[Update] Sony Issues Statement About The PS4's 5GB of RAM Available

This topic is locked from further discussion.

legalize82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 legalize82
Member since 2013 • 2293 Posts

[QUOTE="legalize82"][QUOTE="xhawk27"]

Look at all the gafs thinking it's 6gb because two people guessed that number! :lol: If the PS4 OS is only 2gb. :lol:

kalipekona

2 people that are more reliable than DF

Bullshit. 

nope not at all neogaf knows it neogaf>>>>>>>>SW
Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#152 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12393 Posts

http://retrocityrampage.com/blog/2013/07/522/

"The rumor stated that the PS4 reserved 3.5GB, while the Xbox reserved 3.0GB ...... Even had it been true, this was a difference of 0.5GB"

The PS4 has direct and "flexible" memory allocation but the exact number hasn't been revealed. Probably because people are under NDA's.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

[QUOTE="xhawk27"]

Look at all the gafs thinking it's 6gb because two people guessed that number! :lol: If the PS4 OS is only 2gb. :lol:

legalize82

Ya, and im the Queen of England.  The fact that you believe some clowns over Digital Foundry makes you a clown yourself.

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts

Rage010101

Ya, and im the Queen of England.  The fact that you believe some clowns over Digital Foundry makes you a clown yourself.

didn't you get the memo? formed banned users that claim to be insiders have more credibility than a source like Digital Foundry which is well known for its reputation in the industry and they based this latest article with information provided by developers close to Sony :cool:
legalize82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 legalize82

Rage010101

we speak again hope you got your cave ready
Kaz_Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Kaz_Son
Member since 2013 • 1389 Posts
What's this bullshit of Lems holding on to DF as the bringers of truth that can do no wrong? Isn't it the same DF that was wrong in their last article when they said PS4 could only record 7 minutes only for Sony to prove them wrong a few day s later? :lol: Desperate times, eh Lems?
kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#157 kalipekona
Member since 2003 • 2492 Posts

[QUOTE="kalipekona"]

[QUOTE="legalize82"] 2 people that are more reliable than DFlegalize82

Bullshit. 

neogaf is just a bunch of fanboys, just like any forum on the net. Sony fanboys are particularly strong in number on neogaf and we know delusion and wishful thinking are the name of the game with Sony fanboys.

legalize82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 legalize82
What's this bullshit of Lems holding on to DF as the bringers of truth that can do no wrong? Isn't it the same DF that was wrong in their last article when they said PS4 could only record 7 minutes only for Sony to prove them wrong a few day s later? :lol: Desperate times, eh Lems?Kaz_Son
this /thread
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#159 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
Sorry Sony, DF has already spoke for you, your 1 day too late.CJ_ofCamelot
And then didn't even debunk anything. Which makes what DF said to be true or pretty close to it.
legalize82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 legalize82

[QUOTE="legalize82"][QUOTE="kalipekona"]

Bullshit. 

kalipekona

neogaf is just a bunch of fanboys, just like any forum on the net. Sony fanboys are particularly strong in number on neogaf and we know delusion and wishful thinking are the name of the game with Sony fanboys.

the conspiracy
kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 kalipekona

http://retrocityrampage.com/blog/2013/07/522/

"The rumor stated that the PS4 reserved 3.5GB, while the Xbox reserved 3.0GB ...... Even had it been true, this was a difference of 0.5GB"

The PS4 has direct and "flexible" memory allocation but the exact number hasn't been revealed. Probably because people are under NDA's.

Nonstop-Madness

Nope, the Sony SDK documentation made it very clear what the amounts were. You guys can dance around this all you want, but I bet this will be further proven when further information is released.

legalize82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 legalize82
[QUOTE="CJ_ofCamelot"]Sorry Sony, DF has already spoke for you, your 1 day too late.blackace
And then didn't even debunk anything. Which makes what DF said to be true or pretty close to it.

