[Update] Sony Issues Statement About The PS4's 5GB of RAM Available

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

Memory_Performance_chart_v3.png

PS4 could have half the RAM of the XBox One and still perform 20% better.

Shewgenja

there are pros and cons to both solutions but we all know GDDR5 is better for gaming. 

Also comparing what's inside a console to similar PC parts is stupid.  is that DDR3 in that chart aided by esram or move engines?  exactly. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
Member since 2013 • 2504 Posts

[QUOTE="Shewgenja"]

NFJSupreme

there are pros and cons to both solutions but we all know GDDR5 is better for gaming. 

Also comparing what's inside a console to similar PC parts is stupid.  is that DDR3 in that chart aided by esram or move engines?  exactly. 

ok and is that GDDR5 aided by the reduced latency and reduced transmission latency due to the APU design and all the parts on one die meaning all the parts are much physically closer to each other and it being a unified memory pool? nope.

gddr5 and ddr3 memory modules are very similiar in latency, but since these consoles are APU's and have all the parts on one die, latency is dramtically reduced, 

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts
[QUOTE="Shewgenja"]

clyde46
:lol: Believing first party benchmarks :lol:

Well, they did make all the consoles. http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/gddr5/Pages/gddr5.aspx
rell84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 rell84
Member since 2013 • 255 Posts
Lems trying to force ownage stop it LOL
NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

[QUOTE="NFJSupreme"]

[QUOTE="Shewgenja"]

xboxiphoneps3

ok and is that GDDR5 aided by the reduced latency and reduced transmission latency due to the APU design and it being a unified memory pool? nope.

gddr5 and ddr3 memory modules are very similiar in latency, but since these consoles are APU's and have all the parts on one die, latency is dramtically reduced, 

was just using that as an example of why that chart doesn't really say much in terms of the memory performance for both the PS4 and xbone.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2

[QUOTE="xboxiphoneps3"]

[QUOTE="NFJSupreme"]

NFJSupreme

ok and is that GDDR5 aided by the reduced latency and reduced transmission latency due to the APU design and it being a unified memory pool? nope.

was just using that as an example of why that chart doesn't really say much in terms of the memory performance for both the PS4 and xbone.

yeah, that chart doesnt have much meaning at all when talking about consoles
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

What developer in their right mind would want to "optimize" for dinosaur RAM being used for graphics?Shewgenja

Developers or rather publishers will make the console that sells the most the lead platform. 360 was the lead platform for most multiplats last gen so most games did not make use of the 50GB of space that was available on Blu-ray discs on the PS3, because it still had to fit on 1 DVD so it could be run on 360.

XBNJim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 XBNJim
Member since 2013 • 44 Posts
I like how the Sony kids are posting silly graphs from NVidia about GDDR5. You realize the entire purpose of the eSRAM in the Xbox One is to pass through high bandwidth data? It's not as good as having GDDR5, but the image showing 1GB of DDR3 being that much inferior to 512 GDDR5, is irrelevant in the context of these consoles. Too many people discussing hardware components that really shouldn't.
ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 ShadowriverUB
Member since 2009 • 5515 Posts

[QUOTE="silversix_"]

[QUOTE="NFJSupreme"]

It's not a waste.   Both consoles will have a lot of processes running in the background.  They need that RAM so that the system runs smoothly.  

Zaibach

dude ITS 3GB..... 1gb or 1.5gb for a next gen console would've been acceptable but 3 is just ridiculous. Shit running in background and multitasking shouldn't require over 1.5gb (which is quite a lot by it self). How the hell W7 requires as much or less? You can do waaaaaaay more on that than what you could on console's OS

lets see you got

Remote play

the share function

the apps and such

cross game chat

switching from other media instantaneously

gaikai integration

the start playing straight away after start of download?

cloud services

the ps4 eye

unknown future bits and bobs still to be added

I'm just spit balling here and I doubt even all the things I have listed require sizeable chunks of memory

Not all of those features will be used at once lol :p When you use Gaikai you wont use PS4 game. Only loaded features need to be in memoery, things that you don't use or game odnt use are thrown away, if whole fetaures would be loaded it would take whole 8GB :p
silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

[QUOTE="silversix_"]

[QUOTE="NFJSupreme"]

It's not a waste.   Both consoles will have a lot of processes running in the background.  They need that RAM so that the system runs smoothly.  

NFJSupreme

dude ITS 3GB..... 1gb or 1.5gb for a next gen console would've been acceptable but 3 is just ridiculous. Shit running in background and multitasking shouldn't require over 1.5gb (which is quite a lot by it self). How the hell W7 requires as much or less? You can do waaaaaaay more on that than what you could on console's OS

it depends on the programs you are running.  Even with Win7 once you start running multiple programs memory usage jumps.

what do you mean "even with W7"? Its a true computer's OS, its acceptable to use 3gb for it because you can do everything on a pc. this is 3gb used for a console OS... can consoles OS do as much as pc's one? No and its far from it

KarateeeChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#61 KarateeeChop
Member since 2010 • 4666 Posts

wow, another downgrade? at this rate the ps4 will be lucky to have 3gb of ram at launch. :(

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="Shewgenja"]

Shewgenja
:lol: Believing first party benchmarks :lol:

Well, they did make all the consoles. http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/gddr5/Pages/gddr5.aspx

And? Haven't you learnt anything about manufactures benchmarks? There's a reason no one ever takes them seriously.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 R4gn4r0k

And? Haven't you learnt anything about manufactures benchmarks? There's a reason no one ever takes them seriously. clyde46

AMD recommends AMD

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 clyde46

[QUOTE="clyde46"]And? Haven't you learnt anything about manufactures benchmarks? There's a reason no one ever takes them seriously. R4gn4r0k

AMD recommends AMD

Intel recommends Intel.
BigBoss154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 BigBoss154
Member since 2009 • 2956 Posts

Copying from the other thread:

There are about 5 or 6 insiders on GAF saying the numbers DF are reporting are wrong.

thruway, one of the insiders, is now posting this:

Wouldn't you like 6 though? 6 is such a nice round, even number... It has a nice ring to it too, and requires only three letters to spell : SIXthruway

and from another insider: 

Ah thuway dropping the number. None of my guys let me say anything.bruceleeroy

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 R4gn4r0k

[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

AMD recommends AMD

clyde46

Intel recommends Intel.

The battle is on !

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 clyde46

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

AMD recommends AMD

R4gn4r0k

Intel recommends Intel.

The battle is on !

Also, did you know that Nvidia recommends Nvidia?
Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

lol, Davekeeh is probably on cow suicide watch after reading this considering he kept saying that Sony would debunk it as false, but NOPE!  Tormentos I dont think is taking it as bad but I saw him holding a bottle of Zoloft! :lol:

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 R4gn4r0k

Also, did you know that Nvidia recommends Nvidia? clyde46

Really ? I'll be getting one right away.

Oh and Mr Clean recommends Mr Clean

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 R4gn4r0k

lol, Davekeeh is probably on cow suicide watch after reading this considering he kept saying that Sony would debunk it as false, but NOPE!  Tormentos I dont think is taking it as bad but I saw him holding a bottle of Zoloft! :lol:

Rage010101

Wouldn't be saddened to see him go. He only talks about metacritic and gamescores in his posts anyway.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 clyde46

[QUOTE="clyde46"]Also, did you know that Nvidia recommends Nvidia? R4gn4r0k

Really ? I'll be getting one right away.

Oh and Mr Clean recommends Mr Clean

I wonder if Ford recommends Ford products. I think I'm starting to see a pattern here.
happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

Now look at all the Sony apologist try to spin this, it's funny and sad at the same time. Their actions are those of cult members!!!

Far_RockNYC

Do you have a brain? Have you even read the article?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 R4gn4r0k

I wonder if Ford recommends Ford products. I think I'm starting to see a pattern here. clyde46

Yeah me too ! I hope Shewgenja does too.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 clyde46
[QUOTE="Far_RockNYC"]

Now look at all the Sony apologist try to spin this, it's funny and sad at the same time. Their actions are those of cult members!!!

happyduds77
Do you have brain? Have you even read the article?

Spin away Cow.
rell84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 rell84
Member since 2013 • 255 Posts
At this point lems just nitpicking its all they have at this point LOL ps4 day one all this proves is the lems myth about only cows posting talking down on other consoles is a god d@mn lie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="Shewgenja"][QUOTE="clyde46"] :lol: Believing first party benchmarks :lol:

And? Haven't you learnt anything about manufactures benchmarks? There's a reason no one ever takes them seriously.

