Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Hear what he says at 1:05

Like if people didn't harass him for the reviews of Zelda Skyward Sword and The Last of Us.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52446 Posts

Gaming cred?

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

Dear god look at all the thick rimmed glasses and flannel shirts.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Careful...

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0367b217732
deactivated-5b0367b217732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By deactivated-5b0367b217732
Member since 2014 • 1697 Posts

Yeah, I don't give a crap.

Last Of Us: 8/10. That's all I need to know. Fucking idiot...

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

You Gamergaters should spend more time playing games.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lostrib

@hernandezzzz: oh that was a good flop

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

Skyward Sword was the only review I can agree on.....

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#12 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14419 Posts

I'll be happy to give this guy some of my time. He really knows what he's talking about.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

so guys, when you complain about a review and the reviewer happen to be a female, always remember that the reason you don't agree with what's written there it's because she's a woman. Now we'll never be able to disagree with what a woman says about anything because otherwise, it's sexist.

Another thing to remember is that men never get harassed online, it's only women just because they are women.

I feel like this is a relevant video:

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-586249e1b64ba
deactivated-586249e1b64ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-586249e1b64ba
Member since 2004 • 7629 Posts

Oh for ****'s sake...

This is about the benefits of being male, as in "If I were female, I'd be _____ just because I'm female". Yes, there are reasons why we shit on people. Men and women get stalked, harassed, sent death threats, etc. for shit they do. Yes, we're still shitting on McShea for his review of The Last of Us because he done messed up. That's fair.

That's not the fucking point of this video or what he presented. At all.

This is about what's unfair and what he presented is true: Guy's don't get asked about their gamer cred just 'cause they're guys. Females do not get this same benefit. Women in gaming, even at high levels of play, do not get taken seriously at all and that's a problem as that invites the actual fucked up stuff for no good reason.

-----

For the sake of posterity, here's a full transcript of the video:

• I can choose to remain completely oblivious, or indifferent to the harassment that many women face in gaming spaces.
  • I am never told that video games or the surrounding culture is not intended for me because I am male.
  • I can publicly post my username, gamertag or contact information online without having to fear being stalked or sexually harassed because of my gender.
  • I will never be asked to “prove my gaming cred” simply because of my gender.
  • If I enthusiastically express my fondness for video games no one will automatically assume I’m faking my interest just to “get attention” from other gamers.
  • I can look at practically any gaming website, show, or magazine and see the voices of people of my own gender widely represented.
  • When I go to a gaming event or convention, I can be relatively certain that I won’t be harassed, groped, propositioned or catcalled by total strangers.
  • I will never be asked or expected to speak for all other gamers who share my gender.
  • I can be sure that my gaming performance (good or bad) won’t be attributed to or reflect on my gender as a whole.
  • My gaming ability will never be called into question based on unrelated natural biological functions.
  • I can be relatively sure my thoughts about video games won’t be dismissed or attacked based solely on my tone of voice, even if I speak in an aggressive, obnoxious, crude or flippant manner.
  • I can openly say that my favorite games are casual, odd, non-violent, artistic, or cute without fear that my opinions will reinforce a stereotype that “men are not real gamers.”
  • When purchasing most major video games in a store, chances are I will not be asked if (or assumed to be) buying it for a wife, daughter or girlfriend.
  • The vast majority of game studios, past and present, have been led and populated primarily by people of my own gender and as such most of their products have been specifically designed to cater to my demographic.
  • I can walk into any gaming store and see images of my gender widely represented as powerful heroes, dastardly villains and non-playable characters alike.
  • I will almost always have the option to play a character of my gender, as most protagonists or heroes will be male by default.
  • I do not have to carefully navigate my engagement with online communities or gaming spaces in order to avoid or mitigate the possibility of being harassed because of my gender.
  • I probably never think about hiding my real-life gender online through my gamer-name, my avatar choice, or by muting voice-chat, out of fear of harassment resulting from my being male.
  • When I enter an online game, I can be relatively sure I won’t be attacked or harassed when and if my real-life gender is made public
  • If I am trash-talked or verbally berated while playing online, it will not be because I am male nor will my gender be invoked as an insult.
  • While playing online with people I don’t know I won’t be interrogated about the size and shape of my real-life body parts, nor will I be pressured to share intimate details about my sex life for the pleasure of other players.
  • Complete strangers generally do not send me unsolicited images of their genitalia or demand to see me naked on the basis of being a male gamer.
  • In multiplayer games I can be pretty sure that conversations between other players will not focus on speculation about my “attractiveness” or “sexual availability” in real-life.
  • If I choose to point out sexism in gaming, my observations will not be seen as self-serving, and will therefore be perceived as more credible and worthy of respect than those of my female counterparts, even if they are saying the exact same thing.
  • Because it was created by a straight white man, this checklist will likely be taken more seriously than if it had been written by virtually any female gamer.
mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mikhail

@Gue1 said:

so guys, when you complain about a review and the reviewer happen to be a female, always remember that the reason you don't agree with what's written there it's because she's a woman. Now we'll never be able to disagree with what a woman says about anything because otherwise, it's sexist.