6gb is also close to it
Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts

[QUOTE="legalize82"][QUOTE="kalipekona"]

Bullshit. 

kalipekona

Neogaf is developer website. Playstation has more good game than xbox, so no surprise more sony poster on developer website. Delusion is mostly xbox fan, that's why they are worst fanboy. Think weaker hardware/nsa spycam and milkage is better option. Defend poor policy of MS, and demand policy return with petition. :lol:
deangallop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#164 deangallop
Member since 2004 • 3811 Posts

[QUOTE="kalipekona"]

[QUOTE="legalize82"] nope not at all neogaf knows it neogaf>>>>>>>>SWMr-Kutaragi

Neogaf is developer website. Playstation has more good game than xbox, so no surprise more sony poster on developer website. Delusion is mostly xbox fan, that's why they are worst fanboy. Think weaker hardware/nsa spycam and milkage is better option. Defend poor policy of MS, and demand policy return with petition. :lol:

Thanks I needed a good belly laugh.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 Rage010101

[QUOTE="Rage010101"]

[QUOTE="legalize82"] 2 people that are more reliable than DFTessellation

didn't you get the memo? formed banned users that claim to be insiders have more credibility than a source like Digital Foundry which is well known for its reputation in the industry and they based this latest article with information provided by developers close to Sony :cool:

My apologies, it would seem that i threw the memo into the shredder along with the rest of my junk mail :lol:

Syn_Valence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Syn_Valence
Member since 2004 • 2154 Posts

can the xboxone and ps4 COME OUT ALREADY im losing my MIND.........at least we made it out of the 1gb club fellas

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 kalipekona

What's this bullshit of Lems holding on to DF as the bringers of truth that can do no wrong? Isn't it the same DF that was wrong in their last article when they said PS4 could only record 7 minutes only for Sony to prove them wrong a few day s later? :lol: Desperate times, eh Lems?Kaz_Son

I have read Digital Foundry for years and their track record is extremely good. That said, everybody is bound to get it wrong once in a great while. I don't think they stated it as an absolute fact that the PS4 records 7 minutes. I know how they write and I don't believe it was said that way.

Sometimes the truth favors the PS3, sometimes the 360, sometimes the PC....whatever the case may be, Digital Foundry seem to do a good job of reporting the facts as best as they know them.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

lol Richard Leadbetter. Still, what a hoot.

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 Tessellation

[QUOTE="Tessellation"][QUOTE="Rage010101"]

Rage010101

My apologies, it would seem that i threw the memo into the shredder along with the rest of my junk mail :lol:

by cows logic you're officially a lemming now just for the fact you're making fun of the PS4 :cool:
caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#170 caseypayne69
Member since 2002 • 5395 Posts

[QUOTE="silversix_"]ps3/360's OS uses what? 10mb?R4gn4r0k

No, they use more than 10mb

PS3 was around 70 Mb and 360 was 50 ish. give or take.
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#171 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

So what amount of RAM is available for PS4 games now. 4.5GB's or 5GB's.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

[QUOTE="Kaz_Son"]What's this bullshit of Lems holding on to DF as the bringers of truth that can do no wrong? Isn't it the same DF that was wrong in their last article when they said PS4 could only record 7 minutes only for Sony to prove them wrong a few day s later? :lol: Desperate times, eh Lems?kalipekona

I have read Digital Foundry for years and their track record is extremely good. That said, everybody is bound to get it wrong once in a great while. I don't think they stated it as an absolute fact that the PS4 records 7 minutes. I know how they write and I don't believe it was said that way.

Sometimes the truth favors the PS3, sometimes the 360, sometimes the PC....whatever the case may be, Digital Foundry seem to be do a good job of reporting the facts as best as they know them.

