Uncharted Creative Director Forced Out Of Naughty Dog

• 157 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by mems_1224 (46955 posts) -
#2 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -

I was just about to post this.

Frankly, I don't see the issue. Druckmann is a better writer. Maybe the Uncharted series will actually have a narrative worth talking about if he's at the helm.

#3 Edited by Krelian-co (10656 posts) -

lol lems are really desperate for anything

#4 Posted by GTSaiyanjin2 (5863 posts) -

change is good... anyways all the best to Amy

#5 Edited by lostrib (35800 posts) -

That sucks.

#6 Edited by EndlessInfinity (219 posts) -

inb4

jelly from xboxdone

#7 Posted by mems_1224 (46955 posts) -

Frankly, I don't see the issue. Druckmann is a better writer. Maybe the Uncharted series will actually have a narrative worth talking about if he's at the helm.

Word, TLOU's story was so far ahead of anything ND had done before. This was inevitable.

#8 Posted by Jankarcop (9272 posts) -

so are they going to make another movie for me to youtube or not...

#9 Edited by KBFloYd (13420 posts) -

naah...not naughty god...

surely you jest?

#10 Posted by Alcapello (884 posts) -

A new developer up in the air!!! This could mean a new game for the lemmings!!

#11 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -

@DarkLink77 said:

Word, TLOU's story was so far ahead of anything ND had done before. This was inevitable.

Truth.

When the gap in quality is that big, why bother keeping her around? She's got talent, though. She'll find a job pretty easily.

#12 Posted by Sagemode87 (929 posts) -

Worse and worse for Sony? Didn't they just sell 6 million consoles in 4 months? Didn't you just say you're not a Lem, yet you write this as bad news for Sony? Who do you think you're fooling. Lems are desperate clowns lmao.

#13 Posted by lglz1337 (3419 posts) -

Druckmann and Straley bihind uncharted ? nice!! goty confirmed

#14 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16266 posts) -

Is it weird that she wrote one of the best video game stories of this generation (Uncharted 2), but also one of the worst video game stories as well (Uncharted 3)?

#15 Posted by KBFloYd (13420 posts) -

@lglz1337 said:

Druckmann and Straley bihind uncharted ? nice!! goty confirmed

dont you mean best picture of the year...

it'll sweep the oscars easily...

#16 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -

Is it weird that she wrote one of the best video game stories of this generation (Uncharted 2), but also one of the worst video game stories as well (Uncharted 3)?

No, mostly because the story in Uncharted 2 really isn't that good. It's a popcorn flick with nothing of value to say. That's like saying The Avengers has one of the best stories in in film in the last ten years.

#17 Posted by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

Desperate lem OP looking for ownage. This is nothing really, writers get replaced all the time.

#18 Posted by vincent380 (2243 posts) -

Wow sorry to hear that.

#19 Posted by hippiesanta (9838 posts) -

It's time for a real men to make UNCHARTED

#20 Edited by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -

Desperate lem OP looking for ownage. This is nothing really, writers get replaced all the time.

Yeah, but creative directors for major studios don't, especially after working on incredibly successful franchises.

#21 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8720 posts) -

Sucks to see someone lose their job, but I see this as a positive for the Uncharted series.

#22 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8720 posts) -

Oh, and I hear you're a Lem, Mems. >:O

#23 Posted by D4RKL1NG (234 posts) -

You know lems have hit rock bottom when you see all these "SONY IZ Do0o0o0o0med" threads.

I don't think her stories are that great tbh, but it's elevated by her knack for creating great, believable characters.

Either way, it's a loss for ND - one of the most influential women in video games.

#24 Edited by CloudStrife213 (427 posts) -

It's funny how if there is any negative news for Sony, ponies don't make it out as a big deal, and say people are desperate.

But whenever there is negative news for Microsoft, ponies like to jump on the bandwagon of hate and "blow the issue" out of proportion and make a big deal out of it, but if it involves their own beloved company, the amount of downplaying is too damn funny.

If that doesn't sound desperate and hypocritical to you, then I don't know what is.

#25 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (4612 posts) -

"Forced out"

Remind me why we take IGN clickbaiting seriously?

More than likely she completed the writing for it and moved on to do new projects. This is what, the 4th UC game in a decade? Hopefully it's an LOK reboot next.

#26 Edited by HAZE-Unit (10464 posts) -

Agreed I am a bit surprised TLOU was his first game to be director, also the gameplay mechanics and the open-ended area to area approach Bruce Straley did with TLOU, those guys are a perfect match.

#27 Edited by uninspiredcup (8293 posts) -

A superior company like Valve lets employee's do as they please.

#28 Posted by istreakforfood (7749 posts) -

Story wasn't that great.

#29 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -

@DarkLink77 said:

Agreed I am a bit surprised TLOU was his first game to be director, also the gameplay mechanics and the open-ended area to area approach Bruce Straley did with TLOU, those guys are a perfect match.

Pretty much. Doesn't seem like anything of value has been lost. Maybe Square will pick her up and finally work on a new Legacy of Kain game.

