Uncharted Creative Director Forced Out Of Naughty Dog

• 157 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

Maybe she will go and work at santa monica or something

@DarkLink77 said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

Is it weird that she wrote one of the best video game stories of this generation (Uncharted 2), but also one of the worst video game stories as well (Uncharted 3)?

No, mostly because the story in Uncharted 2 really isn't that good. It's a popcorn flick with nothing of value to say. That's like saying The Avengers has one of the best stories in in film in the last ten years.

Uncharted 2 has a damn good story and so does uncharted 3

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#52 XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

@lglz1337 said:

Druckmann and Straley bihind uncharted ? nice!! goty confirmed

dont you mean best picture of the year...

it'll sweep the oscars easily...

270+ goty awards.

Cry more.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@DarkLink77 said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

Is it weird that she wrote one of the best video game stories of this generation (Uncharted 2), but also one of the worst video game stories as well (Uncharted 3)?

No, mostly because the story in Uncharted 2 really isn't that good. It's a popcorn flick with nothing of value to say. That's like saying The Avengers has one of the best stories in in film in the last ten years.

lol you have shitty standards if you thought those were good stories. I guess the Transformers movies have good stories too. Thats pretty much the level of storytelling the Uncharted games were at.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

RIP to a mediocre franchise Uncharted.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 XboxDone74

@mems_1224 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@DarkLink77 said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

lol you have shitty standards if you thought those were good stories. I guess the Transformers movies have good stories too. Thats pretty much the level of storytelling the Uncharted games were at.

2 AAA

1 AA

keep crying.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 XboxDone74

@gago-gago said:

jelly confirmed. :)

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#57 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@DarkLink77 said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

You are literally a crazy person. Those stories are mediocre at best, and the only reason they stand out is because video game writing is, by and large, awful.

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

@DarkLink77 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@DarkLink77 said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

You are literally a crazy person. Those stories are mediocre at best, and the only reason they stand out is because video game writing is, by and large, awful.

This! That game was about set pieces and nothing else. The story and writing were garbage. TLOU is a far superior product.

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 ghostwarrior786

@DarkLink77: @mems_1224: for the action flick genre uncharted has a good story. I like unchartedbbecause its light hearted, witty non stop action game, not every game needs to be dark and gloomy. Most games have garbage stories (killzone,gears,halo etc.) but uncharted is among the few games that has good story. I like it sue me

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By mems_1224

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@DarkLink77: @mems_1224: for the action flick genre uncharted has a good story. I like unchartedbbecause its light hearted, witty non stop action game, not every game needs to be dark and gloomy. Most games have garbage stories (killzone,gears,halo etc.) but uncharted is among the few games that has good story. I like it sue me

I like it too(Up until the roid rage smerfs). I wouldn't say its good though.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts
@lostrib said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:
@Netret0120 said:

She shall be missed but i am sure UC4 will still be great. Lems are desperate for anything bad.

The butthurt is tangible.

Only thing funnier are the lems begging Great Phil Spencer to hire her.

Maybe she can work on that new IP by Black Tusk. Oh wait.

Source?

Source on what? Lems begging MS to hire her? Check out this buttblasted loser.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts
@DarkLink77 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:
@DarkLink77 said:

I was just about to post this.

Frankly, I don't see the issue. Druckmann is a better writer. Maybe the Uncharted series will actually have a narrative worth talking about if he's at the helm.

whats bad about the story? Yea its clich but the characters are enjoyable.

The characters are also incredibly boring and predictable down to exact lines of dialogue. Nathan Drake is also a legitimately terrible person.

Besides that one time he threw someone in the water in uncharted 2 how is he a bad person. Majority of his kills are bad people.Also they are far from boring characters they are fun and enjoyable to be around. Again its clich then again what isint.

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

@Couth_ said:

@Zaibach said:

shame, she has a talent for creating likeable characters.

Nathan Drake? He's not exactly an iconic character, which is crazy considering the praise the series gets. Also, the best game in the series was one she only co-directed. I welcome this move. I think Uncharted 4 will be way better off for it.

I liked the characters in the Uncharted series way more than The Last Of Us or any other game for that matter.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 DarkLink77

@finalfantasy94 said:
@DarkLink77 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:
@DarkLink77 said:

Frankly, I don't see the issue. Druckmann is a better writer. Maybe the Uncharted series will actually have a narrative worth talking about if he's at the helm.

The characters are also incredibly boring and predictable down to exact lines of dialogue. Nathan Drake is also a legitimately terrible person.

Besides that one time he threw someone in the water in uncharted 2 how is he a bad person. Majority of his kills are bad people.Also they are far from boring characters they are fun and enjoyable to be around. Again its clich then again what isint.

How is he a bad person? Aer you serious? He murders people for treasure. How is he NOT a bad person?

Boring =/= fun to be around. Boring =/= predictable characters that never break out of their archetypes or experience any type of character growth.

And no, not everything is cliche. Come on.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 DarkLink77

@ghostwarrior786 said:

Hey, it's fine if you like them. There's just a difference between something being enjoyable and being legitimately great.