You're speaking about DF as a collective. The writer Leadbitter (i think it's his name) has come out with three rumours recently, one of them outright wrong, the other we didn't see a whisper from anywhere else or anything near proof and this latest one is dubious given there's now the retro city rampage devs putting their word against it. I'd agree with the idea that the truth favours all equally if we'd actually seen anything accurate from him and rumours that didn't only benefit one console.
Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 Rage010101

[QUOTE="Rage010101"]

[QUOTE="Tessellation"] didn't you get the memo? formed banned users that claim to be insiders have more credibility than a source like Digital Foundry which is well known for its reputation in the industry and they based this latest article with information provided by developers close to Sony :cool:Tessellation

by cows logic you're officially a lemming now just for the fact you're making fun of the PS4 :cool:

:lol:

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 kalipekona

SolidTy

You Sony fans are unbelievable. Richard Leadbetter has written a tremendous number of articles in praise of Sony games and has accurately (from my own experience) laid out the differences between multiplatform games. For this, you guys bash Digital Foundry and call them biased. What a joke. You fanboys are the epitome of blindness and fanatical irrationality.

BlessedChill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 BlessedChill
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

super600
It's a rumor, first off.
Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

Lems, how does dat 6GB of GDDR5 RAM for games make ya feel? :cool:

Cali3350

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 Cali3350
Member since 2003 • 16134 Posts

This is all bordering on ridiculous at this point anyway.  Even if the consoles only have 4.5Gb of ram, which everyone and ever rumor can agree the weakest console will, thats a hell of a lot.  More than Textures will fill up in this generation (the Graphics chips in either arent really powerful enough to drive the draw distances and all needed for that).  The only thing 'more' cache will mean for the moment is caching data for quicker load times, which is nice, but really, not that important.

Thankfully, THANKFULLY, both consoles, even if the worst specs mentioned are true are true, are not lacking RAM like they had been previously.  

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 Tessellation
you can tell cows desperation when they use neogaf and forum post as source of confirmation :lol: DF > neogaf :cool: #staymadandshiet
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 super600  Moderator

Douevenlift_bro

So it's okay to brag about an potential gig of ram.I still think six orgigs of ram is overkill for a console that is a powerful as the PS4.

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 kalipekona

[QUOTE="kalipekona"]

[QUOTE="Kaz_Son"]What's this bullshit of Lems holding on to DF as the bringers of truth that can do no wrong? Isn't it the same DF that was wrong in their last article when they said PS4 could only record 7 minutes only for Sony to prove them wrong a few day s later? :lol: Desperate times, eh Lems?hoosier7

Sometimes the truth favors the PS3, sometimes the 360, sometimes the PC....whatever the case may be, Digital Foundry seem to be do a good job of reporting the facts as best as they know them.

You're speaking about DF as a collective. The writer Leadbitter (i think it's his name) has come out with three rumours recently, one of them outright wrong, the other we didn't see a whisper from anywhere else or anything near proof and this latest one is dubious given there's now the retro city rampage devs putting their word against it. I'd agree with the idea that the truth favours all equally if we'd actually seen anything accurate from him and rumours that didn't only benefit one console.

There are more than one writer for Digital Foundry.

As far as Richard Leadbetter getting the '7 minutes of recording' thing wrong, so what? He heard it wrong, give him a break. No writer is going to be flawless over many years of reporting. You are bound to get some things wrong from time to time.

But by and large Digital Foundry has been a source for accurate information on technical topics pertaining to gaming.

BigBoss154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 BigBoss154
Member since 2009 • 2956 Posts

super600

Numerous insiders on GAF are saying it's 6GB, with thruway saying there are games in development with more than 6GB already being used.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

Douevenlift_bro

If True, Cows enjoy your laggy OS! :cool:

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
Member since 2013 • 2504 Posts

Douevenlift_bro

they are ripping their hair out dude wishing they can trade places 

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 super600  Moderator

[QUOTE="super600"]

BigBoss154

Numerous insiders on GAF are saying it's 6GB, with thruway saying there are games in development with more than 6GB already being used.

I saw those posts. According to thuway the ram situation will change after launch anyway. I have no clue how devs will be able to use all that ram anyway.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

[QUOTE="BigBoss154"]

[QUOTE="super600"]

super600

I saw those posts. According to thuway the ram situation will change after launch anyway. I have no clue how devs will be able to use all that ram anyway.

I highly doubt it. 

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 SolidTy

[QUOTE="hoosier7"][QUOTE="kalipekona"]

kalipekona

As far as Richard Leadbetter getting the '7 minutes of recording' thing wrong, so what? He heard it wrong, give him a break. No writer is going to be flawless over many years of reporting. You are bound to get some things wrong from time to time.