#30 Posted by lamprey263 (23506 posts) -

That sucks, I feel when people know what to look for they can see the effects of creative talent being yanked. For instance we can see Capcom suffering from the mass exodus of Capcom employees leaving to form Seeds Inc. / Platinum Games. Or when Glen Schofield or Michael Condry left Visceral / EA for Activision after Dead Space. Or Tomonobu Itagaki leaving Team Ninja. Or David Jaffe leaving work on God of War. Or Scott Henshaw at EA directed on a number of great games from the SSX, SSX Tricky, SSX 3, Def Jam: Vendetta, Def Jam Fight For NY, Need For Speed Most Wanted, and after being promoted moving out of the game director position saw franchises fall to shit. Or Jason West and Vince Zampella leaving Activision during that whole fiasco over Modern Warfare. Changes in leadership are noticeable but hopefully we can live with them. In this case I'm not such a Naughty Dog fan so I'm not upset, but nonetheless I hope the people who are big fans don't see a big change in the quality they've come to expect from the studio.

#31 Posted by Ghost120x (3800 posts) -

It's never good to lose talent. Sad day for Sony indeed.

#32 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16266 posts) -

@JangoWuzHere said:

No, mostly because the story in Uncharted 2 really isn't that good. It's a popcorn flick with nothing of value to say. That's like saying The Avengers has one of the best stories in in film in the last ten years.

I disagree, I think the pacing and events in Uncharted 2 are incredibly well done. The characters are well written and very likeable. The tone is consistent and balances its light hearted and serious tone. A story doesn't have to be incredibly complex to be good. It just has be well done, and Uncharted 2 is a perfectly executed video game story.

#33 Posted by Joedgabe (5111 posts) -

A superior company like Valve lets employee's do as they please.

like... creating games ? right... ?

#34 Posted by Zaibach (13444 posts) -

shame, she has a talent for creating likeable characters.

Does any really want an Uncharted as grim as TLOU?

Using someone who's out of a job is pretty tasteless, OP

#35 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -

@DarkLink77 said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

I disagree, I think the pacing and events in Uncharted 2 are incredibly well done. The characters are well written and very likeable. The tone is consistent and balances its light hearted and serious tone. A story doesn't have to be incredibly complex to be good. It just has be well done, and Uncharted 2 is a perfectly executed video game story.

You're right, it doesn't. But a truly great story generally has complex characters that step out of their archetype, and, at the end of the day, generally has something to say. Uncharted doesn't have either one of those things, which makes it little more than a really good popcorn flick that's cribbing Indiana Jones as hard as it possibly can.

The Last of Us made Uncharted 2 look shallow, poorly constructed, and childish. I can hardly believe it was made (more or less) by the same development team.

#36 Posted by UnbiasedPoster (770 posts) -

In Neil Druckmann I trust. Dude's pretty much on that legendary status at this point.

#37 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -

@Zaibach said:

Does any really want an Uncharted as grim as TLOU?

Using someone who's out of a job is pretty tasteless, OP

News is news, yo.

I don't want Uncharted to be as grim as The Last of Us, but they would be much better if they were as well constructed as that game is.

#38 Edited by Couth_ (10059 posts) -

@Zaibach said:

Nathan Drake? He's not exactly an iconic character, which is crazy considering the praise the series gets. Also, the best game in the series was one she only co-directed. I welcome this move. I think Uncharted 4 will be way better off for it.

#39 Posted by Netret0120 (2084 posts) -

She shall be missed but i am sure UC4 will still be great. Lems are desperate for anything bad.

The butthurt is tangible.

#40 Posted by Gue1 (9763 posts) -

I just hope that Druckmann doesn't turn the game into a pessimistic kind of story telling by killing important characters just for shock value like he wanted to do with Elena on Uncharted 2 or Tess on TLOU. Uncharted really isn't about a gritty/dark stories...

#41 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (4612 posts) -

She shall be missed but i am sure UC4 will still be great. Lems are desperate for anything bad.

Only thing funnier are the lems begging Great Phil Spencer to hire her.

Maybe she can work on that new IP by Black Tusk. Oh wait.

#42 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26430 posts) -

whats bad about the story? Yea its clich but the characters are enjoyable.

#43 Posted by lostrib (35800 posts) -

@Netret0120 said:

Only thing funnier are the lems begging Great Phil Spencer to hire her.

Maybe she can work on that new IP by Black Tusk. Oh wait.

Source?

#44 Posted by Alcapello (884 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

@DarkLink77 said:

Truth.

When the gap in quality is that big, why bother keeping her around? She's got talent, though. She'll find a job pretty easily.

Hopefully.

#45 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -

@DarkLink77 said:

whats bad about the story? Yea its clich but the characters are enjoyable.

The characters are also incredibly boring and predictable down to exact lines of dialogue. Nathan Drake is also a legitimately terrible person.

#46 Posted by inb4uall (5458 posts) -

Lol, maybe she'll start working at 343 studios so halo can stop being garbage.

#47 Edited by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -

@DarkLink77 said:

@mems_1224 said:

@DarkLink77 said:

Truth.

Hopefully.

The woman worked on The Legacy of Kain, Jak, and Uncharted. She'll be fine, especially in an industry filled to the brim with awful writers.

#48 Posted by HAZE-Unit (10464 posts) -

@HAZE-Unit said:

@DarkLink77 said:

Pretty much. Doesn't seem like anything of value has been lost. Maybe Square will pick her up and finally work on a new Legacy of Kain game.

That would awesome!

#49 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

Hilarious how lems will grasp onto just about anything...like a drowning puppy, I order to try and save a little face. Your Xbox is done. Nobody wants it. Directors come and go. Hell...weren't there folks saying uncharted 3 was a disappointment? If Druckmann thought this was the right move, you have to trust him.

Now...back to dog paddling.

#50 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -