Which is best RE amongst RE HD or RE 4 HD?

• 97 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Resident Evil 4 is the greatest game of all-time. Resident Evil HD is an okay game but there's a reason that style of game is thankfully extinct.

Just like there's a reason Resident Evil as a series is FUCKING EXTINCT.

Sorry to bring you back from your fantasy world but Resident Evil 6 was one of Capcom's highest selling games - the series isn't going anywhere.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@indzman said:

@Jag85 said:
@indzman said:

Will be buying RE HD soon, so far RE 4 HD was epic awesome also.

What you say warriors ? :)

Neither. Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition is still the best in the series. And if you want to play it in HD, just run the Wii Edition on Dolphin, with HD texture packs (and ENB and SweetFX shaders, if you want), and it will look better than all the HD Editions (all of which still lack the lighting effects of the GameCube and Wii versions). But if that's too much hassle, then I guess you could just get RE4 HD, although it won't be the definitive experience.

On the other hand, REmaster is most definitely the definitive version of RE1 available, especially the PC version. In that sense, I think REmaster is more valuable than RE4 HD, even if RE4 HD is the overall better game.

Thanks. I already got RE 4 HD on steam, will look into RE 4 Wii version emaluator :)

You don't need to bother. Unless you want to play with the Wii controls and make the game supremely easy, just stick with the PC version. The PC version is the only version that runs at 1080p and 60 fps.

@R10nu said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Say what you want about how dated the original Resident Evil formula is and how amazing Resident Evil 4 is (it isn't). In 10 years, Resident Evil Remake is going to be as classic as it is now and unique, while Resident Evil 4 will be redundant even further as everything it strived for has been perfected to hell and back.

SImple fact, RE4 plays very well to this day, RE1 doesn't.

Don't see how time's gonna swap them around. Shitty game mechanics don't magically become divine because, herp-derp, Time.

Even at the time the old Resident Evil games did not play very well. I don't understand what is so classic about padding a game out with frustrating backtracking and inventory management. The bad camera angles only served to hurt the games atmosphere as well.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

RE4 is good shit, so that.

Coz RE 4 IS EVERYTHING just like ..... =P

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 indzman

@JangoWuzHere said:

@indzman said:

@Jag85 said:
@indzman said:

Will be buying RE HD soon, so far RE 4 HD was epic awesome also.

What you say warriors ? :)

Neither. Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition is still the best in the series. And if you want to play it in HD, just run the Wii Edition on Dolphin, with HD texture packs (and ENB and SweetFX shaders, if you want), and it will look better than all the HD Editions (all of which still lack the lighting effects of the GameCube and Wii versions). But if that's too much hassle, then I guess you could just get RE4 HD, although it won't be the definitive experience.

On the other hand, REmaster is most definitely the definitive version of RE1 available, especially the PC version. In that sense, I think REmaster is more valuable than RE4 HD, even if RE4 HD is the overall better game.

Thanks. I already got RE 4 HD on steam, will look into RE 4 Wii version emaluator :)

You don't need to bother. Unless you want to play with the Wii controls and make the game supremely easy, just stick with the PC version. The PC version is the only version that runs at 1080p and 60 fps.

Oh!

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

Man, I was hyped to play RE HD, it had been so long since I played REmake on the Gamecube.... then I played it at a friends house last night. Crushed my rose tinted shades, I just can't truck through that game again.

me personally I could play any version of RE1 and still have alot of fun. In fact 3 months ago I was playing RE directors cut for ps1 at a friends and got sorta far in it but I had to leave and stopped. It just reminds me ps1 era graphics do not age well at all and the horrible voice acting in the old games are so funny.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 indzman

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@indzman said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@R10nu said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Say what you want about how dated the original Resident Evil formula is and how amazing Resident Evil 4 is (it isn't). In 10 years, Resident Evil Remake is going to be as classic as it is now and unique, while Resident Evil 4 will be redundant even further as everything it strived for has been perfected to hell and back.

SImple fact, RE4 plays very well to this day, RE1 doesn't.

Don't see how time's gonna swap them around. Shitty game mechanics don't magically become divine because, herp-derp, Time.

I breezed through RE4 HD when it came out on steam. Twice.

Playing a bit of REmake HD made me remember all the bones i've had to pick with it from way back when.

I'd rather play Alone in the Dark from 1993 than Resident Evil 4. There's more to games than the polish and instant gratifications.