You can throw a lot of things at the Halo games, but garbage stories and bad writing aren't one of them, except maybe in Halo 2. Even then, the sentence to sentence stuff was pretty good. I'll give you the other two, though.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#67 Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

What the hell!! NOO!!

Keep that last of us shit away from uncharted

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 finalfantasy94

@DarkLink77 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:
@DarkLink77 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:
@DarkLink77 said:

How is he a bad person? Aer you serious? He murders people for treasure. How is he NOT a bad person?

Boring =/= fun to be around. Boring =/= predictable characters that never break out of their archetypes or experience any type of character growth.

Dude the avatar you have is a game thats clich but its still good. Again nathan kills BAD PEOPLE.If these people got these treasures the world would be screwed. So again how is he bad?Im not saying uncharted is masterpiece but its a fun popcorn flick.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#69 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

That sucks, she did an amazing job with the writing in UC2.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 DarkLink77

@finalfantasy94 said:

@DarkLink77 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:
@DarkLink77 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:
@DarkLink77 said:

Dude the avatar you have is a game thats clich but its still good. Again nathan kills BAD PEOPLE.If these people got these treasures the world would be screwed. So again how is he bad?Im not saying uncharted is masterpiece but its a fun popcorn flick.

Bioshock Infinite is about as far from cliche as you can get on a narrative level. Are you high?

I dunno. I'm under the impression that murdering a few hundred people makes you a person of questionable morals, even if it is for a good cause. Then again, maybe I'm just a crazy person.

I've been saying it's a fun popcorn flick for the entirety of this thread. What's the problem?

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 happyduds77

@gago-gago said:

Yet it sells millions, gets praised from numerous medias and gamers and wins tons of awards. Yes mediocre indeed.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 finalfantasy94

@DarkLink77 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@DarkLink77 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:
@DarkLink77 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:
@DarkLink77 said:

Bioshock Infinite is about as far from cliche as you can get on a narrative level. Are you high?

I dunno. I'm under the impression that murdering a few hundred people makes you a person of questionable morals, even if it is for a good cause. Then again, maybe I'm just a crazy person.

I've been saying it's a fun popcorn flick for the entirety of this thread. What's the problem?

Really far from cliche? dude I know you like it but have to admit when something is cliche. killing people who would gladly kill any innocent person. Yea I think its fine espcially when they draw your guns on you. Also how can you saying the characters and story suck or are boring then say its a fun popcorn flick. Its two totally different things. Pick one.

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By happyduds77

It doesn't matter if the story is cliche, if it's amazingly polished it's a great story in my book. And that's what you can say about the Uncharted series.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#74  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

@DarkLink77 said:

Word, TLOU's story was so far ahead of anything ND had done before. This was inevitable.

And yet you just contradicted the base of the thread, if anything this is good for ND as you both stated. lol.

If anyone needs better writers it would be bioware, they've been shoving garbage writing down our throats for most of the past gen, maybe Amy can head over there and repair the damage that was left over by our fair hamburger hepler.

iwasgood2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 iwasgood2u
Member since 2009 • 831 Posts

Congrats lemming she will be the next writer for halo or gears of war.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 mems_1224

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@mems_1224 said:

@DarkLink77 said:

Word, TLOU's story was so far ahead of anything ND had done before. This was inevitable.

And yet you just contradicted the base of the thread, if anything this is good for ND as you both stated. lol.

If anyone needs better writers it would be bioware, they've been shoving garbage writing down our throats for most of the past gen, maybe Amy can head over there and repair the damage that was left over by our fair hamburger hepler.

You know me, I love to piss off trolls and idiots.

I think she would fit pretty well at Bioware tbh. As much as I love Mass Effect and Dragon Age the character dialogue has always been way too stiff.

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 ghostwarrior786

@DarkLink77: I think uc2 is legitmely great, uc3 not so much but I still liked it. Halo 1 and 3 had good story but the rest are awful imo. Reach had so much potential but they screwed it up, ff crisis core is a prequel done correctly. Halo 4 is the biggest disappointment of last gen, so much wrong with that game I wouldnt know where to begin

TheShensolidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By TheShensolidus
Member since 2013 • 224 Posts

So, while she was A writer on the Uncharted series, the two she is primarily responsible for writing were Uncharted 1 & 3. Druckmann pretty much Co-wrote Uncharted 2, and Bruce Straley's Uncharted game he directed was 2.

In fact, the two Uncharted games that Bruce and Neil DIDN'T work on are not as highly regarded as 2.

Amy Henning has had an amazing career and contributed amazing things to both ND and Uncharted, but to say that this is the end of the world or ND is both hyperbolic and incredibly short-sighted as to what goes on in this industry.

billing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 billing
Member since 2004 • 642 Posts

The game sucked and kept getting worse, some changes had to be made.

