Which is best RE amongst RE HD or RE 4 HD?

• 97 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Will be buying RE HD soon, so far RE 4 HD was epic awesome also.

What you say warriors ? :)

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@indzman said:

Say what you want about how dated the original Resident Evil formula is and how amazing Resident Evil 4 is (it isn't). In 10 years, Resident Evil Remake is going to be as classic as it is now and unique, while Resident Evil 4 will be redundant even further as everything it strived for has been perfected to hell and back.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Man, I was hyped to play RE HD, it had been so long since I played REmake on the Gamecube.... then I played it at a friends house last night. Crushed my rose tinted shades, I just can't truck through that game again.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ConanTheStoner

@Salt_The_Fries said:

while Resident Evil 4 will be redundant even further as everything it strived for has been perfected to hell and back.

If you're breaking it down into its individual components, then sure. As a complete package, I highly doubt it.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

If you have never played any of the original Resident Evil games before you probabily wont like it, if your a fan of at least one of the original games you'll love it

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Salt_The_Fries

@ConanTheStoner said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

while Resident Evil 4 will be redundant even further as everything it strived for has been perfected to hell and back.

If you're breaking it down into its individual components, then sure. As a complete package, I highly doubt it.

It had a shit story and even worse characters. Especially Wesker. At least REmake changed it tone from cheesy camp to a respectably crafted (not inspired) horror and made it consistent throughout.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ConanTheStoner

@Salt_The_Fries:

Well yeah man, the story and characters are ridiculous haha. Not going to argue with you there.

Thing is, it's a very well designed game, fun to play, and has lots of content. To me, that makes it a winner.

I'm not arguing that RE4 is a good horror game by any means, it's a cheesy action title and a damn good one.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Would make the case for Revelations, but that's more for its atmosphere and how it's a fun TPS on the 3DS. It lacks in comparison to 4 though, other than Revelations paces itself towards its end better.

Also Revelations might have the best cheesy dialogue. Jill sandwiches are cool and everything out of Leon S. Kennedy's mouth is awesome, but which other game has Chris Redfield in front of some giant monster claiming he "feels like he has a giant disco ball in front of his face?"

Priceless.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Salt_The_Fries

@ConanTheStoner said:

@Salt_The_Fries:

Well yeah man, the story and characters are ridiculous haha. Not going to argue with you there.

Thing is, it's a very well designed game, fun to play, and has lots of content. To me, that makes it a winner.

I'm not arguing that RE4 is a good horror game by any means, it's a cheesy action title and a damn good one.

It was a 7/10 game for its time when I first played it, definetly the best out of all Resident Evil games that followed, but imagine how can I feel now about a game which I deemed 7/10 a decade ago. And a game that ruined one of my favourite video game series nonetheless :|

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#10  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts
@indzman said:

Neither. Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition is still the best in the series. And if you want to play it in HD, just run the Wii Edition on Dolphin, with HD texture packs (and ENB and SweetFX shaders, if you want), and it will look better than all the HD Editions (all of which still lack the lighting effects of the GameCube and Wii versions). But if that's too much hassle, then I guess you could just get RE4 HD, although it won't be the definitive experience.

On the other hand, REmaster is most definitely the definitive version of RE1 available, especially the PC version. In that sense, I think REmaster is more valuable than RE4 HD, even if RE4 HD is the overall better game.

@Salt_The_Fries said:
@ConanTheStoner said:
@Salt_The_Fries said:

It had a shit story and even worse characters. Especially Wesker. At least REmake changed it tone from cheesy camp to a respectably crafted (not inspired) horror and made it consistent throughout.