I seriously doubt you even played RE 4 HeHe

There is not one Resident Evil game in the series I haven't played (actually there maybe is - Operation Raccoon City. I started on July 28, 1998 with Resident Evil 2 (German version, luckily it wasn't dubbed), then Resident Evil 1 which my friend owned and I borrowed it from him, then RE3, then Biohazard Gun Survivor, then RE4 (but on PC), then retroactively REmake and Resident Evil 0. In the meantime Resident Evil Gaiden. Then Resident Evil 5 and 6.

I also played Dino Crisis 1 & 2 to completion.

I feel deeply offended by this accusation, especially that I used to do 1:30h speedruns in Resident Evil 2.

On top of that, I've finished every single Alone in the Dark (except 3) and played BioForge, another classic in this genre.

I still have my doubts about your claim. Most gamers or who played RE series loves RE 4 ( as you can notice already in the comments ). Only you seem to come off without enough validity

Sorry :)

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#58  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@jg4xchamp said:

A: you're talking art on system wars

B: if it needs to be pointed how douchy it sounds when you say "good art doesn't have to be easily digestible" or "i feel so limited on this board confined", then you need some perspective. Especially since you sound like a whiny little brat because someone didn't agree with you.

Now as for remake v RE4, my beef with Remake has nothing to do with its perceived complexity or any of that. The game is just more tedious, it gives the illusion of a marriage between setting/context and gameplay, but ultimately creates an experience that isn't tense (you know something you want from a horror game) or all that exciting. Metroid does a whole lot of back tracking, Metroid is also far more sophisticated as a game in building it's world and playing to the players genuine reactions/emotions as opposed to the ones perceived by Samus. REmake is built around the struggle for Jill/Chris, but the player? all they are going to get is running through a bunch of empty halls, running back and forth to their item crate box, so they can arbitrarily put two pieces together that the game thinks are a puzzle.

Alien Isolation (a game i know you dick ride) does the whole using the setting/context to justify backtracking significantly better, it doesn't become tedious until the game goes for an entire second half where the game no longer had a new idea to show for its mechanics. Isolation's failure is that of poor pacing from going on way longer than they should have, REmake is inherently a design decision. One of its best strengths also happens to be one of it's biggest short comings. That's the catch 22 with making a game like RE1.

Resident Evil 4 isn't apologetic about what it is. A straight forward action game with a horror paint job for the sake of adding atmosphere and justifying it's white knuckle action. It's artistry comes from sheer craftsmenship. Any superficial knock- such inability to move n shoot is entirely overruled by the fact that every idea in that game is built around this limitation, and every scenario tests the player to handle this limitation and work with the tools given to them. As an action game few games would be worthy enough for Resident Evil 4 to spit on them in terms of how many gameplay ideas Mikami and his team came up with for those mechanics, or how well paced it is from start to finish.

Resident Evil 4 doesn't have anything to say, nor should it necessarily. But it's about as much as deserving of being called art in this medium, as something like Super Mario Galaxy 2 or Super Metroid. Because the sheer craftsmenship of a game and how a game plays to player expectations is just as effective as some lame attempt at trying to tell some third rate film plot that intrudes on a video game.

Plus I sure as hell don't subscribe to the notion that a video game needs to tell a story to be considered art.

Hey champ, I needed to sound "douchy" because to me you sound "douchy" every single time you post anything :) I'm telling you it in the most lighthearted way possible but at the same time it's the truth.

Difference is

A: I am more than self aware of my superior douchiority complex

B: I don't argue my points with blatant ignorance. My arguments are well reasoned and logical, your shit? pure grade A bitchanomics. You are incapable of debating your points, and then put some facade about some higher appreciation for art, when you're more than cool with eating a shit sandwich.

I'm saying it in the least jive way possible, because it is the truth. :]

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@jg4xchamp said:

B: if it needs to be pointed how douchy it sounds when you say "good art doesn't have to be easily digestible" or "i feel so limited on this board confined", then you need some perspective. Especially since you sound like a whiny little brat because someone didn't agree with you.

Now as for remake v RE4, my beef with Remake has nothing to do with its perceived complexity or any of that. The game is just more tedious, it gives the illusion of a marriage between setting/context and gameplay, but ultimately creates an experience that isn't tense (you know something you want from a horror game) or all that exciting. Metroid does a whole lot of back tracking, Metroid is also far more sophisticated as a game in building it's world and playing to the players genuine reactions/emotions as opposed to the ones perceived by Samus. REmake is built around the struggle for Jill/Chris, but the player? all they are going to get is running through a bunch of empty halls, running back and forth to their item crate box, so they can arbitrarily put two pieces together that the game thinks are a puzzle.

