable I wouldn't be able to stand here."

They also bought a studio at that time and the fact that you post a link that has no sales numbers for any platforms means your thread is pretty pointless/

#32 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (6365 posts) -

well TC you might want to check the bloody retail point of your opening post. Most PC games are sold digital 70+% if the wise men WHO knows nombers claim, much unlike console, so go figure why pc games rarely reach the top of retail numbers *sigh* stupidity is amazing here sometimes.

#33 Edited by Jankarcop (8976 posts) -

@xboxdone74 said:

PC currently has more gamers and more aaa-aa titles not including indy games. It's the only bastion of hardcore and/or competitive gaming. It has more genres. It has more devs. All multiplats are better on it, including the ones listed by the OP. Facts.

#34 Posted by Jankarcop (8976 posts) -
#35 Edited by Krelian-co (10365 posts) -

@Jankarcop said:

@xboxdone74 said:

PC currently has more gamers and more aaa-aa titles not including indy games.

modern titles, not 10 year old games, the only thing pc really has going on are moba and mmos games, which have a lot of players but aren't particularly appealing to most people.

#36 Edited by Jankarcop (8976 posts) -

@Krelian-co said:

@Jankarcop said:

@xboxdone74 said:

PC currently has more gamers and more aaa-aa titles not including indy games.

modern titles, not 10 year old games, the only thing pc really has going on are moba and mmos games, which have a lot of players but aren't particularly appealing to most people.

1. I'm only including the last gen.

2. Link? Why would the 2 most played genres (and then some) on the planet not be appealing to most people when numbers suggest they are more appealing than all other genres......I'll wait for a link because that was an outlandish claim.

3. Outside of moba and mmos pc had 100's of AAA-AA games. Look up the 2 SW spreadsheets. RTS, Sim, FPS, WRPG, TPS, a better version nearly every multiplat. (Are you saying multiplats are only moba/mmo?)

#37 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (6973 posts) -

The PC recently got a AAE on this site (Banished) and nobody bothered to even make a thread. Why? Well, when it happens every week, people just stop noticing.

#38 Posted by glez13 (8668 posts) -

The Caribbean is to blame.

#39 Edited by 04dcarraher (19232 posts) -

Why do consoler's need to take all console numbers to compare against pc?

Why do consoler's ignore digital sales?

Why do consoler's ignore the fact that pc gaming produces more profit then console gaming?

Many of the those games suffered from the casualzation hammer

Quality,detail and uniqueness of those series went out the window when they change to many aspects to fit "the crowd".

Just because every kid and mindless drone goes out a buys the next "big hit" that's been advertized and hyped, is because that is all they know and that's why game sales plummet after the mass rush the first few weeks. They Beat em and resell them.

#40 Edited by pelvist (4625 posts) -

Digital sales arent counted, and personally I dont know anyone who buys PC games retail any more apart from a few occasions where orderingoff Amazon may be cheaper. PC games also sell more over a longer period of time even after the sales figures are published publicly.

Whats more many multi plat games today are purposely delayed for PC in order sell more on consoles, during this delay period potential sales on the PC are lost because people who cant wait are buying the console version, bad reviews before the PC version hinder the sales on PC or much of the hype has died down by the time its released for PC.

#41 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

can't have a discussion with no link.

#42 Posted by Alucard_Prime (2729 posts) -

Interesting thread, I'm not a PC gamer but I used to be one(in the Days of Diablo2). It is my general impression, although likely flawed, that PC games are usually more for the hardcore type of gamer, but also aimed at the more intelligent kind of gamer. Basically, I find PC games a bit more complexe than your average console game. A PC game usually will not compromise that aspect too much to get more sales, but we see this happen all the time in the console world(sequels getting dumbed down or streamlined to appeal to a bigger audience which includes more casuals). Now I'm not implying that casuals are not intelligent, however they are more intimidated by a complexe game and have a more "pick up and play" nature. Usually games are made more accessible when they are ported to consoles, and perhaps that explains part of why they can find more success on the console.