But by and large Digital Foundry has been a source for accurate information on technical topics pertaining to gaming.

Your opinion is noted and I disagree as a longtime follower of lol DF, which was just Richard Leadbetter for many periods. He's a longtime joke well before any talk of Xbox One or PS4 or Wii U were in our vocabularies.

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts
I'm a little disappointed to be honest. But I'm still getting a PS4 because its $100 cheaper than an Xbox One. And PS+ is $10 cheaper than XBL gold. $110 GREATLY tips the scales. Now, if MS drops the XB1 price $100, then ill take another look.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

kalipekona

Richard Leadbetter has written a tremendous number of articles in praise of  games and has accurately (from my own experience) laid out the differences between multiplatform games. For this,  bash Digital Foundry and call them biased. What a joke. You fanboys are the epitome of blindness and fanatical irrationality.

Stop generalizing, Xbox Fan! No you aren't even worthy of an Xbox Fan, because I own those, you are a super fanboy though.

LOL RICHARD LEADBETTER is all I said, LMAO! Way to reveal your cards, numbnuts.

Why do you get to be the Xbox Fan, I'll kick your ass in HALO or GeoW Right Now if you want, lol. I'll pit my Xbox gamerscore up to yours any day of the  week.

LOL RICHARD LEADBETTER, he's been a joke for many years, stop being such a longtime fanboy as your posts reveal weekly. You don't even own the machines save for one + a PC. You don't speak from experience with the machines.

I'll kick your ass in StarCraft II if you are scared of Halo or GeoW, lololol.

The worst part is how heated both sides are getting because of LOL RICHARD LEADBETTER rumors, lmao. This is why Euro keeps him, LMAO. I don't even care about what he writes for years now, but it's funny how passionate you are to defend him, lol. The last three stories from him over a month period have been fake. He was a joke before this. He's bound to be right eventually, and it won't matter. Lol. I know him and his game well.

I am eagerly awaiting to pick up my Xbox One and PS4 reserves, they will look nice next to my Wii U, Wii, Xboxs, 360s, and PS3s (My four Gaming PCs are in different rooms).

LordOfPoms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 LordOfPoms
Member since 2013 • 1138 Posts

xhawk27

DF is right more times than wrong. If Sony only has 2gb for the OS and no reserved memory allocation for future growth. 

They've been wrong on three occasions in the past month, but im inclined to believe this story because it makes a ton of sense.
deangallop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#191 deangallop
Member since 2004 • 3811 Posts

joke. You fanboys are the epitome of blindness and fanatical irrationality.

Stop generalizing, Xbox Fan! No you aren't even worthy of an Xbox Fan, because I own those, you are a super fanboy though.

LOL RICHARD LEADBETTER is all I said, LMAO! Way to reveal your cards, numbnuts.

Why do you get to be the Xbox Fan, I'll kick your ass in HALO or GeoW Right Now if you want, lol. I'll pit my Xbox gamerscore up to yours any day of the  week.

LOL RICHARD LEADBETTER, he's been a joke for many years, stop being such a longtime fanboy as your posts reveal weekly. You don't even own the machines save for one + a PC. You don't speak from experience with the machines.

I'll kick your ass in StarCraft II if you are scared of Halo or GeoW, lololol.

The worst part is how heated both sides are getting because of LOL RICHARD LEADBETTER, lmao. This is why Euro keeps him.SolidTy

I agree that Eurogamer is complete garbage, but you post no evidence to show why we should'nt trust leadbetter.

and also did your post need to be this long... so much fluff, learn to cut shit down.

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 kalipekona

[QUOTE="kalipekona"]

[QUOTE="hoosier7"] You're speaking about DF as a collective. The writer Leadbitter (i think it's his name) has come out with three rumours recently, one of them outright wrong, the other we didn't see a whisper from anywhere else or anything near proof and this latest one is dubious given there's now the retro city rampage devs putting their word against it. I'd agree with the idea that the truth favours all equally if we'd actually seen anything accurate from him and rumours that didn't only benefit one console.SolidTy

Your opinion is noted and I disagree as a longtime follower of lol DF, which was just Richard Leadbetter for many periods. He's a longtime joke well before any talk of Xbox One or PS4 or Wii U were in our vocabularies.