Alien Isolation (a game i know you dick ride) does the whole using the setting/context to justify backtracking significantly better, it doesn't become tedious until the game goes for an entire second half where the game no longer had a new idea to show for its mechanics. Isolation's failure is that of poor pacing from going on way longer than they should have, REmake is inherently a design decision. One of its best strengths also happens to be one of it's biggest short comings. That's the catch 22 with making a game like RE1.

Resident Evil 4 isn't apologetic about what it is. A straight forward action game with a horror paint job for the sake of adding atmosphere and justifying it's white knuckle action. It's artistry comes from sheer craftsmenship. Any superficial knock- such inability to move n shoot is entirely overruled by the fact that every idea in that game is built around this limitation, and every scenario tests the player to handle this limitation and work with the tools given to them. As an action game few games would be worthy enough for Resident Evil 4 to spit on them in terms of how many gameplay ideas Mikami and his team came up with for those mechanics, or how well paced it is from start to finish.

Resident Evil 4 doesn't have anything to say, nor should it necessarily. But it's about as much as deserving of being called art in this medium, as something like Super Mario Galaxy 2 or Super Metroid. Because the sheer craftsmenship of a game and how a game plays to player expectations is just as effective as some lame attempt at trying to tell some third rate film plot that intrudes on a video game.

Plus I sure as hell don't subscribe to the notion that a video game needs to tell a story to be considered art.

Hey champ, I needed to sound "douchy" because to me you sound "douchy" every single time you post anything :) I'm telling you it in the most lighthearted way possible but at the same time it's the truth.

Difference is

B: I don't argue my points with blatant ignorance. My arguments are well reasoned and logical, your shit? pure grade A bitchanomics. You are incapable of debating your points, and then put some facade about some higher appreciation for art, when you're more than cool with eating a shit sandwich.

You argue your points with poor spelling, though (which also indicates that you were slightly mad at the time of the typing, but that's another story) ;)

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 indzman

@Aljosa23 said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Resident Evil 4 is the greatest game of all-time. Resident Evil HD is an okay game but there's a reason that style of game is thankfully extinct.

Just like there's a reason Resident Evil as a series is FUCKING EXTINCT.

Sorry to bring you back from your fantasy world but Resident Evil 6 was one of Capcom's highest selling games - the series isn't going anywhere.

I personally enjoyed RE 6 very much also :)

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#61 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

indzman, if you want to experience RE4 on PC again but looking better than ever, check out this site that's doing a graphical overhaul on the entire game, the work they are doing is impressive.

http://www.re4hd.com/

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 indzman

@mitu123 said:

indzman, if you want to experience RE4 on PC again but looking better than ever, check out this site that's doing a graphical overhaul on the entire game, the work they are doing is impressive.

WOW, looks impressive. Might dl this mod when i again start playing RE 4 HD. Reminds me. how far is the fanbase made RE 2 ?

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#63 happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

Resident Evil 4 is the greatest third person shooter period. Was back when it launched, is right now a decade after it has released, will be better than the rest of that genre for the next decade. The gameplay is divine as it is more varied than any tps, and from a pacing standpoint no shooter comes close.

Remake is a damn good survival horror game, and I get the appeal some have for it over 4, but it's far more tedious as an experience, less satisfying on a mechanical level, and nowhere near as consistent in terms of its highs. Plus Resident Evil, is, was, and will always be outclassed by better and actual pure horror games ala Silent Hill 2 or recent games like Amnesia.

This

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#64 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

@indzman said:

@mitu123 said:

WOW, looks impressive. Might dl this mod when i again start playing RE 4 HD. Reminds me. how far is the fanbase made RE 2 ?

It looks to be done at least on the youtube vids I saw of it but it seems the creators aren't releasing it to be downloaded for some reason.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 jg4xchamp

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Difference is

You argue your points with poor spelling, though (which also indicates that you were slightly mad at the time of the typing, but that's another story) ;)

I'd rather have shit spelling, than out right be ignorant.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#66 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

RE4, and the Wii version made it even better.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts
@jg4xchamp said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Difference is

You are so cute when you're angry, and you're angry, still.

What is ignorant about me, precisely? You seem to be taking a great pride in using this word in the context of me.

And how it is not ignorant you rather wanted to avoid the discussion about greatness of an artwork that is not reliant on its digestibility? And what about the other thread (not topic, but a thought in one of my previous texts) about the poor quality of storylines in video games in general? Instead, you reurgitated your opinion that I have seen countless times, and I have always been perfectly aware of it.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

i like the one with the least amount of backtracking

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By jg4xchamp

@Salt_The_Fries said:
@jg4xchamp said:

You are so cute when you're angry, and you're angry, still.