Now the other thing I wanted to mention, and this comes from my experience playing Diablo 3 on consoles last year, is that late ports of PC games can sometimes be very well polished compared to Day 1 releases on consoles. Clearly Diablo 3, when it was released on consoles, was not a game that was just released. It had no glitches or bugs whatsoever(none that I could see anyways), and the game ran flawlessly. I love the portal mechanic, and how you can just create one in the heat of battle, go to town, and then teleport back to where your friends are by clicking on their emblem in town.....and it all worked flawlessly for me, I cannot remember 1 time the game crashed, and it was clearly a step up from other console games in terms of performance. The main reason for this, I believe, is because the game was already out on PC the year before, and so BLizzard had lots of time to polish the game and work out all the day 1 glitches and so on.

#43 Posted by IgGy621985 (4624 posts) -

@Kinthalis said:

It's probably less about piracy, and more about the pure fact that games simply sell more on consoles.

Also, I think the quote on the site is from my interview with Cevat :-P Not sure. Our site is dead, so I can't link to it.

#45 Edited by Cobra_nVidia (1439 posts) -

"The Thief series. The Shock series. The Fear Series. The Fallout Series. The Elder Scrolls Series. The Dues Ex Series. The Call Of Duty Series. The Crysis Series. The FarCry Series. The Dragon Age Series."

My friend, the wonderful thing about the PC is that you just listed a bunch of random games that used to be exclusive on PC, not the "exclusives" that define the "platform".

And I would hardly call Dragon Age PC-centric, since was developed by someone who had previously released an XBOX 360 exclusive (Mass Effect) that ended up back on PC.

Strategy, Space Sims, and Building games are PC centric. Even Ubisoft, which treats PC gamers like criminals, bought the Heroes of Might and Magic series, and haven't released a single console version. Why did Ubisoft - one of the worst publishers in the industry - buy one of my favourite PC game series? I don't know, it certainly doesn't make sense. Maybe in a previous life I used to microwave puppies... and this is my punishment.

Also, some of my very favourite games are multi-platform. While I probably spend most of my time in the Sims, Simcity, Guild Wars, X-3: Reunion, and various strategy games, I do love Saint's Row, Skyrim, Mass Effect, and lots of Star Wars games.

(And I mean, after hearing that Oblivion was "consolized" compared to Morrowind, I did install morrowind thinking I could map my spells to hotkeys like in most RPGs. BOY WAS I SURPRISED. I don't mind reading about strategy and tactics, I DO MIND reading vague directions and lots of dialogue.)

#46 Edited by Cloud_imperium (2505 posts) -

PC Centric games always sell better on PC itself . Even multiplatform dumbed down games sometimes sell better on PC . Alan Wake anyone .?

Portal 2 sold better on PC

Skyrim sold better on PC

Alan Wake Sold better on PC

Witcher 2 sold better on PC

Payday 2 sold better on PC

Battlefield 3 sold better on PC

Diablo 3 sold better on PC

and so on .

Saying the games doesn't sell better on PC is ignorant and childish at best . And those are just retail numbers , most of the profit comes from digital sales and companies doesn't share it .

#47 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6973 posts) -

Seriously, though, when there are quality games dropping every week that don't come to the consoles, you just have to expect those games to take away some of the sales of the crappy AAA blockbuster multiplat games that sell better on consoles.

#48 Posted by IgGy621985 (4624 posts) -

PC Centric games always sell better on PC itself . Even multiplatform dumbed down games sometimes sell better on PC . Alan Wake anyone .?

Skyrim sold better on PC

and so on .

Saying the games doesn't sell better on PC is ignorant and childish at best . And those are just retail numbers , most of the profit comes from digital sales and companies doesn't share it .

I'm pretty sure Skyrim didn't sell better on PC.

#49 Posted by blamix99 (1674 posts) -

Skyrim sold better on PC

and so on .

LOL.. prove it, cause in your list only Witcher 2 and Diablo 3 leads on PC. the rest sold better on consoles

#50 Edited by TheFadeForever (1700 posts) -

@blamix99:

Valve said Portal 2 sold better on pc