Okay but its obvious a gddr5 gpu will outperform a ddr3 gpu on PC, this had been wildly known for a long long time
Raziel831991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Raziel831991
Member since 2013 • 631 Posts

So first its 5.5 gb of ram for games and now suddendly its only 5gb?

What a joke of a site

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Rage010101

[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

[QUOTE="silversix_"]dude ITS 3GB..... 1gb or 1.5gb for a next gen console would've been acceptable but 3 is just ridiculous. Shit running in background and multitasking shouldn't require over 1.5gb (which is quite a lot by it self). How the hell W7 requires as much or less? You can do waaaaaaay more on that than what you could on console's OS

ShadowriverUB

lets see you got

Remote play

the share function

the apps and such

cross game chat

gaikai integration

cloud services

the ps4 eye

I'm just spit balling here and I doubt even all the things I have listed require sizeable chunks of memory

Not all of those features will be used at once lol :p When you use Gaikai you wont use PS4 game. Only loaded features need to be in memoery, things that you don't use or game odnt use are thrown away, if whole fetaures would be loaded it would take whole 8GB :p

Your input on RAM is irrelevent considering this recent news has debunked all of your previous speculations, as I tried to explain in the past.  Just curl in a ball in some dark corner and don't come out until the smoke settles m'kay.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

[QUOTE="clyde46"]I wonder if Ford recommends Ford products. I think I'm starting to see a pattern here. R4gn4r0k

Yeah me too ! I hope Shewgenja does too.

The chart was drawn as a comparison to laptops using a shared pool of DDR3 ram (oddly enough, just like the XBox One) to a laptop using dedicated GDDR5 as VMem (less efficient setup than what is in the PS4). So, while I appreciate the diatribe and all, the point IS lost on me. In fact, with all due considerations, perhaps the 20% figure is conservative in the case of the Playstation 4. Feel free to discuss.

Sauce:

http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/gddr5/Pages/gddr5.aspx

Raziel831991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Raziel831991
Member since 2013 • 631 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowriverUB"][QUOTE="Zaibach"]

lets see you got

Remote play

the share function

the apps and such

cross game chat

gaikai integration

cloud services

the ps4 eye

Rage010101

Your input on RAM is irrelevent considering this recent news has debunked all of your previous speculations, as I tried to explain in the past.  Just curl in a ball in some dark corner and don't come out until the smoke settles m'kay.

This doesnt debunk anything since its just a rumour

Far_RockNYC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Far_RockNYC
Member since 2012 • 1244 Posts

Logo_001.jpg?1288872467.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 R4gn4r0k

The chart was drawn as a comparison to laptops using a shared pool of DDR3 ram (oddly enough, just like the XBox One) to a laptop using dedicated GDDR5 as VMem (less efficient setup than what is in the PS4). So, while I appreciate the diatribe and all, the point IS lost on me. In fact, with all due considerations, perhaps the 20% figure is conservative in the case of the Playstation 4. Feel free to discuss.

Sauce:

http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/gddr5/Pages/gddr5.aspx

Shewgenja

Clyde's point was that manufactoror benchmark tend to play with the truth, they are always in favor of what they do. This is the case for every single company, not just in gaming.

In fact, with all due considerations, perhaps the 20% figure is conservative in the case of the Playstation 4.

Shewgenja

That was the point I was trying to make. You said even with half the RAM the PS4 would still outperform Xbone. I told you that was very relative and depended on how developers will develop and optimize on the two consoles. I'm glad you can see where I'm coming from :)

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Rage010101

[QUOTE="Rage010101"]

[QUOTE="ShadowriverUB"] Not all of those features will be used at once lol :p When you use Gaikai you wont use PS4 game. Only loaded features need to be in memoery, things that you don't use or game odnt use are thrown away, if whole fetaures would be loaded it would take whole 8GB :pRaziel831991

This doesnt debunk anything since its just a rumour

If it helps you sleep at night junior.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#84 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

So many people upset, yet very few actually know why...

Most likely Sony is taking a safe approach to system resources. This doesn't mean the OS constantly uses that memory.

JamDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 JamDev
Member since 2013 • 992 Posts
Latest leaks/rumours are now 6GB available to devs with some unspecified portion of that being this "flexible" RAM. The whole thing is so overblown in any case, bigger number dick waving at it's worst.
Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Latest leaks/rumours are now 6GB available to devs with some unspecified portion of that being this "flexible" RAM. The whole thing is so overblown in any case, bigger number dick waving at it's worst.JamDev

It's pretty painfully obvious eurogamer was fishing for hits. I'm sure they made their quota.

JamDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 JamDev

[QUOTE="JamDev"]Latest leaks/rumours are now 6GB available to devs with some unspecified portion of that being this "flexible" RAM. The whole thing is so overblown in any case, bigger number dick waving at it's worst.ReadingRainbow4

It's pretty painfully obvious eurogamer was fishing for hits. I'm sure they made their quota.

The site was actually down for a while yesterday due to heavy traffic so they certainly succeeded if that was their aim.
happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts
Latest leaks/rumours are now 6GB available to devs with some unspecified portion of that being this "flexible" RAM. The whole thing is so overblown in any case, bigger number dick waving at it's worst.JamDev
Source?
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

[QUOTE="JamDev"]Latest leaks/rumours are now 6GB available to devs with some unspecified portion of that being this "flexible" RAM. The whole thing is so overblown in any case, bigger number dick waving at it's worst.ReadingRainbow4

Richard Leadbetter, lol.

dr_jashugan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#90 dr_jashugan
Member since 2006 • 2665 Posts

Thanks for the info, TC! 

Now that we all know that the PS4 will have 5Gb of GDDR5 RAM for games, I was wondering how much RAM will the XBone have just for games. :| 

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

Thanks for the info, TC! 

Now that we all know that the PS4 will have 5Gb of GDDR5 RAM for games, I was wondering how much RAM will the XBone have just for games. :| 

dr_jashugan

2GB

dr_jashugan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#92 dr_jashugan
Member since 2006 • 2665 Posts

[QUOTE="dr_jashugan"]

Thanks for the info, TC! 

Douevenlift_bro

2GB

Can you give a source or link on that? :cool:

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#93 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Thanks for the info, TC! 

dr_jashugan

5GB.

JamDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 JamDev

[QUOTE="JamDev"]Latest leaks/rumours are now 6GB available to devs with some unspecified portion of that being this "flexible" RAM. The whole thing is so overblown in any case, bigger number dick waving at it's worst.happyduds77
Source?

Thuway on GAF: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=73213046&postcount=1835

Backed up by quite a few other "insiders" that have proven to have accurate information in the past.

They have also been known to be wrong and ultimately it's anonymous dudes on a forum, but they have been reliable in the past, take it for what it's worth.

People will either choose to belive Leadbetter's sources or GAF insiders depending on which console they want to "win". I suspect this will rumble on until Sony come out and make a definitive statement, most likely at Gamescom.

legalize82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 legalize82
Member since 2013 • 2293 Posts
people going crazy about ram :lol: we all devs now on SW and system engineers?
Far_RockNYC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Far_RockNYC
Member since 2012 • 1244 Posts

Thanks for the info, TC! 

dr_jashugan

7GB the OS will only take up about 1GB......oops my bad that was a cow statment :lol:

JamDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 JamDev
[QUOTE="legalize82"]people going crazy about ram :lol: we all devs now on SW?

Numbers dude! Some of which are bigger than others! Exciting times on SW.
Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts
TLHBOA
LordOfPoms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 LordOfPoms
Member since 2013 • 1138 Posts

Sup Rainbow. Look, it's this topic AGAIN.
LordOfPoms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 LordOfPoms
Member since 2013 • 1138 Posts

[QUOTE="happyduds77"][QUOTE="JamDev"]Latest leaks/rumours are now 6GB available to devs with some unspecified portion of that being this "flexible" RAM. The whole thing is so overblown in any case, bigger number dick waving at it's worst.JamDev

Source?

Thuway on GAF: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=73213046&postcount=1835

Backed up by quite a few other "insiders" that have proven to have accurate information in the past.

They have also been known to be wrong and ultimately it's anonymous dudes on a forum, but they have been reliable in the past, take it for what it's worth.

People will either choose to belive Leadbetter's sources or GAF insiders depending on which console they want to "win". I suspect this will rumble on until Sony come out and make a definitive statement, most likely at Gamescom.

Sony won't make a definitive statement because they don't want to give away any competitive advantage. If it really is 6gb of RAM and someone misquoted them with it as 4.5, thus making MS not feel the need to scale back their RAM OS allocation, why show your hand? that said, 4gb and 5gb on both systems is an excessive amount to begin with