What is ignorant about me, precisely? You seem to be taking a great pride in using this word in the context of me.

And how it is not ignorant you rather wanted to avoid the discussion about greatness of an artwork that is not reliant on its digestibility? And what about the other thread (not topic, but a thought in one of my previous texts) about the poor quality of storylines in video games in general? Instead, you reurgitated your opinion that I have seen countless times, and I have always been perfectly aware of it.

It was a cheap counter to someone's disagreement with a game. What more did you want "art isn't digestable" or what have you isn't a counter, it's not much of a statement, it doesn't invalidate that game's short coming. Especially when nothing RE1 is actually doing is rich or actually sophisticated to warrant being treated differently. It's not exactly Metroid handling back tracking or something like Demon's Souls handling elements that are normally seen as cheap. It's RE1 creating a resource management system that amounts to nothing more than mindless backtracking creating an otherwise tedious encounter. Not an immersive one, not a tense or horrifying one, just a mindless running back and forth segment where you take your macguffin to its designated door/chest/window/tomb and move the game forward. Which was my knock.

Poor video game storytelling=what else was there to add. Video game stories are lame, but there are plenty of exceptions that warrant genuine praise ala Planescape, Silent Hill 2, or Mother 3. Or something more exclusive to this medium such as Shadow of the Colossus or how the souls games do their narratives. Resident Evil 1? Both the original and the remake are some hooky ass plot about some douchy corporation that went overkill with a virus, and some hilariously stupid cops. I'm not exactly seeing where that is any more intelligent than "president's daughter gets kidnapped, so we sent one dude". If anything RE4 is more up front about

You want to argue a games merits with some pious be my guest, I rather judge them on what they do bottom line. Truly excellent works of entertainment like The Godfather for instance doesn't need me to defend it with something lame like "oh it's not easily digestible". Instead I can actually focus on something that has genuine merit like Michael Carleone's character development in the film, or the cinematography.

There you go, I stuck to the topic.

As for me being angry, don't flatter yourself. I post in this manner just about every time. It's not anger, it's just honesty, and a complete lack of patience for someone giving me jive as a counter.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#71 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Resident Evil Remake is still the best in the series.

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

I haven't played either remake. I do plan on playing both. From my experience though RE4 is easily better than RE. I don't understand how anyone can put up with restrictive camera angles and piss poor controls and call it the best Resident Evil game.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Resident Evil 4 is the greatest third person shooter period. Was back when it launched, is right now a decade after it has released, will be better than the rest of that genre for the next decade. The gameplay is divine as it is more varied than any tps, and from a pacing standpoint no shooter comes close.

Remake is a damn good survival horror game, and I get the appeal some have for it over 4, but it's far more tedious as an experience, less satisfying on a mechanical level, and nowhere near as consistent in terms of its highs. Plus Resident Evil, is, was, and will always be outclassed by better and actual pure horror games ala Silent Hill 2 or recent games like Amnesia.

That's why video games are shit in the end and I feel so limited on this board confined to talking about them and them exclusively. Good art doesn't have to be easily digestible.

lol pretty much

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#74 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

I don't care if it "ruined the series;" RE4 is the best game in the series, period. It may not be the best survival-horror game but it's what I'd rather replay than any other Resident Evil. A true masterpiece and possibly the best game of the 6th gen.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#75  Edited By 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

I really enjoyed RE4, played it to death.

I am going though my first RE:Remake playthrough at the moment, awesome games but has many flaws, a lot of limitations and ancient design choices, still for a 13 years old game, I say it's very good.

35cent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 35cent
Member since 2008 • 934 Posts

I like both a lot but I prefer the RE 1 remake over 4. I loved RE1 from the start whereas the first few hours of 4 are pretty shite. I didn't mind (and still don't mind) the backtracking as it wasn't that bad and at least it made the locations actually memorable. Also 4 was the first Resident Evil game were I found the controls to be rather annoying at times.

I don't want to mock RE4 too much as I really enjoyed it but for me anyway, the RE1 remake is the pinnacle of the series.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2310 Posts

I've been playing through REmake for the first time and I was surprised how good it actually is. Its been damn good so far except for the ridiculously limited inventory. However RE4 is arguably the best video game I have ever played. Even though it started the change from survival horror to action, as a standalone title, I have yet to play a game more expertly crafted than re4

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Resident Evil games were always one and done type of situations.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

I like more resident evil 4, it has better pacing and i consider it the overall better game, but with that said resident evil remake is awesome, the scenarios, monster and gameplay are great, every monster is dangerous and you cant be a walking tank with hundreds of bullets and healing items, it has some problems that drag it down like the limited inventory and the backtracking that sometimes can get annoying but still very worth at least a play through.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#80 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

RE4 ruined the franchise.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@Krelian-co:

You know... you're a very decent intelligent person when you're not calling me stupid.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

The bad camera angles only served to hurt the games atmosphere as well.