The only people who think Digital Foundry is a joke are butthurt Playstation fanboys like yourself. Most level-headed people respect DF as a great source for gaming tech related news.

Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 Douevenlift_bro

[QUOTE="Douevenlift_bro"]

super600

So it's okay to brag about an potential gig of ram.I still think six orgigs of ram is overkill for a console that is a powerful as the PS4.

Better than X1 :)

Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 Douevenlift_bro

[QUOTE="Douevenlift_bro"]

xboxiphoneps3

they are ripping their hair out dude wishing they can trade places 

I can see it. The jealousy is very clear :cool:

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 Tessellation
poor cows still using neogaf as source :cool: dat desperation continues :lol:
way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#196 way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts

[QUOTE="Rage010101"]

[QUOTE="Carbon_Le"]Sony is gonna murder microsoft at gamescom and announce 6gb of ram for games. What will Lems do then? Complain that its not 8gb for games? Lol. System wars is funny. Mr-Kutaragi

First you cows get out of control with 8GB thinking it would all be used for games (moronic at best)

Link to these claims. System cannot run without OS, everyone knows this.

Um, yes it can... What OS do you think the NES had?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="kalipekona"]

kalipekona

The only people who think Digital Foundry is a joke are butthurt Playstation fanboys like yourself. Most level-headed people respect DF as a great source for gaming tech related news.

Still generalizing? Still with the name calling? Notice how I didn't do either with my above post?

Boy, you aren't the brightest Crayola in the box, are ya?

The only people who think Digital Foundry is a great source are butthurt Xbox fanboys like yourself. Most level-headed people respect DF as a simple source for gaming tech related news, but realize there are others to consider.

Thing is, you aren't worthy of an Xbox fanboy because I like Xbox enough to have dropped thousands of dollars on games and accessories as well as being an Xbox Live GOLD member since Xbox  Mech Assault days, and I know Leadbetter is a joke. You were too dumb to learn this years ago and you really on ad hominems soley because you are weak. Eurogamer preys on weak minds like yours.

Ad Hominems, huh?

Weak minded drone idiot. (I like where this is going! ;))

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
Member since 2013 • 2504 Posts
This guy Thuway is saying there are games in development that use 6 GB of RAM... idk how is his prediction/fact history? tbh i never really went on NeoGAF much, more so on Beyond3D
Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

[QUOTE="LordOfPoms"][QUOTE="xboxiphoneps3"] exactly, you can always reduce OS footprint but you cant take back RAM down the road, NFJSupreme

The original article pointed out that MS locked 3 gigs of RAM in place, so that's never coming back unless they change plans. Sony has it placeholding, so it could come back at some point. I'd say both companies unlock these RAM allocations in the future and you see both pushing 6 gigs of RAM for games. Of course, GDDR5 > GDDR3, so 6 gigs of that is better, but whether or not anyone will actually make use of all that is the question.

Xbone has DDR3 not GDDR3.  Two different things.  GDDR3 is based on DDR2 and DDR3 is what GDDR5 is based on.  But anyway the memory is not the real difference.  With its 32mb esram the memory of the xbone will perform close enough to the memory of the PS4 for it not to matter.  The real difference between the system and honestly the only substantial difference in terms of performance is the GPU in the PS4 being ~33% stronger.

This is basically true. However, it's the DDR3's fault that the GPU is weaker. The ESRAM and data move engines are there to help it out and those things use up space on the die that should have went to more compute units and ROPs.

Kaz_Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 Kaz_Son
Member since 2013 • 1389 Posts
This guy Thuway is saying there are games in development that use 6 GB of RAM... idk how is his prediction/fact history? tbh i never really went on NeoGAF much, more so on Beyond3Dxboxiphoneps3
He's been right 100% of the time from what I can gather. Also there are other insiders confirming what he says too.