So the reason you hated it was because of the story and characters? That makes no sense. What makes Resident Evil 4 one of the greatest games of all time is its solid gameplay, not its story or characters.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 indzman

@thehig1 said:

If you have never played any of the original Resident Evil games before you probabily wont like it, if your a fan of at least one of the original games you'll love it

Played RE Directors cut before, but haven't played the enhanced GC version ( which is HD now ) :)

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 indzman

@Jag85 said:
@indzman said:

Neither. Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition is still the best in the series. And if you want to play it in HD, just run the Wii Edition on Dolphin, with HD texture packs (and ENB and SweetFX shaders, if you want), and it will look better than all the HD Editions (all of which still lack the lighting effects of the GameCube and Wii versions). But if that's too much hassle, then I guess you could just get RE4 HD, although it won't be the definitive experience.

On the other hand, REmaster is most definitely the definitive version of RE1 available, especially the PC version. In that sense, I think REmaster is more valuable than RE4 HD, even if RE4 HD is the overall better game.

Thanks. I already got RE 4 HD on steam, will look into RE 4 Wii version emaluator :)

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Salt_The_Fries
@Jag85 said:
@indzman said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:
@ConanTheStoner said:
@Salt_The_Fries said:

So the reason you hated it was because of the story and characters? That makes no sense. What makes Resident Evil 4 one of the greatest games of all time is its solid gameplay, not its story or characters.

No, I didn't like its gameplay that much in the first place. Shit story and characters are the reasons why I hate it as an overall package.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jag85

Yeah, like Resident Evil ever had good story and characters to begin with.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ConanTheStoner

@Salt_The_Fries:

Eh.. I'm not gonna do this same old dance. You're in the camp that will forever hate the game for its drastic change in direction. And trust me I get it, they really could have just made a new IP and kept RE on the same old path.

However, that's not what happened. I just appreciate the game for what it is. It may have ultimately killed a series, but the game itself was beast.

7/10 for its time? lulz. I still find it to be one of the better games I've played. Maybe you're just not into action games?

Anyways. Opinions/10

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ConanTheStoner

@Jag85 said:

Haha yeah, that too. It's always been a bunch of cheese dicks running around in a nonsensical plot.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jag85

@indzman said:

@Jag85 said:
@indzman said:

Thanks. I already got RE 4 HD on steam, will look into RE 4 Wii version emaluator :)

I'd highly recommend it. The only problem is that getting it to run on Dolphin with HD texture packs might require quite a bit of effort, like downloading the texture packs, using the right settings on Dolphin, etc. It's not as simple as just running it off Steam.

By the way, have you already completed RE4 HD? If so, then you might want to try REmaster, if you've never played it before.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 indzman

@Jag85 said:

@indzman said:

@Jag85 said:
@indzman said:

I'd highly recommend it. The only problem is that getting it to run on Dolphin with HD texture packs might require quite a bit of effort, like downloading the texture packs, using the right settings on Dolphin, etc. It's not as simple as just running it off Steam.

By the way, have you already completed RE4 HD? If so, then you might want to try REmaster, if you've never played it before.

I've got 100 % steam acheivements on RE 4 HD ( Big fan of RE 4 ) HeHe. I played RE Directors cut, but never played the GC version. Thinking to buy it soon :)

And thanks again for your suggestions , i'll definately look into it :)

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

I liked RE4 remake more, though RE Remastered is good too.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#20 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

Just played through both recently and RE4 holds up better than REmake. REmake's issue is there's way too much backtracking through quiet hallways. Note that I said "quiet", no "disquietening" as there's little tension because so rarely is a spanner thrown in the works in the form of an unexpected enemy (and enemies are the only threat you face in the game. No environmental hazards).

The backtracking isn't the Metroid-kind whereby you can move through old areas with new found easy thanks to a power-up, or access loads of new areas: it's literally moving back and forth between A and B to unload the huge number of expendable items you pick up. Unless you are new to survival horror REmake throws too many items your way, making item management (and the dull backtracking that comes with it) a chore.

And this is on the toughest of the 3 difficulty levels available at the outset (which I think corresponds to Normal).