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 tymeservesfate
Member since 2003 • 2230 Posts

funny seeing so many cows now saying how bad Uncharted's stories were now that she got kicked out...werent ya'll praising the game for years as if the series were the best games ever made. now the story in them all sucked right, and its good that she gone...right? smh lol

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#81 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

@Couth_ said:

@Zaibach said:

Nathan Drake? He's not exactly an iconic character, which is crazy considering the praise the series gets. Also, the best game in the series was one she only co-directed. I welcome this move. I think Uncharted 4 will be way better off for it.

What does this have to do with 'iconic characters?' I said likeable.

exactly what is the turn-around time to becoming an iconic character?

what is an iconic character?

Drake has been around a grand total of 3 games in a span of 5 years

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

Rather than forcing her out, how about they create a third team within the studio and make her go and create a new IP. This move is never never good as she is leaving with 10yrs of experience and hardwork that she put into that studio, i would imagine it has a knock-on effect on the rest of the team who may feel like their jobs are not secure. That said, for those people who think she sucks because of U3, get a grip

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 happyduds77

@megaspiderweb09 said:

Rather than forcing her out, how about they create a third team within the studio and make her go and create a new IP. This move is never never good as she is leaving with 10yrs of experience and hardwork that she put into that studio, i would imagine it has a knock-on effect on the rest of the team who may feel like their jobs are not secure. That said, for those people who think she sucks because of U3, get a grip

Well said.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Zaibach

@DarkLink77 said:

@Zaibach said:

Does any really want an Uncharted as grim as TLOU?

Using someone who's out of a job is pretty tasteless, OP

News is news, yo.

I don't want Uncharted to be as grim as The Last of Us, but they would be much better if they were as well constructed as that game is.

Nothing wrong with Uncharted's construction, Uncharted 2 was one of the best games ever made, as great as TLOU (still playing it) is, having a game with a greater emphasis on levity is good for ND.

Uncharted is goofy, fun and can be serious too when it needs to be it doesn't need to be the 'citizen Kane' of gaming.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@I_can_haz said:

Desperate lem OP looking for ownage. This is nothing really, writers get replaced all the time.

Damage control like that is an absolute slap in the face to her. Cows trying to belittle her position all of a sudden.

She was the creative director and writer of an award winning series. She deserves and has EARNED respect especially from cows who have sung the praises of the series for so long, so how about you cows give it to her. Don't be so pathetic.

Cows are stabbing her in the back by damage controlling just like Naughty Dog are for throwing her away after 10 years of service.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@inb4uall said:

Lol, maybe she'll start working at 343 studios so halo can stop being garbage.

This.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@inb4uall said:

Lol, maybe she'll start working at 343 studios so halo can stop being garbage.

You mean Bungie, so Destiny might not be garbage, 343 made one shit Halo game, Bungie made two since the decent Halo 3. And ODST was properly horrible. but somehow people think Destiny will be awesome.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#89  Edited By IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

Ouch, the news keeps getting worse and worse for Sony. According to IGN, Amy Hennig has left Naughty Dog after 10 years and sources say she was forced out by Druckmann and Straley. Hennig was the Creative director and writer for the Uncharted series, including the new PS4 Uncharted game.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/05/uncharted-ps4-writer-amy-hennig-leaves-naughty-dog

I'll be concerned when Naughty Dog releases a bad game.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

While seeing her lose her job is not worth celebrating, she WAS at the helm of the disaster that was Uncharted 3, so at least something good may come of this. Neil and Bruce > her.

g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

Not good if she left, but kudos to her for her hard work.
Hopefully the change will bring something even better I hope.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Zaibach

@StrongDeadlift said:

While seeing her lose her job is not worth celebrating, she WAS at the helm of the disaster that was Uncharted 3, so at least something good may come of this. Neil and Bruce > her.

I laughed for a solid 2 minutes after reading that errant bullshit.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 mems_1224

@Zaibach said:

@DarkLink77 said:

@Zaibach said:

Does any really want an Uncharted as grim as TLOU?

Using someone who's out of a job is pretty tasteless, OP

News is news, yo.

I don't want Uncharted to be as grim as The Last of Us, but they would be much better if they were as well constructed as that game is.

Nothing wrong with Uncharted's construction, Uncharted 2 was one of the best games ever made, as great as TLOU (still playing it) is, having a game with a greater emphasis on levity is good for ND.

Uncharted is goofy, fun and can be serious too when it needs to be it doesn't need to be the 'citizen Kane' of gaming.

LOL

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

@Zaibach said:

@StrongDeadlift said:

I laughed for a solid 2 minutes after reading that errant bullshit.

okay.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

I hate to say it. Duckman is the man now after The Last of Us

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Thanks for posting Mems. It seems that all is not golden in the house of ND. They can only go downward from TLOU and this shake up might be a indication of how things aren't going smoothly.

This stress will be reflected in the next several games to launch. More 8/10's and some 7/10's on the way.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#98 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

Shame she was pushed out, but with her record, I'm sure she'll find a new home with a new developer.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

She was only one part of a team of people that made the game great. But I can imagine there is a problem when there are two creative directors in a studio. She was defiantly over shadowed by the TLoU dude as he managed to get the best out of the actors they had doing the roles. Does this mean both teams will be going on to make one game now after UC4?