For fucks sake...talk about an agenda. Go away with this crap.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

The key words here were "because of my gender" and let's be real, that's not a lie.

Some of you people need to find a way to accept that you can like this medium, love it even, and accept that it has some drawbacks.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

McShea is the worst cancer that could happen to gamespot and one of the reasons this site is considered nothing more than a joke, do developers even consider gamespot for their review copies?

Zethrickk382

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Zethrickk382
Member since 2013 • 480 Posts

@hernandezzzz: "And an even better layoff. I normally don't wish that on people, but this dude was clearly in the wrong line of work.

He should try fishing, he's already awesome at baiting."

Very accurate. lol

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22764 Posts

Jesus I'm gonna puke... Wtf is happening here....?

That video was seriously the epitome of everything that is wrong in gaming...

Between the lack of ingenuity in modern gaming, the monetization of gaming over the enjoyment of it and backward ass political correctness gurus who are now infecting what was once a pure form of human creation that inspired characters as beloved as samus aran and Lara croft, I am quite certain that the hobby I grew up adoring is in its death rattle... It has to be because listening to that was painful as ****.

None of those people speak for me and I don't share their grief as I've never cared whos genitals play what games.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Oh boy I can't WAIT to play all the homogenized, charmless, PC, "safe and doesn't offend anyone" games that await me in the future.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Yeah, calling McShea a "bitch" or whatever else is thrown at him is the mature way of responding to the gist of the video at hand.

Sometimes I really hate this community.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

@TheEroica said:

Between the lack of ingenuity in modern gaming, the monetization of gaming over the enjoyment of it and backward ass political correctness gurus who are now infecting what was once a pure form of human creation that inspired characters as beloved as samus aran and Lara croft, I am quite certain that the hobby I grew up adoring is in its death rattle... It has to be because listening to that was painful as ****.

None of those people speak for me and I don't share their grief as I've never cared whos genitals play what games.

I think that's sort of the point. Women don't have the representation in gaming, or have it freely to the point where it's not bitched about about by the community. Women do get harrassed their worth in this medium. How many people ripped into Jade Raymond being just a pretty face, while completely ignoring that as a producer she's had an incredibly successful career. Or the premise that Anita made a handful of videos, which whatever not even going to argue how good her videos are, or the part where she takes things out of context. She presented what are fundamentally tropes that are offensive to one gender, and they are common place in gaming. She then proceeded to be harassed. Likewise plenty of other people defending, the males who act obnoxiously defending her? barely anything. Felicity Day on the flip side makes a well written, reasoned, non bitchy write up....ripped a new one, because clearly she doesn't know shit about games, because she never played Starcraft or something.

Gaming media has been aggressively shitty, but conversely the gaming community (again not generalizing, specifically the bad apples, the barrel is perfectly fine) has been just as aggressive and repulsive in their counter arguments. In many ways Anita has been vindicated one too many times by people who don't know how to respect a notion that a chick actually has a right to be treated decently.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Man this thread is awful lol. Some of you can't be older than 15.

I don't get why is McShea the one that gets mad fun of? Tim Schafer is in that video but I doubt anyone here would dare talk shit about him.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27 B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

@Blabadon said:

Yeah, calling McShea a "bitch" or whatever else is thrown at him is the mature way of responding to the gist of the video at hand.

The way of the MOB... "pitchfork and torches for sale. Buy two get the third free."

You expect more.. Then thrown the masks of the internet on top to hide the cesspool of filth.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mikhail

@Aljosa23 said:

I don't get why is McShea the one that gets mad fun of? Tim Schafer is in that video but I doubt anyone here would dare talk shit about him.

Because Sony fanboys are still flipping out that McShea gave TLOU an 8/10.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

What really offends me is the horrible lightning and production values in this video. Jesus it only makes all those guys look uglier.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mikhail

@Blabadon said:

I'm pretty sure the bitch comment was directed at Anita Sarkeesian, it's a Feminist Frequency video.

But yeah, this community is only good for stopping by and occasionally arguing with console fanboys about their beloved platforms. For any other kind of serious issues, System Wars (!!!) is worthless.

By the way mods - why is this a legit "System Wars Topic"?