No.

The fixed camera angles did a much better job of giving you that 'horror movie' type feel, than some over the shoulder 3rd person view, that's for sure.

RE4 was 'good for what it is'....which is an action-y shooter (with horror elements)

Not a proper survival horror game. Pretty much a different genre really.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 finalfantasy94

@bussinrounds said:

The bad camera angles only served to hurt the games atmosphere as well.

No.

The fixed camera angles did a much better job of giving you that 'horror movie' type feel, than some over the shoulder 3rd person view, that's for sure.

RE4 was 'good for what it is'....which is an action-y shooter (with horror elements)

Thats how I look at RE4. Its good for what it was an action shooter. For me it lacked atmosphere but it was still fun.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@Heirren said:

What makes you say that? Those games encourage repeated playthroughs and they always have a lot of post-game content to dig through. The original and it's remake is very fun to speed run too.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

REmake by far. Its an actual resident evil game. There are plenty of 3rd person shooters out there that put RE4 to shame, shows how outdated it got. I'm not dismissing its influence on games that came after it, however its not a game I'd go back and play.

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

Both classics for different reasons.

RE4 is genre and generational defining, and unequivocally a better game.

Avatar image for deactivated-597794cd74015
deactivated-597794cd74015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#87 deactivated-597794cd74015
Member since 2012 • 961 Posts

RE4 is awesome. "Old-School" RE elitists are idiots.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

@Heirren said:

What makes you say that? Those games encourage repeated playthroughs and they always have a lot of post-game content to dig through. The original and it's remake is very fun to speed run too.

Because a big part of their draw was bringing fear and hesitation to the player. When you know the outcome and when things happen, it loses its luster quite a bit.

heguain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 283

User Lists: 36

#89  Edited By heguain
Member since 2007 • 1433 Posts

@faizanhd said:

RE4 is awesome. "Old-School" RE elitists are idiots.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts

@Heirren said:

Because a big part of their draw was bringing fear and hesitation to the player. When you know the outcome and when things happen, it loses its luster quite a bit.

Well, then 4 certainly fixed that.

It's sandbox'y by design and there's quite a bit of RNG in its encounters.

You will be surprised on later playthroughs, not by set-piece scares, but by purely emergent stuff.

Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#91  Edited By Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

I prefer RE HD, never really got the hype for RE4 to me it just represents the start of the downfall of the RE series.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@Heirren said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@Heirren said:

Gonna have to agree to disagree on this. I never got scared in those games and always looked at them like action adventure puzzles with a lot of horror elements. Seeing how fast you can beat your previous record is fun.

Do you think your logic can apply to horror films as well?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 jg4xchamp

@finalfantasy94 said:

@bussinrounds said:

No.

For me it lacked atmosphere but it was still fun.

That is a gross misunderstanding of what the word atmosphere means if you truly think Resident Evil 4 lacks atmosphere.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Lulu_Lulu

@jg4xchamp:

Its purely subjective isn't ? Perhaps one simply didn't experience that atmosphere... perhaps there's no such thing and its all in our heads... which is why I think it's a horrible criteria for a genre to be judged by....

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 jg4xchamp

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@jg4xchamp:

Its purely subjective isn't ? Perhaps one simply didn't experience that atmosphere... perhaps there's no such thing and its all in our heads... which is why I think it's a horrible criteria for a genre to be judged by....

There is nothing subjective about it, subjective is whether or not it was effective, or as effective as something else (for instance RE1's atmosphere is better than RE4's, that's subjective). But to say the game is lacking in "the pervading tone or mood of a place, situation, or work of art" is a hilarious misuse of the word.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Lulu_Lulu

@jg4xchamp:

Oh yeah... definitely hate it when people do that.....

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 finalfantasy94

@jg4xchamp said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@bussinrounds said:

No.

For me it lacked atmosphere but it was still fun.

That is a gross misunderstanding of what the word atmosphere means if you truly think Resident Evil 4 lacks atmosphere.

sorry meant to put horror in front of atmosphere.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#98  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

They were both Awesome on the Gamecube and they're both Awesome on Steam.

And just so you know, The HD Remaster of REmake "fixes" the wonky Controls. (though I perfer to play it with the wonkyness)