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#21 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

I'd highly suggest going back and playing REmake. It wasn't the straight-up solid acting I remembered it being, that's for sure. It's loaded with weird enunciation and strange redundant dialogue ("Look out! It's a monster!") that makes it hard to tell if it's intentionally cheesy or not. RE4 on the otherhand feels more intentionally tongue-in-cheek thanks to all the one-liners and quipping.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Resident Evil 4 is the greatest third person shooter period. Was back when it launched, is right now a decade after it has released, will be better than the rest of that genre for the next decade. The gameplay is divine as it is more varied than any tps, and from a pacing standpoint no shooter comes close.

Remake is a damn good survival horror game, and I get the appeal some have for it over 4, but it's far more tedious as an experience, less satisfying on a mechanical level, and nowhere near as consistent in terms of its highs. Plus Resident Evil, is, was, and will always be outclassed by better and actual pure horror games ala Silent Hill 2 or recent games like Amnesia.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Salt_The_Fries

@ConanTheStoner said:

@Jag85 said:

Haha yeah, that too. It's always been a bunch of cheese dicks running around in a nonsensical plot.

REmake has a respectable plot. And at least Resident Evil 2 threw some human drama to the forefront. And besides, the lore in RE 1-3 was decent for its time. That's right, the lore.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Salt_The_Fries

@jg4xchamp said:

Resident Evil 4 is the greatest third person shooter period. Was back when it launched, is right now a decade after it has released, will be better than the rest of that genre for the next decade. The gameplay is divine as it is more varied than any tps, and from a pacing standpoint no shooter comes close.

Remake is a damn good survival horror game, and I get the appeal some have for it over 4, but it's far more tedious as an experience, less satisfying on a mechanical level, and nowhere near as consistent in terms of its highs. Plus Resident Evil, is, was, and will always be outclassed by better and actual pure horror games ala Silent Hill 2 or recent games like Amnesia.

That's why video games are shit in the end and I feel so limited on this board confined to talking about them and them exclusively. Good art doesn't have to be easily digestible.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jg4xchamp

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

REmake has a respectable plot.

No, the **** it doesn't.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

RE HD. RE4 was the start of the rot for the franchise.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Salt_The_Fries

@jg4xchamp said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

REmake has a respectable plot.

No, the **** it doesn't.

Look, I don't think there are any good plots in video games, period (I hope it registers). One of the best ones in last generation for me was a pale version of Big Sleep, that is LA Noire.

For this kind of a video game, and especially this series, I would say REmake is quite okay for what it is, especially compared to the other games in RE franchise.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 indzman

@jg4xchamp said:

Agree completely :)

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

The one with Co-Op

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 indzman

@Lulu_Lulu said:

The one with Co-Op

RE 5 and 6 only got co op. what r u saying Lulu_LuLu =P

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Lulu_Lulu

@indzman:

I'm saying President Evil Revelations 2 is coming Soon..... why rebuy and replay old games

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 indzman

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@indzman:

I'm saying President Evil Revelations 2 is coming Soon..... why rebuy and replay old games

When this Resident Evil became president ???

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jg4xchamp

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@jg4xchamp said:

That's why video games are shit in the end and I feel so limited on this board confined to talking about them and them exclusively. Good art doesn't have to be easily digestible.

A: you're talking art on system wars

B: if it needs to be pointed how douchy it sounds when you say "good art doesn't have to be easily digestible" or "i feel so limited on this board confined", then you need some perspective. Especially since you sound like a whiny little brat because someone didn't agree with you.

Now as for remake v RE4, my beef with Remake has nothing to do with its perceived complexity or any of that. The game is just more tedious, it gives the illusion of a marriage between setting/context and gameplay, but ultimately creates an experience that isn't tense (you know something you want from a horror game) or all that exciting. Metroid does a whole lot of back tracking, Metroid is also far more sophisticated as a game in building it's world and playing to the players genuine reactions/emotions as opposed to the ones perceived by Samus. REmake is built around the struggle for Jill/Chris, but the player? all they are going to get is running through a bunch of empty halls, running back and forth to their item crate box, so they can arbitrarily put two pieces together that the game thinks are a puzzle.