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

@mikhail said:

@Aljosa23 said:

"AN 8!!! Burn this fucker to the ground and kill all in the path of my wrath!!!" -Dumbass 101

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#32 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@mikhail said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Unrelated to the topic at hand of people being awful, but would just like to reiterize the fact McShea gave Uncharted 2 a 9.5, the highest rated Sony exclusive in 5 years now.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lostrib

@Desmonic said:

Fairly pointless to point fingers at someone who doesn't even work here anymore TC. Even though some mods wanted ban the whole of SW when he was fired lololol

I believe some people did get banned, or at least suspended for a while

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#35 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts

Well, I can say this much:

Some of the things on that list are true, some are VERY true, some are disingenuous, and some are just rather silly and rather irrelevant. But, in the end, the assertion that I'd take it more seriously from a male... nope. Actually I take this issue a lot more seriously from my niece's gaming experiences (who has experienced some issues) than I ever would from a man, who the whole point is doesn't experience the crap that women does so he probably at best is just regurgitating what he has been told rather than testifying on such personally.

There is some real issues out there, the problem is much of this debate isn't centered on those issues, it is instead been focused on the really dumb stuff that just needlessly muddies the waters.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator

@jg4xchamp: I agree with every word you just wrote, I just don't like that were shedding more light on the bad apples while simultaneously grouping this industry and it's followers as misogynistic D-bags.

Maybe I shouldn't take offense as someone who has always believed the hobby was for everyone of any tastes, but I watch that shit and it makes me feel like the losers that actually are gender hating elitists.

I love discussion, and I don't doubt that the things people bring up in defense of a more open industry are fact... But i do have great issue with generalization.... Who exactly is that video for?

Like you said, there are certainly issues within the industry, whether they effect all or a vocal minority, they are there, but please don't group the folks that adore games and gamers in with it....

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@Blabadon said:

not the mature, just the honest.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TheEroica  Moderator

I do have to say that it would be fun to discuss the points and leave the last of us flop score out of it. There's great discussion to be had here on both sides of the aisle.

Mr-Powers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Mr-Powers
Member since 2013 • 508 Posts

This thread reminds me of why gamers still have a bad name, and probably always will.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

I have no idea what the TC is trying to say.

Kevin V is the video too. So................................what?

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Oh c'mon is this PC spot? People can express how they feel about Mcshit if they want.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TheEroica  Moderator

@mikhail: System Wars itself doesn't need to be strictly discussing "this vs that" I think good discussion about the industries hot bed issues fit right in with the discussions and hot bed issues we deal with as gamers.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178854 Posts
@jg4xchamp said:

@TheEroica said:

I think that's sort of the point. Women don't have the representation in gaming, or have it freely to the point where it's not bitched about about by the community. Women do get harrassed their worth in this medium. How many people ripped into Jade Raymond being just a pretty face, while completely ignoring that as a producer she's had an incredibly successful career. Or the premise that Anita made a handful of videos, which whatever not even going to argue how good her videos are, or the part where she takes things out of context. She presented what are fundamentally tropes that are offensive to one gender, and they are common place in gaming. She then proceeded to be harassed. Likewise plenty of other people defending, the males who act obnoxiously defending her? barely anything. Felicity Day on the flip side makes a well written, reasoned, non bitchy write up....ripped a new one, because clearly she doesn't know shit about games, because she never played Starcraft or something.

Gaming media has been aggressively shitty, but conversely the gaming community (again not generalizing, specifically the bad apples, the barrel is perfectly fine) has been just as aggressive and repulsive in their counter arguments. In many ways Anita has been vindicated one too many times by people who don't know how to respect a notion that a chick actually has a right to be treated decently.

Well said. I can't wrap my head around why a lot of male gamers feel threatened over this.

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

@hernandezzzz: An 8 is enough reason to wish ill will to somebody? Lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0367b217732
deactivated-5b0367b217732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#46  Edited By deactivated-5b0367b217732
Member since 2014 • 1697 Posts

@SexyJazzCat said:

@hernandezzzz: An 8 is enough reason to wish ill will to somebody? Lol.

I'm walking up to his house with a torch, right now. See ya in five.

Seriously though, I hope he has a long and fulfilling life, I just don't think he's a good reviewer. Showing up in such a ridiculous video doesn't help, either. Let's be 100% honest here: we don't harass women, we harass everyone.

Loading Video...

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

wait wait wait....they support this lady. If anything being associated with this women makes you nothing but a joke to me. I dont care if your male,female,trans,alien or what have you.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#48  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59079 Posts

My friends; I see a huge paradox.

We have both gamespot and IGN staff members on celebrity feminists "Anita Sarkeesian" youtube channel; attempting to inform us cretins in a self important "save the world" manner.

But, the very workplace they inhabit/ed; inherently drives and promotes sexism. Woman are quite literately eye catching objects to be leered at.

I believe this is what they call "hypocrisy".

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

And I should care about what Anita Sarkeesian and that Tom guy says because...?

DanGaikowski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DanGaikowski
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

that video was painful to watch, reaks of white knight mangina