Alien Isolation (a game i know you dick ride) does the whole using the setting/context to justify backtracking significantly better, it doesn't become tedious until the game goes for an entire second half where the game no longer had a new idea to show for its mechanics. Isolation's failure is that of poor pacing from going on way longer than they should have, REmake is inherently a design decision. One of its best strengths also happens to be one of it's biggest short comings. That's the catch 22 with making a game like RE1.

Resident Evil 4 isn't apologetic about what it is. A straight forward action game with a horror paint job for the sake of adding atmosphere and justifying it's white knuckle action. It's artistry comes from sheer craftsmenship. Any superficial knock- such inability to move n shoot is entirely overruled by the fact that every idea in that game is built around this limitation, and every scenario tests the player to handle this limitation and work with the tools given to them. As an action game few games would be worthy enough for Resident Evil 4 to spit on them in terms of how many gameplay ideas Mikami and his team came up with for those mechanics, or how well paced it is from start to finish.

Resident Evil 4 doesn't have anything to say, nor should it necessarily. But it's about as much as deserving of being called art in this medium, as something like Super Mario Galaxy 2 or Super Metroid. Because the sheer craftsmenship of a game and how a game plays to player expectations is just as effective as some lame attempt at trying to tell some third rate film plot that intrudes on a video game.

Plus I sure as hell don't subscribe to the notion that a video game needs to tell a story to be considered art.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lulu_Lulu

@indzman:

I don't know.... thats just hpw I say it.... President Evil.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 indzman

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@indzman:

I don't know.... thats just hpw I say it.... President Evil.

Heh

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Salt_The_Fries

@jg4xchamp said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@jg4xchamp said:

A: you're talking art on system wars

B: if it needs to be pointed how douchy it sounds when you say "good art doesn't have to be easily digestible" or "i feel so limited on this board confined", then you need some perspective. Especially since you sound like a whiny little brat because someone didn't agree with you.

Now as for remake v RE4, my beef with Remake has nothing to do with its perceived complexity or any of that. The game is just more tedious, it gives the illusion of a marriage between setting/context and gameplay, but ultimately creates an experience that isn't tense (you know something you want from a horror game) or all that exciting. Metroid does a whole lot of back tracking, Metroid is also far more sophisticated as a game in building it's world and playing to the players genuine reactions/emotions as opposed to the ones perceived by Samus. REmake is built around the struggle for Jill/Chris, but the player? all they are going to get is running through a bunch of empty halls, running back and forth to their item crate box, so they can arbitrarily put two pieces together that the game thinks are a puzzle.

Alien Isolation (a game i know you dick ride) does the whole using the setting/context to justify backtracking significantly better, it doesn't become tedious until the game goes for an entire second half where the game no longer had a new idea to show for its mechanics. Isolation's failure is that of poor pacing from going on way longer than they should have, REmake is inherently a design decision. One of its best strengths also happens to be one of it's biggest short comings. That's the catch 22 with making a game like RE1.

Resident Evil 4 isn't apologetic about what it is. A straight forward action game with a horror paint job for the sake of adding atmosphere and justifying it's white knuckle action. It's artistry comes from sheer craftsmenship. Any superficial knock- such inability to move n shoot is entirely overruled by the fact that every idea in that game is built around this limitation, and every scenario tests the player to handle this limitation and work with the tools given to them. As an action game few games would be worthy enough for Resident Evil 4 to spit on them in terms of how many gameplay ideas Mikami and his team came up with for those mechanics, or how well paced it is from start to finish.

Resident Evil 4 doesn't have anything to say, nor should it necessarily. But it's about as much as deserving of being called art in this medium, as something like Super Mario Galaxy 2 or Super Metroid. Because the sheer craftsmenship of a game and how a game plays to player expectations is just as effective as some lame attempt at trying to tell some third rate film plot that intrudes on a video game.

Plus I sure as hell don't subscribe to the notion that a video game needs to tell a story to be considered art.

Hey champ, I needed to sound "douchy" because to me you sound "douchy" every single time you post anything :) I'm telling you it in the most lighthearted way possible but at the same time it's the truth.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 thehig1

@indzman: if you liked the directors cut you'll like the remake

So enjoy

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 indzman

@thehig1 said:

@indzman: if you liked the directors cut you'll like the remake

So enjoy

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

RE4 is the best RE hands down, it's also one of the best games ever. The Order gives me some major RE4 vibes.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By thehig1

Resident 4 and Resident Evil 1 are so different there not really comparable. If you say Resident Evil 4 is far better your simply saying you prefer third person action games.

If you say you like Resident Evil 1 better then your simply saying you prefer survival horror.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 indzman

RE got better story, real survival horror. RE 4 got better gameplay and replaybility ( tons of unlockables , modes as sp campaigns including ADA ones, mercenaries )

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50557 Posts

RE, easily.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Say what you want about how dated the original Resident Evil formula is and how amazing Resident Evil 4 is (it isn't). In 10 years, Resident Evil Remake is going to be as classic as it is now and unique, while Resident Evil 4 will be redundant even further as everything it strived for has been perfected to hell and back.

SImple fact, RE4 plays very well to this day, RE1 doesn't.

Don't see how time's gonna swap them around. Shitty game mechanics don't magically become divine because, herp-derp, Time.

I breezed through RE4 HD when it came out on steam. Twice.

Playing a bit of REmake HD made me remember all the bones i've had to pick with it from way back when.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Salt_The_Fries

@R10nu said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Don't see how time's gonna swap them around. Shitty game mechanics don't magically become divine because, herp-derp, Time.

Playing a bit of REmake HD made me remember all the bones i've had to pick with it from way back when.

I'd rather play Alone in the Dark from 1993 than Resident Evil 4. There's more to games than the polish and instant gratifications.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By indzman

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@R10nu said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

I'd rather play Alone in the Dark from 1993 than Resident Evil 4. There's more to games than the polish and instant gratifications.

I seriously doubt you even played RE 4 HeHe

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Salt_The_Fries

@indzman said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@R10nu said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

I seriously doubt you even played RE 4 HeHe

There is not one Resident Evil game in the series I haven't played (actually there maybe is - Operation Raccoon City. I started on July 28, 1998 with Resident Evil 2 (German version, luckily it wasn't dubbed), then Resident Evil 1 which my friend owned and I borrowed it from him, then RE3, then Biohazard Gun Survivor, then RE4 (but on PC), then retroactively REmake and Resident Evil 0. In the meantime Resident Evil Gaiden. Then Resident Evil 5 and 6.

I also played Dino Crisis 1 & 2 to completion.

I feel deeply offended by this accusation, especially that I used to do 1:30h speedruns in Resident Evil 2.

On top of that, I've finished every single Alone in the Dark (except 3) and played BioForge, another classic in this genre.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Resident Evil 4 is the greatest game of all-time. Resident Evil HD is an okay game but there's a reason that style of game is thankfully extinct.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Salt_The_Fries

@Aljosa23 said:

Resident Evil 4 is the greatest game of all-time. Resident Evil HD is an okay game but there's a reason that style of game is thankfully extinct.

Just like there's a reason Resident Evil as a series is FUCKING EXTINCT.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

I'd rather play Alone In The Dark from 1993 than RE1.

Your point?

Clunky as it was, almost every enemy encounter in AITD needed a new approach. Not just shoot things till they fall. Also, no stupid 10 second door cutscenes, as the game loaded the whole floor. Monsters would actually chase you through doors. And to think this game came out first.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

RE4 is good shit, so that.